User Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Also known as: Armour Thyroid, Bio-Throid, Nature-Throid, NP Thyroid, Thyroid Porcine, Westhroid

Learn more about Thyroid desiccated.

Thyroid desiccated Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal.

Reviews for Thyroid desiccated to treat Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): "I had 1/2 of my thyroid removed. The synthroid and levothroid left a taste of aluminum in my mouth. I was nauseous and fatigued. I asked my dr. for armour, but my insurance didn't cover that so he prescribed nature-throid. I love it. I thought it didn't work at first. I thought that you could eat with it, but come to find out, you have to take it 30 min before or 2 hrs. after you eat. I take it on an empty stomach with a full glass of water and have no problems at all. Very good medicine. 65 mg for me. My insurance just sent a notice they won't cover it any more, but I will protest it or pay out of pocket. I cannot do the synthroid or Levathroid....never."

mystlgrl (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 16, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): "Took Synthroid for about 15 years and although I never felt it was working for me my doctor would only say "well, your labs look good." I read about Armour and had my doctor change me. Armour was amazing. I felt great after 2-3 months. Weight dropped, dry skin and hair improved and my energy level significantly improved. Then all of a sudden I developed a terrible rash on my hands. Doctors tested for contact dermatitis, other allergies, all came back negative. The only new addition to my routine was the Armour. I read other reviews that discussed the fact the Forrest Phar. had been sold and apparently Armour was reformulated with possibly other fillers. Stopped Armour and the rash disappeared. Miss its benefits."

KBBD April 5, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): "Prescribed 1 grain split day-time dosage of armour thyroid. After 2nd day, each time I took the 1/2 dosage I had slight sore-throat and eyes itching and irritated, this happened every time and became progressively worse daily until 8 days later, I could not take the side effects anymore and had to stop taking it. Allergist tested positive for allergy to egg whites and dairy. I had ingested both of these products in one way or another on the days that I took the armour so figured it was the egg/diary allergy and not the armour. Allergist took skin/oral test with the armour and no signs of an allergic reaction to it, tried it again, 1 hour after each dose same symptoms, no more armour for me!!! Now I seem to be allergic to everything!!"

electriclade (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2016

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): "Been on Armour Thyroid for 10 years -- after taking Synthroid for three. Noticed an immediate improvement in my health as soon as I started taking Armour. Absolutely LOVED Armour until a few years ago when the formula (or something) changed. Now I am OK with Armour, but detests the huge price increase (3-month supply for $19 -- now $99 for 3-month supply). Reading this website to find alternatives to Armour because the price increase is ridiculous. Also, the quality is not the same!"

TexasCruezing February 4, 2016

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): "I have only 1 lobe of thyroid after having a weird mass. For 2yrs the thyroid seemed to do ok. Then bamm I became underactive. I flat out told my Dr NO synthetics. I wanted to try Amour. I have been taking NP Thyroid for almost 3 weeks. I do feel somewhat better but have noticed an extreme swing in my mood for a hour or so after taking it. Also I feel like I wanna eat like there is no tomorrow"

GracieGurlee (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2015

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): "It took a full 15 months of treatment plus adding a low dose of an antidepressant and topical progesterone for me to see the full benefits of armour. I became hypo shortly after menopause, experiencing severe fatigue, sleepiness, a 9lb weight gain in spite of poor appetite and low calorie intake, dry thinning hair and nails, depression, coldness, no libido. My face took on the typical dull thyroid expression with pudgy features and the outer third of my eyebrows missing. I had high cholesterol, yet my TSH showed normal at 1.9. My GP just said to "watch it" while I grew progressively worse. After 15 months on armour, I've finally settled on the right dose and I feel young and great again!!"

stit60 December 14, 2015

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): "My energy is back to where it use to be. I feel normal"

Dona M January 6, 2015

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): "I've been on Armour thyroid for 4 months or so and I've lost no weight and I'm tired all the time, also gained weight. Having hot flashes and night sweats and I've been feeling dizzy. My TSH is low along with my T3 and T4. It's time to switch medicines once again. I've been on 2 other medicines and nothing is helping me I'm so frustrated. I need some help, anyone know of a better medicine out there? "

Barb w October 11, 2013

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): "Armour thyroid gave back my happy life."

kaloka (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2013

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): "After decades on Levothyroxine I was starting to feel really unwell: tiredness, memory lapses, hot flashes, inability to cope with hot weather, sleeping badly, verbal diarrhea, impulsive behavior, mental fog and constant pressure which made me want to jump out of my skin. Got very isolated and depressed, lost all creativity and felt I was barely existing. The changeover was very smooth and problem free. Two days after I started my eyesight seemed to improve drastically, as though a dirty filter had been removed. On day 5 I felt totally at peace. Mentally, physically and emotionally it was like going from monochrome to full spectrum HD. Lots of energy, no hot flashes or mental fog, sleeping well. I've got my life back!"

undine July 15, 2013

219 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): "I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease and had my thyroid radiated so it no longer functions. I was started on Synthroid and I felt horrible. I was eventually prescribed all the other thyroid medicines but nothing worked well. I felt awful, I couldn't remember anything, I was exhausted and irritable all the time. Finally a Dr. prescribed me Armour and I feel almost normal again. It can be very hard to get as Dr.'s have to have a special license to prescribe it but I've been persistent and will accept no other thyroid replacement medication. "

Debra369 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): "I started taking Synthroid 200mrgs From 2002- Oct 2012. Because i had thyroid cancer. had both of my thyroids removed. A friend told me to try armour thyroid, and you will fill alot better. I took her advice and she gave mw the name of the Dr who will perscride armour thyroid. I been taking 90mrgs of Amour thyroid and i fill great, I can tell the difference after i took the first pill. My energy level is very high. I dont need a nap during the day."

Chill c (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2012

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): "I had Graves disease 20 years ago and my thyroid was burned out with irradiated iodide. I was put on Synthroid daily and gained almost 80 pounds over the years. I had all the bad headaches, fatigue, water retention, brain fog etc. Finally I started working for a functional medicine doctor who specializes in bioidentical hormone treatment. I signed up and we switched me over to Armour. I have only been taking it for about a week and I am already starting to feel better. I will report back in another week to say how I am feeling. "

csoljak (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2012

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): "I have been on some form of thyroid for 20 years. First I was on Armour then Synthroid. But what changed all that was my thyroid cancer diagnosis 6 months ago. They kept me on Synthroid, and never told me there was a difference. It seems to me that you need T4 and T3, which armour provides. I felt so achy after my surgery. Everyday my body hurt and I was do tired and absent minded. Also I have had weight gain. Went to a different doctor last week and have switched to Armour. We shall see. The main difference I feel so far is less body aches. That is wonderful to me!"

dnamel (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2012

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): "Great med if you can get it. The back order crapola struck right at the beginning of my treatment with it. I noticed right away relief in symptoms with it. I now take a combo of Westhroid and Nature-throid. Synthroid, Levoxyl gave me hell with side effects! Cytomel gave me vertigo, the naturals are GREAT!(Hashi's/hypo) worked up to 4 grains now."

Anonymous March 12, 2010

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Westhroid (thyroid desiccated): "I've been on a combination of Westhroid and Nature-throid due to the shortages for a couple months now. Gradually been upping the dose and FINALLY today after yesterdays increase my abdominal bloating is down! I've been afraid to "up" my dose in fear of not getting enough supply. But the bloating was so bad- none of my clothes fit -and I looked 8 months pregnant that and other non abating symptoms forced me to up one more grain and voila! Now, the other fear is will my doctor "freak" out? last labs showed low end free T's and a very suppressed TSH- which as we know makes dr's go nutty. But it does appear Westhroid is a bit easier to get. "

Anonymous March 12, 2010

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): "Was diagnosed as hypothyroid and started immediately on Armour. Actually gained weight on it, despite strict diet and exercise. Always felt very bloated in abdomen while taking it and still felt tired. During the time I was on it, they reformulated it and I felt even worse. Switched over to a combination of Levoxyl and Cytomel. Felt more energetic and even lost a bit of the weight. Armour may work well for some but it just didn't do anything for me."

Former Armour User November 3, 2009

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): "I was diagnosed with Papillary Carcinoma in early 2006. My thyroid was removed and tested positive. I was put on Synthroid and Cytomel for one week, then dropped the latter. I slowly went downhill physically and mentally. I gained a lot of weight, and I could not concentrate for any length of time. I could not return to work. An angel gave me the name of a doctor who would prescribe Armour Thyroid. Within a week I began to feel better. Soon I felt better than I had in a long time. I returned to work and have stayed healthy ever since. Armour Thyroid is the only way to go for me."

revzoom May 8, 2009

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): "After having my thyroid burned out 2 years ago I was on a non natural brand for my thyroid. I have not been feeling myself since these 2 years, always having no energy, not able to lose weight, not able to think clearly. I recently switched to Armour thyroid and I feel much better."

Anonymous April 18, 2009

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): "For 11 years I was on another thyroid medicine and just kept feeling tired and depressed. I started doing some research and 6 years ago found a physician that prescribed alternative thyroid medication... Armour Thyroid. It has totally changed my life. I have energy, no longer depressed and lost some weight. With Armour the most important thing is taking it the same time everyday. Energy level stays up and I seem to get the most from the medication."

Golfnut January 10, 2009

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Westhroid (thyroid desiccated): "My thyroid was removed in 1990. Nothing worked well for me except Armour. Then suddenly this past year Armour was impossible to find. They're reformulating and left all of us hanging. I found out about Westhroid researching on the Internet. I've been on Westhroid for 3 months and it was only a week before I was back to normal. It is the perfect alternative to Armour while Forest Labs leaves the people relying on their product, in a lurch. "

graydlett October 12, 2008

"I had my thyroid out in 2000 and it is now 2008. When I first had my thyroid out, my doctor put me on Synthyroid and would just look at the total TSH. Then I switched Dr.'s because I felt horrible and put on so much weight to find out my T3 and Free T3 were very low. It was possible my body was having a tough time converting T4 to T3 and the doctor switched me to Armour Thyroid and it was a life saver."

lkbrayton September 16, 2008