User Reviews for Oxybutynin

Also known as: Ditropan XL, Oxytrol, Gelnique Oxytrol for Women

Oxybutynin has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 378 ratings on Drugs.com. 55% of those users who reviewed Oxybutynin reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Urinary Frequency
Prostatitis  Off-label
Summary of Oxybutynin reviews 6.7 378 reviews

Reviews for Oxybutynin

Swettybear April 21, 2021

For Hyperhidrosis: “Since starting Oxybutynin I want to cry most days - cry tears of joy - I place my normally constantly sweating hands on things it would normally come away leaving puddle to find nothing, I can dry my hair without needing to put my fan on or wipe my armpits, face or hands dry afterwards. It's the miracle I have been looking for ever since I began sweating at puberty, warm weather, cold weather, any kind of excursion anything absolutely anything would set it off (I am now a 32). I can finally wear t'shirts!!!! And tops that are not black, And jackets that are not black. Honestly almost crying typing this, totally over the moon. I started on 2.5mg twice a day but have just upped to 5mg twice daily, hopefully that will stop the sweating I still get on my back and feet, I am very confident the upping to 10mg a day will do the job. Incredible, all I want to do is shout about it from the rooftops :) :) :). I can sit in the cold - NOT sweating .. an absolute novelty. Amazing.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more April 8, 2021

Ditropan XL (oxybutynin) for Urinary Frequency: “Been on this medication for almost 20 years and it works well for me. Dry mouth at times, but need to drink more water anyways.”

JD · Taken for less than 1 month April 1, 2021

For Urinary Frequency: “I had bladder prolapse surgery .Since then I have had no urge to urinate , it just flows out when I stand up ,oxybutynin makes it worse. The Dr. wants to put a sling in Not sure if that will help. I have heard such bad reports about the sling”

maro111 July 29, 2020

For Hyperhidrosis: “Thank you so much to everyone who left a review for Oxybutynin for Hyperhidrosis. I have suffered from this awful condition for 20 years and never thought I would be free from it. The sweating has contributed, over the years, to me having panic attacks, developing OCD and left me on 3 different medications including an antipsychotic, a class c drug and an antidepressant. I have had numerous blood tests (checking Thyroid etc) and in the end the doctor put the sweating down to panic attacks. I read the reviews on here and asked my GP to prescribe Oxybutynin to see if it would work. From the first dose I noticed an improvement. I am on my 5th dose and the different in unbelievable. The sweating is all but gone. In normal conditions I don't sweat. When I am exercising I only sweat a little. I am so thankful for this medication and your reviews. Hyperhidrosis is a terrible condition that can ruin peoples lives and needs to be taken more seriously by medics. Thank you all!”

FinallyDry March 6, 2021

For Hyperhidrosis: “I am a 38 year old female & had suffered from excessive facial & underarm sweating since I was a teenager. I had tried everything imaginable to reduce sweating. The littlest bit of exertion & I'd be dripping in sweat, no matter the temperature. I couldn't even do simple things like get dressed/ready in the morning or go to the grocery store without dripping in sweat. People would constantly ask me if I was ok, thinking I was sick. I'd then sweat more just from worrying/being embarrassed about the sweating. I asked my doctor to try this medication due to everyone's reviews on here. He started me with 2.5mg 2x a day for 2 weeks. I didn't see any change and thought the same as I always do- nothing will help me. My doctor then raised the dose to 5mg 2x a day and I noticed a change that next day- I had gotten out of the shower, dressed, and blow-dryed my hair without a drip of sweat! I finally have my life back! I only hope that this review will help someone get help sooner than I did!”

Ellie · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2020

For Hyperhidrosis: “I am a 53 years old w/profuse sweating of the head, neck and chest area. Started the oxybutynin medication 3 days ago 5 mg twice a day and I have stopped sweating completely. What an amazing drug only side effect is dry mouth so far. 3 days and I am dry. I am so happy I could cry. I have my life back.”

Alexanderthegr88 May 14, 2020

For Hyperhidrosis: “I suffered from nervous sweats, and also found out that when I worked out I would sweat way more than others, I know we have different sweat glands and levels of sweating but I would always be drenched and it seem a little to excessive. The nervous sweats would happen at what I would say times you would not like it to happen e.g. dinner parties, meeting new people. The annoying thing is that I'm not a nervous person in fact quite sociable it was like my body had a different reaction (sweating) to how I was actually feeling (confident, sociable, fine!) Since I've taken the medication its been a great success -no nervous sweats etc. even when I exercise my clothing isn't drenched, just what think it should look like in comparison to other people.I did have a very minor headache the first day I took the tablets but can't say it was due to the medication I've not experienced any other side effects but I hope this post is helpful to anyone that had been struggling.”

T · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2020

For Hyperhidrosis: “I also have been a terrible sweater, for years now my would sweat on my back, chest, face, even stomach. It was starting to effect my personal life as I was so hesitant just to hug people. I would always wear a fitted tank top to help from showing thru on my clothes. I always wore black just to hide it. I asked my PCP about this medication and as soon as I took it the next day 100% of a difference! Yes, the side affects are dry mouth and I notice my face seems to be on the drier side but I will take that ANY day over the sweating. I can’t wait until summer when I am out in the sun, that will be the real test, but so for I am so happy.”

Tono · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2021

For Hyperhidrosis: “I have been on oxybutynin for about a week now for hyperhydrosis. This medication has been the miracle I have been looking for. All of my sweating has stopped! The only side effect I am experiencing is a dry mouth which is a small price to pay for in exchange for stopping the sweating. This medication has changed my life! I would give a 10 pout of 10. Ask your doctor about it and good luck to everyone”

Toots · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2021

For Hyperhidrosis: “Have had excessive sweating since puberty. Any change in outside temp on skin; exertion; stress ; etc. brings on large drop sweating thru out my hair, face and neck so bad that I look like I just came out of a shower w/ my clothes on except that the drops just keep on dropping. My Hyperhydrosis stems from: Thyroid Disease, Lupus, Type II Diabetes, hi-dose Prednisone, Fibromyalgia, Stenosis, severe Psyatica and extreme pain to name just a few of my ailments...But I live with these things - they're manageable. But the Sweating is horrendous. People kept asking me If I needed help cause I look like I'm having a heart attack. My Endo put me on Oxybutynin 5mg/2 day 3 wks ago and for the last 3 weeks I barely sweat. Now instead of sweating I'm crying tears of joy! Yes my side effects include dry mouth, skin, & eyes; dizziness; weakness; sleepiness; but all these are manageable. I can go out in public again! Get out amongst the living so to speak! Get Dry..Get Happy. Good Luck.”

Tommy · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2020

For Hyperhidrosis: “I've had hyperhidrosis for about 8 months. It's been gradually getting worse and worse. Btw, I'm 42 years old. The slightest heat like in a car or the slightest exertion even in the cold I am drenched in sweat on my chest, back head and groin. I started oxybutynin about 5 days ago. It seems to be working some what but definitely not a total fix. I am highly tolerant to medications. Possibly I need a little bit more than 5mg. Anyway hopefully it gradually gets better. Thanks for letting me share!”

Mduke · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2020

For Hyperhidrosis: “I was experiencing massive side effects of hyperhydrosis being on of 85 mg of methadone. I was prescribed 5mg oxybutynin 2 times a day and the 1st day all my symptoms of hyperhydrosis were completely gone. The only side effect I have experienced was dry mouth and now I'm about 40 days on it and its subsided quite a bit. It has been a wonder drug for me. Im very happy with it”

alohasweaty · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 6, 2017

For Hyperhidrosis: “I suffer from cranial-facial hyperhidrosis. It is really bad, to the point it can look like I have sweat soaked hair and face. It's the worst indoors when I am shopping, walking around, work meetings, etc. Seriously, the most embarrassing and socially debilitating issue I have every experienced. I have gone to the dermatologist for Botox injections in my scalp several times and it works a little bit, but nothing great. After doing research, I decided I needed to try an oral medication. I am glad I did, Oxybutynin works really well for me, I am so happy. I usually need 5mg 3x daily to get through the day. I get dry mouth pretty bad, but gum or lozenge gets me through that problem pretty well.”

Ineedadoctor · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 10, 2019

For Urinary Frequency: “Was put on oxybutynin for a 'short term solution' for urinary frequency. It took about 6 weeks to kick in which is ridiculously long but my goodness, when it did, it was a miracle! Was able to get a full night's sleep again, could go out and not worry about making sure there's a toilet nearby and best of all, I went from having bladder infections every 3-4 weeks to then only having one for the entire 6 months I was on the medication! Now here's the catch.. There's a component in this medication that's called anticholinergic which is found in antidepressants, epilepsy tablets, etc. My major side effect was that I had fallen into a deep depression, got help but nothing worked. Then I realised, it must be these tablets. So I took a risk and stopped them. Since then, I am my happy fun old self (but with an OAB...). So moral of my story is, please do look out for psychological side effects as well as your physical ones, it could save your life!”

AdamBoer October 29, 2020

For Hyperhidrosis: “What a difference oxybutynin has made to my quality of life, I started developing symptoms of cranium (facial) hyperhydrosis (sweating) around 10 years ago in school, I would sit there in class and start to panic that I might suddenly burst out sweating. This continued for the next 10 years and made social situations really awkward and my anxiety grew with this. I would turn to alcohol as much as possible to try and remain calm, as I just knew the slightest trigger would set me off. This disease has had such a negative impact on my life and I took it upon myself 12 months ago to do everything I could to get some relief. I started with the Driclor and then even had botox, none of which worked. I finally found Oxybutynin for sweating through this forum and got prescribed it from the doc. What a difference to my life it has made and the sweating has almost completely stopped. Highly recommend this drug to anyone that suffers from this disease and the dry mouth subsides after a few weeks.”

Kay · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2019

For Hyperhidrosis: “I’m a 19 year old female and I’ve had Hyperhidrosis since I can remember, it’s severely impacted my self esteem and quality of life. I’m not going to go on about how awful it was because if you have Hyperhidrosis you know exactly what I was feeling and the struggles I would go through just to complete day to day tasks. I’m writing this review because I swore if I ever found something that worked I’d spread the word, from reading other reviews on here it’s clear this medication doesn’t work for everyone but I’d just like to say it’s definitely worth a shot. I’ve only been on oxybutynin for a little over a week now and knock on wood but I haven't sweat in 4 days at all. I’m still in disbelief, I’m so thrilled I have my life back. Would 100% recommend. I do have dry mouth and eyes but oh wow what a small price to pay.”

Pixie-McGee · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 7, 2020

For Hyperhidrosis: “I've been on Methadone maintenance for 5 years. Shortly after starting quickly realized it was making me sweat profusely on my face and neck. The sweating would start if I exerted myself any amount or was in the smallest amount of heat. I read about methadone induced hyperhidrosis. And I tried the vitamins and other treatments. Nothing worked. ever. One day I came across a study that found Oxybutynin had a dramatic effect on some people's hyperhidrosis. So I said why not try it. I was absolutely shocked on the first day. I use the patches and a few hours after applying I was not sweating and I realized it while out in the heat of summer. I was so happy. I've been using them now for 2 years and I'll never stop. You can buy the patches at Walmart, RiteAid or on Amazon. The patches are Oxytrol. They stay on for 3 to 5 days.”

Jonathan E. · Taken for less than 1 month October 6, 2019

For Hyperhidrosis: “At 35 I have suffered my whole life with palmer, plantar and axillary sweating. Causing social anxiety from teasing, depression and ultimately turned me into a shut in. I didn't date as a teen or even in my 20's because I couldn't hold hands. I recently begged my doctor to do the surgery and then he casually mentions this medication. At first I was furious that all of the doctors I have had over the years have known about my issue and no one ever offered a prescription option. After starting it and having pretty good success I am still torn between anger and just extreme burden relief. Maybe I can try to make friends now because everyone knows making friends as an adult is easy. I feel like people should talk about this more because apparently it's pretty common. And maybe stop this before all of the emotional damage.”

Em · Taken for 10 years or more September 2, 2020

For Hyperhidrosis: “I was diagnosed with Hyperhidrosis about 20 years ago and tried everything they had available at the time to get it under control. Nothing worked well enough to off set the side effects I was having so I waited until I was 14 to have a Sympathectomy. That worked pretty well on my hands and feet but really only pushed the sweating to my stomach, back, and thighs. At the time oxybutynin was never used for sweat but I was willing to try anything my doctor suggested. It worked surprisingly well and I am still taking it 15 years later. I recommend it to everyone who will listen.”

Lenchik · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2020

For Urinary Frequency: “After three weeks of taking it I’ve had every side effect that was listed on this medicine and no improvement at all. But the worst thing that happened was it ruined my eyes forever. Because it dried out everything in my body, 60% of my tear glands are damaged and there is no treatment for it. A blurry vision is listed as a side effect, but I have a pixilated vision from time to time and have a severe dry eye syndrome. Have to use moisturizing drops every 15-20 minutes now . I stopped taking it and would not recommend it to anyone.”

MzDemeanor · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2020

Oxytrol (oxybutynin) for Urinary Incontinence: “I'm so pleased with this product. Day one and no leakage. I feel normal again and like it's safe to date again at 53. Pads etc don't come even close to feeling like a safe solution. My panties are dry and smell fresh. What a relief.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2020

For Hyperhidrosis: “I have been on oxybutynin for a couple weeks now and the results have changed my life!!! I no longer have any excessive sweating I can wear any color shirt I want!!! I wanted to share how amazing this medication has worked for me because I struggled with hyperhidrosis for 24 years and now I've found something that actually works... I do get a bit of dry mouth but it's worth it not to be constantly sweating!!!”

Truth August 27, 2019

For Hyperhidrosis: “It all began in 6th grade. My feet, underarms and hands would sweat profusely. I had to put folded up paper or cloths under my palm when writing otherwise my paper was soaked. My armpits would sweat to my waist! Late teens the back of my legs and knees would sweat and soak through on chairs. In my mid 30's my crouch area would soak through my clothes. I couldn't wear sandles or my wet feet made me slip. I would have sweat stains through the sides of my shoes. I was always miserable!!!! I would sweat in cold weather and ice cold air conditioning. It had nothing to do with heat. I went on Oxybutinin in my late 40's, I am now 64. Oxybutinin saved my life!!!! I can wear what I want (no more black) and no longer feel the absolute complete misery as I did for decades. Yes, I get very dry mouth, but so what? Have water on hand, chew gum, buy dry mouth sprays. I am so happy I have Oxybutinin!”

Lamiya p1971 March 12, 2020

For Urinary Incontinence: “Hi I’m on the oxybutynin tablets 5mg I had a full hysterectomy in 2013 I’m 49 years old now and I’ve been on theses tablets now maybe two weeks now and I’m suffering severe mouth dryness It’s painful sticky and I’ve tried oral 7 for dry mouth and biotin dry mouth wash and sprays nothing works for it Appears it’s one cause from this tablets I can’t stop taking them as I can’t hold my bladder I’m a female and it’s embarrassing can anyone help me on ideas pls”

Anonymous February 22, 2019

For Hyperhidrosis: “I've suffered with focal sweating on head and face since the age of 14. Got considerably worse during the menopause. This medication has completely stopped it!!! ! I can't believe I didn't go to my gp before now. I used to think it was just me and it's just something you get used to. But don't suffer in silence. This drug really really works and has changed my life. Thank you science!”

Dins · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 22, 2019

Ditropan (oxybutynin) for Urinary Incontinence: “Was on them for almost 3 years. I had had my gall bladder removed 2 months beforehand. I then started taking Ditropan and got dry mouth, dry nose. I then started getting spasmodic stomach pains, nausea, occasional sickness, bloating and constipation. At its worst I had two admissions to hospital by ambulance and was put on a morphine drip. I saw my GP, I was referred to gastroenterologist and then on to a specialist. I had a scan, MRI scan and endoscopy as the medical “experts” thought it was gall bladder debris. Each time I asked if it could be any of the medication I was taking. Answer : No. I was concerned that this drug could be linked with dementia. Reading up on the side effects all my symptoms I was experiencing were exactly the same as listed. Since coming off these tablets the symptoms have stopped and I’ve taken great pleasure in informing the medics of the cessation of these symptoms.”

Rosey August 20, 2019

For Hyperhidrosis: “I started taking oxybutynin 2 weeks ago after years of suffering from head and facial sweating. I asked my doctor if I could try it to see if it helped with my sweats. I am so glad that I did. What a difference it has made, sweats are totally gone. Yes, I do have a very dry mouth but it's a small price to pay. I know this medication does not work for everyone but thankfully it worked for me.”

Kiki n Milo January 11, 2014

Oxytrol (oxybutynin) for Urinary Incontinence: “I have over active bladder and uncontrolable go! I bought Oxytrol over the counter two days after it became available without a prescription. It works so great immediately and is just amazing! A real miracle! They do have to do something to improve the patch. I move it around to avoid the red irritation. It doesn't stay on well. It's too crinkley and doesn't stick well. It comes loose when I bend, when my clothes rub, and in the shower. It needs to be softer like a blister band-aid or even plain old band-aid; a more rubber or fabric type patch. I love it but it feels like a waste of money when it won't stay on. I would give it a 10 if it was softer and stayed on!”