User Reviews for Estradiol

Also known as: Alora, Climara, Estradiol Patch, Menostar, Minivelle, Vivelle-Dot

Gender Dysphoria

1 review 155 medications
Oophorectomy

Summary of Estradiol reviews 7.0 242 reviews

Reviews for Estradiol

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "The Alvogen Estradiol patches are garbage. They never stay stuck to your skin . For the fourth time, I just applied a patch last night, and today it came off. It did not even make it through 24 hours. If they do happen to stay on for the full week, they get filthy and are itchy. The Minivelle patch was great. Small, twice a week, stayed clean, and stayed on. My insurance stopped covering Minivelle. A weekly patch is no good for anybody if it doesn't stay on for the full week. I only get four in a box - for the month! Now I have to wait until next week to apply another patch."

Marg704 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 26, 2019

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: "I take the Mylan estradiol small patches they are tiny, invisible and I switch them one a week. I've been taking them for 6 weeks and can't tell if they are doing anything. I do notice that I've gained weight, and feel very bloated around my period time. They were suppose to help with sleeping but I haven't seen that happening. Anyone else experience bloating?"

Spiff (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2019

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "Mylan Patches are too big, gave me a bad skin reaction, and they just don't adhere to the skin. Alvogen was the best for a reasonable copay($10.00)....now I can change to Climara but it will cost $48.00 copay...I'll go broke! I'm going to try the minivelle w/a ($10.00 copay). Hopefully I have success. I hope it works! I don't want to go through that hell again. Anxiety, depression, heat flashes & fatigue. If not I'm going to go to Climara & go broke"

T February 27, 2019

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "I read through many of the comments - and I could NOT agree more about the Mylan patches. I stopped using them years ago for the same reason: too big, skin reaction, and they just didn't adhere to the skin. I had received such a poor quality supply, I wrote directly to the manufacture. They did send me a refund check for two of the three months I requested. AT this point I found Alvogen brand. This has been the best estrogen patch ever- however, I just went to refill at WalMart and they said that Alvogen was no longer available for shipment to them. Was told it was discontinued being sent to WalMart. CVS did have some of what I needed on the shelf for now. I am doing some research to find out what is happening."

Ramona (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 18, 2019

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Oophorectomy: "My new doctor switched me to this massive thick sponge from Depo Estradiol that I had been using successfully for years. I now have constant asthma, and horrible hot flashes, can't sleep. and am exhausted all the time. I took it off last night and low and behold for the first time in a month I woke up without asthma! The Depo never gave me asthma. As an aside, when I opened the first one, I honestly could not believe what I was seeing. It is ridiculous. Thick, huge ugly. It really is at the dumbest cheapest hunk of garbage out there. Mylan, you can do better!!"

CoCo (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2019

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Oophorectomy: "I was on the Alvagen patch. Worked like a charm. This past week, my plan/pharmacist switched me to the mongo, tangerine-sized Mylan Estradiol patch. Mylan? All other dysfunctional aspects aside...who would want to wear that thick, monster patch on their skin all day? As it turns out, I'm also really allergic to whatever material gives the Mylan patch such bulk & heft. My skin flared within a day -- and the red, itchy rash lasted a full week, even after I pulled that sucker off. And I reckon that this didn't do much to deliver my estrogen fix, either... Earlier reviewers pointed out that clearly a dude must have devised the Mylan patch, and I can't disagree. A flaming misogynist, I suspect. :) Avoid."

MoMom (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2019

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Oophorectomy: "I cannot believe how terrible this patch is. I was on the 0.05mg Estradiol Transdermal System by Noven which was incredibly helpful after the removal of my ovaries at age 31. It eased some of the depression, anxiety, and complete lack of energy. My insurance changed and instead of being filled at CVS, now I have to go to Walgreens and this is the new patch. I've been on it 3 days and feeling crazy. It's a large awkward foam patch that flapped off on the second day. The hot flashes all night are back, digestion issues, crying all day, and the emotional volatility. I'm relieved I found that I am not alone and will be attempting to switch to any other brand."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2019

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for : "For years I used Minniville, great product no problems. Never had one fall off, ever. Price is outrageous now. Started Mylan Estradiol patchand I don't know if they work, they have never stayed on longer than a day. Been on them 4 weeks. I'm going to Dr to get another prescription of anything else but this rip off."

TX February 1, 2019

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Oophorectomy: "I did great on the previous estradiol patch! This one almost cost me my job! Angry, crying fits, hot flashes, not to mention the stiffness and itching from the patch! I'm so glad to see others have had the same issues! I want my old patches back!!!"

Beth (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2019

Vivelle-Dot (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "I started the patch in 2011. Six months later I started experiencing pain from my back down to my toes. (It didn't even cross my mind it would be the patch) I went to so many doctors & had lots of test, tried a ton of medication. I've been misdiagnosed so many times. Late 2018 it's like a lightbulb went off I started ready reviews on this patch. I decided to try the hormone pellets to see if in fact Vivelle was the problem. It's been 6 months since I started the pellets & thank goodness I'm slowly getting better!!!! The pellets are expensive but at this point I have wasted 7 years of extreme pain. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM HORMONE PATCHES!!!!!"

Southwest (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 26, 2019

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "Was on the 2x-weekly .025 Mylan Estradoil patch for the past two years. Worked fine and was a small, clear plastic rectangle. Now my insurance will only pay for the 1x-weekly version which is 4x the size, skin tone only if you are lily white (RACIST), a huge embarrassing disk of what appears to be styrofoam that doesn't stick for the full week (unless I don't shower, swim or sweat), that is so big it either sticks out from my underwear or is under the waistband of my jeans. Obviously it is a man who is the product manager who invented this DISASTER."

Mylan hater (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 25, 2019

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Oophorectomy: "Was on pills from 2002 to 2009 when I had a gallbladder removed - suspected the estrogen pills were involved. Switched to a patch - Vivelle 2/week and did fine until insurance pulled me off in 2018 mid year - switched to Mylan - which DO NOT WORK. Went back on Vivelle and all was fine until my insurance again refused and it is costing me $400+/month so had to go back on Mylan. Started Sunday and by Tuesday having hot flashes and put on a new patch Thursday (Sun/Th schedule) and by afternoon hot flashes were in full force. MYLAN does NOT work."

CeCe (taken for 10 years or more) January 24, 2019

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "These are horrible and at the drug store I heard another women complain. I tried them years ago and they were bigger and worse. They cost a fortune and they fall off with a couple days. They are big and thick and the whole time they are on they itch. For a months worth you are lucky if you get a weeks worth of med. There is a big difference between this and the original brand (which is good). They should be illegal."

Connie January 15, 2019

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Oophorectomy: "This review focuses mainly on the Mylan brand weekly patches as a generic for Climara. They are awful. Cons: They don't stick They don't deliver a consistent dose of estrogen They don't appear to deliver the advertised level of estrogen They are huge They are thick foam They are stiff foam They show underneath your clothes Pros: They seem to be the only available patch in my local market, possibly due to a surplus because they suck and nobody will voluntarily buy them if given a choice so they are easy to find. I have been on Vivelle Dot for 10 years with no issues, but switched to a weekly patch for a smoother delivery. I used the Alvogen brand generic for 2 years with no problems, but was switched to Mylan 12/2018. My first patch fell off in 24 hours. My second patch stuck, but I was experiencing non-stop hot flashes. I decided they sucked and drove 45 minutes to the nearest pharmacy that still had a box of Alvogen brand. My symptoms stopped within an hour."

Entrelac January 11, 2019

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "I was on Minivelle patches for 2 years when my insurance decided they would no longer pay for them. I was given the generic by Mylan and it is bigger than the Minivelle patch. It helps some. When I was on the Minevelle patch, I was able to sleep thru the night and did not experience any hot flashes. With the Mylan patch, I do not sleep thru the night and hot flashes are sporadic. My rating is based off of the Mylan brand. I would give Minivelle a 9."

sweetpea (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2019

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Oophorectomy: "I have been on a Estradiol Patch for 19 years since I had a full hysterectomy and ovaries removed. I have other issues that warrant me to continue to stay on the patch for now. I was lucky the last few years to use the Estradiol Transdermal System 0.05 mg patch from Alvogen filled by CVS pharmacy. Unfortunately my insurance has changed and I have to use Walgreens now. They are filling my prescription with the Estradiol Transdermal System 0.05 mg patch by Mylan. Mylan is the worst! With 19 years experience, it falls off ALL THE TIME! In hot weather, after a shower, just because. I am going to try to find a pharmacy in my network that does not use Mylan brand and see if I can get back to use Alvogens brand. Alvogen is the best by far. Mylan brand should be off the market, it is the WORST!"

Linda Joy (taken for 10 years or more) January 6, 2019

Climara (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "I was prescribed the climara .25 patch for night sweats , achy joints, and not sleeping well, I am 58 years old and just went in to full menopause ( late bloomer)... I have not had any issues with taking the backing off or having it stay on for the week. I went back to the doctors after a month to review how I was feeling, still was having issues with aching joints especially my knees, but have slept better and night sweats pretty gone. She did increase the patch to .50 for me to see if that will help with the joint pain. I cannot take HRT orally as bother my stomach a great deal after about 5 days , so far think the .50mg better suited for my needs. Good product !"

LAURA (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2018

Femring (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "I used the Femring for over 6 years, with almost fantastic results. It was so easy to forget it was there. Took care of the hot flashes immediately thank heavens but still needed to use Premarin cream on occasion for an vulva itch. Problem was my insurance just kept upping my copay then finally just quit paying for it which made the price over $700 which I refuse to pay. Now started using Imvexxy and not thrilled so far. Thank god the itch has disappeared but the hot flashes are back with a vengeance!! Still waiting for my body to adjust..."

Joycar (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 28, 2018

Alora (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "The patches are large compared my new patches I have just swopped to. 1/3 of the patches do not stick well and fell off and had to be replaced. I finally switched to a different brand and no more problems."

Vicki (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2018

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "This is specifically about the MYLAN generic substitute for the Climara estradiol patch. Let me add mine to the chorus of frustrated voices: this product should be withdrawn by the FDA & insurance should not cover it. It's ineffective due to its defective delivery system. The patch is large, thick and stiff, and the adhesive is poor. I am a daily swimmer. It falls off after 2-3 days and cannot be reattached. The package insert says "may fall off after swimming, saunas, AND SHOWERING!!!" Well thanks a lot! That knowledge cost me $150. The Climara patch, on the other hand, has been extremely effective. Been on it for years. Addressed my volatility and depression and my bone density has not declined in a decade. It's clear, thin, small, flexible, and adheres all week."

True Lotus (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2018

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Oophorectomy: "I have used this transdermal patch for nearly 3 years after my complete hysterectomy. I have not had any side effects nor have I experienced any menopausal symptoms. These patches are quite large and I would like to see the manufacturer develop a smaller patch. I have only had a few instances where the patch came off on its own but, at the time, I was doing quite a bit of water activities while on a beach vacation. The sticky residue left behind after removing is rather annoying but it helps to use an alcohol swab to get it off. Overall, I have been happy with this patch but would really like it to be much smaller in size."

Annanana (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 13, 2018

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Oophorectomy: "It had already lost it adhesive before I attempted to put it on. When I put it on 1/2 when transparent and the other 1/2 stayed clouded. I was on this for Ovarian / Ovaries removed (oophorectomy). I was a crying mess after day 3. These patches do not work. We called the doctor to get a different kind. I'm sweaty, I'm irritated. Just not good medicine."

AG Happy (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2018

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "A BIG zero! I've tried generic Mylan estradiol patches, the Minivelle patches and both I had to increase and increase because the doses never got my levels up, even at the highest dose. Finally went to new doc and am on implanted SottoPelle pellets and its been wonderful all my symptoms are gone and I only have to get new pellets once every 4-6 months. The patches are a waste of time, if you go out in the sun or in a hot tub the patches release a huge dose of the estradiol due to heat then you are stuck with low hormones again before its time to change the patch. It's a constant see-saw effect on your body which can make you feel horrible. Patches are an ineffective way to keep estrogen at a steady level."

JA (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 26, 2018

Divigel (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: "Taking .25mg 1/x daily. Thought I could get through radical hysterectomy without HRT and suffered 8 months with minor symptoms as hot flashes, but most significant was major depression. Mental chemistry balances out within 30/60 minutes of Divigel application. To date not noticing any side effects."

LisaRenee (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2018

For Gender Dysphoria: "Estrogen It's the bestrogen Makes grow of breastrogen But seriously, I can't recommend estradiol enough. I've been taking it sublingually for around 4 months now (2mg daily for the first 3 months, increased to 4mg last month) and I feel like an entirely different person. My skin feels so much softer (even though it's still just as dry >:( ), and I've noticed a fair bit of breast growth (they look a bit bigger but feel much different due to an increased amount of tissue), as well as more fat on my face. The one downside is the mood effects; my emotional lows are pretty low. Luckily my highs are much higher than they ever were before. I'd recommend any trans woman get on estradiol ASAP (provided they're not on it already haha)"

jessnotjesse (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2018