User Reviews for Tirosint

Tirosint has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 115 ratings on Drugs.com. 61% of those users who reviewed Tirosint reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Underactive Thyroid
TSH Suppression
Summary of Tirosint reviews 6.7 115 reviews

Reviews for Tirosint

Lonesome Dove · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 15, 2021

For Hashimoto's disease: “Oh my goodness! My endocrinologist switched me from Synthroid to Tirosint because I wasn't absorbing the Synthroid. After taking Tirosint for awhile, I started to become suicidally depressed. I'm not on many Rx, but I felt Tirosint was the culprit. I stopped taking it all together about 2.5 weeks ago. Guess what? I'm happy. (I did this on my own. Consult with doctor.) I'm not one who's into supplements, but I researched and researched and found that Selenium is supposed to help your thyroid. I've been taking Selenium since I've been off Tirosint. (Again, ask your doctor.) I'm now just taking Selenium (again, talk to doctor) and I feel great. I would NOT recommend this drug to anyone.”

SavvasM · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 18, 2021

For Hashimoto's disease: “I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at the age of 18. I started on TIROSINT 50 but wasn't doing anything at all, my TSH was exactly the same. I jumped up to 75 and still no change. Finally after 4 months I got up to 100 and only then my TSH started dropping. As of today, I maintain a TSH value of 2 with TIROSINT 100 . I want to point out that the prices that all of you state seem quite marked up. In Greece, I pay 8.50€-8.80€ for a month worth of supplies (1 box of 30 capsules TIROSINT 100) . I've read that you can pay up to 80-100$ for 84 days worth which is insane! And it's not covered by health insurance in Greece . It's crazy how much mark up you have to pay! For me ,it's kinda weird and I get quite uncomfortable thinking that I'll have to depend on this medicine for the rest of my life. I can't imagine myself taking this for like 40-60 years everyday. In my 2,5 years using TIROSINT I had 0 issues with it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2021

For Underactive Thyroid: “In February I was switched from name brand Synthyroid to Tirosint 25 mcg. I also take Cytomel 5 mcg. Since then a month later I am fatigued, pain in joints especially in hands wrists, legs, ankles, and very irritable. I'm not sure if Tirosint is the cause, but nothing has really changed to make me feel like this. I'm guessing it has to be from Tirosint.”

Andrea · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “I’ve been on Tirosint for 3 months now. The best I’ve felt in YEARS! I previously posted in October and I can only say if the other various thyroid medications are making you feel awful, YOU HAVE TO TRY TIROSINT! My energy level is fabulous, losing weight, no hair loss, coherent, etc and overall LIVING LIFE to the FULLEST.”

Nath · Taken for 10 years or more March 14, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “A word of caution about levothyroxine - not all levothyroxine drugs are equal. I recently experienced a nasty episode with generic levothyroxine because the manufacturer changed the formula (replaced lactose with mannitol) which made me very sick for months (dizziness, nausea, over tiredness, chest pain and arrhythmia). It took a while to figure out since there was no communication of a "change" from the manufacturer. The switch to "Tirosint" was a life savior! Right away, the symptoms subsided. It is so important to check the excipients (=fillers). Tirosint has glycerin, water, levothyroxine, that's it! As an NTI drug (narrow therapeutic index), I would never risk the generic again. I was too sick and spend too much money with docs who couldn't find anything wrong with me! After doing research, I asked for just ask for the brand - I am so glad as it solved all of my "issues"!t"”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 26, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “I was doing great on Tirosint until manufacturers changed to IBSA. I developed gastritis and arthritic neck pain, fatigue, and weakness. Felt like had the flu. This medication has cost me a lot of time and money. Please start checking for any manufacture changes to your thyroid medication.”

Rita · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 19, 2019

For Hashimoto's disease: “After 12 years of struggling with Synthroid and also trying NP Thyroid which was worse. I finally found an Endocrinologist that agreed that the binders in other thyroid medications were causing my Hashimoto’s autoimmune to react therefore kept my TSH to not be in control. I have been on Tirosint for a little over a year and have noticed a great improvement to the point of not having hypothyroid symptoms. I would suggest the makers of Tirosint should make it clear of the importance of allowing 4 hours from taking the medication and eating or taking other supplements so it does not interfere. I am forever grateful to the Manufacturers of Tirosint for making this very clean thyroid medication because binders really do play a factor in Hashimoto’s. I just hope I do not develop a sensitivity to glycerin.”

Sally · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “I was prescribed Tirosint-SOL in May, 2020 for Hashimoto's disease. The first month was fine with slight heart racing at night. Then on July 1, had chest pains during the night. I stopped taking Tirosint and called my doctor. At first I thought it was COVID19, and I got tested - it was negative. I stopped taking all Thyroid medicine. Had chest pains throughout July. Well, long story short, I had emergency triple bypass operation on July 27. I am 65 years old and without any other health issues. I do NOT recommend this medication. The side effects can be awful. I do not want anyone to go through this experience.”

ACBarrie May 12, 2013

For Hashimoto's disease: “I was affected by the Levoxyl recall and was devastated. I had been on Levoxyl for Hashimotos for about 3 years, it was the only thyroid med that made me feel what I thought at the time was 'good'. Looking back, I wasn't good at all...no sex drive, weight gain, swollen face, extreme anxiety. I switchd to Tirosint about a month ago and when I noticed these side effects dissipating I was ECSTATIC but also so confused! I had no idea the Levoxyl was causing so much negativity in my life. Tirosint has NO Fillers, and for that reason...all those negative side effects from Levoxyl were gone. I dropped 5 lbs almost immediately taking me back to my post Hashimotos weight. Sex drive was back, anxiety decreased. Best of all, I'm just happy again!”

Beth · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 11, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “I have been on Tirosint for 5 year and have done fairly well on it. This past April 2020 I noticed the distributor of the drug changed but thought nothing of it. I then developed a pain in my left shoulder and also began to have an incredibly itchy rash located on my front shins. My Endo suggested it looked like an allergic reaction. We increased my dose to a higher one over five days and when I started the higher dose the rash got better but then returned. I have now switched to Synthroid and the rash has gone completely. I suspect the casing of the drug has changed with the new distributor, which doesn't make much sense. I think something has happened to the drug that they aren't telling us.”

Mic · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 25, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “For the people who have concerns with hair loss. I have heard that if you need and can tolerate taking zinc supplement it decreases hair loss and also helps convert the t4 to t3. As always consult your Dr”

DCGIRL · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 28, 2020

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I went on Tirosint when Levoxyl stopped working after they changed the formulary. It worked great until March or so of this year. Now my hair is falling out, I’ve gained 8 lbs., my temp is 96, I’m exhausted, etc. because of the pandemic, I didn’t figure it out right away. Obviously hypothyroidism and I’m so bummed. Awaiting test results and a consult with my doctor. What did they do to Tirosint? Synthroid or Levoxyl don’t work for me. What do I do next? What a nightmare.”

Boston22 · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 31, 2019

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “Been on Tirosint for 7yrs after switching from other forms of levothyroxine. Been doing great on it, with small dose changes, when needed. 4-months ago, was feeling unwell, endo tested me & my TSH was highest it's been since before I started Tirosint. We increased my dose, I'm now worse with full hypo symptoms that are affecting all areas of my life & functioning (intense pain, fatigue, brain fog, menstrual issues, etc.) Just had my thyroid panel & my TSH has climbed HIGHER, on a Tirosint dose increase -opposite of what should be happening. Hasn't been this high since my thyroid was removed. I contacted the Tirosint manufacturer to see if the formulation has changed -NO RESPONSE. Will contact all the necessary channels to find out what's going on. It seems obvious that it must be the meds, since my issues coincide w/their packaging & capsule sizes changing. I'm livid that they haven't responded. People's lives are at stake. Those without thyroids NEED effective hormone replacement to LIVE.”

isabelle · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 2, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “I have been on every and I mean every thyroid medication known to my doctor. The Tirosint had worked the best because of my gluten and lactose issues. However, my insurance company refuses to pay for the medication and since my husband is retiring soon, I will have to go off my meds altogether. I simply cannot afford to pay. I also suffer from Lupus and other autoimmune diseases.”

Ash May 19, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “I have been using Tirosint for over 8 months. I feel good and more energetic during my day. I can actually get more work done without having to take a mid day nap. However, I haven’t done blood work to see how the real effects are taking place within, but for the pass two months I starting experiencing terrible joint pains in my wrist, fingers and legs. So I’m starting to wonder base on some of the other comments if this med is cause these pains.”

KA · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2019

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “Thyroid removed in 2014 due to cancer. Have been on every medicine out there. I was happy on Naturethroid until change in 2018 and it quit working. Not happy with NP or Synthroid. Just tried Tirosint 6 weeks ago. Noticed a lot of aches and pains have disappeared. Although this med is absorbed much easier for me and I had to start skipping a day every 5th day on 125. If I didn't - I experienced pains in lower legs and other signs of over treatment. I just got my blood work and TSH was 1.19. So its working very well. Could prob go on 100 but Dr is happy with what I am doing. I had a small amount of hashimoto in my removed thyroid. This med is stronger than levo so be careful when switching. I was on 135 levo before the switch and started on 125 of this med and I could tell it was still too much. I even eat breakfast with mine. It doesn't even bother it. So those with gastro issues try eating with your dose. I'm happy and hope it stays this way for a while. I'm tired of switching meds.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “I am not the patient but have power of attorney for her. She's my mother in law and I've been caring for her medical needs for more than 15 years. She has Alzheimers disease and is now in memory care. I've been unable to visit her since the Covid started. We can talk through the mobile phone and see her through a window. She is so frail now. Losing weight. Won't eat much. Sleeps almost continually. Begs to see her family. Was changed from Levothyroxine about 3 months ago to Tirosint. Going downhill continually. 95 years old and getting good care in her memory facility (we are lucky). But this drug seems to be making her worse. Get used to it. This is what Socialized Medicine looks like.”

Frank · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2019

For Hashimoto's disease: “I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's a year ago and have had an underactive thyroid. I have spent years feeling very tired, irritable, depressed, no energy, no strength, no endurance, in a brain fog, crazy periods, joint pain, list goes on....overall not well. I was considered subclinical with TSH of 7 and my endocrinologist prescribed me 13mcg of Tirosint, the lowest dose. She said if it helps, great, but if not, I can stop taking it and try wait and see approach. I felt better the first day after taking the medication. I had a little more energy and was able to concentrate more than usual. I started a journal and each day I was noticing how much better I was feeling. Now it has been 4 weeks and I feel better than I have in years.”

Nath · Taken for 10 years or more March 1, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “I was on generic levothyroxine for over 30 years at 112mcg per day. I felt ok but over the past couple of years, I had up and downs with it. Got really worse since January with dizziness, extreme tiredness and nausea....come to find out the manufacturers replaced the lactose ingredient by mannitol....our culprit. Did some research, mannitol is no longer allowed in France and Belgium because of its side effects. I asked my doc to switch me to Tirosint (pure form with no mannitol or dyes) and my symptoms have subsided! So far so good ... need to wait to 2 weeks to check my levels...I bet I may even have to lower my dose as I seem to absorb this one better ... I am thankful to the manufacturer of Tirosint as I feel so much better!”

LeighaV · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2015

For Hashimoto's disease: “I have have Hashimotos. Tirosint has changed my life for the good!!!! I have taken it for four months and I have felt like a human being again. I was a like a zombie for 10 years on stupid Armour. Fortunately I received a bad batch of Armour that sent me to the ER twice last October which prompted my medication change to Tirosint. I want to let everyone know with Hashimotos that Tirosint is truly a God sent medication. I hope it works for you like it has for me. I had no idea how sick I was on stupid Armour. That's what I call it because Armour made me stupid. I couldn't think straight while taking it. Now with Tirosint I'm a force to be reckoned with!! I have a New job and have tons of energy! I have been reorganizing and cleaning my house”

Anonymous August 23, 2019

For Hashimoto's disease: “I started taking this drug Tirosint a year ago and initially felt more awake, energetic and happier. I lost some weight and was back to a comfortable maintenance weight pre-thyroid issues, but in the past few months, I have gained it all back and then some more. I honestly notice no difference in my energy levels now and in fact notice my immune system is much worse than before. I think this may all be due to the recent change in manufacturer, as all the side effects have shown up since early this year, but I’m ready to be off this drug.”

Anonymous August 11, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “I have to say I was excited to triosint but after roughly 8-9 weeks I started to notice tingling in my legs and left arm. I also noticed redness on my chest and vision issues. I wouldn’t have thought it was the medication but since I don’t take it one day out of the week usually every Sunday I would start to feel better by end of day once I started to take it again on Mondays my usual schedule usually by 4 hours later I started to get the tingling feeling again. My legs felt week and knees and joints were hurting. I do better on synthroid”

Andrea October 10, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: “I have Graves Disease & took RAI (radioactive iodine (I-31)) to treat the disease which means now I have to top up my thyroid levels. I’ve previously taken Levoxyl, Synthroid & lastly Armour. Always felt miserable with Levoxyl & Synthroid why the last three years I was taking Armour. Within the last year taking Armour I’ve had terrible inflammation/joint pain, anxiety, insomnia, hair loss, dry skin, weight gain and the list goes on. It was coincidental I forgot to take an Armour pill & realized how in one day all my symptoms went away. Next day I took my Armour and they all returned back. It was so bad I couldn’t even bend my knees. I was miserable! I’ve been reading about Tirosint the last few months and my endo was more than accommodating to let me try it. WOW!!! What a difference, I’m not as hungry, losing weight, no anxiety, sleeping through the night and overall just feeling great as I’ve never had thyroid issues. However, I did have some heart palpitation last night. I’m going to get my lab work done today, as I feel the dosage maybe too high.”

paticia July 24, 2013

For Underactive Thyroid: “Tirosint has been great for me. I have hypothyroidism and was starting to have recurring symptoms. Tirosint got rid of these symptoms. My recurring symptoms while on Levoxyl (but only after over ten years on it) were- puffy face, constipation, fatigue. When I took Tirosint the symptoms were gone. I am very happy with Tirosint. I have no side effects.”

Hypothyroidism Victim March 19, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: “Personally I really like Tirosint better than any other Thyroid medication I've taken. I was on Armor for 3 months and started to lose my hair and my nails got very thin. Then I switched to Synthroid hoping that my hair would stop falling out. But it only got worse. After a month on Synthroid I lost at least half my hair. So I talked to my Doctor and we switched me to Tirosint and after 3 weeks of using it my hair has barely fallen out! I personally have had no harmful side effects with Tirosint and I am glad I switched. Yes it may be a little pricey a month but its totally worth not having my hair fall out!”

Jaisa · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “Was on low dose for 2 weeks developed rash, sore throat thought it was a virus after 2 more weeks developed severe headache, neck pain and dizziness. Stopped med 5 days ago still having issues but severe headache less. Not sure how long before all out of system.”

Kat · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 12, 2019

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I have been on Tirosint for 21 months along with a T3 only med. But for the past month I have been exhibiting hypo symptoms when nothing else has changed. This is for the 100 mcg dosage. I called the number on the box and reported my symptoms. The woman said she has been getting other complaints and recently, too. What's important to note is that in December 2018 Tirosint changed distributors. I think there is a batch consistency issue. I am sleeping 12 hours a night, having depression (nothing changed in my life), increased joint pain and severe fatigue. The only reason I rated it an 8 is because for the first year-and-a-half, with the old distributor, I had no issues. I REALLY don't want to change thyroid meds again. That would be devastating.”

MrsDMarshall · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 22, 2014

For Hashimoto's disease: “Tirosint is a God sent medication, after many side effects from generic and brand name Synthroid it was determined that I should try this brand. I was never normal until this medication (metabolically, physically or mentally). It just works best. I am my old me again before Hasimoto's disease.”