User Reviews for Risedronate

Prevention of Osteoporosis
2.2

Summary of Risedronate reviews 3.8 30 reviews

Reviews for Risedronate

For Osteoporosis: "Developed terrible heartburn/GI issues after one year on this drug. Minimal improvement on DEXA scan. Discontinued use!"

JB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 11, 2018

For Osteoporosis: "This drug has caused me so much back and leg pain. I actually have pain throughout my body. My mouth is painful. Lots of tremors. I am so very nauseous, my feet and ankles are numb. I have no energy and just want to sleep all the time. I am extremely depressed. I took the 150 mg in July and again last week. It scares me to think I will have to wait another three weeks to get it out of my system, if it does go away and hopefully I will feel better. It sure has put a dampener on my life at the moment and brought my happy lifestyle to a halt. I will never take this medication again."

Elizabeth (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2018

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: "1st dose made me vomit within 30 minutes. I lost the weekly pill into the toilet when up chucking. Called the pharmacist and she said take another. I did and lost that too the same way Called the doctor and he said take another with food and sit upright for at least 30 minutes. He said that if I vomited that one as well, just stop. I did and vomited that one out as well. I stopped taking it. I continued to vomit and felt nauseated for over a month, then I started to get a deep pain in my groin at the top of my legs and upper thighs. It's now 4 months later and my deep groin and upper thigh pain continue but are finally easing. I'm never touching these bisphosphonates again. Awful stuff!"

Bob (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2018

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: "I had an over active parathyroid. It was sucking the calcium out of my bones. It affected me in my hips to where I could hardly walk. My doctor finally put me on Actonel before I was supposed to have surgery to remove the parathyroid. Within a couple of weeks, my hips stopped hurting. I was taking the dosage of once a week. My one frustration was the doctor not putting me on it sooner when I was starting to hurt."

anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2018

For Osteoporosis: "I was only able to take 2 doses of risedronate. The side effects were horrible. The 2nd and last dose, was 7 weeks ago. I had extremely painful legs. Both lower legs and feet were, and still are, swollen. I had bloating in my abdomen. The longer I'm off, the side effects are getting better, but it's slow. I've decided to go with supplements and diet changes instead of the prescription medications. The treatment is worse than the benefits for me."

Martha (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2018

For Osteoporosis: "I have been on it for about 4 years and until recently just accepted that I would be ill for a day and got on with it. I did some research and was so startled by what I have found I stopped taking it immediately. The FDA are now saying it should not be taken for more than 2 years. I thought necrosis of the jaw meant the bottom jaw and ignored a problem with my upper jaw. I have been getting dull aches in my hips and sometimes searing pain down my legs. I now read Bisphosphonates cause Atypical femur fracture ie sudden snapping of the femur. The pills cause micro cracks at the head of the femur. There is a lot written out there on Bisphosphonates don't just blindly follow doctors, do your research. Some of the damage is irreversible"

Anonymous December 16, 2017

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I was prescribed Risedronate Sodium 35 mg, in April 17 I have suffered with osteo arthritis of my knees for 10 years despite this I have remained very active leading a nice life, however these past 6 weeks my arthritis and mobility has deteriorated. I am finding walking very difficult I am in a lot of pain and stiffness I am using a walking stick and not wanting to go out. Taking this medication is ruining my life."

anxious lady aged 76 years (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2017

For Osteoporosis: "I have taken Risendronate for only 3 weeks and have severe bone pain in my hands. I cannot bear the pain. I also have burning sensation in my throat. I was given alendronate to start with and they also made me feel so ill. I won't be taking any more. I really don't know what to do as I don't want the injection or infusion."

Ali Bali March 28, 2017

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "Took first pill morning of Oct 4, 2016 & that night went to turn over in bed & felt the most excruciating pain in my lower back radiating through my chest that it took my breath away. In tears, went to my regular dr who prescribed muscle relaxers & home from work for 2 days. I also experienced flu-like symptoms, a recurrence of my acid reflux, tiredness, increased insomnia & just felt lousy. Reluctantly took the 2nd dose in Nov, didn't experience the back pain (but still have episodes of that back spasm but very slight) but did experience all the other side effects. I'm so done with this med and now my gyno wants me to take Prolia. Reading forums and it's side effects, I am scared to death especially since it's a six-month dosage!"

Madre Carol February 2, 2017

Atelvia (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: "bone pain . Sometimes the bone even cannot touch as it will cause unbearable pain. Stop taking it after 5 years and waiting for the pain goes away."

wdli (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 11, 2016

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: "For 3 years I aim taking this medicine and the results of the bone scan showed a worsening of the situation. I have problems with my stomac, so it's the best to look for an other solution."

Anonymous August 31, 2016

For Osteoporosis: "Was on Risodronate for 15 years. My bone density improved. I have been off it for about 2 years and now I am going to go on it again as I have developed stiffness and pain in my hips. I am 75."

UnaColl June 10, 2016

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I have finished 3 doses and will make another appointment to let doctor know I will be discontinuing this medication. I have experienced the following: pain under ribs, stomach ache for two weeks now, terrible bloating and reflux that wakes me up at night. I sleep elevated and have taking 40 mg omeprazole for reflux for years. My reflux has been controlled for years but It is not working with this new medication. I'm 53."

BubbasSue (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2016

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: "I started having back pains after I took Actonel pills"

Betin January 21, 2016

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: "I was on Actonel for five years. I did not relate the problem I was having to the drug until after I stopped taking Actonel. I developed dry eyes. They were so bad, they would wake me up every night five or six times and I would have to put eye drops in so I could go back to sleep. During the day, I would have to excuse myself from meetings, etc. to leave the room to put eye drops in my eyes. I went to several eye doctors and all they could do was say I had dry eye syndrome and wanted me to start Restasis. I had read that you have to use this forever and I was reluctant to start it. I put up with the dry eye problem for years. My doctor took me off Actonel after the five years and after a few months, my dry eye problem completely went away!! I was so surprised and appreciative! Even while I was on Actonel, I read the side effects and nothing was ever mentioned about dry eyes. That is the reason I am writing this review so that others may have some hope that this problem may be caused by Actonel and is reversible once the drug is stopped."

annallen December 15, 2015

Actonel (risedronate) for Prevention of Osteoporosis: "I have been taking actonel for several years and as far as I know have never had a side affect. I feel like it is helping me from all kinds of problems that most women by this age.(78) have. I have recently heard that you shouldn't take it for years, is that true?"

sharon7 May 9, 2015

Atelvia (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: "I am allergic to Fosamax. My doctor gave me an Atelvia sample to try and I found I had no side effects from this medicine. I credit this to its time-release function."

snobird39 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2015

Atelvia (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: "My doctor gave me samples to use while I awaited my insurance to approve. After taking the first dosage in approximately 29 hours I was in the hospital. Side effects for me were extreme bone pain, indigestion. Doctors thought I was having a heart attack. "

Katelynn Anne (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2014

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: "Took this medication for 5 months. From the start I had problems tolerating the medicine. It made me nauseous. The worst side effect was the bone pain."

Momrn13 December 7, 2014

For Osteoporosis: "After taking for 7 years my bone mass has improved significantly - my bone density score is now below the threshold considered osteoporosis. I have had no noticeable side effects."

Much improved December 6, 2014

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: "Knowing I am very reluctant to pill taking in general, my doctor pushed Actonel on me saying ''now don't give it up after a few months !" I persevered for 10 months. I used to be very active, exercising everyday, talking long walks, realizing I have aged 10 years in those ten months. I did some research on the net and understood where my problems came from. Aching everywhere, stiff, tired ... I stopped."

Discouraged (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2014

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: "Good result."

memoin November 7, 2013

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: "I took Actonel, as directed, for four months. Each time, my body ached so badly that I could barely walk and had to take time off from work. I took myself off the medication because I just couldn't function. I go back to my doctor tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be scolded."

Lynne G September 3, 2013

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: "Had terrible vomiting and diarrhea, that took two weeks to recover from this occurred every month after the first four months! Stopped taking it and have since started to recover and regain a little weight"

Anonymous November 24, 2012

Actonel (risedronate) for Osteoporosis: "The first few months I experienced flu-like symptoms. Then joint and muscle pain followed. I couldn't even walk or climb stairs without pain. I am only 52! After 10 months on it I gave up."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2012