User Reviews for Cymbalta

Osteoarthritis 6.5
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 6.4 1,464 reviews

Reviews for Cymbalta

Hecktor · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 22, 2020

For Depression: “Duloxetine was my lucky shot after trying other AD's including ssri, snri and tca. Won't mention names, because these might be effective in others.”

LisDai · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 20, 2020

For Osteoarthritis: “Was prescribed Cymbalta for debilitating pain when initially diagnosed with severe RA and OA. Never worked again. I did however sleep away the greater part of a year. Completely sapped my energy and only identified Cymbalta as the cause when many years later was prescribed again and a more coherent me realized this drug literally knocked me out cold. My husband asked how the med was working and I lifted my head off the couch and said great. He responded you have been laying in the same spot for three days. Apparently, this drug is not for me. That being said it allowed me the best sleep I ever had both times I took it. Lol”

Chris · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2020

For Depression: “I’ve been taking Cymbalta at a dose of 40 mg for 1 week now, I feel light headed. Not really depressed or having anxiety, but I can’t sleep and I have no appetite. I’m already under weight. Feeling stoned all day. My stomach also churns all night. I think there must be something more tolerable for me. I can’t function. Any suggestions?”

CD · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 16, 2020

For Depression: “I had been on this drug for over two years. My doctor never warned me of how my life would change on this drug. I developed extreme insomnia, sexual dysfunction, and I felt like a zombie with no emotions. I have been weaning off this pill for almost a week now and I have had extreme nausea and extreme mood swings. If I were you I’d stay far clear from this pill. It has destroyed me for the amount of time I was on it to the time I am weaning it off.”

Heywood · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2020

For Anxiety: “Took my first Cymbalta yesterday. About 2 hours after taking it, I felt like I had no energy. About 2 hours after that, I was running to the bathroom. That night, I went to sleep fine, but woke up at 3am and couldn't go back to sleep. I got out of bed at 530am, grabbed a cup of coffee and within 3 minutes, I was having heat flashes followed by freezing flashes, felt like I was going to get sick, and had zero energy. Went to the doctor at 8:45 and was having a reaction to the drug and broke out in a cold sweat in the office. It is now 5pm, and I still feel like I was run over by a train, no energy, stomach is still iffy, and my head has pins and needles.”

Mia September 6, 2020

For Depression: “Awful. I work overnights so I took Cymbalta in the morning with my other meds (300mg Lamotrigine and 125mg of Spironolactone) I took it with a glass of milk because I was told it didn’t matter if I took it with food or not. Terrible idea. I woke up freezing but constantly shivering and I tried to combat the nausea by eating a banana and I threw the banana up. Never in my life has a medication made me vomit. I’m in recovery so the feeling of taking it was like a foreign substance and I’ve been sober for years so that absolutely did not sit well with me. I blindly trusted my doctor and didn’t do my research, please don’t make the same mistake. I’ve never been so sick as well. And it went on for hours after one dose (30mg) Best wishes. Hope everyone finds what they need safely and healthily.”

Kelsey · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 4, 2020

For Anxiety: “I have been on cymbalta 30 mg for about a year and a half for anxiety. When I first started taking it I could not stay awake. If I sat down and got still I was asleep. After about 3 months that started wearing off (never fully). I have also had muscle spasms since I started and they have not went away. I recently started having panic attacks and couldn’t seem to focus at all. I talked to my dr about switching meds, they decided that moving to 60mg would help my anxiety more. I took 60 mg for about a week and was having so many more muscle spasms. I also had headaches everyday. I felt all over the place. So I went to my dr again saying I thought I need something else. I will start taking Wellbutrin. I really hope this is going to be the medicine for me. My anxiety is out of control right now coming off cymbalta. I also am having a ton of dizziness.”

sandie · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 2, 2020

For Depression: “Light headed when walking..”

ricardo9123 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2020

For Depression: “Cymbalta is horrible stuff! Adverse effects when trying to stop taking Cymbalta. Went from 30mg to 60mg over a month long period but don't bother with this drug as it doesn’t do what it’s prescribed to do, (for me anyway has not lessened anxiety or depression) Trying to stop taking it has worsened my symptoms. No sleep, rapid heart beat, sweats, headaches, affected work, feeling like absolute shite, etc etc, the list goes on. I would not recommend this drug at all!! Stay Away.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 21, 2020

For Depression: “Has anyone had liver damage or liver cancer???????”

Mags August 19, 2020

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “I was prescribed Cymbalta for generalized anxiety disorder, and I was on it for about 10 months. I can’t say it really helped me with anxiety, and I finally decided to try to come off it because it was raising my heart rate. After trying to slowly taper for 2 to 3 weeks, the side effects were so extreme and so uncomfortable that I decided to stop taking the medication altogether in an attempt to rid it from my body as quickly as possible. I experienced every single one of the potential side effects of withdrawal. The worst side effects have been dizziness, vertigo, brain zaps, brain fog, nausea, and diarrhea. These side effects have been going on for three weeks and have been getting worse with no end in sight. I have no idea when or if the side effects of withdrawal will go away, but I can do nothing but lie in bed until they do. Please, please, please do not go on this medication. It should be banned.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 1, 2020

For Depression: “I was diagnosed with PMDD and was prescribed Cymbalta. I don’t know if I’ve ever been so sick in my life. Nauseous, vomiting, diarrhea, insomnia, loss of appetite, dry mouth, and all of this after one dose. Never again.”

Regina July 29, 2020

For Anxiety: “I have been on Cymbalta 30 mg daily for almost two weeks for anxiety and depression. I have taken the medicine two times before with no side effects. This time however, my first week side effects are were diarrhea, nausea, unable to eat much, worse anxiety and hot flushes in my chest causing a bad panic attack. New thing for me. Never had this hot sensation in my chest before. Second week felt a little better for two days then boom hot flushes again throwing me into another panic attack. This one milder than previous week. I’m so confused. Not sure whether to keep taking or not. Scary stuff when I get these hot flushing sensations across my chest and heart rate goes up.”

WSR · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2020

For Osteoarthritis: “CYMBALTA changed my life. I started using Cymbalta for severe chronic lower back pain. My pain was so bad I considered suicide on many occasions. After failed back surgery, over the counter medications, epidurals, spinal ablation and everything else imaginable, my pain doctor prescribed Cymbalta. The side effects from Cymbalta were horrible, but within 2 weeks my back pain completely disappeared. I still deal with the side effects and Cymbalta is a highly addictive drug that is near impossible to withdraw from. I have come to terms with the alternatives and have decided Cymbalta is worth all of the negatives. It has saved my life.”

Hoffa khan July 25, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “It’s helpful”

Mazie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 23, 2020

For Back Pain: “Prescribed for back pain. I was told I have to start with 30mg. and in a week increase it to 60mg. After two days on Cymbalta, I knew I would never make it. I got sick almost immediately - stumbling, brain fog, diarrhea, jaw pain, headache, and nausea. I told my doctor I wanted off but she said to take it "a few weeks" before I went up to 60mg. I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt, so I stayed on it for a few more weeks, but didn't get better and it actually got a lot worse. I called my doctor's office and told her I wanted off. There was no way I was going up to 60mg. Since I had never increased the dosage, I immediately went to every other day for a week, then stopped. The withdrawal was every bit as bad as the reaction to the pill. There is finally a slight alleviation in the symptoms, so I've decided just to wait it out. MY RECOMMENDATION: My experience is this is the worse pill I have ever taken. Bottom line? DON'T TAKE THIS PILL!!!!”

jules · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

For Depression: “I took a 30mg Cymbalta capsule at 9am at 9.30am it was like someone threw a brick at my head then I started to get brain zaps. I thought it would wear off but I started to get cramps, became very thirsty, vomiting, became uncoordinated and then called an ambulance. My sodium level dropped to 118 and I got hyponatremia. they took me straight to emergency dept and gave me a brain scan and a salty drink. I stayed in the emergency ward for 4 days and they said never to have cymbalta again or I could have a stroke or worse. I am a 58 year old healthy female I would be very cautious taking this drug and definitely have someone with you who can take you to hospital if things go wrong as they did with me. I was lucky I still was thinking straight enough to call and ambulance. That saved my life.”

Pstar89 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 3, 2020

For Anxiety: “Ok I gave a review at 5-6 months being on Duloxetine now its been a year. I started out on 30mg's for a week then had moved up to 60mg's felt great for awhile. After about 5 months I noticed I started to feel anxious and just didn't feel right when up so we moved it up to 80mg's but pushed through 80mg's helped but still didn't feel right for a few months now I'm on 100mg's, I take 60mg's at 9am and 40mg's at 5pm and man do I feel great I finally am back - life has been amazing I know this medication isn't for everybody or people have had bad experiences on it but its truly helped me and I'm so thankful for that!!! Only rated it a 9 because nothing is perfect.”

Always In Pain · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “Cymbalta is somewhat costly. Initially prescribed for lower back pain. The first 2-3 months, it worked VERY well. It helped with the back pain, and, improved my general mood. Bonus feature, it was helping with my permanent migraine. I had only a few side effects, at first, but, they started building up. Insomnia to the point of 15 minutes of sleep, or less, per day (for over a month), spontaneous ejaculation, cold sweats, no sex drive. Started to get a few electric shock-like sensations in the extremities. Started to feel zombie-like. I came off the stuff cold turkey. Withdrawal symptoms included MANY shock-like jolts to hands & feet (for about 6 years), a few months of a zombie-like feeling (Low drive) I'd rate it GOOD for a short-term use (1-2 months). Anything longer than 3 months, I would strongly advise against. (As any other anti-depressant)”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “Not good. Try to change your situation without using cymbalta. If you cannot exercise to relieve your pain then try deep breathing and relaxing music, books or walking. If you are bed ridden, pray and use mindful thinking. It requires time and dedication. Learn stretches with deep breaths but be careful to not break or injure yourself.”

Nicki · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 1, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I personally loved this medication. Although it didn’t really help with my back pain, it helped with my anxiety as well as depression. It took almost a numbing effect, so I wasn’t feeling the emotions as strongly as I used to. But I’ve heard it works differently for some other people. I recommend trying it out, thanks for reading.”

Jo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 29, 2020

For Major Depressive Disorder: “I've been on Cymbalta for about a year now and just recently increased dosage from 60mg to 90mg because of depressive episodes during quarantine. I've not had problems with the drug until now. I recently have started having trouble staying asleep, although falling asleep hasn't been an issue. I've also wet the bed which is extremely unusual as I haven't done that since I was a child. Overall, it has helped relieve suicidal thoughts and anxiety attacks, but the higher dosage side effects are really making me consider going back down to 60mg.”

GoobersMom · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2020

For Depression: “I have been on 60mg Duloxetine daily for 1 month, 30mg daily before that to wean off Effexor. The Duloxetine was so ineffective & the withdrawal from the Effexor was so bad that I had to take both for about 6 weeks. Now with no Effexor I am back to feeling no effects from Duloxetine. I'm painfully depressed and have sudden bouts of extreme anger & irritability. I cry all the time, have no appetite, and hate going out in public. I've been on every antidepressant on the market. With Duloxetine, I might as well be eating Tic Tacs.”

Julles43 May 26, 2020

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: “Took Cymbalta for severe nerve pain. (Hemangioblastoma removal inside spinal cord @ C4,5,6). It worked well for the pain and I had little side effects. Came to a point my doctor and I decided I didn’t need it anymore. Then the fun began. I don’t care what kind of issue you have or how much pain you are in - DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION! Trying to get off this was the worst thing I could ever have imagined and it went on for months!! The list of symptoms was long and bizarre. I can’t stress enough how bad it was...please, please don’t take even 1. PS To Loulou: after being deathly ill for weeks I called my doctor, again, and they told me to just start taking it again and start tapering off again at another time! What?!? No frigging way so I suffered through almost six months of horrid withdrawal. It does go away, I promise! You aren’t alone - I felt EXACTLY the same way you do now! Hang in and do not start taking it again!! Good luck to you!”

Jess · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2020

For Back Pain: “I had previously got steroid injections for DDD and hip problems all caused from earlier undiagnosed injury as a child. Later in life turned into severe arthritis and facet joint issues. I am only 38 years old. The injections made me feel like a puffer fish and weight ballooned from fluid retention. However it got my inflammation down. So after speaking to my doctor and not wanting to resort to these injections again she tried me on Cymbalta. At first I will say side effects were odd and I felt awful. Helped immediately with weight loss however and after 2 weeks I started to level off and be able to do things I hadn't in almost a year. I literally couldn't bend to pick up my baby. Everyone is different but I have pretty severe back issues daily and for this to be as positive as it was after the first 2 weeks has made a great impact on my life.”