User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Myxedema Coma 1 reviews 19 medications

Thyroid Suppression Test 2 reviews 19 medications

4.2
Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 390 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Levothyroxine

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I've been taking this medication for years. It works very well in keeping my thyroid under control. I can always tell when I don't take it right especially when my blood is tested. I have learned that I need to take this medication in the mornings, because that is when it works its best."

Luvrofmusik (taken for 10 years or more) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Within minutes of taking pill I started itching like crazy and blister/boil like sores popped up . Stopped taking it for three days itching stopped and boils healed. Its may still have fillers in it"

B1966 July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Euthyrox (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I am taking Eutirox and too bad for me, I have noticed I am experiencing a lot of the side effects.I don t have any problems with allergies but I have redness swelling itchy eyes, swollen face etc...I used to use Eltroxin 100 but it s very hard to get ...eltroxin is so much better for me.. :("

spamless June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was on Synthyroid 50mcg and generic levothyroxine 50mcg. With both medications I had palpitations, heat intolerance, and severe insomina. Synthyroid was worse than levothyroxine. My TSH numbers were fine but I couldn't tolerate the insomina. The positive thing was that I lost 30 pounds. I was switched to Tirostint 50mcg& immediately could finally sleep. No more insomnia, no more palpitations, no more heat intolerance. I recently got my lab work back & I have a normal TSH, but I've started getting hypothyroid-like symptoms I used to have when I was no thyroid medication. So even though my TSH is normal and I can sleep, I am having weight gain, increased constipation, and hair line eczema. Alas I will try another brand!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hashimoto's disease: "I'm a 55-year old male, diagnosed with hypothyroidism on 8/30/16 (T4 lab 0.8 ng/dl). Started on Levothyroxine 50mcg at a weight of 226lb. On 11/10, T4 was up to 1.1 ng/dl (within normal range) and my weight was 224#. While taking the med, I experienced a dull headache in the morning along with terrible fatigue by midday. My PCP sent me to an Endocrinologist who increased the dosage to 75mcg in hopes of improving my T4 level and weight loss numbers. T4 was 1.3 on 3/10/17 but weight increased to 233#. With my Endocrinologist's approval, I stopped taking the med due to side effects and within a week the headaches and fatigue stopped and weight began to drop. Requested to try Armour instead but Endocrinologist is not a fan."

Too many side effects (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on synthroid for approx 10 years. Here are several points that I have learned: 1. You may initially start feeling better in a couple weeks but It takes MONTHS to see the full effects. 2. Depending on your TSH levels, your Dr should start you at a low dosage and gradually increase as needed. Starting with too high of a dosage is shock to your body and will even make you feel more tired as your body is working overtime. 3. See a Physician who is very familiar with thyroid issues. If you are not seeing positive results with family Dr. see an Endocrinologist! Many of the negative comments I have read may be a result of your Dr not understanding this disorder. 4. There are alternatives if this medicine is not working."

Jaybee63 May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "can not take this as I have all the side effects with this drug."

Anonymous May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levoxyl (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I love this brand the best. And yes I can tell the difference between generic brand. My short term memory is BAD. Mood, weight loss harder to get. Levoxyl works best. I'm glad my Dr. Listen to me."

Mslemontea27 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in November of 2016. Outside of lacking energy I was happy and healthy. They prescribed levothroxine 50 mcg. Since starting this medication I can't stop gaining weight, I have severe edema in my lower legs and joint pain. Doctor and pharmacist don't think these are side effects but nothing else has changed. I feel like I've aged 10 years in 6 months. I most likely will discontinue and suffer the effects of hypothyroidism rather than take this poison"

Luv cats n dogs (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "I first found out I had hypo thyroid 10/24 (OB checked bc I've been trying to conceive) TSH Level 8.7. After taking 50mg for 1month my TSH level went to 3.0. Unfortunately after that I started getting neg side effects such as constantly sleepy, unfocused & feeling really out of it, slight depression, & exhaustion. I hated it. A friend who was hypothyroid recommended taking Kelp Vitamins for the Iodine. I started taking 25mg Levo & my Kelp Vit daily. Jan 20 TSH was at 3.5 (Dr wanted me to stay on same 50mg prescription but I was still having negative side effects). Also had Vitamin D checked Jan 20 per friend recommendation & found out that was low too. So I STOPPED taking Levo, and ONLY took Vit D & Kelp Vit. Apr 18 levels checked again & TSH was 2.8 HALLELUJAH!"

Natural Way to Regulate! (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "After my thyroid surgery, I was put on Synthroid. I continued to get WORSE until I was nearly totally bedridden. I did some research and after several months, found a doctor who prescribed medications other than synthroid. I started taking a Natural desiccated thyroid (NDT) medicine. Within two weeks, I woke up and felt like getting out of bed. I continued to improve, however my strength never came back. I am totally confined to a wheelchair now."

JakeBuddy April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I have felt horrible for ten years since they removed my thyroid. I was told I didn't metabolize Synthroid properly. My doctor tried everything with negative results. I recently came across a published paper on the NIH website and it mentioned Tirosint. My doctor had never heard of it but she was willing to give it a try. That was two months ago and I have never felt better. I know the drug is expensive but there is a manufacturers coupon online. I ended up paying $35.00 but I would gladly pay full price. That's how good it is!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "After seeing my ob for some problems with menstruation, I was sent for about 10 different blood test to check my hormone levels. Let's just say that we found the source of my problem and I was referred to an endocrinologist. She wanted to repeat my TSH level cause she said that being at 3.65 was a little high for someone my age. So I went back within 4 weeks to get retested and my TSH was 10.36 and I was feeling it. I was so tired I could barely get out of bed. My headaches were out of control and I gained about 10 lbs in a months time. I just started 75mg Synthroid a few days ago so I'm feeling optimistic. I feel once we get my pituitary adenoma, thyroid and my vitamin D under control I'll be so much better. ADVICE: listen to your body."

ThisGurl (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For : "It kept me alive, barely. I struggled with depression, rage, mood swings, suicidal ideation, chronic lethargy, constipation and body aches, etc. for 30 years! I switched to natural dessicated thyroid and life is worth living now."

moriahnoelle (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hashimoto's disease: "When I take my Levothyroxine 0.075 mg as prescribed; on an empty stomach, preferably 1/2 to 1 hour before breakfast ; I have experienced stomach pain every time. The stomach pain has progressed to problems with diarrhea. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced stomach issues/irritability when taking this medication? The change seems to have occurred when they switched to the small purple pill with M on one side and L 6 on the other. When I was taking a round white pill these problems never occurred."

Nana Tanga April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I originally tried switching from 50 mcg of levothyroxine to 50 mcg of tirosint. Had horrible headaches and insomnia. I thought it was the med. Turns out this stuff is absorbed way better. I am now on my second trial of this medication only on 25 mcg and it is fabulous. I am slowly starting to feel normal again. And in only 2 weeks my labs are perfect. From what I have read starting the dose lower is best. I wish i would have done this my first try years ago cause I could have been feeling better a lot sooner. Levothyroxine and synthroid were AWFUL. Never felt good, was always depressed, irritable, teeth clenching, anxiety the list goes on. I will pay the price of tirosint to feel human! Praying things continue to get better."

Hashis (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was on Levoxyl for 15 years and had terrible side effects of reflux, asthma symptoms. The doctors had to put me on all kinds of asthma and GERD medications. Turns out it was the Levoxyl causing all those symptoms. Been on Tirosint for about 2 years and now off all GERD and asthma medications. My endo did not believe there was a correlation, I don't see her anymore. I feel pretty good on Tirosint, my new endo just upped my dosage, so hopefully I'll start losing some of the weight I gained when old endo put me on a lower dose. All in all, I'd rather pay a higher price and feel better than have to deal with all the side effects from the Levoxyl."

Carmelsyd (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was started on levothyroxin, then Armour and my symptoms were worse than before medication. Tirosint literally gave me my life back. Then new insurance made me try naturethroid. Back to the same misery that plagued me the better part of the year. Whatever the cause or effect in chemistry I am immediately changing back. Brain fog, sore muscles lethargy, fatigue, constant hunger, weight gain. Never again will I try another medicine."

Jouleen February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "I am from HK & have been on this Levothyroxine(Actavis brand) since Dec2016(when 1st diagnosed for Hypothyroidism). 2 months down the line feel no side effects.Its like just popping the pill.. which I want to stop. 1-2 weeks Initially had insomnia and palpitations as a side effect.Can I stop it over all? Am also taking Amlodipine for my hypertension with BP levels now at near normal level of 130/76 average.Weight lost from 83Kgs no now 75Kgs average."

Kalpesh_HK (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer & had a total thyroidectomy & also lost one parathyroid. The dr used high levels of iodine during my surgery and my endocrinologist had to put me on an iodine free diet for 4 months to clear it from my body. During this time I wasn't allowed to take any thyroid meds at all. I spent that entire time in bed under an electric blanket turned on high during a Vegas summer. Nothing normal there. I was a zombie. I had to have help to use the bathroom, shower & everything I was so weak. After RAI I started Synthroid. A few months later I noticed small improvements but gained 50# within the first year. It's been 7 years now and I'm worse all the time. I've lost my life to this. I'm switching to Armour."

QueenJennifer February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "Always feel like shyt. 20 years on this medication could not understand why I am not any better. Did my own research and found that it has GLUTEN in it. All this time taking med. that helps me be more sick. Not to mention weight gain it made me look puffy face hands swell just as if I was ingesting GLUTEN!!!! I was. If you have Celiac or IBS Don't take this."

ThatGirl1986 (taken for 10 years or more) February 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "My doctor switched me on Monday to Tirosint from levoxoryn and after 4 days I going back to my old medicine and I thank God I still have some because I can't go another day with this headaches, fatigue and muscle aches. I've been on levoxyl, thinthroid and levoxoryn and none have made me feel this horrible. I was planning on dealing with it to see if the symptoms would go away but I work doing payroll and taxes and this medicine is making me work real slow and making errors so I don't have the luxury to wait and see if in time I feel better. What I don't understand from what I've been reading this is a more pure form of levoxyl so if he's giving the same dosage wouldn't it mean he's over medicating me? I haven't talked to him yet."

Belle209 (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been taking this drug for more than two years 0.75 MGM it has not helped me with anything but keep my levels normal. My hair still falls out, I can't loose weight, my heart still flutters. I still don't slept well, my nails are brittle. What does this drug do for you? I have yet to find out... Think I will try another brand."

Vernal Gal (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Weight gain"

Margaretx January 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "I've been on levothyroxine for 2 weeks now. I tested negative for hashimotos but I do have multi nodular goiter. The doctor told me that it may take a few weeks to feel better. Two days after taking this medication I felt a tremendous difference! I'm not tired all the time, cravings for carbs went away, I don't feel depressed and I feel more like myself than I have in years! I'm losing a lot of weight but I have completely changed my diet as well. I don't eat any processed foods anymore and it's been incredibly easy to do. I'm thankful for this medication because after 4 years of suffering with hypothyroidism without knowing what was wrong in the first place was awful."

Kcw323 (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2017