User Reviews for Baclofen to treat Muscle Spasm

Also known as: Lioresal, Gablofen, Ozobax, Lioresal Intrathecal

Baclofen has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 140 ratings for the treatment of Muscle Spasm. 49% of those users who reviewed Baclofen reported a positive effect, while 34% reported a negative effect.

Baclofen Rating Summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Baclofen

mikeyst22 April 21, 2021

“Scary medicine BEWARE DOUBLE VISION”

Knightwingfire April 20, 2021

“I have been prescribed baclofen for several years now. My exact view is still cloudy but here goes. First let us review my Potential Sources for spasmodic responses . Head injury 1968 Fractured C SPINE C1 to C 7 inclusive . 2 pro-disk implants and a C6/7 fusion. Fractured L spine L1 to L4 inclusive Deteriorating L 5 S1 Disk space. severe tinnitus 65 db Medications prescribed may be at issue . Emtec 30, 25 years continuous meds seem to work far better when electrolytes are balanced Spasm's reduced to 0 . Spasms I take Baclofen for . CIPN came on my list of pains in 2016 and made spasms greatly increased in severity. Spasticity of joints has increased from rare to permanent. In toes and fingers hand and leg cramps are common despite medications . Electrolyte balance is critical to reducing spasms .”

painsucks2008 April 19, 2021

“Are you out of your mind! I took this medicine back in 2015 I was allergic to this drug I was having double vision horrible insomnia and diarrhea I was taking this three times a day and had nasty side effects...”

Fowbr01 · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2017

“I have only used baclofen for 3 weeks but I can say it is truly a miracle drug for me. I have suffered from chronic pain for 20 years after a motorcycle accident that resulted in fractures of T1 2 in 3 of my transverse processes and displacement of 2 other vertebras including 13 other fractures including punctured lungs and separations in my shoulder and clavicle. I know everybody on this post has serious pain. I tried every narcotic pain medication even becoming chemically dependent and eventually addicted to many of them and 4 other muscle relaxers and every other treatment (PT, acupuncture surgeries etc.) that I'm sure everybody on this board has tried. I have serious scar tissue in my upper back lower neck which caused me constant and severe pain. I stumbled upon baclofen going to urgent care to get a toradol shot just to make it so I could sleep that night. After I woke up the next morning taking my 1st dose of baclofen I had 50%+ pain reduction! For those of you that suffer from true chronic pain that is life affecting every minute of your life you can understand why I'm in tears writing this post. I cannot believe I had never tried this medication. I'm sure it does not work the same for everybody but when it works it is a miracle drug! I now can sleep the whole night and when I wake up in the morning I am not dreading a day of pain. Let me be clear I had 20 years of debilitating pain every minute I was awake unless I sedated myself so much that I could finally fall asleep. I went to four detox centers and two rehabs Because of all the opiate pain medications I was taking and then became addicted to. I have been suffering through taking naltrexone to keep me from using narcotic pain meds to escape from my pain. I have a whole new life at age 42 now. I pray that this medication works as well for anybody else reading or posting on this site. God bless all of you suffering.”

Alex 2.0 · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2020

“I have a herniated disc in my neck and I thought I was dying. The muscles spasms were compressing a nerve that went down to my right arm from my neck. Holy cow I don’t wish that pain on my enemy. UC prescribed this for the extreme spasms and it worked for three days so far 3x daily. Weird feelings and some weird very minor what I would call hallucinating now and again, but much more bearable than the spasms. I couldn’t even move my arm and neck before taking this.”

Shaun · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 2, 2018

“Take Baclofen for degenerative disc disease and sciatica. This stuff works great. Takes my pain from an 8 or 9 to a 4. I have also found Baclofen to work wonders for my severe debilitating anxiety. I take 10mg 3x daily”

Anonymous October 25, 2009

Lioresal (baclofen): “I have suffered with back pain and muscle spasms for almost ten years. Sleeping through the night only happened in my dreams. Travel was limited by the necessity to stop frequently, get out and walk/stretch. A 200 mile trip could take 6 hours. Hotel beds were excruciating. After three weeks of routine dosing, my dreams are now a reality. Sleeping thru the night, driving for extended periods and staying away from home overnight have given me my life back. One word of caution, with your doctor's guidance, start with a small dose and be patient as the dose is increased. Beginning large may cause extreme sleepiness. Yep, the voice of experience. Fell asleep in mid sentence!”

lmchotrod · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 13, 2013

Lioresal (baclofen): “I was taken off Soma and put on Baclofen to help with extremely painful muscle spasms that I've been told are related to my fibromyalgia. I was extremely surprised and grateful to find out that this medication while not preventing the spasms, does stop them dead in their tracks when taken as soon as they start. I've had no noticeable side effects. A real God send for me.”

LizMax · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2014

“I am 33 & I have protruding discs at my L3-S1 levels. I am in pain management until I can have surgery. Because of the condition of my discs I have electric, debilitating muscle spasms in my lower back. At the time of my most recent episode, I was on 10 mg Valium for muscle relaxant & 10 mg Flexeril. The Flexeril & Valium did nothing, nothing for my spasms. Luckily, I had an appointment with my pain management doctor, and he prescribed Baclofen as he could feel the spasms. I was told to stop Flexeril and take the Baclofen -- which I did immediately (10 mg). Baclofen was miraculous! It stopped the spasms almost immediately & by the next morning (today), my back felt almost completely normal. Thank you. I can actually make it to work!!”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2019

“I've only taken two 20mg pills .Wow. I cried in the morning .It took 10 minutes to put on my socks and shoes. I took a Advil and Turmeric in the morning.Still was stiff and in pain. About 12pm. I took my baclofen pill. With in an hour I could move freely. And I was in a wonderful mood. No side effects yet, and I hope I don't have any. I was prescribed this as two 20mg a day. I have to have hip replacement next month. And my partial knee too .I took an arthritis pain relief about 30 minutes ago, To help ease that pain. Will take my second dose. So I can be pain free and sleep well. Going to ask for a refill. I think its a great all around pill”

Pop · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2019

“Wife took 2 pills on a Thursday. 20 mg about 10 hours apart. Friday called ems for having a Seziure. Now in ICU fighting for her life. It has been 4 days now. She had prior strokes and stage four kidney disease. Be careful if you take this drug.”

Gee-gee · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 26, 2018

“Hi everyone, I have been on baclofen for 10 years now for Multiple sclerosis fibromyalgia diabetes rheumatoid arthritis. I'm always in chronic pain. I have muscle spasms in my whole body. Thankful for the baclofen because I don't have hardly any spasms now. I use to get spasm in my throat, my chest, hands, feet everywhere. It doesn't work for my pain but it works for spasms. I didn't think it was working, so I stopped taking it. In a couple of days I was in terrible shape!! I quickly dug them out of the closet and took some!I I stay in pain daily. I have many chronic health conditions that are not curable.”

Celidwen · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2015

“I suffer with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and suffer from chronic muscle spasms that affect my whole body and they are terribly painful. I was recently switched to baclofen and all I can say is - wow!! I can actually MOVE again. I had actually forgotten what it feels like to be able to move. No side effects either and great pain relief. Absolutely over the moon.”

tyga_nay · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2014

“Thrilled to say the least. I have a prolapsed disc in L4/ L5. The pain and spasms I get as a result are absolute modern day torture. I had another spasm today whilst a long way from home and my normal GP. I went to a drop in clinic and the doc prescribed Baclofen. I've never had such relief. I've had all types of medicines, from Valium to Celebrex and the norm over counter medicines. This is by far the best. Also have bipolar and am on methadone for a painkiller addiction. I have to say that I am excited by the prospect of how this new medication could potentially change my everyday life. And so much the better if it helps with anxiety and withdrawal from opioids.”

MSdanni · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 30, 2016

“First prescribed Baclofen orally for MS. Legs are turning into concrete. I was a zombie for about a year. 7 years ago I made the decision to have a baclofen pump implanted with meds going directly to my spine for my legs. Totally changed my life. No more zombie and spasms under control.(also had dilaudid in pump). Much smaller, concentrated doses going where they need to.It is now time to have surgery to implant another pump, 7 year battery life. I will have to go back on oral doses until healed from surgery. After that refill once a month and good for another 7 years. MS is getting worse but planning on giving it a hell of a fight....lol”

Shaun.p · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2013

“I take 10mg at 60mg a day for a nerve impingement in my shoulder, a herniated disc and sciatica. In the past I have tried Vicodin, Percocet, oxycodone 15, Flexeril, and Soma. None of those medicines come close to working as well as baclofen. It also works way better than Xanax or Klonopin for anxiety.”

Nick40 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 14, 2015

“I was prescribed Baclofen to help spasms and pain caused by my generalised dystonia with severe tremor. Initially I was put on a very low dose which was to build up gradually. I take a cocktail of daily medication but after two weeks of Baclofen added to my med cocktail I was in less pain. I noticed I'd cut my painkillers from four times a day to only once or twice, I didn't need them. I'm not saying I'm pain free or don't have spasms anymore but I definitely notice a great improvement. I did have unpleasant side effects to begin with, weakness, drowsy, drunk like feeling, it wasn't nice at all but I kept with it, the side effects improved and I'm so relieved I don't suffer the excruciating pain I was in.”

ChronicHeartburn · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 29, 2018

“I took this for terrible back pain, and noticed it also completely got rid of migraines. I only take it at night as it makes me drowsy. It works better than any inflammatory or pain relief medication I’ve ever taken. It’s the only thing that allows me to sleep when I get back spasms of migraines”

MrFred October 15, 2018

“Had severe Muscle Spasm on Thursday evening and took a total of of 2 tablets one Thurs. and one Fri. morning. The following of what happened I have no recollection of and it has only been told to me. Fri. morning I was sitting in my recliner and had to go to bathroom and I could not get out of the chair by myself. with help I was taken to the bathroom door. My lady friend could not get me into bathroom. She said she looked at my eyes and said my eyes were wide open but no one was home, and she called EMS. while being transported to hospital I stopped breathing and again in the ER at hospital. At that time I was put on life support. After many test which all came up negative it was the consensus it had to be the medication as I had never taken Baclofen before. After more than a week in the hospital I am exhibiting no after effects.”

M J · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2019

“I have developed chronic back pain and muscle spasms in my low back that has progressively gotten worse over the last 40 years. The muscle spasms increased to over a dozen events in a day. After 10 failed steroid injections from multiple doctors and four abalations, I was resigned to live with the pain and medically retire. Baclofen has reduced the number of spasms and their intensity to about four events in a week! I too experienced the sleepiness for the first couple of days. With the intensity and number of spasms reduced so low, pain management has been much better. Time will tell if I have to reconsider early retirement.”

melissa hundley · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 22, 2013

“I have bone spurs on my cervical spine and I have severe muscle spasms and chronic back pain along with restless syndrome and degenerative bone disease. Yes I'm also falling apart and I'm only 38 yrs old. My doctor tried different scripts to relieve the pain and burning in my neck and shoulder but I never found relief until I started taking 10mg Baclofen. It also helped me at night with my insomnia. I thank my doctor at every visit. I'd still be in pain if it weren't for Baclofen.”

denver27 December 6, 2014

“I have a lot of different pains due to fibromyalgia and nerve damage and sciatica and a stroke and spinal cord disease I take 1 20 milligram at night only because it does make you very tired and only time I really noticed it working is when I don't take it then my pain is much worse.”

Trudes02 September 7, 2015

“Been put on Baclofen after taking Valium for a number of years for left sided spasming due to cluster migraine and fibromyalgia, Bells Palsy and Restless leg Syndrome. It has helped me immensely and helped me move again. I can even walk again.”

Shay4204 · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 12, 2014

“I was put on Baclofen for migraine/cluster headache as a treatment prevention and rescue medicine. It works great for me. It also helps my spasms from having a bladder and kidney disease and ruptured discs. It doesn't help the nerve pain, but overall I think it's better than every other muscle relaxer I've tried. I've had reactions to most and very allergic to Flexeril. I take 20mg up to 4x a day. I'm also okay on Percocet and Klonopin. The 3 make everyday life with constant pain and headaches a lot easier to deal with.”

Jessicasandra June 25, 2015

“I initially took this bc of muscle cramps but was surprised at how easily it helped me fall asleep and feel at ease well rested and stress free the next day. I have taken trazodone before for my anxiety and this was ten times better. Trazodone has nothing on this. Not sure why this isn't prescribed for anxiety and insomnia instead.”

Pie · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2019

“Horrible medication , took it for the first time tonight , fell asleep, woke up and felt I was not alive !!! I started having panic attack thought I was going to end at E.R , Never again am I taking this medication .”

MayMayinTexas · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2016

“Was prescribed Baclofen 20 mg and allowed to take one half to one pill per night at bedtime. A few days ago I bent over and couldn't get back up. I am active, not old, and fit. Apparently I pinched/compressed a nerve(s) in my sacral area. I was taking methylcarbanal with little relief. My PCP have me a Toradal shot and Baclofen. Wow! Baclofen worked great but 20mg gave me a hang over the next morning (no headache). Woozy, drunk and floaty feeling. Decided it was best not to drive and stayed home. While I am grateful the Baclofen worked I will be taking 10mg from now on when needed. 20mg is just too strong for me at 5'8 and 140lbs.”

Josie · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2020

“I was prescribed this medicine for my hip bursitis because I could not sleep on my sides. I took it at 10:30pm when I went to bed. I didn't wake up enough to get out of bed until about 3:30 PM. It is now almost 9:00 PM and I am still groggy and not able to function very well. I slept super sound, did a lot of dreaming that I remember. I slept super soundly, did not suffer with hip pain that hurt when I turned on my side. BUT I was unable to function wake up the entire next day. For me the drug is NOT something I believe is helpful.”

Learn more about Muscle Spasm