User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, Tirosint-Sol, Unithroid …show all brand names

Levothyroxine Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Underactive Thyroid

"This medicine caused serious weight gain in 6 weeks (19 lbs), My knees swelled up like a tennis ball filled with fluid, tired, etc. My PCP had me on lowest dose of Armour Thyroid. Found a nodule so I was sent to Cancer Thyroid Clinic. No cancer just a cyst. That endocrinologist immediately took me off Armor Thyroid (Endo's don't like alternative meds) & put me on 75mg Levothyroxine. Horrible experience! While my labs we're perfect Endo said after 2 months, my symptoms & side effects were horrible. Dr refused to listen & told her how much weight I gained still no concerns. I went back to my regular PCP & am now waiting to try Nature Throid tomorrow. Just because those numbers look good doesn't mean it's the right fit for you!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

"Just began levothyroxine two weeks ago. Is that long enough to notice a difference? I did have some symptoms of hypothyroidism, like being cold, which I had thought was because it was winter. Also, I have gained weight, but I had stopped working, so thought that was to blame. I'm still cold, but losing weight due to going gluten- and dairy-free for about one month now, and exercising. I guess the next lab tests will tell if it's working. I noticed that a lot of the complaints about side effects seem to be very similar to symptoms, so that's confusing! Good luck to all! :)"

amy (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "I was excited to switch from synthroid to tirosint because my doctor told me that it was gluten free compared to other medications. I have been on it for a little over a month after switching from synthroid and I feel so terrible, anxiety, insomnia, fatigue , lots of hair loss & weight is stuck and my goiter in my neck is enlarged again. I called my doctor because I want to go back on my synthroid. I did read that some people do better on it than others and I believe it is just not for me."

Bina (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2018

"I’ve been on this since 2009. After 8 months of very little improvement I went to my GP and begged them to add Cytomel. This combination of T3 and T4 works for me. You get to a point where you know when you need to be adjusted due to feeling exhausted, gaining weight for no reason, brain fog, etc—-it’s been a struggle to get a doctor to increase my dosage due to my high TSH levels. Finally found someone who went the extra step and ordered further testing. I’ve been diagnosed with a benign pituitary tumor which was causing my pituitary to overproduce Prolactin and TSH. My suggestion, if after 8 months of taking Levothyroxine and your symptoms don’t seem to be alleviated—ask to add a T3 med, for me it made a huge difference in quality of life."

Arvm April 8, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "This medicine I thought would be very good,vboy was I wrong.vIt lowered my numbers but it caused me to run a low grade fever that is making me miserable and I just discovered what was causing the fever. I thought to start looking at all my medicines again and lo and behold it stated that one of the less side effects was fever.vI am going to see if my medical doctor will change it to something else."

dee jayne (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2018

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "Tirosint saved my life after many years of Synthroid making me gain weight for no reason and failing to keep my levels stable, despite dosage increases. Every doctor I went to brushed off my concerns until finally one mentioned Tirosint. I am finally able to lose weight instead of gain and my thyroid levels have never been better."

ExerciseSweetie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2018

"If you are hypothyroid, levothyroxine is the difference between being completely dumb-ed out and depressed and being your regular self. It takes a bit of time and patience to find the ideal quantity, but stick with it and you will notice the differences."

AJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "So far so good"

Powerless (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2018

"Over last year. My lab values have considerably decreased. I never felt well on any generic."

Sluggish. FT 3 n FT4 dropped February 23, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I had peeling of the hands and a facial rash"

Nibbs577 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2018

"I'm really glad my doctor discovered my hypothyroidism and started me on levothyroxine. I'm not as cold or fatigued as I used to be, so it works well enough! I just think of it as a supplement"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 6, 2018

"First week on 50 Mcg of Levothyroxine has been great. I had undiagnosed Hypothyroidism for years, I became very lazy, tired and never felt like doing anything. I tried eating healthy, going running, but obviously nothing helped. I only been on for one week and already feeling better for the first time in years, a lift of brain fog and more energy, I don't feel so cold, my appetite is back, I enjoy food again. I have some bloating but I think this could be due to eating more. I really hope I can be my old self again"

StrawMan (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Thyroidectomy after cancer diagnosis and so far I've had not had great luck with synthyroid. Currently I'm on 112 mcg and it makes me feel like I have a itchy sunburn and the weight gain is insane I feel water logged in my legs most of the time and too many mental glitches. I dislike this drug it's has to many fillers that cause other issues. If you have a known allergies avoid synthyroid until they can create an allergy free version."

Batty1 January 3, 2018

"I have been taking this levothyroxine for about 5.5 years now and it has never made me feel any better than before I started . I have never lost weight and actually have gained ! I have no energy at all I in fact feel like I’m dying a slow death !! I have told my doctors over and over again that I don’t feel better and yet they continue to feed me this rubbish along with some supplements and still nothing works !! I have cried to the doctor about my symptoms and they tried to give me depression medicine which I refuse to take I am not a depressed person the only thing that brings me down is this medicine! I think I’m going to stop taking it all together ! This is absolutely despicable .. I have a feeling it’s this rubbish medicine ! There is not enough info about this disease !!"

Jen .. I feel like SHIT !! (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 30, 2017

"I have been taking this medicine since I was 16 years old. I am now 55 and after reading all the reviews, I can't complain as much. I been on 112 mcg all my life. I am 5' 2" tall and weigh 155 pounds."

sweet pup December 8, 2017

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I used Synthroid (25, 50 or 75 for over more than 10 years, but had to use the original, not the generic because generic does not work in some people. I've not been operated, but for over 2 years I've been using NatureThroid (32.5) instead which was recommended by my ND and have to say that all my side effects that Synthroid caused, had gone. I almost lost all my hair and had terrible heart beats, headaches, joint pains, etc. I do not have hashimoto, and really don't know if it works for people with this condition, but I tried NatureThroid and I am very happy with the results."

Ayapliana December 6, 2017

"My concentration and vision had been affected by this medication, both have became very poor, I was informed that the med had reduced my TSH to a more normal level. My dose is up to 125mcg. My energy levels are amazingly high but my muscle strength has weaken to the extent that my joints hurt a lot and keep me awake at night. It does not improve weight or alter state of hair and nails. Although tired and weak before I remember being happier than I am now. I have gained a lot of weight and anxiety since taking this med. I don't recognise my reflection anymore."

angelic upstart (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 26, 2017

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "I switched over to Tirosint after taking levothyroxine for the past two years. It worked for me, I felt great and energetic. The only downside after switching is that I gained at least 10-15 lbs, and my face has gotten puffy I hate it. My insurance won’t cover the dose I’m on (150mcg) and it’s just way too expensive out of pocket. I believe my last refill was around $150, the pharmacy was able to bring it down to $113, which is still a lot for only a 28 day supply. I just switched to Armour Thyroid, (90mg). Hopefully that will help with the weight loss, it’s also NDT which is another good alternative if you prefer the natural route."

drread90 November 15, 2017

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I've been on both and yes you have to see a Dr. who specializes in this disorder and you also have to take it one hour before you eat both levo and synthroid because I feel different I've done it taking after I ate and didn't work and then I followed the doctors orders take one hour before breakfast. I'm on 75mcg and my weight is doing great my levels normal if I keep on the medicine and take it like my doctor said to take it and I go to many different specialist's because I have many medical problems and I'm only 30 but this thyroid be thing started after I had my daughter so no do not take it at night after meals cuz your body will not absorb the medicine correct the medicine needs to be with a full glass of water and no food so it can work thru"

Jujubean30 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 27, 2017

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "I had tried Armour thyroid, Synthroid DAW, compounded T3/T4, cytomel and Tirosint was able to control my TSH, T3 and T4 much more than the other drugs. I haven't needed to make many adjustments at all on the medication. I did lose a few pounds in the first month of switching to Tirosint as well."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 21, 2017

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "My doctor prescribed Levothyroxine for low thyroid and I had been feeling so tired and wiped out. Levothyroxine did help improve my numbers (TSH of 7.5 dropped to 4.5) but I felt awful on it. Everything hurt and I was so exhausted. After 3 months on Levothryoxine, I asked to try the brand name Synthroid. What a difference!!! It improved my numbers even more (same dose, TSH decreased to 1.75) and not only that, I felt better. I had energy. My experience is night and day. I know generics are supposed to be equivalent but I can tell you there is a difference. Synthroid brand works so much better than Levothyroxine. Recommended."

Dennise2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2017

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I was put on synthroid 1 year after telling my Endocrinologist (he was taking care of my type 1 diabetes) that I think I have low thyroid (it runs in my family). After a year he finally tested my TSH which was high and put me on Synthroid. My TSH came back fine but I told him my hair was still thinning, my nails were still brittle, my stomach was still swollen & I got every bug that was within 100 miles. I also developed total exhaustion and only left the house for doctor appointments. I went from 103lbs. to 130lbs. He put me on a higher dose and switched me to Levothyroxine (generic for synthroid) which caused rash & itching on face, then on rest of body, felt like a ball in my throat. Changing doctors now."

kitcat18 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2017

"The medicine isn't doing anything for me whether its 50mg or 100mg. My symptoms haven't improved at all."

Mary^3 September 29, 2017

"This medication makes me feel awful! Brain fog, insomnia, lightheaded, tried all the time. I am telling my doctor to change my medication or else I will see another doctor."

Bruinbear (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 29, 2017

"This and the generic both caused lip swelling, irritation and redness. Looked like I had clown lips. Stopped taking both."

Barbjoy September 28, 2017