User Reviews for Thyroid desiccated to treat Hashimoto's disease

Also known as: Armour Thyroid, NP Thyroid, Nature-Throid, WP Thyroid, Thyroid Porcine, Westhroid, Bio-Throid

Thyroid desiccated has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 144 ratings for the treatment of Hashimoto's disease. 47% of those users who reviewed Thyroid desiccated reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Thyroid desiccated Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Hashimoto's disease.

Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Selacortezz June 17, 2021

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “Please do not take NP Thyroid when I was first diagnosed with hypothyroidism they prescribe me this medication. I wouldn't advise anyone to take it I almost died from it I was going crazy rocking back and forth filling so irritable heart racing, sweating, wanted to pull my hair out but not just normal side effect - like imagine those side affect x100 and I’m not even being dramatic. I finally had to call 911. I tried to explain to my love ones and all these doctors and E.Rs there’s something really bad with this medication they all said don’t worry keep taking it it’s new and your body is just trying to get use to it. That was rubbish. Please always trust your instincts. I decided to stop that medication on my own it took me like a whole month to recover I was left like I was spinning the whole time I couldn’t walk without holding on to somebody and taking small steps. A year later a get a envelope that it was a drug recall and that they added 100x more of a dose so I was not crazy”

RJB May 7, 2021

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “It's time to shut down NP Thyroid.....enough is enough.”

LV April 30, 2021

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “Was switched to NP thyroid after Naturethroid was recalled. I was doing really well on the Naturethroid, but I tried to stay positive in taking this one. It smells and tastes disgusting. I noticed unexplained pain in my hip, constant indigestion, upset stomach, random diarrhea. 7 months in and my T3 is off the chart, T4 and TSH are super low, basically hyperthyroid. In the past month I developed horrible anxiety, crying randomly and uncontrollably, trouble sleeping, and fatigue. I barely recognize myself. Had a complete breakdown in the middle of an exam. My professors are mad and think I'm somehow incompetent although I kept trying to explain I didn't know what is going on. Finally went to the doctor and found out she had prescribed Armour but my pharmacy was filling NP instead. Am fighting with insurance to get Armour covered, but I can't continue with NP. My temporary dose of Armour already smells better than the NP. I'm praying this works, cause IDK what I'm gonna do if it doesn't.”

College student · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 2, 2013

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “Everyone's battle with Hashimoto's will be different which will lead to different treatments. In my case, Armour has worked best. About a year ago, I had a sudden increase in weight with no change in diet or exercise. Once I saw this change, I ate healthier than ever before and working out consistently yet my weight went from 115 to 130 in a short period of time. I felt "puffy" and bloated constantly. Finally I was given Synthroid because Hashi's runs in my family and I had increase of antibodies. I was on it for 6 weeks and did not see any improvement. I am now on my 5th week of Armour and the bloating is gone as well as the weight gain. Don't let the doctors tell you how you feel. You must treat the symptoms. I hope this helps someone.”

missy · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 21, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I have had Hashimoto's since 1998. Synthroid never worked for me, so doctor switched me to Nature Throid, which worked miracles after only 2 months. When there was a shortage on Nature Throid, I switched to Armour. I have been on Armour 5 years. At first I felt great on Armour, but within the last 1 1/2 years, something has changed. All my symptoms returned September 2018. Have gained 25 lbs, hair & eyebrow loss, brain fog, and extreme fatigue, etc. I would bet money that Armour has changed the formula again but won't admit it. The pills do not smell or taste the same. Fess-up Armour!! Going to doctor in 2 weeks to try a different NDT. Stay strong!”

KT Graham August 10, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “Having been on Synthroid for 13 years and then switched to Armour 16 years ago, the difference for me has been like night and day, like those before & after photos. So many health issues on Synthroid. I requested to be switched to Armour and the energy began to suddenly appear in about two weeks. Changed my world. For reference I'm 66.”

Just Tired September 21, 2020

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “Been on Armour Thyroid for 2 plus years. I have never felt this miserable in all my life. Except NP thyroid. Synthroid and levothyroxine helped with numbers. Didn't fight the brain fog, lethargy, and annoying side effects. I have been living in nightmare for over 2 years be on this medicine. I've been suicidal, continued if not worse brain fog, hair, skin and nails. My whole body is not functioning anymore. Functional medicine people push this like drug pushers. Tried compounded thyroid as well. What a joke. These drugs seem to be a joke. Haven't been able to work full time in 8 years. Dr took me off estrogen and this is what happened to me. Hypothyroid, functional medicine drs didn't pay enough attention to the numbers, I kept telling them over and over again, now I have Hashimotos, and feel like rubbish. Functional medicine is a joke. But armour and NP are the biggest joke. Have no clue where I will be going next on this nightmare journey. Good for you all that feel better on this medication.”

Roksanaroxy · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 8, 2014

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at age 14 although I had a high TSH (in the normal range) since I was born. I was treated with Synthroid and levothyroxine for the past 7 years and I never really thought about how it was affecting me. Within these 7 years I gained and lost and gained again 75 lbs which was due to the depression that Synthroid was causing. I recently began feeling so bad and decided to stop Synthroid and asked my doctor for Armour...one month later and I am as happy and optimistic as I used to be before Synthroid. I have also lost 12 lbs within a month (with proper diet and nutrition of course). I have had no side effects on this medication and I am 100% happy I decided to switch.”

rc71 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2014

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “Within a week of taking Armour Thyroid my periods returned (they were gone 2 yrs on T4 only), my energy levels returned (I could barely walk or do any housework on T4 only), I can think clearly now (was in a state of confusion on T4) depression is gone completely (I was in a depressive state on T4 only and refused antidepressants because I knew it was not depression because of my life). I am out of the bedroom and functioning again. ”

Farmer T. · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 10, 2015

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “After being on Synthroid for years, I went to a wellness clinic and was put on Nature-Throid. I cannot believe the difference it made in my life. I finally have my life back! The head fog is gone, my energy level is back and the depression has subsided also. The only thing Synthroid did for me is change the numbers on my thyroid blood test, nothing else. I would NEVER take Synthroid again.”

Mammy6 · Taken for 10 years or more February 26, 2019

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “I have used Naturethroid for 15+ years very successfully....that is until the "Great Back Order of 2017". I scrambled and panicked and found enough at other pharmacies until it came back in early 2018. My question is: WHAT DID THEY DO TO IT???? Hypothyroid symptoms returned with a vengance, I have gained 30 lbs since last January, have lost nearly all of my eyebrows, ache all over in my joints and muscles, can't think clearly half the time and on and on and on....it's so hard to have fallen into this hole, and the sad part is no one has any answers. Now Naturethroid is on backorder again...but who cares... it doesn't work anyway. Run don't walk in the other direction from this defective thyroid hormone (or whatever it is).”

DeeCee2112 · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 22, 2014

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “I was on Synthroid or levothyroxine for over 20 years. Never ever worked. I lost my business because I was so exhausted and brain fogged. I finally switched to Nature-Throid. What a wonderful difference. Back in business and feeling great.”

Jsg January 18, 2021

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I have taken Armour thyroid for 30+ years after Synthroid did not work. In the spring of 2020 I began to feel terrible. Headache, tiredness, pain in my joints , no energy at all. My IM ran thyroid panel in me. Everything normal ( I don’t think he ran antibodies). I asked him to switch me to WP thyroid. He did and within weeks I started to feel like my old self. That lasted for 6 months and WP thyroid was pulled from the market. I had to go back on Armour Thyroid. All my previous symptoms are back and I feel terrible again. I am SURE that Allergan has reformulated Armor thyroid. We must report and complain to the FDA to get RLC labs preparations back on the market.”

Badsoden · Taken for 10 years or more October 29, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I have been on Armour Thyroid 60 mg for 15 years with 15 mg added 3 days a week for 7 years. I couldn't take Synthroid due to an allergy to the fillers. I am suddenly having body aches, body swelling, my hair is falling out, random rash on my face, foot pain that will not go away. Is it the Armour? I know a new company makes it now. I've been fine through all the claims that Armour had changed but this last refill has me wondering. The one endo in my area is worthless and I am not sure how to get to the bottom of this. My numbers are all good and have been. Of course now that I'm on Medicare I am paying full price for Armour.”

Got my life back! · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 25, 2013

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “After college I was diagnosed with Grave's disease and they did the radioactive iodine treatment on me which completely killed my thyroid. I used to be super skinny and could eat all the time. Now I'm not one of those people who ever got big my max weight after treatment was 147lbs, which for 5"4 still wasn't "big". I however was spending 2 hours working out 5 days a week and basically living on protein shakes so I should have definitely been a lot thinner. Before the treatment I was 123lbs and to bloom up to 147lbs in a matter of 4 years. I was on Synthroid for 6 years and never felt normal. I tried Naturoid for 6 months still nothing. My new doctor put me on Armour and I couldn't be happier. I have my energy back and am down to 130lbs.”

Sa gun · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 28, 2015

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “Ditto all the positives written by other reviewers. I don't understand why it was nearly impossible to get the clinic to prescribe.... I was so miserable on synthroid which I struggled with for 8 mo...with worries of health issues growing. I quit. And for the next six years at every doctor appt. I flat out refused synthroid. I think one of the 20 plus fillers was the issue. Doing my own research I begin requesting Nature Thyroid. Was told the clinic only prescribed synthroid. 16 months ago I won! And have been happy since on NT. UNBELIEVABLE then when I moved and my new doc in different state suggested I change. No way. I'm very happy with Nature Thyroid and think the medical profession is 75 years behind the times.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 11, 2015

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “My experience with Nature Throid has been very positive from the very first dose. Increased energy was immediately noticed. After 6 months of continuous use, I began to lose weight. The shoulder and neck pain associated with my thyroid disorder decreased tremendously. NatureThroid alone is not enough. I must take vitamin and mineral supplements to further lessen my symptoms as well as avoid certain foods and drinks.”

Jane September 17, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I took this medicine Armour Thyroid prior to 2015 with excellent results- 6 weeks ago I went back on it because NP Thyroid had been reformulated. I had a bad reaction to Armour both the 45 mg and 90 mg tablets- I could no longer get up in the morning- naps at 2- severe rash on fingers and scalp-anxious- depressed- not sleeping-I am in adrenal fatigue- can’t think straight. I don’t know if these reformulations are a way to push people towards synthetic? Or some new fillers have been added? Or the pig thyroid is being processed differently? My main concern is my symptoms became much more pronounced with in days of taking it and it was to the point where I could not function at 20% of my prior activity level-also the medicine seemed to be very uneven in consistency- I had several pills almost send me speeding and 95% of the other ones put me in bed. TSH which had been in normal range for 11 years plummeted to the edge of 0.”

danaleann January 4, 2012

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “I have been taking Nature-throid for more than a year now and find it simply outstanding. I have had no allergic reaction, that I am aware of, as I had with Armour brand and synthetic thyroid (a rash). My blood test results have been quite stable. I have been able to stay on the same dose, 32.5MG, and now enjoy the peace of mind of simply taking the pill (which I crush with my teeth and allow to dissolve sublingually) and get on with my life. I should note that over the past several years I have made significant changes such as eliminating dairy, egg, and gluten from my diet, which I feel has greatly complemented any pharmaceutical benefit. An outstanding medication, Nature-throid has helped me restore vitality to my life.”

Abba · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 5, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “Switched from Nature throid to NP Thyroid last summer and was delighted, it worked great. However, this new refill, obtained fall of 2019, has been terrible. My body exhausted, my brain non-functional: all my symptoms came roaring back with a vengeance. Scary. I read somewhere they were getting their raw material (pig thyroid) from a new supplier, which clearly is not working. Please get it together, NP, you are losing customers in droves.”

Sashas New Mom March 18, 2014

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “For years I felt terrible most days. Tired, sleeping by 7pm. No energy, gained weight, was puffy/bloated all the time. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease 9 months ago. My doctor prescribed levothyroxine. I still didn't feel like myself. Still no energy, breaking out in sweats (especially at night), always felt bloated. No relief from my symptoms. The worst symptom of all was forgetfulness and brain fog. After reading a page (Hypothyroid Mom) on facebook, I saw how many people had success with Armour Thyroid. She put me on 30mg twice daily. Now I am hyperthyroid. Hoping to get this under control soon. I feel 100 times better on Armour. And I've lost a little bit of weight!”

TrueThat · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 25, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I was diagnosed with Hashimotis after a thyroid cancer scare and removal of half of my thyroid gland due to growing nodules. All of the symptoms- tired, depressed, weight gain, hair loss, sensitivity to hear and cold, cold extremities- occurred after having my first child and became progressively worse with each of my children. Since the surgery, took Synthroid for 10 years and could not lose weight no matter what I tried. Went to progressive doctor who put me on Armour and I have lost 35 pounds in the past year, mood and energy levels are excellent, and memory and brain function much sharper. My levels are a bit too high/vary, but that is where I feel best and my doctor allows me to stay there. Find a doctor that will listen to you.”

LAMF · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2014

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I have had Thryoiditis/ Hashimotos and Raynauds Syndrome for 20 yrs. TSH was as HIGH as 200 but never went below 65 in 14 yrs. I've had 13 heart procedures and 16 stents. A Pacemaker in 2010 due to a Heart rate of 42 but no attention given to a TSH that was 165. Now we are checking for PHEOCHROMOCYTOMA .. Also my GP has replaced SYNTHROID with ARMOUR. Synthroid has NO IODINE OR T3 needed for the body. Side effects are terrible for a week but my body is ALIVE thanks to ARMOUR. ”

Liz · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 4, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I love Armour! I was taking Levothyroxine and felt so awful. My body ached, I was ill. My thyroid doctor refused to change my medication so I went to my primary and after my first dose I felt 90 percent better.”

destal3 · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 7, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “Manufacturer clearly changed the formulation. Ingredients are different and it doesn't work--I hate when they do this. In 2017-18 they did it to NatureThroid and before that they changed Armour several times. People rely on this medication and manufacturers could CARE LESS! Awful!”

Villager February 3, 2020

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I've been using Armour meds for 2 years now and my urine smells awful. There is a terrible odor and I can feel, taste and smell the most foul scent. I don't know how to eliminate this stench and not sure if the Pharm Company has done something to this drug to make it so terrible. They need to change this formula to correct this terrible side effect.”

Mini · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2021

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “NP thyroid is HORRIBLE. I have been on Nature Thyroid for 6 years. I have taken two days of this NP and my heart is racing, I can't concentrate and vision changes. I NEED MY NATURE THYROID. What is wrong with pharmaceutical companies. I can't live without my thyroid pill. THE ONLY THAT WORKS IS Nature Thyroid. But now IT IS NOT AVAILABLE. WHAT????”

Robs · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 28, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I am in a hashimoto's support group and there's a big red flag right now about acella's np thyroid. People are reporting a return to hypo symptoms, and that the pills have changed in smell, appearance and taste. I know I was feeling great but as of my mid-summer refill, have gone downhill with symptoms. Acella says they haven't changed anything. Then why are the pills different (size and has flecks in appearance)? This would be the 4th ndt thyroid med to suddenly change and sending goodness knows how many people back into sickness. Don't let this go unresearched!”

Learn more about Hashimoto's disease