User Reviews for Ibandronate to treat Osteoporosis

Also known as: Boniva

Ibandronate has an average rating of 3.1 out of 10 from a total of 71 ratings for the treatment of Osteoporosis. 20% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 73% reported a negative effect.

Ibandronate Rating Summary

3.1/10 average rating

Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Osteoporosis.

Reviews for Ibandronate

ChihuahuaMom · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 7, 2020

Boniva (ibandronate): “Started Boniva 150mg monthly after having a DEXA with t-score of -3.5 The first month I had some slight side effects sleepiness, aches and diarrhea on the second and third day, after that I felt okay, except maybe some shortness of breath but nothing too alarming. I did notice one positive though, my back pain that I would get while lying flat, had gone away. So, I decided to keep taking it. When I took the second dose, I had side effects starting again about the second day. I had slight chest pain on and off. About the second week we went out shopping and I wanted to go home, because of a terrible cramping in my right ankle. What made me call the doctor and tell her I’m not going to continue boniva was the constant light headache and lightheaded feeling I had everyday. Constantly. I started feeling like myself again a few days before the 3rd dose was supposed to be. I really wish there wasn’t all these side effects and worries with it. Im going to try something else on my own.”

Iddy January 3, 2021

Boniva (ibandronate): “Took Boniva (generic) for 2 months. After the first dose, on day 2, started with chills, body ache and fever. On day 3, started having severe upper abdominal pain....doc prescribed a pill for acid reflux’s which helped after about a week. Took second dose...again body aches, chills, fever of 101....will NOT take this drug again. Terrible!”

TriDanielFT August 30, 2013

Boniva (ibandronate): “Got severe side-effect from taking Boniva (150mg monthly) for 3 months. Crippling, debilitating bone-joint pain at the hip. Very stiff sensation at the chest sternum and ribs. Went to Urgent Care twice. Flat on bed for 2 months with intense pain and prescribed pain killers (hydrocodone/Dilaudid, prednisone, etc.) have no effect. Discontinue taking Boniva and the pain subsides after three months. Three doctors don't believe it is the Boniva side effect until the fourth MD specialist, a rheumatologist recognizes the Boniva side effect symptoms after a long differential diagnostic (she also has two previous patients with similar symptoms after taking Boniva). ”

Bird Nerd · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 30, 2020

Boniva (ibandronate): “I received the infusion form of Boniva for just short of two years. I escaped the been poisoned symptoms. But not the jaw problems. Ten years later I have no teeth. Some fell out, others broke. Was going to have all removed. Until told I had a 25% chance if losing my jaw bone!!! I was too scared to proceed. I have "managed" to get by. I would have never used Boniva if I had known. And it did nothing for bone density.”

Sandra · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2018

Boniva (ibandronate): “I was diagnosed with Osteosporosis in my lumbar vertebra, I took the first doses of monthly pill of Boniva 10 days ago. The first 2 days I had headache, sternum and back pain, and throat pain. My doctor didn’t think it was the side effect of the medication, I don’t know why because it’s exactly what it says in the literature of the medicine. After 5 days, I started to have a horrible back and lumbar pain. I took Ibuprofen 800 mg , Diclofenac and a Flexedril, but nothing worked. It’s been 10 days already and I continue laying in bed because a I can barely move for the horrible pain. My doctor still saying is not the side effect. I decided not to take any medicine for Osteosporosis because all of them have the same side effects. For me it’s not worth it.”

Dinah · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2021

Boniva (ibandronate): “I took my first monthly Boniva dose yesterday morning at 8 am. I actually walked outside 5 miles which took me 1 hour and 15 min. Waited until 10 to eat something little and take my vitamins. By 11 I could tell I wasn’t feeling right. By 1. I was full blown very sick. I got diarrhea headache and nausea. By 3 I vomited so much it was ridiculous. I haven’t vomited since I was a child! I was sick the rest of the day. I ended up taking Imodium for the diarrhea. I feel weak today but I’m better than yesterday. I hope I get no other symptoms but I will never take this again. I feel my body was telling me something!”

Cruising Princess · Taken for 10 years or more August 17, 2016

Boniva (ibandronate): “I have osteopena and I have taken fosamax and then boniva for about 28 years and have had no side effects at all and my osteopena as shown in bone scans has not gotten worse. I am very active and have no pains and very good health. I am now 90 years old and recently fell and broke my wrist and fractured my pelvis because I stumbled over a curb.Both fractures healed within several months and I am back to being completely normal not having to use any devices for walking and I continue to travel all over the world. I give a lot of credit to both fosamax and boniva and would like for others to know about my experience as I believe these drugs are responsible for my good health.”

Disappointed Patient September 29, 2015

Boniva (ibandronate): “I just took my first Boniva pill on September 14, 2015, it is now 2 weeks later and I literally feel like I was hit by a truck. My back muscle pain started almost after about the fifth day. Now my upper back and knees and arm muscles are all hurting. I also have pressure and discomfort in the groin area. Really do not care whether it improves bone density or not. I have already decided to discontinue use!!! I have never in my life felt this terrible.”

Dee · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2019

Boniva (ibandronate): “My hair is getting very thin. Does Boniva cause your hair to come out or thin out????? And the pain in my muscles are excruciating!!!!! I have nose bleeds too! Is this all side effects from Boniva??? I took this medicine for only 2 months. I have osteoporosis in my left hip & this is why my Dr. gave me Boniva. I have psoriatic arthritis and the pain is so bad. When I drive or sit for for a long period of time, and get up I can't walk. Would this be the cause of this drug? The pain is unbearable! The muscle pain keeps from doing my house work, going out to dinner, ect. I just lay in the bed. ”

aZGirl58 May 25, 2021

Boniva (ibandronate): “I have taken Ibandronate (Boniva) for 4 months. The first month I did pretty well. The second month started showing some side effects, upset stomach, loss of appetite. The 3 rd month I got a terrible headache within 45 minutes of taking it. Then it seems like a cloud was coming over. I looked outside but there was no clouds. The headache and vision problems lasted over two weeks. Also I was dizzy. The fourth month (and FINAL) I feel so horrible. Along with all the other side effects now my heart rate has increased, my blood pressure is elevated, nervousy feeling inside like I'm shaking, I feel like I've been poisoned. I went to my eye Dr just to have him check my eyes because I have glaucoma. He said my eyes look fine but I still have the headache and vision issues. All these symptoms let up a little but then come right back again. Today is the 23rd day since I took the 4th dose. I'm just hoping I can purge this out of my system soon! Never again will I take this.”

Martha · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2019

Boniva (ibandronate): “I took one dose. Two days later the knife in the stomach started, then the low grade fever started. I called the advise nurse only to be told it was the Boniva. On day 8 the stiff neck, nausea, and joint pain hit. I am talking 7-8 on the pain scale. I couldn't turn my head or pick up anything. My hands swelled to the point of my fingers not moving. I got a really itchy rash on my neck, chest, and stomach. My husband had to help me walk and get into bed. Went to the ER. They loaded me up on prednisone, pain meds, and nausea meds, then sent me home. "It will stop". I am on day 18. I shuffle from room to room now, but that is it. The pain ranges from 3 - 8 now. If I sit still, it is a 3, but how long can I just sit still? There is no way I could have worked during this time. There should have been a warning before my deciding to take this med. If you are having a reaction, please add your story to the list,”

NonaP August 12, 2018

Boniva (ibandronate): “I took Fosomax, then Boniva, then Reclast for osteopenia about ten years ago. (docs changed each drug to next due to potential side effects). I am a bone cancer survivor and when I had a dexascan in July, the good leg’s femur ball (right leg) has osteoporosis so the doctor again put me on Boniva. I took the first dose on 7/12/18 w 2000 mg of calcium with vit D daily. By July 29, the pain and muscle spasms in my affected post cancer left leg started hurting so badly, I couldn’t walk. I called the OB and she said add 500 milligrams of magnesium for muscle spasms. Advil did nothing. I called my surgeon because I was afraid my cancer was back. He advised tonic water with quinine which helped a bit but is going to follow up w an X-ray to be sure. In the Boniva literature, it says, “Stop using ibandronate and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects ******severe joint, bone, or muscle pain; ******new or unusual pain in your thigh or hip No more for me.”

chelabailey May 30, 2015

Boniva (ibandronate): “This is the second round of taking Boniva tablets. I had significant improvement, such that I could quit taking it after 8 months. Two years later, my bone density results indicated that I was again starting to lose bone density so am on boniva again. I responded well and quickly, but I think I quit taking it too soon. I am taking the once monthly tablet and the first three months, each time, I had really bad muscle pain in my back for two days after taking the pill, but since I knew that was one of the possible side effects, I weighed the benefits against the muscle pain and chose to continue taking it. I have been on Boniva this round for nine months now, and I no longer have the muscle pain or any other side effects.”

Wendell · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2019

Boniva (ibandronate): “I took this medication Boniva as prescribed, beginning the dosage 5 days ago. As of the 2nd day, I felt as if my entire body had been poisoned. I was incredibly weak, dizzy, and hurt almost everywhere in my system. Apparently this is a combination of some of the side effects of the medication, but it was on a far larger scale than I could have expected. 5 days out, I am still mostly bearing all the same affects. My understanding is that this will take 13 days to level out, and perhaps the symptoms will be reduced. I will never take another one of this medication. My bones hurt throughout my entire body. I am not in any sense willing to progress beyond the 1st dose, it has been such a devastation for me.”

soldiermom11 · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 10, 2013

Boniva (ibandronate): “I had bad osteoporosis and the doctor put me on Boniva and 2 years later the osteoporosis and osteopenia was almost gone! In some places it was. I loved this medicine but since I lost my job and my insurance and can no longer take it. The discount insurance I have doesn't cover brand names or even anything similar. I am a couple of years away from Medicare so I hope I can start back again then. I had absolutely no side effects other than it cured me!”

Margie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2020

Boniva (ibandronate): “Took first month's dose on Boniva without any issues but this morning took 2nd dose. Set the timer and waited the hour before drinking another 30 minutes before eating. About 3-4 hours later, left work for vomiting and dizziness. Barely made it home and became very sick. Had taken a multi vitamin after breakfast and well after the alotted wait time for Boniva. Reading about side effects says "vomiting" is due to an overdose. Haven't heard back from physician (probably won't) but will be reconsidering taking the 3rd dose. Prior to Boniva, I took Prolia injection without any major side effects but was extremely expensive even with insurance so changed to Boniva. But now Boniva scares me and certainly has some serious side effects.”

GMP · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2019

Boniva (ibandronate): “Day before I took Boniva 150 mg generic brand. First day I felt normal. Next morning I felt real bad pain in my right rib, at first I ask my husband if he sees bruise, he said no. Later that day I felt pain in my right hip and lower back. My walking was not easy, it felt as if my flexibility was gone. I walked like old lady. Today is 3rd. Day, I will see how I will feel tomorrow. I am hoping for pain free day. I will post after few days to let people like me know how I am doing. I never had this type of side effect with any other medication.”

Yoga Lover · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2020

Boniva (ibandronate): “I started Boniva once a month dosage five months ago for osteopenia and early osteoporosis. Every month it seems I feel a little worse. I'm experiencing daily heartburn, reflux, nausea, leg cramps, and headaches (which I rarely have). I usually have a lot of energy and I'm not a napper. But over the last few months I find my self falling asleep watching TV and feeling tired after a full night's sleep. I was beginning to think there might be something serious going on, but since reading the other posts, I'm inclined to think it may be the Boniva causing the problem. I asked my pharmacist and he said whatever side effects I'm experiencing should wear off 2-3 days after my monthly dosage...no so. I'm not loosing weight and have an appetite. Do I just put up with the side effects and hope for the best?”

bsdfrmd · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 4, 2015

Boniva (ibandronate): “I had been on Boniva for 18 months and woke one night with severe chest pain and pain in my throat and jaw. For the next three months I ran high fevers and suffered chills and incredible pain. My internist denied that it could be this drug and didn't even tell me to stop taking it. I have spent thousands of dollars on tests and nothing has indicated that it could be anything else but the drug. The only way I have been able to function has been by taking Prednisone and tons of Advil. Be very careful if you take this drug and if you get any of these symptoms STOP TAKING IT regardless of what your doctor says.”

Ann · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 1, 2020

Boniva (ibandronate): “After taking Alendronate weekly for about a year had to stop because of indigestion. Two years later started taking Boniva (took the generic). Took once a month for 11 months and again experienced indigestion. After stopping it, it took a couple of weeks for the indigestion to go away, but then I started feeling sick when I was hungry. Very tired, no energy, etc. diagnosed with gastritis caused by the drug. I will never take it again and will have to find a drug free way to manage my osteoporosis.”

Juls · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2020

Boniva (ibandronate): “The side effect of severe back pain started four days after taking the Boniva. I’m on day five and can’t get out of bed this morning. Pain medicine and a heating pad are the only things that provide some relief, but it’s worse today than yesterday. I don’t know what to do.”

Anka · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2020

Boniva (ibandronate): “I have been on Boniva for 2 months. After taking my second monthly dose I have developed severe stomach upset, bloating, pain at the sternum and moderate joint/bone pain all over. I feel as I have flu for 7 days now. I am so surprised I did not receive warnings from my MD. Reading these reviews is an eye-opener. I will not take Boniva.”

red · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2019

Boniva (ibandronate): “I have taken one dose of this medicine and have felt awful. The first 2 days were ok and then I started having stomach pains, nausea, aching all over. I'm on day 6 from taking it and still don't fee better. As someone else wrote, I feel poisoned. I hope this goes away soon. Do not plan to take another dose.”

Ladyd · Taken for less than 1 month November 27, 2019

Boniva (ibandronate): “I too have just been prescribed this but have not taken it yet. After reading pages and pages of this poison, will not take it. I am leaving for UK in a couple of days and do not want to spoil the occasion by being sick and the possibility of being in hospital. Will take my chances and try more natural things. So sorry to hear about side effects to all of you. My doctor won't be too pleased when I tell her but tough, I'm not going through any more discomfort.”

Lynn · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2019

Boniva (ibandronate): “I took one boniva pill and suffered severe joint pain. At first I could hardly walk but as time passed, the pain has settled into my right knee which hurts most of the time. I took the drug 22 days ago and the pain is still there. I do not know how long it will last.”

Learn more about Osteoporosis