User Reviews for Armour Thyroid to treat Hashimoto's disease

Armour Thyroid has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 61 ratings for the treatment of Hashimoto's disease. 64% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Armour Thyroid Rating Summary

7.1/10 average rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Hashimoto's disease.

Reviews for Armour Thyroid

Nicola · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 6, 2021

“Progressively got sicker on Armour Thyroid. Abdominal pain and bloating, back pain, brain fog, headache in the morning, dizzy, burry vision, extreme fatigue, pale skin, weight gain (10 lbs - thin my entire life- never had weight issues), high cholesterol. I've never felt so ill. I finally put 2 and 2 together, stopped taking the meds and within two days, I started feeling better. I lost 5 lbs in one week and feel like my old self again. Today was the first day in 5 months that my stomach didn't hurt.”

Ninlil · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2021

“Since 2017 I was doing very well on my NP thyroid, then May 2020 hit and all changed. No more NP so I was placed on Synthroid, then Tirosint tablet, then Tirosint SOL and finally Armour. I hesitated at first to re-try Armour because it had caused me hives back in early 2017. But this time it didn't. Even tho I started back in Sept. 2020, I have NOT been able to increase because it increases my anxiety to the point that I'm suffering attacks & chest pains. By doctor's orders I went to see a psychiatrist & therapist but my therapist states she's not convinced this anxiety IS mental but leaning more towards the Armour. Now I'm on the verge of getting a DNA test done to help see if I have any exclusive sensitivities that'll tie it all down for me. Don't get me wrong, I do like this med since it has way way less side effects .. but I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing chest pains w/it or am I exclusive???”

Jsg January 18, 2021

“I have taken Armour thyroid for 30+ years after Synthroid did not work. In the spring of 2020 I began to feel terrible. Headache, tiredness, pain in my joints , no energy at all. My IM ran thyroid panel in me. Everything normal ( I don’t think he ran antibodies). I asked him to switch me to WP thyroid. He did and within weeks I started to feel like my old self. That lasted for 6 months and WP thyroid was pulled from the market. I had to go back on Armour Thyroid. All my previous symptoms are back and I feel terrible again. I am SURE that Allergan has reformulated Armor thyroid. We must report and complain to the FDA to get RLC labs preparations back on the market.”

College student · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 2, 2013

“Everyone's battle with Hashimoto's will be different which will lead to different treatments. In my case, Armour has worked best. About a year ago, I had a sudden increase in weight with no change in diet or exercise. Once I saw this change, I ate healthier than ever before and working out consistently yet my weight went from 115 to 130 in a short period of time. I felt "puffy" and bloated constantly. Finally I was given Synthroid because Hashi's runs in my family and I had increase of antibodies. I was on it for 6 weeks and did not see any improvement. I am now on my 5th week of Armour and the bloating is gone as well as the weight gain. Don't let the doctors tell you how you feel. You must treat the symptoms. I hope this helps someone.”

missy · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 21, 2019

“I have had Hashimoto's since 1998. Synthroid never worked for me, so doctor switched me to Nature Throid, which worked miracles after only 2 months. When there was a shortage on Nature Throid, I switched to Armour. I have been on Armour 5 years. At first I felt great on Armour, but within the last 1 1/2 years, something has changed. All my symptoms returned September 2018. Have gained 25 lbs, hair & eyebrow loss, brain fog, and extreme fatigue, etc. I would bet money that Armour has changed the formula again but won't admit it. The pills do not smell or taste the same. Fess-up Armour!! Going to doctor in 2 weeks to try a different NDT. Stay strong!”

Just Tired September 21, 2020

“Been on Armour Thyroid for 2 plus years. I have never felt this miserable in all my life. Except NP thyroid. Synthroid and levothyroxine helped with numbers. Didn't fight the brain fog, lethargy, and annoying side effects. I have been living in nightmare for over 2 years be on this medicine. I've been suicidal, continued if not worse brain fog, hair, skin and nails. My whole body is not functioning anymore. Functional medicine people push this like drug pushers. Tried compounded thyroid as well. What a joke. These drugs seem to be a joke. Haven't been able to work full time in 8 years. Dr took me off estrogen and this is what happened to me. Hypothyroid, functional medicine drs didn't pay enough attention to the numbers, I kept telling them over and over again, now I have Hashimotos, and feel like rubbish. Functional medicine is a joke. But armour and NP are the biggest joke. Have no clue where I will be going next on this nightmare journey. Good for you all that feel better on this medication.”

KT Graham August 10, 2019

“Having been on Synthroid for 13 years and then switched to Armour 16 years ago, the difference for me has been like night and day, like those before & after photos. So many health issues on Synthroid. I requested to be switched to Armour and the energy began to suddenly appear in about two weeks. Changed my world. For reference I'm 66.”

Roksanaroxy · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 8, 2014

“I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at age 14 although I had a high TSH (in the normal range) since I was born. I was treated with Synthroid and levothyroxine for the past 7 years and I never really thought about how it was affecting me. Within these 7 years I gained and lost and gained again 75 lbs which was due to the depression that Synthroid was causing. I recently began feeling so bad and decided to stop Synthroid and asked my doctor for Armour...one month later and I am as happy and optimistic as I used to be before Synthroid. I have also lost 12 lbs within a month (with proper diet and nutrition of course). I have had no side effects on this medication and I am 100% happy I decided to switch.”

rc71 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2014

“Within a week of taking Armour Thyroid my periods returned (they were gone 2 yrs on T4 only), my energy levels returned (I could barely walk or do any housework on T4 only), I can think clearly now (was in a state of confusion on T4) depression is gone completely (I was in a depressive state on T4 only and refused antidepressants because I knew it was not depression because of my life). I am out of the bedroom and functioning again. ”

Badsoden · Taken for 10 years or more October 29, 2019

“I have been on Armour Thyroid 60 mg for 15 years with 15 mg added 3 days a week for 7 years. I couldn't take Synthroid due to an allergy to the fillers. I am suddenly having body aches, body swelling, my hair is falling out, random rash on my face, foot pain that will not go away. Is it the Armour? I know a new company makes it now. I've been fine through all the claims that Armour had changed but this last refill has me wondering. The one endo in my area is worthless and I am not sure how to get to the bottom of this. My numbers are all good and have been. Of course now that I'm on Medicare I am paying full price for Armour.”

Got my life back! · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 25, 2013

“After college I was diagnosed with Grave's disease and they did the radioactive iodine treatment on me which completely killed my thyroid. I used to be super skinny and could eat all the time. Now I'm not one of those people who ever got big my max weight after treatment was 147lbs, which for 5"4 still wasn't "big". I however was spending 2 hours working out 5 days a week and basically living on protein shakes so I should have definitely been a lot thinner. Before the treatment I was 123lbs and to bloom up to 147lbs in a matter of 4 years. I was on Synthroid for 6 years and never felt normal. I tried Naturoid for 6 months still nothing. My new doctor put me on Armour and I couldn't be happier. I have my energy back and am down to 130lbs.”

Jane September 17, 2019

“I took this medicine Armour Thyroid prior to 2015 with excellent results- 6 weeks ago I went back on it because NP Thyroid had been reformulated. I had a bad reaction to Armour both the 45 mg and 90 mg tablets- I could no longer get up in the morning- naps at 2- severe rash on fingers and scalp-anxious- depressed- not sleeping-I am in adrenal fatigue- can’t think straight. I don’t know if these reformulations are a way to push people towards synthetic? Or some new fillers have been added? Or the pig thyroid is being processed differently? My main concern is my symptoms became much more pronounced with in days of taking it and it was to the point where I could not function at 20% of my prior activity level-also the medicine seemed to be very uneven in consistency- I had several pills almost send me speeding and 95% of the other ones put me in bed. TSH which had been in normal range for 11 years plummeted to the edge of 0.”

Sashas New Mom March 18, 2014

“For years I felt terrible most days. Tired, sleeping by 7pm. No energy, gained weight, was puffy/bloated all the time. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease 9 months ago. My doctor prescribed levothyroxine. I still didn't feel like myself. Still no energy, breaking out in sweats (especially at night), always felt bloated. No relief from my symptoms. The worst symptom of all was forgetfulness and brain fog. After reading a page (Hypothyroid Mom) on facebook, I saw how many people had success with Armour Thyroid. She put me on 30mg twice daily. Now I am hyperthyroid. Hoping to get this under control soon. I feel 100 times better on Armour. And I've lost a little bit of weight!”

TrueThat · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 25, 2016

“I was diagnosed with Hashimotis after a thyroid cancer scare and removal of half of my thyroid gland due to growing nodules. All of the symptoms- tired, depressed, weight gain, hair loss, sensitivity to hear and cold, cold extremities- occurred after having my first child and became progressively worse with each of my children. Since the surgery, took Synthroid for 10 years and could not lose weight no matter what I tried. Went to progressive doctor who put me on Armour and I have lost 35 pounds in the past year, mood and energy levels are excellent, and memory and brain function much sharper. My levels are a bit too high/vary, but that is where I feel best and my doctor allows me to stay there. Find a doctor that will listen to you.”

LAMF · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2014

“I have had Thryoiditis/ Hashimotos and Raynauds Syndrome for 20 yrs. TSH was as HIGH as 200 but never went below 65 in 14 yrs. I've had 13 heart procedures and 16 stents. A Pacemaker in 2010 due to a Heart rate of 42 but no attention given to a TSH that was 165. Now we are checking for PHEOCHROMOCYTOMA .. Also my GP has replaced SYNTHROID with ARMOUR. Synthroid has NO IODINE OR T3 needed for the body. Side effects are terrible for a week but my body is ALIVE thanks to ARMOUR. ”

Liz · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 4, 2019

“I love Armour! I was taking Levothyroxine and felt so awful. My body ached, I was ill. My thyroid doctor refused to change my medication so I went to my primary and after my first dose I felt 90 percent better.”

Anonymous December 13, 2011

“I found out I had an under active thyroid about 2 years ago and as a college student I found it so hard to focus in class. My doctor placed me on Synthroid and I took it for about 6 months. I had severe headaches, depression, weight gain with no weight loss in sight, and feeling tired and horrible. I went to my obgyn for a yearly check up and he checked my thyroid and now I'm taking Armour. I love this medicine. All the headaches, loss of focus, and the weight gained again is gone! I take it the same time everyday and this pill works for me!”

Dawnx May 9, 2009

“After years of levothyroxine with remaining symptoms and lots of pills for those symptoms, my adrenals began to get fatigued, had to be admitted to hospital with confusion, vomiting and other symptoms of adrenal fatigue and sugar problems. I was so tired and my muscles so weak I had trouble moving my diaphragm to breath. Armour sorted that for me. It is a much superior medicine than levothyroxine alone. People will not realize their remaining symptoms could be due to their thyroid medication while others could be fine on levothyroxine. I find this much better for me. ”

Villager February 3, 2020

“I've been using Armour meds for 2 years now and my urine smells awful. There is a terrible odor and I can feel, taste and smell the most foul scent. I don't know how to eliminate this stench and not sure if the Pharm Company has done something to this drug to make it so terrible. They need to change this formula to correct this terrible side effect.”

DCOVA · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 5, 2015

“I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at 11 yrs old and was on Synthroid since until last year (I was 28). After I was off all medication for about 6 months and my blood test came back at a dangerous level, my doctor immediately got me back on a lower dosage of Synthroid, but I had one of the worst side effects from it - so she quickly switched me to Armour and gradually upped the dose from 30mg until I got to 120mg and my blood levels were back to normal. I've never felt better! I started to lose the weight I gained during my non-medicated time and I have energy I thought I never had. At this point, I refuse to go back to Synthroid. I wish I knew of this before now, everyone around me can see the difference in my moods, a lot happier!”

allyedwards · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2019

“I was on Levothyroxine for 20 years and no problems. I maintained trim weight with long distance mile runs, the meds and somewhat healthy diet. And then after a big move to Florida (stress) menopause in full swing and other stress everything changed big time. Gained 50 lbs, terrible body cramps, hair loss, sluggish, swollen face, pain in my feet when I first woke in a.m and couldn't run anymore. I was told over and over my thyroid numbers were fine and then I came on here and read and deduced I had to force the doctors to listen to ME and not vice versa. I have now been on Armour for only one week, I have been able to start running, I have lost 10 lbs already and I am very hopeful the other 40 will happen in time. Still learning, about iron meds and other numbers in blood to watch and take supplements. Hoping I can have even more success to report.”

Sick&tiredofbeingsick&tired · Taken for 10 years or more January 4, 2020

“I have been on armor 180mg almost 11 years I Tried Synthroid first. My TSH was 195 I was 26. When I started it put me into a a MAJOR craze I still don’t know what. It felt like I had bugs crawling in my skin and can’t stress enough how horrible it was. I feel like the last 10 years of my life are a blur I just kind of tolerated it I lost the weight I gained. Way too terrified to try any other medication after what I went through I just dealt with it. Fast forward to 2019 I FEEL TERRIBLE despite my TSH actually being a little hyper because of suppressing my goiter I got from my TSH being 195 I now have gained 50 pounds my hair is now falling out again I’m sore everywhere. I barely get out of bed I can’t think remember anything vision is rapidly declining I am in such bad shape that I’m actually going to the doctor to ask him to switch me to a T4 only medication to see if this helps I can’t take being bed ridden anymore it’s got to the point to where I can not even work anymore.”

Nicole December 8, 2020

“I didn't plan on adding a review, but my heart goes out to some people posting recently and really struggling to find the right meds. *If your doctor doesn't want to switch your meds because your labs look fine but you don't feel right, find a new doctor. The process of finding the right med can be awful but necessary. I take Armour for Hashimoto's and have been for 5+ years. I took levothyroxine for about 1 year but lost my mind - stopped driving after I forgot how traffic signals worked one day. It did help clamminess, constipation, and foot odor (none of which I knew were tied to thyroid), but it wasn't worth the mental cost. My labs looked great so endocrinologists wouldn't change the meds. Found a naturopath who switched to Armour. It lifted the fog and got me back to a functional level, but honestly I've never felt the same as pre-diagnosis. I had such a bad experience on levothyroxine that I'm too afraid to try to change Armour at all, but it's getting the job done.”

LS April 30, 2020

“I was on Levothyroxine for 13 years and recently wanted something more natural. Like other reviews, I didn’t feel like myself. Brain fog, generally just blah. Switched to Armour in December 2019, started to feel really great. 90 days in I got my labs done and my antibodies had dropped by 600 which is amazing (which I also think can be attributed to going paleo) and my T3 and T4 were in range. 2 weeks after testing I suddenly had a crazy amount of dandruff. Haven’t had that since before my hashimotos diagnosis. Scalp is crazy dry still and it’s been a month and a half. Flaking all over and no amount of head and shoulders will help. Small patches of dry skin behind my ears, eyebrow, back, and other random parts of my body. I got my labs tested again and while I’m still in range, it appears my T3 and T4 have dropped a little. My doc added 15mg to my dosage to see if that helps. So far nothing and it’s been about 2.5 weeks. Anyone else had this issue?”

florns · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2014

“I started off in Oct 2013 on 15 mg of Armour for hypothyroid symptoms. I slowly increased it up to 180 mg by December as per doctor's instructions. I felt a little better, but still bouts of severe fatigue. Suddenly, I woke up last week very energized and started buzzing around cleaning. I felt like I had 3 cups of coffee. Racing heart and anxiety in my chest. I found myself having to find a quiet place to sit and meditate just to try and lower my heart rate. Two days later I went for blood tests. TSH 0.009, Free T3 4.1, and Free T4 1.41. Iron levels and adrenals are fine. Now I am hyperthyroid I guess. I am down to 60mg of Armour. Hopefully I will be able to find a happy balance. ”

Candy · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

“I was on nature throid and doing amazing! They changed the formula and I was feeling so bad everyday that I didn’t feel like even trying or getting up anymore. I decided to switch back to Armour which I had been off for years... thankful I did... within a few days I have felt like myself again! Fingers crossed”

Anonymous April 7, 2010

“I was on Synthroid for 1 1/2 years I gained 10 pounds and had anxiety. For the first year I had full trust in my doctor, but later I was not feeling right. I had memory fogs, anxiety, and my weight was a problem. I used to be a size 4 and now I am a size 12. That alone was depressing. I took charge and researched Hashimotos Disease. I later told my doctor that I wanted to go on Armour and that I was done with Synthroid. He said okay and put me on a 60mg 30mg because he thought we would have to adjust it. Well here I am a year later taking 60mg 30mg and 10 pounds less without working out.”

Vdunsel October 9, 2010

“After years of levothyroxine, I never felt any improvement. After a little research, I requested a trial of natural thyroid. I felt improvement quickly. When I was assigned a new doctor, she refused to continue the natural thyroid and put me back on the synthetic. Needless to say, I went back to feeling blah. A new doctor was willing to work with me and natural thyroid, and the mind fogs are gone! I feel "normal" once again!”

Learn more about Hashimoto's disease