User Reviews for Armour Thyroid to treat Underactive Thyroid

Armour Thyroid has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 107 ratings for the treatment of Underactive Thyroid. 57% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 24% reported a negative effect.

Armour Thyroid Rating Summary

6.9/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Armour Thyroid

Babs · Taken for 10 years or more May 4, 2021

“I took Armour Thyroid all my life from the time my thyroid problems were diagnosed as a toddler, over 60 years, up until the medication’s formulation underwent a change some years back. I always did great on Armour before that. It is not the same med and no longer worked for me, so I had to change to Nature-Throid, until that medication was also recalled. Now I’m having the same issues with NP Thyroid. Pretty soon, I suspect the less expensive natural thyroid medication will no longer be available. Then what will people who do not tolerate synthetics do? Last time I went to an endocrinologist, he handed me samples of Tirosint, which has a lot of side-effects and is obscenely expensive. It’s a rotten shame that the FDA is not as adept in ensuring effective, affordable medicine for people with hypothyrodism as they are in quickly producing COVID-19 vaccines.”

Littleblondie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2020

“I started taking Armour again after trying Nature thyroid and NP. I had previously taken Armour for many years but the price went up so I asked my Endo to find a cheaper alternative. But after being on both Nature (which gave me chest pains) and NP ( smelled like cat urine and tasted bad). I decided I had to go back on Armour. Armour is not the same as it was years ago. I used to do so well on it. Now I am anxious, cold, not sleeping well, itchy, heart palpitations, vision problems. I know something has changed with the formula. I don't know what to take. Synthroid is not an option. Why did they change Armour when it was fine the way it was and also raised the price??”

Mojave · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 15, 2019

“Been on Armor Thyroid since 2010 when my doctor switched me from Levoxyl. I did really well for many years, up until about 6 months ago, when I began feeling differently, and most recently a very concerning heart palpitations situation. I'm hoping that the switch my endocrinologist just made to Synthroid will be helpful, as I'm very uncomfortable and concerned. Not sure when the manufacturer went from Forest to Allergan, but wondering if that's the problem, and if anyone else is experiencing similar effects.”

Ben · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

“Took a chance on armour thyroid after NP Thyroid stopped working. The Amour I used to use years ago worked great but this new stuff is horrible. Bad muscle and joint pain along with horrible mood swings. Not worth what they are charging for this junk. A really bad drug now. Thanks for ruining something that used to be so helpful.”

Ju · Taken for 10 years or more March 31, 2021

“As Aimee posted, Allergan now makes Armour. Allergan is owned by Abbvie which makes Synthroid. My first hint that the formulation had changed was when I noticed the Armour tablets did not have the distinctive smell anymore. I am seeing my doc on Tuesday for blood work and will ask for a handwritten prescription that I can bring to a compounding pharmacist. May cost a bit more but at least I'll know what's in my medication. I have been on 2 grains of Armour since about 2002. It's been reformulated a couple of times but it still worked for me. Now, it's like taking a placebo. Not a happy camper”

PJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2019

“I was on Levothyroxine for 5 years and felt like a zombie. Then on Synthroid for 2 years, still a zombie. Kept being told my levels were fine on what I was taking but still felt horrible. Finally found a doctor that switched me over to Armour. Been on it maybe 2 months and I feel amazing! So much energy and easy to get up in the morning. Only side effect I seem to have is a bit of an itchy scalp but I'll take it. I even lost 17lbs already! Not every medication works the same for everyone but I recommend trying it if you have done a couple others with no results.”

loony April 24, 2014

“Over 12 years of battling with hypothyroidism with all it s crazy symptoms, stop school to tired and forgetful, went through a divorce too depressed and lots of weight gain. I thought it was me and dr made me feel I am using my thyroid as excuse since the lab work is normal. I don't want to jinks it but I took my first Armour Thyroid yesterday after requesting it, AND why it a miracle. I felt so alive. So said to think back on my life and what could have been if doctor just really listen to their patient. It took a facebook group to open my eyes.”

Babs · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 27, 2019

“I took levothyroxine for over 2 years without any improvement. Armour after 6 months felt like a miracle. I think what works for some does not necessarily work for everyone. Armour has been wonderful. I have nails, my hair stopped falling out, I've lost weight, I have energy, am "myself" for the first time in years. No side effects after a year of use. It was certainly worth a try and glad I did.”

Nurse Barb · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 8, 2014

“After 25 years of waiting to feel better on Levothyroxine I finally found someone to prescribe Armour last fall. For the first time in years I feel warm. We just had the worst winter in years and I didn't have to turn the thermostat up once. My bowels are more regular than before. I felt more energy right from the start. More doctors should use this medication. ”

Michelle · Taken for less than 1 month July 13, 2021

“I was prescribed this medication for mild Hypothyroidism. I think doctors need to be very careful when prescribing thyroid medications for people who have MILD hypothyroid. I wish I would have done my research before hand—- otherwise I would have really re considered taking this medication. Anyhow— I started at a very small dose 15mg for about two weeks. Then increased to 30mg for a few days until I woke up one night with heart palpitations. It was a very scary experience. I had a slew of other symptoms after that such as dry mouth, eyes, insomnia, anxiety, diarrhea, and the list goes on. My body definitely did not want/need this medicine. After about 2 1/2 months of discontinuing this medicine the side effects are mostly gone, however not completely. I share my story because I think people need to really do their research on medicines, I had a terrible reaction and sometimes doctors think they are prescribing a medicine to help, when at times it can be harmful.”

alarones · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 8, 2014

“It took years before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and placed on Synthroid, I started to feel better but many major issues remained. I got more energy back, but never lost weight. My memory got better, but I wasn't clear-headed. I continued to feel major anxiety and had emotional ups and downs. When I found a doctor who suggested I try Armour, within 2 weeks of taking it my life seemed to return. I am a strong supporter of Armour.”

Grandmother Nanny May 27, 2021

“I had benign thyroid nodules, 2 docs thought I had thyroid cancer so I had a partial thyroidectomy. No doc did a biopsy, shame. Endo shamed me for asking for Armour. I suffered badly on synthyroid and all other synthetic meds. Finally convinced my PCP to try me on Armour 120, it was a miracle for me , I got well. I continued on Armour 120mgs for 28+ years, same dose, no problems. Over the last approx 2 years the strength of Armour 120 mgs changed, the cost skyrocketed and it is not covered by insurance. I gained weight, had hair loss & puffiness on my old perfect dose Armour 120. Gyn doc prescribed Armour 180. I am much better, brain fog gone. Hair loss gone. When thyroid dose is correct, you will feel well again! The endo doc told me Armour thyroid was made from sick pigs and not good for humans. If that were true, why do heart specialist use pig parts for heart surgery and other surgeries.”

Cher: July 9, 2013

“When I was Diagnosed With thyroid problems around nine years ago. My TSH was a 6.7. I was placed on Synthriod. I developed terrible headaches right from the start. The Dr. decided to switch over to Levoxyl brand. Let me tell you it has been a whirl wind of problems from tiredness, to aches and pains coming out of nowhere. I gain 50lbs in the last nine years. Constantly dieting, the gym, nothing worked. Swelling and cloudy thinking. The Dr. said my TSH was normal. Okay, just started on Armour Thyroid 60mg. Unbelievable. My aches and pains are gone. Lost five pounds in these last two weeks. Swelling is gone and I am alert! Do your homework and take charge. I finally did! " Armour changed my life".”

Mandy July 24, 2019

“found a 4.2 cm & 1cm nodule on my thyroid. I had a biopsy it was non-cancerous. The doctor wanted to take it out immediately I got a 2nd opinion the 2nd doctor wanted to take it out but gave me an option to take Medicine to make me hyper to shrink them. My thyroid levels were normal but my T3 was sorta low. I requested Armour Thyroid From doctor For the first 2 week I had a bad headache. Keep going if you get a headache don’t stop it will pass in 2 to 3 weeks. I was able to quit all of my antidepressants & feel normal again for the first time in years. I got another ultrasound To my surprise Dr said my 4.2 nodule shrunk to 2 cm! I’ve also been doing keto diet No gluten and sugar I also eat 2-3 Brazil nuts every day and take 10,000 of vitamin D daily. I also wasn’t hungry for sweets anymore give it 4 to 6 weeks to really start feeling it. It also fixed my constipation. I can’t recommend this medicine enough!”

Satellite41 January 15, 2015

“I was on synthetic thyroid medicine and I was still miserable. I strongly recommend having your doctor switch you over to armour thyroid. It is amazing. I have energy, my hair isn't breaking off, I lose weight when I exercise. I absolutely love it.”

Tkp · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 4, 2020

“I was taking levothyroxine 100mcg. Had maintained weight of 142lb. Changed to armour thyroid 60mg. After 6 months have found I have gained 20 lbs. I work out often like I've always done. Heading back to Dr this month hoping to find answers. Feeling depressed too not sure if it's knowing my weight gain or this is making me feel crazy too.”

NeverSynthroid · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 22, 2019

“Originally on Synthroid for my hypo/hashimotos. Made me feel way worse, I've never felt so terrible. After months of asking my Endo to switch me she said I should increase my dose and I fired her. I've since been on Armour for 2 years and I'll never go back. I used to be able to barely get through the day without a multi hour nap. I still sleep more than other people but generally no nap needed! Turns out I can keep up with the crowd.”

buttheadface March 11, 2015

“I have been on Armour Thyroid for about a year with only a little bit of good results and then about a month ago I realized I should not be eating or drinking especially coffee within the first hour of taking it. I waited a whole hour after taking it to drink my coffee and I have finally started losing the 10 pounds that would not come off and I realized I was doing a whole lot more during the day and wanting to than before. I also noticed much less migraines. I vote yes! I would rate it a 10 if I could drink it with coffee.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 12, 2020

“Almost everyone I know is taking some sort of thyroid med with varying results and side effects. You just keep trying until you find the one that suits you best. The pharmacists told me more people are happier with AT than any other thyroid med??? But it's different for everyone. Same as the TSH levels .....everyone feels better with different levels?? All you can do is try and monitor the results. My question will always be WHY are so many people having thyroid disease???”

Lee August 28, 2018

“Diagnosed w/hypothyroidism in 2013. I am 49 yo female. I had tried different meds prior to Armour Thyroid (AT). I have the best results with AT Unbeknownst to me Walgreen pharmacy switched my AT for Levothyroxin/Levothyronine (L/L) I was distracted w/relocating my family & trusted Walgreen pharmacy would continue my medication. Symptoms began headaches, very dry brittle hair & dry skin, gained 20 lbs, heart pounding. July 10,2018 I realized prescription was L/L instead of AT I went back to Walgreen & inquired why. I was told L/L was generic for AT I called my old Pharmacist. He told me the drug is synthetic & not the same as AT. It is now Aug. 26-2018 and I've been back on AT since July 10-2018 I lost 21 lb I feel great! I neglected to pay attention to my prescription medication.”

Sultrylady84 May 2, 2016

“Many years ago I was told by my doctor that I had a Hypothyroid. First I took Synthroid, which made me very sick, so for years I never took anything, ate healthy organic foods and felt wonderful. I went recently to an a specialist (Endocrinologist) and he also said my blood levels showed an underactive thyroid. The strange thing is that I don't have ANY of the symptoms of this disease. But I tried Armour Thyroid for about a month, and had chest pains, stomach cramps, and I was so tired all the time, I spent most days in bed. Now I went off AT and I feel back to normal. I don't care what a test shows....it's how I feel that matters.”

Bel · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 31, 2019

“I have been taking Armour Thyroid for many years. I gained about 20 pounds and since November last years my back started to itch 24/7. I went to two doctors and they could not find anything wrong. I changed my laundry detergent, my soap, etc... Does anybody have something simliar?”

MalibuMary January 26, 2014

“When my hypothyroidism went low enough to treat 15 years ago, I was given Levoxyl, adjusted up to 150 mcg. Fibromyalgia of 23 years worsened. In last 4 years, I developed severe fatigue crashes, heat and exercise intolerance, anxiety, depression, water retention, leg and back muscle weakness/wasting/pain. Tests normal. I exhausted best rheumatologist and neurologist in town, two normal muscle biopsies. Thyroid levels top of normal. Doctors kept me there, prescribing prednisone and five other medicines for fatigue and pain. Sudden breathing problems occurred. Hyperthyroidism exhausted my adrenals. New doctor put me on Armour, lower at 75 mg two weeks ago. I feel fantastic - more strength, less pain/weakness!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 22, 2015

“Four years ago, I began taking birth control. After a year of trying to find the "right" pill, I was experiencing extreme fatigue, mood swings, depression, constipation, skin/hair problems, weight gain, and inability to lose weight. I stopped the pill and still continued to experience these symptoms. I spent the next few years trying to lose weight and trying to convince my doctor to treat my thyroid. She wouldn't because my TSH level was normal. Two months ago, I found a doctor who prescribes Armour based on symptoms. In one month of taking 25mg of Armour daily, I have regained my health and my life. Fight for your health and ask for Armour. If it doesn't work for you, it's worth searching for a medication that does to feel healthy again.”

Ann · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 31, 2019

“I was on Armour for several years after still feeling horrible on Synthroid. At first I felt better, then the last 2 yrs my TSH kept inching up & I went thru menopause. I also started experiencing horrible body aches (told I had fibromyalgia) and joint pain like I had arthritis. Gained 25lbs in a year and extreme fatigue. In Jan I was told I was in menopause at 43. I saw an new endocrinologist in June. She switched me to Tirosint and said all my symptoms were from Armour dosing was inconsistent. According to her, not every pill has the same levels. I switched to Tirosint and all the body aches stopped. No more being in pain! However, my menstrual cycle returned after 3 years of no periods. Now I am starting birth control pills since the bleeding won’t stop. I believe Armour put me in menopause.”