User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, Tirosint-Sol, Unithroid …show all brand names

Myxedema Coma

Thyroid Suppression Test
4.2

Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 6.5 454 reviews

Reviews for Levothyroxine

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Originally my doctor put me on Levothyroxine when I first had symptoms of hypothyroidism. I continue to have the symptoms and ended up putting on a total of 43 lb! I then asked to see an endocrinologist and Bug them to put me on nature thyroid.. do to my persistence they put me on 82. 75 MCG of naturethroid. After 3 weeks of it in my system, I began to have energy again, stomach aches went away, slept better and was able to work out daily again! My new endocrinologist insisted that Synthroid was better then nature thyroid... So I will switch to Synthroid.. stomach aches and fatigue came back.. Synthroid and Levothyroxine don't help."

LoveNatural (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 12, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "Started taking Tirosint (50 mg) when I was diagnosed with Hashimotos and had a TPO pf 1200 and a TSH of 6.8. It has been a year and my TSH bounces between 1.03-2. I feel just fine and there have been no side effects, though it would have been cool to drop a couple pounds! Was using Willow Pharmacy but I understand they have been purchased by Highland. I hope they honor the coupon!"

janey July 11, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "For underactive thyroid I was first given synthroid. I had very bad side effects which included feeling very hyped up, terrible insomnia and anxiety out the roof. I felt crazy like I was on street drugs or something! Horrible experience that went on for many weeks. I finally was able to see an endo. Who right away put me on tirosint. Wow what a difference. No side effects. It took almost one year to get my levels right and my medication dose settled in but it was worth it. In the short term I felt much better after about a month. My doctor says the dyes and other fillers could have been causing my previous reaction. I am super sensitive to drugs and will not take over the counter meds or anything because of this. Tirosint is worth the extra cost if you are having problems like mine. They do offer a 35.00 coupon good for 18 months online if insurance wont pick up the cost."

Jo jo (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I've been on Tirosint for over 6 years now. I tried Synthroid and even Armour. Nothing worked until Tirosint. I started with 25 mcg and went up to 50mcg and have been on 50 mcg like forever. My levels went from 14 to 8 then to 6 then to 4. Then I went back up to 8 and my doctor increased me to 75 mcg. Well, I thought I was going to die. The headaches, the fatigue, seeing spots, feeling dizzy, stomach discomfort etc. Then some kind of lump developed on the right side of my neck. Like some kind of alien moving along my neck line & as it was happening I called for my husband and said what is that thing!!!!... So, I just put myself back on the 50 mg and within 2 weeks felt better but, not totally better. I think by increasing my med to 75 mcg was not a good plan by my doctor. I always say if it isn't broke don't fix it!!!...."

Lyd (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 3, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "I'v been taking levothyroxine for four months and it has helped, albeit with some negative side effects. However, the side effects last for no longer than four hours after ingestion, while the tremors I was experiencing previously lasted all day . . . seriously, I refused to write in front of coworkers because my tremors were very apparent while using fine motor skills. I do experience side effects such as lack of appetite, nausea, rapid heartbeat, headache, and occasionally tremors but I'll take four hours of those side effects over tremors 24-7 anytime."

LilRhonda (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2018

For Hashimoto's disease: "I was put on levothyroxine for hashimoto and it was horrible. Never felt good, horrible fatigue, tons of inflammation, brain fog and antibodies were over 1000. Took a year to find a doctor to prescribe Armour and will pray I NEVER have to go back to levothyroxine. Armour has been a life saver for me. I am not at 100%, but feel I am about 85% better than what I was on Levothyroxine."

Brenda (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 15, 2018

Levothyrox (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have only 3 days in this medicine since I have the short thyroid, it does not produce enough. I must say that before being in this medicine I had never felt any discomfort but once on this at a high dose 112mcg on the second day I had palpitations and shortness of breath. I had to go to an emergency room. Then the nervousness began, anxiety, I lowered the dose to 50mcg and began to feel on the third day of using it in 50mcg, I have sunstroke inside me, something hot, muscle aches, headaches, chills at night, sweat on the hand and legs. It's the worst feeling I've had. I went to emergency room and they just tell me that this medication can give these side effects until the hormone is regulated and then everything goes back to normal - until then I can feel this. I told him to switch to the zyntroid brand and use 25mcg to see if the situation improves."

Ocasio May 11, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I thought this med would be my silver bullet ! I was so relieved and excited to try it. 5 months in and no difference whatsoever! Even after multiple increases in dosage. Terribly disappointing as I had to fight to get it with insurance etc ect etc and it is not cheap ! I feel I am out of options as generic levo did nothing and I’ve also tried unithroid and armor, which was worse than all of them combined ! Armor is not worth all the praise it receives. I’m at a loss now. Gained over 25 MORE pounds on this tirosint!"

Doesn’t matter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 7, 2018

Levothroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Levothroid is THE worst med I have ever taken. Levothroid swelled my lips, face, eyes and genitals up for a whole week. Never again will I take this medication."

Ken (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have a hard time tolerating this medication. I have many side effects and in general do not feel as well as I used to."

D (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 4, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was taking Synthroid for three years. I was extremely ill during that time and it worsened. I could not eat, walk without falling, gained 30 pounds and my numbers did not go down. Finally my endocrinologist agreed to put me on Armour Thyroid medication. I lost all the weight I had gained in two weeks, could eat and walk. My whole life changed dramatically. Doctors are giving Armour a bad name, but I can tell you from my experience, it changed my life."

Annette (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "Works great. No more severe lack of energy. Wish I had known sooner."

Grouco (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "Had my thyroid removed 2 years ago. Was put on synthroid and have felt terrible ever since. Weight gain, joint and muscle pain, blurred vision, tremors, hair loss, constipation, irregular heart beat, stomach problems and the list goes on. Doctor tells me my numbers are fine and I should be put on an anti-depressent. Really. That's because they don't know enough about thyroid disease and keep pushing the drugs. This drug is next to poison but no one listens to us . We are held hostage to these doctors that don't care. Where do we turn to because I we are suffering. Help!!!"

Paw (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "This medicine caused serious weight gain in 6 weeks (19 lbs), My knees swelled up like a tennis ball filled with fluid, tired, etc. My PCP had me on lowest dose of Armour Thyroid. Found a nodule so I was sent to Cancer Thyroid Clinic. No cancer just a cyst. That endocrinologist immediately took me off Armor Thyroid (Endo's don't like alternative meds) & put me on 75mg Levothyroxine. Horrible experience! While my labs we're perfect Endo said after 2 months, my symptoms & side effects were horrible. Dr refused to listen & told her how much weight I gained still no concerns. I went back to my regular PCP & am now waiting to try Nature Throid tomorrow. Just because those numbers look good doesn't mean it's the right fit for you!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "Just began levothyroxine two weeks ago. Is that long enough to notice a difference? I did have some symptoms of hypothyroidism, like being cold, which I had thought was because it was winter. Also, I have gained weight, but I had stopped working, so thought that was to blame. I'm still cold, but losing weight due to going gluten- and dairy-free for about one month now, and exercising. I guess the next lab tests will tell if it's working. I noticed that a lot of the complaints about side effects seem to be very similar to symptoms, so that's confusing! Good luck to all! :)"

amy (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was excited to switch from synthroid to tirosint because my doctor told me that it was gluten free compared to other medications. I have been on it for a little over a month after switching from synthroid and I feel so terrible, anxiety, insomnia, fatigue , lots of hair loss & weight is stuck and my goiter in my neck is enlarged again. I called my doctor because I want to go back on my synthroid. I did read that some people do better on it than others and I believe it is just not for me."

Bina (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "I’ve been on this since 2009. After 8 months of very little improvement I went to my GP and begged them to add Cytomel. This combination of T3 and T4 works for me. You get to a point where you know when you need to be adjusted due to feeling exhausted, gaining weight for no reason, brain fog, etc—-it’s been a struggle to get a doctor to increase my dosage due to my high TSH levels. Finally found someone who went the extra step and ordered further testing. I’ve been diagnosed with a benign pituitary tumor which was causing my pituitary to overproduce Prolactin and TSH. My suggestion, if after 8 months of taking Levothyroxine and your symptoms don’t seem to be alleviated—ask to add a T3 med, for me it made a huge difference in quality of life."

Arvm April 8, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "This medicine I thought would be very good,vboy was I wrong.vIt lowered my numbers but it caused me to run a low grade fever that is making me miserable and I just discovered what was causing the fever. I thought to start looking at all my medicines again and lo and behold it stated that one of the less side effects was fever.vI am going to see if my medical doctor will change it to something else."

dee jayne (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Tirosint saved my life after many years of Synthroid making me gain weight for no reason and failing to keep my levels stable, despite dosage increases. Every doctor I went to brushed off my concerns until finally one mentioned Tirosint. I am finally able to lose weight instead of gain and my thyroid levels have never been better."

ExerciseSweetie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "If you are hypothyroid, levothyroxine is the difference between being completely dumb-ed out and depressed and being your regular self. It takes a bit of time and patience to find the ideal quantity, but stick with it and you will notice the differences."

AJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "So I’m still very new to trying tirosint, I started on 100mcg which I personally felt was way too much! I had my doctor send over for a lower dose of 25mcg. It is still to new to really say besides it makes me cold where with out it I’m hot or having hot flash type symptoms. I really want to know why the company packages it in an odd number. A pack is 28 and not 30. My pharmacy is charging for a 30 day pack but I’m getting 28 days worth???? Is there some class action suit needed to be taken on the drug company or cvs pharmacy ?!?"

Hheysunshine (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "So far so good"

Powerless (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "Over last year. My lab values have considerably decreased. I never felt well on any generic."

Sluggish. FT 3 n FT4 dropped February 23, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I had peeling of the hands and a facial rash"

Nibbs577 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2018

Euthyrox (levothyroxine) for TSH Suppression: "I took Euthyrox 50 mcg to treat thyroid dysfunction. Six months into the program I developed severe joint pain in my hands and feet. Physicians misdiagnosed my joint paint as Gout. The pain became severe in a very short period of time to the point that it paralyzed my ability to do daily chores. Holding a cup, walking, or turning the key inside the key hole was becoming a challenge. I have stopped the pill for about a month and over 90% of the symptoms are gone."

HHR February 13, 2018