User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Myxedema Coma 1 reviews 19 medications

Thyroid Suppression Test 2 reviews 19 medications

4.2
Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 399 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Levothyroxine

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I have been great the last few months on synthroid until 2 weeks ago, started having chest pain, I can't take a breath, pulse is so low I can't find it."

Ticked off September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "Synthroid is only one of the four hormones produced by the thyroid. So it produces about the expected mediocre result. For me it was worse than mediocre, it was horrible, leaving me essentially bed-ridden for almost 3 years. This company has a bad record, and pressure is put on Docs to use this stuff exclusively. Why aren't we offered other options at the start??"

davetrindle (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "Doctors stuck me on this. Once my numbers were normal, they didn't care about the symptoms. Refused to change treatment."

Stfudjvpst September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I took synthroid for 10 years, I had severe insomnia so also took sleeping pills everyday, I was depressed to took anti depressants everyday, had high blood pressured so took drugs for that. I couldn't focus at work and just getting up in the morning felt like a chore In 2013, I switched to natural desiccated thyroid drugs (NDT). It felt like waking up from a bad dream. I'm no longer depressed, my sleep hasn't been this good in my entire adult life. It's like night and day, I wish more doctors gave their patients the opportunity to try solutions other then synthroid; because clearly, it doesn't work for everyone."

Millstream44 (taken for 10 years or more) August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "43 years old female, 5'7", 76 kg. I used to be 56 kg , and in a matter of 2 years I reached 80 kg after quitting smoking. I also had a plethora of other problems, amount which lethargy, extreme fatigue , depression . My doc discovered by accident my TSH was 10 , plus huge antibodies values. Started me at 50 mag Syntroid and I went up from there. I am now at 175 mcg , huge dose, and feel fantastic. My blood values are low,TSH , upper limit T4. I kind of talked my doc in increasing the dose.... as his choice was 125 mcg and I felt that was too low . I finally have the energy to go to the gym . I feel like my old self. I LOVE Syntroid and I hope he won't lower it for me ."

PatriciaP2017 August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I got a total thyroidectomy around 5 weeks ago following a small papillary carcinoma. No need for RAI so was started on 125mg/day of thyroid replacement pills (100mg levothyroxine and 25mg Sythyroid). I am feeling completely normal and can't notice any changes in energy etc since the surgery. Everything is going smoothly!!"

LuciNZ August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "great product over levothyroxine I noticed improved energy Manufacturer coupon does not work still having to pay over $100 once I finish samples I will be going through my MD office"

Pharmacist Rx (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been taking Levothyroxine for 7 years, after being diagnosed in March 2010. I do have to take a particular brand of it though as the other brand give me a severe headache but luckily my pharmacist has my brand on his computer and that is the only one I am given. I am now on 150mcg and I have been constant on that dose for the last 2 years. My energy levels do plummet during the afternoon but my 'normal' thyroid colleagues do too!"

Alison1981 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on this medication for 5.5 years and at first I'd felt great. Things were going well until 3 years ago when I'd started having side effects. Weight gain every year (10 lbs) even though I'd worked out and ate pretty healthy, couldn't sleep, depression gotten worse, mood swings, some times I wouldn't have a period, extreme fatigue, brittle nails and muscle ache. Every time I'd taken blood work, the test came out fine. I'd gotten tested for everything else and nothing seems to work. Just recently, I'd started crying myself to sleep because of the mood swings. I'm also falling asleep while driving because no amount of sleep kept me up. I'd finally did more research because my Doctor only suggested two medication. I'm calling today."

Finally Changing Medication (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I've been taking this medication for years. It works very well in keeping my thyroid under control. I can always tell when I don't take it right especially when my blood is tested. I have learned that I need to take this medication in the mornings, because that is when it works its best."

Luvrofmusik (taken for 10 years or more) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Within minutes of taking pill I started itching like crazy and blister/boil like sores popped up . Stopped taking it for three days itching stopped and boils healed. Its may still have fillers in it"

B1966 July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Euthyrox (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I am taking Eutirox and too bad for me, I have noticed I am experiencing a lot of the side effects.I don t have any problems with allergies but I have redness swelling itchy eyes, swollen face etc...I used to use Eltroxin 100 but it s very hard to get ...eltroxin is so much better for me.. :("

spamless June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was on Synthyroid 50mcg and generic levothyroxine 50mcg. With both medications I had palpitations, heat intolerance, and severe insomina. Synthyroid was worse than levothyroxine. My TSH numbers were fine but I couldn't tolerate the insomina. The positive thing was that I lost 30 pounds. I was switched to Tirostint 50mcg& immediately could finally sleep. No more insomnia, no more palpitations, no more heat intolerance. I recently got my lab work back & I have a normal TSH, but I've started getting hypothyroid-like symptoms I used to have when I was no thyroid medication. So even though my TSH is normal and I can sleep, I am having weight gain, increased constipation, and hair line eczema. Alas I will try another brand!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hashimoto's disease: "I'm a 55-year old male, diagnosed with hypothyroidism on 8/30/16 (T4 lab 0.8 ng/dl). Started on Levothyroxine 50mcg at a weight of 226lb. On 11/10, T4 was up to 1.1 ng/dl (within normal range) and my weight was 224#. While taking the med, I experienced a dull headache in the morning along with terrible fatigue by midday. My PCP sent me to an Endocrinologist who increased the dosage to 75mcg in hopes of improving my T4 level and weight loss numbers. T4 was 1.3 on 3/10/17 but weight increased to 233#. With my Endocrinologist's approval, I stopped taking the med due to side effects and within a week the headaches and fatigue stopped and weight began to drop. Requested to try Armour instead but Endocrinologist is not a fan."

Too many side effects (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on synthroid for approx 10 years. Here are several points that I have learned: 1. You may initially start feeling better in a couple weeks but It takes MONTHS to see the full effects. 2. Depending on your TSH levels, your Dr should start you at a low dosage and gradually increase as needed. Starting with too high of a dosage is shock to your body and will even make you feel more tired as your body is working overtime. 3. See a Physician who is very familiar with thyroid issues. If you are not seeing positive results with family Dr. see an Endocrinologist! Many of the negative comments I have read may be a result of your Dr not understanding this disorder. 4. There are alternatives if this medicine is not working."

Jaybee63 May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "can not take this as I have all the side effects with this drug."

Anonymous May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levoxyl (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I love this brand the best. And yes I can tell the difference between generic brand. My short term memory is BAD. Mood, weight loss harder to get. Levoxyl works best. I'm glad my Dr. Listen to me."

Mslemontea27 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in November of 2016. Outside of lacking energy I was happy and healthy. They prescribed levothroxine 50 mcg. Since starting this medication I can't stop gaining weight, I have severe edema in my lower legs and joint pain. Doctor and pharmacist don't think these are side effects but nothing else has changed. I feel like I've aged 10 years in 6 months. I most likely will discontinue and suffer the effects of hypothyroidism rather than take this poison"

Luv cats n dogs (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Underactive Thyroid: "I first found out I had hypo thyroid 10/24 (OB checked bc I've been trying to conceive) TSH Level 8.7. After taking 50mg for 1month my TSH level went to 3.0. Unfortunately after that I started getting neg side effects such as constantly sleepy, unfocused & feeling really out of it, slight depression, & exhaustion. I hated it. A friend who was hypothyroid recommended taking Kelp Vitamins for the Iodine. I started taking 25mg Levo & my Kelp Vit daily. Jan 20 TSH was at 3.5 (Dr wanted me to stay on same 50mg prescription but I was still having negative side effects). Also had Vitamin D checked Jan 20 per friend recommendation & found out that was low too. So I STOPPED taking Levo, and ONLY took Vit D & Kelp Vit. Apr 18 levels checked again & TSH was 2.8 HALLELUJAH!"

Natural Way to Regulate! (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "After my thyroid surgery, I was put on Synthroid. I continued to get WORSE until I was nearly totally bedridden. I did some research and after several months, found a doctor who prescribed medications other than synthroid. I started taking a Natural desiccated thyroid (NDT) medicine. Within two weeks, I woke up and felt like getting out of bed. I continued to improve, however my strength never came back. I am totally confined to a wheelchair now."

JakeBuddy April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I have felt horrible for ten years since they removed my thyroid. I was told I didn't metabolize Synthroid properly. My doctor tried everything with negative results. I recently came across a published paper on the NIH website and it mentioned Tirosint. My doctor had never heard of it but she was willing to give it a try. That was two months ago and I have never felt better. I know the drug is expensive but there is a manufacturers coupon online. I ended up paying $35.00 but I would gladly pay full price. That's how good it is!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "After seeing my ob for some problems with menstruation, I was sent for about 10 different blood test to check my hormone levels. Let's just say that we found the source of my problem and I was referred to an endocrinologist. She wanted to repeat my TSH level cause she said that being at 3.65 was a little high for someone my age. So I went back within 4 weeks to get retested and my TSH was 10.36 and I was feeling it. I was so tired I could barely get out of bed. My headaches were out of control and I gained about 10 lbs in a months time. I just started 75mg Synthroid a few days ago so I'm feeling optimistic. I feel once we get my pituitary adenoma, thyroid and my vitamin D under control I'll be so much better. ADVICE: listen to your body."

ThisGurl (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For : "It kept me alive, barely. I struggled with depression, rage, mood swings, suicidal ideation, chronic lethargy, constipation and body aches, etc. for 30 years! I switched to natural dessicated thyroid and life is worth living now."

moriahnoelle (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hashimoto's disease: "When I take my Levothyroxine 0.075 mg as prescribed; on an empty stomach, preferably 1/2 to 1 hour before breakfast ; I have experienced stomach pain every time. The stomach pain has progressed to problems with diarrhea. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced stomach issues/irritability when taking this medication? The change seems to have occurred when they switched to the small purple pill with M on one side and L 6 on the other. When I was taking a round white pill these problems never occurred."

Nana Tanga April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I originally tried switching from 50 mcg of levothyroxine to 50 mcg of tirosint. Had horrible headaches and insomnia. I thought it was the med. Turns out this stuff is absorbed way better. I am now on my second trial of this medication only on 25 mcg and it is fabulous. I am slowly starting to feel normal again. And in only 2 weeks my labs are perfect. From what I have read starting the dose lower is best. I wish i would have done this my first try years ago cause I could have been feeling better a lot sooner. Levothyroxine and synthroid were AWFUL. Never felt good, was always depressed, irritable, teeth clenching, anxiety the list goes on. I will pay the price of tirosint to feel human! Praying things continue to get better."

Hashis (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017