User Reviews for Fosamax

Fosamax has an average rating of 2.4 out of 10 from a total of 47 ratings on Drugs.com. 14% of those users who reviewed Fosamax reported a positive effect, while 84% reported a negative effect.

Prevention of Osteoporosis   3.0
Osteoporosis   2.2
Summary of Fosamax reviews 2.4 47 reviews

Reviews for Fosamax

Tooth March 3, 2021

For Osteoporosis: “I was put on this med and within one month my teeth started to fall out in a slow sad way, my pain became worse as well as my body muscles deteriorated, but I kept taking this medication, why?”

redsox · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2021

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “Prescribed Fosomax and took only ONE weekly pill and after 2 days I felt deep bone pain in my thigh, like drop you in your tracks pain. For 3 days after I truly thought I would have a thigh fracture - so I quit. Going the supplement route so we will see. If it works for you great-not for me.”

Fred · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “After taking Fosamax for two months I started experiencing terrible indigestion, GERD, stomach pain and intestinal swelling. It felt like I was 8 months pregnant. My doctor told me to stop. 6 months later the symptoms have eased but still present. I fear it has given me gastric ulcers.”

Tropico · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “Used it twice. Stopped taking it. I can't recommend it. My doctor prescribed it because I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. First dose was very bad. Diarrhea, stomach pain like ulcers, very tired. Second dose was even worse. Diarrhea SEVERE stomach cramps, I thought of going to the hospital. Joint pains in my ankle and knee. Do NOT use if you have any stomach problems. It feels like it is damaging, eating the stomach lining. Very scary experience.”

Mary · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2020

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “Fosamax gave me absolutely shocking joint pain & diarrhoea all the time.”

ARhoHo · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I started on Fosamax in mid-July 2020 and after the third dose, two mornings later my left wrist was swollen to the size of a baseball! I discontinued the Fosamax since I believed it was the cause. My family doc didn't think so, but I saw a rheumatologist who concurred with me. He thought Fosamax caused the swelling. I'm now trying Actonel. I hope I have better luck with it.”

Jo · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 18, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “Used Fosamax for two years and my bone density declined and was worse than when I started the drug.”

Jenjen · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “Doctor prescribed Fosamax for my osteoporosis to be taken once a week. Started taking it and after second dose my legs felt like lead and I felt irritable and depressed. Persisted for another 3 weeks until I developed terrible skin rash and weeping sores. Saw my doctor who took me off Fosamax immediately. I will continue with Calcium and Vitamin D3 and continue to exercise and eat healthy. Side effects of Fosamax are not worth the risk.”

Tripnfall · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2020

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “I was diagnosed with osteopenia a few years ago after cancer treatment. Oncologist recommended Fosamax, but I took oral calcium and D instead. No improvement. I had a fall and suffered a severe mid foot fracture. A moth later another fall, fractured wrist. I started taking the Fosamax a couple months ago. Sometimes difficult to remember to take it before eating. I take the following day. I sit up for 30 minutes after. I have GERD, so I have been taking Pepcid for several years. So far none of the side effects experienced. I am hoping my bones become stronger, scared of falling again.”

Anjanetta · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I reluctantly began Fosamax due to my worsening osteopenia. I was fine after the first dose last week, no side effects at all. However, after this weeks dose, I’ve had a SEVERE pain in my chest. It’s been 4 days since I’ve taken it and I still can’t eat because it hurts so much to swallow. Not to mention the nausea. I can only sip water and even that hurts going down. I’m taking a generic pepcid and rolaids to help with this unbearable indigestion. I’m praying this drug hasn’t done permanent damage to my esophagus. This drug should be taken off the market.”

Purplenurse · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “Started fosamax this weekly medication. Took 3 doses and stopped after 3rd because of severe pain, swelling and decreased range of motion in wrists and right elbow. Startling side effects - (never have side effects), I would not recommend this medication to anyone. Ever.”

Natalir · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I took Two weekly doses of Fosamax then stopped because of side effects. Rapid weight gain, acute abdominal distinction (like I’m 7 months pregnant), aching back, aching hips, fatigue and random itching. Been off it for a month and side effects have not abated at all. It’s like I woke up and suddenly aged an extra 30 years overnight. Hope the side effects go away soon.”

Barb February 26, 2020

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “I have taken Fosamax for 30 years. I have never had a problem. My back is strong. No problems.”

Sis · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “Have resisted alendronate sodium for years, but finally gave in. Took, I think, 5 doses (once a week). After last dose had such severe pain in hip, leg, knee, most of right side -- the worst pain I have ever had, and I have had two babies and two hip replacements. Blood work, urine work and x-rays revealed nothing serious. Two weeks later, I am a little better on strong pain meds. Could not sit or stand up without crying out in pain. Am hoping to have full recovery. BTW I am the one who realized the connection and told my doctor, not the other way around. I would NEVER recommend this to anyone!”

Cillagirl · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “First dose I felt achy and joint pain but it went away in a few days. Second dose my joints hurt so bad I could hardly move. I stop taking them after the second dose. It has been two weeks and my bones and joints hurt so bad. Why is this still prescribed? It is horrible. I had no joint pain before taking this.”

Walker · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I was on fosamax for 3 months and everything was fine until I started getting pressure in my chest, had EKG, chest X-ray, everything was fine but pressure was still there, stopped it immediately after talking to pharmacist and that was one of the serious side effect, it’s been 4 weeks I have been off it and still have chest pressure which can take a few more months or longer to go away. I WOULD NEVER TAKE THIS AGAIN”

ShellBell · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “First dose of the weekly today — I have had diarrhea all day cannot leave the house, my butt is so raw I am using my baby grandsons Desinex. Every time I get up to go to the bathroom I was really dizzy and my knees are a little painful can only be thankful that I started this on my day off of work hopefully this diarrhea stops by tomorrow — for one will NOT BE TAKING A SECOND DOSE OF THIS .. I am done with fosamax —”

Kitkat January 21, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I started taking Fosamax after I completed some dental work. My dentist refused to do implant if I was on the medication. After several weeks of taking the drug I started having achy joints and difficulty stepping up, headaches and weakness in my legs. Motrin didn't help at all. I didn't correlate the symptoms and the drug. I went to my doctor and requested PT because of returning problems with my sciatica. During this time I stopped the Fosamax for stupid reasons. Sometime later I started taking the drug again. This time it hit me like a brick wall. I was pet sitting for my son and literally had to pull myself up the stairs. Not realizing the drug was causing all these problems I asked for PT for my shoulder and hip. After 5 PT appointments my shoulder was worse and no improvement overall. Had a MRI of my shoulder and now have a torn rotator cuff. Yippee. Been through that before. I believe the Fosamax caused the tear and no clue about the hip.”

Maggie · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 8, 2020

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “I took Fosamax for several months back in 2010 . My scan showed osteopenia. After those months I started to have severe bone pain in both legs .A large amount of my hair also fell out as well . . I stopped the Fosamax . The pain took about 6 months to stop . The hair stopped falling out and after a year returned to normal . Terrible experience .”

Ranchmama · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I had a bone scan. Dr said I had mild osteoporosis and to take Fosamax one a week and some added supplements to help bone repair . I took it on a Monday. Within 24 hrs. I hurt head to toe! Deep down bone and tissue pain. Tylenol didn’t touch it. I was in a recliner for 3 days crying to get up to go to the bathroom. I have had morphine for less pain than this! I’m tough but this was ridiculous! My muscles and bones hurt so bad just to breathe even. My knee swelled up along with all other pain. After 3 days it started to improve slightly every day. After 7 days I went to the chiropractor. He put my right jaw, 3 or 4 ribs, my left shoulder, and knee back in place. All from taking this drug! Doctor offered to give me a shot that lasted 6 months, I said absolutely not!”

PhilliesPhan · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 18, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I took Fosamax weekly for 2-1/2 years with great improvement in my DEXA scores. Suddenly had bad chest pain, spasm, and heartburn, diagnosed as GERD. After 2 months on PPI therapy, my nephrologist told me to stop Fosamax as that was to blame. My PCP, rheumatologist (who prescribed Fosamax for me), and GI doctor didn’t make the connection.”

Tish · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 16, 2019

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “I was prescribed Fosamax for osteopenia. I have taken a total of 6 doses. I had no side effects for the first 2 weeks. By the 3rd week extreme fatigue and headaches. I continued for another 3 weeks hoping symptoms would go away. When they didn't I discontinued taking it but a week AFTER I quit I developed severe bone pain, unbearable pain which is worse at night. I am taking arthritis drug to make the days bearable. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THIS PAIN EVENTUALLY GOES AWAY!! I will be calling my Dr. on Monday.”

Nurse · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “Took two doses one week apart. Headache, relentless gas, moderate to severe pain in my jaw, ear, hip, shin causing sleepless nights. Don’t plan to continue making myself miserable by taking this medication. I’m glad it works to improve DEX scans on some women. Unfortunately, I can’t continue this medication.”

Middle · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2019

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “This medication fosamax caused me so much pain! I couldn't walk if I tried I would scream from the pain.”

Susie Q · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I’ve been on fosamax for 3 weeks, taking it once a week, on a Sunday. The first week I was constipated, bloating. That lasted most of the week. I started my second round on Sunday, Monday afternoon I started having joint and muscle pain. By late in the afternoon my knees were swollen and I had difficulty walking and climbing 2-3 stairs. By Thursday I was feeling back to normal. This past Sunday I took my third pill, the next day I had joint and muscle pain, flue like symptoms, headache, nausea, fever, chills. I’ve decided to stop the medication and take coral calcium and a vitamin D supplement.”