User Reviews for Baclofen to treat Alcohol Withdrawal

Also known as: Lioresal, Gablofen, Lioresal Intrathecal, Ozobax

Baclofen has an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 from a total of 76 ratings for the treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal. 84% of those users who reviewed Baclofen reported a positive effect, while 8% reported a negative effect.

Baclofen Rating Summary

8.7/10 average rating

Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal.

Reviews for Baclofen

Roadrunner · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 24, 2020

“Hello Friends, I do believe that this baclofen is a game changer for alcohol problems! I have been on Baclofen for 6 months now and have gone from a bottle a day down to only a few mini bottles every few days. Sure I still have a beer or two in between but I feel so much better and get so much more done daily. When I first heard the ad on the radio I was all over it because of how much money I was spending at bars and on bottles daily. (about $300 just on the weekends). I recommend this to anyone that get anxiety from not having drinks especially if they go a day with out drinking. Give it some time and let it work and you will be just as happy as I am”

Courtney · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 17, 2020

“Severe alcoholism for over a decade. Tried everything to stop. Started to take this in the morning instead of the first drink. Reduced w/d symptoms: sweating, anxiety, obsessive thoughts about drinking, tachycardia. It took a a year or so of using baclofen while working hard to reduce drinking, but when I was ready, it gave me the ability to stop. It treated a host of related problems: panic, tremors from drinking for so long and the embarrassment that comes from that, balancing mood since it helped calm the mind, neuropathy from likely nerve damage, spasms, PTSD. Very dangerous to mix this with alcohol, so if you are not able to control yourself from mixing them to get an exaggerated alcohol effect, don't use it. I think the desire to quit or reduce was essential to its effectiveness. It worked for me the way naltrexone is supposed to. But without the anhedonia (inability to feel pleasure in normally pleasurable activities). I still get anhedonia occasionally, but on naltrexone, it was constant.”

Uniden · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2020

“I have been on Baclofen for 2 months now to help me stop drinking and started at 5mg and SLOWLY titrated up. I’m now on 60mg and have no desire to drink. If I’m at a social event I’ll have a glass of wine but I drink it very slowly and most of the time don’t finish it which was highly unusual for me. If I started a glass of wine I would always end up drinking 4 glasses. Baclofen is the best thing that ever happened to me.”

Hope September 6, 2019

“I was prescribed 20 mg baclofen as needed 2 years ago for back pain (muscle spasms) and it works great for me for that purpose. I only needed it occasionally when my back pain would flair up.... Here’s the amazing part- I stopped drinking (again) 10 days ago. I started exercising more. I experienced some back pain. So, I took a baclofen once a day for 2-3 days. I realized with NO prompting whatsoever that my alcohol cravings mellowed substantially! I had never heard of that wonderful reaction until I googled it today. I am thrilled! I personally don’t need large doses. 20 mg once a day (at most) is effective for me. With the exception of a few breaks, I was consuming anywhere from 4-20 beers a day for 15 years.... binging for 2-3 days at a time, and drinking vodka for breakfast. Maybe you will have a good result with a small dosage. It is certainly worth trying.”

TexasJay7 July 10, 2019

“Baclofen saved my life and helped me successfully withdraw from benzodiazepines, opiates AND gabapentin. I am now 23 days clean from a 14-month 2 mg/day clonazepam habit. I rapidly tapered down to 0.5 mg for a few days and made the jump cold turkey. I think the more prudent thing to do here is a slow, longer taper, but I wanted to rip the band-aid off and start healing. For 2 weeks, I experienced a lot of bad symptoms. It was scary. But during this time, I took very high doses of Baclofen (up to 200 mg/day), and believe it or not, I actually got some sleep. In the beginning it was just cat naps, but gradually I slept more and more, and now I am sleeping 6-7 hours per night and have energy throughout the day. As a matter of fact, I'm exercising at the gym and even started martial arts! I am not going to say it was fun, but the Baclofen somehow kept the physical withdrawals in check long enough until the clouds broke...and the sun began to shine again. You can do it too!!!”

Barruk Hashem October 25, 2019

“Having Acquired brain injury (ABI) and P.T.S.D made my drinking behavior very destructive to self and others. Booze made my depression go for a few hours and made me feel happy again, but its short lived, because in the morning when you are dehydrated, the paranoia and agitation, twitching and moods are very bad. Then I would drink again to fix it. But this is all wrong for me and others. I think if that doctor had not given me Baclofen for my A.B.I. problems ten years ago, I would be dead by now. Now if I stop taking baclofen, the alcohol cravings return in a weeks, they are very over powering. If I crave alcohol now, it now means that I've forgotten to take my baclofen. End note, baclofen helped me stay a functional individual in society and a healthier War pensioner and Veteran. What a blessing. Lucky the War Pension pays for the medication too. ACE”

Tyneparker · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 21, 2015

“After reading about the use of Baclofen to treat alcoholism, I asked my CPN if I could be treated with this drug. She referred me to the only psychiatrist/doctor in my county who was allowed to prescribe Baclofen for alcohol. After being an alcoholic for sixteen years, and having tried everything available to stop drinking, I can tell you that I have now been alcohol free for five and a half years. This is a miracle drug. What I find inexplicable, is the fact that only people who do their own research, find out about this drug, and have to ask for it. With alcoholism such a massive problem world-wide, why is this drug not the standard treatment. I fear the government stands to lose too much in taxes if people could stop drinking so easily.”

Anonymous May 26, 2020

“I am taking baclofen have stopped craving alcohol for sometime now. I have side effects feeling tired, shortness of breath, seeing things, twitching etc. I’m so happy with the change in my life thanks to baclofen the side effects don’t even come close to the side effects of drinking. I am happy and life is amazing, best thing I’ve ever done and I am I in control of my life now. Amazing and life changing”

gsfnw78 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2019

“After several trips to rehab and AA over 18 years, I discovered Baclofen for alcohol withdrawal and it works - it's changed my life. I had some success through traditional means but I always fell back because I never stopped craving alcohol. Thinking about drinking still made my brain "tickle" and anxiety kick in. After a short time taking baclofen I can say that it changed my brain, and I now have ZERO reaction to alcohol stimuli. I'm a free man, thanks to baclofen and my Doctor being willing to give it a chance!”

manu · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2020

“I have alcohol habit since 17 years old ( now I am 57). Each day I used to drink two liters of beer or equivalent (wine, whiskey, vodka etc.) Each morning when I wake up I regret myself for the night that abuse alcohol. Alcohol was always my close friend and major staff at my whole life. I didn't think a life without alcohol was possible. I want to be sober at least one week before to be grandpa :)) In the end, I start to baclofen as 20 or 30mg. After one week, I am still thinking alcohol but don't want to drink like old days. I believe It works.”

former drunk · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2016

“Baclofen saved my life. I had been drinking and drugging and other addictions for thirty five years and after a few mos getting dosage correct w occasional relapse, I am now booze free. It is a miracle. You must fight through the side effects (sleepiness, lethargy, etc) as it will eventually work. I now take it five times/ day total 225mg but will slowly reduce now that have reached 'threshold' (Amiesen). I had tried years of AA, rehab, moving to alcohol free countries, yoga, meditation, extreme fitness routines, years of therapy; nothing worked. Several DUIs, lost jobs, marriages, relationships.. And then, Baclofen! Thank you Dr. Amiesen,, I love you!”

BusyBuzzkill December 28, 2011

“I am in my late 30's and have struggled with alcohol since I was in high school. In one way or another, I can connect alcohol to every major problem I have had in my adult life. Whether it has been interpersonal, financial, legal, or health related - alcohol has been the source of my troubles all throughout my adult life. About one year ago I was prescribed Baclofen to help with my sciatica. Little did I know that this medicine is also prescribed for alcohol withdrawal. Without even being conscious of it, or putting in any effort into quitting drinking, I just stopped. The cravings just vanished and before I knew it I had gone a few weeks without a drop. I have been on it since and have never had a craving in all that time.”

Sangias February 26, 2018

“I binge drank every night for 10 years. After 3 years of obsessive research into something that would help me into sobriety, and trying to convince Doctors that baclofen would work for me (I was at one point prescribed a small dose) - I had all but given up. I finally met a Psychiatrist that specializes in addiction. Without me even mentioning anything he told me he could cure me, and wrote me a prescription for Baclofen and B1 shots. Needless to say here I am a month and a half without a drink, and I feel enjoyment in things again. My anxiety is gone, my senses are back to normal, my circulation is normal, and my constant 'fight or flight' mechanism that I've had my entire life is turned off. I can hold a conversation with people without feeling the need to run away. I'm friendlier and more patient, happier and more calm. To call Baclofen a miracle drug would be an understatement. I am currently on 100mgs taken throughout the day.”

Sue2014 January 4, 2015

“I've not drank alcohol for 4 days. I've have been drinking between 1.5 bottles to 2 bottles of wine for the past 1-2 years and finally decided to stop. I stopped three days ago and was worried I would have severe withdrawals however since taking Baclofen I have been absolutely fine (started on a dose of 10mg and gone up to 30mg but this depends on your dependency on alcohol). I have been thinking of alcohol lots which is expected but I'm been sleeping better than when I do drink (as I normally wake up at 3am with extreme anxiety or worries in my life) and now don't feel any anxiety. I'm determined to stay on this path and feel proud of myself already. I would recommend study on the web and look at all sorts of alternatives remedies.”

Retired Psychiatrist · Taken for 10 years or more December 8, 2014

“I had worked with Veterans who used to have back problems and had been on muscle relaxants. They had been using alcohol for years. I used to substitute the much stronger muscle relaxants with Baclofen with their Primary Care Doctors approval. Results were great! My patients had double benefts: back pain/ spasm control and Alcohol consumption control.Some of them stop drinking , other continued use alcohol socially without problems,discovering the life again. I am happy hearing that people find Baclofen being helpful. Good luck to guys. Merry Christmas and Happy 2015!”

Guilio March 8, 2016

“Baclofen has saved my life, I take 80mg per day at intervals. I still have a lot of bridges to mend and that will take time. I am a 48 year old woman who self medicated with alcohol for depression and anxiety. This is the first time in over 15 years that I can feel comfortable in myself without having to numb off with alcohol. I am so looking forward to getting to know the real me. No binges and no cravings.”

Melvo · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2018

“I have been a chronic alcoholic for 40 years eventually drinking 1 litre of bourbon every day for the last 4 years . It took my wife of 14 years to leave me before I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed me baclofen . Now after just 4 months I am no longer craving alcohol , my wife and I are reconciling and my whole life has seen a huge turn around. I feel extremely confident about not needing alcohol any more in my life and have baclofen and my psychiatrist to thank for saving not only my marriage but also my life. Thank you baclofen , " THE WONDER DRUG".”

Chris · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2018

“This medication is just a wonder. I suffered from depression plus alcohol abuse 1l vodka day for a long time. My doc was willing to give me very high dose of baclofen. This is just a miracle... craving almost done... not even willing to get one tiny shoot of vodka just for the buzz. Depression gone too mood increases a lot and sociability never been so high. I do ponder why this drug is not used more for psychiatric disorder too ....”

J_Nemo · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 7, 2014

“I have been fighting alcoholism since my early teens, detoxed by myself, and was dry for 12 years until last March. After two months of serious binge drinking, I ended up in A&E when I decided to detox once again without any suitable medication support. They provided me Diazepam and I cleaned up again, but it only lasted for three months. The vicious circle is much harder to break as you get older. However, now, on Baclofen, I feel a tremendous improvement and do not feel the urge to drink. Indeed, the medicine worked amazingly well from the very beginning of the treatment. However, do address underlying psychological issues, as the medicine is not a magic bullet.”

Jezza53 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2013

“I had been alcohol free for 4 months since I started taking baclofen. I have degenerative lumbar scoliosis and have other obsessions (shopping, etc.). I increased the dosage quite quickly to 90 mg but got euphoria even hypomania and enuresis (bed wetting)on 2 occasions which disturbed me. I have now reduced to 62.5mg. I am still alcohol free (attending 4AA meetings a week). My thoughts have slowed down, no enuresis now and absolutely NO anxiety, no back pain, no shopping. Still only sleeping 5 hours but very calm and alert.”

Hypteronomachia August 4, 2017

“A slow descent into alcohol and cigarette addiction over twenty years finally had me in its grip last year. With too many near disasters to contemplate over the years and a denial system verging on insanity, I was given less than a year to live. From a bright, middle class male to an unshaven, stinking 8 stone mess, retching, panic attacks, barely able to stand up, hiding bottles, then not caring about hiding anything, alcohol had me. I had multiple seizures before Christmas and in front of my 'friends' was bundled off into an ambulance. I was told very firmly that these were the 'end days'. I had seen others around me die. I bought the book by Amiesen and took his advice. I am now teetotal, healthy and have no cravings. I am made new.”

Lifebacvictim · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2019

“Ordering and following the lifebac instructions formula, nearly the end of me! The absolute worst experience of my life! I had severe reactions that included mass insomnia, loss of appetite, lashing out at business partners, and ultimately lost all my connections and dreams at the time. I got drugged with this horrifyingly nasty medication! F-”

pinkumbrella · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 3, 2015

“Immediately took away those out of control thoughts of must have a drink NOW. Am on 30mgs only at night. Has stopped me drinking 1- 2 bottles white wine every second day. Can choose to drink occasionally socially if I want. Clearer calmer mind and less general body aches and pains. No more need for daily panadol. My doctor is monitoring my progress closely and I am generally happier calmer and more confident in achieving a healthier lifestyle in time. It is all so amazing not to have to fight that craving which I always gave into to calm my mind. Giving into it would make me sick every day. No more drunk means no more sick hangover. Baclofen has released me from the "drink, repent, repeat" horrible cycle alcohol had me doing. Grateful.”

akogan April 8, 2013

“I was suffering from alcohol addiction all my adult life (I'm now 47) and in the last few years alcohol abuse increased to bottle of Scotch every day. It cost me my family (divorce) which I deeply regret every single day now. Finally I went to First Step Drug & Alcohol clinic with a little hope and Dr. J.G prescribe me Baclofen 10mg tablets once or twice a day. When I've looked up the dictionary where it says this medicine is used for sclerosis treatment only. But: Baclofen created a miracle: I went through pain of withdrawal with great ease and didn't have cravings and stop drinking. After few months I started drinking beer. I went to my GP and he refused to prescribe Baclofen to me on basis he knows nothing about Baclofen to help alcoholics.”

Anon77 March 30, 2015

“It's very strange feeling getting rid of craving so easy. For last 5 years I've tried different techniques to stop drinking. I drank 2 to 4 strong beers a day and I couldn't stop it for longer then few days. I'm still thinking about having a beer but ( I can't explain it ) but I just don't HAVE TO! I'm taking minimal dose 5mg x 3 per day and it's working. ONE IMPORTANT THING: You have to be willing to stop drinking.”

systemlord · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2018

“My alcohol dependence started in my mid 30s and has lasted 10 years. I have been hospitalised several times due to it and I have managed to stay sober for good periods sometimes. But, as others have said, I always felt miserable when I was dry. Baclofen, in combination has changed my life, I now no longer crave alcohol and I feel as if my zest for life has returned. I just can't praise it enough. Go Baclofen!”

scottcavers9 · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2019

“I actually haven't used this medication but was wondering if you have to be sober when you start taking it. I've attempted to use revia (naltrexone) for alcohol abuse however the side effects were extremely intense which included severe weakness, dizziness and unbelievable negative and depressing thoughts. I want my alcohol cravings to go away as I fear the amount I drink on a daily basis just isn't close to being reasonable or healthy. I look forward to any info. thanks!”

Arowan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 28, 2017

“It’s been 7 months + now since I quit drinking and have been taking Baclofen and Campral for cravings with great results. I was drinking 1-2 bottles of wine a night and had tried to quit many many times - lasting from days to a few months. What is very different this time is I am not having to fight myself and constantly 'self- talk' - feel much calmer. I did try a higher dose for a short while (75 mg ) but had side effects i.e fatigue, swollen ankles and trouble with 'finding my words'. Now on 30mg (sometimes 20mg) and managing well. These meds have been a life saver for me.”

Learn more about Alcohol Withdrawal