User Reviews for Tirosint to treat Underactive Thyroid

Tirosint has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 43 ratings for the treatment of Underactive Thyroid. 60% of those users who reviewed Tirosint reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

Tirosint Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Tirosint

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2021

“In February I was switched from name brand Synthyroid to Tirosint 25 mcg. I also take Cytomel 5 mcg. Since then a month later I am fatigued, pain in joints especially in hands wrists, legs, ankles, and very irritable. I'm not sure if Tirosint is the cause, but nothing has really changed to make me feel like this. I'm guessing it has to be from Tirosint.”

Val · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 31, 2020

“I’ve been on Tirosint since June 2019 for mildly low thyroid. Now I know TSH under 10 thyroid disease. I recently realized my thyroid fluctuates. June 2020 I fell and broke my ankle , continued my thyroid medication not knowing, my ankle didn’t heal then I fell again in November 2020, broke it again I ended up with two fractures on the same ankle. Long story short I was over medicated although my TSH was normal on Tirosint? I’m still confused as to how this happens but I went off the medication and my ankle healed in 4 weeks. When since June it wouldn’t heal at all. Thyroid medication is serious medication. Thyroid disease can be managed with diet and even reversed especially if the TSH under 10. That’s what I’ve learned from taking Tirosint.”

Tach · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 8, 2020

“Tirosint dosing needs to be better understood. It is much stronger mcg by mcg than levothyroxin as traditionally prepared. I ended up in the emergency room with a pulse of 207 and a TSH of 0.007 after taking a 25 mcg lower dose of Tirosint than generic, 150 mcg Tirosint instead of 175 mcg Levothyroxin. Still way way way too much. I have taken hormone supplement for over 45 years and this has never happened before I took Tirosint. Be very careful. I changed back to generic after a $7,000 ER visit.”

Andrea · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2019

“I’ve been on Tirosint for 3 months now. The best I’ve felt in YEARS! I previously posted in October and I can only say if the other various thyroid medications are making you feel awful, YOU HAVE TO TRY TIROSINT! My energy level is fabulous, losing weight, no hair loss, coherent, etc and overall LIVING LIFE to the FULLEST.”

Nath · Taken for 10 years or more March 14, 2019

“A word of caution about levothyroxine - not all levothyroxine drugs are equal. I recently experienced a nasty episode with generic levothyroxine because the manufacturer changed the formula (replaced lactose with mannitol) which made me very sick for months (dizziness, nausea, over tiredness, chest pain and arrhythmia). It took a while to figure out since there was no communication of a "change" from the manufacturer. The switch to "Tirosint" was a life savior! Right away, the symptoms subsided. It is so important to check the excipients (=fillers). Tirosint has glycerin, water, levothyroxine, that's it! As an NTI drug (narrow therapeutic index), I would never risk the generic again. I was too sick and spend too much money with docs who couldn't find anything wrong with me! After doing research, I asked for just ask for the brand - I am so glad as it solved all of my "issues"!t"”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 26, 2019

“I was doing great on Tirosint until manufacturers changed to IBSA. I developed gastritis and arthritic neck pain, fatigue, and weakness. Felt like had the flu. This medication has cost me a lot of time and money. Please start checking for any manufacture changes to your thyroid medication.”

Mic · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 25, 2020

“For the people who have concerns with hair loss. I have heard that if you need and can tolerate taking zinc supplement it decreases hair loss and also helps convert the t4 to t3. As always consult your Dr”

isabelle · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 2, 2020

“I have been on every and I mean every thyroid medication known to my doctor. The Tirosint had worked the best because of my gluten and lactose issues. However, my insurance company refuses to pay for the medication and since my husband is retiring soon, I will have to go off my meds altogether. I simply cannot afford to pay. I also suffer from Lupus and other autoimmune diseases.”

Ash May 19, 2020

“I have been using Tirosint for over 8 months. I feel good and more energetic during my day. I can actually get more work done without having to take a mid day nap. However, I haven’t done blood work to see how the real effects are taking place within, but for the pass two months I starting experiencing terrible joint pains in my wrist, fingers and legs. So I’m starting to wonder base on some of the other comments if this med is cause these pains.”

Nath · Taken for 10 years or more March 1, 2019

“I was on generic levothyroxine for over 30 years at 112mcg per day. I felt ok but over the past couple of years, I had up and downs with it. Got really worse since January with dizziness, extreme tiredness and nausea....come to find out the manufacturers replaced the lactose ingredient by mannitol....our culprit. Did some research, mannitol is no longer allowed in France and Belgium because of its side effects. I asked my doc to switch me to Tirosint (pure form with no mannitol or dyes) and my symptoms have subsided! So far so good ... need to wait to 2 weeks to check my levels...I bet I may even have to lower my dose as I seem to absorb this one better ... I am thankful to the manufacturer of Tirosint as I feel so much better!”

paticia July 24, 2013

“Tirosint has been great for me. I have hypothyroidism and was starting to have recurring symptoms. Tirosint got rid of these symptoms. My recurring symptoms while on Levoxyl (but only after over ten years on it) were- puffy face, constipation, fatigue. When I took Tirosint the symptoms were gone. I am very happy with Tirosint. I have no side effects.”

Anonymous August 11, 2019

“I have to say I was excited to triosint but after roughly 8-9 weeks I started to notice tingling in my legs and left arm. I also noticed redness on my chest and vision issues. I wouldn’t have thought it was the medication but since I don’t take it one day out of the week usually every Sunday I would start to feel better by end of day once I started to take it again on Mondays my usual schedule usually by 4 hours later I started to get the tingling feeling again. My legs felt week and knees and joints were hurting. I do better on synthroid”

Hypothyroidism Victim March 19, 2016

“Personally I really like Tirosint better than any other Thyroid medication I've taken. I was on Armor for 3 months and started to lose my hair and my nails got very thin. Then I switched to Synthroid hoping that my hair would stop falling out. But it only got worse. After a month on Synthroid I lost at least half my hair. So I talked to my Doctor and we switched me to Tirosint and after 3 weeks of using it my hair has barely fallen out! I personally have had no harmful side effects with Tirosint and I am glad I switched. Yes it may be a little pricey a month but its totally worth not having my hair fall out!”

Andrea October 10, 2018

“I have Graves Disease & took RAI (radioactive iodine (I-31)) to treat the disease which means now I have to top up my thyroid levels. I’ve previously taken Levoxyl, Synthroid & lastly Armour. Always felt miserable with Levoxyl & Synthroid why the last three years I was taking Armour. Within the last year taking Armour I’ve had terrible inflammation/joint pain, anxiety, insomnia, hair loss, dry skin, weight gain and the list goes on. It was coincidental I forgot to take an Armour pill & realized how in one day all my symptoms went away. Next day I took my Armour and they all returned back. It was so bad I couldn’t even bend my knees. I was miserable! I’ve been reading about Tirosint the last few months and my endo was more than accommodating to let me try it. WOW!!! What a difference, I’m not as hungry, losing weight, no anxiety, sleeping through the night and overall just feeling great as I’ve never had thyroid issues. However, I did have some heart palpitation last night. I’m going to get my lab work done today, as I feel the dosage maybe too high.”

Jaisa · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2019

“Was on low dose for 2 weeks developed rash, sore throat thought it was a virus after 2 more weeks developed severe headache, neck pain and dizziness. Stopped med 5 days ago still having issues but severe headache less. Not sure how long before all out of system.”

crissy mouse · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2015

“i've tried EVERYTHING. armour did not work for me at all. neither did levoxyl. i know people who swear by armour. i've tried generics. the generic made by abbott lab worked really well (tbey also make synthroid). while i felt better on synthroid or abbott's generic, i did not feel NORMAL. much to my surprise, i feel normal on tirosint. i have energy i haven't had for more than 15 years.... i don't know whether my thyroid will stabilize with this -- but i feel the urge to exercise which i've never had on anything else. my brain is clear and my vision is improving. blood levels were always 'normal' on everything else. but that doesn't mean it was getting cell use.... too expensive, but i can't afford to keep feeling crappy or less than..”

Jial · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 2, 2015

“Devastating side effects - I have developed severely crippling joint pain in both knees, debilitating nerve pain in feet after 12 weeks of taking this drug for underactive thyroid. Also experiencing muscle spasms, tremors, depression, suicidal thoughts, restlessness, some chest pains and tingling all over body. If I could have given it a lower rating, I would have.”

Very Grateful March 30, 2015

“My disabled brother was previously prescribed generic levothyroxine and brand name, Synthroid. On both, he was basically in a continual state of lethargy to the point where he would fall asleep on the commode or at the dining table. Never heard of Tirosint until requesting help. This medicine has been incredible. No more lethargy and continuous sleeping during the day. Family members have commented that he is more alert, engaged and seems to be happy. They would be correct!”

hypotraycee April 5, 2012

“This is the best thyroid medicine I have taken. I took the generic for several years, I was constantly tired and miserable. Finally, I found Tirosint and I have been so much better. I have been on Tirosint for a year now and I am so glad to have it. I have not had any side effects.”

Jo jo · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 8, 2018

“For underactive thyroid I was first given synthroid. I had very bad side effects which included feeling very hyped up, terrible insomnia and anxiety out the roof. I felt crazy like I was on street drugs or something! Horrible experience that went on for many weeks. I finally was able to see an endo. Who right away put me on tirosint. Wow what a difference. No side effects. It took almost one year to get my levels right and my medication dose settled in but it was worth it. In the short term I felt much better after about a month. My doctor says the dyes and other fillers could have been causing my previous reaction. I am super sensitive to drugs and will not take over the counter meds or anything because of this. Tirosint is worth the extra cost if you are having problems like mine. They do offer a 35.00 coupon good for 18 months online if insurance wont pick up the cost.”

Vanna August 8, 2018

“Great medication for those who have absorption issues (Celiac, diary intolerances, etc) and no T3 conversion problems. On that note, you will find that a specific dose of Tirosint will feel much higher than that same dose in regular Levothyroxine, for example. As a gel cap with no fillers, more medication is able to absorb into your system. Start with a much lower dose than you think you need and work your way up. Over the past 10 years I've tried Armour Thyroid, NP Thyroid, NatureThroid, Levothyroxine, & Synthroid. With all the other medications, I always felt like I was constantly increasing my dose. At one point, I was on 200mcg of levothyroxine. I'm now taking 25mcg of Tirosint 5-6 days a week. My levels have never been as "steady" as they are with Tirosint, and it's nice to know I only need a small dose of it as opposed to depending on such a large dose on a daily basis. The only downside is the price, but it makes a world of difference.”

A.A · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 1, 2020

“I have had underactive thyroid for 8 years. I could not handle synthroid and was always going off. I like tirosint at first I am only on small dosage 13, but my hair was falling so bad so I started taking 2 pills during corona because of no dr. It stopped hair breakage but if I take it too much I get headaches and have trouble sleeping but now if I take 13 only I get bad depression and my hair falls out again. Overall I like meds I am diagnosed with hashimotos and this is just my life my own thyroid not being regulated. I have bad headache today so I can't take 2 tomorrow so I guess I can prep for severe depression. oy ve!”

ExerciseSweetie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2018

“Tirosint saved my life after many years of Synthroid making me gain weight for no reason and failing to keep my levels stable, despite dosage increases. Every doctor I went to brushed off my concerns until finally one mentioned Tirosint. I am finally able to lose weight instead of gain and my thyroid levels have never been better.”

atrast · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 21, 2013

“I was on Tirosint for over 6 months and during that time I've had fluctuating blood pressure, sore neck and throat, sleepless nights, nervousness, and generally not feeling well. While it may work for some, it didn't work for me. I am now on the natural hormone Armour thyroid and I hope to stay on it. ”

Smiling Heidi February 20, 2015

“The only problem with Tirosint capsules is the out of pocket price... We are low fixed income due to my hubby being an Elderly Disabled Vet and I must be home taking care of him so nearly $44/mo comes out of the grocery $; Yet I prefer Tirosint capsules over any other thyroid meds I have had because I have not had any negative reaction to it like I have all the others I have tried; Levothyroxine tablets I get big migraines. With Armour allergic reaction that makes me into a zombie. ”

Patty 857 June 23, 2016

“I have had trouble with my hypothyroidism for 40 years. The last 4 years it has been out of control.. can't keep my levels good. Fall asleep at the drop of a pin. Tired all the time. Doc put me on tirosint. At first I felt like a million bucks!! Then the panic attacks started, bad horrible cramps in my legs and feet. But the worst was feeling like I was in a constant state of DIVERTICULITIS!! I was eating pain meds and on antibiotics for weeks! Then I stopped taking it. it went away.. it has only been a couple of days... but my belly is feeling better, but my aneixty is still running at a 9.. along with the irritability.”

hbrady21 June 10, 2016

“I was on the edge of hypothyroidism but not fully diagnosed cause my TSH wasn't considered high enough to be classified but had most of the symptoms so I was given the low dose of a thyroid medication I was so sick, I ended up in the ER with a horrible migraine and throwing up for 14 hrs. My dr. switched me to Tirosint same dose as before and I have no side effects. I am finally feeling human I am not so tired, I am more alert and focused, my TSH level has gone to a much better level.”

cherfly737 October 10, 2011

“I was on Armore compound 90 mg for last 2 years but started on the new Armore formula and had trouble with too much T3 and went to hyperthyroid. My endocrinologist changed me to Tirosint and it is a gel cap form, which is easy on the system. They are individual packaged, don't know why. After a few weeks I had a flare of hives and itching and some hair loss, but now I seem to be doing great! I will be excited to test my blood work to see the levels in a few weeks. I am hoping it will help with my fertility. ”