User Reviews for Actonel to treat Osteoporosis

Actonel Rating Summary

3.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 116 medications used in the treatment of Osteoporosis.

Reviews for Actonel

"1st dose made me vomit within 30 minutes. I lost the weekly pill into the toilet when up chucking. Called the pharmacist and she said take another. I did and lost that too the same way Called the doctor and he said take another with food and sit upright for at least 30 minutes. He said that if I vomited that one as well, just stop. I did and vomited that one out as well. I stopped taking it. I continued to vomit and felt nauseated for over a month, then I started to get a deep pain in my groin at the top of my legs and upper thighs. It's now 4 months later and my deep groin and upper thigh pain continue but are finally easing. I'm never touching these bisphosphonates again. Awful stuff!"

Bob (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2018

"I had an over active parathyroid. It was sucking the calcium out of my bones. It affected me in my hips to where I could hardly walk. My doctor finally put me on Actonel before I was supposed to have surgery to remove the parathyroid. Within a couple of weeks, my hips stopped hurting. I was taking the dosage of once a week. My one frustration was the doctor not putting me on it sooner when I was starting to hurt."

anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2018

"For 3 years I aim taking this medicine and the results of the bone scan showed a worsening of the situation. I have problems with my stomac, so it's the best to look for an other solution."

Anonymous August 31, 2016

"I started having back pains after I took Actonel pills"

Betin January 21, 2016

"I was on Actonel for five years. I did not relate the problem I was having to the drug until after I stopped taking Actonel. I developed dry eyes. They were so bad, they would wake me up every night five or six times and I would have to put eye drops in so I could go back to sleep. During the day, I would have to excuse myself from meetings, etc. to leave the room to put eye drops in my eyes. I went to several eye doctors and all they could do was say I had dry eye syndrome and wanted me to start Restasis. I had read that you have to use this forever and I was reluctant to start it. I put up with the dry eye problem for years. My doctor took me off Actonel after the five years and after a few months, my dry eye problem completely went away!! I was so surprised and appreciative! Even while I was on Actonel, I read the side effects and nothing was ever mentioned about dry eyes. That is the reason I am writing this review so that others may have some hope that this problem may be caused by Actonel and is reversible once the drug is stopped."

annallen December 15, 2015

"Took this medication for 5 months. From the start I had problems tolerating the medicine. It made me nauseous. The worst side effect was the bone pain."

Momrn13 December 7, 2014

"Knowing I am very reluctant to pill taking in general, my doctor pushed Actonel on me saying ''now don't give it up after a few months !" I persevered for 10 months. I used to be very active, exercising everyday, talking long walks, realizing I have aged 10 years in those ten months. I did some research on the net and understood where my problems came from. Aching everywhere, stiff, tired ... I stopped."

Discouraged (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2014

"Good result."

memoin November 7, 2013

"I took Actonel, as directed, for four months. Each time, my body ached so badly that I could barely walk and had to take time off from work. I took myself off the medication because I just couldn't function. I go back to my doctor tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be scolded."

Lynne G September 3, 2013

"Had terrible vomiting and diarrhea, that took two weeks to recover from this occurred every month after the first four months! Stopped taking it and have since started to recover and regain a little weight"

Anonymous November 24, 2012

"The first few months I experienced flu-like symptoms. Then joint and muscle pain followed. I couldn't even walk or climb stairs without pain. I am only 52! After 10 months on it I gave up."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2012

"I took Actonel for 7 months. I'm 55 yrs young and active! One day each month after taking Actonel I had flu-like symptoms for 4 months and then it got better, however I experienced esophagus burning."

Anonymous May 8, 2011

"By the end of the first day I was very lethargic and had abdominal cramps and bloating, followed by diarrhea. Throughout the night and all through the second day, I experienced flu-like symptoms, relieved slightly with aspirin, but continued with abdominal tenderness and discomfort as well as very lethargic. By the third day, the muscle aches were gone, but the abdominal tenderness continued. Appetite did go down. Hopefully, there is truth to the first dose being the most difficult in regards to side effects."

Minn June 22, 2009

"First day, no symptoms. Next day a bit achy. But the next day felt bloated and nauseous. The achy flu-like symptoms were gone but for the next week, I felt sick, constipated and had no appetite. "

Anonymous April 23, 2009

"I was diagnosed with osteoporosis and after 6 years of taking this drug my last bone density showed no osteoporosis!"

Anonymous May 2, 2008