User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, Tirosint-Sol, Unithroid …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Myxedema Coma

Thyroid Suppression Test
4.2

Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 6.6 415 reviews

Reviews for Levothyroxine

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I switched over to Tirosint after taking levothyroxine for the past two years. It worked for me, I felt great and energetic. The only downside after switching is that I gained at least 10-15 lbs, and my face has gotten puffy I hate it. My insurance won’t cover the dose I’m on (150mcg) and it’s just way too expensive out of pocket. I believe my last refill was around $150, the pharmacy was able to bring it down to $113, which is still a lot for only a 28 day supply. I just switched to Armour Thyroid, (90mg). Hopefully that will help with the weight loss, it’s also NDT which is another good alternative if you prefer the natural route."

drread90 November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hashimoto's disease: "I was put on Levothyroxine about 6 months ago then sent for further evaluation and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. The levothyroxine has caused more inflammation. My right knee is so inflamed I wound up going for an MRI to find out why it hurt so bad. I stopped taking the levothyroxin and my knee started feeling better within two days of stopping. I also feel less swollen overall. I don’t think this drug helps at all and in my case just made me worse. I’m no longer taking it, it’s not worth it to be in so much pain. I’ll have to find an alternative way of dealing with my autoimmune issues."

CPandab November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I've been on both and yes you have to see a Dr. who specializes in this disorder and you also have to take it one hour before you eat both levo and synthroid because I feel different I've done it taking after I ate and didn't work and then I followed the doctors orders take one hour before breakfast. I'm on 75mcg and my weight is doing great my levels normal if I keep on the medicine and take it like my doctor said to take it and I go to many different specialist's because I have many medical problems and I'm only 30 but this thyroid be thing started after I had my daughter so no do not take it at night after meals cuz your body will not absorb the medicine correct the medicine needs to be with a full glass of water and no food so it can work thru"

Jujubean30 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I had tried Armour thyroid, Synthroid DAW, compounded T3/T4, cytomel and Tirosint was able to control my TSH, T3 and T4 much more than the other drugs. I haven't needed to make many adjustments at all on the medication. I did lose a few pounds in the first month of switching to Tirosint as well."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levoxyl (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Some general ill feelings, feels a lot like I'm taking hydrocodone"

kamlchap (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "My doctor prescribed Levothyroxine for low thyroid and I had been feeling so tired and wiped out. Levothyroxine did help improve my numbers (TSH of 7.5 dropped to 4.5) but I felt awful on it. Everything hurt and I was so exhausted. After 3 months on Levothryoxine, I asked to try the brand name Synthroid. What a difference!!! It improved my numbers even more (same dose, TSH decreased to 1.75) and not only that, I felt better. I had energy. My experience is night and day. I know generics are supposed to be equivalent but I can tell you there is a difference. Synthroid brand works so much better than Levothyroxine. Recommended."

Dennise2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Levothyroxine 50mcg was prescribed. First time user. First day took only half. By mid day I felt hyperactive. Had difficulty falling asleep at night. 2nd day took 1 tab. Still felt overactive for the day. Still insomnia 3rd, 4th, 5th day heat intolerance set in. I had the airconditioner on all day and all night. 6th day, all were felt and at about 7pm severe headache was felt while at a party. Headache was so severe it felt like the pressure on my head was going to bust off my head. Cooled off by putting ice on my face which also made my glands swell, did not lower the pressure on my head. Took blood pressure reading when I got home. It was very high. I have never felt such pressure headache before in my life nor high blood pressure reading."

Bannered (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "After being diagnosed with Hashimoto's (awful ideopathic urticaria/welts from being touched), I was told to try generic Synthroid. My rashes disappeared. Months later, I did a self-trial and came to find out it caused my awful acid reflux (so bad I was screaming and wrenching in pain), so it was a choice of off Synthroid totally or try Tirosint. My TSH and other levels are great and no more daily acid relux. Thank you, Tirosint!"

MaryChi (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was put on synthroid 1 year after telling my Endocrinologist (he was taking care of my type 1 diabetes) that I think I have low thyroid (it runs in my family). After a year he finally tested my TSH which was high and put me on Synthroid. My TSH came back fine but I told him my hair was still thinning, my nails were still brittle, my stomach was still swollen & I got every bug that was within 100 miles. I also developed total exhaustion and only left the house for doctor appointments. I went from 103lbs. to 130lbs. He put me on a higher dose and switched me to Levothyroxine (generic for synthroid) which caused rash & itching on face, then on rest of body, felt like a ball in my throat. Changing doctors now."

kitcat18 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levo-T (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "This is the first time receiving my Levothyroxine from this particular manufacturer. Same dosage I've been on for years but instead of blue, the pill is purple and has a strong odor that I've not noticed with the blue pills. It also has left a very metallic taste in my mouth which doesn't subside during the day."

Sandy638296 October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "The medicine isn't doing anything for me whether its 50mg or 100mg. My symptoms haven't improved at all."

Mary^3 September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "This medication makes me feel awful! Brain fog, insomnia, lightheaded, tried all the time. I am telling my doctor to change my medication or else I will see another doctor."

Bruinbear (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "This and the generic both caused lip swelling, irritation and redness. Looked like I had clown lips. Stopped taking both."

Barbjoy September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I don't feel it does anything. I have more headaches and insomnia. So I am telling my primary I am stopping it. If she doesn't agree I am stopping regardless"

Pamelapppp8 September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "I was on the 50mg levothyrixine for 6 months before that my dose was up and down from 100 to 125 to 75 then to 50. I was freezing all the time and sick. This went on for 14 years. Then 2017 I had kidney stone surgery and the doctor took me of the thyroid pill and my test results all were normal range. Now been off thyroid pill now having hot hot flashes like crazy. I am feeling tired with no energy some times. Now I sleep pretty good at night as before I didn't even sleep. I'm still having those Hot flashes at night. I am wondering if this is my body adjusting to being off the thyroid pill. I'm 74 100lbs when I was on the thyroid pill I kept losing weight but now since I'm off the pill I eat healthy but still can't gain a few pounds. My doctor says I need to get up to at least 115lb to be health"

Mats123 September 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on a low dose (25 mcg) of levothyroxine for just a week. I had been feeling a bit more tired than normal but didn't know my thyroid was underactive until my yearly check-up a couple weeks ago. I am 72, in good health and active. I am following my doctor's instructions to a T but am feeling a little bit shaky. I have heard that this is not abnormal and that it takes a few weeks to adjust to the medication."

BSUalum September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I have been great the last few months on synthroid until 2 weeks ago, started having chest pain, I can't take a breath, pulse is so low I can't find it."

Ticked off September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "Synthroid is only one of the four hormones produced by the thyroid. So it produces about the expected mediocre result. For me it was worse than mediocre, it was horrible, leaving me essentially bed-ridden for almost 3 years. This company has a bad record, and pressure is put on Docs to use this stuff exclusively. Why aren't we offered other options at the start??"

davetrindle (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "Doctors stuck me on this. Once my numbers were normal, they didn't care about the symptoms. Refused to change treatment."

Stfudjvpst September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I took synthroid for 10 years, I had severe insomnia so also took sleeping pills everyday, I was depressed to took anti depressants everyday, had high blood pressured so took drugs for that. I couldn't focus at work and just getting up in the morning felt like a chore In 2013, I switched to natural desiccated thyroid drugs (NDT). It felt like waking up from a bad dream. I'm no longer depressed, my sleep hasn't been this good in my entire adult life. It's like night and day, I wish more doctors gave their patients the opportunity to try solutions other then synthroid; because clearly, it doesn't work for everyone."

Millstream44 (taken for 10 years or more) August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "43 years old female, 5'7", 76 kg. I used to be 56 kg , and in a matter of 2 years I reached 80 kg after quitting smoking. I also had a plethora of other problems, amount which lethargy, extreme fatigue , depression . My doc discovered by accident my TSH was 10 , plus huge antibodies values. Started me at 50 mag Syntroid and I went up from there. I am now at 175 mcg , huge dose, and feel fantastic. My blood values are low,TSH , upper limit T4. I kind of talked my doc in increasing the dose.... as his choice was 125 mcg and I felt that was too low . I finally have the energy to go to the gym . I feel like my old self. I LOVE Syntroid and I hope he won't lower it for me ."

PatriciaP2017 August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I got a total thyroidectomy around 5 weeks ago following a small papillary carcinoma. No need for RAI so was started on 125mg/day of thyroid replacement pills (100mg levothyroxine and 25mg Sythyroid). I am feeling completely normal and can't notice any changes in energy etc since the surgery. Everything is going smoothly!!"

LuciNZ August 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "great product over levothyroxine I noticed improved energy Manufacturer coupon does not work still having to pay over $100 once I finish samples I will be going through my MD office"

Pharmacist Rx (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been taking Levothyroxine for 7 years, after being diagnosed in March 2010. I do have to take a particular brand of it though as the other brand give me a severe headache but luckily my pharmacist has my brand on his computer and that is the only one I am given. I am now on 150mcg and I have been constant on that dose for the last 2 years. My energy levels do plummet during the afternoon but my 'normal' thyroid colleagues do too!"

Alison1981 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on this medication for 5.5 years and at first I'd felt great. Things were going well until 3 years ago when I'd started having side effects. Weight gain every year (10 lbs) even though I'd worked out and ate pretty healthy, couldn't sleep, depression gotten worse, mood swings, some times I wouldn't have a period, extreme fatigue, brittle nails and muscle ache. Every time I'd taken blood work, the test came out fine. I'd gotten tested for everything else and nothing seems to work. Just recently, I'd started crying myself to sleep because of the mood swings. I'm also falling asleep while driving because no amount of sleep kept me up. I'd finally did more research because my Doctor only suggested two medication. I'm calling today."

Finally Changing Medication (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 26, 2017