User Reviews for Estradiol

Also known as: Estrace, Estradiol Patch, Estrogel, Vivelle-Dot, Climara, Dotti, Divigel, Femring, Delestrogen, Evamist, Depo-Estradiol, Minivelle, Estraderm, Alora Lyllana Menostar Elestrin Estra Pellets …show all brand names

Estradiol has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 475 ratings on Drugs.com. 47% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 38% reported a negative experience.

Postmenopausal Symptoms
Prostate Cancer
Summary of Estradiol reviews 5.8 475 reviews

Reviews for Estradiol

loribean · February 19, 2016

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “this medication saved my life...I actually like the mylan better than the vivelle as far as the way I feel, the vivelle caused sinus problems and gassy bloat, the mylan product did not for me, however the mylan product doesn't stick as well or last as long....OVERALL: I love estrogen replacement and it is a TRAGEDY that women are suffering and their docs are not offering HRT when it is now proven that HRT prolongs life and has a protective influence on heart, bones and brain. I want to tell every woman out there do not be a hero, do not suffer, and do not be afraid. estrogen is good for you and can give you your life back. why do none of the women I talk to know this? crime!!”

Anonymous · June 6, 2014

Estrace (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Love it, no hot flashes or mood changes and feel like having sex again. Breasts have enlarged but are not painful. Taking 1 mg tablets, hope I never have to give up my wonder pill. Have been taking it for years and I am 70 years old.”

Khatgirl · Taken for 2 to 5 years · June 7, 2020

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I've been using these patches for several years now. They work much better than the pills did. Once in a great while I would have one unstick a day or 2 early, so I would just replace it with the next one in the box. But due to the pandemic, I got a 3 month supply, and they are drastically not sticking (even after 4 days), and I am short 2 weeks before my insurance is willing to refill my script again. And my last one completely fell off this morning! Mylan needs to get a better adhesive for these. (I would give the drug a 10 rating if it stayed on)”

Rosie B · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 3, 2021

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Primary Ovarian Failure: “I’m 60 and had my ovaries removed 11 months ago. So for 5 months I have been using a new bio identical biest estriol & estradiol prescription along with progesterone gel. My hot flashes were bad, my vaginal irritation was unbearable. I Changed to estradiol gel and progesterone gel. My Hot flashes got so severe and vaginal irritation was so unbearable. I Finally decided to try the estradiol 0.075 patch changing 2 times a week. In just 2 days saw incredible improvement in hot flashes, mood energy, motivation, emotional mood. It gave me relief from all my symptoms. The brand I was given is manufactured by Mylan, which was given absolutely horrible low reviews. I was scared it wasn’t going to work for me, but decided to try it anyway because I was so very miserable. Can’t tell you how much relief I am feeling being in the patch and taking the progesterone micronized 100 mg pill. It’s been a lifesaver for me.”

Donna · Taken for less than 1 month · August 5, 2020

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “The Sandoz brand estradiol patch is absolute garbage. It stops working for me after about 6-8 hours, and it's supposed to last 7 days. My gyn told me to prep skin with acetone ( !!! ) and to dry skin with hair dryer then apply patch and hold 10 seconds. Women deserve better than this rubbish - in all forms, from having to apply acetone to skin, to patches that don't live up to what they're supposed to do.”

Ray · August 22, 2020

Divigel (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I have used Divigel for many years and am now in my 70's. I am in good condition for my age. I am active taking care of my house and yard, feeling good and sleeping well. My new NP gynecologist says I have to go off the Divigel because I am on Eliquis for AFib and the two are at odds with each other. No other dr has mentioned this. I do not agree with this recommendation and am looking for a new doctor. The dr who prescribed Divigel is retiring. I don't mind taking a lower dose but when everything is doing well WHY do I stop the med that saved my life? I'm mad and I'm not going to take it. Just because you are in your 70's does not mean you should dry up and die. I think that the NP was mad that I looked so good for my age...she was in 60's. So that is my story for now....Divigel has saved my life after a hysterectomy in my 40's with ovaries remaining. I had menstrual problems all of my life until the surgery and subsequent Divigel HRT therapy.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 23, 2022

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I absolutely can't stand the mylan brand estradiol patch. For 3 years I have been using the Sandoz brand and loved it. No issues. In January when I picked my patches up I realized the brand was different..ok no big deal is whatI told my self. A patch is a patch right? Well it makes a difference. The mylan comes off in 2-3 days and I am having to use tegaderm to keep it on. Then the awful rash that is still on my skin after being off for 4 weeks now. I have searched high and low for Sandoz and NO ONE carries anymore. What is a person to do?”

Dish79 · January 29, 2014

Climara (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Insomnia, night sweats, moody, uncontrollable crying in the bosses office! I tried so hard and so long to do nothing and let it runs it's natural course. If I didn't work and could take naps, I'd still suffer and deal with it. Not the case. Have to be on my toes at work. Quality of life was bad. Climara saved my life. It was a tough decision but I tell you, it works. I feel human again!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month · September 9, 2020

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Used Sandoz brand for the first 8 estradiol patches. No problem. Pharmacy switched to Mylan, a horrible experience. I use twice a week. After the first 2 days, it starts to itch and turn red. Burning sensation by day 3 and its hard to remove and leaves deep red burn marks and continues to itch for a week. Marks remain on my body for over a month now. Not recommended!”

Momma can cook · Taken for 5 to 10 years · March 13, 2017

Vivelle-Dot (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I experienced an extreme menopause at 50: hot flashes, crying, brain fog, night sweats for 4 years. My female GYN would not prescribe HRT. My family committed me to a mental institution. I refused to take psych drugs. Afterward I followed up with a neuro-psychologist who agreed to have my primary care Dr. prescribe Vivelle.dot. Increasing it to 1.0 relieved me of all those horrible symptoms! I have used it for 5 years along with generic (TEV) premarin. A book which saved my life (besides THE BIBLE) is "OUTLIVING YOUR OVARIES" by Dr. Marina Johnson. She rescues women in menopause and men in andropause through hormone replacement therapy! I gave copies to several doctors and stressed to them the NEED for classes on menopause!”

Tiger · Taken for 2 to 5 years · December 23, 2020

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I was put on the minivelle patch several years ago. It worked great. A year ago my pharmacy changed to this estradiol patch made by Mylan. I didn't notice until I used it. The patch does not stay on, but the worst part is what it does to my skin. I have horrid red patches that hurt and itch. And, they do not go away. Now I am having trouble finding a place to place the patch because I am covered in the scars from using this brand. I use CVS pharmacy. they told me they cannot get the patch which is why they switched to Mylan. I am contacting Noven to see what is going on. I see my doctor next month. I cannot continue using this product. It is horrible.”

Donna · Taken for less than 1 month · September 27, 2020

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Following up to my August 5, 2020 review of the Sandoz patch. My gyn switched me to a twice weekly patch - Mylan. This brand is worse than Sandoz. I applied a patch Friday night, and by Saturday evening I was sweating profusely. This is the second week on the Mylan patches. Again, women deserve better than being Guinea pigs for cheap drug companies.”

FLKat · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 24, 2013

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Estradiol oral 5mg is the best decision I could have made. It was with much consideration due to all the bad press for hormone replacement in the past decade. I work full time, have a home and a life, I had to find something, nothing "natural or organic" was working. I started suffering night sweats 5 years ago, daytime hot flashes began 3 years ago. I was not sleeping through the night, tossing off the covers then putting them back on. I was exhausted, moody, and snarky. Within a month of starting Estradiol, I was sleeping soundly, the hot flashes were manageable, and not nearly as frequent. I'll use it for a year as prescribed and then take guidance from my doctor, but I truly am a new person.”

Mert · Taken for 10 years or more · January 22, 2020

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I’ve used lots of different patches over the years. My favorites have been the Vivelle Dot and the Sandoz patch. The Mylan estradiol patch is worthless - you’re supposed to wear it a week, but it only stays on lasts a day or two, it smells, and it causes skin irritation. Unfortunately, it’s the only one that I know that my insurance will pay for. I’ve been using Sandoz, but have to pay $65 a month for it. Does anybody have a suggestion on a patch estrogen that Priority Health pays for?”

Thought I was going crazy · November 8, 2020

Vivelle-Dot (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I would not recommend generic estradiol patch by mylan, it is total waste of money. I was given Vivelle dot after surgery. It worked great, the brain fog & the mood swings disappeared, I could tolerate myself & my family. My husband & kids would tell me, I seemed happier. I really felt like a brand new person. Over the years the cost even with insurance just gradually going up & now my insurance doesn't pay at all. So the pharmacy switched me to (mylan) the generic. This patch wouldn't stay on for more than a couple of hours before having to tape it on. The feelings of being on edge, anxiety, mood swings, anger, fatigue & hot flashes were unbearable. Vivelle dot by Novartis is the only one I have found that I can take. I'm now having to have my Dr put brand name only so the pharmacy will fill it & I have to pay out of pocket for them at 206$ a box. The pharmacist keep trying to switch me back to generic, I keep telling them it's like throwing money away if it doesn't work.”

Hrm2 · Taken for less than 1 month · August 23, 2019

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Absolutely AWFUL!! I have been prescribed Estradiol Patches made by Sandoz and I am supposed to keep it on for a week. I maxed out at 6 1/2 HOURS ....they are truly worse than generic cartoon Band-Aids that are overpriced & don't stick! How in the world did these ever pass quality control from the FDA?!?! A total rip-off!! I clean with alcohol, let air dry, used tape and they still come off. ANY amount of perspiration will make them bubble right off. Sorry, but we all perspire EVERY SINGLE DAY! How was that little tidbit overlooked?”

doodlebuggi · April 19, 2021

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Sandoz patch... I don't find it effective AT ALL. If I use the whole patch it's like someone gave me speed for about 4-5 hours it had a super racy heart, super wound up, then.. nothing. The speedy feeling has made me remove the patch. Cut the 0.5 patch in half. Doesn't feel like it's doing anything particularly? WHY DOES THE US NOT SELL ESTRADOT? It is MADE IN THE US! Oh, and what is it with the PERMANENT red marks????? Take a patch off and there's a red mark that is taking weeks and weeks to go way (if it does at all). It's like it's been tattooed to my skin. In 18 months of estradot NEVER had that problem. Never had a sticking problem. Or a tolerance problem, just an acquiring problem - which again, is completely idiotic.. the boxes I got were labeled right on them "made in the USA" but they're SOLD in Australia. Why can't I get a US made medication IN the actual US??????? And why does it cost me a third to buy it elsewhere than any of these US acquirable patches cost?????”

popatya · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 22, 2013

Estradot 50 (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I started this medication and within 2 weeks my life changed, just feel so good, feel like 13 again, no hot flashes, my appetite returned back, my hair texture feels good, it's all good, heaven sent, amazing, highly recommend, just worried about long term use.”

Jay · October 14, 2020

Climara (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “First of all I think I live in a lucky Country Australia and only pay $22 for 1 month supply and that’s without insurance. I found clear adhesive surgical patches and whack em over the top and it does the job. Mine stays on all week. I do find by day 5 and 6 it’s wearing off, I’m an emotional wreck. I’m on 50 so might have to change it by day 4 or get a higher dose. Only been on the patches 8 weeks and if I don’t get this dosage right I might end up doing time lol.. All I know is in my next life I want to come back as a man!”

mommamia45 · December 5, 2014

For Postmenopausal Symptoms: “A life saver! I was crying all the time, hot flashes, insomnia, night sweats. Everything blissfully went away pretty quickly after I started taking 0.5 dose in pill form. At first I noticed a bit of breast tenderness and headaches but after a week or two they were gone. My breasts have filled out a bit which is a bonus! My only regret is that I didn't start this 5 years ago instead of suffering through it. Wonderful stuff!”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more · October 5, 2019

Estradiol Patch (estradiol): “TEGADERM !!! - won’t help with Mylan generic because patch is horrible- worthless. Forever, I’ve had hormonal headaches. No headaches for 10 years while on estrogen patch. Headaches were back almost immediately after applying the junk Mylan patch. Sandoz generic seems to work ok. TRICK!!! I learned as hospital nurse. uses Tegaderm (clear/transparent film patches). Clean skin with alcohol and then rinse with warm water and dry, warm and dry skin slightly with blow dryer. Apply your patch and hold for 10-15 seconds. Then apply tegaderm patch over your estrogen patch. Amazon has all sizes and cheap. So worth it. It keeps your patch secure. My jeans don’t rub it off and swimming or bathtubs no problem. (submerged in hot water/jacuzzi does increase estrogen delivery with patch and it may not last as long - so I’ve been told).”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month · May 11, 2020

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “I just started using the Mylan Estradiol patch after using the gel. I wanted to try something more user friendly than the gel though the gel worked well. I have had the same terrible skin reactions to the patch as I’ve seen commented on this site. I called Mylan to file a product complaint and plan to do so with the FDA as well. I will ask my doctor to write for another type of patch.”

Happy Hormones · Taken for 2 to 5 years · April 2, 2013

Vivelle-Dot (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Was on Vivelle 0.05 plus Prometrium for 4.5 years; felt great. Stopped for 1 year because I worried that being on HRT for 14 years (Prempro for 10 yrs.) total was risky & maybe I was now "beyond" the hot flashes, etc. Well...I felt lousy the entire time I was without HRT (1 year)..hot flashes, sleepless nights, brain fog, etc. Now I'm back on Vivelle Dot & Prometrium...feeling so much better! I don't think I'll ever give up this. Plus the estrogen helps my osteoporosis & vaginal dryness.”

Shaz · Taken for less than 1 month · August 15, 2021

Estraderm (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Absolutely awful. This patch comes off after 24hrs and it’s meant to stay on for 3 days! I’ve had different brands of patches and they’ve been great. How this made it to the market I don’t know”

CindiLou · Taken for 1 to 2 years · August 19, 2020

Estradiol Patch (estradiol) for Postmenopausal Symptoms: “Sandoz Estradiol Patch does not stick. It does not peel, instead the entire patch comes loose at once. I get 2 days, maybe 3 days out of a patch. Do not accept Sandoz brand from your pharmacy, you will be wasting your money.”