User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Myxedema Coma 1 reviews 18 medications

Thyroid Suppression Test 2 reviews 18 medications

4.2
Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 340 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Levothyroxine

Levoxyl (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on it 1 mth. I have gain 14 pounds. My hair is starting to change for the better. The weight is so unhealthy. Any ideas?Please help."

miss sunshine September 24, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "My TSH levels were/are 4.9 which is borderline but still hypo. My T-3 & T-4 levels are normal. I was prescribed 50mg of Levothyroixine to be taken before breakfast. From the second day I felt so tired and lethargic that I could mostly just lay on the sofa. After four days I stopped taking it altogether. I emailed my doctor and asked him if taken the med every other day would be OK and he said to try it. But because I have to have energy and meet the public in my job I have not done that yet. I just can't take the fatigue/lethergy again. I still feel tired so I guess it is hypo but the med makes me feel worse. Such a dilemma. Any suggestions would be welcome as I see this as getting worse but with no solution."

surfside16 September 21, 2016

Unithroid (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I take it in the morning and with the help of my Dr. my numbers have been stable."

Shafett September 20, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I was switched from levothryoxine after experiencing hair loss to synthroid. Had extreme irritability on it & didn't seem to stop the hair loss. Only gave it about 3 weeks. The crankiness was not normal to me. Now back to Levothryoxine & will give it full 3 months & see if the hair loss stops."

tweety1207 (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was taking Levothyroxin 50mcg for the past 3 months. My initial tsh was 13 when I started Levo; within 2 months my tsh dropped to 2.5. Although my levels were normal, I continued to have some fatigue, sleepy upon waking, night sweats, facial flushing, anxiety, and horrible brain fog. I decided to try my sample of Synthroid 50mcg and within a week, the brain fog, night sweats and sleepiness were gone! I wake up with the most energy I have ever had! I am still experiencing some anxiety and facial flushing which we are monitoring but overall Synthroid is working for me! I am 32 y o and 9 months post partum. I also take my dose at nights, hours after dinner"

Kat_PK (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I have hashimotos/hypothyroid and have been on Tirosint after being on synthroid for the first 7 weeks of my diagnosis. I have been on it for 5 years and absolutely love it. No reaction as there are no fillers or dyes like the other synthetic drugs. Most recently my Doctor added a little T3 and I have never felt better."

FlowerChild101 September 7, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I take my medicine as prescribed, first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, (5:00 am) I do the regular blood test which my Dr says my levels are "ideal". While the levels may be ideal I am not. I have never felt so miserable in my life! I went to her and showed her all the side effects I was having that is listed from the pharmacy. She tell me "your levels are ideal". In the 9 months I have been on Levothyroxine 0.075 MG I am experiencing: excessive sweating, palpitations, joint pain, leg cramps, mood changes, muscle weakness, headaches, shortness of breath, my face has a tingling sensation at times, bloated, puffy around the face, lack of concentration, extreme fatigue, and huge weight gain 40 pounds! Is there something better?"

BJenn September 7, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "MUST be taken at night - and it absolutely seems to work for me. No more brain fog - and for someone who was always a go getter - the brain fog was devastating. No more night sweats either. Those were the worst."

LuckyGal84 August 30, 2016

Unithroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "My thyroid was removed in 1978 due to cancer. I started out on Armour but was eventually switched over to Synthroid. I have had no side effects from the drug and my doctor and I have been happy with the results. Frequent blood monitoring dictated that I alternate between 175mcg and 150mcg doses per day in order to fine tune my "numbers.""

Tom140721105 (taken for 10 years or more) August 26, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "Love Tirosant..my hair is back and fingernails not broken anymore. Feel great. Was on Armour 6 years got hair loss and lost beautiful nails. Previous meds gave me heart palpitations and not able to sleep. This Med is the real deal, but too expensive"

Dtrx August 17, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Had my thyroid removed at age 9 (cancer) 38 yrs ago. Been on Synthroid ever since then. My dosage has changed over the years. I am now on 150 mg (blue tablets) I have been getting a all over skin rash and itching for the last 4 months. After numerous tests my doctor told me it may be the dye in the blue 150 mg tablets. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I just switched today to take the 50 mg (white tablets with no dye) three times a day. I am hoping this was the problem."

angela f August 16, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Thyroid was removed 3 years ago due to hashimoto and nodule hyperplasia. Surgery discovered a substernal thyroid. Prior to surgery and attempts to reduce goiter with synthroid, felt terrible everyday. Multiple diagnosis due to muscle pain,fatigue, insonima, stomach upset, rapid heart beat, irrational blood pressure. Take synthroid every morning 1 hour prior to breakfast. Feel great. No negative side effects. All above symptoms are gone. Age 59!"

Dele August 16, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I've been on levothyroxine for a week. I feel great! No depression no chills no flaky scaly skin and tons of energy! I was extremely tired throughout the day. Freezing even though it's summer in Seattle. Severe dry skin to the point of embarrassment. My hair recently started to thin on my crown area. My legs had extreme cramping to the point I couldn't sleep at night. The most traumatic experience is my recent heart palpitations and dizziness feeling fatal during each episode. Now with all these symptoms... I decided medicine that causes hair loss outweighs the thought of dying young (39)- I will post another update seeing how it's only a week into it- so far- most energy I've felt in years, not cold at all, and no irregular palpitations."

Jb758175 August 14, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Diagnosed with Graves disease, my thyroid was radiated and destroyed. Put on synthyroid, took a while to get dosage right, but I have been on it for 8 years now and without it I would want to die. I take 100 mg a day and I set my phone alarm to go off same time every day so I won't forget it."

AmyBill August 13, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I've been on this medicine for almost, but not quite, 10 years. It is night and day comparing how I am now to how I was before I was diagnosed and treated for hypothyroidism. My hair loss has stopped, my skin and nails aren't as dry and brittle, I can think clearly most of the time and I have energy again. It took a while to get to the right dose, I've been both too low and too high. But I'm stable and feeling pretty decently now."

smg1900 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "For the first few years I had my OB/GYN monitoring my thyroid and adjusting my Levothyroxine… What a mistake! I never felt good and come to find out he was doing it wrong. Not doing the right test to monitor my levels and decreasing my dose when he should've been increasing. I started to see an endocrinologist and WOW! What a difference. He switched me to namebrand Synthroid only (which made a difference) and checks my levels twice a year to make sure I'm on the correct dose. I feel amazing for the first time in years!"

Bonnylee (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "After trying 3 different medicines and a countless number of dosage combinations we found out that my body was not absorbing the tablets properly and the gel capsules allow my body to absorb the proper amounts. After having thyroid cancer at 15 and not being able to find anything that really worked I'm glad we tried this. The only downside is the cost since it is almost triple what I have been paying for every other medications."

Joseyb August 1, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I feel awful! I have been on this drug for 6 weeks! I have so many side effects 1. Very tired ( no Energy) 2. Nausea 3. Headache 4. Can't sleep ( even if I take a sleeping) 5 Always feel Hot 6. Sweating 7. Clammy skin (have to the fan on on all the time) I live in Canada so it not that hot. Never felt so sick."

Teddykat July 31, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I had only recently started thyroid medication. Just 25mg of Levothyroxine.(My TSH was 5.43, I was told borderline) I took it for about 9 days. Then I felt a bit out of breath, I had a sort of pressure on my chest, sweating, trembling, palpitations and diarrhoea. I had a paramedic check me over and he suggested I go to A&E to be checked out. So an Ambulance was called. Anyway I had bloods taken and ECG's etc done and fortunately all was ok. But they think it was the Levothyroxine that had caused this. I have now stopped taking it."

Catherine/UK (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I'm hypothyroid and skinny as a rail and cannot even gain a single pound, 58 yo, 5'6" 88 lbs, thyroid damaged through radiation, have been on synthroid/levothyroxin 50 mcg daily, and I notice no change at all, still no energy, still totally exhaust 24/7,still losing weight like crazy with a relatively healthy appetite. However, since I totally trust my oncologist, I keep taking them."

dvdbrian July 19, 2016

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I am so frustrated. My endocrinologist keeps saying my labs are just right on 88 mcg daily of levothyroxine. But I am miserable since thyroidectomy 3 years ago. He originally had me on a higher dose but brought it down twice. I've gained 35 pounds, lost a lot of my hair, have constant headaches, vision problems, body aches and absolutely no energy! The doctor says it's not because of my thyroid meds and says there is no alternative medication and he will not increase the dosage either. I am increasingly depressed by this but don't know where to turn. I have also lost much bone mass but refused Prolia because of known side effects."

Lucinderella (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 15, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I can almost guarantee that most of these negative reviews are due to either 1. Taking the medication incorrectly (generic works for some not all), too close to food or iron,calcium, some antidepressants interfere) 2. Taking the incorrect dose 3. Not being consistent(must be close to the same time daily ) I had gone through many changes before finally getting it right. Seems to be working good after getting on brand name and taking it seriously."

John jacob July 9, 2016

Levoxyl (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Levoxyl has given me my life back. I did not do well on Synthroid or generics."

ThyroidMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on levo for a year and a half and I have experienced a few side affects tha are not mentioned when prescribed I have heart burn, acid reflux, brain fog, always tired all the time but I love this med it has my periods back to normal which is what I was hoping for so its worth the side affects before being tested I didn't have a period in 18 months."

Sunshine7191 July 7, 2016

For Underactive Thyroid: "I am 22 years old and fairly healthy educated young woman. I had blood work done in August 2015 and found out my TSH was 60, so my doctor prescribed 50 mcg of levothyroxine. In January 2016, I had my TSH rechecked and it was down to 30. I continued to take the levothyroxine for a month and a half, from late January to the middle of March. During the time I was taking this medication, I felt so lethargic, I had terrible brain fog, and I was so bloated that I actually got stretch marks on my stomach! I have never been pregnant or even had sex, and I got stretch marks from being miserably bloated! Also, with the levothyroxine, I had the worst heart burn in my life. The acid reflux was so bad that I would get choked and start coughing from it."

DonnaBellaBonnie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 30, 2016