User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Levothyroxine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal.

Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal

"can not take this as I have all the side effects with this drug."

Anonymous May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "After my thyroid surgery, I was put on Synthroid. I continued to get WORSE until I was nearly totally bedridden. I did some research and after several months, found a doctor who prescribed medications other than synthroid. I started taking a Natural desiccated thyroid (NDT) medicine. Within two weeks, I woke up and felt like getting out of bed. I continued to improve, however my strength never came back. I am totally confined to a wheelchair now."

JakeBuddy April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "I have felt horrible for ten years since they removed my thyroid. I was told I didn't metabolize Synthroid properly. My doctor tried everything with negative results. I recently came across a published paper on the NIH website and it mentioned Tirosint. My doctor had never heard of it but she was willing to give it a try. That was two months ago and I have never felt better. I know the drug is expensive but there is a manufacturers coupon online. I ended up paying $35.00 but I would gladly pay full price. That's how good it is!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer & had a total thyroidectomy & also lost one parathyroid. The dr used high levels of iodine during my surgery and my endocrinologist had to put me on an iodine free diet for 4 months to clear it from my body. During this time I wasn't allowed to take any thyroid meds at all. I spent that entire time in bed under an electric blanket turned on high during a Vegas summer. Nothing normal there. I was a zombie. I had to have help to use the bathroom, shower & everything I was so weak. After RAI I started Synthroid. A few months later I noticed small improvements but gained 50# within the first year. It's been 7 years now and I'm worse all the time. I've lost my life to this. I'm switching to Armour."

QueenJennifer February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I ended up with an emergency complete thyroidectomy after an ultrasound revealed the tumors ((2 in each lobe of my thyroid) had grown and were the culprit to me having to turn my head to the left to swallow food or to even drink liquid. After years of taking levithyroxine I was put onto the brand name Synthroid. At worst, my levels were 86.4. Yes, you read that correctly. My my hair falls out in clumps, tired, exhausted, body aches and joint pain, chronic fatigue, etc. now my routine is to take my synthroid at bedtime with vitamin c. I wake up fine, I'm down from 325 to 181 and I feel great! Please remember your thyroid takes weeks/months to change, you won't notice anything three days to a month into taking this"

mizzgigglzyahoo.com December 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "I was on levothyroxine for a year after my cancer surgery/thyroid removal. it was the worst year of my life. I was seriously hating life, because I hurt every single day. Muscle aches, swelling, every symptom you can imagine. Weight gain was the worst. I fired my endo and waited two months to see the new one. If I wasn't married, I'd propose to the man. In three weeks my life has changed. I can go to the gym, and not feel like I have been hit by a truck. No muscle aches. I have lost 9 lbs. Brain fog is lifting. I sleep better, and my I don't feel like a 47 year old stuck in a 90 year old body. I will pay ANY amount of money and I will NEVER go back."

Loving Tirosint (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Thyroid was basically destroyed by radioactive iodine treatment. Only thing that's hard is taking it w/o food etc"

Annabqnm (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "This stuff is terrible. I switched to ndt and am doing way better. Please google stop the thyroid madness as synthoids popularity is madness."

Sadie99 October 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Took 1.0 right after surgery for ten years. Then special ist concerned to high. Conservative drop to .95 then dropped to .88 when dropped to .88 was very tired put on 5 lbs in 5 dayswas a weight watchers person has lost 20 pounds took me ten months to lose 20 then change in dosage gain 5 pounds added steps up to 20000 a day and cut portions back more finally ten months later have kept 20 pounds off . I worked hard to do this since the change from .95 to .88 made me very tired. Now they want to drop it to 65? I am still tired constipated and do not understand why if I am borderline? Whatever that means why would you stop it to .65 very disappointed. Have moved to clovis California will have to find new doctor. Change in meds really stressed"

.otherofonyx October 9, 2016

"Just started"

Buddy24 October 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Does not help, makes my legs, knees and hips hurt. Very tired and no energy also."

House1979 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I was 1st diagnosed w/hyperparathyroidism.The dr. said it wasn't bad to just watch it.After a couple of years it got worse-I saw another dr. & he did 6 biopsy's-found that I had Papillary Cancer-following mo. I had my thyroid & 2 parathyroids removed-surgeon put me on 100mcg of generic Synthroid-seemed to be doing ok until I had the RAI, twice, then everything messed up. I was still having hair loss, ears ringing, teeth getting bad, bathroom habits were never the same, cramps, affected my salivary glands permanently so I'm dry all the time plus I've put on 25 lbs. I eat, I don't eat, it doesn't matter, the weight will not come off.The Endo dr. changed my dosage to 112mcg & I seemed to be doing better.I am back to 100mcg w/previous symptoms."

firephilking (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Unithroid (levothyroxine): "My thyroid was removed in 1978 due to cancer. I started out on Armour but was eventually switched over to Synthroid. I have had no side effects from the drug and my doctor and I have been happy with the results. Frequent blood monitoring dictated that I alternate between 175mcg and 150mcg doses per day in order to fine tune my "numbers.""

Tom140721105 (taken for 10 years or more) August 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Had my thyroid removed at age 9 (cancer) 38 yrs ago. Been on Synthroid ever since then. My dosage has changed over the years. I am now on 150 mg (blue tablets) I have been getting a all over skin rash and itching for the last 4 months. After numerous tests my doctor told me it may be the dye in the blue 150 mg tablets. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I just switched today to take the 50 mg (white tablets with no dye) three times a day. I am hoping this was the problem."

angela f August 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Thyroid was removed 3 years ago due to hashimoto and nodule hyperplasia. Surgery discovered a substernal thyroid. Prior to surgery and attempts to reduce goiter with synthroid, felt terrible everyday. Multiple diagnosis due to muscle pain,fatigue, insonima, stomach upset, rapid heart beat, irrational blood pressure. Take synthroid every morning 1 hour prior to breakfast. Feel great. No negative side effects. All above symptoms are gone. Age 59!"

Dele August 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "After trying 3 different medicines and a countless number of dosage combinations we found out that my body was not absorbing the tablets properly and the gel capsules allow my body to absorb the proper amounts. After having thyroid cancer at 15 and not being able to find anything that really worked I'm glad we tried this. The only downside is the cost since it is almost triple what I have been paying for every other medications."

Joseyb August 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am so frustrated. My endocrinologist keeps saying my labs are just right on 88 mcg daily of levothyroxine. But I am miserable since thyroidectomy 3 years ago. He originally had me on a higher dose but brought it down twice. I've gained 35 pounds, lost a lot of my hair, have constant headaches, vision problems, body aches and absolutely no energy! The doctor says it's not because of my thyroid meds and says there is no alternative medication and he will not increase the dosage either. I am increasingly depressed by this but don't know where to turn. I have also lost much bone mass but refused Prolia because of known side effects."

Lucinderella (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I had my thyroid out in Feb. of 2016. I was put on 125mgr of generic Synthroid. My blood sugar was dropping below 50 on a daily basis. I looked the problem up on the internet and found that people had the same problem and advocated that I take the brand name drug to correct the problem. For the past two months I have been on the name brand and I seem to be leveling out in the high 60s with my sugar which is ok. I am stuck paying the extra charge not covered by my insurance. roughly $32 per month for 30 pills. Have had no weight gain yet which I am very happy about. I am going to ask my doctor at the end of this month to increase my dosage to bring my sugar up into the 80s or even 90s where it belongs."

Vinojack (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I had my thyroid removed about 2 years ago. I weighed about 190. I was put on 125 mcg Synthroid right after the surgery. I lost about 20 pounds without trying at all. My dosage was increased to 175 mcg. I then started gaining weight. My endocrinologist increased my dosage to 200 mcg. My weight went up to 224 lbs. Never weighed so much before. I've been told by a couple of other doctors that the higher doses of Synthroid should cause weight loss, not gain. I am 72 years old. In general, I have aches and pains, something wrong every day. Don't know if that's Synthroid related or not. But I am very uncomfortable with all this weight, just doing everyday things."

Anonymous April 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I have been on Synthroid 15 years now, two years ago my insurance company would not cover Synthroid any more so they sent me the generic. I broke out in a rash and felt awful. My Dr wrote for synthroid only. I am paying 288.00 a year now out of pocket instead of 16.00. I am not sure what happen but my belly has been bloated every since and I have gained 40 pounds! My new Dr of Internal Medicine does not seem to care and says it's my age bla bla bla. I told her I wanted to be tested for hashimoto and she said there was no doubt in her mind that I have it. My thyroid is totally not working and i am taking 125 Mcg a day. I am not sure what else I can do as she does not seem to want to help. Me gaining 40 pounds is not acceptable."

Gizelle March 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Do not do it! I causes tiredness, mental fog, emotional instability, and depression. The thyroid is critical to mental function. This med will cause you to behave in ways your find surprising. The problem is that this is a T4 only medication. Your body also produces T1, T2, T3."

Denewco March 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking Levothyroxine at 25 MCG in October of 2015, I had my partial removal of my right thyroid gland when I was 19 yrs old. I am now 37 and just started taking meds. I was always tired and overweight. Now I take the medication to be honest I don't feel different anyway. I know I'm always constipated and I'm in the process of trying to lose 20 more lbs but I'm stuck at the weight and it isn't coming off. I was put on thyroid medication by a weight loss doctor and just remained on them after I quit. For years I never took any medication but wake up every morning to take this pill. So far the meds don't really make me feel any different. I'm very active and work out a lot. Just doesn't do much for me but afraid if I stop now I will have side effects."

Robbz5 February 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Unithroid (levothyroxine): "I get sick, angry and depressed from the medicine. I get migraines, I can't take it but through my research I am going to ask for Armour , it is natural but it replaces two hormones and you do need a prescription"

Nadiakash February 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Levoxyl (levothyroxine): "I'm not sure how to rate Levoxyl honestly. I had thyroid cancer and a full thyroidectomy 2 years ago and I still have yet to feel like me again. I'll be good for a few months then they weight goes back on, I'm exhaused, brain fog, and anxiety. I'm on 176mcg and 10mcg T3. I still feel like crap and unable to lose weight. I used to do bikini competitions for bodybuilding so I know how to be motivated to eat clean and hit the gym. I'm do all of this with zero results. I'm beyond frustrated."

Janine10 January 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "just started taking so not sure yet"

Angel in heaven January 15, 2016