User Reviews for Boniva

Prevention of Osteoporosis
4.4

Summary of Boniva reviews 4.9 39 reviews

Reviews for Boniva

For Osteoporosis "I took Fosomax, then Boniva, then Reclast for osteopenia about ten years ago. (docs changed each drug to next due to potential side effects). I am a bone cancer survivor and when I had a dexascan in July, the good leg’s femur ball (right leg) has osteoporosis so the doctor again put me on Boniva. I took the first dose on 7/12/18 w 2000 mg of calcium with vit D daily. By July 29, the pain and muscle spasms in my affected post cancer left leg started hurting so badly, I couldn’t walk. I called the OB and she said add 500 milligrams of magnesium for muscle spasms. Advil did nothing. I called my surgeon because I was afraid my cancer was back. He advised tonic water with quinine which helped a bit but is going to follow up w an X-ray to be sure. In the Boniva literature, it says, “Stop using ibandronate and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects ******severe joint, bone, or muscle pain; ******new or unusual pain in your thigh or hip No more for me."

NonaP August 12, 2018

For Osteoporosis "Yesterday I took my first boniva tablet. I had gotten up and took the pill with a glass of water as directed. I timed my 60 minutes before I could take anything else. I was standing and walked my dog. Within 15 minutes I felt a reflux and felt weak and light-headed so I went home and had a smaller glass of water. I remained upright sitting for 2 hours. I continued to sit upright until 4pm. I felt like I had the flu: weak, nauseated, light-headed and chills. I took a nap from 4-7pm. When I got up I felt better with only feeling still weak. Today I woke up feeling fine but have had loose stools all day. I have not yet spoken to my Dr. But I won't take Boniva second time. I don't want to spend 2 days feeling ill. I will try other recommendations from my Dr."

Piper (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2018

For Prevention of Osteoporosis "I've only taken one pill (150 mg) monthly dose. That was 2 days ago. Have had a little more heartburn than usual (I already have reflux) and take meds for it. I've had a little more joint pain and stiffness than usual (but am used to it): am 61 yrs young after all. Just a little headache this morning. Some dizziness the first day. I was just diagnosed with Osteopenia last month. The side effects aren't that bad. I consider it so worth it (considering the alternative - ending up hunched over; unable to stand up straight like the women I sometimes see in public. Note: since taking this drug, I've noticed I can stand upright more. I was beginning to be hunched over. I have a slight degree of scoliosis also. Perhaps if I had taken more calcium and vitamin D when younger, this might not have happened to me. Stopped drinking milk when I was in my 40s. Big mistake."

Charlotte (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2018

For Prevention of Osteoporosis "I took my first dose last March 1st, am standing up. I was taking other supplements for calcium and I followed the OB GYNE’s instruction as well as the one inside the package. I had breakfast 2 hours later and took my other supplements an hour later. At late afternoon, my voice started getting hoarse, then I was having heartburn extending to my back. I thought it was just reflux but despite taking my reflux med, it never went away instead it aggravated. At 9pm, I can hardly move my body and had diarrhea. I slept on my tummy and when I woke up at 11pm, I was feverish and it was very difficult to get up I thought I will be paralyzed ... seriously! I was rushed to the hospital and was confined for 2 days. While at home, I still have slight chest pains and pain on the joint between my left arm and shoulder. This drug is sold at a very high price and the adverse effects even cost me more!!!! I will never take this again and would caution my friends from taking it !"

MTV (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

For Osteoporosis "I can’t say how effective it is I've just taken my first pill yesterday. Started with lack of appetite then day later back pain, joint pain, chills, Temp of 100 with flu like symptoms. Been in bed most of the day. I don’t think it’s worth feeling this bad. The other meds for Osteoporosis all have the same side effects For anyone that has experienced these side effects how long does it last?"

K (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2018

For Osteoporosis "Ok. I went ahead and took the second round. I had no side effects this time. Honestly I was very nervous considering what I went through the first time, but I had no problems. It must be working because I usually take motrin or tylenol for back pain several times a day every day. I only had to take Motrin twice all month and my back fractures haven't bothered me nearly as much. Hopefully the Boniva is doing some good now. :) (also, the doc put me on 3,000 mg of calcium /day)."

Miranda Sue (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2018

For Osteoporosis "I started my first pill last Friday morning. All day Friday I felt good. Saturday morning I woke up with severe sternum pain and pain around my lower ribs. I hurt so bad I called the clinic. They said it was one of the side effects and just alternate between tylenol and motrin for the rest of the day. My hips hurt, my knee hurt, and from 9 am to 1 pm (4 hours) I had horrible chills and my hands felt ice cold. By nighttime my arm bones hurt. Sunday my lower back started to hurt. Motrin again. Monday arms ached all day. Tuesday felt better. I never had the diarrhea. I'm surprised how many women said the same thing about the horrible sternum pain. My doctor says the next dose won't be so bad...wondering if I should even do a next dose. My mother is badly stooped over and I want to avoid that but am having second thoughts about this medication."

Miranda Sue February 2, 2018

For Prevention of Osteoporosis "After two months on this I developed horrid jaw pains. Dr told me to stop or for two months and then try it again. Once agin horrid jaw pains. Needless to say I stopped it"

Kedilee (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2017

For Osteoporosis "After taking this drug for the past 4 years my femur broke while I was walking, I fell and could not get up. There was no trauma causing this fall. I now find it takes an average of 8.5 months to heal, and healing may not be complete and pain free."

Anonymous September 11, 2017

For Prevention of Osteoporosis "Just took my first monthly dose yesterday. After about 5 hours severe diarrhea started and I still have it a day later. Back pain with chest heaviness too. I feel like I have been run over by a Mack truck. Don't know if I will continue the medication."

Dissapointed (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

For Prevention of Osteoporosis "I had a DEXA scan in July 2015 and was not given the specific results by my doctor, just that I had osteopenia. She recommended I take Boniva so I took it for two months and had severe pain in my left hip. I went back and she changed me to Fosimax which I took for 4 weeks. My hip pain continued. I refused to take any more medication. My hip continued to deteriorate and in May 2017 I had a total left hip replacement. I just had another bone scan yesterday and the technician was comparing my current results with the 2015 test. That is when I found out I had ZERO deterioration in my left hip in July 2015 and no pain until I started taking Boniva. I would NEVER recommend this drug to anyone!!!"

P.T. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2017

For Osteoporosis "Dr advised taking Boniva,,,,,,,,,,I was so happy that there would be a cure so I wouldn't be bent up like my mother is. However, upon investigation, Boniva works by not letting the dead used up bone from naturally shedding. See you get good bone around the dead brittle bone......yes you guessed it when you have your scan the density includes this. Thats why on the leaflet it still warns of brittle bones. I have stopped taking it. I also got pains and all my joints started clicking.....is that normal?"

Deb, 56 have osteoporosis. (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2017

For Osteoporosis "Got a call from my rheumatologist today advising that my recent bone density test showed no improvement in my osteoporosis. I've been taking Boniva, 150 mg tablet, monthly for five (5) years. Have had a few side affects with the drug but nothing that has been troublesome to the extent that I wanted to discontinue the therapy. My rheumatologist now wants me to discontinue Boniva and try a different drug. Needless to say, I was disappointed in having spent five years taking a drug that was not beneficial. C'est la vie."

OldAv8tor (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 23, 2016

For Osteoporosis "I have osteopena and I have taken fosamax and then boniva for about 28 years and have had no side effects at all and my osteopena as shown in bone scans has not gotten worse. I am very active and have no pains and very good health. I am now 90 years old and recently fell and broke my wrist and fractured my pelvis because I stumbled over a curb.Both fractures healed within several months and I am back to being completely normal not having to use any devices for walking and I continue to travel all over the world. I give a lot of credit to both fosamax and boniva and would like for others to know about my experience as I believe these drugs are responsible for my good health."

Cruising Princess (taken for 10 years or more) August 17, 2016

For Osteoporosis "I had been on Boniva for 18 months and woke one night with severe chest pain and pain in my throat and jaw. For the next three months I ran high fevers and suffered chills and incredible pain. My internist denied that it could be this drug and didn't even tell me to stop taking it. I have spent thousands of dollars on tests and nothing has indicated that it could be anything else but the drug. The only way I have been able to function has been by taking Prednisone and tons of Advil. Be very careful if you take this drug and if you get any of these symptoms STOP TAKING IT regardless of what your doctor says."

bsdfrmd (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 4, 2015

For Osteoporosis "I am 41 years old. I have been taking Boniva for the last 3 months with no side effects so far. Fingers crossed."

Tnbc survivor AS October 10, 2015

For Osteoporosis "I just took my first Boniva pill on September 14, 2015, it is now 2 weeks later and I literally feel like I was hit by a truck. My back muscle pain started almost after about the fifth day. Now my upper back and knees and arm muscles are all hurting. I also have pressure and discomfort in the groin area. Really do not care whether it improves bone density or not. I have already decided to discontinue use!!! I have never in my life felt this terrible."

Disappointed Patient September 29, 2015

For Osteoporosis "This is the second round of taking Boniva tablets. I had significant improvement, such that I could quit taking it after 8 months. Two years later, my bone density results indicated that I was again starting to lose bone density so am on boniva again. I responded well and quickly, but I think I quit taking it too soon. I am taking the once monthly tablet and the first three months, each time, I had really bad muscle pain in my back for two days after taking the pill, but since I knew that was one of the possible side effects, I weighed the benefits against the muscle pain and chose to continue taking it. I have been on Boniva this round for nine months now, and I no longer have the muscle pain or any other side effects."

chelabailey May 30, 2015

For Osteoporosis "I took this and the next day, have been sick with flu like symptoms today severe stomach upset and cramps, chills. "

bonivaisthedevil (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2014

For Osteoporosis "I had bad osteoporosis and the doctor put me on Boniva and 2 years later the osteoporosis and osteopenia was almost gone! In some places it was. I loved this medicine but since I lost my job and my insurance and can no longer take it. The discount insurance I have doesn't cover brand names or even anything similar. I am a couple of years away from Medicare so I hope I can start back again then. I had absolutely no side effects other than it cured me!"

soldiermom11 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 10, 2013

For Osteoporosis "Got severe side-effect from taking Boniva (150mg monthly) for 3 months. Crippling, debilitating bone-joint pain at the hip. Very stiff sensation at the chest sternum and ribs. Went to Urgent Care twice. Flat on bed for 2 months with intense pain and prescribed pain killers (hydrocodone/Dilaudid, prednisone, etc.) have no effect. Discontinue taking Boniva and the pain subsides after three months. Three doctors don't believe it is the Boniva side effect until the fourth MD specialist, a rheumatologist recognizes the Boniva side effect symptoms after a long differential diagnostic (she also has two previous patients with similar symptoms after taking Boniva). "

TriDanielFT August 30, 2013

For Osteoporosis "I have spontaneous necrosis of the knee. Have only had one dose of I.V. Boniva so far (10 days ago) but I wanted to post something positive on this site because I found most of the reviews to be very disheartening when I read them prior to my infusion. I experienced zero side-effects after I received the infusion. I kept expecting something to happen but I was perfectly fine. Obviously it is too soon to tell whether it will help my condition, but I am keeping a positive outlook."

Penster (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2013

For Osteoporosis "Have had severe muscle pain in my upper thighs that lasts for 3 or 4 days after taking my monthly dose. Also have heartburn."

kim h April 3, 2013

For Prevention of Osteoporosis "I took my first dose of Bonita 150mgs and woke up the next day with severe headache and abdominal spasms. I feel exhausted, almost flu like. I'm checking with my Dr. Now since today is the 2nd day of the same symptoms."

Imagemax (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2013

For Osteoporosis "Have been taking Boniva for about 8 months. I thought all was well but twice since starting a monthly dose, I have had 2 episodes of severe rash and swelling on my face. The second time it happened I had 2 days of fever and back pain. As soon as the fever broke, the rash appeared. I went to the ER and next day to a specialist, it was that bad. Will have to discontinue use ."

Kymare January 25, 2013