User Reviews for NP Thyroid

NP Thyroid has an average rating of 3.2 out of 10 from a total of 194 ratings on Drugs.com. 21% of those users who reviewed NP Thyroid reported a positive effect, while 72% reported a negative effect.

Underactive Thyroid
5.5
Summary of NP Thyroid reviews 3.2 194 reviews

Reviews for NP Thyroid

akaltner · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2021

For Underactive Thyroid: “Last week my pharmacy gave me NP thyroid instead of regularly prescribed Armour thyroid. At first I noticed the strong smell and taste of mildew/cat wee. I checked the label on my prescription and noticed it wasn’t Armour. A week into taking this I noticed my body aching and heart palpitations. Then my heart started pounding and I got all jittery. My hands and knees were shaking and I felt weak with a headache and brain fog. I called my pharmacist and after talking to them they exchanged that medication for my regular Armour. After looking into this medication I found out it has been recalled multiple times and my symptoms were identical to other multiple peoples reviews. Please do not take this medicine. It is terrible.”

Privetteal · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2021

For Underactive Thyroid: “I feel lifeless - that is the only way to describe how I feel. I've been taking this medication, a low dose of 30mg, for 6-7 weeks. I feel way worse than I did before I started it. I thought something was seriously wrong until I thankfully found this forum. I have never been so exhausted and fatigued in my life. Nausea, indigestion, constipation, puffy eyelids, my mood is off.... the list goes on. This drug should not be on the market. Don't take it!!!”

RJB May 7, 2021

For Hashimoto's disease: “It's time to shut down NP Thyroid.....enough is enough.”

Amarie · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “DO NOT TAKE THIS I was on Nature Throid with no problems for about a year before being switched to this garbage due to recall. I took NP thyroid for about a week and ended up in the back of an ambulance this morning because my husband thought I was having a heart attack. I am a 30 year old female athlete with no underlying health conditions other than an "underactive thyroid". The past week on it has been a blur. Brain fog, irritability, heart palpitations, achy body and joints, breathlessness, migraines, nausea, dizziness, EXTREME fatigue and anxiety. I don't know what's in this stuff but it NEEDS to be pulled. There is something VERY wrong with NP thyroid. Stay FAR away from this stuff.”

Aimee · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2021

For Underactive Thyroid: “Doesn’t even deserve a 1. Do yourself a favor, and don’t bother with this awful “medicine” NP thyroid! It changed for the worse in the fall of 2019 and hasn’t been fixed since. Keeps getting recalled also. Most recently this past month in late April 2021 it’s recalled again, this time for sub-potency! Do a search for it. You’ve been warned! Acella can’t get it right & it’s just not a reliable choice. Go with brand-name Armour Thyroid instead (it’s literally the only one left that isn’t horrible) or get a script for 2 synthetics (Tirosint/Tirosint-SOL are the cleanest T4) along with T3 (Cytomel/liothyronine, or compounded synthetic) to balance the thyroid, OR if Naturethroid/WP ever come back on the market, try one of those”

Elizabeth · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 6, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “Do not take this medicine! Started in July. He gave me samples first. Those were good. Did blood work again, doubled dosage and got script in August. My hair dried out and started falling out. Then insomnia, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, crying for no reason, menstrual cycle irregular, throat burning, stomach hurt, headaches, very greasy, complete brain fog, itchy with bumps, could barely talk, bad back shoulder and neck pain. Barely functioning day to day, I felt empty inside, like I was loosing it. l couldn't talk right. I was waking up at 12 am wide awake, couldn't relax, completely amped and exhausted at the same time. I didn't understand what was happening. I stopped taking it. Everyday my brain got clearer and felt more like me, my personality came back. I have always been healthy and didn't look at the side effects. I feel stupid for not, lesson learned. This isn't ok! I'm so glad I found this site and it all makes sense now. Please report this! I am!”

Annie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “I’m updated everyone from my September 2019 post under the name "Annie 55 yrs old". I took NP Thyroid for 1 month and 5 days before stopping the med. I had 3 months of massive hair loss, and a roller coaster of emotions. I lost 95% of my hair. It is now coming back, thankfully, and I also feel like my emotions are back in check. NP Thyroid, I believe is the cause for my hair loss. I just received a letter from Kroger(where I had my prescription filled) that there’s a recall for certain lot numbers of NP Thyroid because testing found these lots are super potent and may have 115.0% of the labeled amount of Liothyronine(T3)! This is unbelievable and so wrong! Everyone who starts feeling worse on this med needs to stop immediately and get on something else. I made a report with the FDA and haven’t heard back since last September, very disappointed with them as well. This should be rated a 0 instead of 1.”

Schnauzersmom21 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2021

For Underactive Thyroid: “I was put on this after Nature Throid was recalled. I ended up with atrial fibrillation. I stopped the drug. A cardiologist told me to restart it. I then had hyperthyroid symptoms after four days when I am actually hypothyroid. This drug needs to be recalled. NatureThroid never caused me any problems. It just did its job.”

Denise February 12, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “I’ve been on NP for 4 months. I haven’t been feeling well and have a splitting headache, so I googled side effects. I don’t know what made me think it could be thyroid medicine. For some reason it just popped into my head. I have very bad headaches daily, bloated stomach, constipation, I’m very cold all the time, foggy and just out of it. I’m so tired and have a I don’t care attitude. I used to take levo and didn’t have any of these problems. My numbers aren’t changing so the dr keeps increasing the dosage. Now at 120 mg I have such blurry vision which is sometimes double vision. Heart palpitations. Chest pain. Joint pain. I can’t sleep. I'm glad I came here to read, I thought I must have a terrible disease. Seeing Dr in a few days.”

MissSB · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 17, 2021

For Underactive Thyroid: “Have been on thyroid meds for years and have taken many brands due to insurance changes and product unavailability. Some were better than others for sure. New insurance would not cover the Armour that worked best for me, so they substituted NP Thyroid last November. Since then, life has been bad. The pill does smell like cat pee! I have had every symptom listed above and have spent hundreds of dollars bouncing from specialist to specialist. I have gone from being a very, very healthy person to someone who can barely function and can't work. I have gained 8 lbs and hardly eat due to stomach issues. Found out today that this med has been recalled several times in the last few months. This manufacturer needs to STOP making this medication all together! They can't get it right! BEWARE!”

Anonymous October 28, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “I have been taking NP thyroid for about one year now since NATURETHROID became unavailable in 0.5 grain. Its been okay but the last two months I have begun feeling horrible. I have no energy, feel very tired, digestive problems, bloated painful stomach, headaches, brain fog, leg cramps, anxiety/panic attacks, depressed, complete loss of libido, fat gain around the middle, and more. In early September I noticed my NP Thyroid refill smelled horrible. I contacted my pharmacist and he told me batches vary - it's normal. So I continued to take it, felling worse over time. I stopped taking it for 3 days as a trial this week, and felt somewhat better. I since found a few websites and blogs that discuss the issues. I am not alone. Will contact Naturopath tomorrow to see what my options are. I too, like others feel poisoned. It seems like my reaction is more than just hypothyroid symptoms. I did not feel this badly before starting thyroid hormones.”

Healthy Senior · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2021

For Underactive Thyroid: “I took NatureThroid for 12 years without problems and good results. It was recalled. I found I could not take Synthroid, which tore up my digestive tract. I tried Tirosint and no go. Endocrinologist switched me to NP Thyroid. I went to ER with a head injury and that had no ill effects. I was not allowed to leave and detained for 10 hours because I had atrial fibrillation. I came home with a beta blocker and a blood thinner, which I hope are temporary. This is a dangerous and horrible drug. Irregular heartbeat is a listed side effect. I reported it to the FDA, mentioning that the recall of NatureThroid caused this situation.”

V.. · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 1, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “Just picked up my NP thyroid and it smells horrible!!! Like cat urine I will not be taking this . Already contacted my Drs office to switch to tirosint and cytomel. Shame on you NP thyroid I'm planning on taking this pill to get analyzed to see what is in it .”

Barbie · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 24, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “Used this product for a couple of years and would have rated it a 9 until disaster struck with the August 2019 refill. It now has the worst smell and taste you can imagine. Smells like cat urine, must have a lot of ammonia which is dangerous to eat. Other people who have been very happy with this thyroid pill in the past are complaining their symptoms are coming back and some are getting quite ill and having burning throat and stomach. Something is very wrong and the company has been notified but doesn't care.”

Ann · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 27, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “Something is very wrong with NP thyroid. My stomach hurts very bad on it now. My TSH blood level went from .14 to 9.48, T4 is .8 from 1.0, T3 is 97 from 114 all in 5 weeks on it. The medication smells like a cleaning product and like poison. Something is not right with this new formulation and FDA needs to look into this medication what are the dark specks and what is in the medication. Why did they have to change something that was already good? Now I don't know what to take.”

ReviewX · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 7, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “I have used this without a problem until I refilled my prescription in October. I have become increasingly sick since taking this bottle. It started with a flu/cold that wouldn't go away, then horrible stomach pains, and then the fatigue set in, where I literally could not get out of bed. In addition, I had abnormally high blood pressure. I went to a few doctors who had no answers until one day I noticed when taking my NP that it tasted different. I might have noticed it before but disregarded it. I did some research online and found that the specific batch I am taking which is M330E19-1 is on the STTM website list of problematic batches. I discontinued it today and will switch to Armour. It's becoming harder to get reliable desiccated thyroid.”

LV April 30, 2021

For Hashimoto's disease: “Was switched to NP thyroid after Naturethroid was recalled. I was doing really well on the Naturethroid, but I tried to stay positive in taking this one. It smells and tastes disgusting. I noticed unexplained pain in my hip, constant indigestion, upset stomach, random diarrhea. 7 months in and my T3 is off the chart, T4 and TSH are super low, basically hyperthyroid. In the past month I developed horrible anxiety, crying randomly and uncontrollably, trouble sleeping, and fatigue. I barely recognize myself. Had a complete breakdown in the middle of an exam. My professors are mad and think I'm somehow incompetent although I kept trying to explain I didn't know what is going on. Finally went to the doctor and found out she had prescribed Armour but my pharmacy was filling NP instead. Am fighting with insurance to get Armour covered, but I can't continue with NP. My temporary dose of Armour already smells better than the NP. I'm praying this works, cause IDK what I'm gonna do if it doesn't.”

Jason · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 11, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “I've been on Armour Thyroid for years and felt fairly good. My doctor's switched me to NP Thyroid recently because Armour is no longer covered by insurance. NP Thyroid is awful, not only did it cause some thyroid symptoms to return (Trouble waking up in the mornings, extreme fatigue, depression, weight gain and irritability to name a few) but it also caused new symptoms. My stomach hurt a lot with acid reflux symptoms and I had constant mucus in my throat, which created a chronic cough, to the point where I had to clear my throat every 15 minutes. After having been back on Armour for a couple weeks now, all of the symptoms/side effects have disappeared and I feel good again.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 19, 2021

For Underactive Thyroid: “I have been on Nature Throid for years and have felt great. My dr switched me to NP after nature throid was recalled. I felt okay at first and now symptoms are popping up. Sore arms, depression, constipation, brain fog, weight gain, puffy skin and fatigue. This medicine isn't consistent, and not to mention smells and taste like pee. STOP recalling medicine that works for people for pharmaceutical benefit. It's wrong. This stuff is junk.”

Mad in Florida September 22, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “I was on NP Thyroid for 3 years and finally got my life back. There’s a change in my most recent refill that has made me sick to my stomach, headache for days along with unbelievable fatigue. The pills smell like cat urine and taste the same. How dare you endanger so many people that are trying to regain their health. Do NOT buy NP Thyroid!”

Kata October 1, 2019

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I have been on the NP thyroid medication for almost 7 years. I did pretty well on it. About 3 months ago I started feeling really really bad. To the point where I had to go different doctors to figure it out why suddenly I was feeling so bad. Well, thousands of dollars of testings later everything is fine with me but still feel like garbage. Then I came across this page and it all made sense. The NP thyroid medication no longer looks or smells the same. I have proof, I found an old bottle of the same strength and compared the two. Something changed and now I will have to figure out what I will need to change so I can feel normal again. Shame on you NP Thyroid- Acella for messing up something that worked just fine, but most importantly messing with people's life and well-being. Own up to it!!!!!”

Abba · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 5, 2019

For Hashimoto's disease: “Switched from Nature throid to NP Thyroid last summer and was delighted, it worked great. However, this new refill, obtained fall of 2019, has been terrible. My body exhausted, my brain non-functional: all my symptoms came roaring back with a vengeance. Scary. I read somewhere they were getting their raw material (pig thyroid) from a new supplier, which clearly is not working. Please get it together, NP, you are losing customers in droves.”

Ter September 12, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “I tried all the thyroid synthetics when I was first diagnosed with underactive throid in 2012, none of them worked for me. My Dr. finally decided to put me on Armour, it was ok until they reformulated It stopped working. Next was Nature Thyroid, it worked better than the reformulated Armour but, not as well as the old Armour. I asked him for WP, it was the best!!! Then they had a manufacturing problem and I couldn't get it. Next was NP by Acella and I have been feeling better than the reformulated Armour. It works as well as the Nature Thyroid but, not like the WP! RLC Labs has a problem again, none of their NDT is available is available again. I'm glad I stuck with the NP, never got any of the recalled stuff. I've never experienced any of the complaints others have. I'm not happy about all the fillers in NP but, I've seen worse formulations. I wish they'd clean it up. ”

Kashismom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 21, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “I was on Naturetroid for quite a long time and was doing great until it wasn't available then switched to NP Thyroid for the past year or so. The NP Thyroid has giving me horrible insomnia, heart palpitations, terrible anxiety and many more symptoms. I was so grateful to find this site and read everyones reviews because I didn't really put it together until I started digging. I don't know what I'm going to do now for meds but I am not staying on this any longer. The last few batches have been really bad, I've been feeling much worse. Thank you all for writing !”

Lymielovve · Taken for less than 1 month October 20, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “Started taking NP thyroid about 3 weeks ago. I was taking WP thyroid due to recall no longer avail. I have chronic Lyme and co-infections. I've been feeling a lot better lately. About 2 weeks ago I started feeling very anxious, heart palpitations, extreme fatigue, severely depressed, brain fog, muscle pain/aches and the list is endless. I really though it was one of my co-infections coming back. Paid $580 to get tested for it and I was negative. Couldn't figure out what was causing all of this. Until I googled NP thyroid it smells like cat pee. I will no longer be taking it. I don't know what to change it to, I see my doc on Monday I hope to get it sorted. Please don't touch this stuff.”

Kins · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 10, 2019

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I started on levothyroxine. It never helped, so I switched to NP thyroid. I felt more energized and didn’t fall asleep everywhere. Recently, I started to feel tired again, falling asleep at stop lights, feeling bloated, even if I didn’t eat, feel like I can’t catch my breath, increased anxiety, and I have this pain in my right side of my neck I’ve never had before. I noticed when I got my refill of NP thyroid Sept 2019, the color, smell, and taste was noticeably different. All these new symptoms started with this new prescription, nothing else has changed. The drug company may claim it’s still as high of standard as before even with their new supplier, but clearly something is wrong if many people have the same experience I have. Let’s make this about helping your patients feel better instead of any other reason that’s been concocted; go back to the old version. I’ll be switching to something different, because NP thyroid is no longer a product worth buying.”

Mini · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2021

For Hashimoto's disease: “NP thyroid is HORRIBLE. I have been on Nature Thyroid for 6 years. I have taken two days of this NP and my heart is racing, I can't concentrate and vision changes. I NEED MY NATURE THYROID. What is wrong with pharmaceutical companies. I can't live without my thyroid pill. THE ONLY THAT WORKS IS Nature Thyroid. But now IT IS NOT AVAILABLE. WHAT????”

Bob · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 13, 2021

For Underactive Thyroid: “Horrible Horrible Horrible. This new stuff from Accela is just garbage with a variety of side effects. After yesterday's bad day I went back to straight T4. These new pills have no consistency to them. Will never take NP Thyroid again, ever.”