User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Myxedema Coma 1 reviews 18 medications

Thyroid Suppression Test 2 reviews 18 medications

4.2
Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 321 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Levothyroxine

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I'm hypothyroid and skinny as a rail and cannot even gain a single pound, 58 yo, 5'6" 88 lbs, thyroid damaged through radiation, have been on synthroid/levothyroxin 50 mcg daily, and I notice no change at all, still no energy, still totally exhaust 24/7,still losing weight like crazy with a relatively healthy appetite. However, since I totally trust my oncologist, I keep taking them."

dvdbrian July 19, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I am so frustrated. My endocrinologist keeps saying my labs are just right on 88 mcg daily of levothyroxine. But I am miserable since thyroidectomy 3 years ago. He originally had me on a higher dose but brought it down twice. I've gained 35 pounds, lost a lot of my hair, have constant headaches, vision problems, body aches and absolutely no energy! The doctor says it's not because of my thyroid meds and says there is no alternative medication and he will not increase the dosage either. I am increasingly depressed by this but don't know where to turn. I have also lost much bone mass but refused Prolia because of known side effects."

Lucinderella (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 15, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I can almost guarantee that most of these negative reviews are due to either 1. Taking the medication incorrectly (generic works for some not all), too close to food or iron,calcium, some antidepressants interfere) 2. Taking the incorrect dose 3. Not being consistent(must be close to the same time daily ) I had gone through many changes before finally getting it right. Seems to be working good after getting on brand name and taking it seriously."

John jacob July 9, 2016

Levoxyl (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Levoxyl has given me my life back. I did not do well on Synthroid or generics."

ThyroidMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on levo for a year and a half and I have experienced a few side affects tha are not mentioned when prescribed I have heart burn, acid reflux, brain fog, always tired all the time but I love this med it has my periods back to normal which is what I was hoping for so its worth the side affects before being tested I didn't have a period in 18 months."

Sunshine7191 July 7, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I am 22 years old and fairly healthy educated young woman. I had blood work done in August 2015 and found out my TSH was 60, so my doctor prescribed 50 mcg of levothyroxine. In January 2016, I had my TSH rechecked and it was down to 30. I continued to take the levothyroxine for a month and a half, from late January to the middle of March. During the time I was taking this medication, I felt so lethargic, I had terrible brain fog, and I was so bloated that I actually got stretch marks on my stomach! I have never been pregnant or even had sex, and I got stretch marks from being miserably bloated! Also, with the levothyroxine, I had the worst heart burn in my life. The acid reflux was so bad that I would get choked and start coughing from it."

DonnaBellaBonnie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 30, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have had trouble with my hypothyroidism for 40 years. The last 4 years it has been out of control.. can't keep my levels good. Fall asleep at the drop of a pin. Tired all the time. Doc put me on tirosint. At first I felt like a million bucks!! Then the panic attacks started, bad horrible cramps in my legs and feet. But the worst was feeling like I was in a constant state of DIVERTICULITIS!! I was eating pain meds and on antibiotics for weeks! Then I stopped taking it. it went away.. it has only been a couple of days... but my belly is feeling better, but my aneixty is still running at a 9.. along with the irritability."

Patty 857 June 23, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "This medication is used to treat low thyroid hormone levels. I have Hashimoto's. This is an autoimmune disorder where the body attacks the thyroid until it no longer functions properly. Many people with low thyroid hormone levels have this but are not aware because doctors tend to treat with the medication rather than the whole disease. A lot of the people posting claiming side effects are actually describing side effects of LOW THYROID or HIGH THYROID! The medication is simply a replacement hormone and will not make you constipated, have brain fog, anxiety, fibromyalgia, heart palpitations, etc. unless you are taking TOO MUCH or TOO LITTLE of the hormone. A lot of the negative reviews of this medication are absolutely ridiculous!"

Breeta (taken for 10 years or more) June 21, 2016

Levoxyl (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have been taking Levoxyl for 3 months and my blood tests have gone down from 110 to 65 it's still not normal still under active thyroid. Half my hair has fallen out in the 3 month period. My stomach hurts and the Dr said no Pepcid or antacids for 4 hours after taking the medication. My joints and muscles hurt all of the time and I have insomnia. I think I may be adapting to the meds as I no longer have to spend half the day in the bathroom. Diarrhea has lessened but stomach cramps persist. I was just told I need to increase the Levoxyl to 075 mg. I'm terrified I may end up bald with an ulcer"

Happy dog June 13, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on the edge of hypothyroidism but not fully diagnosed cause my TSH wasn't considered high enough to be classified but had most of the symptoms so I was given the low dose of a thyroid medication I was so sick, I ended up in the ER with a horrible migraine and throwing up for 14 hrs. My dr. switched me to Tirosint same dose as before and I have no side effects. I am finally feeling human I am not so tired, I am more alert and focused, my TSH level has gone to a much better level."

hbrady21 June 10, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "Thyroid was removed a year ago for papillary cancer, been on levothyroxine since. Gained 20 pounds on generic levothyroxine and felt awful, would wake up with a puffy face and eyes even though blood tests showed in range. My endo just switched me to tirosint and after one week I feel so much better. My face and legs are retaining less water, last time I felt this good was prior to my thyroidectomy. I have celiac and crohns which probably caused absorption issues. I also hate dairy and generic levothyroxine has a dairy base, go figure."

A12345123 (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I had my thyroid out in Feb. of 2016. I was put on 125mgr of generic Synthroid. My blood sugar was dropping below 50 on a daily basis. I looked the problem up on the internet and found that people had the same problem and advocated that I take the brand name drug to correct the problem. For the past two months I have been on the name brand and I seem to be leveling out in the high 60s with my sugar which is ok. I am stuck paying the extra charge not covered by my insurance. roughly $32 per month for 30 pills. Have had no weight gain yet which I am very happy about. I am going to ask my doctor at the end of this month to increase my dosage to bring my sugar up into the 80s or even 90s where it belongs."

Vinojack (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I hope that the FDA is reviewing & testing Tirosint. Thought I was going to die after only taking a low dose of Tirosint for a few days. Chest pains, extreme disorientation, very sick, could not stop crying. The hospital did not know what to do. My pharmacist suggested drinking lots of water to get it out of me, which I did. Nightmare experience!!!"

Hope this helps someone... (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "osteoporosis,heart valve problems,insomnia,anxiety,bone pain,mdd, levothyroxine is not a good medication does more harm than good"

jack889900w May 28, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "Original symptoms slightly decreased but side effects such as heart palpitations, sweats, hunger, weight gain, hand tremors, feelings of panic/stress, insomnia, acne, irritable/depressed make me question is it the drug or is it the dosage. Dr says higher dosage is needed. Endocrinologist says lower dosage is needed. Surely medicine for a complaint should be more clear-cut and less guesswork done by the medical profession. I'm told there is no other drug available to me for my hypothyroid problem."

MaryD3zzhttp://www.drugs.com/m (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "will ruin your life"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I've been on this 7-8 years and it works well. I able to maintain my idle body weight. When 1st taking it, I was starving and ate everything under the soon. After adjusting to the medicine, I'm able to stay at 115 lbs which is perfect for me. I also have fibromyalgia and feel tired all the time."

Susieq88888 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I've been on this drug since I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at around twelve years old. It hasn't done anything especially dramatic or life changing. I am able to lose weight and I am not tired and sluggish. I don't believe I have experienced any of the known side effects. This drug works for me, that's all I can ask."

ihavemigraines (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "Tirosint has been the best med I've taken for Hashimotos thus far. I tried WesThroid which is NDT (because I've read such good things about it online) and it was terrible, I went hyperthyroid in a big way and had a panic attack at work. Immediately went back to Tirosint. I also take compounded T3 as needed which is extremely helpful. I do hate that I have to pay out of pocket for it each month (BCBS FEP) but it's worth it to feel normal. It's also important to add that I am completely gluten free and heavily limit my processed sugar and dairy intake, that has been crucial in the healing process and no thyroid medication will solve your problems if you have a poor diet."

Margaret626 April 18, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on Levothyroxin for four years. I have no thyroid. I have gained 60 pounds. I am angry about the weight gain. I have absolutely no energy when I used to have too much. The major problem that I found with this drug is that it gives me bad heart burn. I also have heart palpitations. The doctor claims my levels are where they should be and refuse to switch me to anything else."

202400 April 18, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I had my thyroid removed about 2 years ago. I weighed about 190. I was put on 125 mcg Synthroid right after the surgery. I lost about 20 pounds without trying at all. My dosage was increased to 175 mcg. I then started gaining weight. My endocrinologist increased my dosage to 200 mcg. My weight went up to 224 lbs. Never weighed so much before. I've been told by a couple of other doctors that the higher doses of Synthroid should cause weight loss, not gain. I am 72 years old. In general, I have aches and pains, something wrong every day. Don't know if that's Synthroid related or not. But I am very uncomfortable with all this weight, just doing everyday things."

Anonymous April 12, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "My thyroid test showed it to be under active, Dr increased Levothyroxine to 100 MCG to be taken two hours on empty stomach before I can eat! I guestioned Pharmacist and he confirmed two hours wate. Very difficult to wait 2 hours! I take several other medications! What can I do?"

Berlene April 10, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I loved it when I first started. Felt more energized, lost weight, felt good. Now 8 months in and a dosage of 100mcg my levels are normal but I feel worse off. Sore throats, mouth ulcers, painful diarrhea after mildly acidic foods, insomnia, weight gain, joint pain, hair thinning. Requested a full panel of all 4 and tsh but doctors won't adjust anything since my levels are normal range. I feel worse on this medicine long term than I did before taking it. Hoping to try the dessicated hormone if I can find someone who can prescribe it."

Randino (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 3, 2016

For Hashimoto's disease: "Has worked wonders ever since starting!"

koryn (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 28, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I started with Armour Thyroid 15 and felt better. When dose was increased to 30, I started to have mild swelling in my hands. My doctor said, it's a side effect. It did not bother me a lot. When dose was increased to 60, I started to have more swelling in my hands, increased appetite, weird muscle and joints pain. I did research and think T3 in Armour Thyroid caused it. I asked doctor to change Armour Thyroid to Levothyroxine and miracle happened: appetite decreased, swelling in hands, muscle and joints pain disappeared. I guess my body produced enough T3 by it's own and extra T3 from Armour Thyroid was too much for me. Removing Armour Thyroid I removed extra T3 and made all those symptoms disappear."

Irenebluesky (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2016