How long does Cytomel take to start working?
Cytomel starts working within a few hours, but its maximum effect can take two to three days to occur. It only takes 4 hours for 95% of a dose of Cytomel to be totally absorbed. If you are taking Cytomel daily, then after a few days it will work continuously, without any drop in effect, and you should notice a reduction in your symptoms of hypothyroidism within 2 to 3 days of starting Cytomel. Symptoms of hypothyroidism include tiredness, increased sensitivity to cold, constipation, and dry skin.
Cytomel contains liothyronine in a sodium salt form (also called LT3) which is a man-made form of one of our naturally occurring thyroid hormones, also called liothyronine. Cytomel may be used to increase levels of thyroid hormone in the body and treat hypothyroidism (low thyroid levels). It may also be given to help manage thyroid cancer in addition to surgery and radiotherapy, or to help diagnose conditions such as mild hyperthyroidism (high thyroid levels).
- Cytomel. Updated 06/2021. Pfizer Laboratories Div Pfizer Inc https://www.drugs.com/pro/cytomel.html
Related medical questions
- Can I take Cytomel and Synthroid together?
- Does Cytomel help with weight loss?
- How long does Cytomel stay in your system?
- What is the best way to reduce swelling in your face?
- Does Armour Thyroid cause weight gain or weight loss?
- Can Euthyrox cause weight loss?
- Can Armour Thyroid cause high blood pressure?
- Can Tirosint cause weight gain or loss?
- Can Armour Thyroid make you tired?
- Why is there a shortage of Nature-Throid?
- Who makes Euthyrox and where is it manufactured?
- Cytomel Information for Consumers
- Cytomel Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Cytomel (detailed)