User Reviews for Budesonide

Also known as: Uceris, Pulmicort Flexhaler, Entocort EC, Pulmicort Respules Ortikos

Budesonide has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 111 ratings on Drugs.com. 58% of those users who reviewed Budesonide reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Ulcerative Colitis
8.7
Summary of Budesonide reviews 6.8 111 reviews

Reviews for Budesonide

Cory · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 31, 2021

For Crohn's Disease: “Budesonide was not able to control my Crohn's flare and I had to move on to more powerful drugs. I noticed a slight improvement after 2 weeks, but it was never able to get me out of the flare. On a positive note, my only side effect was dry mouth. I'd say it's worth trying if you can get insurance to cover it since the side effects are minimal and it works well for some people.”

Paul · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 13, 2021

Uceris (budesonide) for Ulcerative Colitis: “Terrific drug. I use the rectal foam every other day. My life is now completely normal. The drug, however, is expensive, costing $600 and up for a month's supply on the open market. My insurance company considers it a specialty drug. The last time I paid ca. $100 for a two-month's supply. But the actual amount of the drug in the box of two cylinders may last as long as three months if the drug is taken no more than three or four times a week.”

Not IBS · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2021

Entocort EC (budesonide) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “Was prescribed Entocort after a colon biopsy positive for microscopic colitis (and a high calprotectin level in stool tests). I experienced improvement from Day 1 and was cured by the end of the 90-day course of therapy. This felt like a miracle after being misdiagnosed with IBS for 5 years and nothing helped.”

Curious · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2020

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “I have been on Budesonide for approximately 6 weeks as I have Microscopic Colitis. Last week I forgot to take my dose in the morning and after dinner that evening my diarrhea had returned in full ugly force. It wasn't until my husband asked if I took my med that I realized I had forgotten to take that morning. This was the only time throughout the course that I missed a does. This med has worked wonderfully so far with no side effects, however I am concerned that in two weeks I am scheduled to stop taking it or to ween off that it won't be successful. My understanding is long term steroid use is harmful. Any advice?”

SherylR · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 8, 2014

Entocort EC (budesonide) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “Microscopic Colitis: I have already given a review on this medication but I wanted to add important information. The one thing I found is the generic Budesonide (bright pink capsule) does not work well as the brand Entocort EC. (gray and pink) I take whatever the pharmacy has available. This last refill was generic and while on it, all my symptoms returned. Saw my gastro and told him about it and he said he had one other patient that stated generic didn't work for them. He prescribed brand only and it works like a charm. If you find you aren't doing well on the generic, ask for brand. See if it makes a difference. It did for me.”

Sherylro December 5, 2013

Entocort EC (budesonide) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “I was prescribed this for Collagenous (microscopic) Colitis and it worked immediately with the first dose. I take three 3mg capsules at once in the morning. I've been on it for 15 months straight with no side effects but I do have to have a bone density scan once a year. I have tried weaning off the medicine but my symptoms return so looks like I'm on this for life. Entocort is my miracle. It helps me live a normal life.”

Salohan · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2020

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “Hello, Anyone experienced nausea, weakness and loss of appetite from Entocort? I have been on this for a week for MC flareup but these side effects along with the abdominal cramps is intolerable. Anyone experienced these effects?”

john88 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2013

Uceris (budesonide) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “I was excited when I 1st heard about Uceris' approval for ulcerative colitis. I started taking it and the 1st few days I felt pretty good with minimal bathroom trips/stomach upset, etc. After about 3 days things got worse and worse each day I took the medicine. It started as constant cramping and stomach pain, and slowly having very urgent bathroom needs. I had to stop taking Uceris because it made all my symptoms worse. So know that going in, that it can help you, but it also might make your situation worse. ”

Anonymous June 16, 2015

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “Budesonide has been a blessing in my case and other than being extremely expensive, I am pleased. I have now been on it for 2 months due to collagenous colitis and have had a bonus experience other than controlling my diarrhea, I also suffer from extreme arthritis pain. Within days both the Diarrhea and the Pain were 95% gone. I am extremely concerned about being weaned off budesonide at 12 weeks which is the prescribed course. Also curious as to others that have possibly been on it longer and also whether anyone else has experienced the bonus pain relief. I feel like I actually have my Life back right now due to this stuff.”

BB · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2020

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “I have experienced diarrhea, incont of stool abdominal pain for many months. Found a MD that was actually interested in finding an answer to my symptoms, which was Lymphocytic colitis and I started the budesonide medication and have had no symptoms Starting my second month and then will be weaning So far no side effects except increase appetite but I am living a normal life”

bobnp May 20, 2009

Entocort EC (budesonide) for Crohn's Disease, Acute: “This has been a miracle medication for me. The cost is a bit high, but the benefits out way the cost. I receive the same benefits as I do from Prednisone, however, with none of the side effects. It works very fast for me. I really think people who have to use prednisone should reconsider and try this medication for moderate flairs. I have had Crohn's disease for 33 years, this is the only medication (except prednisone) that has worked ever so well. ”

Anonymous September 12, 2010

Entocort EC (budesonide) for Crohn's Disease, Acute: “VERY good medication! I had uncontrolled Crohn's for many years (no medicine would work for me). My gastroenterologist decided to try this one and it was a life saver. I couldn't go out before (even for groceries!). It didn't take very long to get the full effects from it and though the cost is higher than with the other medicines, I am more than willing to pay it to get my life back. I could only get relief from prednisone before this medicine came along, but had terrible side effects from it. Highly recommended for anyone looking for some relief for Crohn's. Good luck to all with this debilitating disease.”

merocks March 31, 2010

Entocort EC (budesonide) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “I have been suffering with severe diarrhea due to Lymphocytic Colitis for 2 years. Have taken many different prescriptions for it with no help. Entocort was prescribed to me 10 days ago and I feel terrific! The diarrhea and cramping has stopped. I really feel great. For the first 4 days I did have a moderate headache, but that has gone. The only side effect I have now is some mild ache on my face. For me, Entocort has given me my life back.”

Sally1289 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2020

Entocort EC (budesonide) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “Ihave Microscopic colitis and was prescribed 9mg for 30 days, 6mg for 30 days , 3mg for 30 days. I took this for 30 days with no relief, was also taking immodium and cholestrymine, still with no relief. Got prescribed lotolil 2 pills up to 4 times a day, still no relief. so unfortunately it has not worked for me.”

SHERLOCK · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “I have been on budesonide (for IBD) for 11 weeks including the weaning stage. My reason for using this drug was for incontinent bowel. Second day of use of three 3mg tablets I was no longer experiencing incontinence with the bowel and things were getting back to normal. 10 weeks later after being off of medicine for 5 days...my colon started acting up again. So am about to go on an alternating plan of 2 tablets one day and 1 the next.”

Kaymlt February 21, 2014

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “This medication was an answer to prayer. I suffered with chronic diarrhea for over a year and had tried Imodium, dietary changes, and anything else I could think of to stop it. I eventually had a colonoscopy and biopsies taken showed collagenous colitis, a form of microscopic colitis. ONE day on this med stopped my diarrhea. I haven't had any negative side effects whatsoever.”

Anonymous December 1, 2011

Entocort EC (budesonide) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “This medicine changed my life. I have taken it for 2yrs, but now have no health insurance and can't afford it. I have severe cramping and constant diarrhea. Food is repulsive to me and am losing weight like crazy. I sure do miss it.”

Colitis Queen · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 12, 2017

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “I suffered from massive diarrhea and horrible incontinence that kept me hiding at home, deeply depressed and wearing a diaper. Budesonide changed my life! I travel now and go everywhere with confidence. The bad news is that the American pharma industry has jacked up the cost of GENERIC Budesonide to over $1,000 a month ( without insurance.) Even WITH my United Healthcare insurance, the cost is STILL $300 a month! Luckily, I found a Canadian website which sells drugs from Europe and India, so now my cost for 30 days of Budesonide is $125. Check Consumer Reports for guidelines about how to safely purchase meds from Canada. Meanwhile, tell your Congress person that the U.S. Pharma industry is BLEEDING us!”

Ole john · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 23, 2013

Uceris (budesonide) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “Outstanding results after the fourth day using Uceris. Has none of the typical prednisone major side effects. Works in the lower colon. I used it for 8 weeks. Held the Ulcerative Colitis in remission for an additional 5 months.”

Kats September 26, 2018

Uceris (budesonide) for Ulcerative Colitis: “I have been prescribed this for microscopic colitis. I have been hesitating, and this site has convinced me to try it. I am on Medicare and my supplemental insurance has quoted me $1500 for this medicine for two months. My co-pay is $365 and only pays for one month. This is insane. What should I do for the second month pay $1500? Our world is crazy. Fortunately my G.I. doctor has given me some samples so I will try it. Thank you all of you for your comments.”

humbled September 21, 2010

Entocort EC (budesonide) for Crohn's Disease, Acute: “This medication worked great the first time I was diagnosed with Crohn's. No side effects that I noticed and started working very quickly. Several months later I had another flare and tried it again and it did not work for me. It was certainly worth a try to avoid the harmful side effects of other medications. I took this medicine along with Pentasa, which I use every day and still like.”

Sheila · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 21, 2020

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “I was put on this drug budesonide 6 weeks ago, cured my diarrhea from inflammatory bowel disease, but has caused easy bruising all over my arms and legs. Started with 3 pills a day, after 6 weeks, went to 2 pills a day for 2 weeks. Now 1 pill a day for the next 2 weeks, experiencing low mood, stomach cramps, figured its withdrawal”

Anonymous July 17, 2011

Entocort EC (budesonide) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “I've been taking Entocort for almost 3 months now. My symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease are almost non existent. However since taking this medicine (almost from the beginning) I now have psoriasis all over my body, including pustular psoriasis on my hands and feet, which is very painful. I believe this medicine is causing the psoriasis, I've never had this condition before.”

BP · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2019

Uceris (budesonide) for Ulcerative Colitis: “Went through months of bloody stools and frequent trips to bathroom with no output. Went to hospital for the 3rd colonoscopy in 5 years to find infection in rectum. They put me on Uceris foam, the first two weeks it didn't lead to much relief but around the end if the third week everything snapped into pace and the Uceris worked and everything seemed to go back to normal. Will see if this is permanent or just a temporary fix”

10yearsofIBS September 22, 2009

Entocort EC (budesonide) for Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “Reidcaro - Be careful. Less than 2 weeks time is not enough time to judge the results. Don't expect a cure of IBD. Look at yourself as managing it. Realizing this at the start may avoid a let down each time you change medicines.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2019

Uceris (budesonide) for Ulcerative Colitis, Active: “I didn’t notice a difference until the 5th week on Uceris. My symptoms finally went away and it looked like I was heading into a remission after a year of an active flare. I finished my 6th week of meds and then stopped the foam (since I was prescribed the foam twice/day for 4 weeks and once/day for 2 wks). After one week off the med, symptoms returned. The dr has me taking it every other day now. My symptoms are gone. We will see if this is another bandaid or if I’m able to get into a healthy remission.”

Daltz · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2014

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease: “Have had collagenous colitis for a couple of years. I was in agony a week ago with a flare up but this saved me. I'm supposed to be on it for Six weeks - then off. Scared about that. This is NOT a cure- it's a bandaid - am on a special diet now and crossing my fingers.”

Ole John · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 22, 2014

Uceris (budesonide) for Ulcerative Colitis: “I have fought UC for three years. Taken several meds. Most work for two or three months, then I experience a flair. Uceris has placed me in remission for 6 months! Expensive? Yes, outrageous. When you have fought the battle I've been thru, expense is not the issue. What price being normal?”