User Reviews for Ibandronate

Also known as: Boniva

Learn more about Ibandronate.

Osteoporosis 27 reviews 151 medications

5.5
Prevention of Osteoporosis 4 reviews 63 medications

5.2
Summary of Ibandronate reviews 31 reviews 5.4

Reviews for Ibandronate

For Osteoporosis: "I've been on Boniva for 3 months so far. Took the 4th pill yesterday and thought nothing of it-then the flu-like symptoms started the next day: Headache, severe fatigue,chills, muscle and bone pain,especially in my hips. Thought I had the flu or some awful virus, then thought that it was strange to have pain in my hips. Then the light bulb in my head went off and I researched the side effects of Boniva. Very enlightening. I will call my doctor on Monday for sure and discuss other options."

hating it (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2016

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "I had been on Boniva for 18 months and woke one night with severe chest pain and pain in my throat and jaw. For the next three months I ran high fevers and suffered chills and incredible pain. My internist denied that it could be this drug and didn't even tell me to stop taking it. I have spent thousands of dollars on tests and nothing has indicated that it could be anything else but the drug. The only way I have been able to function has been by taking Prednisone and tons of Advil. Be very careful if you take this drug and if you get any of these symptoms STOP TAKING IT regardless of what your doctor says."

bsdfrmd (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 4, 2015

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I took 12 doses of this medication. My bone scan 2 days ago showed a change from "severe" to "mild" osteopenia. So I can stop the medication and continue standing all day at work and lifting weights. Now I don't have to fear falling. I can see an active future. I am grateful. I experienced no side effects. I am nearly 71. My mother was bent and fragile with osteoporosis. She died at 94 from the hospital infection after treatment for broken bones."

Severe Osteopenia Reversed (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 31, 2015

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "I am 41 years old. I have been taking Boniva for the last 3 months with no side effects so far. Fingers crossed."

Tnbc survivor AS October 10, 2015

For Osteoporosis: "I have been taken this pill since the diagnostic of an advanced osteoporosis in my body, April 2015. I'm 42, I was very sad, and worry reading some reviews. I really don't feel any side effects."

DCLLZ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 7, 2015

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "I just took my first Boniva pill on September 14, 2015, it is now 2 weeks later and I literally feel like I was hit by a truck. My back muscle pain started almost after about the fifth day. Now my upper back and knees and arm muscles are all hurting. I also have pressure and discomfort in the groin area. Really do not care whether it improves bone density or not. I have already decided to discontinue use!!! I have never in my life felt this terrible."

Disappointed Patient September 29, 2015

For Osteoporosis: "I have been taking this medicine for three months and have no problems really."

Deys (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2015

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "This is the second round of taking Boniva tablets. I had significant improvement, such that I could quit taking it after 8 months. Two years later, my bone density results indicated that I was again starting to lose bone density so am on boniva again. I responded well and quickly, but I think I quit taking it too soon. I am taking the once monthly tablet and the first three months, each time, I had really bad muscle pain in my back for two days after taking the pill, but since I knew that was one of the possible side effects, I weighed the benefits against the muscle pain and chose to continue taking it. I have been on Boniva this round for nine months now, and I no longer have the muscle pain or any other side effects."

chelabailey May 30, 2015

For Osteoporosis: "Taken one dose so far and do not believe that I will take no more. I took the pill on Sunday and still having severe pains in my stomach I don't like the way it makes me feel."

bumbleebee April 14, 2015

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "I took this and the next day, have been sick with flu like symptoms today severe stomach upset and cramps, chills. "

bonivaisthedevil (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2014

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "I had bad osteoporosis and the doctor put me on Boniva and 2 years later the osteoporosis and osteopenia was almost gone! In some places it was. I loved this medicine but since I lost my job and my insurance and can no longer take it. The discount insurance I have doesn't cover brand names or even anything similar. I am a couple of years away from Medicare so I hope I can start back again then. I had absolutely no side effects other than it cured me!"

soldiermom11 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 10, 2013

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "Got severe side-effect from taking Boniva (150mg monthly) for 3 months. Crippling, debilitating bone-joint pain at the hip. Very stiff sensation at the chest sternum and ribs. Went to Urgent Care twice. Flat on bed for 2 months with intense pain and prescribed pain killers (hydrocodone/Dilaudid, prednisone, etc.) have no effect. Discontinue taking Boniva and the pain subsides after three months. Three doctors don't believe it is the Boniva side effect until the fourth MD specialist, a rheumatologist recognizes the Boniva side effect symptoms after a long differential diagnostic (she also has two previous patients with similar symptoms after taking Boniva). "

TriDanielFT August 30, 2013

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "I have spontaneous necrosis of the knee. Have only had one dose of I.V. Boniva so far (10 days ago) but I wanted to post something positive on this site because I found most of the reviews to be very disheartening when I read them prior to my infusion. I experienced zero side-effects after I received the infusion. I kept expecting something to happen but I was perfectly fine. Obviously it is too soon to tell whether it will help my condition, but I am keeping a positive outlook."

Penster (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2013

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "Have had severe muscle pain in my upper thighs that lasts for 3 or 4 days after taking my monthly dose. Also have heartburn."

kim h April 3, 2013

Boniva (ibandronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I took my first dose of Bonita 150mgs and woke up the next day with severe headache and abdominal spasms. I feel exhausted, almost flu like. I'm checking with my Dr. Now since today is the 2nd day of the same symptoms."

Imagemax (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2013

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "Have been taking Boniva for about 8 months. I thought all was well but twice since starting a monthly dose, I have had 2 episodes of severe rash and swelling on my face. The second time it happened I had 2 days of fever and back pain. As soon as the fever broke, the rash appeared. I went to the ER and next day to a specialist, it was that bad. Will have to discontinue use ."

Kymare January 25, 2013

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "Tried weekly Boniva and had severe flu symptoms each time and had to stop taking it. That was approximately 1 yr ago. Now taking once monthly. Thought it was okay no flu but having diarrhea and pain in upper thigh after taking twice. Just had 3rd one yesterday and diarrhea is bad."

lafera December 18, 2012

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "I like the 1-month convenience, well tolerated...my medicine of choice!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 22, 2012

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "I had no side effects and I've been taking Boniva for 1 1/2 years. I do wish there was medicine for my severe bone loss that doesn't cost so much. "

Anonymous July 15, 2011

Boniva (ibandronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I've been on Boniva for 5 years, and my bone density has not improved at all. I don't know if it would have been worse without it, but my scores have not improved. And now I'm beginning to read that you shouldn't be on Boniva for more than 5 years."

Anonymous March 22, 2011

For Osteoporosis: "After 24 hours of taking Boniva 150 mg I started experiencing severe flu like symptoms with fever and extreme pain in my bones and joints. "

Anonymous August 3, 2010

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "I used Boniva I.V. once. Had flu like symptoms, headache, runny nose, watery eyes, chest pain and achy hips. Wont take it again!"

A.R. March 15, 2010

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "I have experienced flu symtoms within the first 48 hours, and severe joint and bone pain. I feel much worse than before I started taking Boniva. "

snickies December 29, 2009

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "All of the osteoporosis medicines have caused horrible heartburn and now esophagus complication."

Gramma Lanna August 13, 2009

Boniva (ibandronate) for Osteoporosis: "Today I received the results of my bone density test after being on Boniva for two years. I am delighted to say that there is a reversal of my osteoporosis. Thank you, Boniva!"

veewee5 June 19, 2009

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate