User Reviews for Thyroid desiccated to treat Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal

Also known as: Armour Thyroid, NP Thyroid, Nature-Throid, Thyroid Porcine, Westhroid, WP Thyroid, Bio-Throid

Thyroid desiccated has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 60 ratings for the treatment of Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal. 45% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Thyroid desiccated Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal.

Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

Abrock · Taken for 10 years or more March 31, 2021

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “My sister-in-law and I are both on Armour Thyroid and we have both begun to feel draggy and we've gained weight. I've noticed that Armour no longer has that distinctive scent. Did some research and have found that Allergan which makes Armour has been bought by AbbVie which makes Synthroid. Is anyone else noticing Armour not working anymore? Have to go for bloodwork and will tell my doc to either switch me to another brand or I will have my meds compounded. I take 60mg 2x/day.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 9, 2021

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I am struggling with new formulation of Armour Thyroid. It was always the best medication for me. Now experiencing sleeplessness, foggy brain and vision changes. If Allergan does not figure this out, I will have to go to a different med. Synthroid was terrible for me. Can not take it and function.”

undine July 15, 2013

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “After decades on Levothyroxine I was starting to feel really unwell: tiredness, memory lapses, hot flashes, inability to cope with hot weather, sleeping badly, verbal diarrhea, impulsive behavior, mental fog and constant pressure which made me want to jump out of my skin. Got very isolated and depressed, lost all creativity and felt I was barely existing. The changeover was very smooth and problem free. Two days after I started my eyesight seemed to improve drastically, as though a dirty filter had been removed. On day 5 I felt totally at peace. Mentally, physically and emotionally it was like going from monochrome to full spectrum HD. Lots of energy, no hot flashes or mental fog, sleeping well. I've got my life back!”

kaz January 14, 2020

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “After hyperthyroidism most of my life: Graves Disease, this is the ONLY thyroid medication that works for me. Insurance companies and pharmaceutical giants prefer levothyroxine or other more expensive drugs that have more side effects and for me at least are not as effective. I was on a thyroid destroying drug for YEARS and a specialist told me that if it hadn't worked by now to destroy my thyroid gland, it probably never would, it was just putting this strong med into my body affecting other bodily functions. So, I took "their" advice and destroyed my thyroid with radioactive iodine. Now I need to be on thyroid for the rest of my life. My doctor and I tried traditional drugs pushed by the medical establishment. I finally did some research and asked others without a functioning thyroid and was directed to Armor Thyroid. It has been working for over 5 years without adjusting dosage unlike the "traditional" thyroid meds where I had to constantly change dosage.”

Dee · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 17, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I have been taking Armour Thyroid since 2015. My TSH has been creeping back up in the last few months and I feel like something changed in the Armour. I am exhausted, feel comatose, like I'm never fully awake and dragging my body around. Wondering if there has been a reformulation or a product quality issue. I have an endo appointment and I know the doc's solution will be to go on Synthroid. Anyone else having similar recent (2019) issues with Armour?”

Kata October 1, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I have been on the NP thyroid medication for almost 7 years. I did pretty well on it. About 3 months ago I started feeling really really bad. To the point where I had to go different doctors to figure it out why suddenly I was feeling so bad. Well, thousands of dollars of testings later everything is fine with me but still feel like garbage. Then I came across this page and it all made sense. The NP thyroid medication no longer looks or smells the same. I have proof, I found an old bottle of the same strength and compared the two. Something changed and now I will have to figure out what I will need to change so I can feel normal again. Shame on you NP Thyroid- Acella for messing up something that worked just fine, but most importantly messing with people's life and well-being. Own up to it!!!!!”

Kins · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 10, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I started on levothyroxine. It never helped, so I switched to NP thyroid. I felt more energized and didn’t fall asleep everywhere. Recently, I started to feel tired again, falling asleep at stop lights, feeling bloated, even if I didn’t eat, feel like I can’t catch my breath, increased anxiety, and I have this pain in my right side of my neck I’ve never had before. I noticed when I got my refill of NP thyroid Sept 2019, the color, smell, and taste was noticeably different. All these new symptoms started with this new prescription, nothing else has changed. The drug company may claim it’s still as high of standard as before even with their new supplier, but clearly something is wrong if many people have the same experience I have. Let’s make this about helping your patients feel better instead of any other reason that’s been concocted; go back to the old version. I’ll be switching to something different, because NP thyroid is no longer a product worth buying.”

Just Me · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “Armour Thyroid seems to be doing quite well. Still in the adjustment phase, but no allergy. I chew my split dose and notice a difference instead of swallowing the pills whole. Everyone is different and adrenals plus iron need to be optimal for any natural desiccated thyroid (NDT) to work. I have run the gamut of NDT in North America and with the latest issue with NP Thyroid, went back to Armour. Well worth it. Symptoms abate every day.”

Sparty34 July 18, 2021

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I have been taking Armour Thyroid for 10 years and it has been great. In March of 2021 I started feeling dizzy, old, weight gain, and braking out in hives. Something has changed with armour for sure!!! I tried Levothyroxine and was totally exhausted so back on armour and hives are all back again. Does anyone know if the fillers changed or something?”

jody · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 29, 2019

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “I had RAI (antibodies for Graves and Hashimoto's). It worked for me until they recently retooled the plant. I'm not sure why there is a change in the product, but I've had a dramatic drop in T3 / T4 blood test. Below the lowest number acceptable. I ache all over. My hair is dry and brittle. I have put on 20 pounds over the last few months. I am so tired! Why did they change something that worked?”

Owl · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 5, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I agree something is wrong with NP thyroid. The smell/taste of my last prescription is awful. I’ve been on the same dose for over a year with no issues and at my last physical my TSH went from 1 in June to over 10 in November and I do not have a thyroid gland anymore. Something is wrong with this medicine.”

CMS · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 14, 2019

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “I, too, have experienced various hypo symptoms since the back order of 2017: dry hair, hair breakage and hair loss, weight gain, muscular aches and pains, and depression. The company says that nothing has changed, but I disagree. I tried posting on RLC labs site, and they blocked me from posting. That says it all! I found out, from someone who has done a lot of research, that the FDA has made RLC change the formula to call it a "drug", and I also found out that one of the ingredients is propylene glycol, a derivative of anti-freeze. I am not quite sure about that, though. I do know that whatever they did since the recall has caused problems for many, many people. I am now going to try a compounding pharmacy who will make up a pill with the same ratio of T3 T4 with only one filler, microcrystalline cellulose. Hopefully, this will finally help me feel better!”

Debra369 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 6, 2013

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease and had my thyroid radiated so it no longer functions. I was started on Synthroid and I felt horrible. I was eventually prescribed all the other thyroid medicines but nothing worked well. I felt awful, I couldn't remember anything, I was exhausted and irritable all the time. Finally a Dr. prescribed me Armour and I feel almost normal again. It can be very hard to get as Dr.'s have to have a special license to prescribe it but I've been persistent and will accept no other thyroid replacement medication. ”

mystlgrl · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 16, 2016

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “I had 1/2 of my thyroid removed. The synthroid and levothroid left a taste of aluminum in my mouth. I was nauseous and fatigued. I asked my dr. for armour, but my insurance didn't cover that so he prescribed nature-throid. I love it. I thought it didn't work at first. I thought that you could eat with it, but come to find out, you have to take it 30 min before or 2 hrs. after you eat. I take it on an empty stomach with a full glass of water and have no problems at all. Very good medicine. 65 mg for me. My insurance just sent a notice they won't cover it any more, but I will protest it or pay out of pocket. I cannot do the synthroid or Levathroid....never.”

Melissa · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 31, 2020

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I just switched back to Armour after being on NP Thyroid for years. I only switched to NP because my insurance will not cover Armour. Starting around summer 2019 I began experiencing lots of acid reflux, nausea, pain in my stomach that would last for days. I began seeing a GI thinking I had an ulcer or something. I had an upper scope done in Feb 2020 only to be told that everything was fine. I finally put it together that I felt fine until about 20-30 mins after I took my pill. I asked my doctor to switch me back to Armour and my stomach hasn’t hurt since. There is definitely something off with NP.”

Not Happy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 1, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “Was okay. Not like WP, but I was getting my life back after the RLC debacle. Now, in August 2019, they changed it. Of course Acella denies it, but you cannot argue with the pill physically changing and smells of ammonia. They almost seem like they have been tainted. All hypo symptoms returned with a vengeance on just one day of this “non-reformulated formulation.” Just trying to swallow the pills caused burns on my tongue, throat, stomach and intestines.”

Delta Dawn · Taken for 10 years or more September 16, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I have been on thyroid for 15 years. 8 years before thyroid removal, 7 years after. I started with synthroid at the beginning, I felt “normal”. Then it was difficult to get synthroid and switched to Nature thyroid. Was on that for a very longtime, made me feel better, no headaches, didn’t fluctuate in weight, then the money hungry pharmaceutical companies decided that we didn’t pay enough for our WORKING thyroid medicine and didn’t make enough. So, I switched to np. Now I am back to being fatigued all the time, migraines AGAIN, weight gain, brain fog, cramps in my legs, the list goes on. When are these pharmaceuticals going to be accountable for screwing with the well being of 100s of thousands of people.”

Golfnut January 10, 2009

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “For 11 years I was on another thyroid medicine and just kept feeling tired and depressed. I started doing some research and 6 years ago found a physician that prescribed alternative thyroid medication... Armour Thyroid. It has totally changed my life. I have energy, no longer depressed and lost some weight. With Armour the most important thing is taking it the same time everyday. Energy level stays up and I seem to get the most from the medication.”

Sonya Cooper January 10, 2022

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “Will never take this rubbish again!!!! I have no thyroid and thought this would be a good med since it's natural, wrong!!!!Dizziness, heart palpitations, extreme exhaustion. I am going back to levo as my labs were horrible on NP -elevated T3, but the rest low. No more of this horrid drug.”

Psalmist · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 29, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I have been taking NP thyroid For about 2 1/2 years. I have no thyroid it was removed due to cancer many years ago. I always thought it tasted nasty and smelled bad. But it had worked very well up until August 2019. I have gained 7 pounds unexplainably. I am super careful about my diet low carbs healthy etc. Please whatever you have done as a company change the dynamics back on the NP thyroid. It once worked!”

revzoom May 8, 2009

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I was diagnosed with Papillary Carcinoma in early 2006. My thyroid was removed and tested positive. I was put on Synthroid and Cytomel for one week, then dropped the latter. I slowly went downhill physically and mentally. I gained a lot of weight, and I could not concentrate for any length of time. I could not return to work. An angel gave me the name of a doctor who would prescribe Armour Thyroid. Within a week I began to feel better. Soon I felt better than I had in a long time. I returned to work and have stayed healthy ever since. Armour Thyroid is the only way to go for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 27, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I was on Synthroid for 14 years after my thyroidectomy (thyroid cancer). My body stopped absorbing Synthroid medicine. My dr prescribed NP Thyroid & I figured, great something new and I’ll finally feel better. The exact opposite happened. I had diarrhea for 2 months every single day (I’ve never had stomach issues), Heart palpitations & I was tired all the time. Talked with my dr this week & we checked my levels. My T3 & T4 we’re dangerously low. For 2 months the medication didn’t work at all. I called the pharmaceutical company today to put in a complaint & am waiting for someone to call me on a recorded line. It’s alarming to read all of these comments and hear that we all have similar issues. I’m a working mother who needs to have my medicine to function. I’ve missed work, sporting events & time with my family. Please look into these ingredients, fix them or remove this medication from the market.”

T-Poppins · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 9, 2019

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “I have taken levothyroxine as well as Armour and felt completely run down on both. More so on the Levo. I moved to Nature Throid from Levo about 2 years ago and really started to get my energy back. Last year there was a shortage on NatureThroid and I had to go to Armour, back to feeling like I couldn't lift my head off the pillow. Thankfully Nature is back in stock and I am doing much better. Hopefully this will help others who may be struggling with their current meds.”

Anonymous March 12, 2010

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “Great med if you can get it. The back order crapola struck right at the beginning of my treatment with it. I noticed right away relief in symptoms with it. I now take a combo of Westhroid and Nature-throid. Synthroid, Levoxyl gave me hell with side effects! Cytomel gave me vertigo, the naturals are GREAT!(Hashi's/hypo) worked up to 4 grains now.”

Chill c · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2012

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I started taking Synthroid 200mrgs From 2002- Oct 2012. Because i had thyroid cancer. had both of my thyroids removed. A friend told me to try armour thyroid, and you will fill alot better. I took her advice and she gave mw the name of the Dr who will perscride armour thyroid. I been taking 90mrgs of Amour thyroid and i fill great, I can tell the difference after i took the first pill. My energy level is very high. I dont need a nap during the day.”