User Reviews for Armour Thyroid

Learn more about Armour Thyroid.

TSH Suppression 1 reviews 24 medications

7.8
Thyroid Cancer 2 reviews 16 medications

Summary of Armour Thyroid reviews 120 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Armour Thyroid

For Hashimoto's disease "I have not taken Armour Thyroid, but have taken thyroid medicine for Hashimoto's since 1963. I have found that the generic equivalent of Synthroid does not work well. Sometimes it is equal to Synthroid and other times not. The last time I took generic, my TSH went up to 16. I am sticking strictly to name brand Synthroid from now on. I wonder if the people having trouble with Synthroid are really taking the generic."

Flyinlow (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "I was DX with Hashimoto's 2 years ago, had been having a LOT of stress in my life. I have never been fatiqued, but did have weight gain, I gained 20 pds and a moon sized face.I thought that it was grief (lost husband) I am also a nurse. I was put on Synthroid 75 mcg and felt worse, hair started falling out, felt like I was in a dream all of the time, no weight loss and depression. Told my endo that I felt bad and he ignored me. Thats when I started digging into what to eat (I am already a veggiterian) taking supplements and all of this helped. I went to a F P Dr. and demanded Armour. Felt great for the first two months. I started having the fight or flight feelings. I am now hyperthyroid. Two weeks on lower dose, and have lost 15 pds."

PKLINVILLE August 14, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "I used to be on Armour...then it was unavailable for a while since they were reformulating it. I don't know why they had to reformulate it. It was working fine and is an old reliable drug. After the reformulation, my side effects (that I didn't have before) included my feet cramping at night.....often. Changed to Nature-throid and don't have that problem."

Clack August 4, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "I switched from synthroid to armour last year and felt better for the first couple of months. I've had an on again off again scalp itch/rash that I could not figure out for the life of me. About 6 months into armour I was overwhelmed by all my sympotoms, fatigue, depression, low libido, joint pain and the scalp itch/rash just would not go away. My endo let me try a 30 day supply of Tirosint and the rash went away and I felt so much better. Just to test my theory I went back to armour after the 30 days. Very quickly I realized it was DEFINITELY the armour and I'm going back to tirosint. Armour is SO much cheaper but not worth it!"

Ijustwanttofeelbetter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "I went to see an endocrinologist after my daughter told me that a co-worker of hers was hypothyroid and lost a ton of weight taking Armour. My endo told me that I had Hashimoto's and the best thing was for me to switch to Armour from Synthroid which was really what I was hoping to hear. I was so hopeful that this was finally going to be my ticket to a thinner me! :0\ During the course of 6 months I gained 20 pounds. My dosage was increased nearly every time I visited the doctor and with each increase in dosage came an increase in my weight. I went back to my primary care physician and told her my story and she put me back on Synthroid and the scales are finally moving in the other direction."

tinab43837 June 4, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "Many years ago I was told by my doctor that I had a Hypothyroid. First I took Synthroid, which made me very sick, so for years I never took anything, ate healthy organic foods and felt wonderful. I went recently to an a specialist (Endocrinologist) and he also said my blood levels showed an underactive thyroid. The strange thing is that I don't have ANY of the symptoms of this disease. But I tried Armour Thyroid for about a month, and had chest pains, stomach cramps, and I was so tired all the time, I spent most days in bed. Now I went off AT and I feel back to normal. I don't care what a test shows....it's how I feel that matters."

Sultrylady84 May 2, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "Started on Armour decades ago, stayed with it then could not get it and had to take Synthroid. My pharmacist informed me last year Armour was back on the market and switched to it, 1 grain or 60 mg. What an improvement I noticed. Yes, there is a difference"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 26, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "I had started taking Armour over 6 months ago and it did better for me than Synthroid or Nature-Throid. Eyebrows and head hair started to grow in, energy improved, brain fog was lifting, all the rest of the good things we go through to get back to ourselves. About 8 weeks ago the symptoms all started coming back, including some new ones, like the rash on my hands someone else mentioned happened with them. I thought I was doing something wrong. Checked my diet, sleep, etc., all good. I did an internet search and turned up so many websites where people shared their stories of problems with Armour and it all clicked. I switched to WP a week ago and already feel better."

Ladycatpurrs April 23, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "Synthroid did not help: zero improvement on quality of life and bad side effects. Have been through all possible medications, none helped, same story as Synthroid. Am now on Armour, 3 grains. Doesn't help at all, and gives me side effects: weight gain, hair loss, difficulty sleeping, hyperpigmentation, no patella reflex, brain fog, extreme fatigue, etc. In fact I feel better, and most of the signs/symptoms are lessened, if I take *nothing* even though my TSH is 90 and my T4 and T3 are undetectable (ie, no T3 nor T4 in my body). I overwhelmingly prefer taking nothing as that gives me the best quality of life (albeit a pretty poor quality of life). I take medication, Armour, (and suffer), only because my doctors insist that I take medication."

Igaveup (taken for 10 years or more) April 22, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "Why can't they go back to the old method of making Armour Thyroid? I've tried the synthetic meds before. I don't feel like myself and had msny issues with side effects. Even a mix of two different ones trying to get my t3 right. Tsh levels always good or played games of too high or too low until the t3 was studied. Yes I've had more issued with sleeping, insomnia, irritability, focus, weight loss, hair loss, and for the first time in my life I had a migraine over a year ago and now needing to take daily meds for them. Does anyone know of another company even out of the US where we could buy the old formula from.use of pig glands certainly can't be expensive.just another company filling thier pockets while given a lesser product, we suffer"

Whymesswithsomethingthatworks (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 19, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "Took Synthroid for about 15 years and although I never felt it was working for me my doctor would only say "well, your labs look good." I read about Armour and had my doctor change me. Armour was amazing. I felt great after 2-3 months. Weight dropped, dry skin and hair improved and my energy level significantly improved. Then all of a sudden I developed a terrible rash on my hands. Doctors tested for contact dermatitis, other allergies, all came back negative. The only new addition to my routine was the Armour. I read other reviews that discussed the fact the Forrest Phar. had been sold and apparently Armour was reformulated with possibly other fillers. Stopped Armour and the rash disappeared. Miss its benefits."

KBBD April 5, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "Prescribed 1 grain split day-time dosage of armour thyroid. After 2nd day, each time I took the 1/2 dosage I had slight sore-throat and eyes itching and irritated, this happened every time and became progressively worse daily until 8 days later, I could not take the side effects anymore and had to stop taking it. Allergist tested positive for allergy to egg whites and dairy. I had ingested both of these products in one way or another on the days that I took the armour so figured it was the egg/diary allergy and not the armour. Allergist took skin/oral test with the armour and no signs of an allergic reaction to it, tried it again, 1 hour after each dose same symptoms, no more armour for me!!! Now I seem to be allergic to everything!!"

electriclade (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "I've been taking Armour for several years now. Somewhere along the line all of my symptoms such as constipation, weight gain and trouble losing weight, hairloss, trouble falling asleep despite being extremely tired, low energy, headaches, brain fog, etc came back with a vengeance. My endo sees nothing wrong with my labs and tells me it must be something I'm eating. I went along with this theory until one day I went online to find out why my prescription cost went up so much. Much to my surprise I stumbled across many others like me complaining of symptoms coming back despite labwork being in range. Everyone noticed the changes came about when Forest sold! I'm switching doctors and hope to find another medication!"

whatashame February 26, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "Been on Armour Thyroid for 10 years -- after taking Synthroid for three. Noticed an immediate improvement in my health as soon as I started taking Armour. Absolutely LOVED Armour until a few years ago when the formula (or something) changed. Now I am OK with Armour, but detests the huge price increase (3-month supply for $19 -- now $99 for 3-month supply). Reading this website to find alternatives to Armour because the price increase is ridiculous. Also, the quality is not the same!"

TexasCruezing February 4, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "Had taken Armour Thyroid for 20 years but starting 2 years ago I experienced brain fog, aches and pains which was thought to be fibromyalgia, no energy, severe headaches, insomnia and hard to get out of bed and always tired. I have taken many tests, scans and seen many Doctors during that time and couldn't find an answer to my complaints. I felt like I was loosing my mind and in desperation began searching the Internet and came across information about Armour. I understand Forest Labs bought Armour in 2014 and Actavis bought them in 2015 - lo and behold!!! I saw complaints which were identical to mine and quit taking them on Sec. 22, 2015. I felt better within 2 days and am angry that I lost 2 years of my life."

Anonymous January 31, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "synthroid did not work well feel much better now on Armour Thyroid"

Jb1960ab (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "Four years of misery thinking I had food allergies when I was allergic to the FILLERS in the Armour thyroid medication. The side effects included: 2 different rashes on my scalp and behind my ears, excessive sugar cravings, depression, suicidal thoughts, after eating my stomach hurt all the time, couldn't eat anything without getting diarrhea. I went to several doctors and not one suspected the Armour thyroid medication. I figured it out! When I stopped taking it the side effects went away immediately! The rashes a little longer but started clearing up right away. Now, I'm trying the thyroid hormone ONLY without fillers. The interesting thing is my insurance won't pay for it because it comes from a compounding pharmacy not BIG PHARMA."

Queen of Everything! January 25, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "I was on Levothyroxine for years (17). I have 7 thyroid nodules, and my physician is monitoring them closely. I begged my doctor to try Armour as I was so depressed, brain fog and felt the worst ever. I was put on 90 grains of Armour, within 6 months my tsh was .04. I was having tremors and racing heart. Apparently my body is extremely sensitive to Armour. I am now transitioning back to Synthroid/Levothyroxine and hopefully t3. Over the years your body changes (of course) - listen to your body. Everyone is different. Good luck"

T' January 25, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "Doctors will always try to put you on synthroid which is poison that has the worst side effects and once I started on Armor I could see the dark cloud leave. I still notice that I can only use a half of batch before I need to buy more because it went bad and I am still trying to get the perfect dose but I feel so much better with armor than the synthroid that doctors suggest. I only wish I could buy armor in Colombia SA because now I must go to the states every month to pick it up."

johnny H (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "I was just diagnosed with underachieving thyroid. My labs have been low for quite some time. Trying to heal my leaky gut in hopes of getting my thyroid issues better. Well after working on it for 6 months with a Functional Medicine NP it wasn't better so I just started armour 30mg. Today is day 1 for me. Hoping many of the symptoms I suffer will get better. I really don't want to be on this. The symptoms I have are early am waking, low sex drive and anorgasmia, cold but sweating, fatigue, muscle loss, muscle weakness, dry skin, thinning hair."

trl1 (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2015

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "It took a full 15 months of treatment plus adding a low dose of an antidepressant and topical progesterone for me to see the full benefits of armour. I became hypo shortly after menopause, experiencing severe fatigue, sleepiness, a 9lb weight gain in spite of poor appetite and low calorie intake, dry thinning hair and nails, depression, coldness, no libido. My face took on the typical dull thyroid expression with pudgy features and the outer third of my eyebrows missing. I had high cholesterol, yet my TSH showed normal at 1.9. My GP just said to "watch it" while I grew progressively worse. After 15 months on armour, I've finally settled on the right dose and I feel young and great again!!"

stit60 December 14, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid "I started taking armour in November 2015. The first couple of days I felt more tired. But after 4-5 days, I wasn't tired throughout the day. I lost 6 lbs in that month. But then when I started my refill, all the weight came right back on. Is it possible for a whole batch to be bad?? Or did my body regulate to that dose?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2015

For Hashimoto's disease "I just started Armour today and I'm on cloud 9! Was just diagnosed 6 weeks ago with Hashimoto's and have been on 3 different meds. 1st Naturethroid, next Levoxyl, then on to Synthroid. All gave me HORRIBLE side effects. I felt like I was putting poison in my body every morning. But today I feel like I hit the jackpot with Armour. Feel like my old self again.... I have energy, no body aches, and I can think clearly!"

lynny1231 (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2015

For Hashimoto's disease "Was on Levothyroxine and I noticed some improvement, but still felt symptoms. We increased the dosage and noticed improvement, but still not quite right. Over time my symptoms returned and I was continually complaining that my dosage was not right, even though my numbers were within normal limits. My doctor recommended the switch to armour. The first week I wanted to die, I couldn't stay awake, I had constant headaches, I was irritable. After 5 days, I was ready to call the doctor and get taken off...and then MAGIC happened happened. Week 2 I had energy, I started to sleep better, no headaches. So far so good. I am hopeful!"

KWdub December 2, 2015

For Underactive Thyroid "I was on Levo meds and I felt like I was over loaded with hormones. I would have outburst of anger and sadness. Gained 10lbs in 6monthes, insomnia etc. These behaviors were abnormal for me. I switched to Armour meds and in one month I lost 3lbs , sleep well and have not had any mood swings."

Anonymous November 12, 2015