User Reviews for Synthroid

Underactive Thyroid
6.3

Summary of Synthroid reviews 6.4 147 reviews

Reviews for Synthroid

For Hashimoto's disease "I've been taking generic (levothyroxine) for 2.5 years. I took for a little while about 4 years but I didn't keep up with my health as I should have. My TSH was 58.8 and I started on 50 mcg. After seeing my GP and now an Endocrinologist, I am now up to 150 mcg and the last TSH was .99 I have had no side effects from either Synthroid or the generic. The medicine does what it's supposed to do. My hair grew back, the fog lifted, got my energy back, severe muscle pain went away, joints no longer hurt and my cholesterol went down from 280 to 200. I take it in the morning but don't follow any rules. The endo just said to take it. I usually take it with my Vitamin D, prescription pepcid, and Vitamin C. I take it with coffee or milk. The endo said it really didn't matter, just take it because not taking it is not an option."

MissBailey (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 1, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid "I have been on Synthroid for 12 years and I have had no side effects. I only have good things to say about this drug. However, when you start blood tests are essential to determine the right dosage. You must take on an empty stomach and no food for about an hour. Also, you need to keep the Synthroid level constant in your blood system. If you skip a day or two It is like you have to start over to get back to the dosage you were prescribed. This drug works. Use it as your Dr. tells you to and have blood tests on a regular basis."

Art (taken for 10 years or more) August 21, 2018

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "It was discover that I had a nodule/goiter on one my thyroids and the other wasn't functioning at all. After all the tests, I was put on Levothyroxine generic. I had all the symptoms named in all the other comments. But to come to find out, I couldn't take the generic. I was switched to synthroid and have been on it for over 30 years. I had to get it adjusted correctly, over the years, finally got it settled. All the symptoms gradually went away and I have been doing great since. This one has done the job for me. The only thing I have to say is that once on this medication, the weight maintenance has been constant with good diet and exercise. I have always separated vitamins and thyroid med, vitamins in the morning and meds at night. It has worked so far and feeling great. I will continue on this medication. To all, do not give up. There is something that will work with your body and it will be like a miracle. This was my miracle."

Thyroid Girl August 10, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid "Originally my doctor put me on Levothyroxine when I first had symptoms of hypothyroidism. I continue to have the symptoms and ended up putting on a total of 43 lb! I then asked to see an endocrinologist and Bug them to put me on nature thyroid.. do to my persistence they put me on 82. 75 MCG of naturethroid. After 3 weeks of it in my system, I began to have energy again, stomach aches went away, slept better and was able to work out daily again! My new endocrinologist insisted that Synthroid was better then nature thyroid... So I will switch to Synthroid.. stomach aches and fatigue came back.. Synthroid and Levothyroxine don't help."

LoveNatural (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 12, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid "I have a hard time tolerating this medication. I have many side effects and in general do not feel as well as I used to."

D (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 4, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid "I was taking Synthroid for three years. I was extremely ill during that time and it worsened. I could not eat, walk without falling, gained 30 pounds and my numbers did not go down. Finally my endocrinologist agreed to put me on Armour Thyroid medication. I lost all the weight I had gained in two weeks, could eat and walk. My whole life changed dramatically. Doctors are giving Armour a bad name, but I can tell you from my experience, it changed my life."

Annette (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2018

For Hashimoto's disease "Had my thyroid removed 2 years ago. Was put on synthroid and have felt terrible ever since. Weight gain, joint and muscle pain, blurred vision, tremors, hair loss, constipation, irregular heart beat, stomach problems and the list goes on. Doctor tells me my numbers are fine and I should be put on an anti-depressent. Really. That's because they don't know enough about thyroid disease and keep pushing the drugs. This drug is next to poison but no one listens to us . We are held hostage to these doctors that don't care. Where do we turn to because I we are suffering. Help!!!"

Paw (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid "So far so good"

Powerless (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid "I had peeling of the hands and a facial rash"

Nibbs577 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2018

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "After taking synthroid for less than a year, I have been confined to a wheelchair and have permanent breathing/respiratory issues."

NoMoreSynthroid (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2018

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "I'm taking Synthroid - its a horrible drug. I'm losing all my hair, headaches, insomnia, depression, fatigue, brain fog, etc.. This drug sucks I have no idea why doctors keep pushing this drug. I have a new insurance and Doctor hopefully I can start taking Armour If not I have no idea what's to come."

Lbjaz (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 13, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid "Thyroidectomy after cancer diagnosis and so far I've had not had great luck with synthyroid. Currently I'm on 112 mcg and it makes me feel like I have a itchy sunburn and the weight gain is insane I feel water logged in my legs most of the time and too many mental glitches. I dislike this drug it's has to many fillers that cause other issues. If you have a known allergies avoid synthyroid until they can create an allergy free version."

Batty1 January 3, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid "I used Synthroid (25, 50 or 75 for over more than 10 years, but had to use the original, not the generic because generic does not work in some people. I've not been operated, but for over 2 years I've been using NatureThroid (32.5) instead which was recommended by my ND and have to say that all my side effects that Synthroid caused, had gone. I almost lost all my hair and had terrible heart beats, headaches, joint pains, etc. I do not have hashimoto, and really don't know if it works for people with this condition, but I tried NatureThroid and I am very happy with the results."

Ayapliana December 6, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid "I've been on both and yes you have to see a Dr. who specializes in this disorder and you also have to take it one hour before you eat both levo and synthroid because I feel different I've done it taking after I ate and didn't work and then I followed the doctors orders take one hour before breakfast. I'm on 75mcg and my weight is doing great my levels normal if I keep on the medicine and take it like my doctor said to take it and I go to many different specialist's because I have many medical problems and I'm only 30 but this thyroid be thing started after I had my daughter so no do not take it at night after meals cuz your body will not absorb the medicine correct the medicine needs to be with a full glass of water and no food so it can work thru"

Jujubean30 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 27, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid "My doctor prescribed Levothyroxine for low thyroid and I had been feeling so tired and wiped out. Levothyroxine did help improve my numbers (TSH of 7.5 dropped to 4.5) but I felt awful on it. Everything hurt and I was so exhausted. After 3 months on Levothryoxine, I asked to try the brand name Synthroid. What a difference!!! It improved my numbers even more (same dose, TSH decreased to 1.75) and not only that, I felt better. I had energy. My experience is night and day. I know generics are supposed to be equivalent but I can tell you there is a difference. Synthroid brand works so much better than Levothyroxine. Recommended."

Dennise2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid "I was put on synthroid 1 year after telling my Endocrinologist (he was taking care of my type 1 diabetes) that I think I have low thyroid (it runs in my family). After a year he finally tested my TSH which was high and put me on Synthroid. My TSH came back fine but I told him my hair was still thinning, my nails were still brittle, my stomach was still swollen & I got every bug that was within 100 miles. I also developed total exhaustion and only left the house for doctor appointments. I went from 103lbs. to 130lbs. He put me on a higher dose and switched me to Levothyroxine (generic for synthroid) which caused rash & itching on face, then on rest of body, felt like a ball in my throat. Changing doctors now."

kitcat18 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid "I don't feel it does anything. I have more headaches and insomnia. So I am telling my primary I am stopping it. If she doesn't agree I am stopping regardless"

Pamelapppp8 September 27, 2017

For Hashimoto's disease "I have been great the last few months on synthroid until 2 weeks ago, started having chest pain, I can't take a breath, pulse is so low I can't find it."

Ticked off September 14, 2017

For Hashimoto's disease "Synthroid is only one of the four hormones produced by the thyroid. So it produces about the expected mediocre result. For me it was worse than mediocre, it was horrible, leaving me essentially bed-ridden for almost 3 years. This company has a bad record, and pressure is put on Docs to use this stuff exclusively. Why aren't we offered other options at the start??"

davetrindle (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 6, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid "I took synthroid for 10 years, I had severe insomnia so also took sleeping pills everyday, I was depressed to took anti depressants everyday, had high blood pressured so took drugs for that. I couldn't focus at work and just getting up in the morning felt like a chore In 2013, I switched to natural desiccated thyroid drugs (NDT). It felt like waking up from a bad dream. I'm no longer depressed, my sleep hasn't been this good in my entire adult life. It's like night and day, I wish more doctors gave their patients the opportunity to try solutions other then synthroid; because clearly, it doesn't work for everyone."

Millstream44 (taken for 10 years or more) August 31, 2017

For Hashimoto's disease "43 years old female, 5'7", 76 kg. I used to be 56 kg , and in a matter of 2 years I reached 80 kg after quitting smoking. I also had a plethora of other problems, amount which lethargy, extreme fatigue , depression . My doc discovered by accident my TSH was 10 , plus huge antibodies values. Started me at 50 mag Syntroid and I went up from there. I am now at 175 mcg , huge dose, and feel fantastic. My blood values are low,TSH , upper limit T4. I kind of talked my doc in increasing the dose.... as his choice was 125 mcg and I felt that was too low . I finally have the energy to go to the gym . I feel like my old self. I LOVE Syntroid and I hope he won't lower it for me ."

PatriciaP2017 August 28, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid "I've been taking this medication for years. It works very well in keeping my thyroid under control. I can always tell when I don't take it right especially when my blood is tested. I have learned that I need to take this medication in the mornings, because that is when it works its best."

Luvrofmusik (taken for 10 years or more) July 23, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid "I have been on synthroid for approx 10 years. Here are several points that I have learned: 1. You may initially start feeling better in a couple weeks but It takes MONTHS to see the full effects. 2. Depending on your TSH levels, your Dr should start you at a low dosage and gradually increase as needed. Starting with too high of a dosage is shock to your body and will even make you feel more tired as your body is working overtime. 3. See a Physician who is very familiar with thyroid issues. If you are not seeing positive results with family Dr. see an Endocrinologist! Many of the negative comments I have read may be a result of your Dr not understanding this disorder. 4. There are alternatives if this medicine is not working."

Jaybee63 May 24, 2017

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "After my thyroid surgery, I was put on Synthroid. I continued to get WORSE until I was nearly totally bedridden. I did some research and after several months, found a doctor who prescribed medications other than synthroid. I started taking a Natural desiccated thyroid (NDT) medicine. Within two weeks, I woke up and felt like getting out of bed. I continued to improve, however my strength never came back. I am totally confined to a wheelchair now."

JakeBuddy April 27, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid "After seeing my ob for some problems with menstruation, I was sent for about 10 different blood test to check my hormone levels. Let's just say that we found the source of my problem and I was referred to an endocrinologist. She wanted to repeat my TSH level cause she said that being at 3.65 was a little high for someone my age. So I went back within 4 weeks to get retested and my TSH was 10.36 and I was feeling it. I was so tired I could barely get out of bed. My headaches were out of control and I gained about 10 lbs in a months time. I just started 75mg Synthroid a few days ago so I'm feeling optimistic. I feel once we get my pituitary adenoma, thyroid and my vitamin D under control I'll be so much better. ADVICE: listen to your body."

ThisGurl (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017