User Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Underactive Thyroid

Also known as: Synthroid, Levoxyl, Euthyrox, Tirosint, Eltroxin, Unithroid, Tirosint-Sol, Levo-T, Thyquidity Eutroxsig Novothyrox Evotrox …show all brand names

Levothyroxine has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 371 ratings for the treatment of Underactive Thyroid. 44% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 42% reported a negative effect.

Levothyroxine Rating Summary

5.4/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Levothyroxine

familydoctor · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “I am a family doctor who just got lab results on a patient taking euthrox. 6 months ago her tests were fine while she was on levothyroxine generic. Walmart switched her to Euthyrox, and her labs look like she just stopped taking her thyroid medicine completely- TSH is over 15. I have called her pharmacy and asked them to start investigation of the euthyrox, replace her pills with real medicine and will be looking into what else I need to do to protect the public.”

Andros · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 22, 2021

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “UPDATE: I posted on March 11 2021 and shared how I switched back to my regular medication from Walgreens which is just the generic Levothyroxine 88mg and stopped taking this horrible pill from Walmart called Euthyrox which is their version of the generic brand but with horrible side effects. Today is April 21, 21 and I feel like a brand new person! I finally feel normal! I prayed for this moment to feel like my old self! The horrible side effects have all subsided!! I just want to share with everyone that there is hope! I’ve been praying and trying my hardest to be patient with my body. I also was taking ibuprofen for the aches and pains in the mean time. But I can finally share with you all that I’m doing great! I pray for everyone else to feel better soon in Jesus name. There is HOPE and light at the end of the tunnel.”

Andros March 11, 2021

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “I was taking Levothyroxine 88mg from Walgreens or CVS since I was 18 now I’m 33. Switched pharmacy to neighborhood Walmart because it was closer to home back in Sept 2020. They gave me a generic called EUTHYROX said it was the exact same thing so I trusted them. They just said the packaging was different. They were so wrong! Since Sept 2020 I been having horrible side effects! Muscle aches/ pains/ stiffness ALL the time! Muscle weakness, blurred vision, chest pains, severe acid reflux GERD like symptoms. Foggy brain, forgetfulness, being so cold all the time. Didn't feel like myself at all! I almost passed out twice last week and had enough!! I went to the dr and she immediately switched me back to my meds from before. Today will be 6 days that I have switched back and my side effects have been subsiding . It was so scary and still is knowing this medication is out there! Please don’t take it. When I almost fainted and had chest pains was the scariest part for me.”

NA September 8, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “Walmart switched my levothyroxine to Euthyrox,. The first day I had a headache almost at migraine level. Within two weeks my hair was falling out, insomnia every night. Have been on levothyroxine for 12 years, with no issues. Do not take this medication.”

joy · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2021

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “In November 2020 I was diagnosed with low thyroid. My Doctor put me on levothyroxine 25 mcg. I also went to Walmart and the gave me Euthyrox. I started taking it on 11th, after taking it for one week,. I began having hip pains that radiated into my legs. My joints ached and burned. I had headaches, low energy, dizziness, confusion and foggy brain. Didn't want to move as it hurt. I am retired nurse and knew the recent change was medication. I stopped taking it on 19th November. Went to Doctors office , was told to stop taking it. By Thanksgiving I was feeling better. Took a few weeks to feel normal again. Have been prescribed synthroid today. Going to try it. It is brand name of levothyroxine. Hopefully I can use it. They need to tell people how dangerous medicine is. I will stop using walmart. They told me I was sick with virus. Treated me like I was delusional or making it up. I hope they never experience the same as I did.”

Melissa · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2021

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “Was switched to Euthyrox 4 months ago from levothyroxine at Walmart pharmacy. This change was made without my doctor's approval. I was told it was the very same medicine I had been getting before. It is not the same medication. I have begun having extreme dizzy spells severe anxiety, shortness of breath. I've been on the same dose of level thyroxine for over 10 years. And now my levels are extremely high. I'm experiencing overdose of levothyroxine. My doctor has prescribed a lower dose and wanted me to go back to taking the original levothyroxine. I went to Walmart this morning to pick it up and they filled again with Euthorox. They talked me into keeping it. After reading these comments I am not going to be taking this brand! I will be calling the FDA and Walmart Headquarters on Monday morning!”

Andrea · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “I’ve been on Tirosint for 3 months now. The best I’ve felt in YEARS! I previously posted in October and I can only say if the other various thyroid medications are making you feel awful, YOU HAVE TO TRY TIROSINT! My energy level is fabulous, losing weight, no hair loss, coherent, etc and overall LIVING LIFE to the FULLEST.”

Kiran · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “Please don't take Euthyrox if you are switching from Levothyroxine, after taking for a month. My hair were falling like crazy, loose stool and lot more side effects. Please think twice before taking Euthyrox.”

Ralphie · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2021

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “Walmart substituted this rubbish Euthyrox today on my refill after I specifically told them not to. I called Corporate and gave them 24 hours to deliver my regular Levothyroxine or I would not only move my scripts, I would file charges for causing harm as this Euthyrox can cause heart attacks.”

Mom2Two · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 30, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “Pharmacy gave me Euthyrox instead of Levothyroxine (generic). I didn't think it would make a difference, so I have been taking it for several months. Kept feeling worse but didn't connect it to the meds. To the point now I can barely function - arms hurt so bad, so tired I can hardly make it through my day, headache, etc. Called pharmacy to see why they switched it. She said, "That is just what WalMart sends us. Lots of people have been complaining and switching back." So, so am I! Hope I start feeling better soon. Shame on you, WalMart, for switching people's meds without a Dr.'s request!”

Nath · Taken for 10 years or more March 14, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “A word of caution about levothyroxine - not all levothyroxine drugs are equal. I recently experienced a nasty episode with generic levothyroxine because the manufacturer changed the formula (replaced lactose with mannitol) which made me very sick for months (dizziness, nausea, over tiredness, chest pain and arrhythmia). It took a while to figure out since there was no communication of a "change" from the manufacturer. The switch to "Tirosint" was a life savior! Right away, the symptoms subsided. It is so important to check the excipients (=fillers). Tirosint has glycerin, water, levothyroxine, that's it! As an NTI drug (narrow therapeutic index), I would never risk the generic again. I was too sick and spend too much money with docs who couldn't find anything wrong with me! After doing research, I asked for just ask for the brand - I am so glad as it solved all of my "issues"!t"”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 27, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “My pharmacy changed me to this brand after being on levothyroxine. My hair has been falling out, weight gain, brittle nails and more side effects. This does not work for your thyroid. Had my TSH done in March and it was pretty close to normal range. After that the pharmacy changed my levothyroxine to this one. My TSH is low and this is why I am having the issues. I am upset that the pharmacy can just change things without checking with you first. Don't take this brand of medication”

Wonttakesynthroid · Taken for 10 years or more February 16, 2019

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “I was on Synthroid for 10 years. I was in so much pain in my joints, I couldn't function. This is a known side effect of this medicine. My numbers were where they were supposed to be per the doctors, but I still felt tired and my hair was still falling out. After my husband and I did research, we worked with my doctor and switched to Armour Thyroid. Within 6 weeks my pain was gone, I felt better. I wasn't tired and my hair was falling out. No matter what medicine you use - you know how you should feel. Do the research and work with your doctor. Only you know how you should feel. Don't depend on the doctor to tell you.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 26, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “I was doing great on Tirosint until manufacturers changed to IBSA. I developed gastritis and arthritic neck pain, fatigue, and weakness. Felt like had the flu. This medication has cost me a lot of time and money. Please start checking for any manufacture changes to your thyroid medication.”

Robert2013 March 11, 2013

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “Synthroid saved my life....been taking it for almost four years now. I had all of the worst symptoms in the worst way of a basically dead thyroid. I was feeling better within a week of taking it and continued to feel better and better every day for about the next six months. That's when it leveled off and I've been happy (and grateful) ever since. It took about a year or so to lose all of the weight I gained as a result of crummy thyroid. The weight just came right off after taking Synthroid. I'm on 225Mcg per day with very minimal side effects...so minimal that I can't recall what they are at the moment.”

Georgia · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “Began taking in early June when Walmart pharmacy refilled my prescription saying Euthyrox was their new generic and what I would be getting going forward. Within days of taking first pill began to experience headaches that progressively increased in duration and frequency during the four months of taking Euthyrox. Then began the insomnia, tinnitus, heat intolerance, uncontrollable sweating, swelling in face and eyelids, diarrhea, neck and shoulder pain, blurred vision, fatigue, occasional dizziness, dry mouth, loss of appetite, and brain fog. Stopped Euthyrox almost two weeks ago and most symptoms have gone away except for headaches and neck pain. Definitely returning to prior medication this one was disabling.”

granny · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “My pharmacy switched me to euthyrox instead of levothyroxine. Then four hours after taking the first one I had a massive headache, didn't think anything of it. The second day same thing, only this time it was odd, I rarely get headaches so it worried me how severe it was. I called my pharmacist and asked if it was related, yes it is. I couldn't even function it was so bad. I demanded they switch it back. I then find out today that with my recent heart attack i shouldn't have even been given this med! HORRIBLE stuff!”

sharonc2006 · Taken for 10 years or more January 19, 2014

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “Reading all the posts/comments on here - PEOPLE - if you are still feeling bad and not noticing relief from symptoms of an underactive thryoid PLEASE TELL YOUR doctor. If your doctor disagrees with you then find an ENDOCRINOLOGIST to get a second opinion. They specialize in endocrine issues which the thyroid falls under. You know your own body better than your doctor - research the symptoms of an underactive thryoid and if you are still feeling them - then get a second opinion. Never stop taking this medication on your own, it takes 4 to 6 And be aware that when you start this m weeks to notice a difference in your body. Also, ask your doctor to write DISPENSE AS WRITTEN on your prescription to avoid the pharmacy giving generic”

Sky · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 18, 2019

“When Dr increases the dosage for levothyroxine , I get overly anxious, palpitations, lack of conentration, can't sleep, an overall feeling of not feeling well, fainty feeling, no energy, bloated, itchy, eye problems, irritated, confusion, feeling like crying, very emotional,and this is only taking 50mg. I felt I was dying, the moment I took half of 25mg like I was doing before , I returned to my normal self, Drs don't care of your symptoms, they just want to go by the book, and I'm not the only one reporting this, others like me are out there, Drs are not listening to us,”

laura April 24, 2021

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “Amazing!! I started on 25 mcg brand Synthroid then 50 mcg and now I'm on 75 mcg I almost feel like the old me my TSH went from 11 to 1.7 I wake up 4 am take my medicine and go back to sleep till my 6am alarm I have a cup of coffee when I get up to start my day.”

Jo · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 1, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “Walmart switched me from Levothyroxine, made by Alvogen to Euthyrox on October 17, 2020. I have heart failure. The Euthyrox made my life miserable. I had HORRIBLE leg cramps during the night, I had no energy. I had gone from getting a lot done around the house into just sitting. The Walmart pharmacist told me that Alvogen's warehouses are in Miami and that the Haiti hurricane had flooded the warehouses and now there was a shortage of Alvogen Levothyroxine. Finally, yesterdqay, I called the Walmart pharmacist and insisted that this drug is a bad drug. He switched me back to the product I had been on for the last five years without any all these side effects. Euthyrox should be banned in this country as it was in France. I am wondering what it has done to other organs of my body and if it was sufficient to keep my thyroid at a working level. Without a blood test at this time, I don't know.”

KE · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 3, 2019

Levoxyl (levothyroxine): “I was a long time Levoxyl user prior to the major recall that happened and I loved Levoxyl and felt fantastic before the recall that happened! I have tried it 4 separate times and each time I try it, I feel horrible. Imagine the most tired feeling you could ever feel!!! I cannot function and require naps, when I try taking it. Not sure what changes they made to the formula, but for me, it is horrible. I just had to share this, just in case anyone out there is feeling this same feeling. Trust me, the formula has changed and not for the better...”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2013

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “Only been on this medicine for 4 days and it has already made a huge difference in how I feel. The depression was awful and the intolerance to the cold was bone chilling. I hope things continue to look up. So far so good!”

Retazlaw · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 21, 2019

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “To be honest I'm not a person who has ever taken medications. So when my physician told me I had a under active thyroid I didn't really know what to think because I didn't feel as though I had any of the common symptoms. I just thought the symptoms the doctor mentioned were just normal ageing since I am 55 years old. I have been taking this medication now for a little over 4 months and have started to see some noticeable changes. 1) my hair stopped falling out. 2) nails started growing faster and stronger. 3) All around much more energy. 4) Able to focus better. So far I have been very happy with the results. I cannot give this a total 10 because everything has room for improvement.”

ccgv6 October 23, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “I was falling a sleep every time I sat down - even at the computer, rocking a baby, in a car ride. I was trying to lose weight, but gaining instead. Someone would touch me and I would start sweating. I am 58. I have been on Synthroid (not generic) for 6 days now. I too am feeling a whole lot better. I was at 202 lbs 10 days ago. Today I am at 187.6 lbs. I did fall a sleep at the computer again last night, but my energy level is coming back.”