User Reviews for OnabotulinumtoxinA

Also known as: Botox, Botox Cosmetic

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about OnabotulinumtoxinA.

Strabismus

Chronic Spasticity
5.5

Summary of OnabotulinumtoxinA reviews 7.2 229 reviews

Reviews for OnabotulinumtoxinA

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Urinary Incontinence: "First, let me state that all of us need to be our own advocates and educate ourselves regarding this procedure. Don't just go by what the doctor says. Read the literature, the research, and make an informed decision. I have MS, and had bladder problems (Neurogenic Bladder ) for over 20 years. I tried every single medication; nothing worked. Acupuncture didn't help. My Dr. and I discussed Botox. This was my choice: Office (local) or hospital (general) anesthetic? General. It was great. Total time under? 11 minutes.The NEXT DAY MY INCONTINENCE WAS GONE!!! No self-cath. No UTIs. No pads. Slept through the night! I had it in April. I would have had 2nd injection, but have had a bad cold and chest infection. Wearing off slowly, but need next one. Love it!"

Kat Meow (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Cervical Dystonia: "I suffered for years from neck pain thinking I had problems with a disc. Three years ago I developed a tremor in my head, a no-no type of movement. My PCP said I had essential tremor so again I put off going to a doc who knew what he was talking about. I decided suddenly to see a neurologist and so thankful I did. Diagnosed properly and then the Botox which is wonderful. I would say the pain is gone 100% and doesn't even start to come back until about the tenth week after. Tremor has greatly decreased and I feel like myself again!!! Happy and so grateful."

janabanana123 November 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "I have IC of the bladder and it helped a bunch!!"

Susie Bouhaouli (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "I was very unsure about going ahead with this treatment, but nothing else had worked and have had OAB all my life. From the start of all the OAB treatments that failed and inconclusive results to my first 150ml injection was around 18 months. End of line treatment was Botox or acupuncture, so I opted for Botox. Well, it was definitely worth the wait and the procedure was very straightforward. Fully prepared with my chosen catheters ready to be used, I was pleasantly surprised to find I hardly used them. No UTIs, just a life changing feeling of no urgency. I've read some horror stories on here, maybe I'm lucky. Not getting up in the night anymore, no urgency, catheter free, it's the only treatment that's worked for me!"

Jms71 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "I had 200mg ( a large dose) of Botox injected into my Bladder in August 2017. I got an infection within days of having the procedure. I went straight into retention. It has now been about 12 weeks since the procedure. I am still having to use catheter and I am never free from infection. I have spent nearly three weeks in hospital due to complications with UTI resulting in Kidney damage. I am on a very rare Antibiotic that my own GP and local chemist had not heard off. I truly hope that this Antibiotic does the trick as I don't think that I am going to be able to cope with the outcome of the Botox injections for much longer. I wasn't given an Antibiotic after the procedure, the outcome may have been different if I had."

Littlev (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "I've had botox injections 5 times and would definitely recommend it. They say it lasts for 6/8 months but mine have lasted the longest being 2 years. I'm very pleased with the outcome of it, it has made a massive improvement in my life."

Nannies girl (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "I had Botox for an OAB. Before I had a terrible urge to go but I could not fully empty BUT I COULD GO ! The date is Oct in April it would have been three years since I had this done. At the beginning I was reluctant but my urologist recommended this. I was told I was going to have to be totally reliant of self catheterisation which I was ok. She did however say there are instances where the Botox would get rid of the urge but you would still be able to pee. A week after having Botox I have been 100% reliant on catheters. Without them I have urinary retention I cannot go at all. I feel totally let down by the medical profession and the company that makes this drug as they have washed their hands of me and the only suggestion is to have MORE Botox !"

Gray79 October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Cervical Dystonia: "I am about to get my second dose of Botox and very scared to do so. Three months ago I received my first dose. It was very painful and took 3 1/2 weeks for the pain to go away, the pain was very extreme. The Dr. said the shots were suppose to ease the pain, well that was not the case. He explained that the next round of shots might be worse since he knows I have bad reactions to it and asked me if I wanted to bare that pain. After reading reviews I decided to go ahead with the dose in November even though I am scared but according to y'all it only gets better. Hoping for the best."

Nitza October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Urinary Incontinence: "Originally I went to get botox for facial wrinkles on forehead, and at the time before injections, I noticed that I was going to the bathroom urinating more than usual. After three days with the botox injected to my forehead (25 units); I didn't have to run to the bathroom to urinate. This has been very good for me. I have been getting injections to face about every 5 months for the last 4 years."

Amatasa October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Migraine Prevention: "I had numerous set of 35 shots of Botox for headaches. Started with 100 units, then 150 units, then 200 units.This over a period of 1 and a half years. I had pain in my neck, shoulder and injection site pain, it did help with the headaches but didn't take away completely. So the doctor give me 300 units of Botox. That was biggest mistake of my life 7 hours later my head started feeling very weird, I started having bad anxiety. I called the doctor he said it had to run its 90 days then it would get better it's been almost 2 years. It isn't any better. I'm exhausted, the weird feeling and anxiety is worse I have no life. One Doctor at the ER told me the problems I'm having are definitely caused from the Botox. Do your research before you take Botox its ruined my life!!"

PDog777 October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "I've had bladder problems since the age of 13, got worse around 15 but could still go out even though I was using the toilet every couple of hours then at 18 I stopped leaving the house as it got so bad. I'm now 23. I had Botox in June and I can't wait for it to wear off. So ill all the time, feels as if I constantly need the toilet more that ever, pains in my bladder and sides, had to use a cath but can pee a little tiny bit. Was at the doctors on Thursday and he said I've got an bad infection that I've had for a while as there's blood in it. This Friday I go back to the hospital that I had Botox done for a check. I'm at my wits end, have no clue what to do anymore and I feel like I'm never going to get better"

Lou2345 September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Migraine: "I had 40+ injections of 200 units of Botox for migraine approximately two and a half weeks ago. The first few days were horrible, as they made my migraines worse. Now my migraines have reduced (which is awesome), but I have horrible pain in my arms and hands that I've never experienced before. My forearm muscles won't flex, so somehow the toxin spread rather far away. My mouth is extremely dry as well and I have difficulty swallowing. The pain in my arms is unbearable at times. I do not recommend Botox at all, despite the reduction in migraines. I will never get this again. Also my face looks completely foreign to me and I'm embarrassed to be in public or make eye contact with anyone."

JacquelineL September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Migraine Prevention: "I had botox May 25, 2017 for migraines. Woke up the next day with severe neck pain. Its Sept 3, 2017 and my neck is still hurting. I can't look down, turn my neck, read, clean my own house. I'm spending most of the day in bed. My life is ruined due to botox for migraines. I've had so many problems and I never was told about this side effect. It is not worth the risk. I wish I had known about this. The pain is horrible!"

SorryIhadbotox September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "I have had overactive bladder for many years and have found Botox to be a life changer. It has made a big difference to my quality of life, although I am still wearing protection at night. The only down side is having to wait so long for repeated treatment when the effects wear off as symptoms seem to come back with a vengeance. For me it lasts for about 4 months. Yeah I have to self catheterise but I don't think that is much of a problem. Can't wait for my next dose as I have frequent accident without it."

Col69 September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "Let's just say LIFE CHANGING!! Good bye pads - hello active lifestyle! I've had this procedure twice and am excited to be going for the third time tomorrow! I have a great doctor who has been with me every step of the way since I asked him about it in 2015. It sounds like I'm one of the lucky ones - besides pain/cramping during urination that first day (which Ibuprofen helps!), and a couple of UTIs shortly after each procedure, I've suffered no ill-effects, but have experienced a dramatic improvement in all issues I've had with painful urges, frequency, and leakage. Mine lasted a full year each time before I noticed any degradation, and it was almost 18 months before I was 100% back to the old symptoms."

lrz August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Cervical Dystonia: "I have been receiving Botox injections every 3 months for the past 2 yrs. The injections have helped my cervical dystonia pain & muscle twitching."

CCI (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Migraine Prevention: "Very excellent experience with relief from migraine upon wakening lasting up to thirteen days at a time. I have had no migraines after the botox started working three days after injections. I do have neck soreness which is lessening as the days go by. I am on my first round and will try it again in three months."

The migraine artist August 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Migraine Prevention: "I was diagnosed with status migrainosis in November 2016. I tried an SNRI anti-depressant and have had two rounds of Botox. I can say neither have been effective. The only effect from Botox I've noticed has been the tight band around my head in the first dose of shots and then increased soreness in neck and shoulders in second lot. And I had to skip out of work yesterday because my eyeball and side of head hurt so freakin' much - two weeks out from the second round of Botox treatment. I do not recommend. My migraines are likely hormonal in nature and I have epilepsy. While that is controlled, it leaves me with few options. Loathe to try anti-convulsants as it might muck up my brain in worse ways. Yes, there are worse states to be in."

Mollymigraine (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "@Colbak - I too had the sling surgery. It took care of the laughing, coughing, etc. accidents. I had difficulty emptying my bladder. I couldn't sit to urinate, I had to squat like a linebacker. I had to go pee every 30 minutes. And when I had to go, I went from no urge to running and barely getting my pants down. My urologist said that I could a. Have the injection. b. Have bladder snipped to "undo" the surgery. Or c. Go to a dr. in Pittsburgh (close to me) and have a pacemaker type device put in. I got the injection a little over a week ago. The first day I was really crampy. Now, I can't fully empty and its getting worse everyday. I thought it was a UTI ,but now I have to self cath. I also go (trickle) every 15 min. Grrr! Hope this helps!"

GeckoLane July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "This is my last post as I am finally able to empty my bladder after having to self-cath every 4-5 hours for 6 months! I will never do Botox again for OAB."

RB2020 July 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "I had 200 units of BOTOX injected into my bladder 4/52. Worse decision ever! I struggled to pee on the first night and requested an indwelling catheter to be able to rest. On discharge I could void a little, but not too well. By the following week the retention was so uncomfy I went to the GP who sent me for a scan. I was retaining 380ml. Drained bladder and showed me how to self cath. I wasn't very successful. Had a day with Gyny and nurses following week and they ended up putting in an indwelling cath. Been weeks now. Had it out for 2 hours and retained 680ml I couldn't void. Awful awful feeling of being so •full• Huge regrets I took this route, 4.5 years post a TVT for stress + urge incontinence that didn't help."

SuzyR June 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Migraine Prevention: "Life-changing! With Botox my almost daily migraines are well-controlled for 2-1/2 months of the three-month treatment period. If I do get a migraine, most of the time ibuprofen is all I need. Before Botox, ibuprofen would do nothing."

mmm69 June 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Dystonia: "I have adult onset generalized dystonia. I receive approx. 50 injections every 10 weeks. The injections start at the bottom of my feet and end at the top of my head. I have constant migraines and noises in my head. The botox really helps the spasms and cramps. The migraines and noises are kept to a minimum with the botox. It has been a godsend."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "An update from my post on March 7- I still cannot empty my bladder and have to self-cath. The Botox treatment was December 21, so now it has been five months! I am beyond frustrated! I have no idea when and if my bladder will ever be normal again."

RB2020 May 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "First had Botox injections March of 2016. Doctor stated it would last six to nine months. Lasted 13 months and no side effects. Last week had my second injection as an outpatient. Took about five days to have me back to normal. Best choice I made for my OAB. No problems at this time and hoping it last at least nine months."

BK May 20, 2017