User Reviews for Synthroid

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Synthroid.

Synthroid Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Synthroid to treat Underactive Thyroid

"I used Synthroid (25, 50 or 75 for over more than 10 years, but had to use the original, not the generic because generic does not work in some people. I've not been operated, but for over 2 years I've been using NatureThroid (32.5) instead which was recommended by my ND and have to say that all my side effects that Synthroid caused, had gone. I almost lost all my hair and had terrible heart beats, headaches, joint pains, etc. I do not have hashimoto, and really don't know if it works for people with this condition, but I tried NatureThroid and I am very happy with the results."

Ayapliana December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on both and yes you have to see a Dr. who specializes in this disorder and you also have to take it one hour before you eat both levo and synthroid because I feel different I've done it taking after I ate and didn't work and then I followed the doctors orders take one hour before breakfast. I'm on 75mcg and my weight is doing great my levels normal if I keep on the medicine and take it like my doctor said to take it and I go to many different specialist's because I have many medical problems and I'm only 30 but this thyroid be thing started after I had my daughter so no do not take it at night after meals cuz your body will not absorb the medicine correct the medicine needs to be with a full glass of water and no food so it can work thru"

Jujubean30 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed Levothyroxine for low thyroid and I had been feeling so tired and wiped out. Levothyroxine did help improve my numbers (TSH of 7.5 dropped to 4.5) but I felt awful on it. Everything hurt and I was so exhausted. After 3 months on Levothryoxine, I asked to try the brand name Synthroid. What a difference!!! It improved my numbers even more (same dose, TSH decreased to 1.75) and not only that, I felt better. I had energy. My experience is night and day. I know generics are supposed to be equivalent but I can tell you there is a difference. Synthroid brand works so much better than Levothyroxine. Recommended."

Dennise2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on synthroid 1 year after telling my Endocrinologist (he was taking care of my type 1 diabetes) that I think I have low thyroid (it runs in my family). After a year he finally tested my TSH which was high and put me on Synthroid. My TSH came back fine but I told him my hair was still thinning, my nails were still brittle, my stomach was still swollen & I got every bug that was within 100 miles. I also developed total exhaustion and only left the house for doctor appointments. I went from 103lbs. to 130lbs. He put me on a higher dose and switched me to Levothyroxine (generic for synthroid) which caused rash & itching on face, then on rest of body, felt like a ball in my throat. Changing doctors now."

kitcat18 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I don't feel it does anything. I have more headaches and insomnia. So I am telling my primary I am stopping it. If she doesn't agree I am stopping regardless"

Pamelapppp8 September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took synthroid for 10 years, I had severe insomnia so also took sleeping pills everyday, I was depressed to took anti depressants everyday, had high blood pressured so took drugs for that. I couldn't focus at work and just getting up in the morning felt like a chore In 2013, I switched to natural desiccated thyroid drugs (NDT). It felt like waking up from a bad dream. I'm no longer depressed, my sleep hasn't been this good in my entire adult life. It's like night and day, I wish more doctors gave their patients the opportunity to try solutions other then synthroid; because clearly, it doesn't work for everyone."

Millstream44 (taken for 10 years or more) August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking this medication for years. It works very well in keeping my thyroid under control. I can always tell when I don't take it right especially when my blood is tested. I have learned that I need to take this medication in the mornings, because that is when it works its best."

Luvrofmusik (taken for 10 years or more) July 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on synthroid for approx 10 years. Here are several points that I have learned: 1. You may initially start feeling better in a couple weeks but It takes MONTHS to see the full effects. 2. Depending on your TSH levels, your Dr should start you at a low dosage and gradually increase as needed. Starting with too high of a dosage is shock to your body and will even make you feel more tired as your body is working overtime. 3. See a Physician who is very familiar with thyroid issues. If you are not seeing positive results with family Dr. see an Endocrinologist! Many of the negative comments I have read may be a result of your Dr not understanding this disorder. 4. There are alternatives if this medicine is not working."

Jaybee63 May 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After seeing my ob for some problems with menstruation, I was sent for about 10 different blood test to check my hormone levels. Let's just say that we found the source of my problem and I was referred to an endocrinologist. She wanted to repeat my TSH level cause she said that being at 3.65 was a little high for someone my age. So I went back within 4 weeks to get retested and my TSH was 10.36 and I was feeling it. I was so tired I could barely get out of bed. My headaches were out of control and I gained about 10 lbs in a months time. I just started 75mg Synthroid a few days ago so I'm feeling optimistic. I feel once we get my pituitary adenoma, thyroid and my vitamin D under control I'll be so much better. ADVICE: listen to your body."

ThisGurl (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

"Weight gain"

Margaretx January 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Synthroid makes my eyes have a burning sensation."

Sannee (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism on the last days of October of this year.. My doctor prescribed me 50mcg levothyroxine distributed by Mylan. I was only on the medication for 3 days! The medicine made me so fatigued and tired I could hardly go through my day without wanting to pass out and go to sleep. And not only that but my chest was feeling really uncomfortable. It felt like someone had put 20 pounds on my chest and overall having difficulty taking a deep breathe. My doctor then prescribed me the brand name Synthroid with only 25mcg. I had energy like I havent had in a year, but on the third day i was having shortness of breath, my heart was beating so hard& fast &I felt so lightheaded. Seriously, scariest experience i have had."

bbynekomata (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was falling a sleep every time I sat down - even at the computer, rocking a baby, in a car ride. I was trying to lose weight, but gaining instead. Someone would touch me and I would start sweating. I am 58. I have been on Synthroid (not generic) for 6 days now. I too am feeling a whole lot better. I was at 202 lbs 10 days ago. Today I am at 187.6 lbs. I did fall a sleep at the computer again last night, but my energy level is coming back."

ccgv6 October 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was taking Levothyroxin 50mcg for the past 3 months. My initial tsh was 13 when I started Levo; within 2 months my tsh dropped to 2.5. Although my levels were normal, I continued to have some fatigue, sleepy upon waking, night sweats, facial flushing, anxiety, and horrible brain fog. I decided to try my sample of Synthroid 50mcg and within a week, the brain fog, night sweats and sleepiness were gone! I wake up with the most energy I have ever had! I am still experiencing some anxiety and facial flushing which we are monitoring but overall Synthroid is working for me! I am 32 y o and 9 months post partum. I also take my dose at nights, hours after dinner"

Kat_PK (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"MUST be taken at night - and it absolutely seems to work for me. No more brain fog - and for someone who was always a go getter - the brain fog was devastating. No more night sweats either. Those were the worst."

LuckyGal84 August 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Diagnosed with Graves disease, my thyroid was radiated and destroyed. Put on synthyroid, took a while to get dosage right, but I have been on it for 8 years now and without it I would want to die. I take 100 mcg a day and I set my phone alarm to go off same time every day so I won't forget it."

AmyBill August 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For the first few years I had my OB/GYN monitoring my thyroid and adjusting my Levothyroxine… What a mistake! I never felt good and come to find out he was doing it wrong. Not doing the right test to monitor my levels and decreasing my dose when he should've been increasing. I started to see an endocrinologist and WOW! What a difference. He switched me to namebrand Synthroid only (which made a difference) and checks my levels twice a year to make sure I'm on the correct dose. I feel amazing for the first time in years!"

Bonnylee (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I feel awful! I have been on this drug for 6 weeks! I have so many side effects 1. Very tired ( no Energy) 2. Nausea 3. Headache 4. Can't sleep ( even if I take a sleeping) 5 Always feel Hot 6. Sweating 7. Clammy skin (have to the fan on on all the time) I live in Canada so it not that hot. Never felt so sick."

Teddykat July 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm hypothyroid and skinny as a rail and cannot even gain a single pound, 58 yo, 5'6" 88 lbs, thyroid damaged through radiation, have been on synthroid/levothyroxin 50 mcg daily, and I notice no change at all, still no energy, still totally exhaust 24/7,still losing weight like crazy with a relatively healthy appetite. However, since I totally trust my oncologist, I keep taking them."

dvdbrian July 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I can almost guarantee that most of these negative reviews are due to either 1. Taking the medication incorrectly (generic works for some not all), too close to food or iron,calcium, some antidepressants interfere) 2. Taking the incorrect dose 3. Not being consistent(must be close to the same time daily ) I had gone through many changes before finally getting it right. Seems to be working good after getting on brand name and taking it seriously."

John jacob July 9, 2016

"will ruin your life"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started this medicine about a month ago. It is making such a big difference in my appetite and my energy. I am a fairly young man at 23 years old. I knew something wasn't right with my body over the last few years, as I had gained about 30 pounds over the course of just a few months and felt so sluggish. It turns out, like many of you reading this, I have an underactive thyroid. I have heard that three drugs help with the thyroid hormones. Synthroid (T4 hormone), Cytomel (T3 hormone), and Armour Thyroid (T4 & T3 Hormones). Synthroid has gotten a bad rap because it's synthetic and it only covers the T4. Well, the T4 is most likely all you need because a T3 deficiency is rare. Synthroid is great. Stomach upset went away in 1-2 weeks."

Vinayyyyy070709 March 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before synthroid I was achy and tired. Now I have headaches...bloating...stomach pain...loose stools and the feeling of being in a fog. I'm only on day 4 of the lowest dose cut in half. I'm stopping it. I was put on it before and it made my heart go to sinus tach but the new doctor insisted I try it again! Hell no! I felt better before the medication!"

Nanny 88done January 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Since being diagnosed with "Hypothyroidism"(1999). 1st was given antidepressents for being tired and gaining weight (eyeroll). Have been on 88mcg's of *Synthroid-daily.My blood work has always come back with my TSH at the HIGH-end of normal. Former Dr retired years ago so no continuum of care (walk in clinic). Recently new Dr suggested we adjust meds to bring down the TSH level. Started with 100mcg *Levothyroxine 5 days & Synthroid 88-2 days a week.In a few months time I suffered some pretty severe side effects-EXTREME dizziness/weakness,lack of energy,mood extremes,weight is either climbing or stagnant,racing pulse/heartrate.We checked levels & now TSH reads at the extreme low end of normal.I'm scared please help."

Strong independent mom (taken for 10 years or more) August 1, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I been taking .025 MG everyday for two months.... I was not sure why I was taking it... I know I had a super low sex drive n now have a high sex drive whereas I have to relieve my self two to three times a day... I get very horny for no reason n notice my sperm is more thicker n I'm producing a lot more now...."

lilcal (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015