User Reviews for Thyroid desiccated to treat Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal

Also known as: Nature-Throid, Armour Thyroid, NP Thyroid, Westhroid, Thyroid Porcine, WP Thyroid, Bio-Throid

Thyroid desiccated Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal.

Reviews for Thyroid desiccated

T September 11, 2020

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “My best med is recalled, pharmacy has none. ): I was on Synthroid after my radiation (due to a thyroid storm months earlier) and original endocrinologist refused NTDs though my labs showed I wasn't getting T3 conversion, and the endo didn't want to "take chances" (of me feeling good). But I finally found a doc this year who PUT ME ON Nature Throid these last 8 months I haven't felt this good, this NORMAL, since that awful radiation (please never do that, ever!). But today BOOM: recalled! NT was so good. I started with 1 grain and immediately (that night!) felt 100% better! Went a month on that, and new labs showed I needed 2 grains. I got the 120mg or whatever 2 grains is, and felt even MORE like myself! I've gotten so much done; I'm healthier (even with COVID going around)... but I couldn't refill NT because of a RECALL! I have a replacement (NP Thyroid —ugh, it sounds awful) so I pray in the Most Holy Name of Jesus we get Nature Thyroid BACK. Soon! PLEASE!”

Melissa · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 31, 2020

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I just switched back to Armour after being on NP Thyroid for years. I only switched to NP because my insurance will not cover Armour. Starting around summer 2019 I began experiencing lots of acid reflux, nausea, pain in my stomach that would last for days. I began seeing a GI thinking I had an ulcer or something. I had an upper scope done in Feb 2020 only to be told that everything was fine. I finally put it together that I felt fine until about 20-30 mins after I took my pill. I asked my doctor to switch me back to Armour and my stomach hasn’t hurt since. There is definitely something off with NP.”

Momma T · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 28, 2020

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I kept feeling bloated at the top part of my tummy. I had heart palpitations then realized that they changed my medication from Armour Thyroid to NP thyroid. I actually just stopped taking it. I know I probably shouldn't but with Covid 19 and no doctors app. in sight, I just wanted to feel better and I do! I thought I'd start taking Armour again and called the doctors office and much to my surprise they called it in. I checked online with the pharmacy and it's NP Thyroid! Omg are you kidding me? I have to call the pharmacy tomorrow and see about changing to Armour again. Geeesh! I used to take NP fine until several months ago.”

kaz January 14, 2020

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “After hyperthyroidism most of my life: Graves Disease, this is the ONLY thyroid medication that works for me. Insurance companies and pharmaceutical giants prefer levothyroxine or other more expensive drugs that have more side effects and for me at least are not as effective. I was on a thyroid destroying drug for YEARS and a specialist told me that if it hadn't worked by now to destroy my thyroid gland, it probably never would, it was just putting this strong med into my body affecting other bodily functions. So, I took "their" advice and destroyed my thyroid with radioactive iodine. Now I need to be on thyroid for the rest of my life. My doctor and I tried traditional drugs pushed by the medical establishment. I finally did some research and asked others without a functioning thyroid and was directed to Armor Thyroid. It has been working for over 5 years without adjusting dosage unlike the "traditional" thyroid meds where I had to constantly change dosage.”

Mopac · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 5, 2020

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “Started on Levathyroid. (spelling) Changed to desiccated Thyroid. Went from "the blob on the couch, to better than before removal. The NP is GREAT.”

jody · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 29, 2019

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “I had RAI (antibodies for Graves and Hashimoto's). It worked for me until they recently retooled the plant. I'm not sure why there is a change in the product, but I've had a dramatic drop in T3 / T4 blood test. Below the lowest number acceptable. I ache all over. My hair is dry and brittle. I have put on 20 pounds over the last few months. I am so tired! Why did they change something that worked?”

Owl · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 5, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I agree something is wrong with NP thyroid. The smell/taste of my last prescription is awful. I’ve been on the same dose for over a year with no issues and at my last physical my TSH went from 1 in June to over 10 in November and I do not have a thyroid gland anymore. Something is wrong with this medicine.”

Psalmist · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 29, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I have been taking NP thyroid For about 2 1/2 years. I have no thyroid it was removed due to cancer many years ago. I always thought it tasted nasty and smelled bad. But it had worked very well up until August 2019. I have gained 7 pounds unexplainably. I am super careful about my diet low carbs healthy etc. Please whatever you have done as a company change the dynamics back on the NP thyroid. It once worked!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 27, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I was on Synthroid for 14 years after my thyroidectomy (thyroid cancer). My body stopped absorbing Synthroid medicine. My dr prescribed NP Thyroid & I figured, great something new and I’ll finally feel better. The exact opposite happened. I had diarrhea for 2 months every single day (I’ve never had stomach issues), Heart palpitations & I was tired all the time. Talked with my dr this week & we checked my levels. My T3 & T4 we’re dangerously low. For 2 months the medication didn’t work at all. I called the pharmaceutical company today to put in a complaint & am waiting for someone to call me on a recorded line. It’s alarming to read all of these comments and hear that we all have similar issues. I’m a working mother who needs to have my medicine to function. I’ve missed work, sporting events & time with my family. Please look into these ingredients, fix them or remove this medication from the market.”

Shesok · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 18, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I have been taking Armour since Feb 2014. No significant weight changes (47 yo) in past years. Suddenly had foggy brain in December 2018. Retested and Endo changed my dose up by 7.5 mg. Which helped. Have been recently been experiencing same effect in last 2 months. Endo says my levels are normal, certainly don’t feel normal though. Will be going in soon for reeval. Not sure Armour is normal levels....”

Lara October 22, 2019

Westhroid (thyroid desiccated): “I had been on this for many years, but the continuing shortage and inability to get this drug in Ontario is too frustrating. I have to get it prepared at a compound pharmacy and the cost is ridiculous as my insurance will not cover it (costs about $170 Cnd for a 3-month supply). I finally decided I would have to switch.”

Dee · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 17, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I have been taking Armour Thyroid since 2015. My TSH has been creeping back up in the last few months and I feel like something changed in the Armour. I am exhausted, feel comatose, like I'm never fully awake and dragging my body around. Wondering if there has been a reformulation or a product quality issue. I have an endo appointment and I know the doc's solution will be to go on Synthroid. Anyone else having similar recent (2019) issues with Armour?”

Matty October 14, 2019

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “I've been taking NT for several years. I feel great on it and did not have weight gain or hair loss. I switched to it after Armour changed it formula and never looked back.”

Kins · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 10, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I started on levothyroxine. It never helped, so I switched to NP thyroid. I felt more energized and didn’t fall asleep everywhere. Recently, I started to feel tired again, falling asleep at stop lights, feeling bloated, even if I didn’t eat, feel like I can’t catch my breath, increased anxiety, and I have this pain in my right side of my neck I’ve never had before. I noticed when I got my refill of NP thyroid Sept 2019, the color, smell, and taste was noticeably different. All these new symptoms started with this new prescription, nothing else has changed. The drug company may claim it’s still as high of standard as before even with their new supplier, but clearly something is wrong if many people have the same experience I have. Let’s make this about helping your patients feel better instead of any other reason that’s been concocted; go back to the old version. I’ll be switching to something different, because NP thyroid is no longer a product worth buying.”

Kata October 1, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I have been on the NP thyroid medication for almost 7 years. I did pretty well on it. About 3 months ago I started feeling really really bad. To the point where I had to go different doctors to figure it out why suddenly I was feeling so bad. Well, thousands of dollars of testings later everything is fine with me but still feel like garbage. Then I came across this page and it all made sense. The NP thyroid medication no longer looks or smells the same. I have proof, I found an old bottle of the same strength and compared the two. Something changed and now I will have to figure out what I will need to change so I can feel normal again. Shame on you NP Thyroid- Acella for messing up something that worked just fine, but most importantly messing with people's life and well-being. Own up to it!!!!!”

Netty · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 30, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “ This was the email from acella .." Good afternoon Antoinette, Thank you for contacting us and we are here to listen to all comments and concerns.  Consumers are of the utmost importance in everything that we do.  We recently changed our API suppliers to an FDA inspected and regulated source in Europe, but all of our manufacturing still takes place in the U.S.  With this change, you may notice slight cosmetic and/odor variances that are no cause for concern.  Our formulation has and will remain consistent, along with our exacting quality standards that undergo rigorous testing to maintain the T3 and T4 always remain within the specifications by the USP.   Please don't hesitate to contact us with any comments or concerns"  I haven't had any symptoms return just yet...anyone else taste cat urine but feeling ok?”

Trish · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 24, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “Smelled rotten and I have had 3 seizures since I was on it! Went to er and switched back to Levothyroxine. I am starting to feel better now”

Just Me · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2019

Armour Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “Armour Thyroid seems to be doing quite well. Still in the adjustment phase, but no allergy. I chew my split dose and notice a difference instead of swallowing the pills whole. Everyone is different and adrenals plus iron need to be optimal for any natural desiccated thyroid (NDT) to work. I have run the gamut of NDT in North America and with the latest issue with NP Thyroid, went back to Armour. Well worth it. Symptoms abate every day.”

Delta Dawn · Taken for 10 years or more September 16, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I have been on thyroid for 15 years. 8 years before thyroid removal, 7 years after. I started with synthroid at the beginning, I felt “normal”. Then it was difficult to get synthroid and switched to Nature thyroid. Was on that for a very longtime, made me feel better, no headaches, didn’t fluctuate in weight, then the money hungry pharmaceutical companies decided that we didn’t pay enough for our WORKING thyroid medicine and didn’t make enough. So, I switched to np. Now I am back to being fatigued all the time, migraines AGAIN, weight gain, brain fog, cramps in my legs, the list goes on. When are these pharmaceuticals going to be accountable for screwing with the well being of 100s of thousands of people.”

Not Happy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 1, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “Was okay. Not like WP, but I was getting my life back after the RLC debacle. Now, in August 2019, they changed it. Of course Acella denies it, but you cannot argue with the pill physically changing and smells of ammonia. They almost seem like they have been tainted. All hypo symptoms returned with a vengeance on just one day of this “non-reformulated formulation.” Just trying to swallow the pills caused burns on my tongue, throat, stomach and intestines.”

Cucan2 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 30, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “Just got new script and it smells and taste horrible . Terrible aftertaste . Brushing teeth don’t even help . Took one dose this morning . Calling pharmacy and doctor as soon as they open .”

Sandy toes · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 6, 2019

NP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “I’ve been using Acella for a couple years. My new bottle of 60’s (has to sub the 60’s for 120’s because of backorder) tasted and smelled like INSECTICIDE! I took it anyway for a week. I had hypothyroid symptoms come back with a vengeance (yes, I took 2 pills). I reported my concerns to my pharmacy and they told me they had just that day received in some 120’s. So they sent me the 120’s and guess what? They taste and smell like INSECTICIDE too!! What gives? Side note: I stopped the horrible 60’s and took the few remaining 120’s of a prior bottle and felt 100% better plus they didn’t smell and taste like insecticide. We shall see how this new bottle of 120 insecticide pills control my hypothyroidism.”

Tammy · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 12, 2019

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “I've been on various thyroid replacement hormone therapy. I find that products that are natural works Armour Thyroid and Nature Thyroid. Both are equally the same for me. It would be nice if my dosage could stay the same but since surgery I find my dosage switching to lower or higher depending on my stress levels and whenever I lose or gain weight. Both affect my reaction to the medication but I guess that's a part of life. I just wish one pill and one dose fit no matter what. I give this medicine a 9 because it's more expensive and hard to find.”

T-Poppins · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 9, 2019

Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated): “I have taken levothyroxine as well as Armour and felt completely run down on both. More so on the Levo. I moved to Nature Throid from Levo about 2 years ago and really started to get my energy back. Last year there was a shortage on NatureThroid and I had to go to Armour, back to feeling like I couldn't lift my head off the pillow. Thankfully Nature is back in stock and I am doing much better. Hopefully this will help others who may be struggling with their current meds.”

Ei Mac · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 18, 2019

WP Thyroid (thyroid desiccated): “The old WP worked great. Since it’s return after being unavilable it has been junk. Like a sugar pill. Going back to Synthyroid. Don’t waste your time or money on WP.”