User Reviews for Tirosint to treat Hashimoto's disease

Tirosint has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 43 ratings for the treatment of Hashimoto's disease. 58% of those users who reviewed Tirosint reported a positive effect, while 35% reported a negative effect.

Tirosint Rating Summary

6.4/10 average rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Hashimoto's disease.

Reviews for Tirosint

Lonesome Dove · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 15, 2021

“Oh my goodness! My endocrinologist switched me from Synthroid to Tirosint because I wasn't absorbing the Synthroid. After taking Tirosint for awhile, I started to become suicidally depressed. I'm not on many Rx, but I felt Tirosint was the culprit. I stopped taking it all together about 2.5 weeks ago. Guess what? I'm happy. (I did this on my own. Consult with doctor.) I'm not one who's into supplements, but I researched and researched and found that Selenium is supposed to help your thyroid. I've been taking Selenium since I've been off Tirosint. (Again, ask your doctor.) I'm now just taking Selenium (again, talk to doctor) and I feel great. I would NOT recommend this drug to anyone.”

SavvasM · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 18, 2021

“I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at the age of 18. I started on TIROSINT 50 but wasn't doing anything at all, my TSH was exactly the same. I jumped up to 75 and still no change. Finally after 4 months I got up to 100 and only then my TSH started dropping. As of today, I maintain a TSH value of 2 with TIROSINT 100 . I want to point out that the prices that all of you state seem quite marked up. In Greece, I pay 8.50€-8.80€ for a month worth of supplies (1 box of 30 capsules TIROSINT 100) . I've read that you can pay up to 80-100$ for 84 days worth which is insane! And it's not covered by health insurance in Greece . It's crazy how much mark up you have to pay! For me ,it's kinda weird and I get quite uncomfortable thinking that I'll have to depend on this medicine for the rest of my life. I can't imagine myself taking this for like 40-60 years everyday. In my 2,5 years using TIROSINT I had 0 issues with it.”

Sally · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2020

“I was prescribed Tirosint-SOL in May, 2020 for Hashimoto's disease. The first month was fine with slight heart racing at night. Then on July 1, had chest pains during the night. I stopped taking Tirosint and called my doctor. At first I thought it was COVID19, and I got tested - it was negative. I stopped taking all Thyroid medicine. Had chest pains throughout July. Well, long story short, I had emergency triple bypass operation on July 27. I am 65 years old and without any other health issues. I do NOT recommend this medication. The side effects can be awful. I do not want anyone to go through this experience.”

Rita · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 19, 2019

“After 12 years of struggling with Synthroid and also trying NP Thyroid which was worse. I finally found an Endocrinologist that agreed that the binders in other thyroid medications were causing my Hashimoto’s autoimmune to react therefore kept my TSH to not be in control. I have been on Tirosint for a little over a year and have noticed a great improvement to the point of not having hypothyroid symptoms. I would suggest the makers of Tirosint should make it clear of the importance of allowing 4 hours from taking the medication and eating or taking other supplements so it does not interfere. I am forever grateful to the Manufacturers of Tirosint for making this very clean thyroid medication because binders really do play a factor in Hashimoto’s. I just hope I do not develop a sensitivity to glycerin.”

ACBarrie May 12, 2013

“I was affected by the Levoxyl recall and was devastated. I had been on Levoxyl for Hashimotos for about 3 years, it was the only thyroid med that made me feel what I thought at the time was 'good'. Looking back, I wasn't good at all...no sex drive, weight gain, swollen face, extreme anxiety. I switchd to Tirosint about a month ago and when I noticed these side effects dissipating I was ECSTATIC but also so confused! I had no idea the Levoxyl was causing so much negativity in my life. Tirosint has NO Fillers, and for that reason...all those negative side effects from Levoxyl were gone. I dropped 5 lbs almost immediately taking me back to my post Hashimotos weight. Sex drive was back, anxiety decreased. Best of all, I'm just happy again!”

Beth · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 11, 2020

“I have been on Tirosint for 5 year and have done fairly well on it. This past April 2020 I noticed the distributor of the drug changed but thought nothing of it. I then developed a pain in my left shoulder and also began to have an incredibly itchy rash located on my front shins. My Endo suggested it looked like an allergic reaction. We increased my dose to a higher one over five days and when I started the higher dose the rash got better but then returned. I have now switched to Synthroid and the rash has gone completely. I suspect the casing of the drug has changed with the new distributor, which doesn't make much sense. I think something has happened to the drug that they aren't telling us.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

“I am not the patient but have power of attorney for her. She's my mother in law and I've been caring for her medical needs for more than 15 years. She has Alzheimers disease and is now in memory care. I've been unable to visit her since the Covid started. We can talk through the mobile phone and see her through a window. She is so frail now. Losing weight. Won't eat much. Sleeps almost continually. Begs to see her family. Was changed from Levothyroxine about 3 months ago to Tirosint. Going downhill continually. 95 years old and getting good care in her memory facility (we are lucky). But this drug seems to be making her worse. Get used to it. This is what Socialized Medicine looks like.”

Frank · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2019

“I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's a year ago and have had an underactive thyroid. I have spent years feeling very tired, irritable, depressed, no energy, no strength, no endurance, in a brain fog, crazy periods, joint pain, list goes on....overall not well. I was considered subclinical with TSH of 7 and my endocrinologist prescribed me 13mcg of Tirosint, the lowest dose. She said if it helps, great, but if not, I can stop taking it and try wait and see approach. I felt better the first day after taking the medication. I had a little more energy and was able to concentrate more than usual. I started a journal and each day I was noticing how much better I was feeling. Now it has been 4 weeks and I feel better than I have in years.”

LeighaV · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2015

“I have have Hashimotos. Tirosint has changed my life for the good!!!! I have taken it for four months and I have felt like a human being again. I was a like a zombie for 10 years on stupid Armour. Fortunately I received a bad batch of Armour that sent me to the ER twice last October which prompted my medication change to Tirosint. I want to let everyone know with Hashimotos that Tirosint is truly a God sent medication. I hope it works for you like it has for me. I had no idea how sick I was on stupid Armour. That's what I call it because Armour made me stupid. I couldn't think straight while taking it. Now with Tirosint I'm a force to be reckoned with!! I have a New job and have tons of energy! I have been reorganizing and cleaning my house”

Anonymous August 23, 2019

“I started taking this drug Tirosint a year ago and initially felt more awake, energetic and happier. I lost some weight and was back to a comfortable maintenance weight pre-thyroid issues, but in the past few months, I have gained it all back and then some more. I honestly notice no difference in my energy levels now and in fact notice my immune system is much worse than before. I think this may all be due to the recent change in manufacturer, as all the side effects have shown up since early this year, but I’m ready to be off this drug.”

MrsDMarshall · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 22, 2014

“Tirosint is a God sent medication, after many side effects from generic and brand name Synthroid it was determined that I should try this brand. I was never normal until this medication (metabolically, physically or mentally). It just works best. I am my old me again before Hasimoto's disease.”

Pilatescrazy February 25, 2014

“I have had Hashimoto's since I was in my 30's. Everything I take starts problems with my stomach, skin, hair, and nails. My doctor gave me 2 month supply of Tirosint and I felt 100% better. I am now switching to Tirosint and hoping that it continues to work.”

Big Bird November 16, 2019

“Hypo/Hsahis - 42 years. I recently moved and I went to an Endocrinologist that looked at the last several years of labs and advised she could see I was not absorbing meds, so she put me on Tirosint. My TSH was 14.99. 3 weeks later, my TSH was .78. After that, depression, anxiety, irritability, mood swings and major bathroom issues around the clock for a month. Went to Mayo Clinic to figure this out and after 2 months on Tirosint, my TSH was 43.2. No one believes I am taking meds. Yes, I am. Mayo put me on NP Thyroid last week. Tirosint had already done it's damage to my gut. I ended up in the ER Monday with severe stomach pains/bloating, pressure, pain, bleeding. CT scan revealed ulcerative colitis. I took med as prescribed. Dr. that prescribed it to me called me and told me that she can CLEARLY see I stopped taking my medication over 2 weeks ago. No. I have no thyroid, my Hashis attacked it and it is no longer there. I am 100% dependent on thyroid replacement now.”

NancyPants · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 11, 2020

“Started this at the new year. My hair is falling out like crazzzzzy. It's been very distressing to see. It says it can cause hair loss but in time will correct itself. I really hope it stops soon! My numbers look good (or at least that is what my doctor thinks)”

Pennypooh · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 3, 2019

“After nature thyroid and armour seemed to not be working I was put on tirosint by my Endo. I felt great the first week or so but since then I’ve had heart palpitations, fast heart rate, swollen legs and ankles, hair falling out and in the short 2 months I’ve been on it, I put on 13lbs. While all these symptoms were going on my TSH was 0.20, which meant I was very hyperthyroid.”

Toast_and_Brie December 6, 2018

“I was on naturethroid but I had trouble taking the two doses every day so it was not working for me. Tirosint is only one dose per day (I take 200 mcg). I am 35 year old female and have a 5-year old. Before tirosint my energy levels were always low, I felt like a walking zombie. Naturethroid worked ok but no big improvements. On Tirosint, I can get through the day without feeling like I will crash when I get home. I struggled after giving birth, my libido went down the drain. Tirosint has done wonders for my sexual health in the short 3 weeks I’ve been on it. I also have absorption problems and tirosint is best for people who have lactose intolerance and absorption issues. I love Tirosint. It’s a blessing, truly. I am 5 feet and 177 lbs (obese because of thyroid). Tirosint has also helped me eat less. I only lost one lb so far but honestly the weight loss is secondary, the fact that I don’t feel dead AND my libido is back, is more than enough three weeks into it.”

nancy · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 21, 2019

“first of all there is coupons for this and i pick it up from walmart for 28.30. Search coupons free for Tirosint. I first tried a company which is a SCAM company. They charged me 50 dollars saying my medication was going to be 60 a month, too late I gave the scum bags my credit card and forget this bogus company out of Florida. The medication doesn't work for me, my hair falls out, I'm tired and I'm gaining weight, so I'm going back to a compound which worked for me in the past. Good luck everyone with this,.,, uggh”

JSmith2006 January 28, 2016

“Best thyroid drug for people that have had problems with fillers used in other thyroid medications. This drug has changed my life for the better. I have tried many different thyroid medications and was ill on all of them with many trips to the ER because horrible reactions. After 9 years feeling sick with multiple symptoms finally discovered I was allergic to the fillers used in most thyroid medicines. I will say Tirosint is stronger than other thyroid meds and I had to drop my usually dosage of 150 to 125 and have had to slowly work my way back up. I think a lot of people that are having problems with this medicine is the fact that they start on their regular dose and it is too high causes hyper symptoms.”

COMtnGirl · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 10, 2014

“I started on Tirosint when they stopped making Levoxyl. I had tried the generic Levothyroxine, but I am lactose intolerant, and the fillers in them did not work well for me. I've been taking Tirosint for two years now, and I have never felt better. My TSH levels are optimal, I have better energy, sleep better, and the bloated feeling I had with the generic is gone.”

Judyau August 12, 2013

“I had tried several tablet forms of levothyroxine, all of them causing terrible problems with my stomach. I have absolutely no problems with Tirosint so I love it, but my insurance company pays nothing for it and the manufacturers keep raising the price. Initially it was about $75 for an 84 day supply, this year in Feb. & May, I paid $86 and when I filled a new prescription a few days ago, the price has gone up another $20 and I'm paying $105. ”

Babs · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 23, 2019

“The synthroid 75 stopped working after 11 years. I went back to unothroid as my PPO plan said I had to document response. It was awful trying to get out of bed, paying attention to my tasks, remembering where I filed or put stuff. I felt like my self was in another universe. The PPO Plan approved Tirosint and gradually the cloud lifted. I've been on the same dose for over a year and I've done well although there are times that I think I could do better based on the medication level. My problem is that in 2019 the price went for from $515 for a three month supply to $1,423 for a three month supply. So I guess I have to go back to higher levels of unithroid. So freaking sad.”

Luv2Lift March 22, 2015

“Just Switched from Synthroid. I had been on Synthroid for about 9 years. No fillers.No Brain fog.So Far I feel really good. A lot more Expensive. But I Don't Care.. A lot more Energy. Much better medicine. Try it!”

Margaret626 April 18, 2016

“Tirosint has been the best med I've taken for Hashimotos thus far. I tried WesThroid which is NDT (because I've read such good things about it online) and it was terrible, I went hyperthyroid in a big way and had a panic attack at work. Immediately went back to Tirosint. I also take compounded T3 as needed which is extremely helpful. I do hate that I have to pay out of pocket for it each month (BCBS FEP) but it's worth it to feel normal. It's also important to add that I am completely gluten free and heavily limit my processed sugar and dairy intake, that has been crucial in the healing process and no thyroid medication will solve your problems if you have a poor diet.”

Mimi · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2018

“I've tried several different thyroid meds for hashimotos and this is the worst I've felt by far! I couldn't go to the bathroom couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, felt a lump in my throat, gained weight, was freezing cold and ended up in the ER because of my stomach pains. I switched back to Armour Thyroid but now need to see a gastroenterologist because my stomach is still suffering because of that dreaded Tirosint!!!!!”

Titi · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2019

“I had a concern related to feeling bad and now I have a problem. The doctor recommended me Tirosint for 28 days. My results used to be optimal. I just got results and my TSH is 9. I never ever had more than 1 after being medicated for 12 years. Feeling really frustrated.”

Doesn’t matter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 7, 2018

“I thought this med would be my silver bullet ! I was so relieved and excited to try it. 5 months in and no difference whatsoever! Even after multiple increases in dosage. Terribly disappointing as I had to fight to get it with insurance etc ect etc and it is not cheap ! I feel I am out of options as generic levo did nothing and I’ve also tried unithroid and armor, which was worse than all of them combined ! Armor is not worth all the praise it receives. I’m at a loss now. Gained over 25 MORE pounds on this tirosint!”

17895steele · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2018

“I had been on synthroid for over 10 years for hypothyroidism. I was then diagnosed last year with Hashimotos. I felt like the Synthroid was no longer working for me. I saw a new Endocrinologist who gave me samples of Tirosint. I am a migraine sufferer and have been for years. I started getting headaches with the Tirosint that were different than my migraines. Not even two weeks after starting Tirosint I had a headache so bad I could not stop puking. I ended up at the ER. As they started an IV and pain/nausea meds they tell me they need to admit me to ICU. My heart rate was 166, and I was in AFIB. I have never had heart problems in my life, and no history in my family. Luckily the drugs they were giving me in my IV put my heart back in rhythm, or they were going to have to stop/restart my heart. Once released from the hospital I never took Tirosint again, and went back to Synthroid. I am now permanently on Cardizem and an aspirin a day.”

Jouleen February 20, 2017

“I was started on levothyroxin, then Armour and my symptoms were worse than before medication. Tirosint literally gave me my life back. Then new insurance made me try naturethroid. Back to the same misery that plagued me the better part of the year. Whatever the cause or effect in chemistry I am immediately changing back. Brain fog, sore muscles lethargy, fatigue, constant hunger, weight gain. Never again will I try another medicine.”

Learn more about Hashimoto's disease