User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, Tirosint-Sol, Unithroid …show all brand names

Myxedema Coma

6.9

6 reviews
Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 6.6 447 reviews

Reviews for Levothyroxine

For Underactive Thyroid: "This medicine caused serious weight gain in 6 weeks (19 lbs), My knees swelled up like a tennis ball filled with fluid, tired, etc. My PCP had me on lowest dose of Armour Thyroid. Found a nodule so I was sent to Cancer Thyroid Clinic. No cancer just a cyst. That endocrinologist immediately took me off Armor Thyroid (Endo's don't like alternative meds) & put me on 75mg Levothyroxine. Horrible experience! While my labs we're perfect Endo said after 2 months, my symptoms & side effects were horrible. Dr refused to listen & told her how much weight I gained still no concerns. I went back to my regular PCP & am now waiting to try Nature Throid tomorrow. Just because those numbers look good doesn't mean it's the right fit for you!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "Just began levothyroxine two weeks ago. Is that long enough to notice a difference? I did have some symptoms of hypothyroidism, like being cold, which I had thought was because it was winter. Also, I have gained weight, but I had stopped working, so thought that was to blame. I'm still cold, but losing weight due to going gluten- and dairy-free for about one month now, and exercising. I guess the next lab tests will tell if it's working. I noticed that a lot of the complaints about side effects seem to be very similar to symptoms, so that's confusing! Good luck to all! :)"

amy (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was excited to switch from synthroid to tirosint because my doctor told me that it was gluten free compared to other medications. I have been on it for a little over a month after switching from synthroid and I feel so terrible, anxiety, insomnia, fatigue , lots of hair loss & weight is stuck and my goiter in my neck is enlarged again. I called my doctor because I want to go back on my synthroid. I did read that some people do better on it than others and I believe it is just not for me."

Bina (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "I’ve been on this since 2009. After 8 months of very little improvement I went to my GP and begged them to add Cytomel. This combination of T3 and T4 works for me. You get to a point where you know when you need to be adjusted due to feeling exhausted, gaining weight for no reason, brain fog, etc—-it’s been a struggle to get a doctor to increase my dosage due to my high TSH levels. Finally found someone who went the extra step and ordered further testing. I’ve been diagnosed with a benign pituitary tumor which was causing my pituitary to overproduce Prolactin and TSH. My suggestion, if after 8 months of taking Levothyroxine and your symptoms don’t seem to be alleviated—ask to add a T3 med, for me it made a huge difference in quality of life."

Arvm April 8, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "This medicine I thought would be very good,vboy was I wrong.vIt lowered my numbers but it caused me to run a low grade fever that is making me miserable and I just discovered what was causing the fever. I thought to start looking at all my medicines again and lo and behold it stated that one of the less side effects was fever.vI am going to see if my medical doctor will change it to something else."

dee jayne (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Tirosint saved my life after many years of Synthroid making me gain weight for no reason and failing to keep my levels stable, despite dosage increases. Every doctor I went to brushed off my concerns until finally one mentioned Tirosint. I am finally able to lose weight instead of gain and my thyroid levels have never been better."

ExerciseSweetie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "If you are hypothyroid, levothyroxine is the difference between being completely dumb-ed out and depressed and being your regular self. It takes a bit of time and patience to find the ideal quantity, but stick with it and you will notice the differences."

AJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "So I’m still very new to trying tirosint, I started on 100mcg which I personally felt was way too much! I had my doctor send over for a lower dose of 25mcg. It is still to new to really say besides it makes me cold where with out it I’m hot or having hot flash type symptoms. I really want to know why the company packages it in an odd number. A pack is 28 and not 30. My pharmacy is charging for a 30 day pack but I’m getting 28 days worth???? Is there some class action suit needed to be taken on the drug company or cvs pharmacy ?!?"

Hheysunshine (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "So far so good"

Powerless (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "Over last year. My lab values have considerably decreased. I never felt well on any generic."

Sluggish. FT 3 n FT4 dropped February 23, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I had peeling of the hands and a facial rash"

Nibbs577 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2018

Euthyrox (levothyroxine) for TSH Suppression: "I took Euthyrox 50 mcg to treat thyroid dysfunction. Six months into the program I developed severe joint pain in my hands and feet. Physicians misdiagnosed my joint paint as Gout. The pain became severe in a very short period of time to the point that it paralyzed my ability to do daily chores. Holding a cup, walking, or turning the key inside the key hole was becoming a challenge. I have stopped the pill for about a month and over 90% of the symptoms are gone."

HHR February 13, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I had been on synthroid for over 10 years for hypothyroidism. I was then diagnosed last year with Hashimotos. I felt like the Synthroid was no longer working for me. I saw a new Endocrinologist who gave me samples of Tirosint. I am a migraine sufferer and have been for years. I started getting headaches with the Tirosint that were different than my migraines. Not even two weeks after starting Tirosint I had a headache so bad I could not stop puking. I ended up at the ER. As they started an IV and pain/nausea meds they tell me they need to admit me to ICU. My heart rate was 166, and I was in AFIB. I have never had heart problems in my life, and no history in my family. Luckily the drugs they were giving me in my IV put my heart back in rhythm, or they were going to have to stop/restart my heart. Once released from the hospital I never took Tirosint again, and went back to Synthroid. I am now permanently on Cardizem and an aspirin a day."

17895steele (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "After taking synthroid for less than a year, I have been confined to a wheelchair and have permanent breathing/respiratory issues."

NoMoreSynthroid (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "I'm really glad my doctor discovered my hypothyroidism and started me on levothyroxine. I'm not as cold or fatigued as I used to be, so it works well enough! I just think of it as a supplement"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 6, 2018

Unithroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "This medication gave me severe gastric upset. And it messed up my levels so bad. I was on Sandoz brand for years and got switched to this. All of a sudden I'm severely overdosed. This med does absorb better then most so doctors beware."

Tabbyknight January 20, 2018

For Hashimoto's disease: "Amazing. Within a week - I wasn’t falling asleep at 6pm. And within a month : my TSH and t4 levels were back to within range"

Jewelzz678 January 15, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I'm taking Synthroid - its a horrible drug. I'm losing all my hair, headaches, insomnia, depression, fatigue, brain fog, etc.. This drug sucks I have no idea why doctors keep pushing this drug. I have a new insurance and Doctor hopefully I can start taking Armour If not I have no idea what's to come."

Lbjaz (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 13, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "First week on 50 Mcg of Levothyroxine has been great. I had undiagnosed Hypothyroidism for years, I became very lazy, tired and never felt like doing anything. I tried eating healthy, going running, but obviously nothing helped. I only been on for one week and already feeling better for the first time in years, a lift of brain fog and more energy, I don't feel so cold, my appetite is back, I enjoy food again. I have some bloating but I think this could be due to eating more. I really hope I can be my old self again"

StrawMan (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Thyroidectomy after cancer diagnosis and so far I've had not had great luck with synthyroid. Currently I'm on 112 mcg and it makes me feel like I have a itchy sunburn and the weight gain is insane I feel water logged in my legs most of the time and too many mental glitches. I dislike this drug it's has to many fillers that cause other issues. If you have a known allergies avoid synthyroid until they can create an allergy free version."

Batty1 January 3, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been taking this levothyroxine for about 5.5 years now and it has never made me feel any better than before I started . I have never lost weight and actually have gained ! I have no energy at all I in fact feel like I’m dying a slow death !! I have told my doctors over and over again that I don’t feel better and yet they continue to feed me this rubbish along with some supplements and still nothing works !! I have cried to the doctor about my symptoms and they tried to give me depression medicine which I refuse to take I am not a depressed person the only thing that brings me down is this medicine! I think I’m going to stop taking it all together ! This is absolutely despicable .. I have a feeling it’s this rubbish medicine ! There is not enough info about this disease !!"

Jen .. I feel like SHIT !! (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 30, 2017

For Hashimoto's disease: "Diarrhea"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been taking this medicine since I was 16 years old. I am now 55 and after reading all the reviews, I can't complain as much. I been on 112 mcg all my life. I am 5' 2" tall and weigh 155 pounds."

sweet pup December 8, 2017

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I used Synthroid (25, 50 or 75 for over more than 10 years, but had to use the original, not the generic because generic does not work in some people. I've not been operated, but for over 2 years I've been using NatureThroid (32.5) instead which was recommended by my ND and have to say that all my side effects that Synthroid caused, had gone. I almost lost all my hair and had terrible heart beats, headaches, joint pains, etc. I do not have hashimoto, and really don't know if it works for people with this condition, but I tried NatureThroid and I am very happy with the results."

Ayapliana December 6, 2017

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I've had my thyroid removed for over ten years now. I've taken generic thyroid medicine, Synthroid, and now Tirosint. The dye in my Synthroid kept me from getting regulated. My body responded well to Tirosint for about 5 consecutive years. Due to insurance changes, I got off of it last year and got back on this year when my physician made a few calls to assist me. To my dismay, Tirosint is not working for me, even with me taking Cytomel to help me digest and absorb it. I'm tired, have thinning hair, levels are at 8.999, and I'm sweating with every movement. I'm quite disappointed that I can't get regulated."

Drea C (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 27, 2017