User Reviews for Risedronate

Also known as: Actonel, Atelvia

Risedronate has an average rating of 2.7 out of 10 from a total of 63 ratings on Drugs.com. 15% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 78% reported a negative experience.

Osteoporosis
10.0
Summary of Risedronate reviews 2.7 63 reviews

Reviews for Risedronate

Discouraged · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · March 30, 2014

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: “Knowing I am very reluctant to pill taking in general, my doctor pushed Actonel on me saying ''now don't give it up after a few months !" I persevered for 10 months. I used to be very active, exercising everyday, talking long walks, realizing I have aged 10 years in those ten months. I did some research on the net and understood where my problems came from. Aching everywhere, stiff, tired ... I stopped.”

annallen · December 15, 2015

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: “I was on Actonel for five years. I did not relate the problem I was having to the drug until after I stopped taking Actonel. I developed dry eyes. They were so bad, they would wake me up every night five or six times and I would have to put eye drops in so I could go back to sleep. During the day, I would have to excuse myself from meetings, etc. to leave the room to put eye drops in my eyes. I went to several eye doctors and all they could do was say I had dry eye syndrome and wanted me to start Restasis. I had read that you have to use this forever and I was reluctant to start it. I put up with the dry eye problem for years. My doctor took me off Actonel after the five years and after a few months, my dry eye problem completely went away!! I was so surprised and appreciative! Even while I was on Actonel, I read the side effects and nothing was ever mentioned about dry eyes. That is the reason I am writing this review so that others may have some hope that this problem may be caused by Actonel and is reversible once the drug is stopped.”

Essa · May 7, 2021

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: “I took Actenol on Monday on weekly dosage. I have been so sick for 3 days, with stomach ache, headache, sore back vomited once. I will not continue. How long does it take to get better. I have been off work.”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month · June 22, 2018

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: “1st dose made me vomit within 30 minutes. I lost the weekly pill into the toilet when up chucking. Called the pharmacist and she said take another. I did and lost that too the same way Called the doctor and he said take another with food and sit upright for at least 30 minutes. He said that if I vomited that one as well, just stop. I did and vomited that one out as well. I stopped taking it. I continued to vomit and felt nauseated for over a month, then I started to get a deep pain in my groin at the top of my legs and upper thighs. It's now 4 months later and my deep groin and upper thigh pain continue but are finally easing. I'm never touching these bisphosphonates again. Awful stuff!”

D · November 1, 2018

Actonel (risedronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: “Stay away from any of these listed! I took Actonel for a couple of years and had severe joint and bone pain, that continued for over 10 years! I kept reporting the side effects to my primary MD, he finally told me to quit after his MD wife could not get out of bed because of the effects on her. She gave up her practice. After much discussion and putting off, I agreed to try Prolea ( the injectable), same symptoms, but worse. Talk to a knowledge yoga or holistic practioner for safe resolutions. Don't be blinded by what the drug companies push, take care of yourself”

Lou · Taken for less than 1 month · March 7, 2021

For Osteoporosis: “I took my very first weekly prescription yesterday as prescribed . At 2:00 I began feeling severe back and jaw pain . I could not move without excruciating pain. I could not walk alone. I developed a horrible headache and began shaking in a seizure like manner, violently. I began vomiting and could not take a deep breath. I thought I was going to die. My husband was going to call an ambulance but he found a phenergan . I took it and 20 minutes later I fell asleep. The pain in my entire back, spine and muscles is unbearable today. I have not been out of bed except for bathroom privileges, but, need assistance. If I am not better tomorrow, I will not be able to work. This was just horrible! The worst night of my life!!”

Lynne G · September 3, 2013

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: “I took Actonel, as directed, for four months. Each time, my body ached so badly that I could barely walk and had to take time off from work. I took myself off the medication because I just couldn't function. I go back to my doctor tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be scolded.”

honest316 · Taken for 5 to 10 years · May 4, 2021

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: “I am a 66 year old man who after 5 years showed NO improvement in the hip area with Oral Bisphosphanates (I took them religiously the way you are supposed to and did not have any digestive issues). With the Oral Bisphosphanate my hip BMD degraded. The spine only showed minimal improvement. Two years ago (2018) I had a fragility fracture walking down the sidewalk & broke my hip! After that I was on Forteo which gave a 21% increase in BMD of hip! I am disappointed in what Actonel did not do for me. Maybe the FOSMAX name brand is better because of better manufacturing standards. That is something I do not know.”

Jack · Taken for less than 1 month · May 9, 2020

Actonel (risedronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: “Had one tablet . The worst ever indigestion I've ever had after a couple of days, then a week later really bad lower back pain and pain in the stomach. First and last tablet, I'll just go the natural way. Can't put up with that. Ridiculous.”

Anonymous · November 24, 2012

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: “Had terrible vomiting and diarrhea, that took two weeks to recover from this occurred every month after the first four months! Stopped taking it and have since started to recover and regain a little weight”

Jane · Taken for less than 1 month · December 16, 2021

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: “I took 1 monthly dose of Actonel. By that afternoon I was very tired, heavy in my body, next day loss of appetite, diarrhoea and after 5 days severe inflammation and extreme pain all over my body. Then 3 months of fatigue, muscle weakness, pins and needles in face and arms, blurry vision, loss of voice volume. After 12 months my strength is slowly returning but I still fatigue easily and regularly experience pins and needles in my face, and medications I used to be able to take now trigger headaches, fatigue and pins and needles in face, hands and arms. I would like to know how long before these symptoms pass but nobody knows. This drug should be taken off the market.”

Minn · June 22, 2009

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: “By the end of the first day I was very lethargic and had abdominal cramps and bloating, followed by diarrhea. Throughout the night and all through the second day, I experienced flu-like symptoms, relieved slightly with aspirin, but continued with abdominal tenderness and discomfort as well as very lethargic. By the third day, the muscle aches were gone, but the abdominal tenderness continued. Appetite did go down. Hopefully, there is truth to the first dose being the most difficult in regards to side effects.”

Patti · Taken for less than 1 month · October 8, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “After second dose of Actenol, taken once a week, I experience a day of aching joints, temperature, vomiting and could not eat. Second day I still have severe joint, muscle and bone pain. Third day the same. Will not take this again. Terrible drug.”

Mary K · Taken for less than 1 month · August 7, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I took 150 mg once a month pill. I have been on it 2 weeks. No side effects. I am alarmed at some of the reviews of this medicine. I suppose some people don't tolerate it as well as others. I'm 59 yrs old. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis after a bone scan. I had severe, lower back pain, and numbness and tingling in my feet. I hope after a year when I return for a bone scan things will have improved. By the way I used to run 5 days a week 3 to 5 miles a day for 25 years. I stopped 10 years ago. I am continuing to take 1,200 mg of calcium per day and I walk 30 minutes.”

Kayman · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 8, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I was prescribed this medication isedronate several years ago but took it for only a few months. The side effects left me unable to be any distance away from a toilet due to sudden attacks of diarrhea. This lasted for the first 2 days after taking the drug. Also the pain increased and I felt like an old man despite being only 40. Over all it interfered with my fairly active life that I enjoyed so I stopped taking it.”

Lucy · November 15, 2020

Actonel (risedronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: “With beginning of osteoporosis I was prescribed actenol. Took 1st tablet as instructed, next day I started with diarrhoea, then aching all over like bad flu, then a fever, couldn't eat anything. No way in the world I would take this drug again!! 4 days later still not right.”

Suea · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · October 20, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “After seven months of once a week dosing, I have severe pain in my collar bones. I have trouble getting dressed because raising my arms is so painful. Also, my groin is very painful in the morning and after sitting a while. My doctor was too booked up to see me until January. I quit the stuff a week ago. Slight improvement. I hope this pain is not permanent.”

Shopper Sue · Taken for less than 1 month · March 27, 2021

For Osteoporosis: “I commented in January of 2021 after taking risedronate once weekly for 3 weeks. I wanted to update that post. I has now been 3 months since I discontinued this drug and I am still not back to where I was before. Fatigue, bone and muscle pain continue. Walking is difficult some days, painful most days. The muscle pain in my legs keeps me awake at night and I am exhausted. Not sure how much longer till this resolves but hope it will be soon. I was an active person before this and had made a good recovery from leg fracture. I feel worse now than I did during my recovery process.”

Dmw · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 26, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I took my first dose during flu season and 12 hours later I thought I coincidentally came down with the flu. Since it was Christmas I called the doctor on call. I was dismissed as soon as I said ‘fever’ although I did point out it was listed as a side effect. Took my second dose 3 days ago. Same thing. Extreme muscle aches, high fever, esophagus pain, abdominal pain, diarrhea, weekness and in bed for 4 days. I will never take this medicine again. It has been an awful experience. I would consider an alternative . I am angry that I was not told about the possible side effects being so harsh. Who would intentionally do this to themselves?!?”

Maz · Taken for less than 1 month · July 29, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I was prescribed one tablet weekly for osteoporosis due to hormonal changes after menopause. I took first tablet and initially felt okay but after 3 weeks I felt very uncomfortable around my eyes, I felt anxious and wondered how long the symptoms would last. I am scared of my bone condition worsening but I would be even more frightened to take prescription drugs now. I had already tried Alendronic acid but felt ill with that one too.”

anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 19, 2018

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: “I had an over active parathyroid. It was sucking the calcium out of my bones. It affected me in my hips to where I could hardly walk. My doctor finally put me on Actonel before I was supposed to have surgery to remove the parathyroid. Within a couple of weeks, my hips stopped hurting. I was taking the dosage of once a week. My one frustration was the doctor not putting me on it sooner when I was starting to hurt.”

Elizabeth · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 17, 2018

For Osteoporosis: “This drug has caused me so much back and leg pain. I actually have pain throughout my body. My mouth is painful. Lots of tremors. I am so very nauseous, my feet and ankles are numb. I have no energy and just want to sleep all the time. I am extremely depressed. I took the 150 mg in July and again last week. It scares me to think I will have to wait another three weeks to get it out of my system, if it does go away and hopefully I will feel better. It sure has put a dampener on my life at the moment and brought my happy lifestyle to a halt. I will never take this medication again.”

Anonymous · December 16, 2017

For Osteoporosis: “I have been on it for about 4 years and until recently just accepted that I would be ill for a day and got on with it. I did some research and was so startled by what I have found I stopped taking it immediately. The FDA are now saying it should not be taken for more than 2 years. I thought necrosis of the jaw meant the bottom jaw and ignored a problem with my upper jaw. I have been getting dull aches in my hips and sometimes searing pain down my legs. I now read Bisphosphonates cause Atypical femur fracture ie sudden snapping of the femur. The pills cause micro cracks at the head of the femur. There is a lot written out there on Bisphosphonates don't just blindly follow doctors, do your research. Some of the damage is irreversible”

sharon7 · May 9, 2015

Actonel (risedronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: “I have been taking actonel for several years and as far as I know have never had a side affect. I feel like it is helping me from all kinds of problems that most women by this age.(78) have. I have recently heard that you shouldn't take it for years, is that true?”

Ali Bali · March 28, 2017

For Osteoporosis: “I have taken Risendronate for only 3 weeks and have severe bone pain in my hands. I cannot bear the pain. I also have burning sensation in my throat. I was given alendronate to start with and they also made me feel so ill. I won't be taking any more. I really don't know what to do as I don't want the injection or infusion.”