User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Synthroid, Levoxyl, Tirosint, Levothroid, Eltroxin, Levothyrox, Euthyrox, Unithroid, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Oroxine, Eutroxsig, Novothyrox, Tirosint-Sol, Levotabs, Levotec, Evotrox …show all brand names

Myxedema Coma

Thyroid Suppression Test
4.2

Summary of Levothyroxine reviews 6.5 497 reviews

Reviews for Levothyroxine

For Underactive Thyroid: "So I have been taking levothyroxine for six weeks or so. I have been experiencing serious migraines, tremors in my hands, speech problems, sudden waves of exhaustion, sensitivity to heat, nausea, weight loss, food tastes terrible, ringing in my ears, and a whole lot of other things. I tried weaning myself off but ending up gaining a lot of weight. This medicine is the worse thing I've ever taken. Don't take it. Run far away."

Cris (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I have been taken Tirosint for a week and it makes me feel great! More energy, sense of well being and less water retention. I have no side effects until now. I am Italian and in Italy the price is 7.40 euro ( 8.30 $) for one month supply. I take a package with 30 (not 28!), 50 mg each. So I can't understand why you pay so much and I'm sorry for you."

Jenny (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I loved it for the first month. Then, I developed, agonizing headaches, and chest pains. Had to go to the ER, four times in pain. They could not do anything. Seven months later, I am still in pain, and have to go to a gastro specialist, to find out what is wrong in my stomach. It is really scary. I think it gave my some kind of ulcers in my stomach."

sorry (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2019

For Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Oroxine does not work and you usually get most of the side effects that they have listed on their CMI sheet - also Aspen is the only manufacturer of thyroid meds including generic brands. Oroxine is a T4 medication only- which doesn’t work. Aspen also make Tertroxin which is T3 but doctors either don’t know about it or won’t prescribe it for some reason - I have been on Oroxine for 8-1/2 years two years ago I was diagnosed with osteoporosis now stage 3 kidney disease - side effects of too high a dose of Oroxine - Aspen needs to do a customer survey to see how many people are struggling everyday by taking a medication that doesn’t work -"

Bobby (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 4, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: "Just started taking this medication seven days ago and I just can’t do it anymore. I was prescribed 25MG but since I’ve started taking this medication, I get headaches, have high blood pressure now, and have heart palpitations. This medication has the worst effects of any medicine I’ve ever been prescribed. It’s done more bad than good. I don’t think I can wait it out."

Mii (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "Same as the comments below. Tirosint is the only thing that has worked for me and I’ve been on it for 10 years....but I just went to pick up my first prescription in 2019 and found that even after jumping through the hurdles of getting my insurance to entertain covering it, they will only cover $30 of the $150 per month. It’s too unaffordable so I have no idea what I’m going to do now. Shame on this company for increasing prices when healthcare and insurance is already a joke."

Jen (taken for 10 years or more) April 13, 2019

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: "I'm so sorry to read all of the terrible experiences some people have had. I can only speak to my situation. I had my thyroid ablated about 5 years ago. It was absolutely the right & necessary thing for me. I am currently taking 88mcg Synthroid, daily. It works great for me. I'm extremely sensitive to meds, so my dr opted to start me on a low dose & check my levels every month until I got a "normal" result. It took a few months. I now am tested every year, but also go by how I'm feeling. My dr is very understanding. FIND A GOOD DR. This med has worked great for me. I'm able to maintain a healthy weight, my hair stopped coming out, my nails are stronger, I have plenty of energy. My other lab numbers are great. I hope this helps someone."

RD (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "After nature thyroid and armour seemed to not be working I was put on tirosint by my Endo. I felt great the first week or so but since then I’ve had heart palpitations, fast heart rate, swollen legs and ankles, hair falling out and in the short 2 months I’ve been on it, I put on 13lbs. While all these symptoms were going on my TSH was 0.20, which meant I was very hyperthyroid."

Pennypooh (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2019

For Hashimoto's disease: "Levothyroxine worked for about 1 month. I felt better when I first started taking it. My T4 numbers improved. Then, gradually, any benefits from this drug faded. After a year on Levothryroxine, I now feel terrible...sleepy, low energy, weight gain. All the familiar symptoms came roaring back. The doctor never tested my T3 levels. I found a new doctor, who told me long ago that Levothyroxine would not work, that some people do not convert T4 to T3, and she has prescribed Armour Thyroid. I start that tomorrow."

WW (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Was on low dose for 2 weeks developed rash, sore throat thought it was a virus after 2 more weeks developed severe headache, neck pain and dizziness. Stopped med 5 days ago still having issues but severe headache less. Not sure how long before all out of system."

Jaisa (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "A word of caution about levothyroxine - not all levothyroxine drugs are equal. I recently experienced a nasty episode with generic levothyroxine because the manufacturer changed the formula (replaced lactose with mannitol) which made me very sick for months (dizziness, nausea, over tiredness, chest pain and arrhythmia). It took a while to figure out since there was no communication of a "change" from the manufacturer. The switch to "Tirosint" was a life savior! Right away, the symptoms subsided. It is so important to check the excipients (=fillers). Tirosint has glycerin, water, levothyroxine, that's it! As an NTI drug (narrow therapeutic index), I would never risk the generic again. I was too sick and spend too much money with docs who couldn't find anything wrong with me! After doing research, I asked for just ask for the brand - I am so glad as it solved all of my "issues"!t""

Nath (taken for 10 years or more) March 14, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "Tirosint works fine and are gluten free which is important if you have Celiac Disease. However! The price of this drug went from $50. per month to $145. per month. Greed is ugly."

Jeannie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 12, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: " If you have been taking generic levothyroxine and have been experiencing extreme tiredness, chest pain, dizziness, nausea, headaches: find out if the formula contains mannitol (or other) and report it to the FDA. go to the FDA website Mannitol is not allowed in levothyroxine in France and Belgium because of its many sides effects!"

Nath (taken for 10 years or more) March 4, 2019

For Hashimoto's disease: "I feel that there is a slight improvement but it’s modest. My hair falls out bad with this med. I take 100mcg daily. It makes me agitated sometimes and I break out in hot sweats. Sometimes it feels difficult to take it. Heat intolerance during summer. I still feel sluggish. It’s not that great of a medication and I can’t wait to try amour."

Hashiwoman (taken for 10 years or more) March 2, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on generic levothyroxine for over 30 years at 112mcg per day. I felt ok but over the past couple of years, I had up and downs with it. Got really worse since January with dizziness, extreme tiredness and nausea....come to find out the manufacturers replaced the lactose ingredient by mannitol....our culprit. Did some research, mannitol is no longer allowed in France and Belgium because of its side effects. I asked my doc to switch me to Tirosint (pure form with no mannitol or dyes) and my symptoms have subsided! So far so good ... need to wait to 2 weeks to check my levels...I bet I may even have to lower my dose as I seem to absorb this one better ... I am thankful to the manufacturer of Tirosint as I feel so much better!"

Nath (taken for 10 years or more) March 1, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's a year ago and have had an underactive thyroid. I have spent years feeling very tired, irritable, depressed, no energy, no strength, no endurance, in a brain fog, crazy periods, joint pain, list goes on....overall not well. I was considered subclinical with TSH of 7 and my endocrinologist prescribed me 13mcg of Tirosint, the lowest dose. She said if it helps, great, but if not, I can stop taking it and try wait and see approach. I felt better the first day after taking the medication. I had a little more energy and was able to concentrate more than usual. I started a journal and each day I was noticing how much better I was feeling. Now it has been 4 weeks and I feel better than I have in years."

Frank (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: "I have been on Levothyroxine for 30 years and never had issues until recently. I am having dizziness, nausea, I am exhausted all the time and have all kinds of "hypothyroidism" symptoms while all along, my levels are fine. After doing some research, I find out that the makers have replaced one of the components (lactose) by "mannitol" and "citric acid" to prolong its shelf life....look up side effects of Mannitol: dizziness, hair loss, nausea, tiredness...and here is our culprit: Mannitol! In France, Merck had taken over the production of Levothyroxine and had changed its formula to Mannitol: thousands of patients started getting sick....the government got involved due to number of complaints of the side effects....makers were asked to revert to the original formula with lactose, but then came out with Tirosint instead which contains gelatin and glycerin instead of Mannitol."

Nath February 25, 2019

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "I was on Synthroid for 10 years. I was in so much pain in my joints, I couldn't function. This is a known side effect of this medicine. My numbers were where they were supposed to be per the doctors, but I still felt tired and my hair was still falling out. After my husband and I did research, we worked with my doctor and switched to Armour Thyroid. Within 6 weeks my pain was gone, I felt better. I wasn't tired and my hair was falling out. No matter what medicine you use - you know how you should feel. Do the research and work with your doctor. Only you know how you should feel. Don't depend on the doctor to tell you."

Wonttakesynthroid (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2019

For TSH Suppression: "Guess my rating of this synthetic absurdity of anything to do with the thyroid or lack thereof speaks for itself. Can't take natural, forced to take this ..stuff. Hands down a waste of what they TELL you its doing when you know it is not. Hey Doc..I know myself and my body far better than you. Thats the problem, push what doesn't work and then tell me what does work, doesn't. Seeking the natural BECAUSE it DOES work."

Foreverinbluejeans (taken for 10 years or more) February 7, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "Totally agree with Babs. My prescription price doubled, and now I cannot afford the medication. Not sure what happened starting in 2019 other than the company doubling the price and insurance companies refusing to cover the difference. My insurer dropped it from their covered prescriptions totally. Such a shame. This will really mess with those that depend on this medication."

Ash (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 7, 2019

Levoxyl (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "Taking Levoxyl for about 6 months, and unfortunately not working for me. The stomach pain is unbearable at times and unpredictable. Hair loss, spasms, vivid dreams, headaches, that horrid brain fog. (Hashimoto causes hair loss, including the medication. Make sure your iron levels are optimal.) These are just a few of a long list of side effects. Took synthroid for about 2 years and it worked to some degree, but hair loss was a nightmare and the lactose coating was a no for me-continuous digestive issues. Digestive issues with Levoxyl is enough to get me seek other treatment."

Me February 4, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine) for Hashimoto's disease: "The synthroid 75 stopped working after 11 years. I went back to unothroid as my PPO plan said I had to document response. It was awful trying to get out of bed, paying attention to my tasks, remembering where I filed or put stuff. I felt like my self was in another universe. The PPO Plan approved Tirosint and gradually the cloud lifted. I've been on the same dose for over a year and I've done well although there are times that I think I could do better based on the medication level. My problem is that in 2019 the price went for from $515 for a three month supply to $1,423 for a three month supply. So I guess I have to go back to higher levels of unithroid. So freaking sad."

Babs (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 23, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: "11 days ago I was prescribed 25mg of levothyroxine and it was bad from the start. I took it for 2 days straight. I got super hyper. The third day I thought I was dying. Tremors, hyperactivity, confusion and others I forgot. I actually got my last will and testament out and put it on the table. I called my internist that night and he told me to just take some sedative and go to sleep and take it every other day to further cut the dosage down. That helped a lot but I get anxiety and panic attacks along with insomnia. It also increased my blood pressure about 30-40 points along with increased heart rate. I always had low blood pressure (in the 100s) and blame it on the drug. I had no hypertension before taking this drug but the doctor does not believe me. The doctor just wants to put me on high blood pills to counter the side effect of levothyroxine. This drug is disgusting."

Ralph (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2019

Synthroid (levothyroxine) for Underactive Thyroid: "To be honest I'm not a person who has ever taken medications. So when my physician told me I had a under active thyroid I didn't really know what to think because I didn't feel as though I had any of the common symptoms. I just thought the symptoms the doctor mentioned were just normal ageing since I am 55 years old. I have been taking this medication now for a little over 4 months and have started to see some noticeable changes. 1) my hair stopped falling out. 2) nails started growing faster and stronger. 3) All around much more energy. 4) Able to focus better. So far I have been very happy with the results. I cannot give this a total 10 because everything has room for improvement."

Retazlaw (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2019

For Thyroid Suppression Test: "I started this for a thyroid condition. Once I started it about 3 days later I was having all my joints being sore so that I move. I stopped it and a few days later my joints were ok again???"

Jack January 18, 2019