User Reviews for Oxybutynin

Also known as: Anturol, Ditropan, Ditropan XL, Gelnique, Oxytrol, Oxytrol for Women, Urotrol

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Oxybutynin.

Dysuria

Urinary Incontinence
5.8

Summary of Oxybutynin reviews 7.5 234 reviews

Reviews for Oxybutynin

Ditropan (oxybutynin) for Urinary Incontinence: "This medicine killed her bladder. "

Jocie (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2018

Oxytrol (oxybutynin) for Overactive Bladder: "So I have multiple sclerosis/frequent and urgent bladder issues. I used these patches for several years with very good results. Worked best for 3 days, wearing for 4 days not as good on last day. Adhesive stays on after removing patch and built up over a period of time causing skin irritation and redness. Worked best on abdomen, not as well on buttocks. Did not stick well or stay on hip. I think the reason it didn't stay as well on hip & bottom was because of heat in those areas. Overall very satisfied with product."

Idahogirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 18, 2018

For Hyperhidrosis: "I'm 24, I've had hyperhydrosis since I was 12, I have palmar hyperhydrosis. I started taking oxybutynin tablets 3 days ago ( 5mg twice a day ,total 10mg a day) ,I haven't noticed any change in my sweating for the first two days,I felt like I sweat maybe even more ,and all I got were the side effects (dry mouth ,throat and dizziness ) today (the third day) I started seeing some results my sweating was decreased about 50% ,I still sweat though but I'm looking forward for better results on the next upcoming days"

Anonymous February 15, 2018

For Overactive Bladder: "I've been taking 5mg Oxybutynin for about two months. The dry eyes, mouth, lack of sweating were tolerable after the first couple of weeks. I do notice that I don't go to the restroom AS much (from around 25-26 times a day to 10-12). I've also had diarrhea since I've began taking. Am wondering if anyone else has the same issue?"

Katrina182 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2018

For Hyperhidrosis: "Have suffered excessive sweating most of my adult life, but this worsened due to Fibromyalgia. I was at my wits end, my hair and face were by far the worse, in fact didn’t want to leave the house because I always looked like I had just had bucket of water thrown over me, I was permanently fanning myself, and having to change clothes several times a day, then I read about Oxybutinin, and went to see my doctor, started 2.5 twice a day but didn’t work, so increased it to 5mg twice a day and it was like magic, haven’t taken my fan out of my handbag since stating to take them, and no more taking lots of tissues to wipe sweat off my face and hair, in fact after shopping now I’m completely dry, So glad I discovered these tablets."

Jobananas (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2017

For Hyperhidrosis: "I have suffered with Hyperhydrosis for approximately 6 years now. I'm a woman, 66 years old. Had various medications from GP, which all worked briefly. I decided to see a Consultant privately as I was fed up with the constant embarrassment of wet hair and clothing. He immediately prescribed oxybutynin. I am amazed at how well it has worked. The only side effect is a dry mouth which is greatly improved by using an OTC spray. I have been taking the medication for 6 weeks and have now halved the dose without any decrease in efficacy. This drug has certainly outperformed anything prescribed by my doctor."

Granny Jan (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2017

For Hyperhidrosis: "I've given this stuff a try a couple of times, and I'm surprised more people don't complain about the side effects?!?! I didn't really notice a difference in dryness but I sure felt terrible! I could barely function on this stuff; pressure headache, lethargy and dizziness! I'm glad it works for some people, wish I was one of them!"

Pate D December 29, 2017

For Overactive Bladder: "Poor urine control 4 months post prostectomy. Dry at night - no control during the day. Intense pelvic floor therapy without results. Doc gave samples of oxybutynin. Day two completely dry. Normal peeing. New man. Day four massive heartburn. Discussed with pharmacist. Too strong. Recommended try generic oxybutynin. Dry next day. I cut a 5mg in half and take it 3 times a day. The half life is only about 2.5 hours. People, if bad reaction cut dosage and spread it out. Not perfect. If I miss a dose urgency (tingling) comes back and sometimes the leakage and frequency. Takes awhile to get back on track. No booze. No caffeine. Don't smoke (duh). No chocolate. Drink lots of prune juice for regularity + occasional Colace."

Post prostectomy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2017

For Hyperhidrosis: "Oxybutynin hydrochloride is amazing. I've had primary and secondary hyperhidrosis since I was ~10 (I'm 24 now) and tried different treatments since I didn't want to take tablets. Finally saw a specialist who recommended Lyrinel XL so I gave it a go and it is a miracle. Totally dry at all times unless I'm extra stressed. Only side effect is dry mouth (thirsty the majority of the time!)."

SweatyIrish December 27, 2017

For Overactive Bladder: "I have taken this for about 3 weeks and made it worse. I went from wearing little to no pad to wearing pads all the time. I can't bend over with out peeing and still some times the pads don't hold it all. I have stop taking it and will go back to doc next month and see what he says. I will not take it anymore plus it make me sleepy are not able to sleep and my head hurt all the time, and I could not remember things"

nothappy22 (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2017

For Overactive Bladder: "I have MS, and I have had frequency, urgency and retention of urine for years. I've tried several other antispasmotics with no relief, but this med has done a great job once my Dr. increased the dose to 10mg. The only problem is I've noticed an undissolved pill in my stool about once a week and I sometimes find my bladder symptoms partially return for a day. My pharmacist does not know why this happens."

Odkdkathy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 14, 2017

For Overactive Bladder: "Took 2.5mg last night, was able to retain urine at night but today have upset stomach, nausea, feel dehydrated and exhausted, feels like a hangover. Will train my bladder myself! Not worth the side effects!"

Little peafowl (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2017

Ditropan (oxybutynin) for Overactive Bladder: "Been taking 10mg twice a day for two weeks. Not only is my mouth dry but my taste buds are distorted. Foods don't taste as they should and certain areas of my tongue is sore. Anyone else have this tongue/ taste bud problem?"

Auntie NeNe (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2017

For Overactive Bladder: "I had bladder spasms to where I was peeing every 5 mins. Painful bladder area on stomach.. 1st 2 days on drug terrible headache. After that miracle pill. I am now peeing every 3 hours. Bladder pain is gone. I've been on it for 30+ days."

Ktothelala November 19, 2017

For Overactive Bladder: "I have very minor uninary leakage mostly with coughing or sneezing but also have to get up 2-3 times a night to go to the bathroom. My doctor put me on Oxybutinin 15 mg ER. Pharmacist said to take at night before bed due to side effect of drowsiness. I took one pill and had insomnia all night. The next day I was groggy, dizzy, foggy head, dry nose, dry throat and mouth. The dryness was so bad my nose and throat actually ached and had a stinging sensation. The grogginess and extreme dizziness got worse as the day went on. I will never take this drug again even in a smaller dose. If it does all this with just one pill what is it doing to my body over a long term?? I will stick to pads and trips to bathroom. Watch what I drink..no caffeine."

aleanor (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

For Hyperhidrosis: "I (man, 50) have struggled with severe generalized hyperhidrosis since I was in my early thirties. I started on 2 Ditropan tablets a day, and after just two or three days the problem was 99 % gone. It still is, 6 months later. No more changing of clothes two times a day, no more distracting and at times crippling sweat attacks at work, socially etc. To me, this is a miracle drug. Yes, strong words, but my life quality has been immensely improved. Mild constipation is the only side effect, it seems to be alleviated when I reduce to one and a half tablets, so will try that. In Norway, you need to ask your GP to refer you to a dermatologist who can write prescriptions and follow you up. I recommend anyone with similar problems to try this."

Oslo50 November 13, 2017

For Overactive Bladder: "Had to stop due to worsening cough that I never had before. Cough has not gone away since stopped taking 4 weeks ago."

Suzy Qt November 11, 2017

For Overactive Bladder: "Works wonderfully for me and no side effects"

Amybee (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2017

For Hyperhidrosis: "I am starting this drug tomorrow. I have always had some issues with extreme sweating and now I've been on methadone for the last 5 months and my sweating has gotten even more out of control. I got a prescription from my doctor today and I read these reviews and I am optimistic and looking forward to trying this. I'll write again to document how it goes. Thank you."

Optimisticly sweaty September 29, 2017

For Hyperhidrosis: "I'm so grateful I read about Oxybutynin for hyperhydrosis on drugs.com 3 weeks ago it has already saved me so much anxiety, discomfort and embarrassment. I can't believe I can feel confident and comfortable in public now. THANK YOU! My crazy sweating began 2 years ago from Opiate Replacement Therapy (an extremely common side effect of methadone & Suboxone) Even in winter, just grocery shopping left me covered in sweat but since day 2 of Oxybutynin NOT ONE BEAD OF SWEAT I feel so lucky! I haven't tried exercising on it yet but I'll update when I do :) In addition to Methadone 50mg, I take Lexapro, Norimin, Ritalin & Serequel 25mg which would increase my side effects so far of dry mouth and 3 headaches but small sacrifice!"

TashSG (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

For Hyperhidrosis: "I am a 30 year old, active/fit woman who has had sweating issues for as long as I can remember. Highly embarrassing. Been taking this for about 3 weeks now and it has changed my life in a profound way. I never knew that I could be warm without buckets of sweat. I don't know that I've appreciated what cold feels like until now either because I've always been so tuned into the fact that I was wet with sweat - like just come from the shower wet. Only side effects are very dry mouth/nose. I've had a bloody nose a couple times since starting. Worth the trade"

So relieved (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2017

For Overactive Bladder: "I did have dry eyes for a couple of days but using the eye drops because I have always had dry eyes helps a lot. I am so happy to not be running to the bathroom every ten minutes is a blessing. Some days I was not able to make it home, always had to stop. So it works for me. We must realize that each of us will not experience the same thing. What effects one person may not effect the other."

taMmar September 12, 2017

For Hyperhidrosis: "This is an actual life changer for me. I've been abnormally sweaty as long as I can remember - small walks in any kind of warmth I'd be soaked, even shovelling snow in (actual) single digit temperatures would result with me soaking through coats. It would get 10 fold worse in any area with humidity (I live in a very high altitude/dry area). I was very self conscious of this, constantly only had my hair back because it would be wet by mid day. Miserable. I started doing some looking into the symptoms and found hyperhidrosis and was so relieved to see something with a name and a potential relief. I immediately set an appointment with my doctor to discuss Oxybutynin. I've been on it for three days and my sweating is gone. It's GONE."

Formerly Sweaty (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

For Overactive Bladder: "I experienced most of the side effects listed and stopped taking it. At present 2day after my vision was impaired it remains in that state. I would like to know if just stopping use is sufficient to cause the side effects to cease."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2017

Ditropan (oxybutynin) for Overactive Bladder: "Took for 2 weeks... discontinued because my throat and sinuses were so dry I was having trouble breathing. Plus, it didn't help with frequency...in fact, it seemed to lessen the time between urges. It has been over a week and I'm just starting to feel normal with my breathing!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2017