User Reviews for Oxybutynin

Also known as: Anturol, Ditropan, Ditropan XL, Gelnique, Oxytrol, Oxytrol for Women, Urotrol

Oxybutynin Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Hyperhidrosis.

Reviews for Oxybutynin to treat Hyperhidrosis

"This medication is great. I have been struggling with hyperhydrosis for as long as I can remember. Now that I’ve reached a point of maturity in my life I now realize how much it was affecting my relationships, my social life, my style of dress and career options. I have hyperhydrosis on my palms, feet, and under arms. Oxybutynin helps me stay dry even when I’m driving!! My mouth is constantly dry but I’ll take that over sweating. I still sweat a little on my palms and feet when it’s hot but it’s not sweating profusely and it goes away shortly after."

Asdfghjkl (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2018

"I have sjogrens syndrome, for almost 7 years and the sweating comes along with that. All the symptoms are there, dry mouth-eyes-the sweating started in the last 2 years as soon as the humidity and heat start up until the start of late fall. It has gotten worse where I can't stand around the stove to cook. Don't eat too much hot food in those months. I've learned so much on the computer and I found 1 medication that helps pretty much, it is a towelette that u dab on your body, its,it's called sweat block and its pretty good. Also my rheumatologist put me on oxybutin. So far so good. Don't sweat at nite, and thankful for that.Good luck to all, can't wait for winter here in N.C."

Bet (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2018

"As I moved in to my thirties, I began sweating heavily all over my torso. Unlike many, I don't sweat excessively in my arm pits, hands, or feet. I am now approaching 50, and the problem has only gotten worse. If the temperature is above above 75, or humid, sweat runs down my chest and back, and soaks my shirt, and belt line. It's miserable, and has caused me to withdraw from most of my friendships, because I can't participate in many of the things we would like to do. I began taking oxybutynin about 6 months ago, and it has been somewhat helpful. Not as much as I'd hoped, but it does enable me to go out in public more, and in general just feel better that sweat isn't running down my chest, or back, quite as quickly as before. Unfortunately, it's still not enough to make me feel comfortable doing things with friends, which is depressing."

2TrakMind (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 26, 2018

"I was seen by the doctor today for hyperhidrosis - never did I know there was a treatment for it. Anyways, I sweat profusely and overheat in an instant. The sweat starts on my head and pours down my scalp, neck, and face! My pits are always wet even though I slather myself up with antiperspirant. My family even had to bring me clothes at work bc I was drenched. I even start sweating after a cold shower, like right out of the shower! Ugh! I read the comments/reviews and have faith that I, too, will be dry!!!"

Sweaty McSweat Sweats July 3, 2018

"I have been on this medication for about 2 weeks and it is a real life changer !! I have to say though that I first got Oxybutynin XL and that didn’t help at all, so when I went back to my doctor she said that I probably needed the normal Oxybutynin. The one with XL is for extended release and the normal one is for short release and that helps most with the sweating. I can not even begin to tell you how much this changed my life!!! Yes, I have a dry mouth and sometimes a little blurry vision but I will take that any day over the sweating. Hope you guys try it out, I give it a 10!!!!"

Sweat free (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2018

"You guys! I have to share my experience because this is life- changing (so far!) I have had issues sweating in my palms and feet ever since I was like 10. Now at 30 it has become almost debilitating with my career, I used to think I’d have to live with this forever so I got used to it and concealed it. I have NEVER told anyone. Is that crazy. Until recently I had to see my doctor because it seems during the summer it’s so much worse. She prescribed me oxybutynin and after like 4 days I am seeing a difference! A little clammy but I am only taking one 5 mg tablet a day. I assume when I start 2 a day it will completely decrease. The only side effects so far are dry mouth, I get sleepy earlier now, and a little bloody nose. It’s not cheap with my insurance but I would pay more to get rid of this mortifying disorder!!! You guys must get this from your doctor if you are suffering. Don’t continue to be embarrassed by this! Hope this helps."

Ms sweaty palms (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2018

"I am an 18 year old girl with extreme insecurities due to my hyperhidrosis on my hands, underarms and feet. I have tried everything from creams to iontophoresis, may last resort was surgery. Until my dermatologist put me on this, I haven't sweat for two weeks and my life has completely changed. I can now shake peoples hands, write in books and not have the pages turn yellow and I can actually put gloves ON!!!! My life has changed forever, and I will never ever be happier."

fill (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2018

"I asked my doctor to prescribe this pill on Tuesday and by Wednesday I could tell the difference. I typically sweat in my hands, feet, groin area and arm pits. Normally once I am over heated there is no stopping the sweat. Yesterday I noticed I went outside for a bit in 90+ degrees and I started to sweat but it only lasted for a few minutes and once I went inside the building I was dry after a few minutes. Normally just being outside for 10 minutes could trigger a sweat attack for hours! I will post an update in a few weeks. Thank you all for your feedback because it is saving my life! Oh, and I have noticed dry mouth, but I typically drink 90 oz of water a day so it won't be a huge problem I hope."

dryarmpits (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2018

"I've suffered from sweaty palms and feet since childhood as it runs in the family. I'm now 43yrs old and just found out about oxybutynin 3 weeks ago. I immediately got my doctor to write me up a prescription. 3 days after taking 5mg twice a day my hands were about 90% dry and feet about 75%. 3 weeks on this medication and dry all day long!!!!! I do experience dry mouth, eye and nose, however, I would gladly trade those side effects to be confident and dry. Hope this helps :-)"

JV May 25, 2018

"Hope this helps somebody. I've had severe night sweats for 5 years, since having an ovary removed. Drenching sheets multiple times a night. Tried a dozen treatments, mostly oral hormones, that didn't help at all. Then, tried Gabapentin. It stopped the night sweats completely! But made me feel spaced out all day --not an acceptable trade-off. Finally tried Oxybutinin for night sweats. It's been less than a week, but so far the severity of my sweats is drastically reduced and I've had no side effects! Good luck to us all."

Tessie (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

"I have suffered from hyperhidrosis since I could remember. The hands and feet didn't really bother me much in the beginning, but about 4 years ago the armpits started and it was just depressing. This thing just takes over and you can't control it. I've tried medicines, botox, miradry with no lasting or permanent relief. Just went I thought it couldn't get worst, surprise, surprise, it just went downhill from there because 2 years ago it just spread to my entire body. It is just THOUGHT CONSUMING and EMBARRASSING. I just came from my doctor today and she prescribed oxybutynin, I really hope it works and be one of the lucky ones. Can't wait to start it. Will give update in a month."

OptimisticlySweaty March 15, 2018

"I'm 24, I've had hyperhydrosis since I was 12, I have palmar hyperhydrosis. I started taking oxybutynin tablets 3 days ago ( 5mg twice a day ,total 10mg a day) ,I haven't noticed any change in my sweating for the first two days,I felt like I sweat maybe even more ,and all I got were the side effects (dry mouth ,throat and dizziness ) today (the third day) I started seeing some results my sweating was decreased about 50% ,I still sweat though but I'm looking forward for better results on the next upcoming days"

Anonymous February 15, 2018

"Have suffered excessive sweating most of my adult life, but this worsened due to Fibromyalgia. I was at my wits end, my hair and face were by far the worse, in fact didn’t want to leave the house because I always looked like I had just had bucket of water thrown over me, I was permanently fanning myself, and having to change clothes several times a day, then I read about Oxybutinin, and went to see my doctor, started 2.5 twice a day but didn’t work, so increased it to 5mg twice a day and it was like magic, haven’t taken my fan out of my handbag since stating to take them, and no more taking lots of tissues to wipe sweat off my face and hair, in fact after shopping now I’m completely dry, So glad I discovered these tablets."

Jobananas (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2017

"I have suffered with Hyperhydrosis for approximately 6 years now. I'm a woman, 66 years old. Had various medications from GP, which all worked briefly. I decided to see a Consultant privately as I was fed up with the constant embarrassment of wet hair and clothing. He immediately prescribed oxybutynin. I am amazed at how well it has worked. The only side effect is a dry mouth which is greatly improved by using an OTC spray. I have been taking the medication for 6 weeks and have now halved the dose without any decrease in efficacy. This drug has certainly outperformed anything prescribed by my doctor."

Granny Jan (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2017

"I've given this stuff a try a couple of times, and I'm surprised more people don't complain about the side effects?!?! I didn't really notice a difference in dryness but I sure felt terrible! I could barely function on this stuff; pressure headache, lethargy and dizziness! I'm glad it works for some people, wish I was one of them!"

Pate D December 29, 2017

"Oxybutynin hydrochloride is amazing. I've had primary and secondary hyperhidrosis since I was ~10 (I'm 24 now) and tried different treatments since I didn't want to take tablets. Finally saw a specialist who recommended Lyrinel XL so I gave it a go and it is a miracle. Totally dry at all times unless I'm extra stressed. Only side effect is dry mouth (thirsty the majority of the time!)."

SweatyIrish December 27, 2017

"I (man, 50) have struggled with severe generalized hyperhidrosis since I was in my early thirties. I started on 2 Ditropan tablets a day, and after just two or three days the problem was 99 % gone. It still is, 6 months later. No more changing of clothes two times a day, no more distracting and at times crippling sweat attacks at work, socially etc. To me, this is a miracle drug. Yes, strong words, but my life quality has been immensely improved. Mild constipation is the only side effect, it seems to be alleviated when I reduce to one and a half tablets, so will try that. In Norway, you need to ask your GP to refer you to a dermatologist who can write prescriptions and follow you up. I recommend anyone with similar problems to try this."

Oslo50 November 13, 2017

"I am starting this drug tomorrow. I have always had some issues with extreme sweating and now I've been on methadone for the last 5 months and my sweating has gotten even more out of control. I got a prescription from my doctor today and I read these reviews and I am optimistic and looking forward to trying this. I'll write again to document how it goes. Thank you."

Optimisticly sweaty September 29, 2017

"I'm so grateful I read about Oxybutynin for hyperhydrosis on drugs.com 3 weeks ago it has already saved me so much anxiety, discomfort and embarrassment. I can't believe I can feel confident and comfortable in public now. THANK YOU! My crazy sweating began 2 years ago from Opiate Replacement Therapy (an extremely common side effect of methadone & Suboxone) Even in winter, just grocery shopping left me covered in sweat but since day 2 of Oxybutynin NOT ONE BEAD OF SWEAT I feel so lucky! I haven't tried exercising on it yet but I'll update when I do :) In addition to Methadone 50mg, I take Lexapro, Norimin, Ritalin & Serequel 25mg which would increase my side effects so far of dry mouth and 3 headaches but small sacrifice!"

TashSG (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

"I am a 30 year old, active/fit woman who has had sweating issues for as long as I can remember. Highly embarrassing. Been taking this for about 3 weeks now and it has changed my life in a profound way. I never knew that I could be warm without buckets of sweat. I don't know that I've appreciated what cold feels like until now either because I've always been so tuned into the fact that I was wet with sweat - like just come from the shower wet. Only side effects are very dry mouth/nose. I've had a bloody nose a couple times since starting. Worth the trade"

So relieved (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2017

"This is an actual life changer for me. I've been abnormally sweaty as long as I can remember - small walks in any kind of warmth I'd be soaked, even shovelling snow in (actual) single digit temperatures would result with me soaking through coats. It would get 10 fold worse in any area with humidity (I live in a very high altitude/dry area). I was very self conscious of this, constantly only had my hair back because it would be wet by mid day. Miserable. I started doing some looking into the symptoms and found hyperhidrosis and was so relieved to see something with a name and a potential relief. I immediately set an appointment with my doctor to discuss Oxybutynin. I've been on it for three days and my sweating is gone. It's GONE."

Formerly Sweaty (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

"Female 40yrs -age. Started getting axillary hyperhidrosis at age 24yrs. Not known if hereditary so Dr said wasn't primary but secondary I basically begged my Dr as it had major effects on my QOL. At my wits end, willing to try anything, just want it to be over! On day 4 of 2.5mg per day. I took 1st dose in afternoon (fine) 2nd dose just before dinner ( not good! Found myself dizzy and tired) 3rd & 4th dose before bed ( fine) 4th day starting to get slight dry throat, not major. Sweat seems to have decreased a little. Not confident to wear anything not black can't be certain as to improvement as sometimes clothing feels wet but when I feel armpit it feels dry, weird. Will be brave tomorrow and wear colour. Will keep updating over weeks."

Tumtum 566 August 3, 2017

"Thank goodness for a diagnose! And oxybutynin. The truth is I have hypothyroidism which gives me terrible temperature fluctuations. I can be cold then I can be hot and so on. I also have fibromyalgia which is autoimmune disease. And last annoying temperature changer is ranaulds. Another pesky temperature changer that affects your nose, fingers and toes. I told my doctor about my reading about oxybutynin and how it treat temperature changes. I started on 5 mg of Oxybutynin that was a little too much for me. So I take 2.5 mg in the morning. And I'm good for the day. I dripped, change clothes three times a day, sweating at night, and now I'm free."

Molly Gayle (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2017

"I've been suffering from sweaty palms and feet since I was really little, but now at 15, it has really started to impact my life. As a child, I thought it was normal to have clammy hands and feet but as I hit puberty it got very excessive and my armpits started to sweat heavily as well. It never really bothered me until high school ,as people would make remarks which hurt me as I couldn't help it. It was embarassing and made me constantly self conscious. I started taking lyrinel 1 week ago and I sweat like a normal person! My hands and feet are dry, unless I'm clenching them for a long time, they'll get a bit clammy. My pits barely sweat. This stuff is a life saver , although it makes me drowsy sometimes and gives me a dry throat."

Jessjwjwjajao June 18, 2017

"This drug is pretty amazing. I've had hyperhydrosis of the palms, soles and underarms since hitting puberty. I was skeptic since I've previously tried botox, iontophoresis and drysol with limited results. However, after three days of taking oxybutynin (5mg 3x a day) I was 95% sweat-free. My only negative things to say about the drug is about side effects. I have gotten fairly dizzy/spaced out a few times, and I experience dry mouth pretty often. However, that's not bad in comparison to the acne I've gotten. I used to get pimples around once a month, however now I have ones lasting for <6 wks, varying in size/colour. I constantly have groups of acne on my face. Does anyone have any remedies? I've tried acne masks, cleansers and tea tree oil."

* (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2017