User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Levothyroxine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 57 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Underactive Thyroid

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "After seeing my ob for some problems with menstruation, I was sent for about 10 different blood test to check my hormone levels. Let's just say that we found the source of my problem and I was referred to an endocrinologist. She wanted to repeat my TSH level cause she said that being at 3.65 was a little high for someone my age. So I went back within 4 weeks to get retested and my TSH was 10.36 and I was feeling it. I was so tired I could barely get out of bed. My headaches were out of control and I gained about 10 lbs in a months time. I just started 75mg Synthroid a few days ago so I'm feeling optimistic. I feel once we get my pituitary adenoma, thyroid and my vitamin D under control I'll be so much better. ADVICE: listen to your body."

ThisGurl (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am from HK & have been on this Levothyroxine(Actavis brand) since Dec2016(when 1st diagnosed for Hypothyroidism). 2 months down the line feel no side effects.Its like just popping the pill.. which I want to stop. 1-2 weeks Initially had insomnia and palpitations as a side effect.Can I stop it over all? Am also taking Amlodipine for my hypertension with BP levels now at near normal level of 130/76 average.Weight lost from 83Kgs no now 75Kgs average."

Kalpesh_HK (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Always feel like shyt. 20 years on this medication could not understand why I am not any better. Did my own research and found that it has GLUTEN in it. All this time taking med. that helps me be more sick. Not to mention weight gain it made me look puffy face hands swell just as if I was ingesting GLUTEN!!!! I was. If you have Celiac or IBS Don't take this."

ThatGirl1986 (taken for 10 years or more) February 12, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "My doctor switched me on Monday to Tirosint from levoxoryn and after 4 days I going back to my old medicine and I thank God I still have some because I can't go another day with this headaches, fatigue and muscle aches. I've been on levoxyl, thinthroid and levoxoryn and none have made me feel this horrible. I was planning on dealing with it to see if the symptoms would go away but I work doing payroll and taxes and this medicine is making me work real slow and making errors so I don't have the luxury to wait and see if in time I feel better. What I don't understand from what I've been reading this is a more pure form of levoxyl so if he's giving the same dosage wouldn't it mean he's over medicating me? I haven't talked to him yet."

Belle209 (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking this drug for more than two years 0.75 MGM it has not helped me with anything but keep my levels normal. My hair still falls out, I can't loose weight, my heart still flutters. I still don't slept well, my nails are brittle. What does this drug do for you? I have yet to find out... Think I will try another brand."

Vernal Gal (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 25, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Weight gain"

Margaretx January 24, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on levothyroxine for 2 weeks now. I tested negative for hashimotos but I do have multi nodular goiter. The doctor told me that it may take a few weeks to feel better. Two days after taking this medication I felt a tremendous difference! I'm not tired all the time, cravings for carbs went away, I don't feel depressed and I feel more like myself than I have in years! I'm losing a lot of weight but I have completely changed my diet as well. I don't eat any processed foods anymore and it's been incredibly easy to do. I'm thankful for this medication because after 4 years of suffering with hypothyroidism without knowing what was wrong in the first place was awful."

Kcw323 (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2017

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am still experiencing hot flashes, tired, no energy all the time, sleep 12 to 14 hours. Doc won't increase me currently on 50mg I need a heck of a lot more I believe"

B.boo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 11, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just started with levothyroxine about 3 months ago , before that I had no energy at all I felt bad. Right after I took it , I felt much better however now 3 month later, my joints are hurting badly especially at night. I called a compounding pharmacy , where I get a compounded HRT cream from and he said that thyroid meds can alter hormones , so he suggested I try Nature Thyroid 1 grain ,( whatever that means) so I am going to the Dr and asking about that . it is made from pigs which is a bummer , since I tried to be vegan......"

palt January 10, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"been on levothyroxine for about 5 months. initially 50mcg. After about a week or two, I immediately felt better. "brain fog" was decreased, I felt Alot less tired, a lot less cd. also, I lost a significant amount of weight (I put on a lot due to an undiagnosed autoimmune thyroiditis). I'd say the worst side effect of this is the massive hair loss initially. and my hair was tangled so easily. I am now on a maintanence dose of 100mcg. have bought myself a decent hairbrush and I feel a lot better."

catherinekennedy January 7, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking .075mg for at least 2 years. No bad side effects. No weight gain or loss. I would say the only difference I notice is no more afternoon fatigue. This medicine takes awhile to start working. I do believe it should be taking as said. ( half hour before meal ) which I don't always follow. My dose has recently been increased to 0.1 MG. I am going to do my best to follow the directions now....half hour before meal at breakfast."

Dabeachman January 5, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After taking levothyroxine for 20 days, I developed rashes all over my body, extremely itchy. Skin biopsy confirmed its drug allergy and levothyroxine was the only drug I was taking at that time. It was lechinoid drug eruption which took me 2 months to come out of it."

Achu S December 20, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took levothyroxine for 32 years. In last 3 years, the weight gain, bloat, insomnia and overall funk became unbearable. Saw everyone is having similar trouble. Quit, cold turkey, 2.5 months ago. Feeling much better, immediately began losing weight. They say stopping was supposed to be dangerous, but I had no issues. Am not taking any other supplements."

PumpkinP1e December 12, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Synthroid makes my eyes have a burning sensation."

Sannee (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Tried 25.50 .75 .125,doctor changes amount like no mans bussness. Mercury.Actavis,Whochatdt. All seem to have bad side effects. I'm sick of headaches.nausea on a good day tremors.heart palpitations.jittery.etc on a bad day.which seem to be 5/7 days a week. I don't want to poison my body anymore but I've been scared into taking it .I think I'm scared of coma, not dying just a coma What else can I / we try. I know I am not alone."

hate levothyroxin November 24, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on Levothroxine for about 8 months now, with vaying degrees of success. My doctor told me it was becasue it wasn't absorbing properly. You MUST take it on a completely empty stomach. In the morning after 8-10 hrs of fasting. If you follow this rule you will find the drug works as it''s supposed to. It changed for me and I lost the weight I had gained."

Daey November 15, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism on the last days of October of this year.. My doctor prescribed me 50mcg levothyroxine distributed by Mylan. I was only on the medication for 3 days! The medicine made me so fatigued and tired I could hardly go through my day without wanting to pass out and go to sleep. And not only that but my chest was feeling really uncomfortable. It felt like someone had put 20 pounds on my chest and overall having difficulty taking a deep breathe. My doctor then prescribed me the brand name Synthroid with only 25mcg. I had energy like I havent had in a year, but on the third day i was having shortness of breath, my heart was beating so hard& fast &I felt so lightheaded. Seriously, scariest experience i have had."

bbynekomata (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had really brittle nails and was tired all of the time. I went to my doctors and she did a T4 blood test and found that I had hypothyroidism and she put me on Levothyroxine and within a month my hair and nails were less brittle and more soft. I am happy to have the energy to do things as well as have my soft hair and strong and fast growing nails back!"

Smalm November 3, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I was falling a sleep every time I sat down - even at the computer, rocking a baby, in a car ride. I was trying to lose weight, but gaining instead. Someone would touch me and I would start sweating. I am 58. I have been on Synthroid (not generic) for 6 days now. I too am feeling a whole lot better. I was at 202 lbs 10 days ago. Today I am at 187.6 lbs. I did fall a sleep at the computer again last night, but my energy level is coming back."

ccgv6 October 23, 2016

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on levothyroxine and I hate it. Palpitations. fast heart. .nausea fatigue .headaches. insomnia .tremors irritable.deppression. I cant understand why doctors don't really care. You get told you need levo.no other medication.just that one.why? There must be more out there.? In UK .no decent choice. Do doctors get paid more for giving levo only. I was so ill on this horrible thing I went to A-E. Too much levo only was on 75."

levohopeless October 17, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"i have been on levothyroxine for several years. my dosage has been adjusted several times. I had a terrible experience with the higher dosage...migraine headaches, palputations, night sweats. come to find out that i was actually having a reaction to the dye in the higher dosage. Once that was figured out my doctor put me back on the 50 mcg and had me take two pills each day. so far its been great."

tazika October 13, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrible medication, took it for 3 days and caused me severe chest pains, and shortness of breath, ended up in the ER 3 times in one week. Horrendous experience."

Ratona (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Levoxyl (levothyroxine): "I have been on it 1 mth. I have gain 14 pounds. My hair is starting to change for the better. The weight is so unhealthy. Any ideas?Please help."

miss sunshine September 24, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My TSH levels were/are 4.9 which is borderline but still hypo. My T-3 & T-4 levels are normal. I was prescribed 50mg of Levothyroixine to be taken before breakfast. From the second day I felt so tired and lethargic that I could mostly just lay on the sofa. After four days I stopped taking it altogether. I emailed my doctor and asked him if taken the med every other day would be OK and he said to try it. But because I have to have energy and meet the public in my job I have not done that yet. I just can't take the fatigue/lethergy again. I still feel tired so I guess it is hypo but the med makes me feel worse. Such a dilemma. Any suggestions would be welcome as I see this as getting worse but with no solution."

surfside16 September 21, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was switched from levothryoxine after experiencing hair loss to synthroid. Had extreme irritability on it & didn't seem to stop the hair loss. Only gave it about 3 weeks. The crankiness was not normal to me. Now back to Levothryoxine & will give it full 3 months & see if the hair loss stops."

tweety1207 (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016