User Reviews for Synthroid to treat Hashimoto's disease

Synthroid has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 30 ratings for the treatment of Hashimoto's disease. 47% of those users who reviewed Synthroid reported a positive effect, while 47% reported a negative effect.

Synthroid Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Hashimoto's disease.

Reviews for Synthroid

Celeste · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2021

“Took this for ~3 months, and the only side effect I experienced was hair loss (more than I'm comfortable with).”

Cory · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 29, 2020

“Started Synthroid 50 mcgs on August 25th 2020. I was 6’3 at 266 lbs. It is now October 28th 2020 and I have lost 49 pounds. My weight is 217lb. If you have hashimotos disease. I highly recommend the paleo or AIP diet. All I did was diet and take my meds every day at 9 a.m on an empty stomach with water. I would then wait till 12 before I would eat lunch to make sure all of the meds absorbed. My antibody count is still unreadable so I have to up my dose to 75 mcgs now. Needless to say this medicine seems to do it’s job. But your diet is nearly as important.”

Leuy August 14, 2020

“Its such a useless medicine ”

Doesn’t matter · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 3, 2020

“This stuff is just awful ! I’ve had my TSH go as high as 52.0 (wasn’t aware is was that out of control) and felt better than, than I do now on years of treatment on brand name synthroid! Endocrinologist just doesn’t seem to agree ? And now I have a whole new set of symptoms such as itchiness all over, horrible anxiety, headaches, weight gain, the list goes on and on, and nothing new has been added to my daily routine, I know it’s this medication, I hate it. Just throwing this out there for anyone else that so that you know your not crazy ! Good luck !”

Anonymous March 17, 2020

“Synthroid is terrible it fave me an exacerbation of mental health symptoms! Nervous, restless, anxiety, fatigue, constant dark thoughts and depression. My TSH dropped from .50 to .02 and still no symptoms of hyper just the same symptoms of hypo. Weight gain, tired, depression. I thought I was losing my mind! Trying to adjust psyche meds thinking that was the issue didn't work cuz it was the levo causing the problem. It's difficult to separate symptoms of mental health problems from thyroid problems because they can be similar. Got a referral from PCP to see an Endocrinologist. They switched me to Armour. Significant improvement. Levothyroxine stinks! I'd rather take no thyroid medication and suffer the consequences than take Levothyroxine. ”

Paw · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 18, 2018

“Had my thyroid removed 2 years ago. Was put on synthroid and have felt terrible ever since. Weight gain, joint and muscle pain, blurred vision, tremors, hair loss, constipation, irregular heart beat, stomach problems and the list goes on. Doctor tells me my numbers are fine and I should be put on an anti-depressent. Really. That's because they don't know enough about thyroid disease and keep pushing the drugs. This drug is next to poison but no one listens to us . We are held hostage to these doctors that don't care. Where do we turn to because I we are suffering. Help!!!”

Dore · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 8, 2019

“So sorry some of you are having this experience with Synthroid. I have been on this medication for 8 years now. When I started out with it, I had many of the same symptoms of all of you for about nine months. During that time I went thru 5 medication adjustments. Started out at 25 mcg , then ended up at 100mcg. Then went to taking the 100 mcg 5 times a week and cutting the pill in half two days. What worked for me is the following: -Take exactly the same time every morning -Do not eat or drink anything within the hour after that -Some medications and supplements interfere with the absorption of it. Take them 4 to 6 hours before or after. This is important because Synthroid is a narrow therapeutic dosing drug. In other words, if your dose isn't just right, you will experience all the negative side effects of both hypo and drug side effects. - If your dr isn't willing to adjust the dose for you like my dr has, find another dr.”

Nani July 30, 2019

“I was drinking Levoxyl and I was living a normal life and my doctor changed me to synthroid and it’s being a living nightmare my doctor doesn’t want to change me back to Levoxyl because he thinks it’s just my mind ”

Sharonkc2006 January 19, 2014

“I've been on Synthroid for over 15 years due to Hashimoto's Disease and also partial thyroidectomy due to a nodule. For anyone who is on the medication and says they are feeling depressed, tired, etc. check into the symptoms of hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's disease as it may be that your medication is not at the right dose. My doctor considers 'normal' TSH to be between 1 and 3 while the AMA lists it as between 1 and 5. When I am at a 4, I do not feel well and have all the symptoms. DON'T just STOP taking this medication on your own as you can have severe side effects, GO back to your doctor and discuss how you feel. I cannot take the generics as they do not work for me. Only SYNTHROID for me! (I'm on 225 a day!)”

MissBailey · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 1, 2018

“I've been taking generic (levothyroxine) for 2.5 years. I took for a little while about 4 years but I didn't keep up with my health as I should have. My TSH was 58.8 and I started on 50 mcg. After seeing my GP and now an Endocrinologist, I am now up to 150 mcg and the last TSH was .99 I have had no side effects from either Synthroid or the generic. The medicine does what it's supposed to do. My hair grew back, the fog lifted, got my energy back, severe muscle pain went away, joints no longer hurt and my cholesterol went down from 280 to 200. I take it in the morning but don't follow any rules. The endo just said to take it. I usually take it with my Vitamin D, prescription pepcid, and Vitamin C. I take it with coffee or milk. The endo said it really didn't matter, just take it because not taking it is not an option.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2019

“Was diagnosed with hashimotos about 2 months ago. I would wake up feeling very fatigued and I would have to take a power nap at work before I could drive home. I had seen the endocrinologist and he put me on 50 mg of Synthroid once a day. After about two weeks I felt great, l was back to my normal self minus the weight I gained (10 lbs in 2 weeks). Now all the sudden I woke up this past Monday with a migraine and no appetite. Today is Friday, still battling the migraine and have lost 7lbs. Every time I think of food I want to vomit. Had labs done and everything came back normal. Body feels very hot and a lot of sweating. Doc lowered me to 25 mg on Wednesday but still no changes in headache or appetite.”

Anonymous December 10, 2011

“If you are taking Synthroid and you are still depressed, overweight or losing hair (all symptoms of hypothyroidism, which this drug treats) then your dose is still not high enough. If your doctor tells you that you are "within the normal range, "switch doctors - if you are still having symptoms then your dose should be higher. I have been on this medication for several years now and as long as I'm on the right dose, I feel fine. I know I need an adjustment when I start to get tired and depressed. Those are the two most obvious symptoms for me (as well as hair loss). I have used low-carb diets effectively (New Atkins for a New You is good - has a section for vegetarians) to lose the weight I had gained when my thyroid became inactive.”

PeriMom April 22, 2010

“This medicine has given me my life back. Prior to Synthroid: blood pressure spikes, panic, anxiety, insomnia, sweats, rapid heart rate, massive headaches, neck ache, muscle soreness, fatigued, weight loss, my nails would rip off, my skin was flakey etc. After two days and very SEVERE muscle pain I woke up on the third day a brand new person. One month on 50 mg and I was back to my normal self again. I was even able to exercise and paint my bedroom and was pain free the next day. My levels are still a bit high so it was raised to 75 mg a week ago and I just feel better and better. All medicines are not for all people but this one has worked for me. I have long nails again and my dried out hair has taken a new life! LOVE it!”

davetrindle · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 6, 2017

“Synthroid is only one of the four hormones produced by the thyroid. So it produces about the expected mediocre result. For me it was worse than mediocre, it was horrible, leaving me essentially bed-ridden for almost 3 years. This company has a bad record, and pressure is put on Docs to use this stuff exclusively. Why aren't we offered other options at the start??”

Hyposufferer1 · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 7, 2013

“6+ years on Synthroid, and this is what I have to show for it..Used to be a size 12 now a 28, no periods, pain all over, Hypo symptoms still, mental and mood symptoms ( anxiety, depression, mood swings) My Growth Hormone is only 40 and my FSH is 78. I can't have children. Finally switched to Cytomel, it broke me out, and still had same symptoms as above. My level was over 20 last they checked. Just got a RX for Armour, hoping I finally get my life back”

Hopefullysoon October 18, 2013

“I was on this medication for about two weeks or so and within the first couple of days it made me feel extremely anxious and depressed. I felt as if I was not in control of my emotions. As if this was not bad enough I also felt an uncomfortable sensation in my neck and experienced trouble sleeping.”

Anonymous October 2, 2009

“Synthroid has changed my life -- from 16 hours/day in bed to being an active medical school student. The only side effect I have experienced is dry eye in the mornings, but that is fine with the use of artificial tears. I used Synthroid for my Hashimoto's and now continue to use it post-thyroidectomy. I only use the Synthroid name brand because generics could be made at different labs and will not be exactly the same every month. Talk to your doctor about using generics. My doctors only prescribe the name brand for me because it is important to have constant thyroid hormone levels.”

Anonymous August 21, 2012

“I have been on Synthroid now for 4 years. I wasn't able to take the generic Levothyroxine because it caused me high blood pressure. I was shocked to find out I had Thyroid disease. My dosage continues to go up I'm on 125mcg now, and just had my TSH checked and its again on the low end (which I can tell because of fatigue, weight gain, hair loss). I demand my thyroid to be tested every 4 months. When its in the middle of "Normal" range is the only time I feel good!”

Anonymous June 24, 2010

“I was on this medicine for about 6 months and in that time I felt worse than when I wasn't taking it. It took the migraines away but I still had muscle aches, fatigue, hair loss, dry skin, brittle nails and more. The huge symptom I had on this medicine that bothered me is the depression. I felt dread and doom everyday. I couldn't take it anymore, so I stopped taking it, then I went to a different doctor that prescribed me Armour.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2012

“Suffering for years from all symptoms of hypothryroidism and mother has Hashimoto's. Finally doctor did thyroid tests. My thyroid peroxidase asb level was 170 but Free T4 and T3 within normal range. Doc prescribed 100mg Synthroid to start. Wow! In three days I could tell a difference. I rated Synthroid 8 of 10. Time will tell if I have side effects, but for the time being after one week on Synthroid I feel like a new person.”

Anonymous January 30, 2009

“I have been on Synthroid and the generic for eleven years. If you ever suffered from the effects of thyroid disease you probably know the depression and fatigue that I felt 11 years ago. I only noticed two side effects. One was an interaction with birth control, the other was my hair wouldn't perm well anymore (small price to pay).”

Michele B71 April 11, 2015

“My hashimotos with benign nodule was found after losing my twins to early delivery. Endo believes this was a missed factor in my loss. My TSH was over 4. Started on levothyroxine 100 mcg was great for 2 months but by the third month my blood sugars dropped, heart was racing (palpitations ), body itching like the burn you feel after a workout, my hair was falling out, severe anxiety and I was losing 2 lbs every few days (that part I didn't mind). I was insistent to check my TSH and it was 0.27 adjusted down to 88 mcg with an extra half tab once a week. My TSH is now 2.2 but I feel the depression and fatigue. Adjusting back up to 100 since it's been 3 years. At least now I know what to watch for. I no longer experience PCOS OR DM 2.”

PatriciaP2017 August 28, 2017

“43 years old female, 5'7", 76 kg. I used to be 56 kg , and in a matter of 2 years I reached 80 kg after quitting smoking. I also had a plethora of other problems, amount which lethargy, extreme fatigue , depression . My doc discovered by accident my TSH was 10 , plus huge antibodies values. Started me at 50 mag Syntroid and I went up from there. I am now at 175 mcg , huge dose, and feel fantastic. My blood values are low,TSH , upper limit T4. I kind of talked my doc in increasing the dose.... as his choice was 125 mcg and I felt that was too low . I finally have the energy to go to the gym . I feel like my old self. I LOVE Syntroid and I hope he won't lower it for me .”

angelics March 9, 2010

“I have been on Synthroid for a while and when I started having stomach issues I could no longer tolerate pills. My endo doc changed me from Synthroid to Levoxyl and I couldn't tolerate that either. Now I'm on injectable, what a relief to know I have options!”

molly 69 November 24, 2009

“I have been on 2 different dosages of Synthroid for almost 20 yrs. January of 2009 my Dr decided to take me off 1 of my dosages, that was the worst experience of my life. I went into withdrawals, fatigue and a depression all over again. I am now just getting back on my other dosage, keeping my fingers crossed it will all work out for the best again.”

Ditzymudgirl July 13, 2015

“I was on this med for 11 years. Now another med is cheaper for insurance,I have to use it. I cannot lose weight and my menopausal hormones have done me for a loop this year, but I cannot blame it on the med. My reverseT3 is fine so I don't need cytomel or the natural thyroid meds.”

ldydi49 · Taken for 10 years or more August 8, 2014

“T4 only did not work for me, my body could not convert the T4 to the needed T3”

Anonymous151637326236 October 17, 2013

“I've been on Synthroid my whole life, it works like a charm. I'm on a dose of 120 right now and its helping. ”

Learn more about Hashimoto's disease