User Reviews for Fosamax (Page 2)

Fosamax has an average rating of 2.4 out of 10 from a total of 47 ratings on Drugs.com. 14% of those users who reviewed Fosamax reported a positive effect, while 84% reported a negative effect.

Osteoporosis
2.2
Prevention of Osteoporosis
Summary of Fosamax reviews 2.4 47 reviews

Reviews for Fosamax

Susie · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 5, 2018

For Osteoporosis: “Took fosamax for brief time 8 yrs ago. Had to have tooth pulled and root canal. Developed NICO (Neuralgia-Inducing Cavitational Osteonecrosis) Jaw bone disease. Had surgery to scrape out dead bone and donor cells put in. Worse pain ever. Now it's been 8 yrs. of terrific burning pain. No Dr. Or dentist can help. Pain meds do nothing. Now I have full blow OP. They are pushing me to take these terrible drugs. I already have the worse side affects. Do i? No! Please if anyone had this let me know. Good luck.”

Ranchmama · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I had a bone scan. Dr said I had mild osteoporosis and to take Fosamax one a week and some added supplements to help bone repair . I took it on a Monday. Within 24 hrs. I hurt head to toe! Deep down bone and tissue pain. Tylenol didn’t touch it. I was in a recliner for 3 days crying to get up to go to the bathroom. I have had morphine for less pain than this! I’m tough but this was ridiculous! My muscles and bones hurt so bad just to breathe even. My knee swelled up along with all other pain. After 3 days it started to improve slightly every day. After 7 days I went to the chiropractor. He put my right jaw, 3 or 4 ribs, my left shoulder, and knee back in place. All from taking this drug! Doctor offered to give me a shot that lasted 6 months, I said absolutely not!”

redsox · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2021

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “Prescribed Fosomax and took only ONE weekly pill and after 2 days I felt deep bone pain in my thigh, like drop you in your tracks pain. For 3 days after I truly thought I would have a thigh fracture - so I quit. Going the supplement route so we will see. If it works for you great-not for me.”

sunshine123# June 17, 2013

For Osteoporosis: “I started taking Fosamax for Osteoporosis and I have had a low back pain and body aches the first week, and on the second week I have had severe headache that lasted over two days, now its a dull headache. I'm not to sure on this medicine, I'm worried about the side effects. I hope the effects get better not worse.”

Kellyirene · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 30, 2017

For Osteoporosis: “This medication created a terrible fracture to my femur after 4 years of taking it. I am a relatively healthy 75-year-old female. I am now in a great deal of pain and in rehab after having a rod placed in my shattered femur. I am sorry I ever took this medication, and have stopped taking it.”

ShellBell · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “First dose of the weekly today — I have had diarrhea all day cannot leave the house, my butt is so raw I am using my baby grandsons Desinex. Every time I get up to go to the bathroom I was really dizzy and my knees are a little painful can only be thankful that I started this on my day off of work hopefully this diarrhea stops by tomorrow — for one will NOT BE TAKING A SECOND DOSE OF THIS .. I am done with fosamax —”

Maggie · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 8, 2020

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “I took Fosamax for several months back in 2010 . My scan showed osteopenia. After those months I started to have severe bone pain in both legs .A large amount of my hair also fell out as well . . I stopped the Fosamax . The pain took about 6 months to stop . The hair stopped falling out and after a year returned to normal . Terrible experience .”

Tish · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 16, 2019

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “I was prescribed Fosamax for osteopenia. I have taken a total of 6 doses. I had no side effects for the first 2 weeks. By the 3rd week extreme fatigue and headaches. I continued for another 3 weeks hoping symptoms would go away. When they didn't I discontinued taking it but a week AFTER I quit I developed severe bone pain, unbearable pain which is worse at night. I am taking arthritis drug to make the days bearable. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THIS PAIN EVENTUALLY GOES AWAY!! I will be calling my Dr. on Monday.”

Nurse · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “Took two doses one week apart. Headache, relentless gas, moderate to severe pain in my jaw, ear, hip, shin causing sleepless nights. Don’t plan to continue making myself miserable by taking this medication. I’m glad it works to improve DEX scans on some women. Unfortunately, I can’t continue this medication.”

Shay · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 26, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “My Dr put me on Fosamax back some years ago and it makes me wonder if that isn't the reason I've had the problems now I have. Spinal cord damage due to the point to where I not able to stand but for a short amount of time, I can no longer sit at my desk but for a short amount of time, and I have TMJ. My life has been altered forever...”

Tripnfall · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2020

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “I was diagnosed with osteopenia a few years ago after cancer treatment. Oncologist recommended Fosamax, but I took oral calcium and D instead. No improvement. I had a fall and suffered a severe mid foot fracture. A moth later another fall, fractured wrist. I started taking the Fosamax a couple months ago. Sometimes difficult to remember to take it before eating. I take the following day. I sit up for 30 minutes after. I have GERD, so I have been taking Pepcid for several years. So far none of the side effects experienced. I am hoping my bones become stronger, scared of falling again.”

Tess · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 30, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “After taking Fosamax for a couple of years, I developed bizarre heart arrhythmia. Rhythm was good while exercising, but horribly uneven when sitting/resting. Stopped taking Fosamax after seeing attorney's add on TV. Heart rhythm was fine after I stopped taking Fosamax.”

Pen · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “My bone scan showed severe osteoporosis. I am sensitive to meds. Decided to try Fosamax. Followed directions but I became so tired after taking it, I couldn't do anything. After a couple days it went away. I did have some muscle pain when I woke up in the mornings. The next week I took it I wasn't tired until the next day, but that night I had sharp pain near my heart, had heart flutters and my eye and neck hurt. I stopped taking the Fosamax but am still tired”

Kitkat January 21, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I started taking Fosamax after I completed some dental work. My dentist refused to do implant if I was on the medication. After several weeks of taking the drug I started having achy joints and difficulty stepping up, headaches and weakness in my legs. Motrin didn't help at all. I didn't correlate the symptoms and the drug. I went to my doctor and requested PT because of returning problems with my sciatica. During this time I stopped the Fosamax for stupid reasons. Sometime later I started taking the drug again. This time it hit me like a brick wall. I was pet sitting for my son and literally had to pull myself up the stairs. Not realizing the drug was causing all these problems I asked for PT for my shoulder and hip. After 5 PT appointments my shoulder was worse and no improvement overall. Had a MRI of my shoulder and now have a torn rotator cuff. Yippee. Been through that before. I believe the Fosamax caused the tear and no clue about the hip.”

Oma · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2018

For Osteoporosis: “I took Fosamax for 5 years after having chemo and radiation for breast cancer with no problems. Now 15 years later I have brittle bone disease. My doctor prescribed Prolia but the side effects turned me off taking that and my pharmacist recommended taking Fosamax again to see if it works. I've only been on it for a month and so far no noticeable side effects that others have felt. I've always tolerated medicine well, I guess. Must be because I grew up in a drug store with the local doctor being best friends with my father!”

Tooth March 3, 2021

For Osteoporosis: “I was put on this med and within one month my teeth started to fall out in a slow sad way, my pain became worse as well as my body muscles deteriorated, but I kept taking this medication, why?”

Jo · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 18, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “Used Fosamax for two years and my bone density declined and was worse than when I started the drug.”

Mary · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2020

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “Fosamax gave me absolutely shocking joint pain & diarrhoea all the time.”

Anonymous April 19, 2011

For Osteoporosis: “I have been taking Fosamax (once a week form) for 10 years now without problems. My last scan showed an improvement of 97 percent after ten years by checking my "T" scores. ”

Barb February 26, 2020

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “I have taken Fosamax for 30 years. I have never had a problem. My back is strong. No problems.”

jds678 July 11, 2009

For Osteoporosis: “I took Fosamax in 2003. I had severe leg cramps. I switched to Boniva because I liked the once a month dose verses weekly.”

Middle · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2019

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “This medication fosamax caused me so much pain! I couldn't walk if I tried I would scream from the pain.”