User Reviews for Actonel

Osteoporosis
3.8

Summary of Actonel reviews 4.0 17 reviews

Reviews for Actonel

For Osteoporosis "1st dose made me vomit within 30 minutes. I lost the weekly pill into the toilet when up chucking. Called the pharmacist and she said take another. I did and lost that too the same way Called the doctor and he said take another with food and sit upright for at least 30 minutes. He said that if I vomited that one as well, just stop. I did and vomited that one out as well. I stopped taking it. I continued to vomit and felt nauseated for over a month, then I started to get a deep pain in my groin at the top of my legs and upper thighs. It's now 4 months later and my deep groin and upper thigh pain continue but are finally easing. I'm never touching these bisphosphonates again. Awful stuff!"

Bob (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2018

For Osteoporosis "I had an over active parathyroid. It was sucking the calcium out of my bones. It affected me in my hips to where I could hardly walk. My doctor finally put me on Actonel before I was supposed to have surgery to remove the parathyroid. Within a couple of weeks, my hips stopped hurting. I was taking the dosage of once a week. My one frustration was the doctor not putting me on it sooner when I was starting to hurt."

anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2018

For Osteoporosis "For 3 years I aim taking this medicine and the results of the bone scan showed a worsening of the situation. I have problems with my stomac, so it's the best to look for an other solution."

Anonymous August 31, 2016

For Osteoporosis "I started having back pains after I took Actonel pills"

Betin January 21, 2016

For Osteoporosis "I was on Actonel for five years. I did not relate the problem I was having to the drug until after I stopped taking Actonel. I developed dry eyes. They were so bad, they would wake me up every night five or six times and I would have to put eye drops in so I could go back to sleep. During the day, I would have to excuse myself from meetings, etc. to leave the room to put eye drops in my eyes. I went to several eye doctors and all they could do was say I had dry eye syndrome and wanted me to start Restasis. I had read that you have to use this forever and I was reluctant to start it. I put up with the dry eye problem for years. My doctor took me off Actonel after the five years and after a few months, my dry eye problem completely went away!! I was so surprised and appreciative! Even while I was on Actonel, I read the side effects and nothing was ever mentioned about dry eyes. That is the reason I am writing this review so that others may have some hope that this problem may be caused by Actonel and is reversible once the drug is stopped."

annallen December 15, 2015

For Prevention of Osteoporosis "I have been taking actonel for several years and as far as I know have never had a side affect. I feel like it is helping me from all kinds of problems that most women by this age.(78) have. I have recently heard that you shouldn't take it for years, is that true?"

sharon7 May 9, 2015

For Osteoporosis "Took this medication for 5 months. From the start I had problems tolerating the medicine. It made me nauseous. The worst side effect was the bone pain."

Momrn13 December 7, 2014

For Osteoporosis "Knowing I am very reluctant to pill taking in general, my doctor pushed Actonel on me saying ''now don't give it up after a few months !" I persevered for 10 months. I used to be very active, exercising everyday, talking long walks, realizing I have aged 10 years in those ten months. I did some research on the net and understood where my problems came from. Aching everywhere, stiff, tired ... I stopped."

Discouraged (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2014

For Osteoporosis "Good result."

memoin November 7, 2013

For Osteoporosis "I took Actonel, as directed, for four months. Each time, my body ached so badly that I could barely walk and had to take time off from work. I took myself off the medication because I just couldn't function. I go back to my doctor tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be scolded."

Lynne G September 3, 2013

For Osteoporosis "Had terrible vomiting and diarrhea, that took two weeks to recover from this occurred every month after the first four months! Stopped taking it and have since started to recover and regain a little weight"

Anonymous November 24, 2012

For Osteoporosis "The first few months I experienced flu-like symptoms. Then joint and muscle pain followed. I couldn't even walk or climb stairs without pain. I am only 52! After 10 months on it I gave up."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2012

For Osteoporosis "I took Actonel for 7 months. I'm 55 yrs young and active! One day each month after taking Actonel I had flu-like symptoms for 4 months and then it got better, however I experienced esophagus burning."

Anonymous May 8, 2011

For Paget's Disease "Thank GOD for this drug. Busted my leg and ankle, diagnosed PAGETS, tried myacalcin and FOSAMAX. Leg pain minimal now. I do take 30mg daily! It has been over 12 months of treatment now. I ran out once for 5 days and pain was intolerable...resumed ACTONEL and pain gone in 2 days."

mikewbart November 22, 2009

For Osteoporosis "By the end of the first day I was very lethargic and had abdominal cramps and bloating, followed by diarrhea. Throughout the night and all through the second day, I experienced flu-like symptoms, relieved slightly with aspirin, but continued with abdominal tenderness and discomfort as well as very lethargic. By the third day, the muscle aches were gone, but the abdominal tenderness continued. Appetite did go down. Hopefully, there is truth to the first dose being the most difficult in regards to side effects."

Minn June 22, 2009

For Osteoporosis "First day, no symptoms. Next day a bit achy. But the next day felt bloated and nauseous. The achy flu-like symptoms were gone but for the next week, I felt sick, constipated and had no appetite. "

Anonymous April 23, 2009

For Osteoporosis "I was diagnosed with osteoporosis and after 6 years of taking this drug my last bone density showed no osteoporosis!"

Anonymous May 2, 2008