User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, Tirosint-Sol, Unithroid …show all brand names

Myxedema Coma

Thyroid Suppression Test
4.2

Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 6.6 466 reviews

Reviews for Levothyroxine

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "This drug does me no good, swells up my face, body, fatigue, no energy, brain fog, more depressed, insomnia, appetite increase, more migraines, dry swollen irritated eyes, sinusitis ,blurry vision, anxiety, overnight weight gain, heat intolerance, sweating more, hair falling, heart palpitations, muscle spasms in neck, shoulders, back, legs, acne, just miserable. I've told Drs. I can't take this medicine, it does nothing for me, but they don't listen for over 50 years. I've had a total thyroidectomy, thyroplasty and as a result of surgical negligence, permanent paralyzed left vocal cord, compromised voice box, permanent laryngeal spasms. So miserable"

Nisatehya13 (taken for 10 years or more) October 10, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have Graves Disease & took RAI (radioactive iodine (I-31)) to treat the disease which means now I have to top up my thyroid levels. I’ve previously taken Levoxyl, Synthroid & lastly Armour. Always felt miserable with Levoxyl & Synthroid why the last three years I was taking Armour. Within the last year taking Armour I’ve had terrible inflammation/joint pain, anxiety, insomnia, hair loss, dry skin, weight gain and the list goes on. It was coincidental I forgot to take an Armour pill & realized how in one day all my symptoms went away. Next day I took my Armour and they all returned back. It was so bad I couldn’t even bend my knees. I was miserable! I’ve been reading about Tirosint the last few months and my endo was more than accommodating to let me try it. WOW!!! What a difference, I’m not as hungry, losing weight, no anxiety, sleeping through the night and overall just feeling great as I’ve never had thyroid issues. However, I did have some heart palpitation last night. I’m going to get my lab work done today, as I feel the dosage maybe too high."

Andrea October 10, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I've been taking generic (levothyroxine) for 2.5 years. I took for a little while about 4 years but I didn't keep up with my health as I should have. My TSH was 58.8 and I started on 50 mcg. After seeing my GP and now an Endocrinologist, I am now up to 150 mcg and the last TSH was .99 I have had no side effects from either Synthroid or the generic. The medicine does what it's supposed to do. My hair grew back, the fog lifted, got my energy back, severe muscle pain went away, joints no longer hurt and my cholesterol went down from 280 to 200. I take it in the morning but don't follow any rules. The endo just said to take it. I usually take it with my Vitamin D, prescription pepcid, and Vitamin C. I take it with coffee or milk. The endo said it really didn't matter, just take it because not taking it is not an option."

MissBailey (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 1, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I've tried several different thyroid meds for hashimotos and this is the worst I've felt by far! I couldn't go to the bathroom couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, felt a lump in my throat, gained weight, was freezing cold and ended up in the ER because of my stomach pains. I switched back to Armour Thyroid but now need to see a gastroenterologist because my stomach is still suffering because of that dreaded Tirosint!!!!!"

Mimi (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2018

Unithroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on generic Levothyroxine for just about under a year or so. At first it was ok. Then when I recently went to get my refill the pills had a very strong odor. It's hard to describe. Like a strange mix between a chemical smell and dirty feet. Makes you want to gag when taking them. I learned about Unithroid from a family member and asked my doctor to change me to Unithroid. It is really reasonable ($) like the generic but Unithroid has no nasty smell. I also just found out that it is made in the USA so that's cool. I am happy about switching over."

otaku-guy (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on Synthroid for 12 years and I have had no side effects. I only have good things to say about this drug. However, when you start blood tests are essential to determine the right dosage. You must take on an empty stomach and no food for about an hour. Also, you need to keep the Synthroid level constant in your blood system. If you skip a day or two It is like you have to start over to get back to the dosage you were prescribed. This drug works. Use it as your Dr. tells you to and have blood tests on a regular basis."

Art (taken for 10 years or more) August 21, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "I am 78 years old and I have taken thyroxine since I was 35 and have been reduced regularly as the test results change. I was on 0.75 for the 20 years. I am now in my 79th year. recently I was changed to 1/2 of a 0.25 and 1 tab of a 0.05. Is this an increase or decrease of a dose. I have been feeling very sickly for at least 4 years. I am tired, gaining weight, brittle hair, cold feet and hands constantly."

Trisha (taken for 10 years or more) August 17, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "It was discover that I had a nodule/goiter on one my thyroids and the other wasn't functioning at all. After all the tests, I was put on Levothyroxine generic. I had all the symptoms named in all the other comments. But to come to find out, I couldn't take the generic. I was switched to synthroid and have been on it for over 30 years. I had to get it adjusted correctly, over the years, finally got it settled. All the symptoms gradually went away and I have been doing great since. This one has done the job for me. The only thing I have to say is that once on this medication, the weight maintenance has been constant with good diet and exercise. I have always separated vitamins and thyroid med, vitamins in the morning and meds at night. It has worked so far and feeling great. I will continue on this medication. To all, do not give up. There is something that will work with your body and it will be like a miracle. This was my miracle."

Thyroid Girl August 10, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "Pre- levo, my weight increased from 115 to 135 in 3 years (despite no change in eating/exercise), I was constantly fatigued, and developed horrible menstrual cycles. I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism, and I was prescribed 50mcg levothyroxine. I am just finishing my third month on the medication. The first month was bad- I felt even more fatigued, and was very constipated, but I stuck through it because my first period on the medication was light and asymptomatic, back to a normal 4 week cycle. These second two months were great. I have so much more energy! Also, I have lost 12 lbs since I started the medication 3 mos ago, despite not changing anything about my eating habits and exercise regimen. The only reason I am not giving the medication a higher rating is because my menstrual cycle has been off. However, I am optimistic that the my body is just getting used to the medication and my menstrual cycle will stabilize as time goes on."

CaroL August 9, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Great medication for those who have absorption issues (Celiac, diary intolerances, etc) and no T3 conversion problems. On that note, you will find that a specific dose of Tirosint will feel much higher than that same dose in regular Levothyroxine, for example. As a gel cap with no fillers, more medication is able to absorb into your system. Start with a much lower dose than you think you need and work your way up. Over the past 10 years I've tried Armour Thyroid, NP Thyroid, NatureThroid, Levothyroxine, & Synthroid. With all the other medications, I always felt like I was constantly increasing my dose. At one point, I was on 200mcg of levothyroxine. I'm now taking 25mcg of Tirosint 5-6 days a week. My levels have never been as "steady" as they are with Tirosint, and it's nice to know I only need a small dose of it as opposed to depending on such a large dose on a daily basis. The only downside is the price, but it makes a world of difference."

Vanna August 8, 2018

For TSH Suppression: "Does anyone tried to figure out who is a manufacturer for levo ? Merck (Germany) and Sandoz(US) are ones that I know. The levo from Sandoz caused me a terrible heart beat (they make drugs in Canada and India). Trying the Merck option (but it is too early to tell). The quality of a generic is very much depends on a manufacturer. Synthroid worked well for me, but it is expensive."

OM (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Had started on synthroid after thyroidectomy. Felt terrible for 2 years. Went on WP thyroid & was doing fairly well on that for 2 years until the shortage. Started out on 112 dose. This was too high, but so far I'm feeling good on 100 dose. Better than when I was on any of the 3 desiccated thyroid meds I had tried. (WP, NP, Naturethroid). So glad they make this! My only comment is 28 pills in a refill. I get mine every 90 days, so I'm shorted. It's not logical."

Jewel (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Originally my doctor put me on Levothyroxine when I first had symptoms of hypothyroidism. I continue to have the symptoms and ended up putting on a total of 43 lb! I then asked to see an endocrinologist and Bug them to put me on nature thyroid.. do to my persistence they put me on 82. 75 MCG of naturethroid. After 3 weeks of it in my system, I began to have energy again, stomach aches went away, slept better and was able to work out daily again! My new endocrinologist insisted that Synthroid was better then nature thyroid... So I will switch to Synthroid.. stomach aches and fatigue came back.. Synthroid and Levothyroxine don't help."

LoveNatural (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 12, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "Started taking Tirosint (50 mg) when I was diagnosed with Hashimotos and had a TPO pf 1200 and a TSH of 6.8. It has been a year and my TSH bounces between 1.03-2. I feel just fine and there have been no side effects, though it would have been cool to drop a couple pounds! Was using Willow Pharmacy but I understand they have been purchased by Highland. I hope they honor the coupon!"

janey July 11, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "For underactive thyroid I was first given synthroid. I had very bad side effects which included feeling very hyped up, terrible insomnia and anxiety out the roof. I felt crazy like I was on street drugs or something! Horrible experience that went on for many weeks. I finally was able to see an endo. Who right away put me on tirosint. Wow what a difference. No side effects. It took almost one year to get my levels right and my medication dose settled in but it was worth it. In the short term I felt much better after about a month. My doctor says the dyes and other fillers could have been causing my previous reaction. I am super sensitive to drugs and will not take over the counter meds or anything because of this. Tirosint is worth the extra cost if you are having problems like mine. They do offer a 35.00 coupon good for 18 months online if insurance wont pick up the cost."

Jo jo (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I've been on Tirosint for over 6 years now. I tried Synthroid and even Armour. Nothing worked until Tirosint. I started with 25 mcg and went up to 50mcg and have been on 50 mcg like forever. My levels went from 14 to 8 then to 6 then to 4. Then I went back up to 8 and my doctor increased me to 75 mcg. Well, I thought I was going to die. The headaches, the fatigue, seeing spots, feeling dizzy, stomach discomfort etc. Then some kind of lump developed on the right side of my neck. Like some kind of alien moving along my neck line & as it was happening I called for my husband and said what is that thing!!!!... So, I just put myself back on the 50 mg and within 2 weeks felt better but, not totally better. I think by increasing my med to 75 mcg was not a good plan by my doctor. I always say if it isn't broke don't fix it!!!...."

Lyd (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 3, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "I'v been taking levothyroxine for four months and it has helped, albeit with some negative side effects. However, the side effects last for no longer than four hours after ingestion, while the tremors I was experiencing previously lasted all day . . . seriously, I refused to write in front of coworkers because my tremors were very apparent while using fine motor skills. I do experience side effects such as lack of appetite, nausea, rapid heartbeat, headache, and occasionally tremors but I'll take four hours of those side effects over tremors 24-7 anytime."

LilRhonda (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2018

For Hashimoto's disease: "I was put on levothyroxine for hashimoto and it was horrible. Never felt good, horrible fatigue, tons of inflammation, brain fog and antibodies were over 1000. Took a year to find a doctor to prescribe Armour and will pray I NEVER have to go back to levothyroxine. Armour has been a life saver for me. I am not at 100%, but feel I am about 85% better than what I was on Levothyroxine."

Brenda (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 15, 2018

Levothyrox (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have only 3 days in this medicine since I have the short thyroid, it does not produce enough. I must say that before being in this medicine I had never felt any discomfort but once on this at a high dose 112mcg on the second day I had palpitations and shortness of breath. I had to go to an emergency room. Then the nervousness began, anxiety, I lowered the dose to 50mcg and began to feel on the third day of using it in 50mcg, I have sunstroke inside me, something hot, muscle aches, headaches, chills at night, sweat on the hand and legs. It's the worst feeling I've had. I went to emergency room and they just tell me that this medication can give these side effects until the hormone is regulated and then everything goes back to normal - until then I can feel this. I told him to switch to the zyntroid brand and use 25mcg to see if the situation improves."

Ocasio May 11, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I thought this med would be my silver bullet ! I was so relieved and excited to try it. 5 months in and no difference whatsoever! Even after multiple increases in dosage. Terribly disappointing as I had to fight to get it with insurance etc ect etc and it is not cheap ! I feel I am out of options as generic levo did nothing and I’ve also tried unithroid and armor, which was worse than all of them combined ! Armor is not worth all the praise it receives. I’m at a loss now. Gained over 25 MORE pounds on this tirosint!"

Doesn’t matter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 7, 2018

Levothroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Levothroid is THE worst med I have ever taken. Levothroid swelled my lips, face, eyes and genitals up for a whole week. Never again will I take this medication."

Ken (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have a hard time tolerating this medication. I have many side effects and in general do not feel as well as I used to."

D (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 4, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was taking Synthroid for three years. I was extremely ill during that time and it worsened. I could not eat, walk without falling, gained 30 pounds and my numbers did not go down. Finally my endocrinologist agreed to put me on Armour Thyroid medication. I lost all the weight I had gained in two weeks, could eat and walk. My whole life changed dramatically. Doctors are giving Armour a bad name, but I can tell you from my experience, it changed my life."

Annette (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "Works great. No more severe lack of energy. Wish I had known sooner."

Grouco (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "Had my thyroid removed 2 years ago. Was put on synthroid and have felt terrible ever since. Weight gain, joint and muscle pain, blurred vision, tremors, hair loss, constipation, irregular heart beat, stomach problems and the list goes on. Doctor tells me my numbers are fine and I should be put on an anti-depressent. Really. That's because they don't know enough about thyroid disease and keep pushing the drugs. This drug is next to poison but no one listens to us . We are held hostage to these doctors that don't care. Where do we turn to because I we are suffering. Help!!!"

Paw (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...