User Reviews for Synthroid

Synthroid has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 170 ratings on Drugs.com. 52% of those users who reviewed Synthroid reported a positive effect, while 34% reported a negative effect.

Underactive Thyroid
Myxedema Coma
Summary of Synthroid reviews 6.2 170 reviews

Reviews for Synthroid

laura April 24, 2021

For Underactive Thyroid: “Amazing!! I started on 25 mcg brand Synthroid then 50 mcg and now I'm on 75 mcg I almost feel like the old me my TSH went from 11 to 1.7 I wake up 4 am take my medicine and go back to sleep till my 6am alarm I have a cup of coffee when I get up to start my day.”

Celeste · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2021

For Hashimoto's disease: “Took this for ~3 months, and the only side effect I experienced was hair loss (more than I'm comfortable with).”

CatB · Taken for 10 years or more November 27, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “I have been on Synthroid since 1993. Prior to starting it, I couldn't lose weight no matter what I did. It was and is the help I needed. After being on Synthroid for about a decade, my insurance requested I switch to a generic. After a couple of months, my TSH levels were no longer balanced and my dose was increased. After nearly a year of no control, no matter what dose I was on, my levels and symptoms wouldn't stabilize. My doctor and I realized the change happened when I was switched to the generic. It took several months back on the Synthroid before I was stable again. No more generics for me, now it's my wallet getting lighter because of how expensive it is. But at least my levels are stable.”

Robert2013 March 11, 2013

For Underactive Thyroid: “Synthroid saved my life....been taking it for almost four years now. I had all of the worst symptoms in the worst way of a basically dead thyroid. I was feeling better within a week of taking it and continued to feel better and better every day for about the next six months. That's when it leveled off and I've been happy (and grateful) ever since. It took about a year or so to lose all of the weight I gained as a result of crummy thyroid. The weight just came right off after taking Synthroid. I'm on 225Mcg per day with very minimal side effects...so minimal that I can't recall what they are at the moment.”

sharonc2006 · Taken for 10 years or more January 19, 2014

For Underactive Thyroid: “Reading all the posts/comments on here - PEOPLE - if you are still feeling bad and not noticing relief from symptoms of an underactive thryoid PLEASE TELL YOUR doctor. If your doctor disagrees with you then find an ENDOCRINOLOGIST to get a second opinion. They specialize in endocrine issues which the thyroid falls under. You know your own body better than your doctor - research the symptoms of an underactive thryoid and if you are still feeling them - then get a second opinion. Never stop taking this medication on your own, it takes 4 to 6 And be aware that when you start this m weeks to notice a difference in your body. Also, ask your doctor to write DISPENSE AS WRITTEN on your prescription to avoid the pharmacy giving generic”

Wonttakesynthroid · Taken for 10 years or more February 16, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “I was on Synthroid for 10 years. I was in so much pain in my joints, I couldn't function. This is a known side effect of this medicine. My numbers were where they were supposed to be per the doctors, but I still felt tired and my hair was still falling out. After my husband and I did research, we worked with my doctor and switched to Armour Thyroid. Within 6 weeks my pain was gone, I felt better. I wasn't tired and my hair was falling out. No matter what medicine you use - you know how you should feel. Do the research and work with your doctor. Only you know how you should feel. Don't depend on the doctor to tell you.”

RD · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 10, 2019

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I'm so sorry to read all of the terrible experiences some people have had. I can only speak to my situation. I had my thyroid ablated about 5 years ago. It was absolutely the right & necessary thing for me. I am currently taking 88mcg Synthroid, daily. It works great for me. I'm extremely sensitive to meds, so my dr opted to start me on a low dose & check my levels every month until I got a "normal" result. It took a few months. I now am tested every year, but also go by how I'm feeling. My dr is very understanding. FIND A GOOD DR. This med has worked great for me. I'm able to maintain a healthy weight, my hair stopped coming out, my nails are stronger, I have plenty of energy. My other lab numbers are great. I hope this helps someone.”

lost31 November 20, 2013

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “My thyroid disease was caught by my determination to find the real cause to my sudden physical & mental change. Long story short I had thyroid cancer twice (2010 & 2012). April 2013 was thyroidectomy, radiation 3 months later. It's taken all my strength not to give up. I'm finally on 175mcg & my endocrinologist is brushing off my complaints of being depressed over nothing, tired, weak, cold, forgetful, wake up to aching feet. She said 2.1 is in range & Synthroid is the solution. It isn't enough! It or my dose isn't jiving with my body. I'm so tired of being tired. Some days it feels like I have cinder blocks tied to my feet.”

Doesn’t matter · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 3, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “This stuff is just awful ! I’ve had my TSH go as high as 52.0 (wasn’t aware is was that out of control) and felt better than, than I do now on years of treatment on brand name synthroid! Endocrinologist just doesn’t seem to agree ? And now I have a whole new set of symptoms such as itchiness all over, horrible anxiety, headaches, weight gain, the list goes on and on, and nothing new has been added to my daily routine, I know it’s this medication, I hate it. Just throwing this out there for anyone else that so that you know your not crazy ! Good luck !”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2013

For Underactive Thyroid: “Only been on this medicine for 4 days and it has already made a huge difference in how I feel. The depression was awful and the intolerance to the cold was bone chilling. I hope things continue to look up. So far so good!”

Retazlaw · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 21, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “To be honest I'm not a person who has ever taken medications. So when my physician told me I had a under active thyroid I didn't really know what to think because I didn't feel as though I had any of the common symptoms. I just thought the symptoms the doctor mentioned were just normal ageing since I am 55 years old. I have been taking this medication now for a little over 4 months and have started to see some noticeable changes. 1) my hair stopped falling out. 2) nails started growing faster and stronger. 3) All around much more energy. 4) Able to focus better. So far I have been very happy with the results. I cannot give this a total 10 because everything has room for improvement.”

John jacob July 9, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: “I can almost guarantee that most of these negative reviews are due to either 1. Taking the medication incorrectly (generic works for some not all), too close to food or iron,calcium, some antidepressants interfere) 2. Taking the incorrect dose 3. Not being consistent(must be close to the same time daily ) I had gone through many changes before finally getting it right. Seems to be working good after getting on brand name and taking it seriously.”

ccgv6 October 23, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: “I was falling a sleep every time I sat down - even at the computer, rocking a baby, in a car ride. I was trying to lose weight, but gaining instead. Someone would touch me and I would start sweating. I am 58. I have been on Synthroid (not generic) for 6 days now. I too am feeling a whole lot better. I was at 202 lbs 10 days ago. Today I am at 187.6 lbs. I did fall a sleep at the computer again last night, but my energy level is coming back.”

Jaybee63 May 24, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid: “I have been on synthroid for approx 10 years. Here are several points that I have learned: 1. You may initially start feeling better in a couple weeks but It takes MONTHS to see the full effects. 2. Depending on your TSH levels, your Dr should start you at a low dosage and gradually increase as needed. Starting with too high of a dosage is shock to your body and will even make you feel more tired as your body is working overtime. 3. See a Physician who is very familiar with thyroid issues. If you are not seeing positive results with family Dr. see an Endocrinologist! Many of the negative comments I have read may be a result of your Dr not understanding this disorder. 4. There are alternatives if this medicine is not working.”

Cookie · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 28, 2019

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I had a total thyroidectomy in 2016 after being on thyroid pills for ten years for hyperthyroidism and graves . I also had huge nodules and tumors. After surgery I started on a low dose of Levothyroxine and without even reading my blood work after surgery my Endocronolgy doctor changed my meds I felt fine and wasn’t gaining weight . Then he kept changing it and I started gaining . I went from 90 lbs to 155 lbs in three years and I barely even eat . My current thyroid doctor won’t do a full thyroid panel nor change my dose-age and ignoring my symptoms. I felt better at 125 mcg of Levothyroxine because I was able to lose but he put me back on 100 . I barely eat and get exercise yet I still can’t lose and keep gaining it’s very frustrating.”

Hyper by Nature · Taken for 10 years or more November 23, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “I am a 57 year old women who has hypothyroidism been taking 100mcg of synthroid for 10yrs I dread taking this pill every morning I feel like I have a out of body experience blood rushes to your brain and the anxiety hair loss now experience muscle and joint pains itch all over brain fog insomnia. For the past week I have been cutting it in half I will be stopping this crazy cycle I have lost so much weight just from the anxiety and insomnia I do not want to have to live off a synthetic pill and Klonopin and be told I am depressed I feel better without it”

Anonymous March 17, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “Synthroid is terrible it fave me an exacerbation of mental health symptoms! Nervous, restless, anxiety, fatigue, constant dark thoughts and depression. My TSH dropped from .50 to .02 and still no symptoms of hyper just the same symptoms of hypo. Weight gain, tired, depression. I thought I was losing my mind! Trying to adjust psyche meds thinking that was the issue didn't work cuz it was the levo causing the problem. It's difficult to separate symptoms of mental health problems from thyroid problems because they can be similar. Got a referral from PCP to see an Endocrinologist. They switched me to Armour. Significant improvement. Levothyroxine stinks! I'd rather take no thyroid medication and suffer the consequences than take Levothyroxine. ”

Vinayyyyy070709 March 16, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: “I just started this medicine about a month ago. It is making such a big difference in my appetite and my energy. I am a fairly young man at 23 years old. I knew something wasn't right with my body over the last few years, as I had gained about 30 pounds over the course of just a few months and felt so sluggish. It turns out, like many of you reading this, I have an underactive thyroid. I have heard that three drugs help with the thyroid hormones. Synthroid (T4 hormone), Cytomel (T3 hormone), and Armour Thyroid (T4 & T3 Hormones). Synthroid has gotten a bad rap because it's synthetic and it only covers the T4. Well, the T4 is most likely all you need because a T3 deficiency is rare. Synthroid is great. Stomach upset went away in 1-2 weeks.”

Spudth November 13, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “Mine is a long story. I began taking synthroid in 1993 after a required dr visit. All I can say is WOW! It was not a sudden boost but a lifetime of feeling listless and tired was gone. I have been on the medication now for about 22 years. If I miss a dose, generally doesn't feel bad. Miss it for several days and I start getting tired etc. Can't imagine being without it. Certainly changed my life. Didn't do it overnight but it sure did take away that sleepy feeling. In 1997 the doctor told me it was known to be uncommon for men to have thyroid issues. Well, I think thats because men aren't tested as much. Now in 2019 I believe the treatment rate for men is probably just below that for women. Good deal. Never had a real bad experience. Not sure though where the meds come from and the whole concept of changing brands. I'm sloppy in taking it as I do it in the morning then drink coffee and often can eat breakfast right away as well. Good Luck to all.”

Pebbles · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 25, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “I do not notice any difference with the medicine, I’m still suffering from depression and I have extreme hair loss and weight gain even if I don’t eat more than 1500 calories a day. High protein, low carbs”

Tramag823 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 3, 2013

For Underactive Thyroid: “I started taking Synthroid about 6 months ago and I feel really good. I went from feeling like a zombie to feeling like my normal self again. Before starting on Synthroid I had most of the typical hypothyroid symptoms...tiredness, dry skin, cold intolerance, puffy face, etc. Now the only symptom that still bothers me is water retention. My Dr. just increased my dose so hopefully that goes away soon.”

happyJ October 14, 2011

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I've had my thyroid removed 10 months ago and I started taking the lowest dose of Levothyroxine (generic) six weeks after the surgery. I had my blood work done and dosage adjusted every six weeks until I ended up at 137 mcg daily, 5 months after the surgery. Then I switched to Synthroid brand. All this adjusting was done by an endocrinologist. I feel great, definitely much better than before the surgery when I suffered from severe hyperthyroidism. I did gain some weight right after the surgery but once the dosage was correct, I was able to lose the pounds easily. All of my other symptoms (hair loss, abnormal sweating, fatigue) were gone once the dosage was correct. The right dosage is extremely important.”

Annette · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 2, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: “I was taking Synthroid for three years. I was extremely ill during that time and it worsened. I could not eat, walk without falling, gained 30 pounds and my numbers did not go down. Finally my endocrinologist agreed to put me on Armour Thyroid medication. I lost all the weight I had gained in two weeks, could eat and walk. My whole life changed dramatically. Doctors are giving Armour a bad name, but I can tell you from my experience, it changed my life.”

CB in TX · Taken for 10 years or more October 25, 2012

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I had my thyroid removed in 1990 and have been on Synthroid ever since. The dosage has changed over the years. Right now I'm on a dose that requires two pills each morning--the 200mcg plus the 50 mcg. I have to wonder if alot of the symptoms many of us experience isn't due to the Synthroid --but just rather the lack of a thyroid and having to get the hormone from a pill? Maybe it just doesn't ever feel quite the same no matter what brand it is. I am usually tired. I can't get enough sleep. Often am achey too. I have always been prone to anxiety and depression and have been on Effexor for years. That helps with alot of symptoms I had (night sweats, mood issues etc) but still so tired.”

Paw · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 18, 2018

For Hashimoto's disease: “Had my thyroid removed 2 years ago. Was put on synthroid and have felt terrible ever since. Weight gain, joint and muscle pain, blurred vision, tremors, hair loss, constipation, irregular heart beat, stomach problems and the list goes on. Doctor tells me my numbers are fine and I should be put on an anti-depressent. Really. That's because they don't know enough about thyroid disease and keep pushing the drugs. This drug is next to poison but no one listens to us . We are held hostage to these doctors that don't care. Where do we turn to because I we are suffering. Help!!!”

Tia4life August 22, 2013

For Underactive Thyroid: “Although Synthroid keeps my test results "normal" I still have all of the hypothyroid symptoms. Severe exhaustion, sensitivity to cold, trouble concentrating, etc...like I haven't experienced since before I found out I had hypothyroidism. I was only put on Synthroid since the medication I am normally prescribed is no longer available.”

gfmissouri · Taken for 10 years or more February 2, 2013

For Underactive Thyroid: “I have been taking this medication for almost 22yrs. My thyroid is dead the Dr. said due to child birth. I started out on the lowest dosage. Dr. didn't want to shock my body I had to cut them in half for 2 weeks and then slowly went up from there. I am now taking 200mg now have been for several yrs now. Medication works good for me. If I miss a day I can tell and I feel really tired.”

rick August 6, 2020

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “Many doctors have begun to realize that many people are allergic to the ten or more additives in Synthroid. I had papillary thyroid cancer over 30 years ago. I had surgery and I have been sick for over 30 years. The brain fog was terrible. I have fired more than 20 doctors over this time. They always said, "Your lab report says your levels are fine". On my second visit to a holistic doctor, she changed me to Tirosint, which has no additives. Tirosint is relatively new and in produced in Europe. TRY TIROSINT. Please….You will not be sorry.”