User Reviews for Thyroid desiccated (Page 4)

Also known as: Nature-Throid, Armour Thyroid, NP Thyroid, Westhroid, Thyroid Porcine, WP Thyroid, Bio-Throid

TSH Suppression 7.8
Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal 6.3
Hashimoto's disease 6.0
Underactive Thyroid 5.7
Thyroid Cancer 5.2
Summary of Thyroid desiccated reviews 5.9 458 reviews

Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

allyedwards · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: “I was on Levothyroxine for 20 years and no problems. I maintained trim weight with long distance mile runs, the meds and somewhat healthy diet. And then after a big move to Florida (stress) menopause in full swing and other stress everything changed big time. Gained 50 lbs, terrible body cramps, hair loss, sluggish, swollen face, pain in my feet when I first woke in a.m and couldn't run anymore. I was told over and over my thyroid numbers were fine and then I came on here and read and deduced I had to force the doctors to listen to ME and not vice versa. I have now been on Armour for only one week, I have been able to start running, I have lost 10 lbs already and I am very hopeful the other 40 will happen in time. Still learning, about iron meds and other numbers in blood to watch and take supplements. Hoping I can have even more success to report.”

CM in NC · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 9, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: “NP thyroid used to be a great, life-changing medication, but now just seems like a placebo pill covered in cat pee . My Hashimoto symptoms are returning as well as a gratuitous stomach ache after ingestion. I can’t take this medication anymore! I returned the first refill after being told I got a bad batch and it was replaced by the same smell/taste combo.”

Sad Sack · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2019

For Thyroid Cancer: “NP thyroid had been working great for a couple years after decades of struggling with synthroid. But my last refill was their new formulation. Hypo levels came back with a vengeance a week after starting the new formulation.”

Elizabeth · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 6, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “Do not take this medicine! Started in July. He gave me samples first. Those were good. Did blood work again, doubled dosage and got script in August. My hair dried out and started falling out. Then insomnia, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, crying for no reason, menstrual cycle irregular, throat burning, stomach hurt, headaches, very greasy, complete brain fog, itchy with bumps, could barely talk, bad back shoulder and neck pain. Barely functioning day to day, I felt empty inside, like I was loosing it. l couldn't talk right. I was waking up at 12 am wide awake, couldn't relax, completely amped and exhausted at the same time. I didn't understand what was happening. I stopped taking it. Everyday my brain got clearer and felt more like me, my personality came back. I have always been healthy and didn't look at the side effects. I feel stupid for not, lesson learned. This isn't ok! I'm so glad I found this site and it all makes sense now. Please report this! I am!”

Giddyupmouthus · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 3, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: “I started taking this medication when I could no longer get WP thyroid. I was happy with the switch until this last refill in the beginning of October. I’ve gained almost 10 pounds, my joints hurt, the medicine smells and tastes horrid. I don’t know what they did but they did some thing. If I complain to my doctor she’s going to stick me back on Synthroid and I’m going to get even sicker. Please fix this.”

Not feeling good · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 31, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: “Was on NP Thyroid and felt like I was seeing results then the size of meds looked different the last 2 refills and yet my prescription was still the same. I have been going downhill since and feeling crappy again something has changed with this medication”

Badsoden · Taken for 10 years or more October 29, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: “I have been on Armour Thyroid 60 mg for 15 years with 15 mg added 3 days a week for 7 years. I couldn't take Synthroid due to an allergy to the fillers. I am suddenly having body aches, body swelling, my hair is falling out, random rash on my face, foot pain that will not go away. Is it the Armour? I know a new company makes it now. I've been fine through all the claims that Armour had changed but this last refill has me wondering. The one endo in my area is worthless and I am not sure how to get to the bottom of this. My numbers are all good and have been. Of course now that I'm on Medicare I am paying full price for Armour.”

Anonymous October 28, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “I have been taking NP thyroid for about one year now since NATURETHROID became unavailable in 0.5 grain. Its been okay but the last two months I have begun feeling horrible. I have no energy, feel very tired, digestive problems, bloated painful stomach, headaches, brain fog, leg cramps, anxiety/panic attacks, depressed, complete loss of libido, fat gain around the middle, and more. In early September I noticed my NP Thyroid refill smelled horrible. I contacted my pharmacist and he told me batches vary - it's normal. So I continued to take it, felling worse over time. I stopped taking it for 3 days as a trial this week, and felt somewhat better. I since found a few websites and blogs that discuss the issues. I am not alone. Will contact Naturopath tomorrow to see what my options are. I too, like others feel poisoned. It seems like my reaction is more than just hypothyroid symptoms. I did not feel this badly before starting thyroid hormones.”

PJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “I was on Levothyroxine for 5 years and felt like a zombie. Then on Synthroid for 2 years, still a zombie. Kept being told my levels were fine on what I was taking but still felt horrible. Finally found a doctor that switched me over to Armour. Been on it maybe 2 months and I feel amazing! So much energy and easy to get up in the morning. Only side effect I seem to have is a bit of an itchy scalp but I'll take it. I even lost 17lbs already! Not every medication works the same for everyone but I recommend trying it if you have done a couple others with no results.”

BowAndArrow · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 26, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Thyroid Cancer: “When I found NP Thyroid 11 months ago I got my life back. I struggled for a year on different medications after a total thyroidectomy for cancer but now Acella changed all that. That's over now. They changed the supplier for the active ingredient claiming it worked exactly the same. It does not. I am having memory problems, brain fog, heart palpitations, headache and a burning throat. There is something wrong with these pills. No more NP Thyroid for me.”

Bob · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 23, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “I am not sure why so many are having trouble with the new reformulated NP Thyroid but I am doing great with it. I just refilled mine last week and got an older batch and it was horrible for me as I could never get it right. Go t the new stuff in July of 2019 and yes it smelled but almost all the good NDT I have used that worked has been like that for me. I am taking the older stuff back to get a newer NP Thyroid. Used to use Naturethroid until that went down the drain just like Armour did and had to switch to the NP. Next stop for me is Thiroid S form Thailand.”

Reese · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 23, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “I started out in May of 2019 on Armour Thyroid (original prescription!) For some reason it was switched to NP thyroid by the Pharmacy & not knowing I have been taking it! Someone told me it is not good to switch Companies! I finally questioned the pharmacy today & was told they did not know why it was changed! I have been feeling so horrible since Aug when I refilled my last RX for NP Thyroid & now I know why! Thankful that I found this site! I will be back on ARMOUR tomorrow!”

Lara October 22, 2019

Westhroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I had been on this for many years, but the continuing shortage and inability to get this drug in Ontario is too frustrating. I have to get it prepared at a compound pharmacy and the cost is ridiculous as my insurance will not cover it (costs about $170 Cnd for a 3-month supply). I finally decided I would have to switch.”

Grace · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “Started taking NP Thyroid in July as per dr's prescription due to a slightly low reading on blood test. I've been on bioidentical hormone replacement for about a year and have regular labs to check levels. First week I was extremely irritable. Since then, my skin is very itchy and have areas on my shoulders, forearms and shins where bumps/skin eruptions have appeared that are hyper-itchy. Plus I'm hot all the time. I teach exercise classes and of course I get hot and sweat but since I started on this medication I sweat profusely. Plus I live in the southeast and with the sweltering heat we've had for the past 3 months it's been almost intolerable. And like others have said in these reviews the stuff stinks! I'm calling the dr today to get instructions on how to come off this poison.”

Jay · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 21, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “For all of you on NP Thyroid who have noticed a recent decline in you health with hypothyroid symptoms returning and NP having a terrible smell...contact Acella on line...leaving your contact information. This seems to be the only way they will get back to you. I did this last week and Steve from Acella contacted me the next day. He asked a long list of questions and was typing as I answered. He claims the only thing that they have changed is their supplier of the raw porcine and that is where they are looking at a possible problem. I asked him if he would like to hear from others who are having same issues and he said yes. I will be changing to either Armour (which also has issues) or a T4 plus a T3. I don't know what else to do.”

UA · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 21, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “I was switched from Nature Thyroid & Armour to NP Thyroid due to supply & insurance issues. I have been totally exhausted & bloated, which is partially due to stress (which also affects thyroid symptoms) but given the above comments may also be due to the medicine. I haven’t had thyroid levels rechecked recently & wondered if anyone has since experiencing exhaustion, bloating, etc.? Although a relative who also is hypothyroid commented recently that once diagnosed if symptoms of exhaustion, weight gain, etc. return medicine should be adjusted even if bloodwork results are in acceptable range. (Several relatives are hypothyroid & have been told by doctors to go by symptoms/ how one is feeling in addition to bloodwork TSH levels. There are other bloodwork tests besides TSH that specialists do also.) Hopefully the makers of np thyroid will get the problem sorted out soon.”

Feisty · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 21, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hashimoto's disease: “I started taking NP Thyroid in March 2019 after 20 years on Synthroid. Once my dosage was correct, I began to feel so great. I felt like I was actually a functioning human being again. And then I got the "new" batch in October and immediately felt terrible. I had zero energy, could barely walk down the stairs, deep hip pain. I examined the pills and they looked different (speckles) and smelled terrible (now smelled like cat pee, instead of just kind of unpleasant). Thankfully, I had some of my old batch left and resumed taking that and immediately talked to my doctor about switching to a synthetic T4 / T3 combo so this wouldn't happen again. I've been on the new meds for 5 day and not feeling well yet. Not sure if it's from the doses of bad NP I took or just getting used to new meds. This is just heartbreaking. So many people having terrible reactions to the "new" formula while Acella is saying basically that it's all in our heads. I just want to feel better.”

Bucky · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “I’ve been on Acella thyroid medication for several years and it really helped me. I had it refilled approximately a week ago. I always take this medication sublingually. However, the first dose tasted so bad that I immediately spit it out and knew something was really wrong. Went online and saw all the posts from others suffering with the same issues. Since I was so afraid my hypothyroid symptoms would return, I forced myself to keep taking it. However, it got to the point where I was so sick that I couldn’t get out of bed. Today, I decided that I couldn’t tolerate another dose and would speak with my doctor next week. It’s amazing how much better I feel! I don’t feel nauseous and have enough energy to at least get out of bed and function. I don’t know what’s going on with this company, but this medication felt like it was literally poisoning me!”

HS · Taken for 10 years or more October 18, 2019

For Underactive Thyroid: “I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada I have been taking prescription desiccated thyroid for the last 10 years The tablets made me feel alert and energetic without side effects and I liked the sweet, smooth and nutty taste. In October, 2019, I went to go refill my prescription and noticed that the dessicated thryoid tablets were lighter in color and emitted odor and taste that I do not agree with. Some describe it as "cat urine" and I do not disagree. After taking one 60MG tablet I experienced a headache What are these new tablets? RECALL? CLASS ACTION?”

Dee · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 17, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I have been taking Armour Thyroid since 2015. My TSH has been creeping back up in the last few months and I feel like something changed in the Armour. I am exhausted, feel comatose, like I'm never fully awake and dragging my body around. Wondering if there has been a reformulation or a product quality issue. I have an endo appointment and I know the doc's solution will be to go on Synthroid. Anyone else having similar recent (2019) issues with Armour?”

Gigi October 14, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “After taking NP Thyroid for five years, and doing well on it, I was expecting the same when I picked up my refill just days ago. After the first dose yesterday morning I learned something had changed drastically. Within two hours I had nausea and a terrible headache. Both lasted long into the evening. I had some older NP Thyroid pills left and took those this morning, and searched on the web for any others that might have had a similar experience. It didn't take long to find others who have had the same experience. Seeing as though Medicare, in their "infinite wisdom" has decided not to pay for any medication with T3 in it for the elderly, the cost involved with this refill was substantial. Acella says even though they have changed their supplier to one in Europe, the ratio of T4 and T3 are the same. So we, the patients are the guinea pigs!”

Matty October 14, 2019

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I've been taking NT for several years. I feel great on it and did not have weight gain or hair loss. I switched to it after Armour changed it formula and never looked back.”

kuuipo · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 13, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “My endocrinologist put me on NP Thyroid because we can not stabilize my thyroid symptoms. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 1995 and have been constantly changing dosages, medications etc... because of how I feel and my bloodwork. When I was put on NP Thyroid I felt so bad. This medicine was horrible for me, felt like I had the flu.”

Sickthyroid · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 12, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Underactive Thyroid: “Like many others here, after taking NP Thyroid for the last 5 years with no issues, my script filled in August 2019 smelled like urine and tasted terrible. I kept taking them and suffered a horrible stomach pain event and almost went to the ER. I contacted Acella and it sounds like they have a new supplier and this medication is now ruined. I guess I have to switch to Armour now after doing so well on this drug for so long.”

Kins · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 10, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated) for Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal: “I started on levothyroxine. It never helped, so I switched to NP thyroid. I felt more energized and didn’t fall asleep everywhere. Recently, I started to feel tired again, falling asleep at stop lights, feeling bloated, even if I didn’t eat, feel like I can’t catch my breath, increased anxiety, and I have this pain in my right side of my neck I’ve never had before. I noticed when I got my refill of NP thyroid Sept 2019, the color, smell, and taste was noticeably different. All these new symptoms started with this new prescription, nothing else has changed. The drug company may claim it’s still as high of standard as before even with their new supplier, but clearly something is wrong if many people have the same experience I have. Let’s make this about helping your patients feel better instead of any other reason that’s been concocted; go back to the old version. I’ll be switching to something different, because NP thyroid is no longer a product worth buying.”