User Reviews for Armour Thyroid

Learn more about Armour Thyroid.

TSH Suppression 2 reviews 25 medications

7.8
Thyroid Cancer 2 reviews 17 medications

Summary of Armour Thyroid reviews 132 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Armour Thyroid

For Hashimoto's disease "I find it very effective much better than synthetic drugs. Feel much better taking it."

Marg93 December 1, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "On Synthroid for a year post subtotal thyroidectomy in 2002, gained 17lbs in just a few months, hair fell out, felt miserable. Switched to Armour in 2003 and got me my life and health back. Compounded thyroid is cheaper so I started using that with no issues until last year, when I was no longer able to get my compounded thyroid as I'm now in the U.K. which only compounds thyroid for animals, not humans. Back on Armour last year and the weight started creeping back up, fatigue set in, cold at night, all the hypo symptoms came back despite my labs looking great. I put on 8 lbs in three months!! Switched to Nature Throid and the weight is coming off again and I feel normal. Forrest Pharma pulled a Martin Shkreli."

Nachtjenevel (taken for 10 years or more) October 30, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "I'v been on Armour thyroid for over fifteen years except for one year when I had a physician who would not prescribe Armour. Synthroid was a nightmare for me. However, in the last several years, I have noticed a definite difference in each refill of Armour. One refill leaves me fat and moody and the next one may cause me to feel normal and lose five or six pounds effortlessly. This is NOT OK for anyone. A huge price increase and such an inferior, and unpredictable product should make us all angry. Our hands are tied unless we can buy the manufacturer."

Dinky Dodad October 24, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "I was diagnosed with Hashimotis after a thyroid cancer scare and removal of half of my thyroid gland due to growing nodules. All of the symptoms- tired, depressed, weight gain, hair loss, sensitivity to hear and cold, cold extremities- occurred after having my first child and became progressively worse with each of my children. Since the surgery, took Synthroid for 10 years and could not lose weight no matter what I tried. Went to progressive doctor who put me on Armour and I have lost 35 pounds in the past year, mood and energy levels are excellent, and memory and brain function much sharper. My levels are a bit too high/vary, but that is where I feel best and my doctor allows me to stay there. Find a doctor that will listen to you."

TrueThat (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 25, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "I have been on Armour Thyroid for a number of years. Am having a hard time getting regulated. Having numerous symptoms-sweats, heart palpitations, dizziness, migraines to name a few. Anyone else experience this?"

des1962 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 17, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "This is an old medication. The price has gone up incredibly and for no apparent reason other then profits for the manufacturer. Medicare programs do not cover this Rx and all my doctors recommend that I stay on this Rx. We are being ripped off!"

Ellencoo (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 16, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "My Dr. insisted for years my thyroid wasn't to blame for all of my hypo symptoms. I started seeing another Dr to manage medications as I'm also dealing with depression. She ran a full battery of tests on my thyroid levels and put me on Armour. I have NEVER felt as good as I feel now. I started at a low dose and just doubled it and now have more energy, alertness and lost 8lbs without changing anything. I'm not drinking caffeine constantly and can keep up with my 10, 8 & 1 year old boys. My bff has struggled using Synthroid and is now talking to her doctor about using armour. I hope it works for her and doesn't stop working for me!"

ORgirlCA (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2016

For TSH Suppression "I have been receiving natural hormone pellets for the past 6 months and feel great! My blood work showed I had a very low level of thyroid, and I was put on the 30 mg in the morning ; as a result , I feel so much better. I did gain weight but I cannot blame it all on the thyroid medication because I received the pellets the same time. This week my thyroid medication was increased to 60mg, since my levels were still low, and I hope to stay at a low dosage. I feel greater than before the hormone therapy and try to manage my food portions. I will be buying the book called thyroid diet book to learn more about managing my intake of food. The medication is working for me and I have not experienced hair loss and I hope not to."

Majesticdeb (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "I've been taking levothyroxine for 15 years or so and I just felt that it had become stagnant after all those years. I started taking armor and it was fine for the first 2 to 3 years then I noticed that I have been having anxiety, trouble sleeping and I just overall feel like I'm hyperthyroid. Blood levels are fine, but we just thought I needed to adjust my dose. A couple months ago I started breaking out in random hives, allergy tests came back neg. However it is not every day. Because of the hyper thyroid feeling I stopped taking it for a week and felt fine . Started back on it, same feeling. I also have started getting a Humming in my ears and want to know if anyone else has experienced this before I see an ENT."

Juliejmn (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 3, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "i have Hashimotos thyroiditis. United Health care & Medicare says Armour Thyroid is not covered by them. I was on Armour thyroid for 15years. My insurance made me try other meds.I tried other thyroid meds including Nature Throid. I put on 48 lbs under Nature Throid my body was tired I was dizzy & could not function & had incontinence. I now am back on Armour thyroid feeling better everyday & decreasing in weight & other symptoms are gone. But have to pay for it myself & since I am on Social Security it is a big expense. Thanks Armour thyroid"

Babsar2 August 31, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "I have had many of the same experiences with the chemical thyroid meds, I asked to be switched over to armour and felt great, then after a few years, I noticed something was terribly wrong had heart palpating and just super tired all the time. Went to the pharmacy and he told me that they changed the formula and that it had more fillers, he said that he could compound it for me and that would take care of the problem, so I asked my doctor and got a perscription for it to be compounded. All I can say is what a difference!!! Back to my old self."

Lkdora August 27, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "Was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease several years ago. My doctor prescribed step increased doses of synthroid. I felt increasingly worse with feelings of anxiousness and insomnia. I changed doctors and my new doctor prescribed Armour. After one dose adjustment my TSH numbers were good and I felt great. That was eight years ago. I still feel great and would not use synthetic TSH. So glad some doctors understand Armour works better for some patients."

Jamie Sunshine August 24, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "I have not taken Armour Thyroid, but have taken thyroid medicine for Hashimoto's since 1963. I have found that the generic equivalent of Synthroid does not work well. Sometimes it is equal to Synthroid and other times not. The last time I took generic, my TSH went up to 16. I am sticking strictly to name brand Synthroid from now on. I wonder if the people having trouble with Synthroid are really taking the generic."

Flyinlow (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "I was DX with Hashimoto's 2 years ago, had been having a LOT of stress in my life. I have never been fatiqued, but did have weight gain, I gained 20 pds and a moon sized face.I thought that it was grief (lost husband) I am also a nurse. I was put on Synthroid 75 mcg and felt worse, hair started falling out, felt like I was in a dream all of the time, no weight loss and depression. Told my endo that I felt bad and he ignored me. Thats when I started digging into what to eat (I am already a veggiterian) taking supplements and all of this helped. I went to a F P Dr. and demanded Armour. Felt great for the first two months. I started having the fight or flight feelings. I am now hyperthyroid. Two weeks on lower dose, and have lost 15 pds."

PKLINVILLE August 14, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "I used to be on Armour...then it was unavailable for a while since they were reformulating it. I don't know why they had to reformulate it. It was working fine and is an old reliable drug. After the reformulation, my side effects (that I didn't have before) included my feet cramping at night.....often. Changed to Nature-throid and don't have that problem."

Clack August 4, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "I switched from synthroid to armour last year and felt better for the first couple of months. I've had an on again off again scalp itch/rash that I could not figure out for the life of me. About 6 months into armour I was overwhelmed by all my sympotoms, fatigue, depression, low libido, joint pain and the scalp itch/rash just would not go away. My endo let me try a 30 day supply of Tirosint and the rash went away and I felt so much better. Just to test my theory I went back to armour after the 30 days. Very quickly I realized it was DEFINITELY the armour and I'm going back to tirosint. Armour is SO much cheaper but not worth it!"

Ijustwanttofeelbetter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "I went to see an endocrinologist after my daughter told me that a co-worker of hers was hypothyroid and lost a ton of weight taking Armour. My endo told me that I had Hashimoto's and the best thing was for me to switch to Armour from Synthroid which was really what I was hoping to hear. I was so hopeful that this was finally going to be my ticket to a thinner me! :0\ During the course of 6 months I gained 20 pounds. My dosage was increased nearly every time I visited the doctor and with each increase in dosage came an increase in my weight. I went back to my primary care physician and told her my story and she put me back on Synthroid and the scales are finally moving in the other direction."

tinab43837 June 4, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "Many years ago I was told by my doctor that I had a Hypothyroid. First I took Synthroid, which made me very sick, so for years I never took anything, ate healthy organic foods and felt wonderful. I went recently to an a specialist (Endocrinologist) and he also said my blood levels showed an underactive thyroid. The strange thing is that I don't have ANY of the symptoms of this disease. But I tried Armour Thyroid for about a month, and had chest pains, stomach cramps, and I was so tired all the time, I spent most days in bed. Now I went off AT and I feel back to normal. I don't care what a test shows....it's how I feel that matters."

Sultrylady84 May 2, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "Started on Armour decades ago, stayed with it then could not get it and had to take Synthroid. My pharmacist informed me last year Armour was back on the market and switched to it, 1 grain or 60 mg. What an improvement I noticed. Yes, there is a difference"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 26, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "I had started taking Armour over 6 months ago and it did better for me than Synthroid or Nature-Throid. Eyebrows and head hair started to grow in, energy improved, brain fog was lifting, all the rest of the good things we go through to get back to ourselves. About 8 weeks ago the symptoms all started coming back, including some new ones, like the rash on my hands someone else mentioned happened with them. I thought I was doing something wrong. Checked my diet, sleep, etc., all good. I did an internet search and turned up so many websites where people shared their stories of problems with Armour and it all clicked. I switched to WP a week ago and already feel better."

Ladycatpurrs April 23, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease "Synthroid did not help: zero improvement on quality of life and bad side effects. Have been through all possible medications, none helped, same story as Synthroid. Am now on Armour, 3 grains. Doesn't help at all, and gives me side effects: weight gain, hair loss, difficulty sleeping, hyperpigmentation, no patella reflex, brain fog, extreme fatigue, etc. In fact I feel better, and most of the signs/symptoms are lessened, if I take *nothing* even though my TSH is 90 and my T4 and T3 are undetectable (ie, no T3 nor T4 in my body). I overwhelmingly prefer taking nothing as that gives me the best quality of life (albeit a pretty poor quality of life). I take medication, Armour, (and suffer), only because my doctors insist that I take medication."

Igaveup (taken for 10 years or more) April 22, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "Why can't they go back to the old method of making Armour Thyroid? I've tried the synthetic meds before. I don't feel like myself and had msny issues with side effects. Even a mix of two different ones trying to get my t3 right. Tsh levels always good or played games of too high or too low until the t3 was studied. Yes I've had more issued with sleeping, insomnia, irritability, focus, weight loss, hair loss, and for the first time in my life I had a migraine over a year ago and now needing to take daily meds for them. Does anyone know of another company even out of the US where we could buy the old formula from.use of pig glands certainly can't be expensive.just another company filling thier pockets while given a lesser product, we suffer"

Whymesswithsomethingthatworks (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 19, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "Took Synthroid for about 15 years and although I never felt it was working for me my doctor would only say "well, your labs look good." I read about Armour and had my doctor change me. Armour was amazing. I felt great after 2-3 months. Weight dropped, dry skin and hair improved and my energy level significantly improved. Then all of a sudden I developed a terrible rash on my hands. Doctors tested for contact dermatitis, other allergies, all came back negative. The only new addition to my routine was the Armour. I read other reviews that discussed the fact the Forrest Phar. had been sold and apparently Armour was reformulated with possibly other fillers. Stopped Armour and the rash disappeared. Miss its benefits."

KBBD April 5, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "Prescribed 1 grain split day-time dosage of armour thyroid. After 2nd day, each time I took the 1/2 dosage I had slight sore-throat and eyes itching and irritated, this happened every time and became progressively worse daily until 8 days later, I could not take the side effects anymore and had to stop taking it. Allergist tested positive for allergy to egg whites and dairy. I had ingested both of these products in one way or another on the days that I took the armour so figured it was the egg/diary allergy and not the armour. Allergist took skin/oral test with the armour and no signs of an allergic reaction to it, tried it again, 1 hour after each dose same symptoms, no more armour for me!!! Now I seem to be allergic to everything!!"

electriclade (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid "I've been taking Armour for several years now. Somewhere along the line all of my symptoms such as constipation, weight gain and trouble losing weight, hairloss, trouble falling asleep despite being extremely tired, low energy, headaches, brain fog, etc came back with a vengeance. My endo sees nothing wrong with my labs and tells me it must be something I'm eating. I went along with this theory until one day I went online to find out why my prescription cost went up so much. Much to my surprise I stumbled across many others like me complaining of symptoms coming back despite labwork being in range. Everyone noticed the changes came about when Forest sold! I'm switching doctors and hope to find another medication!"

whatashame February 26, 2016