User Reviews for Armour Thyroid to treat Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal

Armour Thyroid has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 23 ratings for the treatment of Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal. 48% of those users who reviewed Armour Thyroid reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Armour Thyroid Rating Summary

6.4/10 average rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal.

Reviews for Armour Thyroid

Callie · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2021

“I had a total thyroid removal in February and was started on Levothyroxine 125mcg. In March my TSH was 7.5, so my NP increased it to 175mcg. I began to have terrible side effects, and possible allergic reactions. She switched me to a low-dose of Armour. I was feeling terrible after a week. My TSH had increased to 32.9. She increased my dose to 60 mg twice a day. I started having horrible side effects, depressed, anxious, BP increased, very irritable, could not sleep. I stopped taking it for 24 hours and already feel better. Now will have to try something else.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 9, 2021

“I am struggling with new formulation of Armour Thyroid. It was always the best medication for me. Now experiencing sleeplessness, foggy brain and vision changes. If Allergan does not figure this out, I will have to go to a different med. Synthroid was terrible for me. Can not take it and function.”

Abrock · Taken for 10 years or more March 31, 2021

“My sister-in-law and I are both on Armour Thyroid and we have both begun to feel draggy and we've gained weight. I've noticed that Armour no longer has that distinctive scent. Did some research and have found that Allergan which makes Armour has been bought by AbbVie which makes Synthroid. Is anyone else noticing Armour not working anymore? Have to go for bloodwork and will tell my doc to either switch me to another brand or I will have my meds compounded. I take 60mg 2x/day.”

kaz January 14, 2020

“After hyperthyroidism most of my life: Graves Disease, this is the ONLY thyroid medication that works for me. Insurance companies and pharmaceutical giants prefer levothyroxine or other more expensive drugs that have more side effects and for me at least are not as effective. I was on a thyroid destroying drug for YEARS and a specialist told me that if it hadn't worked by now to destroy my thyroid gland, it probably never would, it was just putting this strong med into my body affecting other bodily functions. So, I took "their" advice and destroyed my thyroid with radioactive iodine. Now I need to be on thyroid for the rest of my life. My doctor and I tried traditional drugs pushed by the medical establishment. I finally did some research and asked others without a functioning thyroid and was directed to Armor Thyroid. It has been working for over 5 years without adjusting dosage unlike the "traditional" thyroid meds where I had to constantly change dosage.”

Dee · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 17, 2019

“I have been taking Armour Thyroid since 2015. My TSH has been creeping back up in the last few months and I feel like something changed in the Armour. I am exhausted, feel comatose, like I'm never fully awake and dragging my body around. Wondering if there has been a reformulation or a product quality issue. I have an endo appointment and I know the doc's solution will be to go on Synthroid. Anyone else having similar recent (2019) issues with Armour?”

Just Me · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2019

“Armour Thyroid seems to be doing quite well. Still in the adjustment phase, but no allergy. I chew my split dose and notice a difference instead of swallowing the pills whole. Everyone is different and adrenals plus iron need to be optimal for any natural desiccated thyroid (NDT) to work. I have run the gamut of NDT in North America and with the latest issue with NP Thyroid, went back to Armour. Well worth it. Symptoms abate every day.”

Debra369 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 6, 2013

“I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease and had my thyroid radiated so it no longer functions. I was started on Synthroid and I felt horrible. I was eventually prescribed all the other thyroid medicines but nothing worked well. I felt awful, I couldn't remember anything, I was exhausted and irritable all the time. Finally a Dr. prescribed me Armour and I feel almost normal again. It can be very hard to get as Dr.'s have to have a special license to prescribe it but I've been persistent and will accept no other thyroid replacement medication. ”

Golfnut January 10, 2009

“For 11 years I was on another thyroid medicine and just kept feeling tired and depressed. I started doing some research and 6 years ago found a physician that prescribed alternative thyroid medication... Armour Thyroid. It has totally changed my life. I have energy, no longer depressed and lost some weight. With Armour the most important thing is taking it the same time everyday. Energy level stays up and I seem to get the most from the medication.”

nann · Taken for 10 years or more February 25, 2021

“I've been on every possible thyroid med and dose up and down. Synthroid was the worst. Finally was prescribed Armour 120 which was perfect for many years. Then recently within the last year something has changed in the formula. The cost has skyrocketed, Armour 120mg x 60 tablets= $106 not covered by insurance. I'm a senior with full pharmacy benefit and 100% med coverage. Docs don't like Armour, they like synthroid. ARMOUR works, I've been on it for 25+ years. I had benign nodules, thought to be cancer but no cancer! It has been a struggle. I will NOT give up my Armour but will seek a compounding phar! hope this helps others”

revzoom May 8, 2009

“I was diagnosed with Papillary Carcinoma in early 2006. My thyroid was removed and tested positive. I was put on Synthroid and Cytomel for one week, then dropped the latter. I slowly went downhill physically and mentally. I gained a lot of weight, and I could not concentrate for any length of time. I could not return to work. An angel gave me the name of a doctor who would prescribe Armour Thyroid. Within a week I began to feel better. Soon I felt better than I had in a long time. I returned to work and have stayed healthy ever since. Armour Thyroid is the only way to go for me.”

Chill c · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2012

“I started taking Synthroid 200mrgs From 2002- Oct 2012. Because i had thyroid cancer. had both of my thyroids removed. A friend told me to try armour thyroid, and you will fill alot better. I took her advice and she gave mw the name of the Dr who will perscride armour thyroid. I been taking 90mrgs of Amour thyroid and i fill great, I can tell the difference after i took the first pill. My energy level is very high. I dont need a nap during the day.”

Max November 28, 2020

“I was diagnosed with 2 thyroid nodules in Sep 2019. My endo immediately recommended total removal. Said the nodules would eventually obstruct my ability to swallow and breathe. Oh yeah the biopsy was non cancerous. Had the surgery in Oct 2019. Since then my life has been a roller coaster of symptoms and problems. Digestive, muscle aches and pains, vision, anxiety and depression. I was started on Levothyroxine 137 mcg. Did not work. Switched to Synthroid 137 mcg. After one month the doc added Cytomel (T3) 25 mcg. Had palpitations right after I started taking. Was told to take half the T3 pill. Now I developed acid reflux problems and prescribed Protonix. Feel tired all day, nauseous, lightheaded with metal taste in my mouth. Lastly my labs keep coming back perfect. I am so desperate. I want to try Armour Thyroid but afraid of the unknown. Thoughts? I need help. I’m 50 years old and the sole breadwinner of my family.”

csoljak · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2012

“I had Graves disease 20 years ago and my thyroid was burned out with irradiated iodide. I was put on Synthroid daily and gained almost 80 pounds over the years. I had all the bad headaches, fatigue, water retention, brain fog etc. Finally I started working for a functional medicine doctor who specializes in bioidentical hormone treatment. I signed up and we switched me over to Armour. I have only been taking it for about a week and I am already starting to feel better. I will report back in another week to say how I am feeling. ”

Shesok · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 18, 2019

“I have been taking Armour since Feb 2014. No significant weight changes (47 yo) in past years. Suddenly had foggy brain in December 2018. Retested and Endo changed my dose up by 7.5 mg. Which helped. Have been recently been experiencing same effect in last 2 months. Endo says my levels are normal, certainly don’t feel normal though. Will be going in soon for reeval. Not sure Armour is normal levels....”

TexasCruezing February 4, 2016

“Been on Armour Thyroid for 10 years -- after taking Synthroid for three. Noticed an immediate improvement in my health as soon as I started taking Armour. Absolutely LOVED Armour until a few years ago when the formula (or something) changed. Now I am OK with Armour, but detests the huge price increase (3-month supply for $19 -- now $99 for 3-month supply). Reading this website to find alternatives to Armour because the price increase is ridiculous. Also, the quality is not the same!”

KBBD April 5, 2016

“Took Synthroid for about 15 years and although I never felt it was working for me my doctor would only say "well, your labs look good." I read about Armour and had my doctor change me. Armour was amazing. I felt great after 2-3 months. Weight dropped, dry skin and hair improved and my energy level significantly improved. Then all of a sudden I developed a terrible rash on my hands. Doctors tested for contact dermatitis, other allergies, all came back negative. The only new addition to my routine was the Armour. I read other reviews that discussed the fact the Forrest Phar. had been sold and apparently Armour was reformulated with possibly other fillers. Stopped Armour and the rash disappeared. Miss its benefits.”

Nachtjenevel · Taken for 10 years or more October 30, 2016

“On Synthroid for a year post subtotal thyroidectomy in 2002, gained 17lbs in just a few months, hair fell out, felt miserable. Switched to Armour in 2003 and got me my life and health back. Compounded thyroid is cheaper so I started using that with no issues until last year, when I was no longer able to get my compounded thyroid as I'm now in the U.K. which only compounds thyroid for animals, not humans. Back on Armour last year and the weight started creeping back up, fatigue set in, cold at night, all the hypo symptoms came back despite my labs looking great. I put on 8 lbs in three months!! Switched to Nature Throid and the weight is coming off again and I feel normal. Forrest Pharma pulled a Martin Shkreli.”

Barb w October 11, 2013

“I've been on Armour thyroid for 4 months or so and I've lost no weight and I'm tired all the time, also gained weight. Having hot flashes and night sweats and I've been feeling dizzy. My TSH is low along with my T3 and T4. It's time to switch medicines once again. I've been on 2 other medicines and nothing is helping me I'm so frustrated. I need some help, anyone know of a better medicine out there? ”

Anonymous April 18, 2009

“After having my thyroid burned out 2 years ago I was on a non natural brand for my thyroid. I have not been feeling myself since these 2 years, always having no energy, not able to lose weight, not able to think clearly. I recently switched to Armour thyroid and I feel much better.”

stit60 December 14, 2015

“It took a full 15 months of treatment plus adding a low dose of an antidepressant and topical progesterone for me to see the full benefits of armour. I became hypo shortly after menopause, experiencing severe fatigue, sleepiness, a 9lb weight gain in spite of poor appetite and low calorie intake, dry thinning hair and nails, depression, coldness, no libido. My face took on the typical dull thyroid expression with pudgy features and the outer third of my eyebrows missing. I had high cholesterol, yet my TSH showed normal at 1.9. My GP just said to "watch it" while I grew progressively worse. After 15 months on armour, I've finally settled on the right dose and I feel young and great again!!”

Zerotol9512 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 2, 2017

“Complete Thyroidectemy for cancer and two HUGE goiters with several nodules; which were crushing my esophagus. Immediately put on Thyroxine and became deathly ill within 2 days. I malabsorb Thyroxine and am severely allergic to lactose, acacia (grass) & sugar. Dr. insisted on increasing dosage, rather than listening to me; as seems to the usual. I am still looking for a Dr. with more knowledge about Armour Thyroid than me, because I am still very ill. But, I would have DIED on Thyroxine and IF I had kept WATCHING my goiter. The surgeon came out shocked by the 'grapefruit' size. Cancer was almost secondary. Drs. aren't even being taught about Armour Thyroid today. So sad and SO FRIGHTENING. Is this a way to kill off more seniors?”

dnamel · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2012

“I have been on some form of thyroid for 20 years. First I was on Armour then Synthroid. But what changed all that was my thyroid cancer diagnosis 6 months ago. They kept me on Synthroid, and never told me there was a difference. It seems to me that you need T4 and T3, which armour provides. I felt so achy after my surgery. Everyday my body hurt and I was do tired and absent minded. Also I have had weight gain. Went to a different doctor last week and have switched to Armour. We shall see. The main difference I feel so far is less body aches. That is wonderful to me!”

Former Armour User November 3, 2009

“Was diagnosed as hypothyroid and started immediately on Armour. Actually gained weight on it, despite strict diet and exercise. Always felt very bloated in abdomen while taking it and still felt tired. During the time I was on it, they reformulated it and I felt even worse. Switched over to a combination of Levoxyl and Cytomel. Felt more energetic and even lost a bit of the weight. Armour may work well for some but it just didn't do anything for me.”

electriclade · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2016

“Prescribed 1 grain split day-time dosage of armour thyroid. After 2nd day, each time I took the 1/2 dosage I had slight sore-throat and eyes itching and irritated, this happened every time and became progressively worse daily until 8 days later, I could not take the side effects anymore and had to stop taking it. Allergist tested positive for allergy to egg whites and dairy. I had ingested both of these products in one way or another on the days that I took the armour so figured it was the egg/diary allergy and not the armour. Allergist took skin/oral test with the armour and no signs of an allergic reaction to it, tried it again, 1 hour after each dose same symptoms, no more armour for me!!! Now I seem to be allergic to everything!!”

Dona M January 6, 2015

“My energy is back to where it use to be. I feel normal”

kaloka · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 15, 2013

“Armour thyroid gave back my happy life.”