User Reviews for Baclofen

Also known as: Gablofen, Kemstro, Lioresal, Lioresal Intrathecal

Learn more about Baclofen.

Baclofen Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal.

Reviews for Baclofen to treat Alcohol Withdrawal

Lioresal (baclofen): "At 125 mg greatly helped reduce the craving but had to lower the dose due to side effects such as sleep apeneia and extreme tiredness. Currently in 60 mg . In conclusion it helped me a lot but I had severe side effects ."

xandecool (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2016

"I wanted so badly to be cured but its not a cure. I'm still an alcoholic but it gave me severe depression. I'm back on antabuse. It works for me but my cravings are intense. I was sooooo hoping I could be normal. Fools gold"

Only Antabuse works May 29, 2016

"I had been abusing alcohol for around 3 years when I landed myself in the hospital ED and the ED doctor prescribed me baclofen. I started on 40mg per day, and this was not enough as I relapsed several times. I am now on 150mg a day which is my perfect dose. I no longer crave alcohol like I used to, and my anxiety feels more under control. I have gone back to study and started to rebuild broken relationships. Baclofen has been my miracle drug!"

katie_2507 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2016

"My belief is baclofen is finally the cure for alcoholism. My Dr. put me on Baclofen, 40 mg, then upped with 20 mg more if I needed. I drink exactly 16 ozs. of Coors Lite daily, and no desire to drink more. No cravings! As a young man I used LSD for religious awareness. Baclofen has the same effects as LSD as you are "coming on" to it. Mild hallucinations, dryness of mouth, slight irritability, hyper hearing, smelling and thoughts. Also weakness of muscles, and drowsiness. I fight the drowsiness with caffeine. I continue my normal activity regardless of weakness, leading to unusual muscle tone with everyday activity. I am a 62 yr. old man with six-pack abs. THANKS BAC AND MY DR.!!"

Jbird Fish May 11, 2016

"Thanks to all for writing there comments..I am now starting baclofen to get me over the last hump to stop drinking so I can start treatment for my Hep C.I am down to two beers a day, but somedays are not so good. Needed something for the cravings which were driving me nuts. I hope I have good luck!"

jabria (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

"Baclofen has saved my life, I take 80mg per day at intervals. I still have a lot of bridges to mend and that will take time. I am a 48 year old woman who self medicated with alcohol for depression and anxiety. This is the first time in over 15 years that I can feel comfortable in myself without having to numb off with alcohol. I am so looking forward to getting to know the real me. No binges and no cravings."

Guilio March 8, 2016

"Went cold turkey with Baclofen and a couple of other medications prescribed by a specialist medication, addiction doctor. Managed to hold the cravings at bay really well with 20 mg per day for 10 weeks (longest stint for 30 years!). Then, had a drink and went back to normal use (around 15-20 standard drinks per day) very quickly. After a year asked the same doctor if I could up my medication by myself whist drinking until the cravings disappeared - he was happy with this. Upped the meds by 10 mg per week (Baclofen only) and then when on 80 mg per day started having mild hallucinations and could not stop a dry mouth and constant coughing (very violent coughing fits). Stop the meds very quickly and took many many months to feel normal."

Captain Frustrated (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2016

"Baclofen saved my life. I had been drinking and drugging and other addictions for thirty five years and after a few mos getting dosage correct w occasional relapse, I am now booze free. It is a miracle. You must fight through the side effects (sleepiness, lethargy, etc) as it will eventually work. I now take it five times/ day total 225mg but will slowly reduce now that have reached 'threshold' (Amiesen). I had tried years of AA, rehab, moving to alcohol free countries, yoga, meditation, extreme fitness routines, years of therapy; nothing worked. Several DUIs, lost jobs, marriages, relationships.. And then, Baclofen! Thank you Dr. Amiesen,, I love you!"

former drunk (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2016

"I hadvery unpleasant side-effects but persevered because I was desperate to stop drinking. Started on low dose Sept 2014 and built it up till I stopped drinking altogether - effortlessly - 11 Dec 2014. I have not taken Baclofen since then (though strongly advise to reduce dose gradually as withdrawal symptoms extremely unpleasant and dangerous) and have had no desire to drink since - just relief that I am free of this addiction! If this treatment could be recognised and prescribed in the UK it would save much suffering but it is a very powerful drug and should be used with care."

Dankbaarheid January 2, 2016

"Alcoholism - I was cured. I went up to 330mg per day. My maintenance dose is 180mg per day."

j victor martin (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 2, 2016

"Unbelievable this medicine changed my life, I've been struggling to get sober for the past three years, rehab after rehab, always thinking I can control it this time, or that some how this time will be different, I now celebrate 6 months of total SOBreity, I've seen reviews of people saying that it makes them drink normal and I am way to scared to try that, I've become to involved with AA to want to change my sober date. But who know maybe one day."

Joey kul December 21, 2015

"Immediately took away those out of control thoughts of must have a drink NOW. Am on 30mgs only at night. Has stopped me drinking 1- 2 bottles white wine every second day. Can choose to drink occasionally socially if I want. Clearer calmer mind and less general body aches and pains. No more need for daily panadol. My doctor is monitoring my progress closely and I am generally happier calmer and more confident in achieving a healthier lifestyle in time. It is all so amazing not to have to fight that craving which I always gave into to calm my mind. Giving into it would make me sick every day. No more drunk means no more sick hangover. Baclofen has released me from the "drink, repent, repeat" horrible cycle alcohol had me doing. Grateful."

pinkumbrella (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2015

"I am a 38 year old woman who has abused alcohol since 2004. I've been taking Baclofen (90mg/day) for one year and it has been a huge game changer in my struggles with alcohol. It has decreased cravings, general anxiety and overall alcohol consumption. I have not upped the dose to hit "the switch" that, for many, results in total indifference to alcohol. Along with my psychiatrist, I am uncomfortable exceeding the FDA recommended dosage by so much. But even so, this drug has really helped improve my life."

baclofenuser (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 25, 2015

"It is a fact baclofen took away my craving for alcohol. I am an alcoholic. It is amazing because I had no intention of quitting alcohol. I looked forward to 5 o%u2019clock so I could have a few drinks. The alcohol provided better pain relief than the hydrocodone. With the baclofen I just don%u2019t need alcohol for my pain and have no desire for alcohol. I have a friend that flat out died from alcohol abuse. I wish I%u2019d known about Baclofen. How many alcoholics would quit drinking if they could? More doctors and psychologists need to know about baclofen for alcoholism,This medication can save lives, It%u2019s going to save my liver for sure after many years of nightly drinking.I learned about baclofen and alcoholism first by experiencing it not reading it"

Iceman Jim (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2015

"I managed to pull a muscle in my back during a particularly long binge. Was prescribed Baclofen for the muscle spasm/to help healing, but its major benefit was in the control of the shakes and sweats I normally get when I sober up at the end of a binge. I could barely write my name on the doctor's form before taking this, afterwards the shakes and sweats were almost totally gone. I took one more 10mg pill before bed and slept soundly for 10 hours straight (normally I get persecution dreams and wake with leg/arm kicks, or just lie there in a pool of sweat). This ought to be prescribed for alcohol withdrawal as a matter of course. (I took 2 10mg tables about 4 hours apart, the last one just prior to going to bed)."

Bingo24 September 21, 2015

"Excellent for alcohol abuse, Never take too much on ur first time. Start out low dose and slowly work up. You should not mix weed, sedative, coricidin or any drugs while working up. I now take 10 mg 4x a day. Used properly it a miracle medicine for alcoholism!"

Anonymous September 11, 2015

"Works very well to stop cravings for alcohol. After about 6 months it made me extremely depressed - too depressed to keep taking it even though it was keeping me from drinking. Disappointing, hence the 5 stars. However, just 1 star for me personally because of the depression caused."

Max B (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2015

"I have been taking this medication and have abstained from alcohol for over a year!"

Conniebv August 7, 2015

"After reading about the use of Baclofen to treat alcoholism, I asked my CPN if I could be treated with this drug. She referred me to the only psychiatrist/doctor in my county who was allowed to prescribe Baclofen for alcohol. After being an alcoholic for sixteen years, and having tried everything available to stop drinking, I can tell you that I have now been alcohol free for five and a half years. This is a miracle drug. What I find inexplicable, is the fact that only people who do their own research, find out about this drug, and have to ask for it. With alcoholism such a massive problem world-wide, why is this drug not the standard treatment. I fear the government stands to lose too much in taxes if people could stop drinking so easily."

Tyneparker (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 21, 2015

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It's very strange feeling getting rid of craving so easy. For last 5 years I've tried different techniques to stop drinking. I drank 2 to 4 strong beers a day and I couldn't stop it for longer then few days. I'm still thinking about having a beer but ( I can't explain it ) but I just don't HAVE TO! I'm taking minimal dose 5mg x 3 per day and it's working. ONE IMPORTANT THING: You have to be willing to stop drinking."

Anon77 March 30, 2015

"This medication work miracles in alcohol addiction."

terees February 24, 2015

"I've not drank alcohol for 4 days. I've have been drinking between 1.5 bottles to 2 bottles of wine for the past 1-2 years and finally decided to stop. I stopped three days ago and was worried I would have severe withdrawals however since taking Baclofen I have been absolutely fine (started on a dose of 10mg and gone up to 30mg but this depends on your dependency on alcohol). I have been thinking of alcohol lots which is expected but I'm been sleeping better than when I do drink (as I normally wake up at 3am with extreme anxiety or worries in my life) and now don't feel any anxiety. I'm determined to stay on this path and feel proud of myself already. I would recommend study on the web and look at all sorts of alternatives remedies."

Sue2014 January 4, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had worked with Veterans who used to have back problems and had been on muscle relaxants. They had been using alcohol for years. I used to substitute the much stronger muscle relaxants with Baclofen with their Primary Care Doctors approval. Results were great! My patients had double benefts: back pain/ spasm control and Alcohol consumption control.Some of them stop drinking , other continued use alcohol socially without problems,discovering the life again. I am happy hearing that people find Baclofen being helpful. Good luck to guys. Merry Christmas and Happy 2015!"

Retired Psychiatrist (taken for 10 years or more) December 8, 2014

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been fighting alcoholism since my early teens, detoxed by myself, and was dry for 12 years until last March. After two months of serious binge drinking, I ended up in A&E when I decided to detox once again without any suitable medication support. They provided me Diazepam and I cleaned up again, but it only lasted for three months. The vicious circle is much harder to break as you get older. However, now, on Baclofen, I feel a tremendous improvement and do not feel the urge to drink. Indeed, the medicine worked amazingly well from the very beginning of the treatment. However, do address underlying psychological issues, as the medicine is not a magic bullet."

J_Nemo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am going into an outpatient detox programme on Monday, Baclofen has given me the confidence to maintain sobriety after the detox. It's not the be all and end all but for me it really is helping."

garzoid (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2014