User Reviews for Budesonide to treat Crohn's Disease

Also known as: Pulmicort Flexhaler, Uceris, Entocort EC, Pulmicort Respules Ortikos

Budesonide has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 12 ratings for the treatment of Crohn's Disease. 50% of those users who reviewed Budesonide reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Budesonide Rating Summary

6.2/10 average rating

Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Crohn's Disease.

Reviews for Budesonide

Cory · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 31, 2021

“Budesonide was not able to control my Crohn's flare and I had to move on to more powerful drugs. I noticed a slight improvement after 2 weeks, but it was never able to get me out of the flare. On a positive note, my only side effect was dry mouth. I'd say it's worth trying if you can get insurance to cover it since the side effects are minimal and it works well for some people.”

Birdman · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2020

“I have been on this medication for about 4 weeks now. I take 3 capsules of 3mg a day. I started feeling a little better after about a week and a half. I have not had any side effects, which is great! It has only helped very little though. I have a little less inflammation and no colon spasms, but I am still in pain. I will take it for one more month and see how it goes.”

Liv · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 22, 2020

“I’ve been taking 3 capsules of 3MG a day for 5 weeks to help manage my Crohn’s before taking a biological shot. So far I haven’t noticed any difference and it doesn’t seem to be helping. The side effects are starting to get bad. I’m getting dizzy all the time, and have started to get nauseous and even starting throwing up. I get daily headaches too (Calling my doctor soon to get off of it)”

Mr News · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 10, 2019

Entocort EC (budesonide): “Took Entocort as initial treatment for Crohn's in terminal ileum in 2004. I was only on it 3 months (tapering 9mg to 6mg to 3mg), and it worked well. Then, I was on Pentasa for 11 years, tapering slowly to zero. Crohn's symptoms came back wicked in Jan 2018, lost 43 lbs, and now have a 15cm stricture. Took Entocort again, for 7 months this time (2 mos @ 9mg, 2 mos @ 6mg, 3 mos @ 3mg), and again, it helped get the worst symptoms under control. Now living with the stricture, on 1gm of Pentasa daily. I'd say Entocort worked well for me, with minimal side effects. Some emotional lability, but that could be from any chronic illness. It's a useful drug for symptomatic treatment of mild-moderate Crohn's, and much safer than prednisone. I would be comfortable using a minimal dosage (3mg daily) for long-term maintenance, with calcium supplementation and periodic bone-density scans.”

Rebecca W. October 12, 2016

“I was diagnosed with Crohns disease. I have been taking this drug for about a month and feel like a new person. No flares. No diarrhea. No stomach pain. My doctor said this can be used a daily drug because of the reduction of use until it reaches the liver, and unlike other steriods, the side effects are minimal to none. I would recommend this to anyone suffering from mild to moderate Crohns.”

Brenda · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2020

“Budesonide worked so well on my Crohns by day 5 but side effect of the sore throat it gave me was not worth it. Each day after day 5 the sore throat got worse and worse and each day I felt like I had the flu. (I didn't have the flu or COVID -19) . My breath tasted like a dog poop in my mouth. Within a day of going off the Budesonide my sore throat was almost gone, by day 2 it was gone. I tried this twice and both time the same result. It was nice to be symptom free for a few days. For my Crohns issues I'd give this drug an 8”

phillycarole · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2017

Entocort EC (budesonide): “Budesonide helped well with my flare, but on the 3rd day I developed breathing issues, The 4th day is terrible and I am going to stop taking it because I have COPD and heart issues. Unfortunately I have similar problems with prednisone. I've had Crohn's Disease for 50 years.”

Billy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2020

“I’m currently on 9 mg budesonide daily - for Crohn's disease. 3 3mg capsules in the morning. Doesn’t seem to control the diarrhea issues as well as prednisone did but the side effects are far less and different. Head aches and a tingly pins and needles sensation on my back”

Loan Nguyen July 31, 2016

“After taking it for a week, I have diarrhoe and cramps, I take one in the morning before breakfast, one before lunch and one before dinner. I better take prednisone. Wondering how many days it takes effect for before that I had three week flare now 8 days it flares and it is expensive too.”

Anonymous August 17, 2011

Entocort EC (budesonide): “I've had Crohn's disease for 47 years. Entocort works great for calming acute symptoms in just a few days. I'm able to live a normal, pain free life with it. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.”

teachergirl April 10, 2010

Entocort EC (budesonide): “Entocort is used as a bridge therapy to settle severe flares. It brings almost complete relief within 2-3 days but it's just temporary as you can't stay on this drug for long periods of time.”

ladq January 12, 2014

Entocort EC (budesonide): “Stopped my Crohn's Disease flare up very quickly and rather effectively.”

Bun · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 30, 2018

Entocort EC (budesonide): “Entocort did nothing for me. No side effects, but no help at all. Really the most pointless pill I have ever taken.”

Learn more about Crohn's Disease