User Reviews for Oxybutynin to treat Urinary Frequency

Also known as: Ditropan XL, Oxytrol, Gelnique Oxytrol for Women

Oxybutynin has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 200 ratings for the treatment of Urinary Frequency. 42% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Oxybutynin Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Frequency.

Reviews for Oxybutynin

Ineedadoctor · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 10, 2019

“Was put on oxybutynin for a 'short term solution' for urinary frequency. It took about 6 weeks to kick in which is ridiculously long but my goodness, when it did, it was a miracle! Was able to get a full night's sleep again, could go out and not worry about making sure there's a toilet nearby and best of all, I went from having bladder infections every 3-4 weeks to then only having one for the entire 6 months I was on the medication! Now here's the catch.. There's a component in this medication that's called anticholinergic which is found in antidepressants, epilepsy tablets, etc. My major side effect was that I had fallen into a deep depression, got help but nothing worked. Then I realised, it must be these tablets. So I took a risk and stopped them. Since then, I am my happy fun old self (but with an OAB...). So moral of my story is, please do look out for psychological side effects as well as your physical ones, it could save your life!”

Lenchik · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2020

“After three weeks of taking it I’ve had every side effect that was listed on this medicine and no improvement at all. But the worst thing that happened was it ruined my eyes forever. Because it dried out everything in my body, 60% of my tear glands are damaged and there is no treatment for it. A blurry vision is listed as a side effect, but I have a pixilated vision from time to time and have a severe dry eye syndrome. Have to use moisturizing drops every 15-20 minutes now . I stopped taking it and would not recommend it to anyone.”

Denver February 24, 2020

Oxytrol (oxybutynin): “I have been on the patch for a month and am now very pleased with the results. The urgency was very annoying and affecting my work and my life. These reviews were all very helpful, and I referred back to them when I got depressed. My Dr. said to first try Kegels, or muscle exercises. Those weren’t the easiest to learn so I just skipped them and used the patch. I would have given it a 5 at that point, however, it was an improvement. The past 2 weeks I worked on the kegel exercises working from 2 seconds up to 10 seconds—10 reps, 3times a day and would now give the patch a 9. I believe the combination of the patch and exercises work best for me. As far as the sticky residue it far outweighs the problem. I agree with those that say 3 days works better than 4. This past week has been the best because I’ve only felt the urge when I needed to use the bathroom. These reviews have all been very helpful.”

Nee Nee #1 March 3, 2016

Oxytrol (oxybutynin): “Great product I have been on other drugs that gave me back side effects-rash, itching, dry mouth, constipation, headache, dizziness, back pain, etc. I urinate on average 20-40 times a day every approx 15-20 minutes, after using the patch I went as long as 2 hours without using restroom. my skin is irritated and red but better than spending my whole day in the bathroom. I cant believe my doctor didn't put me on this over the counter drug first before spending hundreds of dollars on prescription medications. I have suffered for over 30 yrs with the issue of urgency and frequency this is a miracle for me. Praise the LORD”

Nikkirose · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2020

Oxytrol (oxybutynin): “The Oxytrol does help for the urinary frequency but I am disappointed in the quality of the patch. The patch doesn't stay on for the full 4 days and it is NOT waterproof it says it is but its not I've tried taking a shower with it on and it came off. So, I'm done using them I tried 1 box of the patches and I'm not wasting anymore money on a low quality patch that doesn't even stay on like its supposed to. Very very disappointed wasted money.”

ie June 23, 2020

“ This medicine will ruin your bladder. I m dealing with the adverse side effects. I had urine frequency, after taking this medicine , I couldn't pee anymore. I have so much urge to pee but very little comes out. Please if you love your body , avoid this medicine. Other side effects are sore throat and extremely dry mouth. Not worth it”

Now sleeping · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 28, 2019

“I started taking oxybutynin a year-and-a-half ago. I was constantly getting up every hour all night long and getting very little sleep. I am now able to sleep 4 to 5 hours and not have to run the minute I wake up into the bathroom. It has been such a relief. The lack of sleep has been going on for 4 years and was just getting worse. Yes I do get a little bit of dry mouth, but some of my other medications have that same side effect so I just use Biotene to solve that problem. I wish I had known for years ago about this drug. Mine is a prescription in New York state and it is covered by Medicare and is very reasonable.”

BryteEyez · Taken for less than 1 month November 30, 2013

Oxytrol (oxybutynin): “After seeing a commercial for Oxytrol, I knew I had to give it a shot. I have had numerous occurances that if I had not been wearing a Depends I would have had a very embarrassing situation. I noticed a difference the very FIRST day. No sudden urges and no accidents ( or NEAR accidents). I have gotten my life back! I want to shout it from the rooftops! Very, very happy with this product! So thankful it is now over the counter! I have read reviews about people saying the patch left adhesive residue, I've had no such problem. Also have not had it come off in the shower or pool. I think it might be improved if the patch were a bit rubbery, say something along the lines of a blister band aide.”

regular joe · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

“I'm a big guy so the PA started me out on 10mg once a day. worked like a charm within a couple days. My urge to urinate went completely away. Life was great for about two weeks until I started having moderate/severe nausea/upset stomach around the clock. I considered the dosage being a little to high so kicked it back to 5mg the stomach upset-ness went down but not away. Sometimes I'll wake up in the morning with extreme dry mouth and a splitting headache. I'm probably gonna request a new med.”

Alxx · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 6, 2016

Oxytrol (oxybutynin): “Okay. I've been using this for a few months now and it's changed everything for me. It started working right away for me - I went to dinner with friends on the second night I had this on, and didn't have to go to the restroom once. Then. I walked around a park for awhile with no urge. I got home before I even had to pee. AND I DRANK BOTH WATER AND COLA! at the restaurant. I notice it starts to lose its effectiveness over time, sometimes well before the 4 days. Not sure if that's because of the chosen locations or what. Now and then I take a week long break altogether... Then try again and it works again. I guess I build up resistance over time and it needs to be reset. I use a waterproof bandage adhesive over top the patch to keep it on.”

Patt Bush October 3, 2013

Oxytrol (oxybutynin): “I have had the patch on for 24 hours, don't even know it is there. I CANNOT believe it's effectiveness. The CONSTANT urge to urinate is GONE! I have NO feeling that I will have an accident and I DON'T have to visit the bathroom constantly to make sure my bladder is empty! My bladder actually feels CALM. All other methods I have tried were failures right from the onset of use. ”

Linda · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2019

“I started oxybutynin 5mg 3 times a day two months ago for bladder control due to MS. Previously I had been on Tolterodine, but when I went on Medicare they did not want to cover it at first. However, I got an exception to use it, but still decided to try Oxybutynin because it cost $2 compared to $163 a month for the Tolterodine. The Oxybutynin does help with frequency of needing to urinate, however, the side effects I experienced have made me decide to go "cold turkey" for awhile and see how I get along. I had dry mouth, dry skin and unusually dry and cracked fingertips, gas, loose bowels, heartburn, bloating and burping. Additionally, when I did have to urinate, I had a hard time getting started and making sure my bladder was empty. That could be a combination of MS symptoms and drug side effects, but I did not have that feeling on Tolterodine.”

TXBluebonnet · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 4, 2019

“I've been on Oxybutynin for about 3 months. The first thing I noticed I was gaining weight for no reason. I seemed to be swollen and just generally miserable. Gradually I started having back pain. Now It's been 3 months and my back pain is so bad it's debilitating. I've never experienced any kind of back pain like this before with an infection or taking a medication. I'm getting off this Oxybutynin ASAP and hoping these horrible side effects will go away quickly.”

Bobbi C February 7, 2011

Oxytrol (oxybutynin): “For two years urologists tried six different pill-form medications to try to help me with my 24/7 discomfort, pain, bladder spasms and need to use the bathroom a dozen or more times daily. It was horror, and nothing came close to helping until I was finally given the Oxytrol patch. Over a period of less than one week, it was as if my life was given back to me. Period. I was able to visit places without stopping to "go" continually; again we enjoyed marital intimacy; and I no longer went sleepless or suffered terrible pain-- or a single side-effect. Thank you for your joint efforts in the launch of this medication. You have given many back a Life. I will be glad to boast your praises anytime, anywhere--for free.”

skh4you · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2014

Oxytrol (oxybutynin): “For me, it took two patches but on the fifth day, they really started working! I am 63 and have had trouble with overactive bladder for the past ten years, off and on. It gets worse depending on what I ingest food and medication wise. I am now in the bathroom every couple of hours instead of every half hour and always feeling the urge like I was. It's wonderful. Thanks for this product!”

caren4u · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2017

Oxytrol (oxybutynin): “This is my first day of using Oxytrol...Amazing ....there is no comparison in the difference...I have not had urgency, leakage, or inability to control....I will continue to buy this product. I tried Azo...and it did not help at all....I am more than pleased with the Oxytrol....”

Zip123 · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2017

“I'm taking Oxybutynin (5mg tab) once a day at bedtime. So far loving this medication. I have some trouble with sleeping so this medication helps me fall asleep. I'm taking the lowest dose so I really don't have the dry mouth problem. The best part is now I'm going 5 hours or more at night before peeing. I'm getting a much better night sleep. Insurance rates this as a tier 1 medication, so my cost is only 10 bucks a month. So at not having to get up every 2 hours to pee is outweighing any side effects.”

Theresa S · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 8, 2013

Oxytrol (oxybutynin): “I want to thank Merck and it's scientist that developed this patch and I am so glad it is Over the Counter now. I have worn the patch for one month now. I am on my second box and will be purchasing a third a forth and so on..... Oxytrol has changed my life back to normal. No standing up and urine flowing out uncontrollably anymore. No more 12-15 trips to the bathroom a day. I travel and now I can drive for 2-3 hours at a time without stopping for a bathroom. Now I change the patch on day 4. I did try to hold out for the 4th night and while i did not have the urgency problem I did have to urinate more frequently than if I go four days and three nights. The adhesive problems and the crinkling I DON'T CARE better then a diaper.”

Bw4964 · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2019

“I've been on the oxybutynin for 6 days now for and overactive bladder. A year and a half ago (11/17) I broke my pelvis in 2 places and my sacrum. In the beginning I was unable to void on my own and they prescribed me with flomax which helped but it made me so dizzy, I stopped taking it. Fast forward to 2019 and my bladder spasms & urgency were increasing and making it really uncomfortable. So after a UDS my doctor decided to try me on oxybutynin. While it seems to help the spasms it seems to make it harder to be able to start voiding. Like it relaxes it almost to much, when I try harder to void it just leads to a spasm. That and the dry mouth, dry throat, dry eyes and sinuses are really uncomfortable. Feeling like I need to constantly clear my throat is for the birds. I'm certainly going to take myself off of it. These side effects just aren't worth it.”

Just me? · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2014

Oxytrol (oxybutynin): “I tried the Oxytrol patch and liked the effect on helping my overactive bladder, but it irritated my skin and caused such itching I couldn't continue it. I tried placing the patch in a variety of places to no avail. I see on this site that it seems to be a common occurrence. ”

coffeeman September 8, 2013

Oxytrol (oxybutynin): “What a difference the Oxytrol patch has made in my life. I was having to go to the bathroom 10 to 12 times in an afternoon. Since using the patches, I only go about 4 times. I have had no side effects.”

Female 49yo · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 21, 2013

Ditropan (oxybutynin): “It definitely helps with "urgency" - I can now hang on for a while (up to an hour), whereas before I had to go immediately. My main concern with it is a feeling of vagueness and slight difficulty focusing mentally, starting around an hour after I take it and lasting 2-3 hours. It seems to be increasing. I am concerned enough about this that I am considering stopping Ditropan. Another side effect is a dry mouth. I need to have frequent sips of water, and the dryness wakes me up 2-3 times a night.”

Cazzita February 2, 2017

“I have been on this for 1 week and yes, it is working. I don't have the overwhelming urges and can sleep right through - great! BUT, I am hating the side effects! Constant dry mouth (Ok, I take water and chew gum) but I feel like my stomach is constantly full, have almost constant heartburn and sometimes when eating, I feel like I am having a mild panic attack and can barely breathe. This is frustrating to say the least and I am fed up feeling so fat with this drug! Not sure whether to carry on or end taking this. Anyone else feel these symptoms - especially the difficult to swallow/breathe/panic bit? Many thanks”

L C · Taken for less than 1 month October 7, 2013

Oxytrol (oxybutynin): “ABSOLUTELY THRILLED. I'M AMAZED. I just turned 52-YO but have suffered from incontinence for the last few years and seem to go through 2 to 3 "super-plus" Poise or Tena each day, plus one at night. I saw an ad on TV yesterday for Oxytrol and bought a 4-pack ($16.99) on my lunch hour and put one on about 1:15pm. And while certainly NOT recommended for someone with my condition, my co-workers and I go out on Mondays for a few cocktails and I always make sure I have extra 'pads' in my purse. We're talking LESS THAN 5-HOURS and a few Miller Lites, I stayed totally dry and only leaked when I was just about to sit down on the toilet. THAT IS A MIRACLE.”

Alla March 20, 2019

“Oxybutynin has helped a lot with stopping me needing use bathroom as much. But I have severe dry mouth and throat, my voice has become raspy even. Has that happened to anyone else taking this - having a raspy voice. Not sure if it's due to the very dry mouth and throat. I've been taking this medication for almost a year now.”

Learn more about Urinary Frequency