User Reviews for Synthroid

Learn more about Synthroid.

Myxedema Coma 1 reviews 19 medications

Underactive Thyroid 60 reviews 32 medications

6.4
Summary of Synthroid reviews 125 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Synthroid

For Underactive Thyroid "I have been on synthroid for approx 10 years. Here are several points that I have learned: 1. You may initially start feeling better in a couple weeks but It takes MONTHS to see the full effects. 2. Depending on your TSH levels, your Dr should start you at a low dosage and gradually increase as needed. Starting with too high of a dosage is shock to your body and will even make you feel more tired as your body is working overtime. 3. See a Physician who is very familiar with thyroid issues. If you are not seeing positive results with family Dr. see an Endocrinologist! Many of the negative comments I have read may be a result of your Dr not understanding this disorder. 4. There are alternatives if this medicine is not working."

Jaybee63 May 24, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "After my thyroid surgery, I was put on Synthroid. I continued to get WORSE until I was nearly totally bedridden. I did some research and after several months, found a doctor who prescribed medications other than synthroid. I started taking a Natural desiccated thyroid (NDT) medicine. Within two weeks, I woke up and felt like getting out of bed. I continued to improve, however my strength never came back. I am totally confined to a wheelchair now."

JakeBuddy April 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid "After seeing my ob for some problems with menstruation, I was sent for about 10 different blood test to check my hormone levels. Let's just say that we found the source of my problem and I was referred to an endocrinologist. She wanted to repeat my TSH level cause she said that being at 3.65 was a little high for someone my age. So I went back within 4 weeks to get retested and my TSH was 10.36 and I was feeling it. I was so tired I could barely get out of bed. My headaches were out of control and I gained about 10 lbs in a months time. I just started 75mg Synthroid a few days ago so I'm feeling optimistic. I feel once we get my pituitary adenoma, thyroid and my vitamin D under control I'll be so much better. ADVICE: listen to your body."

ThisGurl (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer & had a total thyroidectomy & also lost one parathyroid. The dr used high levels of iodine during my surgery and my endocrinologist had to put me on an iodine free diet for 4 months to clear it from my body. During this time I wasn't allowed to take any thyroid meds at all. I spent that entire time in bed under an electric blanket turned on high during a Vegas summer. Nothing normal there. I was a zombie. I had to have help to use the bathroom, shower & everything I was so weak. After RAI I started Synthroid. A few months later I noticed small improvements but gained 50# within the first year. It's been 7 years now and I'm worse all the time. I've lost my life to this. I'm switching to Armour."

QueenJennifer February 17, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid "Weight gain"

Margaretx January 24, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "I ended up with an emergency complete thyroidectomy after an ultrasound revealed the tumors ((2 in each lobe of my thyroid) had grown and were the culprit to me having to turn my head to the left to swallow food or to even drink liquid. After years of taking levithyroxine I was put onto the brand name Synthroid. At worst, my levels were 86.4. Yes, you read that correctly. My my hair falls out in clumps, tired, exhausted, body aches and joint pain, chronic fatigue, etc. now my routine is to take my synthroid at bedtime with vitamin c. I wake up fine, I'm down from 325 to 181 and I feel great! Please remember your thyroid takes weeks/months to change, you won't notice anything three days to a month into taking this"

mizzgigglzyahoo.com December 30, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid "Synthroid makes my eyes have a burning sensation."

Sannee (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid "I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism on the last days of October of this year.. My doctor prescribed me 50mcg levothyroxine distributed by Mylan. I was only on the medication for 3 days! The medicine made me so fatigued and tired I could hardly go through my day without wanting to pass out and go to sleep. And not only that but my chest was feeling really uncomfortable. It felt like someone had put 20 pounds on my chest and overall having difficulty taking a deep breathe. My doctor then prescribed me the brand name Synthroid with only 25mcg. I had energy like I havent had in a year, but on the third day i was having shortness of breath, my heart was beating so hard& fast &I felt so lightheaded. Seriously, scariest experience i have had."

bbynekomata (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "This stuff is terrible. I switched to ndt and am doing way better. Please google stop the thyroid madness as synthoids popularity is madness."

Sadie99 October 29, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid "I was falling a sleep every time I sat down - even at the computer, rocking a baby, in a car ride. I was trying to lose weight, but gaining instead. Someone would touch me and I would start sweating. I am 58. I have been on Synthroid (not generic) for 6 days now. I too am feeling a whole lot better. I was at 202 lbs 10 days ago. Today I am at 187.6 lbs. I did fall a sleep at the computer again last night, but my energy level is coming back."

ccgv6 October 23, 2016

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "Took 1.0 right after surgery for ten years. Then special ist concerned to high. Conservative drop to .95 then dropped to .88 when dropped to .88 was very tired put on 5 lbs in 5 dayswas a weight watchers person has lost 20 pounds took me ten months to lose 20 then change in dosage gain 5 pounds added steps up to 20000 a day and cut portions back more finally ten months later have kept 20 pounds off . I worked hard to do this since the change from .95 to .88 made me very tired. Now they want to drop it to 65? I am still tired constipated and do not understand why if I am borderline? Whatever that means why would you stop it to .65 very disappointed. Have moved to clovis California will have to find new doctor. Change in meds really stressed"

.otherofonyx October 9, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "I was 1st diagnosed w/hyperparathyroidism.The dr. said it wasn't bad to just watch it.After a couple of years it got worse-I saw another dr. & he did 6 biopsy's-found that I had Papillary Cancer-following mo. I had my thyroid & 2 parathyroids removed-surgeon put me on 100mcg of generic Synthroid-seemed to be doing ok until I had the RAI, twice, then everything messed up. I was still having hair loss, ears ringing, teeth getting bad, bathroom habits were never the same, cramps, affected my salivary glands permanently so I'm dry all the time plus I've put on 25 lbs. I eat, I don't eat, it doesn't matter, the weight will not come off.The Endo dr. changed my dosage to 112mcg & I seemed to be doing better.I am back to 100mcg w/previous symptoms."

firephilking (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid "I was taking Levothyroxin 50mcg for the past 3 months. My initial tsh was 13 when I started Levo; within 2 months my tsh dropped to 2.5. Although my levels were normal, I continued to have some fatigue, sleepy upon waking, night sweats, facial flushing, anxiety, and horrible brain fog. I decided to try my sample of Synthroid 50mcg and within a week, the brain fog, night sweats and sleepiness were gone! I wake up with the most energy I have ever had! I am still experiencing some anxiety and facial flushing which we are monitoring but overall Synthroid is working for me! I am 32 y o and 9 months post partum. I also take my dose at nights, hours after dinner"

Kat_PK (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2016

54 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid "MUST be taken at night - and it absolutely seems to work for me. No more brain fog - and for someone who was always a go getter - the brain fog was devastating. No more night sweats either. Those were the worst."

LuckyGal84 August 30, 2016

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "Had my thyroid removed at age 9 (cancer) 38 yrs ago. Been on Synthroid ever since then. My dosage has changed over the years. I am now on 150 mg (blue tablets) I have been getting a all over skin rash and itching for the last 4 months. After numerous tests my doctor told me it may be the dye in the blue 150 mg tablets. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I just switched today to take the 50 mg (white tablets with no dye) three times a day. I am hoping this was the problem."

angela f August 16, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "Thyroid was removed 3 years ago due to hashimoto and nodule hyperplasia. Surgery discovered a substernal thyroid. Prior to surgery and attempts to reduce goiter with synthroid, felt terrible everyday. Multiple diagnosis due to muscle pain,fatigue, insonima, stomach upset, rapid heart beat, irrational blood pressure. Take synthroid every morning 1 hour prior to breakfast. Feel great. No negative side effects. All above symptoms are gone. Age 59!"

Dele August 16, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid "Diagnosed with Graves disease, my thyroid was radiated and destroyed. Put on synthyroid, took a while to get dosage right, but I have been on it for 8 years now and without it I would want to die. I take 100 mcg a day and I set my phone alarm to go off same time every day so I won't forget it."

AmyBill August 13, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid "For the first few years I had my OB/GYN monitoring my thyroid and adjusting my Levothyroxine… What a mistake! I never felt good and come to find out he was doing it wrong. Not doing the right test to monitor my levels and decreasing my dose when he should've been increasing. I started to see an endocrinologist and WOW! What a difference. He switched me to namebrand Synthroid only (which made a difference) and checks my levels twice a year to make sure I'm on the correct dose. I feel amazing for the first time in years!"

Bonnylee (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2016

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid "I feel awful! I have been on this drug for 6 weeks! I have so many side effects 1. Very tired ( no Energy) 2. Nausea 3. Headache 4. Can't sleep ( even if I take a sleeping) 5 Always feel Hot 6. Sweating 7. Clammy skin (have to the fan on on all the time) I live in Canada so it not that hot. Never felt so sick."

Teddykat July 31, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid "I'm hypothyroid and skinny as a rail and cannot even gain a single pound, 58 yo, 5'6" 88 lbs, thyroid damaged through radiation, have been on synthroid/levothyroxin 50 mcg daily, and I notice no change at all, still no energy, still totally exhaust 24/7,still losing weight like crazy with a relatively healthy appetite. However, since I totally trust my oncologist, I keep taking them."

dvdbrian July 19, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid "I can almost guarantee that most of these negative reviews are due to either 1. Taking the medication incorrectly (generic works for some not all), too close to food or iron,calcium, some antidepressants interfere) 2. Taking the incorrect dose 3. Not being consistent(must be close to the same time daily ) I had gone through many changes before finally getting it right. Seems to be working good after getting on brand name and taking it seriously."

John jacob July 9, 2016

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "I had my thyroid out in Feb. of 2016. I was put on 125mgr of generic Synthroid. My blood sugar was dropping below 50 on a daily basis. I looked the problem up on the internet and found that people had the same problem and advocated that I take the brand name drug to correct the problem. For the past two months I have been on the name brand and I seem to be leveling out in the high 60s with my sugar which is ok. I am stuck paying the extra charge not covered by my insurance. roughly $32 per month for 30 pills. Have had no weight gain yet which I am very happy about. I am going to ask my doctor at the end of this month to increase my dosage to bring my sugar up into the 80s or even 90s where it belongs."

Vinojack (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid "will ruin your life"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "I had my thyroid removed about 2 years ago. I weighed about 190. I was put on 125 mcg Synthroid right after the surgery. I lost about 20 pounds without trying at all. My dosage was increased to 175 mcg. I then started gaining weight. My endocrinologist increased my dosage to 200 mcg. My weight went up to 224 lbs. Never weighed so much before. I've been told by a couple of other doctors that the higher doses of Synthroid should cause weight loss, not gain. I am 72 years old. In general, I have aches and pains, something wrong every day. Don't know if that's Synthroid related or not. But I am very uncomfortable with all this weight, just doing everyday things."

Anonymous April 12, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "I have been on Synthroid 15 years now, two years ago my insurance company would not cover Synthroid any more so they sent me the generic. I broke out in a rash and felt awful. My Dr wrote for synthroid only. I am paying 288.00 a year now out of pocket instead of 16.00. I am not sure what happen but my belly has been bloated every since and I have gained 40 pounds! My new Dr of Internal Medicine does not seem to care and says it's my age bla bla bla. I told her I wanted to be tested for hashimoto and she said there was no doubt in her mind that I have it. My thyroid is totally not working and i am taking 125 Mcg a day. I am not sure what else I can do as she does not seem to want to help. Me gaining 40 pounds is not acceptable."

Gizelle March 24, 2016