User Reviews for Levothyroxine to treat Hashimoto's disease

Also known as: Synthroid, Levoxyl, Euthyrox, Tirosint, Eltroxin, Unithroid, Levo-T, Tirosint-Sol Thyquidity Eutroxsig Novothyrox Evotrox

Levothyroxine has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 131 ratings for the treatment of Hashimoto's disease. 50% of those users who reviewed Levothyroxine reported a positive effect, while 46% reported a negative effect.

Levothyroxine Rating Summary

5.6/10 average rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Hashimoto's disease.

Reviews for Levothyroxine

Jen312 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2021

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “I've been on Levothyroxine for over 10 years and haven't had any issues. All my levels have been great. Wal-Mart pharmacy prescribed Euthyrox in place of my Levothyroxine, stating it was the same and it is NOT THE SAME!! After two months of missed periods, weight gain, brain fog, moody, depression, etc. and now my blood work has CONFIRMED my levels are all off balance for the first time in over 10 years!!! DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICINE!! Wal-Mart, please STOP using this!! My Dr. has switched my prescription to Walgreen's and I am now back on Levothyroxine once again and throwing Euthyrox in the TRASH!! Beware it is not the same and you will be messed up!! Euthyrox should be removed and I am reporting it everywhere I can report it!!”

Lonesome Dove · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 15, 2021

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “Oh my goodness! My endocrinologist switched me from Synthroid to Tirosint because I wasn't absorbing the Synthroid. After taking Tirosint for awhile, I started to become suicidally depressed. I'm not on many Rx, but I felt Tirosint was the culprit. I stopped taking it all together about 2.5 weeks ago. Guess what? I'm happy. (I did this on my own. Consult with doctor.) I'm not one who's into supplements, but I researched and researched and found that Selenium is supposed to help your thyroid. I've been taking Selenium since I've been off Tirosint. (Again, ask your doctor.) I'm now just taking Selenium (again, talk to doctor) and I feel great. I would NOT recommend this drug to anyone.”

JJ April 12, 2021

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “I am so thankful I found this page. I literally thought something was seriously wrong. I have had the same exact experience as all the 1 star reviews. Unfortunately, I have been too ignorant of the change to put how I am feeling and the med switch together until now. I would give a negative number on effectiveness of this drug if I could. It was like taking a sugar pill.”

Bee · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “I was switched to Euthyrox by the pharmacist at Walmart and did not notice until I got home. I called the pharmacy and asked about the drug, and was told it was the same medication, just another brand. It is not. The first day I took it I had a migraine headache, and shortness of breath. I thought it was just me, so I went on and stayed on the medication for 2 weeks, thinking my symptoms would improve. They got worse. By the time I was 2 weeks in to taking this medication, I could barely get out of bed. It was like being in a fog all the time, with absolutely no relief. I called back and spoke to the pharmacist, this time getting a different person. He told me that my Dr could specify Synthroid and they would make sure to keep it in stock. I messaged my endocrinologist and he quickly sent in the prescription specifying Synthroid only. I am already feeling better. Please do NOT take this medication.”

Rita · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 19, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “After 12 years of struggling with Synthroid and also trying NP Thyroid which was worse. I finally found an Endocrinologist that agreed that the binders in other thyroid medications were causing my Hashimoto’s autoimmune to react therefore kept my TSH to not be in control. I have been on Tirosint for a little over a year and have noticed a great improvement to the point of not having hypothyroid symptoms. I would suggest the makers of Tirosint should make it clear of the importance of allowing 4 hours from taking the medication and eating or taking other supplements so it does not interfere. I am forever grateful to the Manufacturers of Tirosint for making this very clean thyroid medication because binders really do play a factor in Hashimoto’s. I just hope I do not develop a sensitivity to glycerin.”

mls · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “This drug is causing all kinds of awful issues. My hair is falling out, I'm completely exhausted, want to sleep all day/night, can't think straight, can't make it through my work day, loose stools, headaches, cold. Increased heart palpitations. I feel exactly as I did when I wasn't taking any thing.”

ACBarrie May 12, 2013

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “I was affected by the Levoxyl recall and was devastated. I had been on Levoxyl for Hashimotos for about 3 years, it was the only thyroid med that made me feel what I thought at the time was 'good'. Looking back, I wasn't good at all...no sex drive, weight gain, swollen face, extreme anxiety. I switchd to Tirosint about a month ago and when I noticed these side effects dissipating I was ECSTATIC but also so confused! I had no idea the Levoxyl was causing so much negativity in my life. Tirosint has NO Fillers, and for that reason...all those negative side effects from Levoxyl were gone. I dropped 5 lbs almost immediately taking me back to my post Hashimotos weight. Sex drive was back, anxiety decreased. Best of all, I'm just happy again!”

Doesn’t matter · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 3, 2020

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “This stuff is just awful ! I’ve had my TSH go as high as 52.0 (wasn’t aware is was that out of control) and felt better than, than I do now on years of treatment on brand name synthroid! Endocrinologist just doesn’t seem to agree ? And now I have a whole new set of symptoms such as itchiness all over, horrible anxiety, headaches, weight gain, the list goes on and on, and nothing new has been added to my daily routine, I know it’s this medication, I hate it. Just throwing this out there for anyone else that so that you know your not crazy ! Good luck !”

Sally · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2020

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “I was prescribed Tirosint-SOL in May, 2020 for Hashimoto's disease. The first month was fine with slight heart racing at night. Then on July 1, had chest pains during the night. I stopped taking Tirosint and called my doctor. At first I thought it was COVID19, and I got tested - it was negative. I stopped taking all Thyroid medicine. Had chest pains throughout July. Well, long story short, I had emergency triple bypass operation on July 27. I am 65 years old and without any other health issues. I do NOT recommend this medication. The side effects can be awful. I do not want anyone to go through this experience.”

Beth · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 11, 2020

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “I have been on Tirosint for 5 year and have done fairly well on it. This past April 2020 I noticed the distributor of the drug changed but thought nothing of it. I then developed a pain in my left shoulder and also began to have an incredibly itchy rash located on my front shins. My Endo suggested it looked like an allergic reaction. We increased my dose to a higher one over five days and when I started the higher dose the rash got better but then returned. I have now switched to Synthroid and the rash has gone completely. I suspect the casing of the drug has changed with the new distributor, which doesn't make much sense. I think something has happened to the drug that they aren't telling us.”

LJL · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “This drug has many side effects that I am experiencing. Labored breathing - hair loss - blurred vision - fatigue - chest pain - heart skipping beats - nausea - insomnia - was taking a little oblong yellow levorthyroxin that worked great - drug store changed companies and this pill is round white.”

Anonymous March 17, 2020

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “Synthroid is terrible it fave me an exacerbation of mental health symptoms! Nervous, restless, anxiety, fatigue, constant dark thoughts and depression. My TSH dropped from .50 to .02 and still no symptoms of hyper just the same symptoms of hypo. Weight gain, tired, depression. I thought I was losing my mind! Trying to adjust psyche meds thinking that was the issue didn't work cuz it was the levo causing the problem. It's difficult to separate symptoms of mental health problems from thyroid problems because they can be similar. Got a referral from PCP to see an Endocrinologist. They switched me to Armour. Significant improvement. Levothyroxine stinks! I'd rather take no thyroid medication and suffer the consequences than take Levothyroxine. ”

Notalone December 11, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “Walmart switched my prescription from levothyroxine to Euthyrox about 4 months ago. I noticed that I had been feeling off for a long time but chalked it up to 2020 blues. I started having terrible heart palpitations though and knew something was wrong. Went to GP and she put me on an anxiety med. I didn’t think to tell her that they switched the prescription because the pharmacist told me it was the same medication. The palpitations continued and they got so bad that my husband started looking up reviews for everything I take including vitamins and found out that this drug causes heart issues. I called my doc and got it switched back. The pharmacy tried to give me Euthyrox again and said that they have to special order the levothyroxin and it costs 5x as much as it used to. This sucks.”

dancemama84 November 14, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “I was switched from my normal levothyroxine to Euthyrox recently because Walmart pharmacy switched me (without asking me). I was told the blister pack was a better option because it maintains the freshness of the medication which is supposed to make it work “better.” My TSH typically sits around .9-1.2 and now I’m at 3.69 as of last week. The only thing that has changed is my medication! I’ve felt terrible - very cold, lots of crushing headaches again, joint paint, fatigue...I’m afraid it’s from switching over to this med. I’m calling my endocrinologist to try and move my rx to a different pharmacy to see if I can get off the Euthyrox.”

Mimi · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 24, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “Walmart keeps switching my thyroid medication brand. They gave me this one and I googled it. It was recalled in Europe. It is a very dangerous drug. I have contacted my physician and refuse to use it. I do not need more problems. Your pharmacy should never change your thyroid prescription brand. Medications should only be changed for a medical reason, not financial purpose.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “I am not the patient but have power of attorney for her. She's my mother in law and I've been caring for her medical needs for more than 15 years. She has Alzheimers disease and is now in memory care. I've been unable to visit her since the Covid started. We can talk through the mobile phone and see her through a window. She is so frail now. Losing weight. Won't eat much. Sleeps almost continually. Begs to see her family. Was changed from Levothyroxine about 3 months ago to Tirosint. Going downhill continually. 95 years old and getting good care in her memory facility (we are lucky). But this drug seems to be making her worse. Get used to it. This is what Socialized Medicine looks like.”

LoLo · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “I have had Hashimoto's for 8 years. Tried Levoxyl, Synthroid, Armour thyroid, Finally went to generic since they all seemed about the same and the cost was far less. I felt great, very stable TSH etc. Walmart switched to Euthrox with my last refill and I feel absolutely horrible. Low energy, weight gain, complete brain fog and many many more. Since it was a new med, I alternated it every other day with my old generic and this. Felt ok, so I swithched to Euthrox daily and honestly feel as if I am taking NOTHING. Glad to hear it seems to be an almost universal complaint. I plan on visiting Walmart tomorrow to see if there is anything they can do about replacing this horrible medication.”

Akj August 14, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “Started this Euthyrox about a month ago after Walmart switched me to it. Since then I’m having daily headaches, sometimes migraines, more hair loss, and fatigue. Called Walmart and they switched me back to my previous manufacturer with no problem. This brand didn’t work for me.”

Paw · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 18, 2018

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “Had my thyroid removed 2 years ago. Was put on synthroid and have felt terrible ever since. Weight gain, joint and muscle pain, blurred vision, tremors, hair loss, constipation, irregular heart beat, stomach problems and the list goes on. Doctor tells me my numbers are fine and I should be put on an anti-depressent. Really. That's because they don't know enough about thyroid disease and keep pushing the drugs. This drug is next to poison but no one listens to us . We are held hostage to these doctors that don't care. Where do we turn to because I we are suffering. Help!!!”

LeighaV · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2015

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “I have have Hashimotos. Tirosint has changed my life for the good!!!! I have taken it for four months and I have felt like a human being again. I was a like a zombie for 10 years on stupid Armour. Fortunately I received a bad batch of Armour that sent me to the ER twice last October which prompted my medication change to Tirosint. I want to let everyone know with Hashimotos that Tirosint is truly a God sent medication. I hope it works for you like it has for me. I had no idea how sick I was on stupid Armour. That's what I call it because Armour made me stupid. I couldn't think straight while taking it. Now with Tirosint I'm a force to be reckoned with!! I have a New job and have tons of energy! I have been reorganizing and cleaning my house”

Frank · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's a year ago and have had an underactive thyroid. I have spent years feeling very tired, irritable, depressed, no energy, no strength, no endurance, in a brain fog, crazy periods, joint pain, list goes on....overall not well. I was considered subclinical with TSH of 7 and my endocrinologist prescribed me 13mcg of Tirosint, the lowest dose. She said if it helps, great, but if not, I can stop taking it and try wait and see approach. I felt better the first day after taking the medication. I had a little more energy and was able to concentrate more than usual. I started a journal and each day I was noticing how much better I was feeling. Now it has been 4 weeks and I feel better than I have in years.”

Thatgirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2020

Euthyrox (levothyroxine): “I was on Levothyroxine for three years. Three months ago Walmart (without permission) changed my prescription to Euthyrox. At the time, I didn't think it would matter so I took it as I had my previous med. I started having leg and hip pain - then extreme brain fog - tingling and numb extremities - depression. I went to to the dr and was told my levels were w/in range. The dr stated he had not heard of Euthyrox. Nothing has changed in my life (other than COVID), but the med. I called Walmart and they told me they could no longer get Levothyroxine. The pharmacist explained that Euthyrox was much better in foil packs and would not lose its purpose as Levothroxine would once it was open. After reading other comments, I'm switching back and to another pharmacy”

Anonymous August 23, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “I started taking this drug Tirosint a year ago and initially felt more awake, energetic and happier. I lost some weight and was back to a comfortable maintenance weight pre-thyroid issues, but in the past few months, I have gained it all back and then some more. I honestly notice no difference in my energy levels now and in fact notice my immune system is much worse than before. I think this may all be due to the recent change in manufacturer, as all the side effects have shown up since early this year, but I’m ready to be off this drug.”

MrsDMarshall · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 22, 2014

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “Tirosint is a God sent medication, after many side effects from generic and brand name Synthroid it was determined that I should try this brand. I was never normal until this medication (metabolically, physically or mentally). It just works best. I am my old me again before Hasimoto's disease.”

Pilatescrazy February 25, 2014

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “I have had Hashimoto's since I was in my 30's. Everything I take starts problems with my stomach, skin, hair, and nails. My doctor gave me 2 month supply of Tirosint and I felt 100% better. I am now switching to Tirosint and hoping that it continues to work.”

Dore · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 8, 2019

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “So sorry some of you are having this experience with Synthroid. I have been on this medication for 8 years now. When I started out with it, I had many of the same symptoms of all of you for about nine months. During that time I went thru 5 medication adjustments. Started out at 25 mcg , then ended up at 100mcg. Then went to taking the 100 mcg 5 times a week and cutting the pill in half two days. What worked for me is the following: -Take exactly the same time every morning -Do not eat or drink anything within the hour after that -Some medications and supplements interfere with the absorption of it. Take them 4 to 6 hours before or after. This is important because Synthroid is a narrow therapeutic dosing drug. In other words, if your dose isn't just right, you will experience all the negative side effects of both hypo and drug side effects. - If your dr isn't willing to adjust the dose for you like my dr has, find another dr.”

Nani July 30, 2019

Synthroid (levothyroxine): “I was drinking Levoxyl and I was living a normal life and my doctor changed me to synthroid and it’s being a living nightmare my doctor doesn’t want to change me back to Levoxyl because he thinks it’s just my mind ”

Big Bird November 16, 2019

Tirosint (levothyroxine): “Hypo/Hsahis - 42 years. I recently moved and I went to an Endocrinologist that looked at the last several years of labs and advised she could see I was not absorbing meds, so she put me on Tirosint. My TSH was 14.99. 3 weeks later, my TSH was .78. After that, depression, anxiety, irritability, mood swings and major bathroom issues around the clock for a month. Went to Mayo Clinic to figure this out and after 2 months on Tirosint, my TSH was 43.2. No one believes I am taking meds. Yes, I am. Mayo put me on NP Thyroid last week. Tirosint had already done it's damage to my gut. I ended up in the ER Monday with severe stomach pains/bloating, pressure, pain, bleeding. CT scan revealed ulcerative colitis. I took med as prescribed. Dr. that prescribed it to me called me and told me that she can CLEARLY see I stopped taking my medication over 2 weeks ago. No. I have no thyroid, my Hashis attacked it and it is no longer there. I am 100% dependent on thyroid replacement now.”

Learn more about Hashimoto's disease