User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Myxedema Coma 1 reviews 18 medications

Thyroid Suppression Test 2 reviews 18 medications

4.2
Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 330 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Levothyroxine

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "Love Tirosant..my hair is back and fingernails not broken anymore. Feel great. Was on Armour 6 years got hair loss and lost beautiful nails. Previous meds gave me heart palpitations and not able to sleep. This Med is the real deal, but too expensive"

Dtrx August 17, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Thyroid was removed 3 years ago due to hashimoto and nodule hyperplasia. Surgery discovered a substernal thyroid. Prior to surgery and attempts to reduce goiter with synthroid, felt terrible everyday. Multiple diagnosis due to muscle pain,fatigue, insonima, stomach upset, rapid heart beat, irrational blood pressure. Take synthroid every morning 1 hour prior to breakfast. Feel great. No negative side effects. All above symptoms are gone. Age 59!"

Dele August 16, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I've been on levothyroxine for a week. I feel great! No depression no chills no flaky scaly skin and tons of energy! I was extremely tired throughout the day. Freezing even though it's summer in Seattle. Severe dry skin to the point of embarrassment. My hair recently started to thin on my crown area. My legs had extreme cramping to the point I couldn't sleep at night. The most traumatic experience is my recent heart palpitations and dizziness feeling fatal during each episode. Now with all these symptoms... I decided medicine that causes hair loss outweighs the thought of dying young (39)- I will post another update seeing how it's only a week into it- so far- most energy I've felt in years, not cold at all, and no irregular palpitations."

Jb758175 August 14, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Diagnosed with Graves disease, my thyroid was radiated and destroyed. Put on synthyroid, took a while to get dosage right, but I have been on it for 8 years now and without it I would want to die. I take 100 mg a day and I set my phone alarm to go off same time every day so I won't forget it."

AmyBill August 13, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I've been on this medicine for almost, but not quite, 10 years. It is night and day comparing how I am now to how I was before I was diagnosed and treated for hypothyroidism. My hair loss has stopped, my skin and nails aren't as dry and brittle, I can think clearly most of the time and I have energy again. It took a while to get to the right dose, I've been both too low and too high. But I'm stable and feeling pretty decently now."

smg1900 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "For the first few years I had my OB/GYN monitoring my thyroid and adjusting my Levothyroxine… What a mistake! I never felt good and come to find out he was doing it wrong. Not doing the right test to monitor my levels and decreasing my dose when he should've been increasing. I started to see an endocrinologist and WOW! What a difference. He switched me to namebrand Synthroid only (which made a difference) and checks my levels twice a year to make sure I'm on the correct dose. I feel amazing for the first time in years!"

Bonnylee (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "After trying 3 different medicines and a countless number of dosage combinations we found out that my body was not absorbing the tablets properly and the gel capsules allow my body to absorb the proper amounts. After having thyroid cancer at 15 and not being able to find anything that really worked I'm glad we tried this. The only downside is the cost since it is almost triple what I have been paying for every other medications."

Joseyb August 1, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I feel awful! I have been on this drug for 6 weeks! I have so many side effects 1. Very tired ( no Energy) 2. Nausea 3. Headache 4. Can't sleep ( even if I take a sleeping) 5 Always feel Hot 6. Sweating 7. Clammy skin (have to the fan on on all the time) I live in Canada so it not that hot. Never felt so sick."

Teddykat July 31, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I had only recently started thyroid medication. Just 25mg of Levothyroxine.(My TSH was 5.43, I was told borderline) I took it for about 9 days. Then I felt a bit out of breath, I had a sort of pressure on my chest, sweating, trembling, palpitations and diarrhoea. I had a paramedic check me over and he suggested I go to A&E to be checked out. So an Ambulance was called. Anyway I had bloods taken and ECG's etc done and fortunately all was ok. But they think it was the Levothyroxine that had caused this. I have now stopped taking it."

Catherine/UK (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I'm hypothyroid and skinny as a rail and cannot even gain a single pound, 58 yo, 5'6" 88 lbs, thyroid damaged through radiation, have been on synthroid/levothyroxin 50 mcg daily, and I notice no change at all, still no energy, still totally exhaust 24/7,still losing weight like crazy with a relatively healthy appetite. However, since I totally trust my oncologist, I keep taking them."

dvdbrian July 19, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I am so frustrated. My endocrinologist keeps saying my labs are just right on 88 mcg daily of levothyroxine. But I am miserable since thyroidectomy 3 years ago. He originally had me on a higher dose but brought it down twice. I've gained 35 pounds, lost a lot of my hair, have constant headaches, vision problems, body aches and absolutely no energy! The doctor says it's not because of my thyroid meds and says there is no alternative medication and he will not increase the dosage either. I am increasingly depressed by this but don't know where to turn. I have also lost much bone mass but refused Prolia because of known side effects."

Lucinderella (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 15, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I can almost guarantee that most of these negative reviews are due to either 1. Taking the medication incorrectly (generic works for some not all), too close to food or iron,calcium, some antidepressants interfere) 2. Taking the incorrect dose 3. Not being consistent(must be close to the same time daily ) I had gone through many changes before finally getting it right. Seems to be working good after getting on brand name and taking it seriously."

John jacob July 9, 2016

Levoxyl (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Levoxyl has given me my life back. I did not do well on Synthroid or generics."

ThyroidMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on levo for a year and a half and I have experienced a few side affects tha are not mentioned when prescribed I have heart burn, acid reflux, brain fog, always tired all the time but I love this med it has my periods back to normal which is what I was hoping for so its worth the side affects before being tested I didn't have a period in 18 months."

Sunshine7191 July 7, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I am 22 years old and fairly healthy educated young woman. I had blood work done in August 2015 and found out my TSH was 60, so my doctor prescribed 50 mcg of levothyroxine. In January 2016, I had my TSH rechecked and it was down to 30. I continued to take the levothyroxine for a month and a half, from late January to the middle of March. During the time I was taking this medication, I felt so lethargic, I had terrible brain fog, and I was so bloated that I actually got stretch marks on my stomach! I have never been pregnant or even had sex, and I got stretch marks from being miserably bloated! Also, with the levothyroxine, I had the worst heart burn in my life. The acid reflux was so bad that I would get choked and start coughing from it."

DonnaBellaBonnie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 30, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have had trouble with my hypothyroidism for 40 years. The last 4 years it has been out of control.. can't keep my levels good. Fall asleep at the drop of a pin. Tired all the time. Doc put me on tirosint. At first I felt like a million bucks!! Then the panic attacks started, bad horrible cramps in my legs and feet. But the worst was feeling like I was in a constant state of DIVERTICULITIS!! I was eating pain meds and on antibiotics for weeks! Then I stopped taking it. it went away.. it has only been a couple of days... but my belly is feeling better, but my aneixty is still running at a 9.. along with the irritability."

Patty 857 June 23, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "This medication is used to treat low thyroid hormone levels. I have Hashimoto's. This is an autoimmune disorder where the body attacks the thyroid until it no longer functions properly. Many people with low thyroid hormone levels have this but are not aware because doctors tend to treat with the medication rather than the whole disease. A lot of the people posting claiming side effects are actually describing side effects of LOW THYROID or HIGH THYROID! The medication is simply a replacement hormone and will not make you constipated, have brain fog, anxiety, fibromyalgia, heart palpitations, etc. unless you are taking TOO MUCH or TOO LITTLE of the hormone. A lot of the negative reviews of this medication are absolutely ridiculous!"

Breeta (taken for 10 years or more) June 21, 2016

Levoxyl (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have been taking Levoxyl for 3 months and my blood tests have gone down from 110 to 65 it's still not normal still under active thyroid. Half my hair has fallen out in the 3 month period. My stomach hurts and the Dr said no Pepcid or antacids for 4 hours after taking the medication. My joints and muscles hurt all of the time and I have insomnia. I think I may be adapting to the meds as I no longer have to spend half the day in the bathroom. Diarrhea has lessened but stomach cramps persist. I was just told I need to increase the Levoxyl to 075 mg. I'm terrified I may end up bald with an ulcer"

Happy dog June 13, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on the edge of hypothyroidism but not fully diagnosed cause my TSH wasn't considered high enough to be classified but had most of the symptoms so I was given the low dose of a thyroid medication I was so sick, I ended up in the ER with a horrible migraine and throwing up for 14 hrs. My dr. switched me to Tirosint same dose as before and I have no side effects. I am finally feeling human I am not so tired, I am more alert and focused, my TSH level has gone to a much better level."

hbrady21 June 10, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "Thyroid was removed a year ago for papillary cancer, been on levothyroxine since. Gained 20 pounds on generic levothyroxine and felt awful, would wake up with a puffy face and eyes even though blood tests showed in range. My endo just switched me to tirosint and after one week I feel so much better. My face and legs are retaining less water, last time I felt this good was prior to my thyroidectomy. I have celiac and crohns which probably caused absorption issues. I also hate dairy and generic levothyroxine has a dairy base, go figure."

A12345123 (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I had my thyroid out in Feb. of 2016. I was put on 125mgr of generic Synthroid. My blood sugar was dropping below 50 on a daily basis. I looked the problem up on the internet and found that people had the same problem and advocated that I take the brand name drug to correct the problem. For the past two months I have been on the name brand and I seem to be leveling out in the high 60s with my sugar which is ok. I am stuck paying the extra charge not covered by my insurance. roughly $32 per month for 30 pills. Have had no weight gain yet which I am very happy about. I am going to ask my doctor at the end of this month to increase my dosage to bring my sugar up into the 80s or even 90s where it belongs."

Vinojack (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I hope that the FDA is reviewing & testing Tirosint. Thought I was going to die after only taking a low dose of Tirosint for a few days. Chest pains, extreme disorientation, very sick, could not stop crying. The hospital did not know what to do. My pharmacist suggested drinking lots of water to get it out of me, which I did. Nightmare experience!!!"

Hope this helps someone... (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "osteoporosis,heart valve problems,insomnia,anxiety,bone pain,mdd, levothyroxine is not a good medication does more harm than good"

jack889900w May 28, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "Original symptoms slightly decreased but side effects such as heart palpitations, sweats, hunger, weight gain, hand tremors, feelings of panic/stress, insomnia, acne, irritable/depressed make me question is it the drug or is it the dosage. Dr says higher dosage is needed. Endocrinologist says lower dosage is needed. Surely medicine for a complaint should be more clear-cut and less guesswork done by the medical profession. I'm told there is no other drug available to me for my hypothyroid problem."

MaryD3zzhttp://www.drugs.com/m (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "will ruin your life"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2016