User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Levothyroxine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Underactive Thyroid

"Doctors stuck me on this. Once my numbers were normal, they didn't care about the symptoms. Refused to change treatment."

Stfudjvpst September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I took synthroid for 10 years, I had severe insomnia so also took sleeping pills everyday, I was depressed to took anti depressants everyday, had high blood pressured so took drugs for that. I couldn't focus at work and just getting up in the morning felt like a chore In 2013, I switched to natural desiccated thyroid drugs (NDT). It felt like waking up from a bad dream. I'm no longer depressed, my sleep hasn't been this good in my entire adult life. It's like night and day, I wish more doctors gave their patients the opportunity to try solutions other then synthroid; because clearly, it doesn't work for everyone."

Millstream44 (taken for 10 years or more) August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "great product over levothyroxine I noticed improved energy Manufacturer coupon does not work still having to pay over $100 once I finish samples I will be going through my MD office"

Pharmacist Rx (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Levothyroxine for 7 years, after being diagnosed in March 2010. I do have to take a particular brand of it though as the other brand give me a severe headache but luckily my pharmacist has my brand on his computer and that is the only one I am given. I am now on 150mcg and I have been constant on that dose for the last 2 years. My energy levels do plummet during the afternoon but my 'normal' thyroid colleagues do too!"

Alison1981 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for 5.5 years and at first I'd felt great. Things were going well until 3 years ago when I'd started having side effects. Weight gain every year (10 lbs) even though I'd worked out and ate pretty healthy, couldn't sleep, depression gotten worse, mood swings, some times I wouldn't have a period, extreme fatigue, brittle nails and muscle ache. Every time I'd taken blood work, the test came out fine. I'd gotten tested for everything else and nothing seems to work. Just recently, I'd started crying myself to sleep because of the mood swings. I'm also falling asleep while driving because no amount of sleep kept me up. I'd finally did more research because my Doctor only suggested two medication. I'm calling today."

Finally Changing Medication (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I've been taking this medication for years. It works very well in keeping my thyroid under control. I can always tell when I don't take it right especially when my blood is tested. I have learned that I need to take this medication in the mornings, because that is when it works its best."

Luvrofmusik (taken for 10 years or more) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "Within minutes of taking pill I started itching like crazy and blister/boil like sores popped up . Stopped taking it for three days itching stopped and boils healed. Its may still have fillers in it"

B1966 July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I have been on synthroid for approx 10 years. Here are several points that I have learned: 1. You may initially start feeling better in a couple weeks but It takes MONTHS to see the full effects. 2. Depending on your TSH levels, your Dr should start you at a low dosage and gradually increase as needed. Starting with too high of a dosage is shock to your body and will even make you feel more tired as your body is working overtime. 3. See a Physician who is very familiar with thyroid issues. If you are not seeing positive results with family Dr. see an Endocrinologist! Many of the negative comments I have read may be a result of your Dr not understanding this disorder. 4. There are alternatives if this medicine is not working."

Jaybee63 May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in November of 2016. Outside of lacking energy I was happy and healthy. They prescribed levothroxine 50 mcg. Since starting this medication I can't stop gaining weight, I have severe edema in my lower legs and joint pain. Doctor and pharmacist don't think these are side effects but nothing else has changed. I feel like I've aged 10 years in 6 months. I most likely will discontinue and suffer the effects of hypothyroidism rather than take this poison"

Luv cats n dogs (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I first found out I had hypo thyroid 10/24 (OB checked bc I've been trying to conceive) TSH Level 8.7. After taking 50mg for 1month my TSH level went to 3.0. Unfortunately after that I started getting neg side effects such as constantly sleepy, unfocused & feeling really out of it, slight depression, & exhaustion. I hated it. A friend who was hypothyroid recommended taking Kelp Vitamins for the Iodine. I started taking 25mg Levo & my Kelp Vit daily. Jan 20 TSH was at 3.5 (Dr wanted me to stay on same 50mg prescription but I was still having negative side effects). Also had Vitamin D checked Jan 20 per friend recommendation & found out that was low too. So I STOPPED taking Levo, and ONLY took Vit D & Kelp Vit. Apr 18 levels checked again & TSH was 2.8 HALLELUJAH!"

Natural Way to Regulate! (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "After seeing my ob for some problems with menstruation, I was sent for about 10 different blood test to check my hormone levels. Let's just say that we found the source of my problem and I was referred to an endocrinologist. She wanted to repeat my TSH level cause she said that being at 3.65 was a little high for someone my age. So I went back within 4 weeks to get retested and my TSH was 10.36 and I was feeling it. I was so tired I could barely get out of bed. My headaches were out of control and I gained about 10 lbs in a months time. I just started 75mg Synthroid a few days ago so I'm feeling optimistic. I feel once we get my pituitary adenoma, thyroid and my vitamin D under control I'll be so much better. ADVICE: listen to your body."

ThisGurl (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am from HK & have been on this Levothyroxine(Actavis brand) since Dec2016(when 1st diagnosed for Hypothyroidism). 2 months down the line feel no side effects.Its like just popping the pill.. which I want to stop. 1-2 weeks Initially had insomnia and palpitations as a side effect.Can I stop it over all? Am also taking Amlodipine for my hypertension with BP levels now at near normal level of 130/76 average.Weight lost from 83Kgs no now 75Kgs average."

Kalpesh_HK (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Always feel like shyt. 20 years on this medication could not understand why I am not any better. Did my own research and found that it has GLUTEN in it. All this time taking med. that helps me be more sick. Not to mention weight gain it made me look puffy face hands swell just as if I was ingesting GLUTEN!!!! I was. If you have Celiac or IBS Don't take this."

ThatGirl1986 (taken for 10 years or more) February 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "My doctor switched me on Monday to Tirosint from levoxoryn and after 4 days I going back to my old medicine and I thank God I still have some because I can't go another day with this headaches, fatigue and muscle aches. I've been on levoxyl, thinthroid and levoxoryn and none have made me feel this horrible. I was planning on dealing with it to see if the symptoms would go away but I work doing payroll and taxes and this medicine is making me work real slow and making errors so I don't have the luxury to wait and see if in time I feel better. What I don't understand from what I've been reading this is a more pure form of levoxyl so if he's giving the same dosage wouldn't it mean he's over medicating me? I haven't talked to him yet."

Belle209 (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this drug for more than two years 0.75 MGM it has not helped me with anything but keep my levels normal. My hair still falls out, I can't loose weight, my heart still flutters. I still don't slept well, my nails are brittle. What does this drug do for you? I have yet to find out... Think I will try another brand."

Vernal Gal (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Weight gain"

Margaretx January 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on levothyroxine for 2 weeks now. I tested negative for hashimotos but I do have multi nodular goiter. The doctor told me that it may take a few weeks to feel better. Two days after taking this medication I felt a tremendous difference! I'm not tired all the time, cravings for carbs went away, I don't feel depressed and I feel more like myself than I have in years! I'm losing a lot of weight but I have completely changed my diet as well. I don't eat any processed foods anymore and it's been incredibly easy to do. I'm thankful for this medication because after 4 years of suffering with hypothyroidism without knowing what was wrong in the first place was awful."

Kcw323 (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am still experiencing hot flashes, tired, no energy all the time, sleep 12 to 14 hours. Doc won't increase me currently on 50mg I need a heck of a lot more I believe"

B.boo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started with levothyroxine about 3 months ago , before that I had no energy at all I felt bad. Right after I took it , I felt much better however now 3 month later, my joints are hurting badly especially at night. I called a compounding pharmacy , where I get a compounded HRT cream from and he said that thyroid meds can alter hormones , so he suggested I try Nature Thyroid 1 grain ,( whatever that means) so I am going to the Dr and asking about that . it is made from pigs which is a bummer , since I tried to be vegan......"

palt January 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"been on levothyroxine for about 5 months. initially 50mcg. After about a week or two, I immediately felt better. "brain fog" was decreased, I felt Alot less tired, a lot less cd. also, I lost a significant amount of weight (I put on a lot due to an undiagnosed autoimmune thyroiditis). I'd say the worst side effect of this is the massive hair loss initially. and my hair was tangled so easily. I am now on a maintanence dose of 100mcg. have bought myself a decent hairbrush and I feel a lot better."

catherinekennedy January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking .075mg for at least 2 years. No bad side effects. No weight gain or loss. I would say the only difference I notice is no more afternoon fatigue. This medicine takes awhile to start working. I do believe it should be taking as said. ( half hour before meal ) which I don't always follow. My dose has recently been increased to 0.1 MG. I am going to do my best to follow the directions now....half hour before meal at breakfast."

Dabeachman January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After taking levothyroxine for 20 days, I developed rashes all over my body, extremely itchy. Skin biopsy confirmed its drug allergy and levothyroxine was the only drug I was taking at that time. It was lechinoid drug eruption which took me 2 months to come out of it."

Achu S December 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took levothyroxine for 32 years. In last 3 years, the weight gain, bloat, insomnia and overall funk became unbearable. Saw everyone is having similar trouble. Quit, cold turkey, 2.5 months ago. Feeling much better, immediately began losing weight. They say stopping was supposed to be dangerous, but I had no issues. Am not taking any other supplements."

PumpkinP1e December 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Synthroid makes my eyes have a burning sensation."

Sannee (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tried 25.50 .75 .125,doctor changes amount like no mans bussness. Mercury.Actavis,Whochatdt. All seem to have bad side effects. I'm sick of headaches.nausea on a good day tremors.heart palpitations.jittery.etc on a bad day.which seem to be 5/7 days a week. I don't want to poison my body anymore but I've been scared into taking it .I think I'm scared of coma, not dying just a coma What else can I / we try. I know I am not alone."

hate levothyroxin November 24, 2016