User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Synthroid, Levoxyl, Tirosint, Euthyrox, Eltroxin, Unithroid, Tirosint-Sol, Novothyrox Levo-T Eutroxsig Evotrox

Myxedema Coma 9.0
Thyroid Suppression Test 1.0
Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 6.1 575 reviews

Reviews for Levothyroxine

Beth · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 11, 2020

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: “I have been on Tirosint for 5 year and have done fairly well on it. This past April 2020 I noticed the distributor of the drug changed but thought nothing of it. I then developed a pain in my left shoulder and also began to have an incredibly itchy rash located on my front shins. My Endo suggested it looked like an allergic reaction. We increased my dose to a higher one over five days and when I started the higher dose the rash got better but then returned. I have now switched to Synthroid and the rash has gone completely. I suspect the casing of the drug has changed with the new distributor, which doesn't make much sense. I think something has happened to the drug that they aren't telling us.”

A.A · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 1, 2020

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: “I have had underactive thyroid for 8 years. I could not handle synthroid and was always going off. I like tirosint at first I am only on small dosage 13, but my hair was falling so bad so I started taking 2 pills during corona because of no dr. It stopped hair breakage but if I take it too much I get headaches and have trouble sleeping but now if I take 13 only I get bad depression and my hair falls out again. Overall I like meds I am diagnosed with hashimotos and this is just my life my own thyroid not being regulated. I have bad headache today so I can't take 2 tomorrow so I guess I can prep for severe depression. oy ve!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: “I am not the patient but have power of attorney for her. She's my mother in law and I've been caring for her medical needs for more than 15 years. She has Alzheimers disease and is now in memory care. I've been unable to visit her since the Covid started. We can talk through the mobile phone and see her through a window. She is so frail now. Losing weight. Won't eat much. Sleeps almost continually. Begs to see her family. Was changed from Levothyroxine about 3 months ago to Tirosint. Going downhill continually. 95 years old and getting good care in her memory facility (we are lucky). But this drug seems to be making her worse. Get used to it. This is what Socialized Medicine looks like.”

ST1165 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: “Started taking Euthyrox over the past few months after being switched from a previous generic. Heard that this brand of levothyroxine is priced as a generic which saved me money. Currently finding more stable TSH levels and appreciate the compliance packaging.”

Ash May 19, 2020

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: “I have been using Tirosint for over 8 months. I feel good and more energetic during my day. I can actually get more work done without having to take a mid day nap. However, I haven’t done blood work to see how the real effects are taking place within, but for the pass two months I starting experiencing terrible joint pains in my wrist, fingers and legs. So I’m starting to wonder base on some of the other comments if this med is cause these pains.”

bbaker · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2020

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: “I have been on several thyroid medications for 8 plus years. I was always tired fatigue, hair loss extreme weight gain. I started Tirosint and instantly I started feeling better.”

SPARKLE · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 16, 2020

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “Total-Thyroid ectomy following Graves substernal goiter 8 mo ago. On 175mg Levothyroxin. Felt good but as the months go by, a host of symptoms: intense moods/anger, depression, spinning thoughts; hair loss, brittle no curl dry; diminished eyesight, dry irritated; bone pain; hot poker nerve pain feet; muscle cramps; tendon disturbances; Charlie horses legs rib cage!! ; hot cold flashes; itchy skin; swollen itchy neck; diarrhea; joint pain swelling; and now shoulder blade hot poker pains. Insurance forced LevoT first....I want to switch. Would love to have recommendations. I'm 70 but have always felt pretty good until now. Supplements of calcium, D3 have helped some. Also taking zinc, magnesium and potassium - helping? hurting?”

Annie M. · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 13, 2020

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “This medication did not help my hypothyroidism after total thyroidectomy. My blood levels were always out of whack. I felt tired, I gained weight, and generally felt terrible every day.”

Anonymous March 17, 2020

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: “Synthroid is terrible it fave me an exacerbation of mental health symptoms! Nervous, restless, anxiety, fatigue, constant dark thoughts and depression. My TSH dropped from .50 to .02 and still no symptoms of hyper just the same symptoms of hypo. Weight gain, tired, depression. I thought I was losing my mind! Trying to adjust psyche meds thinking that was the issue didn't work cuz it was the levo causing the problem. It's difficult to separate symptoms of mental health problems from thyroid problems because they can be similar. Got a referral from PCP to see an Endocrinologist. They switched me to Armour. Significant improvement. Levothyroxine stinks! I'd rather take no thyroid medication and suffer the consequences than take Levothyroxine. ”

Jaclyn · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I took my first dose of Tirosint in the morning and within a half hour my ears started ringing and I got a bad headache. By the time it was bedtime I felt so nervous and shaky that I never fell asleep. It was an awful experience. The next day I went back to my Synthroid.”

Salesrep February 18, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “Jerome Stephens was supplying Lannett, but they now supply Amneal with identical product. Cediprof was supplying Sandoz but now they signed an agreement with Lannett. Check manufacturer when picking up your medication.”

Redhead · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2020

Unithroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I started on levothyroxine after my thyroidectomy due to cancer after about 7 months I decided to switch to brand name and my doctor picked this. While my body adjusted to the new stuff I felt awful. I had a couple days I felt really good and then boom it all went down hill. My period was four days early and horrible. I also became extremely anxious and depressed. This med is not right for me and I am hopeful to get to switch and try something new. If I have to be on it for life, better make sure it suits my body.”

Bill280 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 14, 2020

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “Ever since my thyroid was removed, I feel like rubbish. Yes, the goitre found next to it had cancer. Anyway, no energy, fatigue, achy, almost like angina like symptoms, insomnia, weight gain.”

No to levothyroxine · Taken for less than 1 month February 14, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “I have only been taking this drug for seven days after being diagnosed with hypothyroidism. This drug is awful. I honestly would not suggest it to anyone. I feel like I'm pregnant and have menopause at the same time! I'm having hot flashes, sleeping terribly, my emotions are way out of control (got really upset and in tears over something that normally wouldn't make me react that way). I feel bloated, my joints hurt worse than they did before this med, my heart is racing and I've had muscle spasms in my back and chest and legs. I've also gotten severely nauseated for multiple hours every single time I've taken it. It was so bad yesterday that I had to run to the bathroom because I thought I was going to throw up. I also feel very tired, more depressed than usual, and I have intense anxiety that is making me paranoid. Never again will I take this drug! Don't put yourself through it. It's not worth it.”

NancyPants · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 11, 2020

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: “Started this at the new year. My hair is falling out like crazzzzzy. It's been very distressing to see. It says it can cause hair loss but in time will correct itself. I really hope it stops soon! My numbers look good (or at least that is what my doctor thinks)”

jrb · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2020

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: “I had a partial thyroidectomy in 2007. I've been on generic Levo 88mcg for about 10 years now. Maybe it would be different had I been started on Synthroid from the get go but I've tried Synthroid two times, once at 75mcg and this week at 88mcg and the results were the same. Within three days I had muscle weakness, muscle spasms, more pain in neck and extreme fatigue. Regulation mandates 95-105 % of the active ingredient be present. I've taken Unithroid 88mcg and I never had the extreme symptoms like with Synthroid. I steer clear of this med because I can't afford to miss another week of pay fiddling around with it. Generic and Unithroid aren't perfect but at least I can function.”

isabelle · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 2, 2020

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: “I have been on every and I mean every thyroid medication known to my doctor. The Tirosint had worked the best because of my gluten and lactose issues. However, my insurance company refuses to pay for the medication and since my husband is retiring soon, I will have to go off my meds altogether. I simply cannot afford to pay. I also suffer from Lupus and other autoimmune diseases.”

Ang · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 29, 2020

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I had a total Thyroidectomy June 2018 after being diagnosed with cancer. I was put on Levothyroxine. Ever since I have felt absolutely horrible. Feel the worst possible. Anxiety, tremors, mental confusion, shakey legs, hyperventilating, chest pain . Hand cramps. Feeling like I'm going to pass out. Can't drive without feeling disoriented. Several trips to the ER, MRI'S, CT'S, dozens of trips to the doctor. Chalked it up just not having a thyroid until I read others had same symptoms. My levels keep coming back too high. Keep lowering every six weeks. I feel like I'm poisoned. I have asked my doctor to switch to Synthroid from levothyroxine. If that doesn't work, we'll try something else. We will see how it works. Just want to feel normal again. Please....”

Steph17 January 27, 2020

Levoxyl (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: “I have been on this medication for 22 years. It took about 2 years of taking medication for me to feel normal in the beginning. My hair and skin are great and I have good cognition and energy levels. I have a busy job and I feel great and energetic. I have always maintained a normal weight and look young for my age. The only side effect I have found is I feel the cold. If you don’t mind putting the heating on I can definitely recommend.”

Jc · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 24, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “I have hypothyroid but still have my thyroid. So Levo. works wells for me. Lowers my TSH and even aided in weight loss. I always have better bowel movements when taking this medication. It stopped my hair from stripping out. BUT, at first it did cause my heart to race when I was bumped up to 0.75 and it does cause fatigue. I would get really sweaty when I started taking the 0.75. I see now why they don't want you taking this if you've been experiencing heart attack symptoms because boy did this make me feel like I was having one. Only issues I had with taking 0.50 was the fatigue, but my TSH was steady going down. The side effects have subsided. Guess I just needed to stick it out. I feel better on Levothyroxine than without it. It works. Prayers for healing for us all <3”

Laughinglion13 · Taken for 10 years or more January 15, 2020

For Hashimoto's disease: “Levothyroxine doesn't work with my body. It is like an independent contractor on prevailing wage. Unfortunately, healthwise, I am female, a retired, disabled vet in the VA. Women are 20 % of the armed forces. This is the only Hypothyroid drug VA prescribes in all VA sources. Exceptions for medications to treat hypothyroidism are made when and where the VA treats politicians, their spouses, or their wives. Allowances are made for the politically important. The "doctor" can get this for "their" special patients by submission of a single source requisition, and special funding. The taxpayer gives a full healthcare ride, if requested, to the people that determine who lives and who doesn't. Males, like us females, who are hypothyroid, are treated in the same way. We could all benefit, with all medicines being available by congressional preset prices and the proper dd 214. Do I deserve a choice? Do I have to be sick?I Judy”

BellBottomBlues · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine) for TSH Suppression: “I have been on levo since 2007 for TSH suppression after total thyroidectomy, my pharmacy switched to this type of levo replacement & it is an awful prescription. Within 3 days my chest had such tightness I was ER bound”

Doesn’t matter · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 3, 2020

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: “This stuff is just awful ! I’ve had my TSH go as high as 52.0 (wasn’t aware is was that out of control) and felt better than, than I do now on years of treatment on brand name synthroid! Endocrinologist just doesn’t seem to agree ? And now I have a whole new set of symptoms such as itchiness all over, horrible anxiety, headaches, weight gain, the list goes on and on, and nothing new has been added to my daily routine, I know it’s this medication, I hate it. Just throwing this out there for anyone else that so that you know your not crazy ! Good luck !”

Maynerd · Taken for 10 years or more January 1, 2020

For Underactive Thyroid: “I developed a hyperactive thyroid some 40 years ago and it was corrected with radioactive iodine. I have been on these type of meds for 40 years with no side effects.”

kingkrab · Taken for 10 years or more December 28, 2019

Unithroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: “When the medication was made by Johnson-Stevens, it worked very well. I’ve been on it for over 10 years. The past couple years, something changed and it stopped working. After taking it in the morning, I had a metallic taste in my mouth and made me very tired. I will report these side effects to the FDA. Had to switch to another brand made in Austria, but works very well.”