User Reviews for Zometa

Zometa has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 36 ratings on Drugs.com. 38% of those users who reviewed Zometa reported a positive effect, while 45% reported a negative effect.

Osteolytic Bone Metastases of Solid Tumors
10.0
Summary of Zometa reviews 5.1 36 reviews

Reviews for Zometa

Nancy · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2021

For Osteolytic Bone Metastases of Solid Tumors: “My oncologist for some reason change my medication from Exgiva to this medication. I have been having the worst side effect ever. I have bone stomach pain, fever and chill I am in 5th day and I’m still experiencing chills and fever. I would never take this medication again. I just wonder how long this going to last. If I ever get better.”

nikki · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 7, 2021

For Osteolytic Bone Lesions of Multiple Myeloma: “I found being on this for a few years increased my bone density from MINUS 4.2 down to 3.9 would recommend it”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2021

For Osteoporosis: “Wonderful!! If you want to say farewell to your already healthy and happy life for months even for years take this rubbish even one dose! You will get paralysed and achy for so long! DO NOT try this junk or you will wish for death rather than taking the side effects! Beware! You will experience all the listed side effects! Long lasting and disastrous! Make your choice!”

jake · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “For four weeks I had little to no appetite, and periods of tiredness. For the first 3 weeks I also was in a stupor, tired and weak every day, with nausea daily. Along with these symptoms for the first 2 weeks I had on and off fever, chills, headache no energy, seats at night. I felt like I was drugged and was weak and unstable and sick. W would never, never take Zometa again and I do NOT recommend it. ”

Blond voyage May 22, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I will never try Zometa again. I had horrific side effects, I passed out 7 hours after home from infusion, my neighbor called paramedics, my blood pressure dropped to 80/58. I’ve had full body ache, headache, sweats and chills for 3 days so far.”

Bluehighways · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2020

For Hypercalcemia of Malignancy: “My oncologist ordered this as a bone treatment. I was doing just fine without it. Now my legs are in pain and I'm tired most of the time. I will NEVER take this crap again. It's a typical poison that America's corrupt pharmaceutical industry pushes on people. There are other safer ways to get your damaged bones to absorb calcium. I have nothing but the most profound contempt for the makers of this product.”

SueBubbles · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 5, 2013

For Osteolytic Bone Metastases of Solid Tumors: “I have been receiving Zometa via IV infusion for about 3 years now - At first three weekly then after about a year, four weekly - I have breast cancer, bone metastasis. If I take the infusion over 15 minutes....during the following day I will begin with severe vomiting and flu symptoms which last for two days and nights after which I'm fine. However, if I have the infusion over 30 minutes - as advised on the internet way back in the early days of my treatments, I have NO side effects whatsoever - no sickness, no aches & pains! I have spoken to other women who have experienced the same - take the infusion slower, drink plenty of water, and you might just find your horrid side-effects disappear!”

Maestramaria · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 29, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “The Zometa was almost then end of me. I was 70yrs old when doctors in Sardinia gave me the Zometa for only a broken rib. They gave it me for 1 year. Meanwhile my bones were becoming weaker and weaker every day. My jaw become painful and was almost impossible to talk, to eat and chew. My bones started to have fractures without any particular accident. Doctors gave me Zometa for 6 years. After 1year, the Zometa caused me bone cancer. If Zometa is good for bones, then why after 1year of infusions I've had bone cancer ?”

Jaclash · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2017

For Osteolytic Bone Metastases of Solid Tumors: “Had my first dose on Monday 12th June 2017. I was fine Monday night so felt quite positive​. Woke up Tuesday feeling like death! Wednesday felt better but had a painful red swollen left eye​ball. Long story short. I'm in agony with my eye and no one knows what to do! The hospital tried to say it wasn't a side effect! It's a very rare side effect but it is one! And the fact they know nothing about it or how to deal with it is disgusting and frightening! I will not be having this treatment again and will be taking this further!! They should not be giving people something if they don't know everything about it!”

Sunny March 30, 2018

For Osteolytic Bone Lesions of Multiple Myeloma: “I started Zometa IV once a month for 6 yrs. After having 2 stem cell transplants. Dìagnosed with Multiple Myeloma 12 yrs ago. During the last 2 years of Zometa I developed Osteonecrosis in my jaw, BRONJ after having a tooth extracted. That led to a domino effect causing all my lower teeth needing to be removed. I was a 48 yrs old woman when 1st diagnosed with MM. Stage 4. I was very physically active and had teeth. I opted to stop taking Zometa as soon as the 1st tooth extracted showed difficulty in healing. I am now almost 60 yrs old and have been off Zometa for 4 yrs and have had no bone fractures or breaks. I had the achy bones, the cruddy feeling for a few days. Be fanatical about oral hygiene.”

Spike · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 30, 2019

For Osteolytic Bone Metastases of Solid Tumors: “I hate this drug. I had perfect oral hygiene. NO cavities, ever, even still have a baby tooth. Always told by dentists how great my teeth were. Two years after zometa, I spontaneously end up with a hole in my mouth near my back molar where my jaw bone is visible. Osteonecrosis of the jaw. No treatment...just wait for it to do whatever its going to do...maybe a small piece of dead bone will come out, maybe my whole jaw will die, i just sit and wait to see. It’s getting bigger and feels awful. Then, my horrible oncologist refused to believe it and made me see other dentists, periodontist, and oral surgeons...and everyone confirmed ONJ. Thankfully he quit, but I doubt he filled out the FDA paperwork that was sent to him, so my side effect incident probably didn't get reported.”

Janlynne December 11, 2016

For Osteoporosis: “Had the infusion - 15 minutes - 4 days ago. On the day felt fine. The next day thought I was dying, chills, fever, nausea, whole body/bones/joints extremely painful.. Woke up every hour and had to drink water. Day 3 felt a lot better and managed to go to work. Day 4 I feel fine. Not sure how effective it will be, will have to have a bone scan in a years time!”

zople May 9, 2012

For Osteolytic Bone Lesions of Multiple Myeloma: “I've been getting the infusions for almost 2 years now. The side effects are at a manageable level (compared to what I'm used to with other medicines I've been on for multiple myeloma). It is unknown how much longer I will be getting the infusions, as it varies from patient to patient. I would consider my quality of life as good as it gets, with only a temporary interruption every 3 months.”

listener202 December 12, 2013

For Osteolytic Bone Metastases of Solid Tumors: “I have had three infusions (1 monthly) intravenously administered. No one advised that I should continue taking calcium supplements - good thing I asked! The first infusion led to three days of severe joint pain abating each day. The second infusion had lesser effects and the third one lessened from the 2nd. Hydrate well before and after the injections. I've had transient chest pain, chills, side pain, episodes lasting for 1-2 minutes.”

Debbiemit1962 September 3, 2017

For Osteoporosis: “Had 1 t-7 fracture due to the Osteoporosis. Recently had the reclast infusion and it is awful. Flu like symptoms no way, much much worse. I literally was incapacitated. The pain everywhere in my bones, joints, hips even my fingers. I feel my doctors were not honest with me on how I would or could really feel. On the positive though I hope in one year my bone density and bone mass will have improved. I don't want another fracture.”

Lorilars · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2016

For Osteoporosis: “I have severe arthritis anyway and have a lot of pain but this was over the top. First day fine but the next 4 days I was down with bad joint pain, back pain , chills. Not sure I am going to do it again. I have already had 3 breaks and cancer so I don't know if that's an option for me.”

t · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 19, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I have been given this drug during and after chemo. I can not find anywhere in literature of how long it stays in the jaw bones after you stop take this drug. 7 yrs later I still find that tho I am cancer free, it ruined my teeth. Some Doctors say it lasts the rest of your life. There has got to be a half life, but no one answers the question. (half life = 146 hours, time for clearance = over 30 days)”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2020

For Osteolytic Bone Metastases of Solid Tumors: “I had Zometa for the first time 5 days ago. Had experienced chills on the 2nd night, weakness and body aches all over. Then on the 5th night, had chills again weakness and body aches. Tylenol alternate with advil helped but I will never have this medication again. I have no problem with chemo , only this medication .(I have Mild osteoporosis and breast cancer)”

SmitedinIndy November 26, 2017

For Hypercalcemia of Malignancy: “Went the day before Thanksgiving for my regular shots for my neuroendocrine tumors (NETs)/Carcinoid Syndrome wwith mets to liver. Nurse said a "calcium drip" had been ordered. I figured it was a type of vitamin, although the nurse said some people get mild flu symptoms. I left 40 mins. Later, went home to houseful of guests. (I'm the cook for record in our family) About 10:00 that night I felt like a ton of bricks had hit me! The chills, uncontrollable shaking, and violent vomiting began. Every bone and joint in my body ached. I'm now 4 days past treatment and I'm still just "off". I'm having trouble searching for words, forgetful, & inexplicably depressed. (sobbing for no reason?) I, too, like the previous post, am furious with my doctor. NEVER AGAIN.”

Steve. · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 8, 2017

For Osteolytic Bone Lesions of Multiple Myeloma: “I started on Zometa about 3 years ago, at first it was every three months but over the past year I have it every 4 weeks. The side effects vary almost every time, sometimes it's aching bones or muscle pain and I usually feel weary to the point that I stay in bed all day, the effects usually hit me on the second day after having the infusion and only last for one day. Today is Sunday and I had the infusion on Friday so as I write this I'm feeling pretty rotten, but come tomorrow I'll be feeling much better so it doesn't worry me at all...and it's a lot better than having my bones snapping just because I've lifted something that's too heavy.”

Anonymous September 3, 2008

For Hypercalcemia of Malignancy: “It was an easy IV for 15 minutes. Felt wonderful all day long. Hadn't felt that good in a very long time! Next day so sick. Went right back to bed and was completely out all day long. Got up later that afternoon and felt fine from then on. Was given 4 ibuprophens before IV.”

Jimbo52×××× · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2016

For Osteolytic Bone Lesions of Multiple Myeloma: “This new 20 min IV just about killed me and put me in the hospital for 7 days, then rehab for 2 weeks. I had the chronic upper thigh pain which made my right leg and foot numb and I need a walker to walk now. My calves also are very painful. This IV stopped my urination and I had to go to the ER. My urthea tube was completely closed and urologist got 3 1/2 liters off my bladder. I have to now have a cathier for the rest of my life. My kidneys did turn around but were very bad in the hospital. I have stage 4 prostate cancer and was on adreia and lupron shot every 3 months.The adreia IV was 2 hrs. I handled These meds very well but my new oncologists decided to change to zometa.I was not told about all of these side effects.”

Blue eyed June 15, 2019

For Hypercalcemia of Malignancy: “I had Brest cancer 2017 and chemotherapy and radiotherapy in 2018. I am now on zoledronic acid every 6 months for 3years. I've had 3 now. The thing is the right side of my tummy is swollen from just above my belly button and over to my right side. I've had a CT scan and everything is fine. Bloods are fine. It swelled up after my 2nd one and no one knows why.”

boomerangbronwen January 25, 2012

For Osteolytic Bone Metastases of Solid Tumors: “I dreaded the side-effects and had NONE. I had the intravenous infusion three days before Christmas 2011 and was scared that I would be flattened by the supposed side-effects like flu-like symptoms, bone ache and so forth and was pleasantly surprised. I am having my second one in just ten days time and hopefully it will be a repeat of the first one.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 29, 2016

For Osteolytic Bone Lesions of Multiple Myeloma: “My mother was on this IV treatment for about 3yrs when she was first diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. The only side effect at the time was nausea. 3yrs later she is now experiencing Osteonecrosis of the jaw due to this treatment. I guess my view on it is the treatment is it helped at the time to prevent any more lesions but now the bone in her jaw is dying and causing lots of pain. She just had surgery on her jaw to remove the dead bone and hopefully heal.”

Jpschelandyahoo.com August 17, 2016

For Osteolytic Bone Metastases of Solid Tumors: “Had horrible side effects from zo meta Will not take this med ever again.Hospitalized for 7 days and now at rehab trying to walk again. Please research this med and read testimonals before taking, wish I had.”

Elena's gram · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2017

For Osteoporosis: “I received Zometa IV on 9/26/17, after being informed of all the possible side effects. Although I was somewhat concerned, I was pleasantly surprised when 2 days later I have experienced nothing worse that a little more joint pain than usual when line dancing last evening. Hopefully, this medication will improve my bone density, or at least keep it stable.”

Catdog · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 15, 2019

For Osteolytic Bone Metastases of Solid Tumors: “I took zometa for two years until I noticed a hole in my mouth where my jawbone was poking through. Now it’s been a year and the hole has tripled in size and is starting to get more painful. This drug is horrible.”