User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, Tirosint-Sol, Unithroid …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Myxedema Coma

Thyroid Suppression Test
4.2

Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 6.6 425 reviews

Reviews for Levothyroxine

For Hashimoto's disease: "Amazing. Within a week - I wasn’t falling asleep at 6pm. And within a month : my TSH and t4 levels were back to within range"

Jewelzz678 January 15, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I'm taking Synthroid - its a horrible drug. I'm losing all my hair, headaches, insomnia, depression, fatigue, brain fog, etc.. This drug sucks I have no idea why doctors keep pushing this drug. I have a new insurance and Doctor hopefully I can start taking Armour If not I have no idea what's to come."

Lbjaz (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 13, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "First week on 50 Mcg of Levothyroxine has been great. I had undiagnosed Hypothyroidism for years, I became very lazy, tired and never felt like doing anything. I tried eating healthy, going running, but obviously nothing helped. I only been on for one week and already feeling better for the first time in years, a lift of brain fog and more energy, I don't feel so cold, my appetite is back, I enjoy food again. I have some bloating but I think this could be due to eating more. I really hope I can be my old self again"

StrawMan (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Thyroidectomy after cancer diagnosis and so far I've had not had great luck with synthyroid. Currently I'm on 112 mcg and it makes me feel like I have a itchy sunburn and the weight gain is insane I feel water logged in my legs most of the time and too many mental glitches. I dislike this drug it's has to many fillers that cause other issues. If you have a known allergies avoid synthyroid until they can create an allergy free version."

Batty1 January 3, 2018

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been taking this levothyroxine for about 5.5 years now and it has never made me feel any better than before I started . I have never lost weight and actually have gained ! I have no energy at all I in fact feel like I’m dying a slow death !! I have told my doctors over and over again that I don’t feel better and yet they continue to feed me this rubbish along with some supplements and still nothing works !! I have cried to the doctor about my symptoms and they tried to give me depression medicine which I refuse to take I am not a depressed person the only thing that brings me down is this medicine! I think I’m going to stop taking it all together ! This is absolutely despicable .. I have a feeling it’s this rubbish medicine ! There is not enough info about this disease !!"

Jen .. I feel like SHIT !! (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 30, 2017

For Hashimoto's disease: "Diarrhea"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been taking this medicine since I was 16 years old. I am now 55 and after reading all the reviews, I can't complain as much. I been on 112 mcg all my life. I am 5' 2" tall and weigh 155 pounds."

sweet pup December 8, 2017

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I used Synthroid (25, 50 or 75 for over more than 10 years, but had to use the original, not the generic because generic does not work in some people. I've not been operated, but for over 2 years I've been using NatureThroid (32.5) instead which was recommended by my ND and have to say that all my side effects that Synthroid caused, had gone. I almost lost all my hair and had terrible heart beats, headaches, joint pains, etc. I do not have hashimoto, and really don't know if it works for people with this condition, but I tried NatureThroid and I am very happy with the results."

Ayapliana December 6, 2017

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I've had my thyroid removed for over ten years now. I've taken generic thyroid medicine, Synthroid, and now Tirosint. The dye in my Synthroid kept me from getting regulated. My body responded well to Tirosint for about 5 consecutive years. Due to insurance changes, I got off of it last year and got back on this year when my physician made a few calls to assist me. To my dismay, Tirosint is not working for me, even with me taking Cytomel to help me digest and absorb it. I'm tired, have thinning hair, levels are at 8.999, and I'm sweating with every movement. I'm quite disappointed that I can't get regulated."

Drea C (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 27, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid: "My concentration and vision had been affected by this medication, both have became very poor, I was informed that the med had reduced my TSH to a more normal level. My dose is up to 125mcg. My energy levels are amazingly high but my muscle strength has weaken to the extent that my joints hurt a lot and keep me awake at night. It does not improve weight or alter state of hair and nails. Although tired and weak before I remember being happier than I am now. I have gained a lot of weight and anxiety since taking this med. I don't recognise my reflection anymore."

angelic upstart (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 26, 2017

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I switched over to Tirosint after taking levothyroxine for the past two years. It worked for me, I felt great and energetic. The only downside after switching is that I gained at least 10-15 lbs, and my face has gotten puffy I hate it. My insurance won’t cover the dose I’m on (150mcg) and it’s just way too expensive out of pocket. I believe my last refill was around $150, the pharmacy was able to bring it down to $113, which is still a lot for only a 28 day supply. I just switched to Armour Thyroid, (90mg). Hopefully that will help with the weight loss, it’s also NDT which is another good alternative if you prefer the natural route."

drread90 November 15, 2017

For Hashimoto's disease: "I was put on Levothyroxine about 6 months ago then sent for further evaluation and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. The levothyroxine has caused more inflammation. My right knee is so inflamed I wound up going for an MRI to find out why it hurt so bad. I stopped taking the levothyroxin and my knee started feeling better within two days of stopping. I also feel less swollen overall. I don’t think this drug helps at all and in my case just made me worse. I’m no longer taking it, it’s not worth it to be in so much pain. I’ll have to find an alternative way of dealing with my autoimmune issues."

CPandab November 14, 2017

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I've been on both and yes you have to see a Dr. who specializes in this disorder and you also have to take it one hour before you eat both levo and synthroid because I feel different I've done it taking after I ate and didn't work and then I followed the doctors orders take one hour before breakfast. I'm on 75mcg and my weight is doing great my levels normal if I keep on the medicine and take it like my doctor said to take it and I go to many different specialist's because I have many medical problems and I'm only 30 but this thyroid be thing started after I had my daughter so no do not take it at night after meals cuz your body will not absorb the medicine correct the medicine needs to be with a full glass of water and no food so it can work thru"

Jujubean30 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 27, 2017

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I had tried Armour thyroid, Synthroid DAW, compounded T3/T4, cytomel and Tirosint was able to control my TSH, T3 and T4 much more than the other drugs. I haven't needed to make many adjustments at all on the medication. I did lose a few pounds in the first month of switching to Tirosint as well."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 21, 2017

Levoxyl (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Some general ill feelings, feels a lot like I'm taking hydrocodone"

kamlchap (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 18, 2017

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "My doctor prescribed Levothyroxine for low thyroid and I had been feeling so tired and wiped out. Levothyroxine did help improve my numbers (TSH of 7.5 dropped to 4.5) but I felt awful on it. Everything hurt and I was so exhausted. After 3 months on Levothryoxine, I asked to try the brand name Synthroid. What a difference!!! It improved my numbers even more (same dose, TSH decreased to 1.75) and not only that, I felt better. I had energy. My experience is night and day. I know generics are supposed to be equivalent but I can tell you there is a difference. Synthroid brand works so much better than Levothyroxine. Recommended."

Dennise2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2017

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Levothyroxine 50mcg was prescribed. First time user. First day took only half. By mid day I felt hyperactive. Had difficulty falling asleep at night. 2nd day took 1 tab. Still felt overactive for the day. Still insomnia 3rd, 4th, 5th day heat intolerance set in. I had the airconditioner on all day and all night. 6th day, all were felt and at about 7pm severe headache was felt while at a party. Headache was so severe it felt like the pressure on my head was going to bust off my head. Cooled off by putting ice on my face which also made my glands swell, did not lower the pressure on my head. Took blood pressure reading when I got home. It was very high. I have never felt such pressure headache before in my life nor high blood pressure reading."

Bannered (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "After being diagnosed with Hashimoto's (awful ideopathic urticaria/welts from being touched), I was told to try generic Synthroid. My rashes disappeared. Months later, I did a self-trial and came to find out it caused my awful acid reflux (so bad I was screaming and wrenching in pain), so it was a choice of off Synthroid totally or try Tirosint. My TSH and other levels are great and no more daily acid relux. Thank you, Tirosint!"

MaryChi (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2017

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was put on synthroid 1 year after telling my Endocrinologist (he was taking care of my type 1 diabetes) that I think I have low thyroid (it runs in my family). After a year he finally tested my TSH which was high and put me on Synthroid. My TSH came back fine but I told him my hair was still thinning, my nails were still brittle, my stomach was still swollen & I got every bug that was within 100 miles. I also developed total exhaustion and only left the house for doctor appointments. I went from 103lbs. to 130lbs. He put me on a higher dose and switched me to Levothyroxine (generic for synthroid) which caused rash & itching on face, then on rest of body, felt like a ball in my throat. Changing doctors now."

kitcat18 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2017

Levo-T (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "This is the first time receiving my Levothyroxine from this particular manufacturer. Same dosage I've been on for years but instead of blue, the pill is purple and has a strong odor that I've not noticed with the blue pills. It also has left a very metallic taste in my mouth which doesn't subside during the day."

Sandy638296 October 3, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid: "The medicine isn't doing anything for me whether its 50mg or 100mg. My symptoms haven't improved at all."

Mary^3 September 29, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid: "This medication makes me feel awful! Brain fog, insomnia, lightheaded, tried all the time. I am telling my doctor to change my medication or else I will see another doctor."

Bruinbear (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 29, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid: "This and the generic both caused lip swelling, irritation and redness. Looked like I had clown lips. Stopped taking both."

Barbjoy September 28, 2017

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I don't feel it does anything. I have more headaches and insomnia. So I am telling my primary I am stopping it. If she doesn't agree I am stopping regardless"

Pamelapppp8 September 27, 2017

For Underactive Thyroid: "I was on the 50mg levothyrixine for 6 months before that my dose was up and down from 100 to 125 to 75 then to 50. I was freezing all the time and sick. This went on for 14 years. Then 2017 I had kidney stone surgery and the doctor took me of the thyroid pill and my test results all were normal range. Now been off thyroid pill now having hot hot flashes like crazy. I am feeling tired with no energy some times. Now I sleep pretty good at night as before I didn't even sleep. I'm still having those Hot flashes at night. I am wondering if this is my body adjusting to being off the thyroid pill. I'm 74 100lbs when I was on the thyroid pill I kept losing weight but now since I'm off the pill I eat healthy but still can't gain a few pounds. My doctor says I need to get up to at least 115lb to be health"

Mats123 September 23, 2017