User Reviews for Armour Thyroid

Learn more about Armour Thyroid.

Armour Thyroid Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Hashimoto's disease.

Reviews for Armour Thyroid to treat Hashimoto's disease

"I've been on Armour forever but in the last year found my dosage going up to 150 plus Liothyronine at 30 mcg/day and all of these horrible symptoms coming back and new ones that at first thought were lifestyle-induced due to a career change and a move. That was until I found out that Forrester Laboratories was bought out by Allergan in 2015 and the same issues from the 2008-2009 reformulation are being reported in mass numbers...everything from lab issues, high increases in dosages, chronic fatigue, vision issues, skyrocketing co-pays to hair loss, etc. I checked my bottles this weekend and realized that they all read Forrester/Allergan and will be researching on new natural options and speaking with my doctor on Monday!"

JB2017 (taken for 10 years or more) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dx with idiopathic hypothyroidism 45yrs ago. At 23yrs ago Dx with Hashimoto's. Is it possible to have both?! Dx depends on doc, seems random. TSH is at 50 whether taking 3 or 4 or 5 or 6++ grains (>200mg) of Armour. (Btw, Synthroid & etc are totally useless.) Also Dx with (seriously bad) Narcolepsy some 35yrs ago...Tried Lyrica about 2 yrs ago because it helps my cousin with hers. "

40yearsandstillnohelp (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been diagnosed with Hashimoto's for over a decade, and started out taking 90 mcg of levothyroxine. As my disease progressed I had to take more and more, and was up to 150 mcg when I started feeling bad: sick and depressed had trouble sleeping. Blood tests showed that my t3's were low, and I had been flogging my t4's to produce more t3's. This may be one of the symptoms of Hashimoto's: an inability to convert t4 into t3. Not a doctor, don't know, but switching to Armor a month ago has made a huge difference in my health. I am not getting those cramps in my hands and feet at the end of the day, and my energy has gone way up. It's still too early to know for sure...one month isn't much....but so far so good!"

atomteori March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works well, no side effects. Easy on my stomach."

Ferni's Pal (taken for 10 years or more) February 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am completely happy with Armour thyroid medication which I use after oblation due to hyperactivity of my thyroid. I was on synthroid but my body wasn't able to convert T4 to T3. Once a thyroid patient you will always have slight fluctuations but overall I feel great!"

Annie MG February 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I agree a lot with what others have said. I am currently on 15mg Armour but my doctor tried to put me on 30mg and I didn't realize it right away, I thought I was sick and dehydrated but it was the Armour! It made me sick and I lost a lot of weight and I felt so bad and dizzy like my heart wasn't beating fast enough. It was terrible. She switched me back to 15 mg and I feel good again."

GAD6 December 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I find it very effective much better than synthetic drugs. Feel much better taking it."

Marg93 December 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with Hashimotis after a thyroid cancer scare and removal of half of my thyroid gland due to growing nodules. All of the symptoms- tired, depressed, weight gain, hair loss, sensitivity to hear and cold, cold extremities- occurred after having my first child and became progressively worse with each of my children. Since the surgery, took Synthroid for 10 years and could not lose weight no matter what I tried. Went to progressive doctor who put me on Armour and I have lost 35 pounds in the past year, mood and energy levels are excellent, and memory and brain function much sharper. My levels are a bit too high/vary, but that is where I feel best and my doctor allows me to stay there. Find a doctor that will listen to you."

TrueThat (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is an old medication. The price has gone up incredibly and for no apparent reason other then profits for the manufacturer. Medicare programs do not cover this Rx and all my doctors recommend that I stay on this Rx. We are being ripped off!"

Ellencoo (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking levothyroxine for 15 years or so and I just felt that it had become stagnant after all those years. I started taking armor and it was fine for the first 2 to 3 years then I noticed that I have been having anxiety, trouble sleeping and I just overall feel like I'm hyperthyroid. Blood levels are fine, but we just thought I needed to adjust my dose. A couple months ago I started breaking out in random hives, allergy tests came back neg. However it is not every day. Because of the hyper thyroid feeling I stopped taking it for a week and felt fine . Started back on it, same feeling. I also have started getting a Humming in my ears and want to know if anyone else has experienced this before I see an ENT."

Juliejmn (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"i have Hashimotos thyroiditis. United Health care & Medicare says Armour Thyroid is not covered by them. I was on Armour thyroid for 15years. My insurance made me try other meds.I tried other thyroid meds including Nature Throid. I put on 48 lbs under Nature Throid my body was tired I was dizzy & could not function & had incontinence. I now am back on Armour thyroid feeling better everyday & decreasing in weight & other symptoms are gone. But have to pay for it myself & since I am on Social Security it is a big expense. Thanks Armour thyroid"

Babsar2 August 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease several years ago. My doctor prescribed step increased doses of synthroid. I felt increasingly worse with feelings of anxiousness and insomnia. I changed doctors and my new doctor prescribed Armour. After one dose adjustment my TSH numbers were good and I felt great. That was eight years ago. I still feel great and would not use synthetic TSH. So glad some doctors understand Armour works better for some patients."

Jamie Sunshine August 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have not taken Armour Thyroid, but have taken thyroid medicine for Hashimoto's since 1963. I have found that the generic equivalent of Synthroid does not work well. Sometimes it is equal to Synthroid and other times not. The last time I took generic, my TSH went up to 16. I am sticking strictly to name brand Synthroid from now on. I wonder if the people having trouble with Synthroid are really taking the generic."

Flyinlow (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was DX with Hashimoto's 2 years ago, had been having a LOT of stress in my life. I have never been fatiqued, but did have weight gain, I gained 20 pds and a moon sized face.I thought that it was grief (lost husband) I am also a nurse. I was put on Synthroid 75 mcg and felt worse, hair started falling out, felt like I was in a dream all of the time, no weight loss and depression. Told my endo that I felt bad and he ignored me. Thats when I started digging into what to eat (I am already a veggiterian) taking supplements and all of this helped. I went to a F P Dr. and demanded Armour. Felt great for the first two months. I started having the fight or flight feelings. I am now hyperthyroid. Two weeks on lower dose, and have lost 15 pds."

PKLINVILLE August 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I switched from synthroid to armour last year and felt better for the first couple of months. I've had an on again off again scalp itch/rash that I could not figure out for the life of me. About 6 months into armour I was overwhelmed by all my sympotoms, fatigue, depression, low libido, joint pain and the scalp itch/rash just would not go away. My endo let me try a 30 day supply of Tirosint and the rash went away and I felt so much better. Just to test my theory I went back to armour after the 30 days. Very quickly I realized it was DEFINITELY the armour and I'm going back to tirosint. Armour is SO much cheaper but not worth it!"

Ijustwanttofeelbetter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went to see an endocrinologist after my daughter told me that a co-worker of hers was hypothyroid and lost a ton of weight taking Armour. My endo told me that I had Hashimoto's and the best thing was for me to switch to Armour from Synthroid which was really what I was hoping to hear. I was so hopeful that this was finally going to be my ticket to a thinner me! :0\ During the course of 6 months I gained 20 pounds. My dosage was increased nearly every time I visited the doctor and with each increase in dosage came an increase in my weight. I went back to my primary care physician and told her my story and she put me back on Synthroid and the scales are finally moving in the other direction."

tinab43837 June 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Synthroid did not help: zero improvement on quality of life and bad side effects. Have been through all possible medications, none helped, same story as Synthroid. Am now on Armour, 3 grains. Doesn't help at all, and gives me side effects: weight gain, hair loss, difficulty sleeping, hyperpigmentation, no patella reflex, brain fog, extreme fatigue, etc. In fact I feel better, and most of the signs/symptoms are lessened, if I take *nothing* even though my TSH is 90 and my T4 and T3 are undetectable (ie, no T3 nor T4 in my body). I overwhelmingly prefer taking nothing as that gives me the best quality of life (albeit a pretty poor quality of life). I take medication, Armour, (and suffer), only because my doctors insist that I take medication."

Igaveup (taken for 10 years or more) April 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"synthroid did not work well feel much better now on Armour Thyroid"

Jb1960ab (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Four years of misery thinking I had food allergies when I was allergic to the FILLERS in the Armour thyroid medication. The side effects included: 2 different rashes on my scalp and behind my ears, excessive sugar cravings, depression, suicidal thoughts, after eating my stomach hurt all the time, couldn't eat anything without getting diarrhea. I went to several doctors and not one suspected the Armour thyroid medication. I figured it out! When I stopped taking it the side effects went away immediately! The rashes a little longer but started clearing up right away. Now, I'm trying the thyroid hormone ONLY without fillers. The interesting thing is my insurance won't pay for it because it comes from a compounding pharmacy not BIG PHARMA."

Queen of Everything! January 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Levothyroxine for years (17). I have 7 thyroid nodules, and my physician is monitoring them closely. I begged my doctor to try Armour as I was so depressed, brain fog and felt the worst ever. I was put on 90 grains of Armour, within 6 months my tsh was .04. I was having tremors and racing heart. Apparently my body is extremely sensitive to Armour. I am now transitioning back to Synthroid/Levothyroxine and hopefully t3. Over the years your body changes (of course) - listen to your body. Everyone is different. Good luck"

T' January 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started Armour today and I'm on cloud 9! Was just diagnosed 6 weeks ago with Hashimoto's and have been on 3 different meds. 1st Naturethroid, next Levoxyl, then on to Synthroid. All gave me HORRIBLE side effects. I felt like I was putting poison in my body every morning. But today I feel like I hit the jackpot with Armour. Feel like my old self again.... I have energy, no body aches, and I can think clearly!"

lynny1231 (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was on Levothyroxine and I noticed some improvement, but still felt symptoms. We increased the dosage and noticed improvement, but still not quite right. Over time my symptoms returned and I was continually complaining that my dosage was not right, even though my numbers were within normal limits. My doctor recommended the switch to armour. The first week I wanted to die, I couldn't stay awake, I had constant headaches, I was irritable. After 5 days, I was ready to call the doctor and get taken off...and then MAGIC happened happened. Week 2 I had energy, I started to sleep better, no headaches. So far so good. I am hopeful!"

KWdub December 2, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has had the adverse affect for me. After being diagnosed with Hashimoto's, my doctor expected that this medication would help me with brain fog, energy and tiredness. I experienced the opposite. Within a few days of taking the 60 mg dosage I felt worse. I began sleeping extremely heavy, had a huge amount of trouble waking in the morning, and could barely keep my eyes open past 8:30pm each night. I gained five pounds in two months even though I had improved my eating habits and exercise. I began getting these dull headaches on the top of my head. I became extremely irritable with everything which is not my normal disposition. Dr told me to stop taking immediately and is prescribing Nature-throid. Will see how that goes."

Alb1103 September 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking a very low dose back in the summer of 2014 I was walking 3 miles a day. After about 3 weeks I could no longer walk like I use to due to the pain in my neck! I went for test, Heart, blood work they found nothing I took myself off Armor in Jan 2015 I started feeling better I would never take this drug again."

catdogman August 7, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Like many others I received diagnosis after getting so bad that I could barely walk, couldn't get out of a chair without rolling over to the arm and pulling/pushing myself out. Was prescribed synthetic and got a bit better but my hair started falling out and got headaches. I started the research & insisted on the Armour. Huge difference., esp mental performance. I make my living doing analyses on high risk complex things. It was so wonderful to get my brain back. I had some help from a naturopathic Dr who suggest that I add supplements to address any adrenals damage (adrenal rebuilders). Final step has been traditional Chinese Medicine and I am now almost off the Armour, too. Western med will tell you thyroid is a lifelong path. Maybe."

AnonLady February 15, 2015