User Reviews for Armour Thyroid

Armour Thyroid has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 197 ratings on Drugs.com. 61% of those users who reviewed Armour Thyroid reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Underactive Thyroid   7.3
Hashimoto's disease   7.2
Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal   7.2
TSH Suppression   7.0
Thyroid Cancer   6.6
Summary of Armour Thyroid reviews 7.2 197 reviews

Reviews for Armour Thyroid

crstlgls · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 18, 2021

For Underactive Thyroid: “I had to get Armour prior authorized as my insurer wouldn't otherwise cover it and I could not afford it. I haven't had any complaints about the potency so far; as my medication is increased, I start to feel better. Most of the time my levels stay normal, but my other medications, including propranolol and carbamazepine, affect my thyroid levels and can cause low T3. So, once my endo puts me on 120 mg per day, we are going to add T3 to it. It does keep my T4 steady, though. The unfortunate part of this is that Armour is mostly T4, so some people have to add T3 to it, and that seems to include me.”

Jsg January 18, 2021

For Hashimoto's disease: “I have taken Armour thyroid for 30+ years after Synthroid did not work. In the spring of 2020 I began to feel terrible. Headache, tiredness, pain in my joints , no energy at all. My IM ran thyroid panel in me. Everything normal ( I don’t think he ran antibodies). I asked him to switch me to WP thyroid. He did and within weeks I started to feel like my old self. That lasted for 6 months and WP thyroid was pulled from the market. I had to go back on Armour Thyroid. All my previous symptoms are back and I feel terrible again. I am SURE that Allergan has reformulated Armor thyroid. We must report and complain to the FDA to get RLC labs preparations back on the market.”

Roy January 1, 2021

For Hashimoto's disease: “NDT??? Natural Defficated Thyroid. My husband asked me why would anyone eat pig poop! He was confused with dessicated vs.defficated. So as it turns out pig pills are not so natural after all. Made my hair fall out, my urine smelled nasty and it didn't lower the TSH. I wonder where the pig thyroids come from and that is scary. People like it for awhile and then they don't like it anymore. They keep changing the formulation but remember it's still an animal and animal products vary. It's not bioidentical and that causes a problem especially with autoimmune disease. A lot of people continue to use it but its pot luck. It is impossible to monitor accurate dosing. Good luck with it!”

Daisy December 18, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “I have been using Armour since 1997 or earlier. Feel much better on the Armour than Synthroid. Synthroid made me swell up with water, which btw is a side effect. I never heard so many complaints about Armour. Most who can't tolerate Synthroid do great on Armour because it has T3 and T4 in it. vs Snythroid only has T4 which has to convert in your body. Most who have hashimoto's find the T3 and T4 works for them better. Been on thyroid support groups forever. For those can't find a dr to prescribe the Armour, call the pharmacist and ask which drs prescribe it. Go to them. I tell my GP , I needed it renewed and they didn't question it.”

Leuy December 9, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “Armour Thyroid gave me an itchy rash. NP Thyroid gave me a rash too. It's nice to think this is a so called Natural medication but the fact is once it leaves the pigs body its processed. In addition, where do the pigs thyroids come from? How do we know what the pigs are fed some synthetic food product. Then processed with whatever chemicals available so the NATURAL concept is a mute point. I hope they keep making it as many people like it but I don't think its good for me.”

Nicole December 8, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “I didn't plan on adding a review, but my heart goes out to some people posting recently and really struggling to find the right meds. *If your doctor doesn't want to switch your meds because your labs look fine but you don't feel right, find a new doctor. The process of finding the right med can be awful but necessary. I take Armour for Hashimoto's and have been for 5+ years. I took levothyroxine for about 1 year but lost my mind - stopped driving after I forgot how traffic signals worked one day. It did help clamminess, constipation, and foot odor (none of which I knew were tied to thyroid), but it wasn't worth the mental cost. My labs looked great so endocrinologists wouldn't change the meds. Found a naturopath who switched to Armour. It lifted the fog and got me back to a functional level, but honestly I've never felt the same as pre-diagnosis. I had such a bad experience on levothyroxine that I'm too afraid to try to change Armour at all, but it's getting the job done.”

Max November 28, 2020

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I was diagnosed with 2 thyroid nodules in Sep 2019. My endo immediately recommended total removal. Said the nodules would eventually obstruct my ability to swallow and breathe. Oh yeah the biopsy was non cancerous. Had the surgery in Oct 2019. Since then my life has been a roller coaster of symptoms and problems. Digestive, muscle aches and pains, vision, anxiety and depression. I was started on Levothyroxine 137 mcg. Did not work. Switched to Synthroid 137 mcg. After one month the doc added Cytomel (T3) 25 mcg. Had palpitations right after I started taking. Was told to take half the T3 pill. Now I developed acid reflux problems and prescribed Protonix. Feel tired all day, nauseous, lightheaded with metal taste in my mouth. Lastly my labs keep coming back perfect. I am so desperate. I want to try Armour Thyroid but afraid of the unknown. Thoughts? I need help. I’m 50 years old and the sole breadwinner of my family.”

alee · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 24, 2020

For TSH Suppression: “I have taken Armour 15mg Forest for a month. I have lost half of my hair. I am not happy with it. I will talk to my doctor and change to another medication.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 12, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “Almost everyone I know is taking some sort of thyroid med with varying results and side effects. You just keep trying until you find the one that suits you best. The pharmacists told me more people are happier with AT than any other thyroid med??? But it's different for everyone. Same as the TSH levels .....everyone feels better with different levels?? All you can do is try and monitor the results. My question will always be WHY are so many people having thyroid disease???”

Tia November 8, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “Armour thyroid 60mg was ok for about 3 months then I got edema in my feet and hands. Parathesis in my leg and face. Horrible nerve problems with trembling shaking hands I was dizzy and very depressed, hair loss, weight gain, tired, sweating, crying, vision problems couldn’t drive, freezing. I couldn’t function. All my hypo systems were worse than ever. Emergency Carpal tunnel surgery. Heart palp, high blood pressure. I reduced and then stopped and symptoms started to go away. Back to Synthroid and am a work in progress again. 5 endo docs and none helped me. They just look at TSH. Good luck everyone. Stay away from Armor and nature thyroid was just as bad. All my scans and blood work normal. Good luck everyone.”

Just Tired September 21, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “Been on Armour Thyroid for 2 plus years. I have never felt this miserable in all my life. Except NP thyroid. Synthroid and levothyroxine helped with numbers. Didn't fight the brain fog, lethargy, and annoying side effects. I have been living in nightmare for over 2 years be on this medicine. I've been suicidal, continued if not worse brain fog, hair, skin and nails. My whole body is not functioning anymore. Functional medicine people push this like drug pushers. Tried compounded thyroid as well. What a joke. These drugs seem to be a joke. Haven't been able to work full time in 8 years. Dr took me off estrogen and this is what happened to me. Hypothyroid, functional medicine drs didn't pay enough attention to the numbers, I kept telling them over and over again, now I have Hashimotos, and feel like rubbish. Functional medicine is a joke. But armour and NP are the biggest joke. Have no clue where I will be going next on this nightmare journey. Good for you all that feel better on this medication.”

Julia · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 26, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “The problem is finding a doctor in Md who will prescribe Armour Thyroid some PCP will however once referred to endocrinologist they refuse to prescribe at least in the state of MD. I found that Armour Thyroid I felt my best without any side effects.”

Tkp · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 4, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “I was taking levothyroxine 100mcg. Had maintained weight of 142lb. Changed to armour thyroid 60mg. After 6 months have found I have gained 20 lbs. I work out often like I've always done. Heading back to Dr this month hoping to find answers. Feeling depressed too not sure if it's knowing my weight gain or this is making me feel crazy too.”

LS April 30, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “I was on Levothyroxine for 13 years and recently wanted something more natural. Like other reviews, I didn’t feel like myself. Brain fog, generally just blah. Switched to Armour in December 2019, started to feel really great. 90 days in I got my labs done and my antibodies had dropped by 600 which is amazing (which I also think can be attributed to going paleo) and my T3 and T4 were in range. 2 weeks after testing I suddenly had a crazy amount of dandruff. Haven’t had that since before my hashimotos diagnosis. Scalp is crazy dry still and it’s been a month and a half. Flaking all over and no amount of head and shoulders will help. Small patches of dry skin behind my ears, eyebrow, back, and other random parts of my body. I got my labs tested again and while I’m still in range, it appears my T3 and T4 have dropped a little. My doc added 15mg to my dosage to see if that helps. So far nothing and it’s been about 2.5 weeks. Anyone else had this issue?”

Mpc3 · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “I had a total thyroidectomy 13 years ago. I was put on Synthroid, or generic versions. I only noticed some paranoia/anxiousness with those over the years. About a year ago, I started feeling like I was taking the meds for nothing, as I was tired, foggy, etc. I went to see a new doctor who prescribed Armour Thyroid & suggested “2 grains” which is two pills. I took one to start & it made me totally anxious. I started taking half and made myself stick with it for a week. I had been having headaches to begin with. I decided to up to one pill & have done that for about 5 days. I am totally foggy, my body aches, I’m extremely anxious. I’m not taking this anymore. I feel disconnected like I’m not even myself. I hope to go back to my previous doctor and start back on Synthroid. I’m happy Armour helps so many people, but unfortunately I am not one of them. ;(”

Armour is amazing · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 18, 2020

For Thyroid Cancer: “I love armour thyroid! I have lost all the weight I gained from levothyroxine! I hated it! Armour has given me back my life! I have energy like normal and can think clearly and my body doesn’t ache.”

Littleblondie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “I started taking Armour again after trying Nature thyroid and NP. I had previously taken Armour for many years but the price went up so I asked my Endo to find a cheaper alternative. But after being on both Nature (which gave me chest pains) and NP ( smelled like cat urine and tasted bad). I decided I had to go back on Armour. Armour is not the same as it was years ago. I used to do so well on it. Now I am anxious, cold, not sleeping well, itchy, heart palpitations, vision problems. I know something has changed with the formula. I don't know what to take. Synthroid is not an option. Why did they change Armour when it was fine the way it was and also raised the price??”

Candy · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “I was on nature throid and doing amazing! They changed the formula and I was feeling so bad everyday that I didn’t feel like even trying or getting up anymore. I decided to switch back to Armour which I had been off for years... thankful I did... within a few days I have felt like myself again! Fingers crossed”

Ben · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “Took a chance on armour thyroid after NP Thyroid stopped working. The Amour I used to use years ago worked great but this new stuff is horrible. Bad muscle and joint pain along with horrible mood swings. Not worth what they are charging for this junk. A really bad drug now. Thanks for ruining something that used to be so helpful.”

Villager February 3, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “I've been using Armour meds for 2 years now and my urine smells awful. There is a terrible odor and I can feel, taste and smell the most foul scent. I don't know how to eliminate this stench and not sure if the Pharm Company has done something to this drug to make it so terrible. They need to change this formula to correct this terrible side effect.”

kaz January 14, 2020

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “After hyperthyroidism most of my life: Graves Disease, this is the ONLY thyroid medication that works for me. Insurance companies and pharmaceutical giants prefer levothyroxine or other more expensive drugs that have more side effects and for me at least are not as effective. I was on a thyroid destroying drug for YEARS and a specialist told me that if it hadn't worked by now to destroy my thyroid gland, it probably never would, it was just putting this strong med into my body affecting other bodily functions. So, I took "their" advice and destroyed my thyroid with radioactive iodine. Now I need to be on thyroid for the rest of my life. My doctor and I tried traditional drugs pushed by the medical establishment. I finally did some research and asked others without a functioning thyroid and was directed to Armor Thyroid. It has been working for over 5 years without adjusting dosage unlike the "traditional" thyroid meds where I had to constantly change dosage.”

Sick&tiredofbeingsick&tired · Taken for 10 years or more January 4, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “I have been on armor 180mg almost 11 years I Tried Synthroid first. My TSH was 195 I was 26. When I started it put me into a a MAJOR craze I still don’t know what. It felt like I had bugs crawling in my skin and can’t stress enough how horrible it was. I feel like the last 10 years of my life are a blur I just kind of tolerated it I lost the weight I gained. Way too terrified to try any other medication after what I went through I just dealt with it. Fast forward to 2019 I FEEL TERRIBLE despite my TSH actually being a little hyper because of suppressing my goiter I got from my TSH being 195 I now have gained 50 pounds my hair is now falling out again I’m sore everywhere. I barely get out of bed I can’t think remember anything vision is rapidly declining I am in such bad shape that I’m actually going to the doctor to ask him to switch me to a T4 only medication to see if this helps I can’t take being bed ridden anymore it’s got to the point to where I can not even work anymore.”

Mojave · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 15, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “Been on Armor Thyroid since 2010 when my doctor switched me from Levoxyl. I did really well for many years, up until about 6 months ago, when I began feeling differently, and most recently a very concerning heart palpitations situation. I'm hoping that the switch my endocrinologist just made to Synthroid will be helpful, as I'm very uncomfortable and concerned. Not sure when the manufacturer went from Forest to Allergan, but wondering if that's the problem, and if anyone else is experiencing similar effects.”

missy · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 21, 2019

For Hashimoto's disease: “I have had Hashimoto's since 1998. Synthroid never worked for me, so doctor switched me to Nature Throid, which worked miracles after only 2 months. When there was a shortage on Nature Throid, I switched to Armour. I have been on Armour 5 years. At first I felt great on Armour, but within the last 1 1/2 years, something has changed. All my symptoms returned September 2018. Have gained 25 lbs, hair & eyebrow loss, brain fog, and extreme fatigue, etc. I would bet money that Armour has changed the formula again but won't admit it. The pills do not smell or taste the same. Fess-up Armour!! Going to doctor in 2 weeks to try a different NDT. Stay strong!”

Shesok · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 18, 2019

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I have been taking Armour since Feb 2014. No significant weight changes (47 yo) in past years. Suddenly had foggy brain in December 2018. Retested and Endo changed my dose up by 7.5 mg. Which helped. Have been recently been experiencing same effect in last 2 months. Endo says my levels are normal, certainly don’t feel normal though. Will be going in soon for reeval. Not sure Armour is normal levels....”