User Reviews for NP Thyroid to treat Underactive Thyroid

NP Thyroid has an average rating of 2.9 out of 10 from a total of 101 ratings for the treatment of Underactive Thyroid. 20% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 77% reported a negative effect.

NP Thyroid Rating Summary

2.9/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for NP Thyroid

Amarie · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2020

“DO NOT TAKE THIS I was on Nature Throid with no problems for about a year before being switched to this garbage due to recall. I took NP thyroid for about a week and ended up in the back of an ambulance this morning because my husband thought I was having a heart attack. I am a 30 year old female athlete with no underlying health conditions other than an "underactive thyroid". The past week on it has been a blur. Brain fog, irritability, heart palpitations, achy body and joints, breathlessness, migraines, nausea, dizziness, EXTREME fatigue and anxiety. I don't know what's in this stuff but it NEEDS to be pulled. There is something VERY wrong with NP thyroid. Stay FAR away from this stuff.”

Elizabeth · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 6, 2019

“Do not take this medicine! Started in July. He gave me samples first. Those were good. Did blood work again, doubled dosage and got script in August. My hair dried out and started falling out. Then insomnia, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, crying for no reason, menstrual cycle irregular, throat burning, stomach hurt, headaches, very greasy, complete brain fog, itchy with bumps, could barely talk, bad back shoulder and neck pain. Barely functioning day to day, I felt empty inside, like I was loosing it. l couldn't talk right. I was waking up at 12 am wide awake, couldn't relax, completely amped and exhausted at the same time. I didn't understand what was happening. I stopped taking it. Everyday my brain got clearer and felt more like me, my personality came back. I have always been healthy and didn't look at the side effects. I feel stupid for not, lesson learned. This isn't ok! I'm so glad I found this site and it all makes sense now. Please report this! I am!”

Annie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2020

“I’m updated everyone from my September 2019 post under the name "Annie 55 yrs old". I took NP Thyroid for 1 month and 5 days before stopping the med. I had 3 months of massive hair loss, and a roller coaster of emotions. I lost 95% of my hair. It is now coming back, thankfully, and I also feel like my emotions are back in check. NP Thyroid, I believe is the cause for my hair loss. I just received a letter from Kroger(where I had my prescription filled) that there’s a recall for certain lot numbers of NP Thyroid because testing found these lots are super potent and may have 115.0% of the labeled amount of Liothyronine(T3)! This is unbelievable and so wrong! Everyone who starts feeling worse on this med needs to stop immediately and get on something else. I made a report with the FDA and haven’t heard back since last September, very disappointed with them as well. This should be rated a 0 instead of 1.”

Denise February 12, 2020

“I’ve been on NP for 4 months. I haven’t been feeling well and have a splitting headache, so I googled side effects. I don’t know what made me think it could be thyroid medicine. For some reason it just popped into my head. I have very bad headaches daily, bloated stomach, constipation, I’m very cold all the time, foggy and just out of it. I’m so tired and have a I don’t care attitude. I used to take levo and didn’t have any of these problems. My numbers aren’t changing so the dr keeps increasing the dosage. Now at 120 mg I have such blurry vision which is sometimes double vision. Heart palpitations. Chest pain. Joint pain. I can’t sleep. I'm glad I came here to read, I thought I must have a terrible disease. Seeing Dr in a few days.”

Anonymous October 28, 2019

“I have been taking NP thyroid for about one year now since NATURETHROID became unavailable in 0.5 grain. Its been okay but the last two months I have begun feeling horrible. I have no energy, feel very tired, digestive problems, bloated painful stomach, headaches, brain fog, leg cramps, anxiety/panic attacks, depressed, complete loss of libido, fat gain around the middle, and more. In early September I noticed my NP Thyroid refill smelled horrible. I contacted my pharmacist and he told me batches vary - it's normal. So I continued to take it, felling worse over time. I stopped taking it for 3 days as a trial this week, and felt somewhat better. I since found a few websites and blogs that discuss the issues. I am not alone. Will contact Naturopath tomorrow to see what my options are. I too, like others feel poisoned. It seems like my reaction is more than just hypothyroid symptoms. I did not feel this badly before starting thyroid hormones.”

Aimee · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2021

“Doesn’t even deserve a 1. Do yourself a favor, and don’t bother with this awful “medicine” NP thyroid! It changed for the worse in the fall of 2019 and hasn’t been fixed since. Keeps getting recalled also. Most recently this past month in late April 2021 it’s recalled again, this time for sub-potency! Do a search for it. You’ve been warned! Acella can’t get it right & it’s just not a reliable choice. Go with brand-name Armour Thyroid instead (it’s literally the only one left that isn’t horrible) or get a script for 2 synthetics (Tirosint/Tirosint-SOL are the cleanest T4) along with T3 (Cytomel/liothyronine, or compounded synthetic) to balance the thyroid, OR if Naturethroid/WP ever come back on the market, try one of those”

V.. · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 1, 2020

“Just picked up my NP thyroid and it smells horrible!!! Like cat urine I will not be taking this . Already contacted my Drs office to switch to tirosint and cytomel. Shame on you NP thyroid I'm planning on taking this pill to get analyzed to see what is in it .”

Barbie · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 24, 2019

“Used this product for a couple of years and would have rated it a 9 until disaster struck with the August 2019 refill. It now has the worst smell and taste you can imagine. Smells like cat urine, must have a lot of ammonia which is dangerous to eat. Other people who have been very happy with this thyroid pill in the past are complaining their symptoms are coming back and some are getting quite ill and having burning throat and stomach. Something is very wrong and the company has been notified but doesn't care.”

Anonymous October 25, 2021

“I was on Armour Thyroid for many years. Pharmacy recommended NP, because of price difference, so switched me to NP and I noticed extreme flu-like symptoms, head aches, hair loss, insomnia, swelling, (even facial swelling), all-over body pain and constant exhaustion. I asked to be switched back to Armour after a month of misery on NP, and to please make note on my account to NEVER give me NP again, because of the terrible reactions. After new bloodwork, I unknowingly was given NP again, and took it without realizing that it wasn’t Armour. My life became a living nightmare! The anxiety attacks have been awful. My nails break easily, hair falls out in alarming amounts, continuous dull headaches, accompanied by brain fog that has been very concerning. The feeling of exhaustion is unbelievable and I cannot sleep. Joint pain, miserable indigestion & reflux, profuse sweating, inflammation, and muscle aches. My energy is ZERO and the crying makes me feel crazy! NP Thyroid is HORRIBLE!!”

Ann · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 27, 2019

“Something is very wrong with NP thyroid. My stomach hurts very bad on it now. My TSH blood level went from .14 to 9.48, T4 is .8 from 1.0, T3 is 97 from 114 all in 5 weeks on it. The medication smells like a cleaning product and like poison. Something is not right with this new formulation and FDA needs to look into this medication what are the dark specks and what is in the medication. Why did they have to change something that was already good? Now I don't know what to take.”

ReviewX · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 7, 2019

“I have used this without a problem until I refilled my prescription in October. I have become increasingly sick since taking this bottle. It started with a flu/cold that wouldn't go away, then horrible stomach pains, and then the fatigue set in, where I literally could not get out of bed. In addition, I had abnormally high blood pressure. I went to a few doctors who had no answers until one day I noticed when taking my NP that it tasted different. I might have noticed it before but disregarded it. I did some research online and found that the specific batch I am taking which is M330E19-1 is on the STTM website list of problematic batches. I discontinued it today and will switch to Armour. It's becoming harder to get reliable desiccated thyroid.”

akaltner · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2021

“Last week my pharmacy gave me NP thyroid instead of regularly prescribed Armour thyroid. At first I noticed the strong smell and taste of mildew/cat wee. I checked the label on my prescription and noticed it wasn’t Armour. A week into taking this I noticed my body aching and heart palpitations. Then my heart started pounding and I got all jittery. My hands and knees were shaking and I felt weak with a headache and brain fog. I called my pharmacist and after talking to them they exchanged that medication for my regular Armour. After looking into this medication I found out it has been recalled multiple times and my symptoms were identical to other multiple peoples reviews. Please do not take this medicine. It is terrible.”

Jason · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 11, 2020

“I've been on Armour Thyroid for years and felt fairly good. My doctor's switched me to NP Thyroid recently because Armour is no longer covered by insurance. NP Thyroid is awful, not only did it cause some thyroid symptoms to return (Trouble waking up in the mornings, extreme fatigue, depression, weight gain and irritability to name a few) but it also caused new symptoms. My stomach hurt a lot with acid reflux symptoms and I had constant mucus in my throat, which created a chronic cough, to the point where I had to clear my throat every 15 minutes. After having been back on Armour for a couple weeks now, all of the symptoms/side effects have disappeared and I feel good again.”

Schnauzersmom21 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2021

“I was put on this after Nature Throid was recalled. I ended up with atrial fibrillation. I stopped the drug. A cardiologist told me to restart it. I then had hyperthyroid symptoms after four days when I am actually hypothyroid. This drug needs to be recalled. NatureThroid never caused me any problems. It just did its job.”

Mad in Florida September 22, 2019

“I was on NP Thyroid for 3 years and finally got my life back. There’s a change in my most recent refill that has made me sick to my stomach, headache for days along with unbelievable fatigue. The pills smell like cat urine and taste the same. How dare you endanger so many people that are trying to regain their health. Do NOT buy NP Thyroid!”

scary · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2021

“This is the scariest medicine I have ever taken. Never had these problems on nature thyroid until I switched to this medication and within a month developed horrible pain in my hand joints that went on for months until it was diagnosed as pseudogout caused by this stuff. Just a very bad and painful experience. Never want to take it again.”

Kashismom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 21, 2019

“I was on Naturetroid for quite a long time and was doing great until it wasn't available then switched to NP Thyroid for the past year or so. The NP Thyroid has giving me horrible insomnia, heart palpitations, terrible anxiety and many more symptoms. I was so grateful to find this site and read everyones reviews because I didn't really put it together until I started digging. I don't know what I'm going to do now for meds but I am not staying on this any longer. The last few batches have been really bad, I've been feeling much worse. Thank you all for writing !”

MissSB · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 17, 2021

“Have been on thyroid meds for years and have taken many brands due to insurance changes and product unavailability. Some were better than others for sure. New insurance would not cover the Armour that worked best for me, so they substituted NP Thyroid last November. Since then, life has been bad. The pill does smell like cat pee! I have had every symptom listed above and have spent hundreds of dollars bouncing from specialist to specialist. I have gone from being a very, very healthy person to someone who can barely function and can't work. I have gained 8 lbs and hardly eat due to stomach issues. Found out today that this med has been recalled several times in the last few months. This manufacturer needs to STOP making this medication all together! They can't get it right! BEWARE!”

Healthy Senior · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2021

“I took NatureThroid for 12 years without problems and good results. It was recalled. I found I could not take Synthroid, which tore up my digestive tract. I tried Tirosint and no go. Endocrinologist switched me to NP Thyroid. I went to ER with a head injury and that had no ill effects. I was not allowed to leave and detained for 10 hours because I had atrial fibrillation. I came home with a beta blocker and a blood thinner, which I hope are temporary. This is a dangerous and horrible drug. Irregular heartbeat is a listed side effect. I reported it to the FDA, mentioning that the recall of NatureThroid caused this situation.”

Privetteal · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2021

“I feel lifeless - that is the only way to describe how I feel. I've been taking this medication, a low dose of 30mg, for 6-7 weeks. I feel way worse than I did before I started it. I thought something was seriously wrong until I thankfully found this forum. I have never been so exhausted and fatigued in my life. Nausea, indigestion, constipation, puffy eyelids, my mood is off.... the list goes on. This drug should not be on the market. Don't take it!!!”

Kel April 7, 2019

“I switched from Nature-thyroid to NP Acella due to the lack of availability. I was on Nature-thyroid for 3 years and felt great. Normal :) I have not done well on NP ....I went back on NT for a few months and felt “normal” again. I returned to NP and felt sick yet again. I stuck it out for 6 weeks so I could do labs and raised my dose. I did not go hyper but the ill feeling got worse. I have no sensitivities, allergies etc. I did not think switching to NP would be difficult. I've tested this 2x now and the same response. My symptoms each time on NP are; headaches eventually becoming migraines. Severe leg edema. Dry eye, rash on my face, stomach bloating, loss of appetite, tired, food tastes like cardboard, and general feeling of unwell. All of these symptoms are signs of hypo for me and I haven’t had them at all since I was treated with NT. I’m not against NP but wanted to share it isn’t working for me for unknown reason.”

Ter September 12, 2020

“I tried all the thyroid synthetics when I was first diagnosed with underactive throid in 2012, none of them worked for me. My Dr. finally decided to put me on Armour, it was ok until they reformulated It stopped working. Next was Nature Thyroid, it worked better than the reformulated Armour but, not as well as the old Armour. I asked him for WP, it was the best!!! Then they had a manufacturing problem and I couldn't get it. Next was NP by Acella and I have been feeling better than the reformulated Armour. It works as well as the Nature Thyroid but, not like the WP! RLC Labs has a problem again, none of their NDT is available is available again. I'm glad I stuck with the NP, never got any of the recalled stuff. I've never experienced any of the complaints others have. I'm not happy about all the fillers in NP but, I've seen worse formulations. I wish they'd clean it up. ”

RCK213 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 1, 2020

“Was on Armour for 10 yrs with good results, good consistent labs. Last year Pharmacy refilled with NP thyroid on and off claiming availability issues, then insurance denial so Nov 2019 decided just keep the script NP. Labs last year not as good, January 2020 had horrible episode of nausea, dizziness, increased BP, irregular pulse and flu like symptoms. Took a few days to realize intensity increased a couple hours after dose. Stopped a few days, then took partial dose for a month, noted puffy face so went back to full dose. This past week symptoms recurred along with very bloated gassy stomach, constant belching, scary high BP and palpitations, dizziness. Ended up in Dr office. EKG showed PACs. My weight also up 10 lbs past year. Just picked up Armour, paid out of pocket, hoping all these symptoms disappear. See many here had similar experiences.”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

“All who were taking NP Thyroid should know it been recalled. I just got a new batch and it works fantastic. Best I have felt in a year. Glad I dumped the Nature Throid as I was taking almost 3 1/2 grains a day just to get a little bump everyday. Now on 60mg of NP twice a day and it's like a whole new world. Get rid of your old NP meds and replace them with the newer script. The recalled NP ad 115% more T3 than was needed, that's why it was recalled by Accela.”

Bucky · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2019

“I’ve been on Acella thyroid medication for several years and it really helped me. I had it refilled approximately a week ago. I always take this medication sublingually. However, the first dose tasted so bad that I immediately spit it out and knew something was really wrong. Went online and saw all the posts from others suffering with the same issues. Since I was so afraid my hypothyroid symptoms would return, I forced myself to keep taking it. However, it got to the point where I was so sick that I couldn’t get out of bed. Today, I decided that I couldn’t tolerate another dose and would speak with my doctor next week. It’s amazing how much better I feel! I don’t feel nauseous and have enough energy to at least get out of bed and function. I don’t know what’s going on with this company, but this medication felt like it was literally poisoning me!”