User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Thyroid Suppression Test
4.2

Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 6.5 487 reviews

Reviews for Levothyroxine

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "A word of caution about levothyroxine - not all levothyroxine drugs are equal. I recently experienced a nasty episode with generic levothyroxine because the manufacturer changed the formula (replaced lactose with mannitol) which made me very sick for months (dizziness, nausea, over tiredness, chest pain and arrhythmia). It took a while to figure out since there was no communication of a "change" from the manufacturer. The switch to "Tirosint" was a life savior! Right away, the symptoms subsided. It is so important to check the excipients (=fillers). Tirosint has glycerin, water, levothyroxine, that's it! As an NTI drug (narrow therapeutic index), I would never risk the generic again. I was too sick and spend too much money with docs who couldn't find anything wrong with me! After doing research, I asked for just ask for the brand - I am so glad as it solved all of my "issues"!t""

Nath (taken for 10 years or more) March 14, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Tirosint works fine and are gluten free which is important if you have Celiac Disease. However! The price of this drug went from $50. per month to $145. per month. Greed is ugly."

Jeannie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 12, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: " If you have been taking generic levothyroxine and have been experiencing extreme tiredness, chest pain, dizziness, nausea, headaches: find out if the formula contains mannitol (or other) and report it to the FDA. go to the FDA website Mannitol is not allowed in levothyroxine in France and Belgium because of its many sides effects!"

Nath (taken for 10 years or more) March 4, 2019

For Hashimoto's disease: "I feel that there is a slight improvement but it’s modest. My hair falls out bad with this med. I take 100mcg daily. It makes me agitated sometimes and I break out in hot sweats. Sometimes it feels difficult to take it. Heat intolerance during summer. I still feel sluggish. It’s not that great of a medication and I can’t wait to try amour."

Hashiwoman (taken for 10 years or more) March 2, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on generic levothyroxine for over 30 years at 112mcg per day. I felt ok but over the past couple of years, I had up and downs with it. Got really worse since January with dizziness, extreme tiredness and nausea....come to find out the manufacturers replaced the lactose ingredient by mannitol....our culprit. Did some research, mannitol is no longer allowed in France and Belgium because of its side effects. I asked my doc to switch me to Tirosint (pure form with no mannitol or dyes) and my symptoms have subsided! So far so good ... need to wait to 2 weeks to check my levels...I bet I may even have to lower my dose as I seem to absorb this one better ... I am thankful to the manufacturer of Tirosint as I feel so much better!"

Nath (taken for 10 years or more) March 1, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's a year ago and have had an underactive thyroid. I have spent years feeling very tired, irritable, depressed, no energy, no strength, no endurance, in a brain fog, crazy periods, joint pain, list goes on....overall not well. I was considered subclinical with TSH of 7 and my endocrinologist prescribed me 13mcg of Tirosint, the lowest dose. She said if it helps, great, but if not, I can stop taking it and try wait and see approach. I felt better the first day after taking the medication. I had a little more energy and was able to concentrate more than usual. I started a journal and each day I was noticing how much better I was feeling. Now it has been 4 weeks and I feel better than I have in years."

Frank (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on Levothyroxine for 30 years and never had issues until recently. I am having dizziness, nausea, I am exhausted all the time and have all kinds of "hypothyroidism" symptoms while all along, my levels are fine. After doing some research, I find out that the makers have replaced one of the components (lactose) by "mannitol" and "citric acid" to prolong its shelf life....look up side effects of Mannitol: dizziness, hair loss, nausea, tiredness...and here is our culprit: Mannitol! In France, Merck had taken over the production of Levothyroxine and had changed its formula to Mannitol: thousands of patients started getting sick....the government got involved due to number of complaints of the side effects....makers were asked to revert to the original formula with lactose, but then came out with Tirosint instead which contains gelatin and glycerin instead of Mannitol."

Nath February 25, 2019

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on Synthroid for 10 years. I was in so much pain in my joints, I couldn't function. This is a known side effect of this medicine. My numbers were where they were supposed to be per the doctors, but I still felt tired and my hair was still falling out. After my husband and I did research, we worked with my doctor and switched to Armour Thyroid. Within 6 weeks my pain was gone, I felt better. I wasn't tired and my hair was falling out. No matter what medicine you use - you know how you should feel. Do the research and work with your doctor. Only you know how you should feel. Don't depend on the doctor to tell you."

Wonttakesynthroid (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2019

For TSH Suppression: "Guess my rating of this synthetic absurdity of anything to do with the thyroid or lack thereof speaks for itself. Can't take natural, forced to take this ..stuff. Hands down a waste of what they TELL you its doing when you know it is not. Hey Doc..I know myself and my body far better than you. Thats the problem, push what doesn't work and then tell me what does work, doesn't. Seeking the natural BECAUSE it DOES work."

Foreverinbluejeans (taken for 10 years or more) February 7, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "Totally agree with Babs. My prescription price doubled, and now I cannot afford the medication. Not sure what happened starting in 2019 other than the company doubling the price and insurance companies refusing to cover the difference. My insurer dropped it from their covered prescriptions totally. Such a shame. This will really mess with those that depend on this medication."

Ash (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 7, 2019

Levoxyl (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "Taking Levoxyl for about 6 months, and unfortunately not working for me. The stomach pain is unbearable at times and unpredictable. Hair loss, spasms, vivid dreams, headaches, that horrid brain fog. (Hashimoto causes hair loss, including the medication. Make sure your iron levels are optimal.) These are just a few of a long list of side effects. Took synthroid for about 2 years and it worked to some degree, but hair loss was a nightmare and the lactose coating was a no for me-continuous digestive issues. Digestive issues with Levoxyl is enough to get me seek other treatment."

Me February 4, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "The synthroid 75 stopped working after 11 years. I went back to unothroid as my PPO plan said I had to document response. It was awful trying to get out of bed, paying attention to my tasks, remembering where I filed or put stuff. I felt like my self was in another universe. The PPO Plan approved Tirosint and gradually the cloud lifted. I've been on the same dose for over a year and I've done well although there are times that I think I could do better based on the medication level. My problem is that in 2019 the price went for from $515 for a three month supply to $1,423 for a three month supply. So I guess I have to go back to higher levels of unithroid. So freaking sad."

Babs (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 23, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: "11 days ago I was prescribed 25mg of levothyroxine and it was bad from the start. I took it for 2 days straight. I got super hyper. The third day I thought I was dying. Tremors, hyperactivity, confusion and others I forgot. I actually got my last will and testament out and put it on the table. I called my internist that night and he told me to just take some sedative and go to sleep and take it every other day to further cut the dosage down. That helped a lot but I get anxiety and panic attacks along with insomnia. It also increased my blood pressure about 30-40 points along with increased heart rate. I always had low blood pressure (in the 100s) and blame it on the drug. I had no hypertension before taking this drug but the doctor does not believe me. The doctor just wants to put me on high blood pills to counter the side effect of levothyroxine. This drug is disgusting."

Ralph (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2019

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "To be honest I'm not a person who has ever taken medications. So when my physician told me I had a under active thyroid I didn't really know what to think because I didn't feel as though I had any of the common symptoms. I just thought the symptoms the doctor mentioned were just normal ageing since I am 55 years old. I have been taking this medication now for a little over 4 months and have started to see some noticeable changes. 1) my hair stopped falling out. 2) nails started growing faster and stronger. 3) All around much more energy. 4) Able to focus better. So far I have been very happy with the results. I cannot give this a total 10 because everything has room for improvement."

Retazlaw (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2019

For Thyroid Suppression Test: "I started this for a thyroid condition. Once I started it about 3 days later I was having all my joints being sore so that I move. I stopped it and a few days later my joints were ok again???"

Jack January 18, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I’ve been on Tirosint for 3 months now. The best I’ve felt in YEARS! I previously posted in October and I can only say if the other various thyroid medications are making you feel awful, YOU HAVE TO TRY TIROSINT! My energy level is fabulous, losing weight, no hair loss, coherent, etc and overall LIVING LIFE to the FULLEST."

Andrea (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2019

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Not an easy drug to take. Lots of side effects that interfere with the day"

A (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have stopped this drug after 2 years due to weight gain, increased blood sugar level (never had this problem before) and leg cramps. I don't think doctors do the full range of tests and just keep increasing the Levothyroxine and I felt worse not better. So I am going to try Kelp and Vit D supplements. Currently waiting for Blood results for Vitamin and Mineral deficiencies. I think Natural supplements rather than drugs will be better for me but will keep you updated."

Hattie December 27, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was on naturethroid but I had trouble taking the two doses every day so it was not working for me. Tirosint is only one dose per day (I take 200 mcg). I am 35 year old female and have a 5-year old. Before tirosint my energy levels were always low, I felt like a walking zombie. Naturethroid worked ok but no big improvements. On Tirosint, I can get through the day without feeling like I will crash when I get home. I struggled after giving birth, my libido went down the drain. Tirosint has done wonders for my sexual health in the short 3 weeks I’ve been on it. I also have absorption problems and tirosint is best for people who have lactose intolerance and absorption issues. I love Tirosint. It’s a blessing, truly. I am 5 feet and 177 lbs (obese because of thyroid). Tirosint has also helped me eat less. I only lost one lb so far but honestly the weight loss is secondary, the fact that I don’t feel dead AND my libido is back, is more than enough three weeks into it."

Toast_and_Brie December 6, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "My doctor recently changed my T4 medication from Synthroid to Tirosint. Even though we lowered the dose to 100 mcg, from 110, I feel like it is still high. I am going to try taking it every other day to see how that works & do a blood test in a couple of weeks. Anyone with the same experience?"

Fara December 4, 2018

Eltroxin (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Its not good, makes me sick and give cholesterol. I like the old eltroxin. Bring it back."

Angel (taken for 10 years or more) October 24, 2018

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "This drug does me no good, swells up my face, body, fatigue, no energy, brain fog, more depressed, insomnia, appetite increase, more migraines, dry swollen irritated eyes, sinusitis ,blurry vision, anxiety, overnight weight gain, heat intolerance, sweating more, hair falling, heart palpitations, muscle spasms in neck, shoulders, back, legs, acne, just miserable. I've told Drs. I can't take this medicine, it does nothing for me, but they don't listen for over 50 years. I've had a total thyroidectomy, thyroplasty and as a result of surgical negligence, permanent paralyzed left vocal cord, compromised voice box, permanent laryngeal spasms. So miserable"

Nisatehya13 (taken for 10 years or more) October 10, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have Graves Disease & took RAI (radioactive iodine (I-31)) to treat the disease which means now I have to top up my thyroid levels. I’ve previously taken Levoxyl, Synthroid & lastly Armour. Always felt miserable with Levoxyl & Synthroid why the last three years I was taking Armour. Within the last year taking Armour I’ve had terrible inflammation/joint pain, anxiety, insomnia, hair loss, dry skin, weight gain and the list goes on. It was coincidental I forgot to take an Armour pill & realized how in one day all my symptoms went away. Next day I took my Armour and they all returned back. It was so bad I couldn’t even bend my knees. I was miserable! I’ve been reading about Tirosint the last few months and my endo was more than accommodating to let me try it. WOW!!! What a difference, I’m not as hungry, losing weight, no anxiety, sleeping through the night and overall just feeling great as I’ve never had thyroid issues. However, I did have some heart palpitation last night. I’m going to get my lab work done today, as I feel the dosage maybe too high."

Andrea October 10, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I've been taking generic (levothyroxine) for 2.5 years. I took for a little while about 4 years but I didn't keep up with my health as I should have. My TSH was 58.8 and I started on 50 mcg. After seeing my GP and now an Endocrinologist, I am now up to 150 mcg and the last TSH was .99 I have had no side effects from either Synthroid or the generic. The medicine does what it's supposed to do. My hair grew back, the fog lifted, got my energy back, severe muscle pain went away, joints no longer hurt and my cholesterol went down from 280 to 200. I take it in the morning but don't follow any rules. The endo just said to take it. I usually take it with my Vitamin D, prescription pepcid, and Vitamin C. I take it with coffee or milk. The endo said it really didn't matter, just take it because not taking it is not an option."

MissBailey (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 1, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I've tried several different thyroid meds for hashimotos and this is the worst I've felt by far! I couldn't go to the bathroom couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, felt a lump in my throat, gained weight, was freezing cold and ended up in the ER because of my stomach pains. I switched back to Armour Thyroid but now need to see a gastroenterologist because my stomach is still suffering because of that dreaded Tirosint!!!!!"

Mimi (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2018