User Reviews for Oxybutynin

Also known as: Anturol, Ditropan, Ditropan XL, Gelnique, Oxytrol, Oxytrol for Women, Urotrol

Learn more about Oxybutynin.

Oxybutynin Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Hyperhidrosis.

Reviews for Oxybutynin to treat Hyperhidrosis

"I've suffered from Hyperhidrosis for several years. It started on my forehead and just spread. I had given up all hope. I went to two Dermatologist's and I was just told to take with me extra clothing to change or that I had to loose weight. I sweated no matter what. If it was snow outside, I was still sweating. If I just sat at home and enjoyed a movie I was sweat. There was no cure for this and I had given up. I got social anxiety and I avoided people and situations. Could only wear dark and black cloths. Suddenly I was hit by a miracle. Oxybutynin. I didn't belive the drug could help at all, but the Dermatologist said I should give it a try. My life has changed since then. I can finally live as a normal human being again."

nevergiveup84 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2016

"I decided to have ETS when I was in my early 30's after suffering for many years from acute underarm sweating. While successful, subsequent compensatory sweating (including gustatory sweating) created a whole new set of problems. This has mostly been easier to disguise and manage but it is a constant worry and a nightmare in the summer months. 20 years later, I discovered Propantheline Bromide and then Lyrinel XL. The former did have a noticeable benefit when taken early morning well before food but efficacy deteriorated with subsequent top ups in the day. The Lyrinel XL, if allowed to build up a few days, seems much longer lasting and has fewer side effects. Early days and not a complete cure but a massive improvement."

LondonBoy July 4, 2016

"After ten years of being brushed off by people I thought where dermatologists I have finally found relief in this medication. As my career and age progressed I have been placed in social situations that require hand to hand contact. My hands and armpits sweat constantly to a point they were dripping. It negatively affected all aspect of intimate encounters. Within a day of starting this medication I saw results. I was given 5mg however I notice that I must take it twice a day for a total of 10mg. No side effects except dry mouth and itching dry eyes."

ColdSweat (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

"I have suffered with excessive sweating for the past year or so. This is a long term side effect of my Duloxetine. I'm on 120 mgs a day for pain management (peripheral neuropathy from having had Guillam Barre Syndrome) and my mood. I suffered terrible sweating on my back and chest and under my arms. I would arrive at work saturated. I would need to change my shirt 2 or 3 times in a day. I started on Oxybutinin extended release in February 2016 and the change has been amazing. I experience a number of side effects. Mainly dry mouth, slightly blurred vision and stomach and bowel problems but in comparison to the sweating I know what I prefer. It's made such a difference. I'm a UK resident."

Stratfordkit58 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

"Suffer from excessive sweating on my face & when in hot climate it spreads to my back too. I begged help from GP who tried me on Propanthaline which left me in agony due to difficulty passing urine & cystitis type reaction after 3 days use. I was then passed to dermatology dept. at hospital who just said nothing could do! Oh the wonder of UK'S NHS!! Said to try propanano, which again did not work. So I did my own research and went 'cap in hand' back to my GP & BEGGED to try Oxybutynin. He said no solid evidence it works & it's just a placebo for hyperhydrosis. Anyway he gave in & said I could try 5mg a day. I started them 5 days ago & but better so upping dose to 10mg (at night) as makes me drowsy."

Drummie69 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

"This medication has helped me so much. Over the last few years my sweating became really excessive on my face and neck. My neck just gushed swest. All areas of my life were affected, and I was humiliated on a daily basis. I heard about an oral medication for hyperhidrosis, so I went online to do some research and I learned about oxybutynin, then went to the doctor who gave me a prescription for 5mg 2x daily. I think it took 2 or 3 days to see a difference, and it was a big difference. I was literally overjoyed. I don't mind the side effects (dry mouth and drowsiness), but for me the oxybutynin does not take the sweating completely away. I'm now in 10 mg 2x daily. I also notice it stops working about halfway through my day."

Happytobesweatfree (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 6, 2016

"Fifteen years ago I was desperate to find relief for my severe Hyperhydrosis (hands and feet). I discovered oxybutinin and it has literally changed the course of my life. I started with one 5mg dose in the morning and one 5mg dose at night. The side effects (drowsiness, foggy brain, dry mouth) were a little much for me so I cut my morning dose in half. This medication has allowed me to feel like a normal person and to engage in activities that I used to withdraw from (public speaking, shaking hands, wearing flip flops, etc.). I tried Botox (very little effect), acupuncture, drysol. Nothing has been nearly as effective as the oxybutinin. It's a game-changer!"

ShelbyAS March 22, 2016

"I lived in South east asia, basically it is summer all year round over here. I have been suffering from craniofacial hyperhidrosis since young. And the condition got progressively bad over the years especially the last 3 years. It has affected my personal life, my career and my psychological state of mind. Because I was so afraid of sweating, I developed social anxiety. Until earlier this week, I decided to get help for it and I came across Oxybutynin as oral treatment for HH. Within 2nd day of taking it, my sweating was reduced by 70%. 3rd and subsequent days I basically am sweat free. It's been years since I last felt this good! I regained my confidence, became more sociable. I got my career back on track, I got my life back."

sweaty dude February 26, 2016

"I've had hyperhidrosis since early teens. All my body is affected but feet are the worst. In the past I had to change shoes every 2-3 months because they started smell from my feet. I was ashamed when shaking hands because mine were constantly wet. I have tried many things but nothing worked. Oxybutynin changed my life. I only take one tablet at night as higher dose makes me drowsy and my mouth gets too dry. This is enough to stop my body sweating, however not enough for my feet; but this is a compromise. Feel like I was given a new life. Shame GPS don't prescribe it as proper hyperhydrosis treatment."

Polanda February 11, 2016

"This condition came from no where I never had any problems with sweating at all so 4 years ago when I turned 30 is when it all started, usually when I was out in public I would get anxious and start sweating I'd just want the earth to open up and swallow me it was so embarrassing. I went to see my doctor and a specialist and got a medical roll on and prescribed oxybutynin, the sweating stopped under my arms but started on my face and head. It's really affected my social life as I don't want to go places because of this condition. The pills have definitely helped don't get me wrong they've just not stopped the sweating completely."

Pistol Pete !!! (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 7, 2016

"I was prescribed oxybutynin Yesterday, the quality of my life has greatly improved, no more sweating and I can focus on job and talk to other people without any worries. Though mouth is just a bit dry, not a big effect. At least I have felt normal for once in my life just like everybody else, hope this great trend continues."

JackOji February 5, 2016

"Just got a prescription today. Took it at 2 pm walked outside in the sun, came back into the office, perspired a little but nothing like I used to. It's now 4 pm my office is at 80 degrees by now I'd have my tower fan at max but for the sake of testing if it works, I've turned it off. So far it's working my sweat isn't as bad. I do feel a little delirious kind of like taking morning Cold Medicine , allergy medicine, or balloon head best describes it. After suffering all my life with Hyperhydrosis and seeing it pass onto my nephew and nieces the pros far out weigh the cons. I'm a believer that it work for me. Sorry for the grammatical errors I wanted to share as soon as I could. SP"

Sonopsis October 21, 2015

"I had hyperhydrosis for years and I couldn't even drive because my hands would sweat so much I couldn't grip the wheel. My hyperhydrosis was generalized all over. I was put on rubinol forte for this... The sweats stopped within HOURS of the first dose. I now take 3mg in the morning and 3 mg at night. This drug is an antichollergenic which is why it works. If oxybutin isn't making you 100% dry, try rubinol instead. I was to the point where I was so uncomfortable in my own skin after two years of looking like I'd just had a shower all the time, I considered suicide. I tried hyoscyamine before rubinol. Which did NOTHING. Please look up rubinol on this same site drugs.com. It is prescribed for ibs, but it's side effect will stop your sweats in their tracks"

Ashley hnicole October 3, 2015

"My hyperhidrosis condition started when I finished high school. I've tried everything under the sun for this terrible condition and noting seemed to work, not even botox. It has hindered my work and social life as well. I was always ashamed from the profuse sweating and the looks I'd get from people made sweat even more. While searching for new cure for hyperhidrosis I found this forum. After reading all of the positives and negative reviews I decided to give it a try. I made an appointment with my doctor and asked her for 15mg of oxybutynin she looked puzzled but I explained to her that this could be a inexpensive therapy. She agreed to send me the EX version and it has changed my life around for the better. No sweating wow!"

Andy28 September 22, 2015

"I have been on this a couple of months as directed by my surgeon ( one 5mg a day) and I am still soaking all my clothes, mainly back, buttocks, thighs, torso, and underarms. I even have to wear disposable incontinence panties - as the sweat just pours into regular ones and leaves wet marks on seats if I don't. (I am 40 - so it's not a big deal for me to wear them) I had the surgery (2008) for cranial, facial sweating, and it was marvellous. Now in 2015 - my head and face are still sweat free - while the compensatory sweating is out of control. I drink many litres of water a day, but with the amount of sweat I produce, I have to keep drinking or my throat and mouth get so dry that food sticks in it. Waiting word for surgery number two"

Katie Haward, UK (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2015

"On it for almost 2 weeks. First week tried 15mg (2 at night and 1 around 2pm). Had huge improvement on head sweats by the end of the week 7/10, feet was a bit better 4/10 although noticed was getting drowsy / lowering of my heart rate during the day. Opted to do just 10mg (2 at night) and side effects much better and sweating issue still getting better. Feet still a bit warm although not the dripping mess they were. Social and professional impact 10/10 so is looking like a definite alternative to the ETS knife. Hoping feet will improve over the coming weeks!"

DonnyDarco July 26, 2015

"I have been on the medication for nearly ten years and it has changed my life! However if I miss a dose the sweating comes back. I take two a night because it makes me extremely drowsy. Another side effect I have noticed is that it can make me feel anxious. But overall its the only thing that controls my hands and feet from sweating!"

Jesshappy June 23, 2015

"I still sweat more than the average person but it is decreased enough soo can wear normal clothing and not sweat through them everyday"

Alexb27 June 17, 2015

"This medicine just changed my life. I had excessive sweating all over my body specially my face, underarms, and hands. It was interfering with my social life and affecting my job/ career. I developed an anxiety from my sweating and I lost hope because I tried everything until I was prescribed this medicine. Its a miracle. I got my life back. Thanks God"

Peter Mark June 5, 2015

"I first noticed my excessive sweating in high school, and it was mainly triggered by social anxiety, but even the most minimal amounts of exercise (walking home from the bus stop after school) would leave me sweating more than most. It wasn't until this year that I started on this medication, and so far it been amazing, I no longer worry about patches under my arms or between my thighs, I don't have to wipe my hands on my pants before shaking someones hands, and I can do more in terms of movement before I start sweating. Side effects I've noticed are that my face goes red when I move a little more than normal- although that's mainly due to my level of fitness, and a dry mouth. It really has worked and I'm so glad to have found a solution!"

oxybutynin supporter (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2015

"So far only been on oxybutynin for a week no signs of sweating stopping as yet, I got put on 2.5mg for 2 days b4 bed, then 5mg for 2 days now I'm on 7.5mg, I'll go up to 10 mg tomorrow and leave it there hopefully it'll soon work, I do have dry mouth, that's it at moment, I've suffered with sweating 20 yrs, I've had my family etc,as I'm getting older the sweating is knocking my confidence as my face drips n my hair does, sweating is all over but I find it more embarrassing when it's my face and hair ,plus in winter I dress like it's summer I'd rather freeze than sweat but as soon as come in from the outside I sweat bad, I've just set up working for myself n couple my customers have asked if I'm ok because of the sweat I felt ashamed."

sallyjburton (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2015

"I actually had the ETS surgery done about 12 years ago and everything was fine UNTIL I started sweating all over my chair, back, legs and inner thighs. It's soooo embarrassing living in FL dealing with this. It caused me to stop wearing any light color clothing (which I loved). As soon as I took my first half of the 5mg I noticed a relief. I did sweat a little being outside, however I was not drenched. I took to other half before bedtime (as directed) and only side effect I am noticing is the dry lips and mouth. But so worth it. I sure hope and pray that this is my lifelong solution!"

Sweaty Bettyy March 31, 2015

"I have suffered with severe hyperhidrosis (palmar, plantar, and axillary) since birth and was diagnosed at a very young age when I broke out with a heat rash all over my hands and feet. Thankfully, I have outgrew the rashes but unfortunately not the sweat. I have tried Drysol, Iontophoresis, Botox injections, Glycopyrrolate, and Oxybutynin (as well as extended release versions of the last two medications). I feel safe to say that two 5mg tabs of Oxybutynin at nighttime has worked best for me. I have been taking Oxybutynin since 2005--nearly 10 years now and it still is holding up pretty well. Side effects that I experience: dehydration, dizziness and weakness."

mlouwho (taken for 10 years or more) October 28, 2014

"I was a social leper, suffering with a most severe bout of hyperhydrosis; Oxybutynin prolonged-release tablets have totally transformed my life."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 9, 2014

"I've been on 10 mg ER for 2 weeks. It is a MIRACLE! I've had super sweats for 14 years of misery due to autoimmune disorders. I am now pinching myself because I went to a new dermatologist who prescribed this. Now, I get to live a normal life!"

Steppiemum August 27, 2014