User Reviews for Baclofen

Also known as: Gablofen, Kemstro, Lioresal, Lioresal Intrathecal

Learn more about Baclofen.

Baclofen Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 47 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Baclofen to treat Muscle Spasm

"I have only used baclofen for 3 weeks but I can say it is truly a miracle drug for me. I have suffered from chronic pain for 20 years after a motorcycle accident that resulted in fractures of T1 2 in 3 of my transverse processes and displacement of 2 other vertebras including 13 other fractures including punctured lungs and separations in my shoulder and clavicle. I know everybody on this post has serious pain. I tried every narcotic pain medication even becoming chemically dependent and eventually addicted to many of them and 4 other muscle relaxers and every other treatment (PT, acupuncture surgeries etc.) that I'm sure everybody on this board has tried. I have serious scar tissue in my upper back lower neck which caused me constant and severe pain. I stumbled upon baclofen going to urgent care to get a toradol shot just to make it so I could sleep that night. After I woke up the next morning taking my 1st dose of baclofen I had 50%+ pain reduction! For those of you that suffer from true chronic pain that is life affecting every minute of your life you can understand why I'm in tears writing this post. I cannot believe I had never tried this medication. I'm sure it does not work the same for everybody but when it works it is a miracle drug! I now can sleep the whole night and when I wake up in the morning I am not dreading a day of pain. Let me be clear I had 20 years of debilitating pain every minute I was awake unless I sedated myself so much that I could finally fall asleep. I went to four detox centers and two rehabs Because of all the opiate pain medications I was taking and then became addicted to. I have been suffering through taking naltrexone to keep me from using narcotic pain meds to escape from my pain. I have a whole new life at age 42 now. I pray that this medication works as well for anybody else reading or posting on this site. God bless all of you suffering."

Fowbr01 (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"was prescribed baclofen for dystonia .(muscles spasms)..they slowed the spasms a bit but it also left me sitting on the sofa like a useless lump of flesh. Horrible drug and side effects"

Richieee (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken this medication for a few years and I prefer this shape because it's easier to break. My Pharmacy just switched me to the round pills which I was unhappy about because I can't break those ones as easily and I have yet to find a good pill cutter. I wish they would all be in this shape when pills need to be broken."

Sincerely12 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a terrible experience with panic attack. I do not believe this medication was appropriate for upper back pain, not identified as spasm."

marjeanine (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"very bad reaction. I took this for upper spinal pain and cold symptoms"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got up one morning my eyes was swollen shut as the day processed my lips started swelling in thought it was do to my allergies then my face got a rash on my face then my tongue started to swell along with my throat had to go to the ER"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking Baclofen 14 years ago. I started with 10 mg three times a day. After six months, my doctor increased it to 20 mg, and I eventually went to 40 mg twice times a day. Through all of this, I got only marginal relief. Last year, I had the intrathecal pump installed. So far, I still have had only marginal relief. My left hamstrings are very painful throughout the day. Massage is helpful, but very temporary. I'd love to find something that really relaxes my spasms."

Sailor Jim (taken for 10 years or more) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have ankylosing spondylitis. Very painful. Started taking baclofen five days ago. NO relief! Too early for good results? Excruciating pain! Where to get relief?"

Galensdad (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After using 20 mg in evening...I was getting no relief from muscle spasms, so I spaced dose out to 20mg in afternoon and 20 mg at evening As I got sleepy and dozed off in my chair, I found myself waking, but not breathing, I would have to gasp for a large amount of air and wake up... This went on all evening This has never happened in my life before, I repeated this a few days later and same results OPEN MY EYES AND REALIZE I,M NOT BREATHING AND GASP FOR AS MUCH AIR AS I COULD TAKE.....VERY SCARY."

daLIO May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've only been on the medication for a as days but it's the first time in years that I haven't had that seized knots in my back . So I am fairly happy with the medication despite the drowsiness its causing. I hope that in a few weeks the drowsiness will go away. At least it doesn't knock me out like Rosario or tizinadine does."

LuDena May 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with a muscular neurological disorder of unknown origin - SPS - with both my legs becoming stiff and my feet cramping a lot, with no control over lower bodily functions. I was given an Rx @ 20mg X 2 daily and was told to watch gastro for side effects. Didn't really have any problems there but the Rx worked at getting me ambulatory again. I tried to up it to 40mg X 2 daily but it made me sleepy and the Neuro told me better to take the 20 3 or 4 times a day rather than 40mg all at once. As with all Dx and Rx some collaboration with the doctor and experimentation by the Px is required to find the right Rx dosage for the symptoms. I am able to ride bike, walk and drive, get around, but no quick reflex activity."

DJDJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started baclofen 10mg three times a day because I started having painful muscle spasms in both legs usually at night. The spasms are taking longer to end. Bruising is sometimes noticeable.I started taking the drug 3 months ago, after a car accident.A brain injury was diagnosed."

hansomx2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking for herniated discs in my neck which caused bad migraines. It's pointless to me. Actually gives me headaches. I honestly think Flexeril works better."

CokoPicasso (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this for 1 week and not only did it do nothing for my muscle spasms but it made me depressed. I had never been like this in my life!!! Thankfully I realized what was happening and stopped taking them immediately. So, ineffective and severe side effect. Not taking ever again. "

QuailLady (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on 20 mg of baclofen tid and it works pretty good, takes a little while for it to kick in, but it helps subside my pain/cramps in my legs. I need to ask my doctor to increase my dosage due to the medication not lasting long enough. Overall is a pretty good medication."

Fibromyalgia lady (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First prescribed Baclofen orally for MS. Legs are turning into concrete. I was a zombie for about a year. 7 years ago I made the decision to have a baclofen pump implanted with meds going directly to my spine for my legs. Totally changed my life. No more zombie and spasms under control.(also had dilaudid in pump). Much smaller, concentrated doses going where they need to.It is now time to have surgery to implant another pump, 7 year battery life. I will have to go back on oral doses until healed from surgery. After that refill once a month and good for another 7 years. MS is getting worse but planning on giving it a hell of a fight....lol"

MSdanni (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I don't notice it working. I notice when it stops. Example. I had a physical therapy pool session. I overslept and took my 10mg dose 30 minutes before pool time. I started my session shuffling my feet along the pool floor. 30 minutes in to my pool time I could pick my knees up like a drum majorette. I convinced my PT about the value of Baclofen. Like other antispasmodics and pain pills, Baclofen starts working in one hour. It's helpful to set your alarm an hour early and take it before you get out of bed. I take it for a mitochondrial myopathy. I always have a low level of spasms that become like charley horses with activity."

Pippinsays (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Baclofen, has changed my life. CP suffer back surgery , spinal athritis , pinched nerves in my neck. And lower back, before baclofen, 6 panadine forte a day, now I take 3 . 10 mg tabs per day. Of baclofen No more back spasms. Might take 4 panadine forte a week now. Have been on endep for 2 years. But it doesn't compare. Wonderful ."

Poison apple November 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"after just a few days' dosing at 1 20mg every six hours, I started to feel peculiar in the GI tract...all kinds of strangeness. The drug didn't do enough good for the purpose prescribed, so I quit it and returned the drug to the pharmacy for disposal."

Rhomom (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ithink its great no real problems with side afects."

Red68 October 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this medication for my back after 3 days I lost my muscle coordination dropping drinks my glasses could not focus within in 4 hours I fainted an woke up in hospital 2 days later don't know if it was a stroke or short coma. No one will tell me exactly what happened to me after 2 days off this medication I have had no symptoms. This is a very bad drug"

Joanifer September 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Fell and hurt my back 4 years ago. Suffered from Spasticity in my back, legs and neck ever since. Been taking 10 mg 3 times a day every since. To me this is one of those drugs that you really can't tell you are taking it until you run out. If for some reason I miss a dose I'm miserable. I'm not gonna say it removes all my pain, because it doesn't, but it does allow me to manage the pain I'm in better. The only side effect I noticed was when I first took it I had very vivid dreams for the first few weeks, but that went away quickly."

Meluivan (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was actually put on this medication for hiccups and found that it had good muscle relaxer properties and also helped with mild anxiety."

sopranofan (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Baclofen for intermittent spasticity in my thoracic back. Also for neck, and low back spasms/nerve pain, but it's been the thoracic pain in the past 2 years that more often than not is at times literally unbearable. My thoracic back at it's best is constant aching/stabbing. Baclofen stinks, it makes me severely groggy, (but so do many medications) and no pain relief even having tried between low to high dosages. 1500 mgs of Methocarbomol before bed is an oldie but a goodie. It'll put me to sleep during the day too, but at least it works and doesn't have the bizarre loopy type side effects. However I DO NOT take it with any other medication that causes drowsiness, no narcotics, no alcohol etc..."

Lina17 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was taking baclofen 20mg 3 times a day for cervical degenerative disc disease. I didn't think it really helped until I ran out, now I noticed that my neck hurts more and is stiffer. I moved out of state and now I don't qualify for insurance. I also had a hard time sleeping while taking it, but I also have insomnia so I can't say for sure if the baclofen was causing it or not. I just noticed a difference when I ran out."

Kansas62 August 22, 2016