User Reviews for Oxybutynin

Also known as: Ditropan, Ditropan XL, Oxytrol, Gelnique, Oxytrol for Women, Urotrol

Hyperhidrosis

Dysuria

Summary of Oxybutynin reviews 6.6 292 reviews

Reviews for Oxybutynin

TXBluebonnet · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 4, 2019

For Overactive Bladder: "I've been on Oxybutynin for about 3 months. The first thing I noticed I was gaining weight for no reason. I seemed to be swollen and just generally miserable. Gradually I started having back pain. Now It's been 3 months and my back pain is so bad it's debilitating. I've never experienced any kind of back pain like this before with an infection or taking a medication. I'm getting off this Oxybutynin ASAP and hoping these horrible side effects will go away quickly."

Angi · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 3, 2019

For Hyperhidrosis: "I have hyperhidrosis and started oxybutynin. It has literally gave me back my life! I wasn’t even able to go to the grocery store I’m the middle of winter without my head and hair being drenched in sweat!! I only wore a light sweater over a tank top!! It’s summer now and I can go outside with my grandson and daughter without passing out from sweat. I’m so thankful I was put on this medication!!"

Now sleeping · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 28, 2019

For Overactive Bladder: "I started taking oxybutynin a year-and-a-half ago. I was constantly getting up every hour all night long and getting very little sleep. I am now able to sleep 4 to 5 hours and not have to run the minute I wake up into the bathroom. It has been such a relief. The lack of sleep has been going on for 4 years and was just getting worse. Yes I do get a little bit of dry mouth, but some of my other medications have that same side effect so I just use Biotene to solve that problem. I wish I had known for years ago about this drug. Mine is a prescription in New York state and it is covered by Medicare and is very reasonable."

Bw4964 · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2019

For Overactive Bladder: "I've been on the oxybutynin for 6 days now for and overactive bladder. A year and a half ago (11/17) I broke my pelvis in 2 places and my sacrum. In the beginning I was unable to void on my own and they prescribed me with flomax which helped but it made me so dizzy, I stopped taking it. Fast forward to 2019 and my bladder spasms & urgency were increasing and making it really uncomfortable. So after a UDS my doctor decided to try me on oxybutynin. While it seems to help the spasms it seems to make it harder to be able to start voiding. Like it relaxes it almost to much, when I try harder to void it just leads to a spasm. That and the dry mouth, dry throat, dry eyes and sinuses are really uncomfortable. Feeling like I need to constantly clear my throat is for the birds. I'm certainly going to take myself off of it. These side effects just aren't worth it."

ICL · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2019

For Overactive Bladder: "The cure is worse than the disease. I had every adverse reaction."

Anonymous June 15, 2019

For Overactive Bladder: "Too many side effects."

Mike · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2019

For Urinary Incontinence: "I had Bladder surgery at the Tampa VA is as an outpatient basis (you go home with a Foley Catheter) I was given oxybutynin before and after surgery. On the drive home my mouth was so dry I could not talk.....almost went back to the hospital. Drank a lot of cranberry juice later that day and it seemed to initiate salivation again........"

Jim · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2019

For Hyperhidrosis: "I'm on oxybutynin for my sweating problem and what little change in my sweating habits, has not been even closely worth the side effects. I’m sitting here writing this message with the sorest throat I’ve ever had, and not being able to hardly speak. The only problem is the reason why I am taking this medication is for overactive sweating - I do public speaking. Now , I’m not sweaty anymore..but I can’t actually do my job. I have a hoarse voice and painful to speak and swallow. Give me the sweating back over this any day . My next thing to try will be propranolol ....."

Reno David · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 15, 2019

For Overactive Bladder: "I am asking my doctor to find me another medication. Oxybutynin makes my entire mouth so dry that my lips will stick to my teeth or gums. My tongue feels like the Sahara Desert. I am refusing to take."

Linda · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2019

For Overactive Bladder: "I started oxybutynin 5mg 3 times a day two months ago for bladder control due to MS. Previously I had been on Tolterodine, but when I went on Medicare they did not want to cover it at first. However, I got an exception to use it, but still decided to try Oxybutynin because it cost $2 compared to $163 a month for the Tolterodine. The Oxybutynin does help with frequency of needing to urinate, however, the side effects I experienced have made me decide to go "cold turkey" for awhile and see how I get along. I had dry mouth, dry skin and unusually dry and cracked fingertips, gas, loose bowels, heartburn, bloating and burping. Additionally, when I did have to urinate, I had a hard time getting started and making sure my bladder was empty. That could be a combination of MS symptoms and drug side effects, but I did not have that feeling on Tolterodine."

Alla March 20, 2019

For Overactive Bladder: "Oxybutynin has helped a lot with stopping me needing use bathroom as much. But I have severe dry mouth and throat, my voice has become raspy even. Has that happened to anyone else taking this - having a raspy voice. Not sure if it's due to the very dry mouth and throat. I've been taking this medication for almost a year now."

Mona · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2019

For Overactive Bladder: "I have been taking 5mg oxybutynin twice a day for about a month now for my overactive bladder. I’m 55. I have sporadic stomach pain, bloating, dry mouth, dry eyes. I’m concerned about the stomach pain and wonder if I should stop taking the medicine. It has helped me going from 6 trips to the bathroom to about 3. Any feedback about my stomach pain is appreciated."

Bob-O · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 15, 2019

Ditropan (oxybutynin) for Urinary Incontinence: "After my prostate was removed, I had constant "dribbling" problems and had to wear an adult diaper. After 1 month the ditropan stopped the dribbling but I do have a bit of a problem initiating a flow, especially when my bladder is not full."

Gabby · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2019

Oxytrol for Women (oxybutynin) for Overactive Bladder: "I tried Oxytrol for women and it didn’t do anything. At least I didn’t have any side effects! I used all the patches in the box. I would really be nice to find something that works. I tried Detrol too."

LeakyGirl March 2, 2019

Oxytrol (oxybutynin) for Overactive Bladder: "I have been using the patch for about 3 years now. I have issues sometimes with the patch not sticking. If I clean my skin well with alcohol first that helps. On occasion, I use medical tape around the edges. Overall, it sticks fine. I switch between hips. For me, that is the best area. I do on occasion experience and itchy redness but the patch is still worth the minor occasional discomfort. I find this happens if any water gets under the patch. I had urinary urgency to go to the point I do a pee pee dance. The patch has resolved this issue and I no longer have accidents. If I get a cold or flu, I pee a ton when I sneeze. This is when I have to have a pad or a pull-up. Still, for every day, not sick times, the patch has improved my quality of life. I started using the patch at 46. I am 49 now. I did notice if I take an antihistamine for allergies I have to be careful how much I take. The antihistamine seems to weaken the effect of the patch."

Dalmeny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 23, 2019

Oxytrol (oxybutynin) for Urinary Incontinence: "Whilst my problem is not major I did have issues with the patch staying on and the sticky black residue when I took it off. The patch would only stay on for about 24 hours. I haven't had any side effects. I found a solution for the patches coming off etc. - use an alcohol wipe to clean the skin, leave the skin to dry then put the patch on, then cover it with a patch of Elastoplast Elastowrap (or similar) bigger that the actual patch (about the size of the Oxytrol packaging) - I cut mine from the roll and make sure you cut the corners to make a curve. I when my patch is due to come off I take my patch off whilst in the shower with the water spraying on the area as this reduces the redness left by the patch. I found this out by trial and error, and hope this helps you."

Anonymous February 22, 2019

For Hyperhidrosis: "I've suffered with focal sweating on head and face since the age of 14. Got considerably worse during the menopause. This medication has completely stopped it!!! ! I can't believe I didn't go to my gp before now. I used to think it was just me and it's just something you get used to. But don't suffer in silence. This drug really really works and has changed my life. Thank you science!"

Dins · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 22, 2019

Ditropan (oxybutynin) for Urinary Incontinence: "Was on them for almost 3 years. I had had my gall bladder removed 2 months beforehand. I then started taking Ditropan and got dry mouth, dry nose. I then started getting spasmodic stomach pains, nausea, occasional sickness, bloating and constipation. At its worst I had two admissions to hospital by ambulance and was put on a morphine drip. I saw my GP, I was referred to gastroenterologist and then on to a specialist. I had a scan, MRI scan and endoscopy as the medical “experts” thought it was gall bladder debris. Each time I asked if it could be any of the medication I was taking. Answer : No. I was concerned that this drug could be linked with dementia. Reading up on the side effects all my symptoms I was experiencing were exactly the same as listed. Since coming off these tablets the symptoms have stopped and I’ve taken great pleasure in informing the medics of the cessation of these symptoms."

Shay · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2019

Ditropan (oxybutynin) for Dysuria: "This drug ruined my life. I was on a five day course of 15 mg. An hour later after taking this medication, I experienced an unusual taste in the mouth (metallic/bitter), foods tasted distorted, (phantageusia) and now my tongue burns. I stopped taking the medication right after these side effects and here I am now with lingering side effects since April 2018. These doctors never go into the side effects in depth but only the common side effects. After telling my doctor about thus side effect, he acted like I was crazy. Never thought something like this could happen"

Non Agoriphobic · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 19, 2018

For Hyperhidrosis: "I began taking oxybitinin/Teva around June 2017 after suffering severe hyperhidrosis for nine years from methadone use. Prior to beginning oxybutynin, I was so embarrased about my hyperhidrosis that I found myself working outdoor solitary jobs (if working at all), shopping at odd hours, avoiding restaurants, malls, farmers markets, parties, etc. My life was incredibly restricted. Ten milligrams a day of Oxybutynin has, quite literally, given me my life back. The only penalty I pay is slight dry mouth on occasion. Do not be afraid to suggest this med to your doctor. Most are unaware of its use for this issue."

detour12 · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2018

For Dysuria: "I had to stop taken this medication because of the side effects that I had. I had flu like symptoms nervous anxiety depression sleepy during the day. It did help my symptoms a little but had to stop taken and was only on the medication for less then 1 week."

BPanda · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 1, 2018

For Overactive Bladder: "58 to male. I suffered bouts of Overactive bladder on and off over a couple of years, sought urologist review when couldn't sleep after night shift due to constant urge to void. Drinking any less than 2L/day of water made things worse. Oxybutinin 5mg BD relieved symptoms but full blood workup indicated grossly raised TSH levels. There's some evidence night duty can cause autoimmune disorders. Prescribed levothyroxine and 6 weeks later no symptoms and oxy ceased. Get a full set of bloods done as sometimes bladder irritability can be a symptom and not a diagnosis."

Lindy · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2018

Oxytrol (oxybutynin) for Overactive Bladder: "Reduced number of bathroom trips"

GD · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 15, 2018

Oxytrol (oxybutynin) for Overactive Bladder: "I'm a 60 year old male experience Urinary Stress urgency really bad. I know Oxytrol says only for women, but I needed some relief. I have gotten this med approved with my doctors full approval. I have been on the patches now for just over a month and they work swell. I change the patch every 4 days and the medication seems to last me the full 4 days. I wear the patch below my belly button down in my pubic area which I keep shaved. It works well there. Stays on nicely."

Monica · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 11, 2018

For Overactive Bladder: "So-so. Decreases frequency from once per hour to once every 2 hours - nothing miraculous. You have to take a pill 3 times per day. That's not convenient and I usually forget the second and third doses. No side effects though."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)