User Reviews for OnabotulinumtoxinA

Chronic Spasticity
5.5

Summary of OnabotulinumtoxinA reviews 6.5 247 reviews

Reviews for OnabotulinumtoxinA

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Migraine Prevention: "Had migraines for 20 years and used botox for about 11 times now. At first seemed to really help but wore off after 2 months. Now I am having ear problems, dizziness and severe pain on side of head and neck. I think I am going to stop botox treatment."

Sassy 35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 17, 2018

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Migraine Prevention: "Before Botox, I would get around 17-23 migraines a month. Not headaches, but true migraines where you vomit, and can’t function. The Botox shots worked great for preventing migraines and reducing pain. I went from 17 to 2 migraines a month, it was incredible! At first, it was the best thing that ever happened to me, but unfortunately, the crippling cost and intense side effect pain made me stop. It began positive, and slowly grew into a big negative. The side effects from Botox were manageable, but after two years, they grew to be unbearable. I started getting intense, massive knots in my neck, jaw, and shoulders that weekly massages and muscle relaxers couldn’t alleviate. It became a terrible chronic pain and because of the $1,500 out of pocket cost for 200 units every three months (with health insurance covering the rest) it just wasn’t a long-term option. We reduced the units, but the damage was done. If you're seriously considering Botox, try it for a year and see!"

Cassie (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2018

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Cervical Dystonia: "Recently diagnosed with Cervical Dystonia (CD) and occipital neuralgia. Neck pain right side, shoulder spasms, 11 months. Headaches eight months. Pre-botox: PT, acupuncture, anti-inflammatories, nerve meds...steroid injections, ablation, cranio sacral, osteopath. No relief. Two weeks ago botox for both. Headaches disappeared immediately Neck pain unchanged. Wrong diagnosis? Sleeping better with headaches gone but still exhausted. Recently had annual physical. High blood calcium level wondering if that could be related to neck pain. Still too soon to tell but hoping botox will work. Don't want to wait for next round. Only negative side effect is weird sensation when I try to eat or lean forward. Like I have a two pound weight on back of my neck. Also, when I try to bring food to my mouth, subtle difficulty opening my jaw fully. No trouble swallowing. Anyone else have this?"

whatapainintheneck April 9, 2018

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Migraine Prevention: "I took Botox for migraines for 3 years, and I immediately notice neck pain and other adverse reactions after the first injections. My doctor told me that my neck pain was not due to the Botox so I continued usage. After years of unexplainable pain and seeing other doctors I discovered that my issues sounded like the horrific stories of other Botox users. I remember when I didn’t have neck pain, and it came to me that it all started around the Botox. It’s been 6 months since I had my last Botox treatment but I am still in pain. My CK levels are abnormally high due to the muscle damage caused in my neck to Botox. I have trouble sleeping, and doing just about any other task, and lately my muscles in my neck and face are uncontrollably twitching. I don’t know where to turn to."

Fighter April 4, 2018

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Cervical Dystonia: "I have cervical dystonia and received Botox every 3 months for 3 years. The worst side effects were: intense pain in the injected muscles, head drop, and mild dysphagia. I didn't have the side effects after every series of shots, only some. My doctor also said there should be no pain with Botox, I think the Botox company needs to do some additional research about the side effect of pain, because most of the posters here have complained about it. The head drop I had after many of the shots, and had to put my hand under my chin when I was walking to keep my head up. My doctor managed to get it perfect (with little to no side effects) maybe 4 times out of the 10-12 times I was injected. Then I went into remission for 4 years. Still had cervical dystonia, but I felt it was manageable. A good physical therapist can be an enormous help if you are diligent about doing the exercises. Now its back and I'm scheduled to receive Botox in a few weeks. I'm apprehensive....."

Pianiki (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 21, 2018

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Cervical Dystonia: "The key to getting the relief is both a good Doctor and patience in finding the correct amount needed. Nothing will be perfect but the injections provide the only sensible way to cope."

Jerry P. (taken for 10 years or more) March 20, 2018

For Facial Wrinkles: "At age 62, I had Botox injections to remove the 11s between my eyebrows, bunny lines at the bridge of my nose , crows feet and forehead lines. Initially, I was very happy with the results until a few weeks after, I experienced severe dry eye to the point that I couldn't even cry tears. This also led to chronic blepharitis which caused extreme eyelid pain almost 24/7. Luckily, the dry eye disappeared once the Botox wore off, however, not the blepharitis. After seeing three eye specialists with no results, I eventually found a doctor who prescribed an eyelid spray called, Avenova which finally gave me relief. I will most likely have to use this medication for the rest of my life. I will never get Botox injections again."

Daniella (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Migraine Prevention: "Absolutely terrible. Has had no effect or positive impact on preventing my chronic migraines. Awful side effects no one warned me about: extreme hair loss (it falls out in clumps), constant nausea, hot flashes, depression & lack of energy.. just to name a few. I’m 23 and have never felt worse. Highly recommend A DIFFERENT TREATMENT."

Aj2240 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2018

Botox Cosmetic (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Facial Wrinkles: "Had botox 4 facial wrinkles & I am 60. Pleased w/results pertaining 2 my forehead, between eyes & crow's feet but wrinkles r very fine.W rinkles around my mouth r fine & also have very deep lines in this area. Apprehensive about amount suggested 2 be injected around mouth, 40 units, so I asked for 20 units around mouth, I feared the suggested amount would cause paralysis.I did see a subtle difference in fine lines around my mouth & noticed my upper lip was more defined, deep wrinkles remained .Quick procedure, no side effects, a sting around mouth & crow's feet & no recovery time.Took about 7 days 2 c any results & 14-16 days 2 c full effect. Procedure done 10/29/17 & began noticing fine lines returning the end of 02/18. After in-depth reading I will discuss a filler around my mouth & will cont. w/botox for fine lines on forehead, between eyes & crow's feet.Pleased w/my experience yet skeptical of to many units around my mouth causing paralysis/one sided upper lip droop."

Mindy March 8, 2018

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Migraine Prevention: "I had about five partial rounds of Botox. The first 2 helped me go from chronic to frequent episodic, then no benefit for 3 rounds all likely at 100. Took a break and HA worse.Then I had a round from well-known headache/pain clinic and found that I had not been getting standard protocol before. Got about 1/2 my normal headaches so very happy. As that wore off, I went back to the clinic. A different Dr. asked me where the headaches hurt and was trying to customize injections and he also told me he was giving me extra--I assume that means 200 since before I had 150. 2 days after that, I have had migraine just about every day for last 10 days-I knew there were risks but did not realize I could cause more migraine than I had before. Hope this is just the med waiting to kick in but very concerned"

mo (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 7, 2018

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "I have been getting Botox injections for 6 years now. I react differently almost every time. Sometimes it lasts a year or so, and other times only 6 months. I've had to use catheters for up to 4 months after, other times not at all. I always end up with infections though but that is normal for me anyways. All I do know is that no matter what, it's always worth it!!! I will ALWAYS pick any single side effect that happens to me over peeing uncontrollably all over myself! These injections have changed my life and I an truly grateful "

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 6, 2018

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "Many more trips ro bathroom with very little output. Gained 6 pound this week. Lots of urges with little or no pee. ???"

Papa (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2018

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "Best treatment I've had. I thought my active life was over. After several years of misery, missing out, avoiding people and feeling unclean, I have got my life back."

Lady Vics (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 20, 2018

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "Three hours in hospital for injection, $2,650.00,doctor bill $249.00. Results: I used to get up 4 1/4 times a night, now it's 5 or 6, one night 9. The urge to pee is so strong that it leaks before I reach a urinal and I can't hold it back. Usually the urge to pee is so strong, I hurry to the toilet and nothing comes except pain in my penis. Many times when I do pee it burns. I just can't wait for the Botox to wear out. ."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2018

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Migraine Prevention: "I have had migraines for 25 years. With treatment, I still average 10 per month. I'm in year 2 of Botox injections. First injection knocked me down with severe flu like symptoms, vomiting and severe pain at every injection site. Horrible. Each round of injections brings different symptoms which makes me believe the Botox itself is inconsistent. Last 2 rounds, I now have non healing deep lesions between my eyes , continued areas of peeling that feel like Burns and a lot of painful facial neuralgias. My lips, and chin are often numb. Also having peripheral neuropathy which my doctor cannot determine a cause. My treatments are on hold until I see a dermatologist and my neurologist."

Abbycat1 January 26, 2018

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Migraine Prevention: "I could write a book on my experience with migraines and treatments I’ve tried (literally everything no exaggeration). I’ve had migraines for 27 years, topping out about 4 years ago with 4-7 migraines a week - disabling pain. Two years ago I started Botox injections and it literally saved me. I’m now down to about 3-5 a month (so from 20/month to 1/week on average). I very rarely need to be out of work or miss events now. I know some have had bad side effects, but personally mine are mild and in comparison to the relief, totally worth it. I 100% agree you need a skilled Neuro who does these injections all the time. For me, because of Botox, I am finally feeling well and active in my life."

Nickname is already in use (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 24, 2017

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Migraine Prevention: "I've had three rounds of botox now for my migraines (around the scalp, forehead and neck). The first 2 left me with little to no side effects. The 3rd time has been horrible, I will NEVER do it again. I feel very confident in my neurologist, I don't believe she performed the injections differently - but upon leaving the appointment I immediately broke down sobbing in my car because of the pain. I am now 17 days in and I have had a headache every single day all day long. My eyes physically hurt to be open, and I am even more sensitive to light and sound than I ever have been with my common migraine. I've been given a prednisone burst and it still hasn't helped. I'm worried that the next 4 months of my life are ruined."

Madeline868 December 21, 2017

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Migraine Prevention: "I was on several medications; and at one point a narcotic pain killer. Then a pain Dr. suggested botox injections as I expressed concern about taking the narcotic. OMG! After a week, the migraines were gone...every now and then one or two brief episodes come and go almost immediately. Today I went for my second round and Dr says we'll continue every 12 weeks-also doing MMB (?) in a surgical procedure room which are additional injections...but overall, I couldnt be happier! I am MIGRAINE FREE!!!"

jcpjr December 14, 2017

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Urinary Incontinence: "First, let me state that all of us need to be our own advocates and educate ourselves regarding this procedure. Don't just go by what the doctor says. Read the literature, the research, and make an informed decision. I have MS, and had bladder problems (Neurogenic Bladder ) for over 20 years. I tried every single medication; nothing worked. Acupuncture didn't help. My Dr. and I discussed Botox. This was my choice: Office (local) or hospital (general) anesthetic? General. It was great. Total time under? 11 minutes.The NEXT DAY MY INCONTINENCE WAS GONE!!! No self-cath. No UTIs. No pads. Slept through the night! I had it in April. I would have had 2nd injection, but have had a bad cold and chest infection. Wearing off slowly, but need next one. Love it!"

Kat Meow (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2017

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Cervical Dystonia: "I suffered for years from neck pain thinking I had problems with a disc. Three years ago I developed a tremor in my head, a no-no type of movement. My PCP said I had essential tremor so again I put off going to a doc who knew what he was talking about. I decided suddenly to see a neurologist and so thankful I did. Diagnosed properly and then the Botox which is wonderful. I would say the pain is gone 100% and doesn't even start to come back until about the tenth week after. Tremor has greatly decreased and I feel like myself again!!! Happy and so grateful."

janabanana123 November 25, 2017

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "I have IC of the bladder and it helped a bunch!!"

Susie Bouhaouli (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "I was very unsure about going ahead with this treatment, but nothing else had worked and have had OAB all my life. From the start of all the OAB treatments that failed and inconclusive results to my first 150ml injection was around 18 months. End of line treatment was Botox or acupuncture, so I opted for Botox. Well, it was definitely worth the wait and the procedure was very straightforward. Fully prepared with my chosen catheters ready to be used, I was pleasantly surprised to find I hardly used them. No UTIs, just a life changing feeling of no urgency. I've read some horror stories on here, maybe I'm lucky. Not getting up in the night anymore, no urgency, catheter free, it's the only treatment that's worked for me!"

Jms71 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2017

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "I had 200mg ( a large dose) of Botox injected into my Bladder in August 2017. I got an infection within days of having the procedure. I went straight into retention. It has now been about 12 weeks since the procedure. I am still having to use catheter and I am never free from infection. I have spent nearly three weeks in hospital due to complications with UTI resulting in Kidney damage. I am on a very rare Antibiotic that my own GP and local chemist had not heard off. I truly hope that this Antibiotic does the trick as I don't think that I am going to be able to cope with the outcome of the Botox injections for much longer. I wasn't given an Antibiotic after the procedure, the outcome may have been different if I had."

Littlev (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 17, 2017

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "I've had botox injections 5 times and would definitely recommend it. They say it lasts for 6/8 months but mine have lasted the longest being 2 years. I'm very pleased with the outcome of it, it has made a massive improvement in my life."

Nannies girl (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 16, 2017

Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA) for Overactive Bladder: "I had Botox for an OAB. Before I had a terrible urge to go but I could not fully empty BUT I COULD GO ! The date is Oct in April it would have been three years since I had this done. At the beginning I was reluctant but my urologist recommended this. I was told I was going to have to be totally reliant of self catheterisation which I was ok. She did however say there are instances where the Botox would get rid of the urge but you would still be able to pee. A week after having Botox I have been 100% reliant on catheters. Without them I have urinary retention I cannot go at all. I feel totally let down by the medical profession and the company that makes this drug as they have washed their hands of me and the only suggestion is to have MORE Botox !"

Gray79 October 8, 2017