User Reviews for Tirosint

Underactive Thyroid
7.4

Summary of Tirosint reviews 7.7 77 reviews

Reviews for Tirosint

For Underactive Thyroid "A word of caution about levothyroxine - not all levothyroxine drugs are equal. I recently experienced a nasty episode with generic levothyroxine because the manufacturer changed the formula (replaced lactose with mannitol) which made me very sick for months (dizziness, nausea, over tiredness, chest pain and arrhythmia). It took a while to figure out since there was no communication of a "change" from the manufacturer. The switch to "Tirosint" was a life savior! Right away, the symptoms subsided. It is so important to check the excipients (=fillers). Tirosint has glycerin, water, levothyroxine, that's it! As an NTI drug (narrow therapeutic index), I would never risk the generic again. I was too sick and spend too much money with docs who couldn't find anything wrong with me! After doing research, I asked for just ask for the brand - I am so glad as it solved all of my "issues"!t""

Nath (taken for 10 years or more) March 14, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid "Tirosint works fine and are gluten free which is important if you have Celiac Disease. However! The price of this drug went from $50. per month to $145. per month. Greed is ugly."

Jeannie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 12, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid "I was on generic levothyroxine for over 30 years at 112mcg per day. I felt ok but over the past couple of years, I had up and downs with it. Got really worse since January with dizziness, extreme tiredness and nausea....come to find out the manufacturers replaced the lactose ingredient by mannitol....our culprit. Did some research, mannitol is no longer allowed in France and Belgium because of its side effects. I asked my doc to switch me to Tirosint (pure form with no mannitol or dyes) and my symptoms have subsided! So far so good ... need to wait to 2 weeks to check my levels...I bet I may even have to lower my dose as I seem to absorb this one better ... I am thankful to the manufacturer of Tirosint as I feel so much better!"

Nath (taken for 10 years or more) March 1, 2019

For Hashimoto's disease "I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's a year ago and have had an underactive thyroid. I have spent years feeling very tired, irritable, depressed, no energy, no strength, no endurance, in a brain fog, crazy periods, joint pain, list goes on....overall not well. I was considered subclinical with TSH of 7 and my endocrinologist prescribed me 13mcg of Tirosint, the lowest dose. She said if it helps, great, but if not, I can stop taking it and try wait and see approach. I felt better the first day after taking the medication. I had a little more energy and was able to concentrate more than usual. I started a journal and each day I was noticing how much better I was feeling. Now it has been 4 weeks and I feel better than I have in years."

Frank (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2019

For Hashimoto's disease "Totally agree with Babs. My prescription price doubled, and now I cannot afford the medication. Not sure what happened starting in 2019 other than the company doubling the price and insurance companies refusing to cover the difference. My insurer dropped it from their covered prescriptions totally. Such a shame. This will really mess with those that depend on this medication."

Ash (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 7, 2019

For Hashimoto's disease "The synthroid 75 stopped working after 11 years. I went back to unothroid as my PPO plan said I had to document response. It was awful trying to get out of bed, paying attention to my tasks, remembering where I filed or put stuff. I felt like my self was in another universe. The PPO Plan approved Tirosint and gradually the cloud lifted. I've been on the same dose for over a year and I've done well although there are times that I think I could do better based on the medication level. My problem is that in 2019 the price went for from $515 for a three month supply to $1,423 for a three month supply. So I guess I have to go back to higher levels of unithroid. So freaking sad."

Babs (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 23, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid "I’ve been on Tirosint for 3 months now. The best I’ve felt in YEARS! I previously posted in October and I can only say if the other various thyroid medications are making you feel awful, YOU HAVE TO TRY TIROSINT! My energy level is fabulous, losing weight, no hair loss, coherent, etc and overall LIVING LIFE to the FULLEST."

Andrea (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2019

For Hashimoto's disease "I was on naturethroid but I had trouble taking the two doses every day so it was not working for me. Tirosint is only one dose per day (I take 200 mcg). I am 35 year old female and have a 5-year old. Before tirosint my energy levels were always low, I felt like a walking zombie. Naturethroid worked ok but no big improvements. On Tirosint, I can get through the day without feeling like I will crash when I get home. I struggled after giving birth, my libido went down the drain. Tirosint has done wonders for my sexual health in the short 3 weeks I’ve been on it. I also have absorption problems and tirosint is best for people who have lactose intolerance and absorption issues. I love Tirosint. It’s a blessing, truly. I am 5 feet and 177 lbs (obese because of thyroid). Tirosint has also helped me eat less. I only lost one lb so far but honestly the weight loss is secondary, the fact that I don’t feel dead AND my libido is back, is more than enough three weeks into it."

Toast_and_Brie December 6, 2018

For Hashimoto's disease "My doctor recently changed my T4 medication from Synthroid to Tirosint. Even though we lowered the dose to 100 mcg, from 110, I feel like it is still high. I am going to try taking it every other day to see how that works & do a blood test in a couple of weeks. Anyone with the same experience?"

Fara December 4, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid "I have Graves Disease & took RAI (radioactive iodine (I-31)) to treat the disease which means now I have to top up my thyroid levels. I’ve previously taken Levoxyl, Synthroid & lastly Armour. Always felt miserable with Levoxyl & Synthroid why the last three years I was taking Armour. Within the last year taking Armour I’ve had terrible inflammation/joint pain, anxiety, insomnia, hair loss, dry skin, weight gain and the list goes on. It was coincidental I forgot to take an Armour pill & realized how in one day all my symptoms went away. Next day I took my Armour and they all returned back. It was so bad I couldn’t even bend my knees. I was miserable! I’ve been reading about Tirosint the last few months and my endo was more than accommodating to let me try it. WOW!!! What a difference, I’m not as hungry, losing weight, no anxiety, sleeping through the night and overall just feeling great as I’ve never had thyroid issues. However, I did have some heart palpitation last night. I’m going to get my lab work done today, as I feel the dosage maybe too high."

Andrea October 10, 2018

For Hashimoto's disease "I've tried several different thyroid meds for hashimotos and this is the worst I've felt by far! I couldn't go to the bathroom couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, felt a lump in my throat, gained weight, was freezing cold and ended up in the ER because of my stomach pains. I switched back to Armour Thyroid but now need to see a gastroenterologist because my stomach is still suffering because of that dreaded Tirosint!!!!!"

Mimi (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid "Great medication for those who have absorption issues (Celiac, diary intolerances, etc) and no T3 conversion problems. On that note, you will find that a specific dose of Tirosint will feel much higher than that same dose in regular Levothyroxine, for example. As a gel cap with no fillers, more medication is able to absorb into your system. Start with a much lower dose than you think you need and work your way up. Over the past 10 years I've tried Armour Thyroid, NP Thyroid, NatureThroid, Levothyroxine, & Synthroid. With all the other medications, I always felt like I was constantly increasing my dose. At one point, I was on 200mcg of levothyroxine. I'm now taking 25mcg of Tirosint 5-6 days a week. My levels have never been as "steady" as they are with Tirosint, and it's nice to know I only need a small dose of it as opposed to depending on such a large dose on a daily basis. The only downside is the price, but it makes a world of difference."

Vanna August 8, 2018

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "Had started on synthroid after thyroidectomy. Felt terrible for 2 years. Went on WP thyroid & was doing fairly well on that for 2 years until the shortage. Started out on 112 dose. This was too high, but so far I'm feeling good on 100 dose. Better than when I was on any of the 3 desiccated thyroid meds I had tried. (WP, NP, Naturethroid). So glad they make this! My only comment is 28 pills in a refill. I get mine every 90 days, so I'm shorted. It's not logical."

Jewel (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2018

For Hashimoto's disease "Started taking Tirosint (50 mg) when I was diagnosed with Hashimotos and had a TPO pf 1200 and a TSH of 6.8. It has been a year and my TSH bounces between 1.03-2. I feel just fine and there have been no side effects, though it would have been cool to drop a couple pounds! Was using Willow Pharmacy but I understand they have been purchased by Highland. I hope they honor the coupon!"

janey July 11, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid "For underactive thyroid I was first given synthroid. I had very bad side effects which included feeling very hyped up, terrible insomnia and anxiety out the roof. I felt crazy like I was on street drugs or something! Horrible experience that went on for many weeks. I finally was able to see an endo. Who right away put me on tirosint. Wow what a difference. No side effects. It took almost one year to get my levels right and my medication dose settled in but it was worth it. In the short term I felt much better after about a month. My doctor says the dyes and other fillers could have been causing my previous reaction. I am super sensitive to drugs and will not take over the counter meds or anything because of this. Tirosint is worth the extra cost if you are having problems like mine. They do offer a 35.00 coupon good for 18 months online if insurance wont pick up the cost."

Jo jo (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid "I've been on Tirosint for over 6 years now. I tried Synthroid and even Armour. Nothing worked until Tirosint. I started with 25 mcg and went up to 50mcg and have been on 50 mcg like forever. My levels went from 14 to 8 then to 6 then to 4. Then I went back up to 8 and my doctor increased me to 75 mcg. Well, I thought I was going to die. The headaches, the fatigue, seeing spots, feeling dizzy, stomach discomfort etc. Then some kind of lump developed on the right side of my neck. Like some kind of alien moving along my neck line & as it was happening I called for my husband and said what is that thing!!!!... So, I just put myself back on the 50 mg and within 2 weeks felt better but, not totally better. I think by increasing my med to 75 mcg was not a good plan by my doctor. I always say if it isn't broke don't fix it!!!...."

Lyd (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 3, 2018

For Hashimoto's disease "I thought this med would be my silver bullet ! I was so relieved and excited to try it. 5 months in and no difference whatsoever! Even after multiple increases in dosage. Terribly disappointing as I had to fight to get it with insurance etc ect etc and it is not cheap ! I feel I am out of options as generic levo did nothing and I’ve also tried unithroid and armor, which was worse than all of them combined ! Armor is not worth all the praise it receives. I’m at a loss now. Gained over 25 MORE pounds on this tirosint!"

Doesn’t matter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 7, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid "I was excited to switch from synthroid to tirosint because my doctor told me that it was gluten free compared to other medications. I have been on it for a little over a month after switching from synthroid and I feel so terrible, anxiety, insomnia, fatigue , lots of hair loss & weight is stuck and my goiter in my neck is enlarged again. I called my doctor because I want to go back on my synthroid. I did read that some people do better on it than others and I believe it is just not for me."

Bina (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid "This medicine I thought would be very good,vboy was I wrong.vIt lowered my numbers but it caused me to run a low grade fever that is making me miserable and I just discovered what was causing the fever. I thought to start looking at all my medicines again and lo and behold it stated that one of the less side effects was fever.vI am going to see if my medical doctor will change it to something else."

dee jayne (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid "Tirosint saved my life after many years of Synthroid making me gain weight for no reason and failing to keep my levels stable, despite dosage increases. Every doctor I went to brushed off my concerns until finally one mentioned Tirosint. I am finally able to lose weight instead of gain and my thyroid levels have never been better."

ExerciseSweetie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2018

For Hashimoto's disease "So I’m still very new to trying tirosint, I started on 100mcg which I personally felt was way too much! I had my doctor send over for a lower dose of 25mcg. It is still to new to really say besides it makes me cold where with out it I’m hot or having hot flash type symptoms. I really want to know why the company packages it in an odd number. A pack is 28 and not 30. My pharmacy is charging for a 30 day pack but I’m getting 28 days worth???? Is there some class action suit needed to be taken on the drug company or cvs pharmacy ?!?"

Hheysunshine (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2018

For Hashimoto's disease "I had been on synthroid for over 10 years for hypothyroidism. I was then diagnosed last year with Hashimotos. I felt like the Synthroid was no longer working for me. I saw a new Endocrinologist who gave me samples of Tirosint. I am a migraine sufferer and have been for years. I started getting headaches with the Tirosint that were different than my migraines. Not even two weeks after starting Tirosint I had a headache so bad I could not stop puking. I ended up at the ER. As they started an IV and pain/nausea meds they tell me they need to admit me to ICU. My heart rate was 166, and I was in AFIB. I have never had heart problems in my life, and no history in my family. Luckily the drugs they were giving me in my IV put my heart back in rhythm, or they were going to have to stop/restart my heart. Once released from the hospital I never took Tirosint again, and went back to Synthroid. I am now permanently on Cardizem and an aspirin a day."

17895steele (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2018

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal "I've had my thyroid removed for over ten years now. I've taken generic thyroid medicine, Synthroid, and now Tirosint. The dye in my Synthroid kept me from getting regulated. My body responded well to Tirosint for about 5 consecutive years. Due to insurance changes, I got off of it last year and got back on this year when my physician made a few calls to assist me. To my dismay, Tirosint is not working for me, even with me taking Cytomel to help me digest and absorb it. I'm tired, have thinning hair, levels are at 8.999, and I'm sweating with every movement. I'm quite disappointed that I can't get regulated."

Drea C (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 27, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid "I switched over to Tirosint after taking levothyroxine for the past two years. It worked for me, I felt great and energetic. The only downside after switching is that I gained at least 10-15 lbs, and my face has gotten puffy I hate it. My insurance won’t cover the dose I’m on (150mcg) and it’s just way too expensive out of pocket. I believe my last refill was around $150, the pharmacy was able to bring it down to $113, which is still a lot for only a 28 day supply. I just switched to Armour Thyroid, (90mg). Hopefully that will help with the weight loss, it’s also NDT which is another good alternative if you prefer the natural route."

drread90 November 15, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid "I had tried Armour thyroid, Synthroid DAW, compounded T3/T4, cytomel and Tirosint was able to control my TSH, T3 and T4 much more than the other drugs. I haven't needed to make many adjustments at all on the medication. I did lose a few pounds in the first month of switching to Tirosint as well."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 21, 2017