User Reviews for Synthroid

Learn more about Synthroid.

Synthroid Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Synthroid to treat Underactive Thyroid

"I'm hypothyroid and skinny as a rail and cannot even gain a single pound, 58 yo, 5'6" 88 lbs, thyroid damaged through radiation, have been on synthroid/levothyroxin 50 mcg daily, and I notice no change at all, still no energy, still totally exhaust 24/7,still losing weight like crazy with a relatively healthy appetite. However, since I totally trust my oncologist, I keep taking them."

dvdbrian July 19, 2016

"I can almost guarantee that most of these negative reviews are due to either 1. Taking the medication incorrectly (generic works for some not all), too close to food or iron,calcium, some antidepressants interfere) 2. Taking the incorrect dose 3. Not being consistent(must be close to the same time daily ) I had gone through many changes before finally getting it right. Seems to be working good after getting on brand name and taking it seriously."

John jacob July 9, 2016

"will ruin your life"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2016

"I just started this medicine about a month ago. It is making such a big difference in my appetite and my energy. I am a fairly young man at 23 years old. I knew something wasn't right with my body over the last few years, as I had gained about 30 pounds over the course of just a few months and felt so sluggish. It turns out, like many of you reading this, I have an underactive thyroid. I have heard that three drugs help with the thyroid hormones. Synthroid (T4 hormone), Cytomel (T3 hormone), and Armour Thyroid (T4 & T3 Hormones). Synthroid has gotten a bad rap because it's synthetic and it only covers the T4. Well, the T4 is most likely all you need because a T3 deficiency is rare. Synthroid is great. Stomach upset went away in 1-2 weeks."

Vinayyyyy070709 March 16, 2016

"Before synthroid I was achy and tired. Now I have headaches...bloating...stomach pain...loose stools and the feeling of being in a fog. I'm only on day 4 of the lowest dose cut in half. I'm stopping it. I was put on it before and it made my heart go to sinus tach but the new doctor insisted I try it again! Hell no! I felt better before the medication!"

Nanny 88done January 23, 2016

"Since being diagnosed with "Hypothyroidism"(1999). 1st was given antidepressents for being tired and gaining weight (eyeroll). Have been on 88mcg's of *Synthroid-daily.My blood work has always come back with my TSH at the HIGH-end of normal. Former Dr retired years ago so no continuum of care (walk in clinic). Recently new Dr suggested we adjust meds to bring down the TSH level. Started with 100mcg *Levothyroxine 5 days & Synthroid 88-2 days a week.In a few months time I suffered some pretty severe side effects-EXTREME dizziness/weakness,lack of energy,mood extremes,weight is either climbing or stagnant,racing pulse/heartrate.We checked levels & now TSH reads at the extreme low end of normal.I'm scared please help."

Strong independent mom (taken for 10 years or more) August 1, 2015

"I been taking .025 MG everyday for two months.... I was not sure why I was taking it... I know I had a super low sex drive n now have a high sex drive whereas I have to relieve my self two to three times a day... I get very horny for no reason n notice my sperm is more thicker n I'm producing a lot more now...."

lilcal (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015

"I had a blood test 3 weeks ago and I knew something was wrong. The doctor prescribed this to me. I don't know my numbers. I'm taking 25 mcg. I was tired before but now I feel like I'm dead. Too bad you can't take this medicine at night. I never had a puffy face, but the cold bothered me a little . Very dry skin that developed over the winter. I used to have Addison's Disease, which was easier to check with a simple prick of the finger."

Just started Synthroid 2 days ago (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"Synthroid gave me horrible migraines, two to three a week. Nothing seemed to alleviate them except getting off of the medication"

Missyrue (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2015

"While it brought the TSH into the appropriate range, the exhaustion, lethargy, constipation, etc. was unbearable. For 20 hours out of the day, felt drowsy, unmotivated and sleepy. This is no way to live. Got on Tirosint and what a difference."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2015

"I began taking my Synthroid three weeks ago and I feel great. First I began breaking my 25 mcg pills into quarters and started out taking only a 1/4 pill. I do this in the morning with a glass of water. I am now taking one 25 mcg pill. My sleeping has improved, I have more energy, my skin looks better and my face does not look tired,. I refused to take this drug initially when I was first diagnosed in 2011 because of a bad scare taking the generic brand, so I let my new meds sit for six months before trying this brand. It works wonders for me and being a life-long gym and karate guy, I have more energy to do laps in the pool and do weights too. I have taken iodine and it works ok, but nothing like my Synthroid. Time will tell."

sd21 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2015

"It allowed me to at least sleep better & I don't bruise as easy anymore...but it didn't relieve my swollen ankles, increase my energy, or start my hair to regrow."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2015

"It's official! My levels are normal and my hair is no longer falling out. Joint pain is also gone."

Dubble T (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 26, 2015

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I love that Synthroid has almost lowered my TSH and I'm feeling better. Though I am always hungry and eating a lot."

Dubble t December 28, 2014

"Had partial thyroid removal with benign tumor 30+ years ago, was OK until about 2 years ago and routine bloodwork showed low thyroid. After 2 years being OK on the medication suddenly the thyroid levels are dropping again, hair falling out, skin is breaking out in itchy red welts, gaining weight, so Dr upped the dosage. A couple weeks on higher dose I feel like I am "wired" in high gear, can't sit still, talking to myself going in circles, and my hot flashes have really really ramped up big time. Dr. says to give it at least 60 preferably 90 days to adjust, not sure I can hold out that long before stopping it. Hoping there is a better solution out there someplace."

Mizz Annie October 27, 2014

"Reading all the posts/comments on here - PEOPLE - if you are still feeling bad and not noticing relief from symptoms of an underactive thryoid PLEASE TELL YOUR doctor. If your doctor disagrees with you then find an ENDOCRINOLOGIST to get a second opinion. They specialize in endocrine issues which the thyroid falls under. You know your own body better than your doctor - research the symptoms of an underactive thryoid and if you are still feeling them - then get a second opinion. Never stop taking this medication on your own, it takes 4 to 6 And be aware that when you start this m weeks to notice a difference in your body. Also, ask your doctor to write DISPENSE AS WRITTEN on your prescription to avoid the pharmacy giving generic"

sharonc2006 (taken for 10 years or more) January 19, 2014

202 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Although Synthroid keeps my test results "normal" I still have all of the hypothyroid symptoms. Severe exhaustion, sensitivity to cold, trouble concentrating, etc...like I haven't experienced since before I found out I had hypothyroidism. I was only put on Synthroid since the medication I am normally prescribed is no longer available."

Tia4life August 22, 2013

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am taking Synthroid 0.05 mg (50mcg). Helps me a lot. Very effective in my case."

Shahid Rathore July 14, 2013

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking Synthroid about 6 months ago and I feel really good. I went from feeling like a zombie to feeling like my normal self again. Before starting on Synthroid I had most of the typical hypothyroid symptoms...tiredness, dry skin, cold intolerance, puffy face, etc. Now the only symptom that still bothers me is water retention. My Dr. just increased my dose so hopefully that goes away soon."

Tramag823 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2013

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Only been on this medicine for 4 days and it has already made a huge difference in how I feel. The depression was awful and the intolerance to the cold was bone chilling. I hope things continue to look up. So far so good!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2013

184 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Synthroid saved my life....been taking it for almost four years now. I had all of the worst symptoms in the worst way of a basically dead thyroid. I was feeling better within a week of taking it and continued to feel better and better every day for about the next six months. That's when it leveled off and I've been happy (and grateful) ever since. It took about a year or so to lose all of the weight I gained as a result of crummy thyroid. The weight just came right off after taking Synthroid. I'm on 225Mcg per day with very minimal side effects...so minimal that I can't recall what they are at the moment."

Robert2013 March 11, 2013

237 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking this medication for almost 22yrs. My thyroid is dead the Dr. said due to child birth. I started out on the lowest dosage. Dr. didn't want to shock my body I had to cut them in half for 2 weeks and then slowly went up from there. I am now taking 200mg now have been for several yrs now. Medication works good for me. If I miss a day I can tell and I feel really tired."

gfmissouri (taken for 10 years or more) February 2, 2013

"I've been taking synthroid for about 3 years. I had to have radiation on my thyroids because they couldn't control levels. It just would go real low than extremely high. I'm on a 300 mg taking mon through to sat. I'm feeling better but it takes a long time before they find the right dosage."

CMIRE March 6, 2012

"I have found energy again, however I have noticed my full head of hair is now thinning. "

Anonymous February 28, 2012

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have been taking thyroid medicines 10 years. I found that the generic version is not adsorbed as well as the synthroid. Went back to brand name a few days ago and am no long tired and my period finally stopped after 3 continuous Weeks. 10 on scale for sure!"

Anonymous February 20, 2012

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate