User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Levothyroxine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Underactive Thyroid

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I'm hypothyroid and skinny as a rail and cannot even gain a single pound, 58 yo, 5'6" 88 lbs, thyroid damaged through radiation, have been on synthroid/levothyroxin 50 mcg daily, and I notice no change at all, still no energy, still totally exhaust 24/7,still losing weight like crazy with a relatively healthy appetite. However, since I totally trust my oncologist, I keep taking them."

dvdbrian July 19, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I can almost guarantee that most of these negative reviews are due to either 1. Taking the medication incorrectly (generic works for some not all), too close to food or iron,calcium, some antidepressants interfere) 2. Taking the incorrect dose 3. Not being consistent(must be close to the same time daily ) I had gone through many changes before finally getting it right. Seems to be working good after getting on brand name and taking it seriously."

John jacob July 9, 2016

Levoxyl (levothyroxine): "Levoxyl has given me my life back. I did not do well on Synthroid or generics."

ThyroidMom (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

"I have been on levo for a year and a half and I have experienced a few side affects tha are not mentioned when prescribed I have heart burn, acid reflux, brain fog, always tired all the time but I love this med it has my periods back to normal which is what I was hoping for so its worth the side affects before being tested I didn't have a period in 18 months."

Sunshine7191 July 7, 2016

"I am 22 years old and fairly healthy educated young woman. I had blood work done in August 2015 and found out my TSH was 60, so my doctor prescribed 50 mcg of levothyroxine. In January 2016, I had my TSH rechecked and it was down to 30. I continued to take the levothyroxine for a month and a half, from late January to the middle of March. During the time I was taking this medication, I felt so lethargic, I had terrible brain fog, and I was so bloated that I actually got stretch marks on my stomach! I have never been pregnant or even had sex, and I got stretch marks from being miserably bloated! Also, with the levothyroxine, I had the worst heart burn in my life. The acid reflux was so bad that I would get choked and start coughing from it."

DonnaBellaBonnie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 30, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "I have had trouble with my hypothyroidism for 40 years. The last 4 years it has been out of control.. can't keep my levels good. Fall asleep at the drop of a pin. Tired all the time. Doc put me on tirosint. At first I felt like a million bucks!! Then the panic attacks started, bad horrible cramps in my legs and feet. But the worst was feeling like I was in a constant state of DIVERTICULITIS!! I was eating pain meds and on antibiotics for weeks! Then I stopped taking it. it went away.. it has only been a couple of days... but my belly is feeling better, but my aneixty is still running at a 9.. along with the irritability."

Patty 857 June 23, 2016

"This medication is used to treat low thyroid hormone levels. I have Hashimoto's. This is an autoimmune disorder where the body attacks the thyroid until it no longer functions properly. Many people with low thyroid hormone levels have this but are not aware because doctors tend to treat with the medication rather than the whole disease. A lot of the people posting claiming side effects are actually describing side effects of LOW THYROID or HIGH THYROID! The medication is simply a replacement hormone and will not make you constipated, have brain fog, anxiety, fibromyalgia, heart palpitations, etc. unless you are taking TOO MUCH or TOO LITTLE of the hormone. A lot of the negative reviews of this medication are absolutely ridiculous!"

Breeta (taken for 10 years or more) June 21, 2016

Levoxyl (levothyroxine): "I have been taking Levoxyl for 3 months and my blood tests have gone down from 110 to 65 it's still not normal still under active thyroid. Half my hair has fallen out in the 3 month period. My stomach hurts and the Dr said no Pepcid or antacids for 4 hours after taking the medication. My joints and muscles hurt all of the time and I have insomnia. I think I may be adapting to the meds as I no longer have to spend half the day in the bathroom. Diarrhea has lessened but stomach cramps persist. I was just told I need to increase the Levoxyl to 075 mg. I'm terrified I may end up bald with an ulcer"

Happy dog June 13, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "I was on the edge of hypothyroidism but not fully diagnosed cause my TSH wasn't considered high enough to be classified but had most of the symptoms so I was given the low dose of a thyroid medication I was so sick, I ended up in the ER with a horrible migraine and throwing up for 14 hrs. My dr. switched me to Tirosint same dose as before and I have no side effects. I am finally feeling human I am not so tired, I am more alert and focused, my TSH level has gone to a much better level."

hbrady21 June 10, 2016

"osteoporosis,heart valve problems,insomnia,anxiety,bone pain,mdd, levothyroxine is not a good medication does more harm than good"

jack889900w May 28, 2016

"Original symptoms slightly decreased but side effects such as heart palpitations, sweats, hunger, weight gain, hand tremors, feelings of panic/stress, insomnia, acne, irritable/depressed make me question is it the drug or is it the dosage. Dr says higher dosage is needed. Endocrinologist says lower dosage is needed. Surely medicine for a complaint should be more clear-cut and less guesswork done by the medical profession. I'm told there is no other drug available to me for my hypothyroid problem."

MaryD3zzhttp://www.drugs.com/m (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "will ruin your life"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2016

"I've been on this 7-8 years and it works well. I able to maintain my idle body weight. When 1st taking it, I was starving and ate everything under the soon. After adjusting to the medicine, I'm able to stay at 115 lbs which is perfect for me. I also have fibromyalgia and feel tired all the time."

Susieq88888 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2016

"I've been on this drug since I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at around twelve years old. It hasn't done anything especially dramatic or life changing. I am able to lose weight and I am not tired and sluggish. I don't believe I have experienced any of the known side effects. This drug works for me, that's all I can ask."

ihavemigraines (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2016

"I have been on Levothyroxin for four years. I have no thyroid. I have gained 60 pounds. I am angry about the weight gain. I have absolutely no energy when I used to have too much. The major problem that I found with this drug is that it gives me bad heart burn. I also have heart palpitations. The doctor claims my levels are where they should be and refuse to switch me to anything else."

202400 April 18, 2016

"My thyroid test showed it to be under active, Dr increased Levothyroxine to 100 MCG to be taken two hours on empty stomach before I can eat! I guestioned Pharmacist and he confirmed two hours wate. Very difficult to wait 2 hours! I take several other medications! What can I do?"

Berlene April 10, 2016

"I loved it when I first started. Felt more energized, lost weight, felt good. Now 8 months in and a dosage of 100mcg my levels are normal but I feel worse off. Sore throats, mouth ulcers, painful diarrhea after mildly acidic foods, insomnia, weight gain, joint pain, hair thinning. Requested a full panel of all 4 and tsh but doctors won't adjust anything since my levels are normal range. I feel worse on this medicine long term than I did before taking it. Hoping to try the dessicated hormone if I can find someone who can prescribe it."

Randino (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 3, 2016

"I started with Armour Thyroid 15 and felt better. When dose was increased to 30, I started to have mild swelling in my hands. My doctor said, it's a side effect. It did not bother me a lot. When dose was increased to 60, I started to have more swelling in my hands, increased appetite, weird muscle and joints pain. I did research and think T3 in Armour Thyroid caused it. I asked doctor to change Armour Thyroid to Levothyroxine and miracle happened: appetite decreased, swelling in hands, muscle and joints pain disappeared. I guess my body produced enough T3 by it's own and extra T3 from Armour Thyroid was too much for me. Removing Armour Thyroid I removed extra T3 and made all those symptoms disappear."

Irenebluesky (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2016

"I have been on this medicine for 7 years. It works well for my thyroid but it does nothing for my weight at all. I've tried dieting and exercising but it won't even burn 1 lb."

Kara Kelly (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 26, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "Personally I really like Tirosint better than any other Thyroid medication I've taken. I was on Armor for 3 months and started to lose my hair and my nails got very thin. Then I switched to Synthroid hoping that my hair would stop falling out. But it only got worse. After a month on Synthroid I lost at least half my hair. So I talked to my Doctor and we switched me to Tirosint and after 3 weeks of using it my hair has barely fallen out! I personally have had no harmful side effects with Tirosint and I am glad I switched. Yes it may be a little pricey a month but its totally worth not having my hair fall out!"

Hypothyroidism Victim March 19, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I just started this medicine about a month ago. It is making such a big difference in my appetite and my energy. I am a fairly young man at 23 years old. I knew something wasn't right with my body over the last few years, as I had gained about 30 pounds over the course of just a few months and felt so sluggish. It turns out, like many of you reading this, I have an underactive thyroid. I have heard that three drugs help with the thyroid hormones. Synthroid (T4 hormone), Cytomel (T3 hormone), and Armour Thyroid (T4 & T3 Hormones). Synthroid has gotten a bad rap because it's synthetic and it only covers the T4. Well, the T4 is most likely all you need because a T3 deficiency is rare. Synthroid is great. Stomach upset went away in 1-2 weeks."

Vinayyyyy070709 March 16, 2016

"On it since 01/2016, emotionally and mentally, I feel so much calmer. I used to explode for everything. I have yet to have an argument with my husband since the pill officially started working in my system. I feel so much happier! I haven't lost weight but I do feel less bloated. My heart rate is down. Cons: back acne (not even as a teen did I have acne), a lot of heartburn (especially at night), I notice these side effects get worst if I don't take it at my usual 4am. I know it says to take it at least 30 minutes before a meal but I feel better if I wait at least three to four hours before I eat. Biggest observation to control side effects is the timing at which I take the pill, 3am to 4 am works the best for me."

Pros and Cons for ME (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

"This is by far the worst medication I've ever been on! I basically got 30 more problems to attempt to "fix" one problem. I've been on it for a week and a half and have had a horrible rapid heartbeat, feeling like I can't breathe, increased anxiety, a rash covering my whole body, and a distended stomach that makes me look 4 months pregnant, not to mention swollen hands and fatigue (which isn't a big deal) but the other stuff honesty makes me sick. My mom is on it too and has had bad side effects. We both really want to stop taking it but apparently it's really dangerous to get off of it. I feel like I was totally trapped. I hate it! Seriously consider everything before taking it. I wish I would have."

S_Cunningham12 March 4, 2016

"Hi, I am 38yrs old female. I started taking levothyroxine 3 years ago. It took 12 months to reach a correct and stable dosage, which ofcourse was challenging. I take 100ug each morning and it has been nothing short of life changing for me but diet and exercise is also important. My personal experience is that gluten, caffeine and alcohol also really blow me off course even with the levothyroxine. This drug will obviously affect us all in different ways, but If you are new to it, my experience is that it takes time to find your body's equilibrium (12months for me). Don't rely on the drug to do the hard work either, diet and exercise are so important too. Do research on diet, do exercise and pay attention to foods make you feel weird"

CharlieWils March 2, 2016

"I have had abdominal cramps, and many of the side effects that are listed on the previous screen concerning this medication. And my Doctor prescribed this?? I'm going to ask my doctor if I can stop this medication, maybe after some blood work. I was amazed at the number of side effects I'm having because of this drug. No wonder!!"

mhami (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 27, 2016