User Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal

Also known as: Synthroid, Levoxyl, Euthyrox, Tirosint, Eltroxin, Unithroid, Levo-T, Tirosint-Sol Thyquidity Eutroxsig Novothyrox Evotrox

Levothyroxine has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 120 ratings for the treatment of Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal. 43% of those users who reviewed Levothyroxine reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Levothyroxine Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal.

Reviews for Levothyroxine

Thia · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2021

“After levothroid was no longer manufactured, I tried Levoxyl. My body did not respond well to this. I get hives from synthroid. So, I am on a generic. And since I have no other alternative, I go from Mylan, to the Bayer ,now on Acella.(2 months). My legs are are swollen . Especially my feet. Muscle pain, skin itches and I have a rash. Kidney pain. Gastrointestinal problems. The list goes on. I just wish they would make a decent replacement. I have lived without a thyroid for 49 years. Have not woken up in the morning feeling refreshed. Just as tired as when I went to bed. These are no replacements.”

Moon · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 17, 2021

“I didn't do well using it. I felt awful all the time. If the Dr would have paid closer attention to what my body was saying instead of the test results I wouldn't have suffered over a year and a half with this medicine. It may work for some but is definitely not helpful for all.”

Monimon April 10, 2021

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences with this drug. I couldn’t figure out why my hair was falling out and I was dizzy all the time since I filled my prescription in January at Walmart! Switched back to levothyroxine tonight!”

RD · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 10, 2019

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “I'm so sorry to read all of the terrible experiences some people have had. I can only speak to my situation. I had my thyroid ablated about 5 years ago. It was absolutely the right & necessary thing for me. I am currently taking 88mcg Synthroid, daily. It works great for me. I'm extremely sensitive to meds, so my dr opted to start me on a low dose & check my levels every month until I got a "normal" result. It took a few months. I now am tested every year, but also go by how I'm feeling. My dr is very understanding. FIND A GOOD DR. This med has worked great for me. I'm able to maintain a healthy weight, my hair stopped coming out, my nails are stronger, I have plenty of energy. My other lab numbers are great. I hope this helps someone.”

JoyAnaBoo · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “Walmart switched me to this brand back in April. They assured me it was the exact same thing as the levothyroxine brand I was taking. I had just had labs done in March. Things were good. By early May my TSH had jumped to a 14 from a .40. I had fatigue to the point that I was bed bound. Headaches, sleeplessness, rapid heart rate, sweats, memory issues. This medicine is a dangerous medication. My dr had several other thyroid patients complain of the same medication after Walmart switched them. It is absolutely not the same as what I was taking. This medication will crash your labs and make you feel like the walking dead. It’s shouldn’t be on the market.”

lost31 November 20, 2013

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “My thyroid disease was caught by my determination to find the real cause to my sudden physical & mental change. Long story short I had thyroid cancer twice (2010 & 2012). April 2013 was thyroidectomy, radiation 3 months later. It's taken all my strength not to give up. I'm finally on 175mcg & my endocrinologist is brushing off my complaints of being depressed over nothing, tired, weak, cold, forgetful, wake up to aching feet. She said 2.1 is in range & Synthroid is the solution. It isn't enough! It or my dose isn't jiving with my body. I'm so tired of being tired. Some days it feels like I have cinder blocks tied to my feet.”

Boston22 · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 31, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “Been on Tirosint for 7yrs after switching from other forms of levothyroxine. Been doing great on it, with small dose changes, when needed. 4-months ago, was feeling unwell, endo tested me & my TSH was highest it's been since before I started Tirosint. We increased my dose, I'm now worse with full hypo symptoms that are affecting all areas of my life & functioning (intense pain, fatigue, brain fog, menstrual issues, etc.) Just had my thyroid panel & my TSH has climbed HIGHER, on a Tirosint dose increase -opposite of what should be happening. Hasn't been this high since my thyroid was removed. I contacted the Tirosint manufacturer to see if the formulation has changed -NO RESPONSE. Will contact all the necessary channels to find out what's going on. It seems obvious that it must be the meds, since my issues coincide w/their packaging & capsule sizes changing. I'm livid that they haven't responded. People's lives are at stake. Those without thyroids NEED effective hormone replacement to LIVE.”

DCGIRL · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 28, 2020

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “I went on Tirosint when Levoxyl stopped working after they changed the formulary. It worked great until March or so of this year. Now my hair is falling out, I’ve gained 8 lbs., my temp is 96, I’m exhausted, etc. because of the pandemic, I didn’t figure it out right away. Obviously hypothyroidism and I’m so bummed. Awaiting test results and a consult with my doctor. What did they do to Tirosint? Synthroid or Levoxyl don’t work for me. What do I do next? What a nightmare.”

Cookie · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 28, 2019

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “I had a total thyroidectomy in 2016 after being on thyroid pills for ten years for hyperthyroidism and graves . I also had huge nodules and tumors. After surgery I started on a low dose of Levothyroxine and without even reading my blood work after surgery my Endocronolgy doctor changed my meds I felt fine and wasn’t gaining weight . Then he kept changing it and I started gaining . I went from 90 lbs to 155 lbs in three years and I barely even eat . My current thyroid doctor won’t do a full thyroid panel nor change my dose-age and ignoring my symptoms. I felt better at 125 mcg of Levothyroxine because I was able to lose but he put me back on 100 . I barely eat and get exercise yet I still can’t lose and keep gaining it’s very frustrating.”

Scooter · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 7, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “I am SO GLAD I came on here to look at reviews for this medication, Euthyrox. I have had horrible headaches, dry mouth, brain fog, dizziness, muscle pain, tinnitus, and neck aches. I went to see my ENT because I thought I thought I have something seriously wrong with me. He is scheduling me to have a CAT SCAN done. I'm going to tell my Endocrinologist about my issues with this medication. Getting off this one and see if my issues subside. I was on a different generic med but Wal-Mart switched me to this one. Shame on them!”

Mtn · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “My pharmacy switched my prescription to Euthyrox from levothyroxine which I had been taking for 3 years with no problem. I figured it was maybe due to a supply shortage. The first day I took it, I thought something was terribly wrong with me. I had stomach cramps, heart palpitations, and a bad headache. The second day was worse. When I went to the bathroom, I felt like electricity was going up and down through my body. And another headache. This lasted all day. I decided not to take it the 3rd morning (of course it was the weekend). I called the pharmacy and they replaced it immediately with my previous medication.”

happyJ October 14, 2011

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “I've had my thyroid removed 10 months ago and I started taking the lowest dose of Levothyroxine (generic) six weeks after the surgery. I had my blood work done and dosage adjusted every six weeks until I ended up at 137 mcg daily, 5 months after the surgery. Then I switched to Synthroid brand. All this adjusting was done by an endocrinologist. I feel great, definitely much better than before the surgery when I suffered from severe hyperthyroidism. I did gain some weight right after the surgery but once the dosage was correct, I was able to lose the pounds easily. All of my other symptoms (hair loss, abnormal sweating, fatigue) were gone once the dosage was correct. The right dosage is extremely important.”

CB in TX · Taken for 10 years or more October 25, 2012

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “I had my thyroid removed in 1990 and have been on Synthroid ever since. The dosage has changed over the years. Right now I'm on a dose that requires two pills each morning--the 200mcg plus the 50 mcg. I have to wonder if alot of the symptoms many of us experience isn't due to the Synthroid --but just rather the lack of a thyroid and having to get the hormone from a pill? Maybe it just doesn't ever feel quite the same no matter what brand it is. I am usually tired. I can't get enough sleep. Often am achey too. I have always been prone to anxiety and depression and have been on Effexor for years. That helps with alot of symptoms I had (night sweats, mood issues etc) but still so tired.”

KA · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “Thyroid removed in 2014 due to cancer. Have been on every medicine out there. I was happy on Naturethroid until change in 2018 and it quit working. Not happy with NP or Synthroid. Just tried Tirosint 6 weeks ago. Noticed a lot of aches and pains have disappeared. Although this med is absorbed much easier for me and I had to start skipping a day every 5th day on 125. If I didn't - I experienced pains in lower legs and other signs of over treatment. I just got my blood work and TSH was 1.19. So its working very well. Could prob go on 100 but Dr is happy with what I am doing. I had a small amount of hashimoto in my removed thyroid. This med is stronger than levo so be careful when switching. I was on 135 levo before the switch and started on 125 of this med and I could tell it was still too much. I even eat breakfast with mine. It doesn't even bother it. So those with gastro issues try eating with your dose. I'm happy and hope it stays this way for a while. I'm tired of switching meds.”

rick August 6, 2020

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “Many doctors have begun to realize that many people are allergic to the ten or more additives in Synthroid. I had papillary thyroid cancer over 30 years ago. I had surgery and I have been sick for over 30 years. The brain fog was terrible. I have fired more than 20 doctors over this time. They always said, "Your lab report says your levels are fine". On my second visit to a holistic doctor, she changed me to Tirosint, which has no additives. Tirosint is relatively new and in produced in Europe. TRY TIROSINT. Please….You will not be sorry.”

AN · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2021

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “I just stumbled across this site because I am looking for the cause of extreme hair loss which started a few months ago. My hair started shedding heavily in the summer & just got worse. Comes out in strands. I thought it was just stress, but I started wondering if something I was taking caused it. Then I remembered a few months back WM pharmacy substituted my regular Levothyroxin with Euthrox. Had WM print my meds out for last 2 years. I was given 90 days of Euthrox early Aug. 2020. Now I'm wondering if some other symptoms, like high anxiety, were caused by the change. Will not accept it again.”

Angel · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 27, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “I have taken levothyroxine for years, usually Sandoz. My pharmacist changed my script to Euthyrox 2 months ago. I noticed the last 2 weeks my head is in a fog, want to sleep more than usual. I’m very disappointed and will talk to my dr about this.”

DeboraL. January 7, 2014

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “I had my thyroid irradiated in 2005 due to Grave's disease caused by Hep C treatment (Ribivirin & Interferon). At first I saw an endocrinologist that prescribed Armour Thyroid but loss of job and insurance forced me to go to a free clinic, where I receive Synthroid. The clinic doesn't seem to understand the difference between experiencing low thyroid levels from naturally occurring hypothyroidism, & complete loss of thyroid. My NP says to me, incredulously, "You take an awful lot of thyroid!", & at that time I was only taking 75mcg a day. Finally after three years of 75 to 100mcg, when I felt absolutely crazy (tired, confused, hair loss, cranky, paranoid, angry, enormous weight gain), she now has me on 150mcg which seems not perfect but better.”

Thyroid Girl August 10, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “It was discover that I had a nodule/goiter on one my thyroids and the other wasn't functioning at all. After all the tests, I was put on Levothyroxine generic. I had all the symptoms named in all the other comments. But to come to find out, I couldn't take the generic. I was switched to synthroid and have been on it for over 30 years. I had to get it adjusted correctly, over the years, finally got it settled. All the symptoms gradually went away and I have been doing great since. This one has done the job for me. The only thing I have to say is that once on this medication, the weight maintenance has been constant with good diet and exercise. I have always separated vitamins and thyroid med, vitamins in the morning and meds at night. It has worked so far and feeling great. I will continue on this medication. To all, do not give up. There is something that will work with your body and it will be like a miracle. This was my miracle.”

Kat · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 12, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “I have been on Tirosint for 21 months along with a T3 only med. But for the past month I have been exhibiting hypo symptoms when nothing else has changed. This is for the 100 mcg dosage. I called the number on the box and reported my symptoms. The woman said she has been getting other complaints and recently, too. What's important to note is that in December 2018 Tirosint changed distributors. I think there is a batch consistency issue. I am sleeping 12 hours a night, having depression (nothing changed in my life), increased joint pain and severe fatigue. The only reason I rated it an 8 is because for the first year-and-a-half, with the old distributor, I had no issues. I REALLY don't want to change thyroid meds again. That would be devastating.”

Anonymous January 18, 2011

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “I was put on Synthroid after having my thyroid removed due to cancer 6 yrs ago. I think I've been put on every dosage there is. I have not felt the same since. I'm always tired, I wake up wanting to rip someones head off, armpits sweat horribly, cry over nothing, depressed, hair loss, always colder or hotter then people around me, no energy etc. but when I talk to my doctor and explain my issues I'm told that I'm fine. (I beg to differ, needless to say I'm going to see a new doctor next visit). Though I'm sure Synthroid is a wonderful medication, it just doesn't seem to be working for me in my opinion... my doctor seems to think different.”

noname817 October 11, 2013

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “I have been on synthroid for 20 years. My dosage is 100... To the person whose thyroid was removed and dosage is 250... Sounds a bit high. My tsh level was also 2. 54 the last time I went to the doctor and I feel better than I have in a long time. Anytime I feel a little psycho and mean. I know my levels are off.”

50yrOldMan March 29, 2011

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “My surgeon took charge of my Synthroid medicines - big mistake - it was not until I saw an endocrinologist that I found the correct dosage and felt better. It took 18 months to find the correct dosage. I now take 0.2mg Mon-Fri and add 0.05mg on the weekends. This works for me. I had many problems before I got the right dose, and my surgeon said they were not from the Synthroid - he was wrong. I had extreme fatigue, sleeping 10 hours per night and 1 hour in the afternoons. I had trouble remembering things, as well as the inability to concentrate. I was off balance and frequently missed steps and curbs while walking. As well as often feeling like I was going to black out or faint - never did. With the correct dose everything is much better.”

Loving Tirosint · Taken for less than 1 month November 23, 2016

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “I was on levothyroxine for a year after my cancer surgery/thyroid removal. it was the worst year of my life. I was seriously hating life, because I hurt every single day. Muscle aches, swelling, every symptom you can imagine. Weight gain was the worst. I fired my endo and waited two months to see the new one. If I wasn't married, I'd propose to the man. In three weeks my life has changed. I can go to the gym, and not feel like I have been hit by a truck. No muscle aches. I have lost 9 lbs. Brain fog is lifting. I sleep better, and my I don't feel like a 47 year old stuck in a 90 year old body. I will pay ANY amount of money and I will NEVER go back.”

JennieBennie · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 3, 2012

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “After being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, had radioactive iodine treatment in 2004. Was put on Synthroid because the radioactive iodine caused hypothyroidism. When this first happened, I had my levels checked every 3 months, and Synthroid levels were adjusted accordingly to fit my needs. We moved the panels to every 6 months for testing, and then yearly. At this point we are at 150mcgs and I feel great. It has been a journey but Synthroid works better for me than the generic, which we tried for a short time. It depends on what works for you and your body. Don't be afraid to let your endocrinologist know if something isn't working for you, you know yourself best. Good luck.”

Anonymous March 5, 2010

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “I had my thyroid removed almost a year ago and I can agree that while I have not lost any weight using this drug I have not gained any either. I have had horrible mood swings and lost a great deal of my hair. My Doctor refuses to change the dosage because she says "I'm within normal range" whatever that means? I do feel like I'm experiencing memory loss or having problems concentrating.”

Ree August 11, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “Graves Disease/RAI Diagnosed 2004 Today is day 19 on Tirosint I have rapid heart heartbeat, shortness of breath, waking up gasping for air, body sore in the weirdest places, hips, calves, under both arm pits, as if they are bruised. MAJOR anxiety, I feel like I am vibrating throughout my entire body, shaking so bad I sliced my finger open cutting veggies earlier. Zero history of any sort of anxiety issues. Have experienced a few episodes of leg cramping but the seized muscle from my neck down into my shoulder on the left side is very painful. Maybe the dose is too high because it is a concentrated more natural version, which I understand, not chancing anything more serious. I have read wonderful reviews about this medication & we are all different, this is simply my experience.”

Missy August 29, 2020

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “I was on name brand synthroid from 2008 until 2019, my doctor switched me to tirosint thinking that I would have less heart palpitaions and better absorption. I was on 200mcg of synthroid, tsh was 0.01, I am now on 112mcg of tirosint with a tsh of 0.1. I gained a significant amount of weight so my endo dr added 5mcg of t3, I have not lost any of the weight. Since starting the tirosint, my weight has increased from 116lbs to 130-131. I exercise and move a lot and do watch what I eat, although I do allow sweets in moderation as I always have. I have also noticed an increase in hair loss, a lot of hair loss, and very dry hair, thankfully I have thick hair but the dryness is awful. Long story short, I don't believe tirosint is the right medication for me as I have gained so much weight and lost a large amount of hair, even with the added t3 which didn't help to change the weight issues. I will be requesting to go back to name brand synthroid with the added t3 to see if this helps.”