User Reviews for Ibandronate to treat Prevention of Osteoporosis

Also known as: Boniva

Ibandronate has an average rating of 3.1 out of 10 from a total of 17 ratings for the treatment of Prevention of Osteoporosis. 12% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 71% reported a negative effect.

Ibandronate Rating Summary

3.1/10 average rating

Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Prevention of Osteoporosis.

Reviews for Ibandronate

sirmac · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2020

Boniva (ibandronate): “I took my 1st dose of Boniva on a Sunday in case I had any side effects I would be home. On Wednesday morning (2:00am) I woke up with severe heartburn which felt like a heart attack. The pressure was on my chest was real. I took an alkaline seltzer but didn't help. At 5:00am I started vomiting, had a fever 101 degrees, stomach pain, back pain, and severe headache. Tried drinking flat coco cola for the stomach which was better but the achiness was horrible. My pharmacy gave me a sheet with side effects but didn’t state it would happen 3 days later. Glad I don’t work and didn’t have plans that week. I will never take it again. I will double up on my natural remedy first. Horrible medicine. Shouldn’t even be allowed on the market! Only my opinion of the drug. Good Luck to others that use this.”

Arlyn · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2019

Boniva (ibandronate): “Took my first Boniva pill 1-1-2019 I have no energy. Just getting out of bed is a chore. Have a mild headache that goes away when I take 1000mg of Tylenol. Back pain comes and goes. I'm going to keep a journal of how I feel day to day to help me decide if I will take a second dose.”

MTV · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2018

Boniva (ibandronate): “I took my first dose last March 1st, am standing up. I was taking other supplements for calcium and I followed the OB GYNE’s instruction as well as the one inside the package. I had breakfast 2 hours later and took my other supplements an hour later. At late afternoon, my voice started getting hoarse, then I was having heartburn extending to my back. I thought it was just reflux but despite taking my reflux med, it never went away instead it aggravated. At 9pm, I can hardly move my body and had diarrhea. I slept on my tummy and when I woke up at 11pm, I was feverish and it was very difficult to get up I thought I will be paralyzed ... seriously! I was rushed to the hospital and was confined for 2 days. While at home, I still have slight chest pains and pain on the joint between my left arm and shoulder. This drug is sold at a very high price and the adverse effects even cost me more!!!! I will never take this again and would caution my friends from taking it !”

Pat · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2019

Boniva (ibandronate): “I received prescription for Boniva from my Dr on a Wednesday, Thursday morning as prescribed by my pharmacist I took my first pill with water and waited 2 hrs before I ate anything. I didn’t feel comfortable taking my other meds so I didn’t. About 6pm that evening I could hardly move I was aching all over back arms , legs, I had a slight headache. It’s now Saturday and things have slightly subsided.. I’m going to speak to my Dr I’m not sure if I want to do this again. The body rejects what’s not right.”

Anonymous March 22, 2011

Boniva (ibandronate): “I've been on Boniva for 5 years, and my bone density has not improved at all. I don't know if it would have been worse without it, but my scores have not improved. And now I'm beginning to read that you shouldn't be on Boniva for more than 5 years.”

Imagemax · Taken for less than 1 month February 14, 2013

Boniva (ibandronate): “I took my first dose of Bonita 150mgs and woke up the next day with severe headache and abdominal spasms. I feel exhausted, almost flu like. I'm checking with my Dr. Now since today is the 2nd day of the same symptoms.”

Piper · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2019

Boniva (ibandronate): “Im 39 years old and been on calcium supplements for 2 yrs. I took my 1st boniva 4 days ago. Was ok for 8 hrs then the muscle pain began, then neck pain on the 2nd day, then pain in my ribcage on the 3rd day. Have been feeling this for for 4 days now. I couldn't believe this was the side effect of what I took. I'm hesitant to continue with this drug.”

No way · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 29, 2019

Boniva (ibandronate): “I am sensitive to all medications so my rheumatologist selected Boniva infusions intentionally. We started at half the normal dose every three months and things seemed fine. On the fifth dose I had pain that seemed to move all over my body and landed in my jaw. I could barely chew food. My dentist thought it was TMJ. I checked with the doctor to see if the dose had increased and she said no but try Tylenol next time beginning th day before treatment and continue for three days. A nurse I have never had at the infusion centre told me I am on a full dose! I agreed to try again and she gave me saline to hydrate so it would help my body deal with the medication. I am on day five and my head, neck and jaw ache. I am fatigued and feel flu like with nausea. Yesterday I had diarrhea. I have decided to cease taking these treatments.”

P.T. · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 5, 2017

Boniva (ibandronate): “I had a DEXA scan in July 2015 and was not given the specific results by my doctor, just that I had osteopenia. She recommended I take Boniva so I took it for two months and had severe pain in my left hip. I went back and she changed me to Fosimax which I took for 4 weeks. My hip pain continued. I refused to take any more medication. My hip continued to deteriorate and in May 2017 I had a total left hip replacement. I just had another bone scan yesterday and the technician was comparing my current results with the 2015 test. That is when I found out I had ZERO deterioration in my left hip in July 2015 and no pain until I started taking Boniva. I would NEVER recommend this drug to anyone!!!”

Ann B. · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 22, 2019

Boniva (ibandronate): “After breast cancer surgery my OB/GYN prescribed Boniva for what was diagnosed as "osteopenia." I took the drug for 7 years and discontinued it in June of 2015. I realized that my aches and pains, including groin and hip pain might be related to Boniva, based on other reviews that I had read. I also had lower back pain for at least 3 years at that point. The groin pain went away but the lower back pain grew worse. I saw 2 rheumatologists and an orthopedic specialist. I was told by one rheumatologist that a had "borderline" Lupus. The other said I had a combination of Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. The orthopedic specialist diagnosed a discs pressing on the nerve (lower lumbar) based on an MRI. By 2017 my back condition was unbearable and I had to undergo spinal fusion surgery for spinal stenosis (Lower lumber, L4 & L5). I strongly suspect that Boniva was responsible for these conditions.”

Rqtxt · Taken for less than 1 month July 1, 2019

Boniva (ibandronate): “I took the once a month pill and within 2 hours I was having severe headaches, diarrhea, back pain and weakness. 36 hours later and I’m still suffering. Be very careful and consider all the side effects before you take this medicine.”

Anonymous April 24, 2009

Boniva (ibandronate): “I have been on Boniva for 2 years and so far my bone density scans have not shown an improvement. For the past year, my physician has added a prescription weekly dose of Vitamin D, we are hoping that makes a difference. Should know the results within 2 weeks. Boniva has been easy to take just once a month, and the coupons (discount offered) by the company have been extremely helpful.”

Charlotte · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2018

Boniva (ibandronate): “I've only taken one pill (150 mg) monthly dose. That was 2 days ago. Have had a little more heartburn than usual (I already have reflux) and take meds for it. I've had a little more joint pain and stiffness than usual (but am used to it): am 61 yrs young after all. Just a little headache this morning. Some dizziness the first day. I was just diagnosed with Osteopenia last month. The side effects aren't that bad. I consider it so worth it (considering the alternative - ending up hunched over; unable to stand up straight like the women I sometimes see in public. Note: since taking this drug, I've noticed I can stand upright more. I was beginning to be hunched over. I have a slight degree of scoliosis also. Perhaps if I had taken more calcium and vitamin D when younger, this might not have happened to me. Stopped drinking milk when I was in my 40s. Big mistake.”

Dissapointed · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2017

Boniva (ibandronate): “Just took my first monthly dose yesterday. After about 5 hours severe diarrhea started and I still have it a day later. Back pain with chest heaviness too. I feel like I have been run over by a Mack truck. Don't know if I will continue the medication.”

Lc · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 5, 2020

“Took Boniva for 5+ years. Had flu-like symptoms, joint and bone pain and my teeth would feel loose. Did not associate it with the Boniva. I then developed thigh pain and wound up with two fractured femurs requiring surgery. The orthopedic surgeon confirmed it was due to Boniva. Bone density tests measure quantity not quality of bone so are not accurate. This drug is poison and I do not understand why it is still on the market.”

DeBe · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2019

“Took the first ibandronate on Mon. Had no problems all day, but woke up that night with horrible stomach pains and nausea. It was so bad. Then on Tue I threw up. Pain and nausea have continued now for 3 days. Today I developed really bad diarrhea, and I have terribIe gas from the top of my stomach to the other end. I feel awful all over, and my back hurts mildly. Won't be taking pill two for sure next month, and I can only hope it doesn't last much longer.”

jc · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 14, 2019

“I have been taking the generic form of Boniva (Ibandronate Sodium Tablets) since November 2018. My first dose caused severe chills and a slight headache. The next few months were fine..no side effects until my last dose which was August 1, 2019. Since August 2nd my hair has been falling out!!! Hand full every day since the August 2nd. I'm devastated...I have short hair to begin with and the hair loss makes it worse. I have decided to stop taking the medication. I will try to find other alternatives that are not a stress on my body. Who wants to have no hair!?”

Severe Osteopenia Reversed · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 31, 2015

“I took 12 doses of this medication. My bone scan 2 days ago showed a change from "severe" to "mild" osteopenia. So I can stop the medication and continue standing all day at work and lifting weights. Now I don't have to fear falling. I can see an active future. I am grateful. I experienced no side effects. I am nearly 71. My mother was bent and fragile with osteoporosis. She died at 94 from the hospital infection after treatment for broken bones.”

Buddysmom · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2021

“Took my first ibandronate on 9/1 with no side effects. Woke up the next morning with pain in my entire upper body (back, shoulders, arms). Spent three days on the sofa with pain from my legs to my shoulders. Getting up was painful. My normal routine is to walk the dog twice a day and workout with weights. Now I can't go for walks or workout without experiencing discomfort/pain, I attribute this to the medicine. It has been almost three weeks and it is getting better, but not yet normal. Will not take another dose.”

Cathy · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 22, 2018

Boniva (ibandronate): “Am currently in rehabilitation facility status post bilateral hip fractures. Was being treated with Bonita for almost 5 years for osteopenia.”

Kedilee · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2017

Boniva (ibandronate): “After two months on this I developed horrid jaw pains. Dr told me to stop or for two months and then try it again. Once agin horrid jaw pains. Needless to say I stopped it”