User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Myxedema Coma 1 reviews 19 medications

Thyroid Suppression Test 2 reviews 19 medications

4.2
Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 379 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Levothyroxine

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I have felt horrible for ten years since they removed my thyroid. I was told I didn't metabolize Synthroid properly. My doctor tried everything with negative results. I recently came across a published paper on the NIH website and it mentioned Tirosint. My doctor had never heard of it but she was willing to give it a try. That was two months ago and I have never felt better. I know the drug is expensive but there is a manufacturers coupon online. I ended up paying $35.00 but I would gladly pay full price. That's how good it is!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "After seeing my ob for some problems with menstruation, I was sent for about 10 different blood test to check my hormone levels. Let's just say that we found the source of my problem and I was referred to an endocrinologist. She wanted to repeat my TSH level cause she said that being at 3.65 was a little high for someone my age. So I went back within 4 weeks to get retested and my TSH was 10.36 and I was feeling it. I was so tired I could barely get out of bed. My headaches were out of control and I gained about 10 lbs in a months time. I just started 75mg Synthroid a few days ago so I'm feeling optimistic. I feel once we get my pituitary adenoma, thyroid and my vitamin D under control I'll be so much better. ADVICE: listen to your body."

ThisGurl (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For : "It kept me alive, barely. I struggled with depression, rage, mood swings, suicidal ideation, chronic lethargy, constipation and body aches, etc. for 30 years! I switched to natural dessicated thyroid and life is worth living now."

moriahnoelle (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hashimoto's disease: "When I take my Levothyroxine 0.075 mg as prescribed; on an empty stomach, preferably 1/2 to 1 hour before breakfast ; I have experienced stomach pain every time. The stomach pain has progressed to problems with diarrhea. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced stomach issues/irritability when taking this medication? The change seems to have occurred when they switched to the small purple pill with M on one side and L 6 on the other. When I was taking a round white pill these problems never occurred."

Nana Tanga April 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I originally tried switching from 50 mcg of levothyroxine to 50 mcg of tirosint. Had horrible headaches and insomnia. I thought it was the med. Turns out this stuff is absorbed way better. I am now on my second trial of this medication only on 25 mcg and it is fabulous. I am slowly starting to feel normal again. And in only 2 weeks my labs are perfect. From what I have read starting the dose lower is best. I wish i would have done this my first try years ago cause I could have been feeling better a lot sooner. Levothyroxine and synthroid were AWFUL. Never felt good, was always depressed, irritable, teeth clenching, anxiety the list goes on. I will pay the price of tirosint to feel human! Praying things continue to get better."

Hashis (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was on Levoxyl for 15 years and had terrible side effects of reflux, asthma symptoms. The doctors had to put me on all kinds of asthma and GERD medications. Turns out it was the Levoxyl causing all those symptoms. Been on Tirosint for about 2 years and now off all GERD and asthma medications. My endo did not believe there was a correlation, I don't see her anymore. I feel pretty good on Tirosint, my new endo just upped my dosage, so hopefully I'll start losing some of the weight I gained when old endo put me on a lower dose. All in all, I'd rather pay a higher price and feel better than have to deal with all the side effects from the Levoxyl."

Carmelsyd (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 28, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was started on levothyroxin, then Armour and my symptoms were worse than before medication. Tirosint literally gave me my life back. Then new insurance made me try naturethroid. Back to the same misery that plagued me the better part of the year. Whatever the cause or effect in chemistry I am immediately changing back. Brain fog, sore muscles lethargy, fatigue, constant hunger, weight gain. Never again will I try another medicine."

Jouleen February 20, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "I am from HK & have been on this Levothyroxine(Actavis brand) since Dec2016(when 1st diagnosed for Hypothyroidism). 2 months down the line feel no side effects.Its like just popping the pill.. which I want to stop. 1-2 weeks Initially had insomnia and palpitations as a side effect.Can I stop it over all? Am also taking Amlodipine for my hypertension with BP levels now at near normal level of 130/76 average.Weight lost from 83Kgs no now 75Kgs average."

Kalpesh_HK (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer & had a total thyroidectomy & also lost one parathyroid. The dr used high levels of iodine during my surgery and my endocrinologist had to put me on an iodine free diet for 4 months to clear it from my body. During this time I wasn't allowed to take any thyroid meds at all. I spent that entire time in bed under an electric blanket turned on high during a Vegas summer. Nothing normal there. I was a zombie. I had to have help to use the bathroom, shower & everything I was so weak. After RAI I started Synthroid. A few months later I noticed small improvements but gained 50# within the first year. It's been 7 years now and I'm worse all the time. I've lost my life to this. I'm switching to Armour."

QueenJennifer February 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "Always feel like shyt. 20 years on this medication could not understand why I am not any better. Did my own research and found that it has GLUTEN in it. All this time taking med. that helps me be more sick. Not to mention weight gain it made me look puffy face hands swell just as if I was ingesting GLUTEN!!!! I was. If you have Celiac or IBS Don't take this."

ThatGirl1986 (taken for 10 years or more) February 12, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "My doctor switched me on Monday to Tirosint from levoxoryn and after 4 days I going back to my old medicine and I thank God I still have some because I can't go another day with this headaches, fatigue and muscle aches. I've been on levoxyl, thinthroid and levoxoryn and none have made me feel this horrible. I was planning on dealing with it to see if the symptoms would go away but I work doing payroll and taxes and this medicine is making me work real slow and making errors so I don't have the luxury to wait and see if in time I feel better. What I don't understand from what I've been reading this is a more pure form of levoxyl so if he's giving the same dosage wouldn't it mean he's over medicating me? I haven't talked to him yet."

Belle209 (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been taking this drug for more than two years 0.75 MGM it has not helped me with anything but keep my levels normal. My hair still falls out, I can't loose weight, my heart still flutters. I still don't slept well, my nails are brittle. What does this drug do for you? I have yet to find out... Think I will try another brand."

Vernal Gal (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 25, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Weight gain"

Margaretx January 24, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "I've been on levothyroxine for 2 weeks now. I tested negative for hashimotos but I do have multi nodular goiter. The doctor told me that it may take a few weeks to feel better. Two days after taking this medication I felt a tremendous difference! I'm not tired all the time, cravings for carbs went away, I don't feel depressed and I feel more like myself than I have in years! I'm losing a lot of weight but I have completely changed my diet as well. I don't eat any processed foods anymore and it's been incredibly easy to do. I'm thankful for this medication because after 4 years of suffering with hypothyroidism without knowing what was wrong in the first place was awful."

Kcw323 (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2017

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "I am still experiencing hot flashes, tired, no energy all the time, sleep 12 to 14 hours. Doc won't increase me currently on 50mg I need a heck of a lot more I believe"

B.boo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 11, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "I just started with levothyroxine about 3 months ago , before that I had no energy at all I felt bad. Right after I took it , I felt much better however now 3 month later, my joints are hurting badly especially at night. I called a compounding pharmacy , where I get a compounded HRT cream from and he said that thyroid meds can alter hormones , so he suggested I try Nature Thyroid 1 grain ,( whatever that means) so I am going to the Dr and asking about that . it is made from pigs which is a bummer , since I tried to be vegan......"

palt January 10, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "been on levothyroxine for about 5 months. initially 50mcg. After about a week or two, I immediately felt better. "brain fog" was decreased, I felt Alot less tired, a lot less cd. also, I lost a significant amount of weight (I put on a lot due to an undiagnosed autoimmune thyroiditis). I'd say the worst side effect of this is the massive hair loss initially. and my hair was tangled so easily. I am now on a maintanence dose of 100mcg. have bought myself a decent hairbrush and I feel a lot better."

catherinekennedy January 7, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been taking .075mg for at least 2 years. No bad side effects. No weight gain or loss. I would say the only difference I notice is no more afternoon fatigue. This medicine takes awhile to start working. I do believe it should be taking as said. ( half hour before meal ) which I don't always follow. My dose has recently been increased to 0.1 MG. I am going to do my best to follow the directions now....half hour before meal at breakfast."

Dabeachman January 5, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I ended up with an emergency complete thyroidectomy after an ultrasound revealed the tumors ((2 in each lobe of my thyroid) had grown and were the culprit to me having to turn my head to the left to swallow food or to even drink liquid. After years of taking levithyroxine I was put onto the brand name Synthroid. At worst, my levels were 86.4. Yes, you read that correctly. My my hair falls out in clumps, tired, exhausted, body aches and joint pain, chronic fatigue, etc. now my routine is to take my synthroid at bedtime with vitamin c. I wake up fine, I'm down from 325 to 181 and I feel great! Please remember your thyroid takes weeks/months to change, you won't notice anything three days to a month into taking this"

mizzgigglzyahoo.com December 30, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "After taking levothyroxine for 20 days, I developed rashes all over my body, extremely itchy. Skin biopsy confirmed its drug allergy and levothyroxine was the only drug I was taking at that time. It was lechinoid drug eruption which took me 2 months to come out of it."

Achu S December 20, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "Took levothyroxine for 32 years. In last 3 years, the weight gain, bloat, insomnia and overall funk became unbearable. Saw everyone is having similar trouble. Quit, cold turkey, 2.5 months ago. Feeling much better, immediately began losing weight. They say stopping was supposed to be dangerous, but I had no issues. Am not taking any other supplements."

PumpkinP1e December 12, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Synthroid makes my eyes have a burning sensation."

Sannee (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "ON Tiroaint for about 4 months. I certainly have more energy. I have been on synthroid, levoxyl, lecothyroxine and nature throid, this seems to work the best. BUT_ I keep getting rashes in odd places, like my chest and now the backs of my shins, I am starting to think it is the meds as I have not switched detergents and the one I use is free of scent and dyes. Anyone else suffer with rashes on Tirosint. I won't stop, because the rash is better than the way I felt before Tirosint."

MOMNYC (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Underactive Thyroid: "Tried 25.50 .75 .125,doctor changes amount like no mans bussness. Mercury.Actavis,Whochatdt. All seem to have bad side effects. I'm sick of headaches.nausea on a good day tremors.heart palpitations.jittery.etc on a bad day.which seem to be 5/7 days a week. I don't want to poison my body anymore but I've been scared into taking it .I think I'm scared of coma, not dying just a coma What else can I / we try. I know I am not alone."

hate levothyroxin November 24, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I was on levothyroxine for a year after my cancer surgery/thyroid removal. it was the worst year of my life. I was seriously hating life, because I hurt every single day. Muscle aches, swelling, every symptom you can imagine. Weight gain was the worst. I fired my endo and waited two months to see the new one. If I wasn't married, I'd propose to the man. In three weeks my life has changed. I can go to the gym, and not feel like I have been hit by a truck. No muscle aches. I have lost 9 lbs. Brain fog is lifting. I sleep better, and my I don't feel like a 47 year old stuck in a 90 year old body. I will pay ANY amount of money and I will NEVER go back."

Loving Tirosint (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2016