User Reviews for Levothyroxine

Also known as: Eltroxin, Euthyrox, Eutroxsig, Evotrox, L Thyroxine Roche, Levo-T, Levotabs, Levotec, Levothroid, Levothyrox, Levoxyl, Novothyrox, Oroxine, Synthroid, Tirosint, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levothyroxine.

Levothyroxine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal.

Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal

"I am so frustrated. My endocrinologist keeps saying my labs are just right on 88 mcg daily of levothyroxine. But I am miserable since thyroidectomy 3 years ago. He originally had me on a higher dose but brought it down twice. I've gained 35 pounds, lost a lot of my hair, have constant headaches, vision problems, body aches and absolutely no energy! The doctor says it's not because of my thyroid meds and says there is no alternative medication and he will not increase the dosage either. I am increasingly depressed by this but don't know where to turn. I have also lost much bone mass but refused Prolia because of known side effects."

Lucinderella (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 15, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I had my thyroid out in Feb. of 2016. I was put on 125mgr of generic Synthroid. My blood sugar was dropping below 50 on a daily basis. I looked the problem up on the internet and found that people had the same problem and advocated that I take the brand name drug to correct the problem. For the past two months I have been on the name brand and I seem to be leveling out in the high 60s with my sugar which is ok. I am stuck paying the extra charge not covered by my insurance. roughly $32 per month for 30 pills. Have had no weight gain yet which I am very happy about. I am going to ask my doctor at the end of this month to increase my dosage to bring my sugar up into the 80s or even 90s where it belongs."

Vinojack (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I had my thyroid removed about 2 years ago. I weighed about 190. I was put on 125 mcg Synthroid right after the surgery. I lost about 20 pounds without trying at all. My dosage was increased to 175 mcg. I then started gaining weight. My endocrinologist increased my dosage to 200 mcg. My weight went up to 224 lbs. Never weighed so much before. I've been told by a couple of other doctors that the higher doses of Synthroid should cause weight loss, not gain. I am 72 years old. In general, I have aches and pains, something wrong every day. Don't know if that's Synthroid related or not. But I am very uncomfortable with all this weight, just doing everyday things."

Anonymous April 12, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I have been on Synthroid 15 years now, two years ago my insurance company would not cover Synthroid any more so they sent me the generic. I broke out in a rash and felt awful. My Dr wrote for synthroid only. I am paying 288.00 a year now out of pocket instead of 16.00. I am not sure what happen but my belly has been bloated every since and I have gained 40 pounds! My new Dr of Internal Medicine does not seem to care and says it's my age bla bla bla. I told her I wanted to be tested for hashimoto and she said there was no doubt in her mind that I have it. My thyroid is totally not working and i am taking 125 Mcg a day. I am not sure what else I can do as she does not seem to want to help. Me gaining 40 pounds is not acceptable."

Gizelle March 24, 2016

"Do not do it! I causes tiredness, mental fog, emotional instability, and depression. The thyroid is critical to mental function. This med will cause you to behave in ways your find surprising. The problem is that this is a T4 only medication. Your body also produces T1, T2, T3."

Denewco March 4, 2016

"I began taking Levothyroxine at 25 MCG in October of 2015, I had my partial removal of my right thyroid gland when I was 19 yrs old. I am now 37 and just started taking meds. I was always tired and overweight. Now I take the medication to be honest I don't feel different anyway. I know I'm always constipated and I'm in the process of trying to lose 20 more lbs but I'm stuck at the weight and it isn't coming off. I was put on thyroid medication by a weight loss doctor and just remained on them after I quit. For years I never took any medication but wake up every morning to take this pill. So far the meds don't really make me feel any different. I'm very active and work out a lot. Just doesn't do much for me but afraid if I stop now I will have side effects."

Robbz5 February 28, 2016

Unithroid (levothyroxine): "I get sick, angry and depressed from the medicine. I get migraines, I can't take it but through my research I am going to ask for Armour , it is natural but it replaces two hormones and you do need a prescription"

Nadiakash February 6, 2016

Levoxyl (levothyroxine): "I'm not sure how to rate Levoxyl honestly. I had thyroid cancer and a full thyroidectomy 2 years ago and I still have yet to feel like me again. I'll be good for a few months then they weight goes back on, I'm exhaused, brain fog, and anxiety. I'm on 176mcg and 10mcg T3. I still feel like crap and unable to lose weight. I used to do bikini competitions for bodybuilding so I know how to be motivated to eat clean and hit the gym. I'm do all of this with zero results. I'm beyond frustrated."

Janine10 January 29, 2016

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "just started taking so not sure yet"

Angel in heaven January 15, 2016

Levoxyl (levothyroxine): "I've used this drug for years until the recall. I take 175 mcg. I switched to Synthroid and it was "just okay." I missed Levoxyl. After I learned Levoxyl returned to the market I requested to be placed back on it. I've had several problems with my TSH levels being too low (0.02 and 0.03!) meaning that my dose is too high."

Mrs. 13 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2015

"Diagnosed Summer of 2000 with Graves' disease. (I was a hot mess with a huge goiter in my throat and my eyes were bulgy along with hair falling out and weight loss mood changes) (5-6 years prior to finally being diagnosed with Graves, Drs thought I had major depression and anxiety) A few weeks later I had radiation therapy to kill off my thyroid. Endocrinologist put me on non generic Synthroid. Then the Symthroid was recalled and I panicked. I have to be on this Med if not my life is over. But then dr put me on Levothyroxine and I'm here today. It actually works better than the Synthroid. I'm currently on .200 MCG a day."

Roberta Z September 30, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "My thyroid was removed in September 1993 due to Papillary Carcinoma. After removal and treatment, I was put on generic synthroid and could not get my levels regulated. After a time, I was put on brand name Synthroid and levelled out. I am unable to take the generic."

Marykp83 September 23, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Due to variances in generic medications I kept experiencing thyroid fog until my doctor changed me to synthroid. My stats immediately stabilize and it has worked well. I found I must take it as prescribed and at the same time daily to avoid the fog."

Willmarqz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 20, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I was taking Levothyroid 75mcg. Lost 15 pounds, stomach pain, unable to eat, shaky, unable to think or exercise. Also have dark, stone hard stools. Will see my endocrinologist next week. When in my 30's, took Synthyroid for 16 years with no problems, then all went as above. Took Levothyroid by Forest for 4 years with no problems until it was taken of the market about 2 years ago."

Borega June 20, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "Due to thyroidectomy I am hypo thyroid .While on synthroid I felt awful. High anxiety, quick to anger. Definitely did not like this drug. I like levoxly and naturethroid. Doing better. Keep trying other meds if you feel awful."

l2b (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I had a goiter in my teens that was treated with radioactive iodine, I've been on synthroid for almost ten years, having trouble finding the right dose, I was on 125mcg for a few years but my TSH jumped around a lot, last time I checked it was around 30, so not good, I decided to try 150mcg at first I had a bit of insomnia but otherwise I felt great, going to find out on Saturday if it's been working as good as I thought, I ran out 3 days ago... and I've already gained a bit of weight (looks like I'm bloated) and woke up this morning depressed, oh well I get more on Saturday"

tmir554 April 9, 2015

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "In a nutshell I had my thyroid removed ten years ago. I had a lot of horrible symptoms that I can only describe myself as feeling like a 100 year severely arthritic woman. My lab results seemed to always came out within range no matter what dosage I was on. I even called the synthroid company to discuss the various doses and learned the only difference between the doses I was trying besides the amount of thyroid hormone as the food coloring. In a quick internet search I learned my symptoms might be related to the food dyes. My endo rewrote my prescription using no dye tablets. With one week I had no pain. I take two 50mcg daily and on Monday and Thursday I add a half tablet. Life is good!"

SaltWaterTaffy March 26, 2015

Eltroxin (levothyroxine): "Felt normal after thyroid removal. A year after as at now, I feel a bit slow and experience forgetfulness, not quick to remember especially names."

Sam Asare November 8, 2014

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "The best I have felt since removal of thyroid in July of 2012 after trying combination of dosage to eliminate the dye and other additives."

bbmjenjen1 March 12, 2014

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I had my thyroid irradiated in 2005 due to Grave's disease caused by Hep C treatment (Ribivirin & Interferon). At first I saw an endocrinologist that prescribed Armour Thyroid but loss of job and insurance forced me to go to a free clinic, where I receive Synthroid. The clinic doesn't seem to understand the difference between experiencing low thyroid levels from naturally occurring hypothyroidism, & complete loss of thyroid. My NP says to me, incredulously, "You take an awful lot of thyroid!", & at that time I was only taking 75mcg a day. Finally after three years of 75 to 100mcg, when I felt absolutely crazy (tired, confused, hair loss, cranky, paranoid, angry, enormous weight gain), she now has me on 150mcg which seems not perfect but better."

DeboraL. January 7, 2014

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"One month after being on Levothyroxine (only 25mcg), my hair started to fall out like crazy. (did not have hair loss problem before). I lost 40% of my hair volume in the 4 month-period. I took my courage to stop taking it. 2 days after stopping, my hair loss has gradually subsided. 3 weeks after I stopped the medicine, my hair loss has started to go back to normal. I am hoping my hair to grow back. Another side effect I suggest from the medicine is that I have "burning & dry mouth". That made me very uncomfortable. I feel like a normal person without the medicine. I still have issues with the dry mouth sensation, but a lot better. I hope it will go away."

hwu November 25, 2013

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "My thyroid disease was caught by my determination to find the real cause to my sudden physical & mental change. Long story short I had thyroid cancer twice (2010 & 2012). April 2013 was thyroidectomy, radiation 3 months later. It's taken all my strength not to give up. I'm finally on 175mcg & my endocrinologist is brushing off my complaints of being depressed over nothing, tired, weak, cold, forgetful, wake up to aching feet. She said 2.1 is in range & Synthroid is the solution. It isn't enough! It or my dose isn't jiving with my body. I'm so tired of being tired. Some days it feels like I have cinder blocks tied to my feet."

lost31 November 20, 2013

180 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I have had thyroid surgery two months ago. I take my daily dosage of levothyroxine every morning before breakfast and I am doing great."

Tulsiebud October 25, 2013

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Synthroid (levothyroxine): "I have been on synthroid for 20 years. My dosage is 100...To the person whose thyroid was removed and dosage is 250...Sounds a bit high. My tsh level was also 2. 54 the last time I went to the doctor and I feel better than I have in a long time. Anytime I feel a little psycho and mean. I know my levels are off."

noname817 October 11, 2013

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Tirosint (levothyroxine): "I started Tirosint after Levoxyl was taken from the market. It is the best. I take this in combination with Liothyronine. Aside from insomnia, which I have experienced with every other medicine as well, and I've taken them all, this is the best I've felt in years. "

24ann25 August 19, 2013