User Reviews for Baclofen to treat Alcohol Withdrawal

Also known as: Lioresal, Gablofen, Lioresal Intrathecal, Ozobax

Baclofen Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal.

Reviews for Baclofen

Anonymous May 26, 2020

“I am taking baclofen have stopped craving alcohol for sometime now. I have side effects feeling tired, shortness of breath, seeing things, twitching etc. I’m so happy with the change in my life thanks to baclofen the side effects don’t even come close to the side effects of drinking. I am happy and life is amazing, best thing I’ve ever done and I am I in control of my life now. Amazing and life changing”

Acga · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2020

“Be very careful with baclofen - the side effects for me were awful. At 60 mg I was nauseous, dizzy, and felt like I was kind of losing my mind. It definitely took away cravings though, but so not worth it if you can’t even function, bed-ridden. I’m on Naltrexone now which seems to be working and there are no side-effects, so I’m going to stick with that and hope the “extinction” effect will help me control my drinking.”

Unhappy Customer · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 8, 2020

“Do not use baclofen! The potential for terrible side effects isn't worth it. Google the side effects for withdrawal, another user did a great job of explaining the insomnia and mental issues associated with this drug. I also hallucinated for days.”

manu · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2020

“I have alcohol habit since 17 years old ( now I am 57). Each day I used to drink two liters of beer or equivalent (wine, whiskey, vodka etc.) Each morning when I wake up I regret myself for the night that abuse alcohol. Alcohol was always my close friend and major staff at my whole life. I didn't think a life without alcohol was possible. I want to be sober at least one week before to be grandpa :)) In the end, I start to baclofen as 20 or 30mg. After one week, I am still thinking alcohol but don't want to drink like old days. I believe It works.”

Lifebacvictim · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2019

“Ordering and following the lifebac instructions formula, nearly the end of me! The absolute worst experience of my life! I had severe reactions that included mass insomnia, loss of appetite, lashing out at business partners, and ultimately lost all my connections and dreams at the time. I got drugged with this horrifyingly nasty medication! F-”

Barruk Hashem October 25, 2019

“Having Acquired brain injury (ABI) and P.T.S.D made my drinking behavior very destructive to self and others. Booze made my depression go for a few hours and made me feel happy again, but its short lived, because in the morning when you are dehydrated, the paranoia and agitation, twitching and moods are very bad. Then I would drink again to fix it. But this is all wrong for me and others. I think if that doctor had not given me Baclofen for my A.B.I. problems ten years ago, I would be dead by now. Now if I stop taking baclofen, the alcohol cravings return in a weeks, they are very over powering. If I crave alcohol now, it now means that I've forgotten to take my baclofen. End note, baclofen helped me stay a functional individual in society and a healthier War pensioner and Veteran. What a blessing. Lucky the War Pension pays for the medication too. ACE”

scottcavers9 · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2019

“I actually haven't used this medication but was wondering if you have to be sober when you start taking it. I've attempted to use revia (naltrexone) for alcohol abuse however the side effects were extremely intense which included severe weakness, dizziness and unbelievable negative and depressing thoughts. I want my alcohol cravings to go away as I fear the amount I drink on a daily basis just isn't close to being reasonable or healthy. I look forward to any info. thanks!”

Hope September 6, 2019

“I was prescribed 20 mg baclofen as needed 2 years ago for back pain (muscle spasms) and it works great for me for that purpose. I only needed it occasionally when my back pain would flair up.... Here’s the amazing part- I stopped drinking (again) 10 days ago. I started exercising more. I experienced some back pain. So, I took a baclofen once a day for 2-3 days. I realized with NO prompting whatsoever that my alcohol cravings mellowed substantially! I had never heard of that wonderful reaction until I googled it today. I am thrilled! I personally don’t need large doses. 20 mg once a day (at most) is effective for me. With the exception of a few breaks, I was consuming anywhere from 4-20 beers a day for 15 years.... binging for 2-3 days at a time, and drinking vodka for breakfast. Maybe you will have a good result with a small dosage. It is certainly worth trying.”

TexasJay7 July 10, 2019

“Baclofen saved my life and helped me successfully withdraw from benzodiazepines, opiates AND gabapentin. I am now 23 days clean from a 14-month 2 mg/day clonazepam habit. I rapidly tapered down to 0.5 mg for a few days and made the jump cold turkey. I think the more prudent thing to do here is a slow, longer taper, but I wanted to rip the band-aid off and start healing. For 2 weeks, I experienced a lot of bad symptoms. It was scary. But during this time, I took very high doses of Baclofen (up to 200 mg/day), and believe it or not, I actually got some sleep. In the beginning it was just cat naps, but gradually I slept more and more, and now I am sleeping 6-7 hours per night and have energy throughout the day. As a matter of fact, I'm exercising at the gym and even started martial arts! I am not going to say it was fun, but the Baclofen somehow kept the physical withdrawals in check long enough until the clouds broke...and the sun began to shine again. You can do it too!!!”

Benzofool · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2019

“Baclofen is amazing for benzo withdrawal. It simply removes all the anxiety and depression that comes with any benzo withdrawals. You need to get to at least 30-60mg though. Baclofen should revolutionise the benzo withdrawal or recovery treatment. Ask your doctor for some and free yourself from this nasty disease. I just fear the withdrawals now from baclofen but I’ve heard they are nowhere near as severe as coming off benzos”

gsfnw78 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2019

“After several trips to rehab and AA over 18 years, I discovered Baclofen for alcohol withdrawal and it works - it's changed my life. I had some success through traditional means but I always fell back because I never stopped craving alcohol. Thinking about drinking still made my brain "tickle" and anxiety kick in. After a short time taking baclofen I can say that it changed my brain, and I now have ZERO reaction to alcohol stimuli. I'm a free man, thanks to baclofen and my Doctor being willing to give it a chance!”

BigRav · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2019

“Just started Baclofen on Friday. Today is Monday. Will up to 20 mg and then 30 mg and on. I am praying that this works. At least, this site is fairly current. ”

Baclor · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2018

“I have been taking baclofen for 2 months and my anxiety for alcohol is less than when I was in 12 steps. I got sober for 3 years once but then the monster appeared again so I relapsed. But now I'm sober again and hoping it lasts ”

Chris · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2018

“This medication is just a wonder. I suffered from depression plus alcohol abuse 1l vodka day for a long time. My doc was willing to give me very high dose of baclofen. This is just a miracle... craving almost done... not even willing to get one tiny shoot of vodka just for the buzz. Depression gone too mood increases a lot and sociability never been so high. I do ponder why this drug is not used more for psychiatric disorder too ....”

Dora October 10, 2018

“Tried it for several months. As dose increased to 40, 40, 30, I experienced severe twitching one day which culminated in convulsions when asleep which I have never had before. It was terrifying. I had been following strict Dr's orders and increasing doses over long periods when symptoms lessened. I believe I experienced severe baclofen toxicity which if you research you will see that it is becoming a common life threatening side effect of high dose baclofen. I would not recommend this therapy. ”

Mammy69 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 4, 2018

“Baclofen has worked for me. I read “An End to My Addiction” by Dr Amieson. He used Baclofen as an alcohol anti-craving drug. Fascinating read.”

Melvo · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2018

“I have been a chronic alcoholic for 40 years eventually drinking 1 litre of bourbon every day for the last 4 years . It took my wife of 14 years to leave me before I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed me baclofen . Now after just 4 months I am no longer craving alcohol , my wife and I are reconciling and my whole life has seen a huge turn around. I feel extremely confident about not needing alcohol any more in my life and have baclofen and my psychiatrist to thank for saving not only my marriage but also my life. Thank you baclofen , " THE WONDER DRUG".”

systemlord · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2018

“My alcohol dependence started in my mid 30s and has lasted 10 years. I have been hospitalised several times due to it and I have managed to stay sober for good periods sometimes. But, as others have said, I always felt miserable when I was dry. Baclofen, in combination has changed my life, I now no longer crave alcohol and I feel as if my zest for life has returned. I just can't praise it enough. Go Baclofen!”

Sangias February 26, 2018

“I binge drank every night for 10 years. After 3 years of obsessive research into something that would help me into sobriety, and trying to convince Doctors that baclofen would work for me (I was at one point prescribed a small dose) - I had all but given up. I finally met a Psychiatrist that specializes in addiction. Without me even mentioning anything he told me he could cure me, and wrote me a prescription for Baclofen and B1 shots. Needless to say here I am a month and a half without a drink, and I feel enjoyment in things again. My anxiety is gone, my senses are back to normal, my circulation is normal, and my constant 'fight or flight' mechanism that I've had my entire life is turned off. I can hold a conversation with people without feeling the need to run away. I'm friendlier and more patient, happier and more calm. To call Baclofen a miracle drug would be an understatement. I am currently on 100mgs taken throughout the day.”

Dottiedsl44 December 28, 2017

“I started taking baclofen 7 years ago after being diagnosed with dystonia. After 6 months I lost all cravings for alcohol having been a bad alcoholic for over 20 years. I remain alcohol free to this day.”

Arowan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 28, 2017

“It’s been 7 months + now since I quit drinking and have been taking Baclofen and Campral for cravings with great results. I was drinking 1-2 bottles of wine a night and had tried to quit many many times - lasting from days to a few months. What is very different this time is I am not having to fight myself and constantly 'self- talk' - feel much calmer. I did try a higher dose for a short while (75 mg ) but had side effects i.e fatigue, swollen ankles and trouble with 'finding my words'. Now on 30mg (sometimes 20mg) and managing well. These meds have been a life saver for me.”

Daybreak1964 · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2017

“Hi all I'm new to this site, just wanted to say after drinking 2 bottles of wine a night I'm finally seeing a GP in Perth WA today who's prescribing be Baclofen, I'm super excited!! In most cases how soon does it start working (I know everyone is different) and if I only drink of a night time to I need take during the day too? Thanks”

fred mertz · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2017

“I have been drinking alcohol seriously for 40 years. I have stopped drinking before but always had cravings and eventually went back to drinking. This time I have not had cravings and don't even think about alcohol the majority of evenings. This has only been going a month now so take that into consideration. I read something about baclofen and alcohol withdrawal 2 days ago and recalled that my back doctor had given me a prescription for it and I have only taken it 2 or 3 times this month. I have been curious as to why I have not had any cravings. Perhaps it was the few Baclofen I have taken.”

Hypteronomachia August 4, 2017

“A slow descent into alcohol and cigarette addiction over twenty years finally had me in its grip last year. With too many near disasters to contemplate over the years and a denial system verging on insanity, I was given less than a year to live. From a bright, middle class male to an unshaven, stinking 8 stone mess, retching, panic attacks, barely able to stand up, hiding bottles, then not caring about hiding anything, alcohol had me. I had multiple seizures before Christmas and in front of my 'friends' was bundled off into an ambulance. I was told very firmly that these were the 'end days'. I had seen others around me die. I bought the book by Amiesen and took his advice. I am now teetotal, healthy and have no cravings. I am made new.”

Lucy's-lot · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 18, 2017

“After 30 years of addictions, mainly alcohol, I am finally free. Baclofen changed my life completely. The best part for me is it seemed to switch off the complulsion for it, easily with no fight or sense of loss.”

Learn more about Alcohol Withdrawal