Armour Thyroid Side Effects
Generic name: thyroid desiccated
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 22, 2023.
Note: This document contains side effect information about thyroid desiccated. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Armour Thyroid.
Applies to thyroid desiccated: oral tablet.
Oral route (Tablet)
In euthyroid patients, doses within the range of daily hormonal requirements are ineffective for weight reduction. Larger doses may produce serious or even life-threatening manifestations of toxicity, particularly when given in association with sympathomimetic amines such as those used for their anorectic effects.
Serious side effects of Armour Thyroid
Along with its needed effects, thyroid desiccated (the active ingredient contained in Armour Thyroid) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking thyroid desiccated:
- Changes in appetite
- changes in menstrual periods
- chest pain
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- hand tremors
- leg cramps
- sensitivity to heat
- trouble breathing
- trouble sleeping
- weight loss
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to thyroid desiccated: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral tablet.
Adverse reactions other than those attributable to hyperthyroidism due to therapeutic overdose are rare. Excessive doses may result in a hypermetabolic state resembling in every respect the condition of endogenous origin.[Ref]
If signs and symptoms of overdosage appear, the dosage should be reduced or therapy temporarily discontinued and may be reinstituted at a lower dosage. Normal hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis function has been restored in 6 to 8 weeks after thyroid suppression.[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- Does Armour Thyroid cause weight gain or weight loss?
- Can Armour Thyroid cause high blood pressure?
- Can Armour Thyroid make you tired?
- Should you take your thyroid medication at night?
- What is the difference between NP Thyroid and Armour Thyroid?
- Armour Thyroid vs. Synthroid - How do they compare?
- Can Armour Thyroid be purchased over the counter?
- How long does Armour Thyroid stay in your system?
More about Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (250)
- Drug images
- Latest FDA alerts (4)
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Support group
- Drug class: thyroid drugs
- En español
Related treatment guides
1. Product Information. Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated). Forest Pharmaceuticals. 2022.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.