User Reviews for Risedronate to treat Prevention of Osteoporosis

Also known as: Actonel, Atelvia

Risedronate has an average rating of 1.3 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Prevention of Osteoporosis. 0% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 100% reported a negative effect.

Risedronate Rating Summary

1.3/10 average rating

Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Prevention of Osteoporosis.

Reviews for Risedronate

D November 1, 2018

Actonel (risedronate): “Stay away from any of these listed! I took Actonel for a couple of years and had severe joint and bone pain, that continued for over 10 years! I kept reporting the side effects to my primary MD, he finally told me to quit after his MD wife could not get out of bed because of the effects on her. She gave up her practice. After much discussion and putting off, I agreed to try Prolea ( the injectable), same symptoms, but worse. Talk to a knowledge yoga or holistic practioner for safe resolutions. Don't be blinded by what the drug companies push, take care of yourself”

Jack · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2020

Actonel (risedronate): “Had one tablet . The worst ever indigestion I've ever had after a couple of days, then a week later really bad lower back pain and pain in the stomach. First and last tablet, I'll just go the natural way. Can't put up with that. Ridiculous.”

Lucy November 15, 2020

Actonel (risedronate): “With beginning of osteoporosis I was prescribed actenol. Took 1st tablet as instructed, next day I started with diarrhoea, then aching all over like bad flu, then a fever, couldn't eat anything. No way in the world I would take this drug again!! 4 days later still not right.”

sharon7 May 9, 2015

Actonel (risedronate): “I have been taking actonel for several years and as far as I know have never had a side affect. I feel like it is helping me from all kinds of problems that most women by this age.(78) have. I have recently heard that you shouldn't take it for years, is that true?”

anxious lady aged 76 years · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 14, 2017

“I was prescribed Risedronate Sodium 35 mg, in April 17 I have suffered with osteo arthritis of my knees for 10 years despite this I have remained very active leading a nice life, however these past 6 weeks my arthritis and mobility has deteriorated. I am finding walking very difficult I am in a lot of pain and stiffness I am using a walking stick and not wanting to go out. Taking this medication is ruining my life.”

Tamars · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2020

“As of today I am one week past my first monthly dose of risedronate for the prevention of osteoporosis. I’m 58 years old, active, healthy female. I took my first dose on Monday 6/1/2020 in the early AM before work, with lots of water. By Monday evening I began to feel ill, my temperature rose to 101.9, I had chills and sweats intermittently all night. Took Tylenol for the fever and it responded I was so weak and achy I could barely dress myself for work. I felt horrible and flu-ish all day. By the afternoon I developed hip and groin pain so severe I could barely sit, kept taking Tylenol with limited results. This pain has continued all week. This morning I was awakened by such severe knee pain that I couldn’t bear to sleep. As I’ve tried to walk I find my legs are weak and extremely painful. The muscles above my knees are swollen and weak. I plan to call my gynecologist tomorrow, but will never take this drug again.”

Madre Carol February 2, 2017

“Took first pill morning of Oct 4, 2016 & that night went to turn over in bed & felt the most excruciating pain in my lower back radiating through my chest that it took my breath away. In tears, went to my regular dr who prescribed muscle relaxers & home from work for 2 days. I also experienced flu-like symptoms, a recurrence of my acid reflux, tiredness, increased insomnia & just felt lousy. Reluctantly took the 2nd dose in Nov, didn't experience the back pain (but still have episodes of that back spasm but very slight) but did experience all the other side effects. I'm so done with this med and now my gyno wants me to take Prolia. Reading forums and it's side effects, I am scared to death especially since it's a six-month dosage!”

BubbasSue · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2016

“I have finished 3 doses and will make another appointment to let doctor know I will be discontinuing this medication. I have experienced the following: pain under ribs, stomach ache for two weeks now, terrible bloating and reflux that wakes me up at night. I sleep elevated and have taking 40 mg omeprazole for reflux for years. My reflux has been controlled for years but It is not working with this new medication. I'm 53.”

Taffy August 6, 2021

Actonel (risedronate): “My pain started approximately 6 weeks into taking the actonel 1 a week. I had read side effects and was careful of taking this drug the proper way, after approximately 4 weeks started having pain in my upper left leg muscle or bone (so bad I couldn't walk on that leg). Two weeks later always taking the drug my pain was unbearable, my doctor scheduled me for MRI, ultrasound etc..and nothing was found as per the results...but my pain was still there. My doctor probably thought it was all in my head but she continued to try anything such as pain medicine (which didn't help) I decided finally that the only drug that I was taking different than my prednisone was Actonel so I decided to stop it. I will see what will happen, within 1 week my pain was reducing, within 1 month of not taking Actonel my pain was completely gone. I love sports so I am active ..back to golf, pickleball, walk daily 3-5 miles..my age 72!! I get a monthly blood test so far so good!”

Cookie · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2019

Actonel (risedronate): “After 3 doses in 17 days I am experiencing acute joint and muscle pain. Bloated and head achy also. I’m 66 and will stop taking this immediately. Horrible!”

Anonymous April 13, 2020

Actonel (risedronate): “Red and sore eyes after taking one tablet”

Jojo · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 12, 2019

“I have been on risedronate for a few years and it is awful !!! Severe bone and muscle pain. I stopped taking it 3 weeks ago and already feel better. It really made me feel awful.”