User Reviews for Baclofen

Also known as: Gablofen, Kemstro, Lioresal, Lioresal Intrathecal

Learn more about Baclofen.

Alcohol Withdrawal 38 reviews 19 medications

Muscle Twitching 2 reviews 2 medications

5.3
Summary of Baclofen reviews 177 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Baclofen

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "Baclofen saved my life. I was drinking 24/7 for ten years, up to four bottles of wine a day. I had tried everything to quit drinking. Then I read 'The end of my addiction' by Dr. Ameisen which started me on the road to sobriety. I had a lot of side effects and had to increase my Baclofen dose very, very slowly, but it worked! I am now totally free of any craving for alcohol. There is a new website with lots of good information at baclofentreatment.com. This was created by an emergency room physician that was treating her patients with Baclofen."

SoberBecauseOfBaclofen (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2016

For Muscle Spasm: "Fell and hurt my back 4 years ago. Suffered from Spasticity in my back, legs and neck ever since. Been taking 10 mg 3 times a day every since. To me this is one of those drugs that you really can't tell you are taking it until you run out. If for some reason I miss a dose I'm miserable. I'm not gonna say it removes all my pain, because it doesn't, but it does allow me to manage the pain I'm in better. The only side effect I noticed was when I first took it I had very vivid dreams for the first few weeks, but that went away quickly."

Meluivan (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2016

For Muscle Spasm: "Was actually put on this medication for hiccups and found that it had good muscle relaxer properties and also helped with mild anxiety."

sopranofan (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2016

For Muscle Spasm: "I was prescribed Baclofen for intermittent spasticity in my thoracic back. Also for neck, and low back spasms/nerve pain, but it's been the thoracic pain in the past 2 years that more often than not is at times literally unbearable. My thoracic back at it's best is constant aching/stabbing. Baclofen stinks, it makes me severely groggy, (but so do many medications) and no pain relief even having tried between low to high dosages. 1500 mgs of Methocarbomol before bed is an oldie but a goodie. It'll put me to sleep during the day too, but at least it works and doesn't have the bizarre loopy type side effects. However I DO NOT take it with any other medication that causes drowsiness, no narcotics, no alcohol etc..."

Lina17 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2016

For Muscle Spasm: "Was taking baclofen 20mg 3 times a day for cervical degenerative disc disease. I didn't think it really helped until I ran out, now I noticed that my neck hurts more and is stiffer. I moved out of state and now I don't qualify for insurance. I also had a hard time sleeping while taking it, but I also have insomnia so I can't say for sure if the baclofen was causing it or not. I just noticed a difference when I ran out."

Kansas62 August 22, 2016

For Spasticity: "I experienced severe breathing difficulties. If I hadn't had some salbutamol handy, I would most likely have gone into unconciousness. I have experienced fluid on the lung before & had to be taken to hospital by ambulance. Luckily I did have someone with me at the time who was able to call the ambulance when I passed out. I didn't regain conciousness until 5 hours later, waking in the emergency department of a hospital. Something I would not like to happen again."

Einir August 21, 2016

For Temporomandibular Joint Disorder: "I have managed TMJ for all of my adult life, but the last 2 years have been the worst. For nearly 18 months I was maxed out on naproxen to manage pain and still taking acetaminophen in between - and all that did was take the edge off the pain. I was still severely limited in what I could eat. Steroid injections did nothing. I was then prescribed 10mg of baclofen. That did nothing. But 20mg was a whole different story. It has now been 2 months, and I have stopped taking all pain medication completely! I can enjoy a range of foods again and no longer suffer from chronic pain. I am still awaiting a consult for surgery, but in the meantime baclofen has been a real game changer!!!"

DVRW August 1, 2016

Lioresal (baclofen) for Alcohol Withdrawal: "At 125 mg greatly helped reduce the craving but had to lower the dose due to side effects such as sleep apeneia and extreme tiredness. Currently in 60 mg . In conclusion it helped me a lot but I had severe side effects ."

xandecool (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2016

For Cervical Dystonia: "I have severe cervical dystonia. I was on Zanaflex for years. It helped reduce the amount of pain. Then my liver levels got high, Doctor took me off of Zanaflex. He prescribed Baclofen in its place. It's horrible. Doesn't help pain, stiffness, anything really. Huge disappointment."

EllieGirl270 June 10, 2016

For Cervical Dystonia: "Doesnt do much for the pain. Take 20 mg x2 per day. Helps with tight muscles."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "I wanted so badly to be cured but its not a cure. I'm still an alcoholic but it gave me severe depression. I'm back on antabuse. It works for me but my cravings are intense. I was sooooo hoping I could be normal. Fools gold"

Only Antabuse works May 29, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "I had been abusing alcohol for around 3 years when I landed myself in the hospital ED and the ED doctor prescribed me baclofen. I started on 40mg per day, and this was not enough as I relapsed several times. I am now on 150mg a day which is my perfect dose. I no longer crave alcohol like I used to, and my anxiety feels more under control. I have gone back to study and started to rebuild broken relationships. Baclofen has been my miracle drug!"

katie_2507 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2016

For Dystonia: "I have an undiagnosed muscular condition coupled with JRA and borderline personality disorder. I only just started baclofen a week ago, 10mg 3x a day. I don't think I've ever NOT felt pain-- it's amazing. My pain level was so high all the time and it helped with the overall/daily pain as well as the cramping. Only downsides being that I appear to have side effects like dizziness, confusion, balance problems, and worsening psychotic symptoms. I've experienced some low-level hallucinations/spatial distortions (floor looks like it's moving or the walls are breathing) which is more confusing that concerning. Only downsides to this medicine besides sleeping (which I love as an insomniac)!"

Jamie1803 May 13, 2016

For Muscle Spasm: "Was prescribed Baclofen 20 mg and allowed to take one half to one pill per night at bedtime. A few days ago I bent over and couldn't get back up. I am active, not old, and fit. Apparently I pinched/compressed a nerve(s) in my sacral area. I was taking methylcarbanal with little relief. My PCP have me a Toradal shot and Baclofen. Wow! Baclofen worked great but 20mg gave me a hang over the next morning (no headache). Woozy, drunk and floaty feeling. Decided it was best not to drive and stayed home. While I am grateful the Baclofen worked I will be taking 10mg from now on when needed. 20mg is just too strong for me at 5'8 and 140lbs."

MayMayinTexas (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "My belief is baclofen is finally the cure for alcoholism. My Dr. put me on Baclofen, 40 mg, then upped with 20 mg more if I needed. I drink exactly 16 ozs. of Coors Lite daily, and no desire to drink more. No cravings! As a young man I used LSD for religious awareness. Baclofen has the same effects as LSD as you are "coming on" to it. Mild hallucinations, dryness of mouth, slight irritability, hyper hearing, smelling and thoughts. Also weakness of muscles, and drowsiness. I fight the drowsiness with caffeine. I continue my normal activity regardless of weakness, leading to unusual muscle tone with everyday activity. I am a 62 yr. old man with six-pack abs. THANKS BAC AND MY DR.!!"

Jbird Fish May 11, 2016

For Muscle Spasm: "I have use Baclofen for some time now but have only in the last 2 to 3 months started to have side effects such a hallucinations, and seeing and hearing things that are not there. I also take Requip which also give almost the same side effects. I also take coumidin(Warfarin)"

George Johnston May 6, 2016

For Muscle Spasm: "Was given this drug as opposed to soma. Started taking 20mg 4x a day. That was on a Thursday evening by Friday night I was not making any sense. My husband finally rushed me in to the er when I couldn't answer questions and would only answer in a single word. I was dizzy, lightheaded, nauseous, vomiting, dry mouth, at one point I was doing stuff in the middle of the night. I was hospitalized until things resolved"

Kimkim36 April 26, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I want to advise people that yes this drug works to help reduce migraines and muscle spasms. However, I feel obligated to advise you that if you use this drug even in small doses on a daily basis you may/will have some severe withdrawal symptoms (ie depression, insomnia, nausea, more spasticity, mood swings, hallucinations, and more ). The sad part is doctors love prescribing drugs to medicate but so often do not give you the whole picture, I was not advised of the withdrawal symptoms even after weaning myself of of this drug. Please do your research before taking ANY drug."

hopethishelps2016 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I have had horrible daily migraines along with neck pain and a doctor prescribed 10mg 3x a day or as needed. It doesn't work every time but it has been so far the most effective for me personally. Compared to the other drugs I have been prescribed, this has the least amount of side effects. The neurologist was surprised this drug was effective for my headaches."

Jelly2016 April 18, 2016

For Muscle Spasm: "I had a spinal fusion on July 2015 n have had extreme nerve issues since then n numbness on my left side. I have been on everything woth no relief. Tried Baclofen 10 ml 3x day. Had some pain relief 1st day..since then nothing but very sleepy. Why would work on 1st day then nothing??"

jonic (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "Thanks to all for writing there comments..I am now starting baclofen to get me over the last hump to stop drinking so I can start treatment for my Hep C.I am down to two beers a day, but somedays are not so good. Needed something for the cravings which were driving me nuts. I hope I have good luck!"

jabria (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

For Muscle Spasm: "Helps with stiff and hurting muscles due to ms"

daisy dukes March 27, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "Baclofen has saved my life, I take 80mg per day at intervals. I still have a lot of bridges to mend and that will take time. I am a 48 year old woman who self medicated with alcohol for depression and anxiety. This is the first time in over 15 years that I can feel comfortable in myself without having to numb off with alcohol. I am so looking forward to getting to know the real me. No binges and no cravings."

Guilio March 8, 2016

For Alcohol Withdrawal: "Went cold turkey with Baclofen and a couple of other medications prescribed by a specialist medication, addiction doctor. Managed to hold the cravings at bay really well with 20 mg per day for 10 weeks (longest stint for 30 years!). Then, had a drink and went back to normal use (around 15-20 standard drinks per day) very quickly. After a year asked the same doctor if I could up my medication by myself whist drinking until the cravings disappeared - he was happy with this. Upped the meds by 10 mg per week (Baclofen only) and then when on 80 mg per day started having mild hallucinations and could not stop a dry mouth and constant coughing (very violent coughing fits). Stop the meds very quickly and took many many months to feel normal."

Captain Frustrated (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2016

For Muscle Spasm: "I've got Arthritis in my hips and legs and about two months ago I was switched to this from flexarell because it stopped working, well baclofen doesn't seem to help either been in bed for 2 days and can't sleep or even lift my new born grandchild. I've pulled a muscle in my lower back now and in so much pain"

Prell (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2016