User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Levothyroxine Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 57 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Underactive Thyroid

"I am still experiencing hot flashes, tired, no energy all the time, sleep 12 to 14 hours. Doc won't increase me currently on 50mg I need a heck of a lot more I believe"

B.boo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 11, 2017

"I just started with levothyroxine about 3 months ago , before that I had no energy at all I felt bad. Right after I took it , I felt much better however now 3 month later, my joints are hurting badly especially at night. I called a compounding pharmacy , where I get a compounded HRT cream from and he said that thyroid meds can alter hormones , so he suggested I try Nature Thyroid 1 grain ,( whatever that means) so I am going to the Dr and asking about that . it is made from pigs which is a bummer , since I tried to be vegan......"

palt January 10, 2017

"been on levothyroxine for about 5 months. initially 50mcg. After about a week or two, I immediately felt better. "brain fog" was decreased, I felt Alot less tired, a lot less cd. also, I lost a significant amount of weight (I put on a lot due to an undiagnosed autoimmune thyroiditis). I'd say the worst side effect of this is the massive hair loss initially. and my hair was tangled so easily. I am now on a maintanence dose of 100mcg. have bought myself a decent hairbrush and I feel a lot better."

catherinekennedy January 7, 2017

"I have been taking .075mg for at least 2 years. No bad side effects. No weight gain or loss. I would say the only difference I notice is no more afternoon fatigue. This medicine takes awhile to start working. I do believe it should be taking as said. ( half hour before meal ) which I don't always follow. My dose has recently been increased to 0.1 MG. I am going to do my best to follow the directions now....half hour before meal at breakfast."

Dabeachman January 5, 2017

"After taking levothyroxine for 20 days, I developed rashes all over my body, extremely itchy. Skin biopsy confirmed its drug allergy and levothyroxine was the only drug I was taking at that time. It was lechinoid drug eruption which took me 2 months to come out of it."

Achu S December 20, 2016

"Took levothyroxine for 32 years. In last 3 years, the weight gain, bloat, insomnia and overall funk became unbearable. Saw everyone is having similar trouble. Quit, cold turkey, 2.5 months ago. Feeling much better, immediately began losing weight. They say stopping was supposed to be dangerous, but I had no issues. Am not taking any other supplements."

PumpkinP1e December 12, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Synthroid makes my eyes have a burning sensation."

Sannee (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2016

"Tried 25.50 .75 .125,doctor changes amount like no mans bussness. Mercury.Actavis,Whochatdt. All seem to have bad side effects. I'm sick of headaches.nausea on a good day tremors.heart palpitations.jittery.etc on a bad day.which seem to be 5/7 days a week. I don't want to poison my body anymore but I've been scared into taking it .I think I'm scared of coma, not dying just a coma What else can I / we try. I know I am not alone."

hate levothyroxin November 24, 2016

"I've been on Levothroxine for about 8 months now, with vaying degrees of success. My doctor told me it was becasue it wasn't absorbing properly. You MUST take it on a completely empty stomach. In the morning after 8-10 hrs of fasting. If you follow this rule you will find the drug works as it''s supposed to. It changed for me and I lost the weight I had gained."

Daey November 15, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism on the last days of October of this year.. My doctor prescribed me 50mcg levothyroxine distributed by Mylan. I was only on the medication for 3 days! The medicine made me so fatigued and tired I could hardly go through my day without wanting to pass out and go to sleep. And not only that but my chest was feeling really uncomfortable. It felt like someone had put 20 pounds on my chest and overall having difficulty taking a deep breathe. My doctor then prescribed me the brand name Synthroid with only 25mcg. I had energy like I havent had in a year, but on the third day i was having shortness of breath, my heart was beating so hard& fast &I felt so lightheaded. Seriously, scariest experience i have had."

bbynekomata (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

"I had really brittle nails and was tired all of the time. I went to my doctors and she did a T4 blood test and found that I had hypothyroidism and she put me on Levothyroxine and within a month my hair and nails were less brittle and more soft. I am happy to have the energy to do things as well as have my soft hair and strong and fast growing nails back!"

Smalm November 3, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I was falling a sleep every time I sat down - even at the computer, rocking a baby, in a car ride. I was trying to lose weight, but gaining instead. Someone would touch me and I would start sweating. I am 58. I have been on Synthroid (not generic) for 6 days now. I too am feeling a whole lot better. I was at 202 lbs 10 days ago. Today I am at 187.6 lbs. I did fall a sleep at the computer again last night, but my energy level is coming back."

ccgv6 October 23, 2016

"I have been on levothyroxine and I hate it. Palpitations. fast heart. .nausea fatigue .headaches. insomnia .tremors irritable.deppression. I cant understand why doctors don't really care. You get told you need levo.no other medication.just that one.why? There must be more out there.? In UK .no decent choice. Do doctors get paid more for giving levo only. I was so ill on this horrible thing I went to A-E. Too much levo only was on 75."

levohopeless October 17, 2016

"i have been on levothyroxine for several years. my dosage has been adjusted several times. I had a terrible experience with the higher dosage...migraine headaches, palputations, night sweats. come to find out that i was actually having a reaction to the dye in the higher dosage. Once that was figured out my doctor put me back on the 50 mcg and had me take two pills each day. so far its been great."

tazika October 13, 2016

"Horrible medication, took it for 3 days and caused me severe chest pains, and shortness of breath, ended up in the ER 3 times in one week. Horrendous experience."

Ratona (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2016

Levoxyl (levothyroxine): "I have been on it 1 mth. I have gain 14 pounds. My hair is starting to change for the better. The weight is so unhealthy. Any ideas?Please help."

miss sunshine September 24, 2016

"My TSH levels were/are 4.9 which is borderline but still hypo. My T-3 & T-4 levels are normal. I was prescribed 50mg of Levothyroixine to be taken before breakfast. From the second day I felt so tired and lethargic that I could mostly just lay on the sofa. After four days I stopped taking it altogether. I emailed my doctor and asked him if taken the med every other day would be OK and he said to try it. But because I have to have energy and meet the public in my job I have not done that yet. I just can't take the fatigue/lethergy again. I still feel tired so I guess it is hypo but the med makes me feel worse. Such a dilemma. Any suggestions would be welcome as I see this as getting worse but with no solution."

surfside16 September 21, 2016

"I was switched from levothryoxine after experiencing hair loss to synthroid. Had extreme irritability on it & didn't seem to stop the hair loss. Only gave it about 3 weeks. The crankiness was not normal to me. Now back to Levothryoxine & will give it full 3 months & see if the hair loss stops."

tweety1207 (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I was taking Levothyroxin 50mcg for the past 3 months. My initial tsh was 13 when I started Levo; within 2 months my tsh dropped to 2.5. Although my levels were normal, I continued to have some fatigue, sleepy upon waking, night sweats, facial flushing, anxiety, and horrible brain fog. I decided to try my sample of Synthroid 50mcg and within a week, the brain fog, night sweats and sleepiness were gone! I wake up with the most energy I have ever had! I am still experiencing some anxiety and facial flushing which we are monitoring but overall Synthroid is working for me! I am 32 y o and 9 months post partum. I also take my dose at nights, hours after dinner"

Kat_PK (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2016

"I take my medicine as prescribed, first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, (5:00 am) I do the regular blood test which my Dr says my levels are "ideal". While the levels may be ideal I am not. I have never felt so miserable in my life! I went to her and showed her all the side effects I was having that is listed from the pharmacy. She tell me "your levels are ideal". In the 9 months I have been on Levothyroxine 0.075 MG I am experiencing: excessive sweating, palpitations, joint pain, leg cramps, mood changes, muscle weakness, headaches, shortness of breath, my face has a tingling sensation at times, bloated, puffy around the face, lack of concentration, extreme fatigue, and huge weight gain 40 pounds! Is there something better?"

BJenn September 7, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "MUST be taken at night - and it absolutely seems to work for me. No more brain fog - and for someone who was always a go getter - the brain fog was devastating. No more night sweats either. Those were the worst."

LuckyGal84 August 30, 2016

"I've been on levothyroxine for a week. I feel great! No depression no chills no flaky scaly skin and tons of energy! I was extremely tired throughout the day. Freezing even though it's summer in Seattle. Severe dry skin to the point of embarrassment. My hair recently started to thin on my crown area. My legs had extreme cramping to the point I couldn't sleep at night. The most traumatic experience is my recent heart palpitations and dizziness feeling fatal during each episode. Now with all these symptoms... I decided medicine that causes hair loss outweighs the thought of dying young (39)- I will post another update seeing how it's only a week into it- so far- most energy I've felt in years, not cold at all, and no irregular palpitations."

Jb758175 August 14, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Diagnosed with Graves disease, my thyroid was radiated and destroyed. Put on synthyroid, took a while to get dosage right, but I have been on it for 8 years now and without it I would want to die. I take 100 mcg a day and I set my phone alarm to go off same time every day so I won't forget it."

AmyBill August 13, 2016

"I've been on this medicine for almost, but not quite, 10 years. It is night and day comparing how I am now to how I was before I was diagnosed and treated for hypothyroidism. My hair loss has stopped, my skin and nails aren't as dry and brittle, I can think clearly most of the time and I have energy again. It took a while to get to the right dose, I've been both too low and too high. But I'm stable and feeling pretty decently now."

smg1900 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "For the first few years I had my OB/GYN monitoring my thyroid and adjusting my Levothyroxine… What a mistake! I never felt good and come to find out he was doing it wrong. Not doing the right test to monitor my levels and decreasing my dose when he should've been increasing. I started to see an endocrinologist and WOW! What a difference. He switched me to namebrand Synthroid only (which made a difference) and checks my levels twice a year to make sure I'm on the correct dose. I feel amazing for the first time in years!"

Bonnylee (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2016