User Reviews for Baclofen

Also known as: Gablofen, Kemstro, Lioresal, Lioresal Intrathecal

Learn more about Baclofen.

Baclofen Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal.

Reviews for Baclofen to treat Alcohol Withdrawal

"My doctor prescribed this medication, along with 2 others I believe for opiate withdrawal. I'd have to say the combo of the 3 really did help & made life easier. She had me on the Baclofen for the muscle aches & pains, especially the lower back pain I would get. I would definitely recommend this to other addicts for withdrawal."

Jkeith1222 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been a rather severe alcoholic for about 6 years. Owning a bar, I would drink in public about 8-10 beers and then disappear with a bottle of vodka. This continued for years until I took igoba, which helped tremendously, but I eventually went back to drinking more heavily as I started a brewery, oops, bad life choice for an alcoholic. Not having the time to visit an iboga clinic and working 16 hour days hung over I decided to give baclofen a try, at 120 mg I hit a "honeymoon" period and didn't drink for a week. It came back with a vengeance and had to keep upping my dose. Currently at 180 mgs, not drinking but don't think I am there yet. Side are horrible btw. Slowly abating. All I can say is stick with it, the stuff works."

Phat Rooster June 3, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Drank a half bottle of vodka a day, 35 years old, drank for 1 year straight.. Took baclofen 60 mg a day at night, 2 weeks in. All of a sudden, urge and cravings are now finally going away. I have to almost make myself drink. Because I'm so used to a buzz, I'm 2 days into it working finally and have had maybe 4 shots. Compared to half a fifth daily.. Thank you baclofen"

Melanie1qqqqq May 29, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Self medicating for severe depression for around 20 years. The alcohol was inhibiting my antidepressants and making my depression worse. I lost my partner, my work, my hamster (stayed with my partner). Anyway, I have been on baclofen for about three months. As I hit 90mg a day about a week ago, my cravings suddenly vanished. I've gone from 2/3 bottles of wine a day, at the expense of anything, to no alcohol. No desire, gone. It doesn't even cross my mind. I never thought this would happen. Early days yet, so I have side effects- drowsiness and clumsiness. I am assured these will pass, and are tolerable in any case. As a bonus, this drug is generic so for 100 10mg tablets is about £5."

Pupperino (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After 35 years drinking so heavily my liver and kidneys packed up, continued to drink and tried several medications including a whole list of antidepressants, I was finally given a last option of trying Baclofen. It has completely changed my life and my families. Not only have I stopped drinking completely, I have no interest in it, but my anxiety has gone and my mood is stable and mostly upbeat. In my experience, if you are given the chance of Baclofen, grab it."

Lucys-lot April 20, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The guy who posted earlier said it well. I used a very high dose of alprazolam for 2 years. Baclofen saved me time and pain from Alprazolam withdrawal. Not sure why Xanax withdrawal treatments aren't incorporating Baclofen."

Xanax withdrawals (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine is one of the best things that ever happened to me. It helped me regain my life, drastically cut back alcohol and eliminate my panic attacks."

Meme070712 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 18, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I drank heavily for 26 years. In a drunken stupor, I called my sibling one evening, and told her I was at my wits end, and needed help for my alcoholism. I didn't recall our conversation the next morning, but regrettably, (at least that morning) I let my dirty little secret out of the bag, and she wasn't willing to continue watching me kill myself; so, I relunctantly agreed to get help. Ugh! What a mess I was! I wasn't even this rehab because I truly wanted to be. I felt so alone and scared. I was certain I would relapse as soon as I got out of there. But! the doctor there placed me on baclofen for a muscle disorder I have, so trust me, this was not a pseudo effect for me! It's been 2 years, and I'm still sober!!!"

Back Lo Fan! December 23, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had tried to quit drinking with no success. I'm sure I had tried this 30-40 times since my early 20's. I'm now 35. I have wrecked my life. The last time I tried to stop was 3 months ago. I was having the usual problems of not being able to sleep. Several times while trying to quit drinking I would go four to five days without sleep. I would have auditory hallucinations. I would hear music playing sadley in the background but there would be no actual music playing. This happened on several occassions while trying to quit. Sleep deprivation was really a scary thing for me so I had a friend that had muscle relaxers and she gave me roughly 30 or so of them. I had never heard of Baclofen before ever. This was a random discovery for me"

Alex1250 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Side effects have been bad, considered stopping medication, but persevered! Three days ago, I started to be more clear headed, more optimistic and excited, as I believe this drug is working, beyond my expectations. Does anyone know if all of the side effects will stop, the longer I take it??"

Puffa (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Fantastic for Xanax Withdrawals. 12 years on Xanax, 4 months trying to come off. Worst 4 months of my life. Baclofen solved it overnight. Blurred vision & dizziness is a small price to pay. 90% of inpatient rehab industry could be replaced my Baclofen."

Bham,AL (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This works awesome and has taken away my alcohol cravings and allowed me to function with the need to drink. I first heard of the treatment in this podcast: http://www.radiolab.org/story/addiction/ I then did significant research, and found a local treatment group that was willing to take me and the Baclofen therapy on. Started at 10mg/day/week and increased 10mg/day/week. Continued to drink. Hit a wall at 200mg/day due to significant fatigue and quit drinking. (Ameisen's "trigger"). Reduced to 180mg/day and maintained for 30 days. Then reduced 10mg/week until cravings returned at 90mg. Now on a 100mg/day maintenance dose. Good protocol here: www.sciencedomain.org/download/MjQ1OUBAcGY.pdf"

WillyV October 12, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Baclofen saved my life. I was drinking 24/7 for ten years, up to four bottles of wine a day. I had tried everything to quit drinking. Then I read 'The end of my addiction' by Dr. Ameisen which started me on the road to sobriety. I had a lot of side effects and had to increase my Baclofen dose very, very slowly, but it worked! I am now totally free of any craving for alcohol. There is a new website with lots of good information at baclofentreatment.com. This was created by an emergency room physician that was treating her patients with Baclofen."

SoberBecauseOfBaclofen (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lioresal (baclofen): "At 125 mg greatly helped reduce the craving but had to lower the dose due to side effects such as sleep apeneia and extreme tiredness. Currently in 60 mg . In conclusion it helped me a lot but I had severe side effects ."

xandecool (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I wanted so badly to be cured but its not a cure. I'm still an alcoholic but it gave me severe depression. I'm back on antabuse. It works for me but my cravings are intense. I was sooooo hoping I could be normal. Fools gold"

Only Antabuse works May 29, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had been abusing alcohol for around 3 years when I landed myself in the hospital ED and the ED doctor prescribed me baclofen. I started on 40mg per day, and this was not enough as I relapsed several times. I am now on 150mg a day which is my perfect dose. I no longer crave alcohol like I used to, and my anxiety feels more under control. I have gone back to study and started to rebuild broken relationships. Baclofen has been my miracle drug!"

katie_2507 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My belief is baclofen is finally the cure for alcoholism. My Dr. put me on Baclofen, 40 mg, then upped with 20 mg more if I needed. I drink exactly 16 ozs. of Coors Lite daily, and no desire to drink more. No cravings! As a young man I used LSD for religious awareness. Baclofen has the same effects as LSD as you are "coming on" to it. Mild hallucinations, dryness of mouth, slight irritability, hyper hearing, smelling and thoughts. Also weakness of muscles, and drowsiness. I fight the drowsiness with caffeine. I continue my normal activity regardless of weakness, leading to unusual muscle tone with everyday activity. I am a 62 yr. old man with six-pack abs. THANKS BAC AND MY DR.!!"

Jbird Fish May 11, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Thanks to all for writing there comments..I am now starting baclofen to get me over the last hump to stop drinking so I can start treatment for my Hep C.I am down to two beers a day, but somedays are not so good. Needed something for the cravings which were driving me nuts. I hope I have good luck!"

jabria (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Baclofen has saved my life, I take 80mg per day at intervals. I still have a lot of bridges to mend and that will take time. I am a 48 year old woman who self medicated with alcohol for depression and anxiety. This is the first time in over 15 years that I can feel comfortable in myself without having to numb off with alcohol. I am so looking forward to getting to know the real me. No binges and no cravings."

Guilio March 8, 2016

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Went cold turkey with Baclofen and a couple of other medications prescribed by a specialist medication, addiction doctor. Managed to hold the cravings at bay really well with 20 mg per day for 10 weeks (longest stint for 30 years!). Then, had a drink and went back to normal use (around 15-20 standard drinks per day) very quickly. After a year asked the same doctor if I could up my medication by myself whist drinking until the cravings disappeared - he was happy with this. Upped the meds by 10 mg per week (Baclofen only) and then when on 80 mg per day started having mild hallucinations and could not stop a dry mouth and constant coughing (very violent coughing fits). Stop the meds very quickly and took many many months to feel normal."

Captain Frustrated (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Baclofen saved my life. I had been drinking and drugging and other addictions for thirty five years and after a few mos getting dosage correct w occasional relapse, I am now booze free. It is a miracle. You must fight through the side effects (sleepiness, lethargy, etc) as it will eventually work. I now take it five times/ day total 225mg but will slowly reduce now that have reached 'threshold' (Amiesen). I had tried years of AA, rehab, moving to alcohol free countries, yoga, meditation, extreme fitness routines, years of therapy; nothing worked. Several DUIs, lost jobs, marriages, relationships.. And then, Baclofen! Thank you Dr. Amiesen,, I love you!"

former drunk (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2016

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I hadvery unpleasant side-effects but persevered because I was desperate to stop drinking. Started on low dose Sept 2014 and built it up till I stopped drinking altogether - effortlessly - 11 Dec 2014. I have not taken Baclofen since then (though strongly advise to reduce dose gradually as withdrawal symptoms extremely unpleasant and dangerous) and have had no desire to drink since - just relief that I am free of this addiction! If this treatment could be recognised and prescribed in the UK it would save much suffering but it is a very powerful drug and should be used with care."

Dankbaarheid January 2, 2016

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Alcoholism - I was cured. I went up to 330mg per day. My maintenance dose is 180mg per day."

j victor martin (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 2, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Unbelievable this medicine changed my life, I've been struggling to get sober for the past three years, rehab after rehab, always thinking I can control it this time, or that some how this time will be different, I now celebrate 6 months of total SOBreity, I've seen reviews of people saying that it makes them drink normal and I am way to scared to try that, I've become to involved with AA to want to change my sober date. But who know maybe one day."

Joey kul December 21, 2015

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Immediately took away those out of control thoughts of must have a drink NOW. Am on 30mgs only at night. Has stopped me drinking 1- 2 bottles white wine every second day. Can choose to drink occasionally socially if I want. Clearer calmer mind and less general body aches and pains. No more need for daily panadol. My doctor is monitoring my progress closely and I am generally happier calmer and more confident in achieving a healthier lifestyle in time. It is all so amazing not to have to fight that craving which I always gave into to calm my mind. Giving into it would make me sick every day. No more drunk means no more sick hangover. Baclofen has released me from the "drink, repent, repeat" horrible cycle alcohol had me doing. Grateful."

pinkumbrella (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2015