User Reviews for Baclofen

Also known as: Gablofen, Kemstro, Lioresal, Lioresal Intrathecal

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Baclofen.

Baclofen Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal.

Reviews for Baclofen to treat Alcohol Withdrawal

"I started taking baclofen 7 years ago after being diagnosed with dystonia. After 6 months I lost all cravings for alcohol having been a bad alcoholic for over 20 years. I remain alcohol free to this day."

Dottiedsl44 December 28, 2017

"It’s been 7 months + now since I quit drinking and have been taking Baclofen and Campral for cravings with great results. I was drinking 1-2 bottles of wine a night and had tried to quit many many times - lasting from days to a few months. What is very different this time is I am not having to fight myself and constantly 'self- talk' - feel much calmer. I did try a higher dose for a short while (75 mg ) but had side effects i.e fatigue, swollen ankles and trouble with 'finding my words'. Now on 30mg (sometimes 20mg) and managing well. These meds have been a life saver for me."

Arowan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2017

"Hi all I'm new to this site, just wanted to say after drinking 2 bottles of wine a night I'm finally seeing a GP in Perth WA today who's prescribing be Baclofen, I'm super excited!! In most cases how soon does it start working (I know everyone is different) and if I only drink of a night time to I need take during the day too? Thanks"

Daybreak1964 (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2017

"I have been drinking alcohol seriously for 40 years. I have stopped drinking before but always had cravings and eventually went back to drinking. This time I have not had cravings and don't even think about alcohol the majority of evenings. This has only been going a month now so take that into consideration. I read something about baclofen and alcohol withdrawal 2 days ago and recalled that my back doctor had given me a prescription for it and I have only taken it 2 or 3 times this month. I have been curious as to why I have not had any cravings. Perhaps it was the few Baclofen I have taken."

fred mertz (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2017

"A slow descent into alcohol and cigarette addiction over twenty years finally had me in its grip last year. With too many near disasters to contemplate over the years and a denial system verging on insanity, I was given less than a year to live. From a bright, middle class male to an unshaven, stinking 8 stone mess, retching, panic attacks, barely able to stand up, hiding bottles, then not caring about hiding anything, alcohol had me. I had multiple seizures before Christmas and in front of my 'friends' was bundled off into an ambulance. I was told very firmly that these were the 'end days'. I had seen others around me die. I bought the book by Amiesen and took his advice. I am now teetotal, healthy and have no cravings. I am made new."

Hypteronomachia August 4, 2017

"After 30 years of addictions, mainly alcohol, I am finally free. Baclofen changed my life completely. The best part for me is it seemed to switch off the complulsion for it, easily with no fight or sense of loss."

Lucy's-lot (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 18, 2017

"Well, a doctor got me hooked on gabapentin (long story, not my first iatrogenic drug dependence), could not wean myself off it without extreme, disabling suffering lasting perhaps a year total. Now have a doc that is withdrawing me with 60 mg of baclofen and some carbazapine. So far, quite tolerable, and my gaba dose is down from 4350 mg/day to 3300 mg/day, for me a huge drop. So relieved! Gabapentin is poison, let's just hope I don't end up hooked on baclofen!"

RUPK July 15, 2017

"My doctor prescribed this medication, along with 2 others I believe for opiate withdrawal. I'd have to say the combo of the 3 really did help & made life easier. She had me on the Baclofen for the muscle aches & pains, especially the lower back pain I would get. I would definitely recommend this to other addicts for withdrawal."

Jkeith1222 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2017

"Been a rather severe alcoholic for about 6 years. Owning a bar, I would drink in public about 8-10 beers and then disappear with a bottle of vodka. This continued for years until I took igoba, which helped tremendously, but I eventually went back to drinking more heavily as I started a brewery, oops, bad life choice for an alcoholic. Not having the time to visit an iboga clinic and working 16 hour days hung over I decided to give baclofen a try, at 120 mg I hit a "honeymoon" period and didn't drink for a week. It came back with a vengeance and had to keep upping my dose. Currently at 180 mgs, not drinking but don't think I am there yet. Side are horrible btw. Slowly abating. All I can say is stick with it, the stuff works."

Phat Rooster June 3, 2017

"Drank a half bottle of vodka a day, 35 years old, drank for 1 year straight.. Took baclofen 60 mg a day at night, 2 weeks in. All of a sudden, urge and cravings are now finally going away. I have to almost make myself drink. Because I'm so used to a buzz, I'm 2 days into it working finally and have had maybe 4 shots. Compared to half a fifth daily.. Thank you baclofen"

Melanie1qqqqq May 29, 2017

"Self medicating for severe depression for around 20 years. The alcohol was inhibiting my antidepressants and making my depression worse. I lost my partner, my work, my hamster (stayed with my partner). Anyway, I have been on baclofen for about three months. As I hit 90mg a day about a week ago, my cravings suddenly vanished. I've gone from 2/3 bottles of wine a day, at the expense of anything, to no alcohol. No desire, gone. It doesn't even cross my mind. I never thought this would happen. Early days yet, so I have side effects- drowsiness and clumsiness. I am assured these will pass, and are tolerable in any case. As a bonus, this drug is generic so for 100 10mg tablets is about £5."

Pupperino (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2017

"After 35 years drinking so heavily my liver and kidneys packed up, continued to drink and tried several medications including a whole list of antidepressants, I was finally given a last option of trying Baclofen. It has completely changed my life and my families. Not only have I stopped drinking completely, I have no interest in it, but my anxiety has gone and my mood is stable and mostly upbeat. In my experience, if you are given the chance of Baclofen, grab it."

Lucys-lot April 20, 2017

"The guy who posted earlier said it well. I used a very high dose of alprazolam for 2 years. Baclofen saved me time and pain from Alprazolam withdrawal. Not sure why Xanax withdrawal treatments aren't incorporating Baclofen."

Xanax withdrawals (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2017

"This medicine is one of the best things that ever happened to me. It helped me regain my life, drastically cut back alcohol and eliminate my panic attacks."

Meme070712 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 18, 2017

"I drank heavily for 26 years. In a drunken stupor, I called my sibling one evening, and told her I was at my wits end, and needed help for my alcoholism. I didn't recall our conversation the next morning, but regrettably, (at least that morning) I let my dirty little secret out of the bag, and she wasn't willing to continue watching me kill myself; so, I relunctantly agreed to get help. Ugh! What a mess I was! I wasn't even this rehab because I truly wanted to be. I felt so alone and scared. I was certain I would relapse as soon as I got out of there. But! the doctor there placed me on baclofen for a muscle disorder I have, so trust me, this was not a pseudo effect for me! It's been 2 years, and I'm still sober!!!"

Back Lo Fan! December 23, 2016

"I had tried to quit drinking with no success. I'm sure I had tried this 30-40 times since my early 20's. I'm now 35. I have wrecked my life. The last time I tried to stop was 3 months ago. I was having the usual problems of not being able to sleep. Several times while trying to quit drinking I would go four to five days without sleep. I would have auditory hallucinations. I would hear music playing sadley in the background but there would be no actual music playing. This happened on several occassions while trying to quit. Sleep deprivation was really a scary thing for me so I had a friend that had muscle relaxers and she gave me roughly 30 or so of them. I had never heard of Baclofen before ever. This was a random discovery for me"

Alex1250 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2016

"Side effects have been bad, considered stopping medication, but persevered! Three days ago, I started to be more clear headed, more optimistic and excited, as I believe this drug is working, beyond my expectations. Does anyone know if all of the side effects will stop, the longer I take it??"

Puffa (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2016

"Fantastic for Xanax Withdrawals. 12 years on Xanax, 4 months trying to come off. Worst 4 months of my life. Baclofen solved it overnight. Blurred vision & dizziness is a small price to pay. 90% of inpatient rehab industry could be replaced my Baclofen."

Bham,AL (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2016

"This works awesome and has taken away my alcohol cravings and allowed me to function with the need to drink. I first heard of the treatment in this podcast: http://www.radiolab.org/story/addiction/ I then did significant research, and found a local treatment group that was willing to take me and the Baclofen therapy on. Started at 10mg/day/week and increased 10mg/day/week. Continued to drink. Hit a wall at 200mg/day due to significant fatigue and quit drinking. (Ameisen's "trigger"). Reduced to 180mg/day and maintained for 30 days. Then reduced 10mg/week until cravings returned at 90mg. Now on a 100mg/day maintenance dose. Good protocol here: www.sciencedomain.org/download/MjQ1OUBAcGY.pdf"

WillyV October 12, 2016

"Baclofen saved my life. I was drinking 24/7 for ten years, up to four bottles of wine a day. I had tried everything to quit drinking. Then I read 'The end of my addiction' by Dr. Ameisen which started me on the road to sobriety. I had a lot of side effects and had to increase my Baclofen dose very, very slowly, but it worked! I am now totally free of any craving for alcohol. There is a new website with lots of good information at baclofentreatment.com. This was created by an emergency room physician that was treating her patients with Baclofen."

SoberBecauseOfBaclofen (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2016

Lioresal (baclofen): "At 125 mg greatly helped reduce the craving but had to lower the dose due to side effects such as sleep apeneia and extreme tiredness. Currently in 60 mg . In conclusion it helped me a lot but I had severe side effects ."

xandecool (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2016

"I wanted so badly to be cured but its not a cure. I'm still an alcoholic but it gave me severe depression. I'm back on antabuse. It works for me but my cravings are intense. I was sooooo hoping I could be normal. Fools gold"

Only Antabuse works May 29, 2016

"I had been abusing alcohol for around 3 years when I landed myself in the hospital ED and the ED doctor prescribed me baclofen. I started on 40mg per day, and this was not enough as I relapsed several times. I am now on 150mg a day which is my perfect dose. I no longer crave alcohol like I used to, and my anxiety feels more under control. I have gone back to study and started to rebuild broken relationships. Baclofen has been my miracle drug!"

katie_2507 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2016

"My belief is baclofen is finally the cure for alcoholism. My Dr. put me on Baclofen, 40 mg, then upped with 20 mg more if I needed. I drink exactly 16 ozs. of Coors Lite daily, and no desire to drink more. No cravings! As a young man I used LSD for religious awareness. Baclofen has the same effects as LSD as you are "coming on" to it. Mild hallucinations, dryness of mouth, slight irritability, hyper hearing, smelling and thoughts. Also weakness of muscles, and drowsiness. I fight the drowsiness with caffeine. I continue my normal activity regardless of weakness, leading to unusual muscle tone with everyday activity. I am a 62 yr. old man with six-pack abs. THANKS BAC AND MY DR.!!"

Jbird Fish May 11, 2016

"Thanks to all for writing there comments..I am now starting baclofen to get me over the last hump to stop drinking so I can start treatment for my Hep C.I am down to two beers a day, but somedays are not so good. Needed something for the cravings which were driving me nuts. I hope I have good luck!"

jabria (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016