User Reviews for Tirosint to treat Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal

Tirosint has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 17 ratings for the treatment of Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal. 65% of those users who reviewed Tirosint reported a positive effect, while 29% reported a negative effect.

Tirosint Rating Summary

6.9/10 average rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal.

Reviews for Tirosint

Luvlife · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 2, 2020

“22 yrs since my cancer. Finally, I am doing well on Tirosint. Been on it for 8 weeks and 1 dosage change since my 6 wk TSH blood test. Feel better so far. I have been on many different dosages of synthriod and levothyroxine and there was never the same dosage for longer than 6 months. I am hopeful in finding the correct Tirosint dosage. Too many fillers in Synthriod/Levothyroxine. My new Endrocologist and last Endrocologist suggested Tirosint.”

Missy August 29, 2020

“I was on name brand synthroid from 2008 until 2019, my doctor switched me to tirosint thinking that I would have less heart palpitaions and better absorption. I was on 200mcg of synthroid, tsh was 0.01, I am now on 112mcg of tirosint with a tsh of 0.1. I gained a significant amount of weight so my endo dr added 5mcg of t3, I have not lost any of the weight. Since starting the tirosint, my weight has increased from 116lbs to 130-131. I exercise and move a lot and do watch what I eat, although I do allow sweets in moderation as I always have. I have also noticed an increase in hair loss, a lot of hair loss, and very dry hair, thankfully I have thick hair but the dryness is awful. Long story short, I don't believe tirosint is the right medication for me as I have gained so much weight and lost a large amount of hair, even with the added t3 which didn't help to change the weight issues. I will be requesting to go back to name brand synthroid with the added t3 to see if this helps.”

DCGIRL · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 28, 2020

“I went on Tirosint when Levoxyl stopped working after they changed the formulary. It worked great until March or so of this year. Now my hair is falling out, I’ve gained 8 lbs., my temp is 96, I’m exhausted, etc. because of the pandemic, I didn’t figure it out right away. Obviously hypothyroidism and I’m so bummed. Awaiting test results and a consult with my doctor. What did they do to Tirosint? Synthroid or Levoxyl don’t work for me. What do I do next? What a nightmare.”

Boston22 · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 31, 2019

“Been on Tirosint for 7yrs after switching from other forms of levothyroxine. Been doing great on it, with small dose changes, when needed. 4-months ago, was feeling unwell, endo tested me & my TSH was highest it's been since before I started Tirosint. We increased my dose, I'm now worse with full hypo symptoms that are affecting all areas of my life & functioning (intense pain, fatigue, brain fog, menstrual issues, etc.) Just had my thyroid panel & my TSH has climbed HIGHER, on a Tirosint dose increase -opposite of what should be happening. Hasn't been this high since my thyroid was removed. I contacted the Tirosint manufacturer to see if the formulation has changed -NO RESPONSE. Will contact all the necessary channels to find out what's going on. It seems obvious that it must be the meds, since my issues coincide w/their packaging & capsule sizes changing. I'm livid that they haven't responded. People's lives are at stake. Those without thyroids NEED effective hormone replacement to LIVE.”

KA · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2019

“Thyroid removed in 2014 due to cancer. Have been on every medicine out there. I was happy on Naturethroid until change in 2018 and it quit working. Not happy with NP or Synthroid. Just tried Tirosint 6 weeks ago. Noticed a lot of aches and pains have disappeared. Although this med is absorbed much easier for me and I had to start skipping a day every 5th day on 125. If I didn't - I experienced pains in lower legs and other signs of over treatment. I just got my blood work and TSH was 1.19. So its working very well. Could prob go on 100 but Dr is happy with what I am doing. I had a small amount of hashimoto in my removed thyroid. This med is stronger than levo so be careful when switching. I was on 135 levo before the switch and started on 125 of this med and I could tell it was still too much. I even eat breakfast with mine. It doesn't even bother it. So those with gastro issues try eating with your dose. I'm happy and hope it stays this way for a while. I'm tired of switching meds.”

Kat · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 12, 2019

“I have been on Tirosint for 21 months along with a T3 only med. But for the past month I have been exhibiting hypo symptoms when nothing else has changed. This is for the 100 mcg dosage. I called the number on the box and reported my symptoms. The woman said she has been getting other complaints and recently, too. What's important to note is that in December 2018 Tirosint changed distributors. I think there is a batch consistency issue. I am sleeping 12 hours a night, having depression (nothing changed in my life), increased joint pain and severe fatigue. The only reason I rated it an 8 is because for the first year-and-a-half, with the old distributor, I had no issues. I REALLY don't want to change thyroid meds again. That would be devastating.”

Loving Tirosint · Taken for less than 1 month November 23, 2016

“I was on levothyroxine for a year after my cancer surgery/thyroid removal. it was the worst year of my life. I was seriously hating life, because I hurt every single day. Muscle aches, swelling, every symptom you can imagine. Weight gain was the worst. I fired my endo and waited two months to see the new one. If I wasn't married, I'd propose to the man. In three weeks my life has changed. I can go to the gym, and not feel like I have been hit by a truck. No muscle aches. I have lost 9 lbs. Brain fog is lifting. I sleep better, and my I don't feel like a 47 year old stuck in a 90 year old body. I will pay ANY amount of money and I will NEVER go back.”

Ree August 11, 2019

“Graves Disease/RAI Diagnosed 2004 Today is day 19 on Tirosint I have rapid heart heartbeat, shortness of breath, waking up gasping for air, body sore in the weirdest places, hips, calves, under both arm pits, as if they are bruised. MAJOR anxiety, I feel like I am vibrating throughout my entire body, shaking so bad I sliced my finger open cutting veggies earlier. Zero history of any sort of anxiety issues. Have experienced a few episodes of leg cramping but the seized muscle from my neck down into my shoulder on the left side is very painful. Maybe the dose is too high because it is a concentrated more natural version, which I understand, not chancing anything more serious. I have read wonderful reviews about this medication & we are all different, this is simply my experience.”

Jaclyn · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

“I took my first dose of Tirosint in the morning and within a half hour my ears started ringing and I got a bad headache. By the time it was bedtime I felt so nervous and shaky that I never fell asleep. It was an awful experience. The next day I went back to my Synthroid.”

sorry · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2019

“I loved it for the first month. Then, I developed, agonizing headaches, and chest pains. Had to go to the ER, four times in pain. They could not do anything. Seven months later, I am still in pain, and have to go to a gastro specialist, to find out what is wrong in my stomach. It is really scary. I think it gave my some kind of ulcers in my stomach.”

24ann25 August 19, 2013

“I started Tirosint after Levoxyl was taken from the market. It is the best. I take this in combination with Liothyronine. Aside from insomnia, which I have experienced with every other medicine as well, and I've taken them all, this is the best I've felt in years. ”

Jen · Taken for 10 years or more April 13, 2019

“Same as the comments below. Tirosint is the only thing that has worked for me and I’ve been on it for 10 years....but I just went to pick up my first prescription in 2019 and found that even after jumping through the hurdles of getting my insurance to entertain covering it, they will only cover $30 of the $150 per month. It’s too unaffordable so I have no idea what I’m going to do now. Shame on this company for increasing prices when healthcare and insurance is already a joke.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 26, 2017

“I have felt horrible for ten years since they removed my thyroid. I was told I didn't metabolize Synthroid properly. My doctor tried everything with negative results. I recently came across a published paper on the NIH website and it mentioned Tirosint. My doctor had never heard of it but she was willing to give it a try. That was two months ago and I have never felt better. I know the drug is expensive but there is a manufacturers coupon online. I ended up paying $35.00 but I would gladly pay full price. That's how good it is!!!!”

Anonymous August 6, 2012

“Could not get my T3 or TSH regulated before this medicine and now it is stable. I take this and wait about 1 hour before I eat, so I haven't had any stomach problems. It is easier for the system to absorb since it is a gel cap. If your doctor is reluctant to try one of the dessicated thyroid medicines, this may be an alternative for you.”

M77 · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2013

“Within 30 seconds after taking this medicine, my stomach becomes a volcano. I think it is something in the coating rather than the medicine itself. Discontinued use and am now on Armour 45mg and Synthroid (not generic) 50mcg. Am still working on blood levels, but after stopping Tirosint, my stomach problems ceased. Too bad, I was really excited by this new medicine.”

SleeplessinCA February 17, 2012

“This is the third medication I have been on since my thyroid removal. Tirosint seems smoother than Synthroid. However, I have had a lot of gastro-intestinal issues and sleep issues while on Tirosint. My quality of life is now very poor. Since Tirosint is better than the other 2 medications I tried, I will remain on it.”

Jewel · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 27, 2018

“Had started on synthroid after thyroidectomy. Felt terrible for 2 years. Went on WP thyroid & was doing fairly well on that for 2 years until the shortage. Started out on 112 dose. This was too high, but so far I'm feeling good on 100 dose. Better than when I was on any of the 3 desiccated thyroid meds I had tried. (WP, NP, Naturethroid). So glad they make this! My only comment is 28 pills in a refill. I get mine every 90 days, so I'm shorted. It's not logical.”

Joseyb August 1, 2016

“After trying 3 different medicines and a countless number of dosage combinations we found out that my body was not absorbing the tablets properly and the gel capsules allow my body to absorb the proper amounts. After having thyroid cancer at 15 and not being able to find anything that really worked I'm glad we tried this. The only downside is the cost since it is almost triple what I have been paying for every other medications.”

Drea C · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 27, 2017

“I've had my thyroid removed for over ten years now. I've taken generic thyroid medicine, Synthroid, and now Tirosint. The dye in my Synthroid kept me from getting regulated. My body responded well to Tirosint for about 5 consecutive years. Due to insurance changes, I got off of it last year and got back on this year when my physician made a few calls to assist me. To my dismay, Tirosint is not working for me, even with me taking Cytomel to help me digest and absorb it. I'm tired, have thinning hair, levels are at 8.999, and I'm sweating with every movement. I'm quite disappointed that I can't get regulated.”

bbmjenjen1 March 12, 2014

“The best I have felt since removal of thyroid in July of 2012 after trying combination of dosage to eliminate the dye and other additives.”

Anonymous March 30, 2012