User Reviews for Denosumab

Also known as: Prolia, Xgeva

Learn more about Denosumab.

Giant Cell Tumor of Bone 1 reviews 1 medications

Osteolytic Bone Meta... of Solid Tumors 1 reviews 4 medications

Osteoporosis 50 reviews 151 medications

3.8
Hypercalcemia of Malignancy 3 reviews 47 medications

2.7
Summary of Denosumab reviews 55 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Denosumab

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "My Mom got this shot a month ago and her life has been hell. Extreme pain that she ended up in the hospital getting injections for pain and on morphine. Extreme headaches to where she can not function along with god awful headaches. Jaw pain, muscle cramps, fevers, stomach issues, bladder issues. short time memory issues, and with all this happening she is now depressed from all the issues which now gives her anxiety wondering if these will go away or not. The sad thing is that not all the symptoms right after the shot. They show up weeks later and no one can tell you how long they will last,"

shaylealynn March 11, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "I will be getting 4th shot next wk thus far I have had no side effects. My dexas can shows some improvement. I hope continues as I have had numerous broken bones an would be grateful for it to work"

Biller March 4, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "Have had other medications but to no avail. But was put on Prolia and so far have had 2 injections and feel very good in myself. But like others l also take other vitamins every morning which has been prescribed, and along with these l feel fine. Will need another in six months,"

Have osteoporosis (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Osteoporosis: "I was given Denosumab last November as I have had Osteoporosis for over 25 years. Immediately I started feeling very sick, was really terrible increasing pain in my bones and muscles and exhausted after a few hours of sitting even. As I have SLE Lupus, Fibrmyalgia and other systemic illnesses, including hypothyroidism, I am surprised that the toxicity of this treatment wasn't made known to me. I have a very sensitive system which is well documented and cannot take many medications, so why there was no warning with this I don`t know. I have had lots of different infusions for my osteoporosis over the past 15 years with no side effects at all. What is in this injection? I cannot use my Matrifen patches any longer due to extra toxicity."

Penel Hardy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "Had first Prolia shot 9 days ago and it has been debilitating. Will not get another! It is not worth the pain and discomfort. I have had major bladder problems, chills, fatigue, all the bones in my back ache, I can't sleep at night. I have to take Advil to relieve back pain or I can't function. Can't leave the house for long because of bladder issues. I called my Oncologist about possible bladder infection and was promptly advised that was not a side effect of Prolia even though bladder issues was listed as a possible serious side effect! I hope I don't have to suffer from this one shot as long as others have - it is truly life style restricting. I wish I had read these reviews before getting my 1st (and ONLY) shot."

Judith S (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "I received two Prolia shots because I was prescriped Femara after breast cancer. Prolia was supposed to offset the bone loss caused by Femara. I had a lot of pain in my muscles and bones after the first injection but thought I would get used to it. After the 2nd injection I could hardly walk. It has been 7 months since the injection and if anything the pain is debilitating. I can't walk without a walker or cane, cannot turn over in bed at night. As far as the bone loss I have no idea if it helped but one thing I do know I will never take another injection of Prolia. I would prefer the bone loss to the constant pain. I believe if I took the 3rd I would die. I was a very active 71 year old, mowed the yard, trimmed bushes, NOT NOW .."

firecrackergranny February 6, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "I love the twice a year shot. The company is.awesome and very helpful. But....1st shot no side effects, 2nd shot left groin pain for about a week, 3rd shot and now right sided groin pain since October that goes to my thigh, hip and pelvic bone. Pain is severe at times. Also thyroid problem is worse (not sure if related) and right side lower back pain. I can no longer take the medication."

Terrie227 January 28, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "I been on prolia for 2.5 years Just this last one I have noticed more pain in my arm. Going on 2 weeks. Other than that I have had no problem prior. I will continue taking it as long as I can afford it."

HolyTrinidad December 30, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Xgeva (denosumab) for Hypercalcemia of Malignancy: "I have Lung cancer w/ mets to bone. Two hours after the injection, I experienced the worst pain ever in my life! I walked into the infusion area without any body pain, just a very slight back ache which advil was helping, and 2 hours later I was crippled. It's 2 weeks now & I'm either in a wheelchair or walking around the house with a cane. Horrible, horrible medication. i now take oxycontine every 12 hours and oxycodone every 3 hours. Refuse this drug if you are smart. Even my oncologist is "surprised" with the side effects I have. I refuse to have a second injection of xgeva."

AW NJ December 17, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "My mom has been given Prolia twice, 6 months apart. Each time, she had a series of mini strokes a week after the shot were administered. Her face and left arm would go numb, accompanied by nausea. The mini strokes would last 1-2 minutes, and repeat 4-5 times a day. She was put on blood thinners after the first episodes. Any testing done did not reveal anything. is this yet another side effect of Prolia? Has anyone else experienced this? She will not take this drug again!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "While the bone test indicated a slight improvement, I don't feel it is worth it. The first time I had the Prolia shot, I had no reaction. After the second shot, my hair began to fall out in bunches. It has continued to fall out and it looks as though I will have to wear a wig. Has anyone else had this problem and does it go away after the drug wears off? I will never take another dose of Prolia and would not recommend it after reading all the negative posts on this site. It would seem that my problem is small compared to others."

George Schlink (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 18, 2016

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "one shot in march 2016 and have experienced the worst seven months of my life, begun with a headache so bad i had an MRI three weeks after the shot another two weeks before the headache stopped then the infections started ear ,bladder ,kidneys and chest it has been a living hell ,cost a fortune and i cant even translate the pain and suffering, it would take a book that no one wants to read and its not done with me after seven months have a chest infection now that i can not get rid of ,worst experience of my life !!!"

Anonymous October 16, 2016

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "had 3 shots shot #1. the provider knew nothing other than she was supposed to administer the shot. #2. did explain some what info of the shot. #3. did not know where on the arm for the injection......Should have not taken #3. several days after each shot sweated at night,. the bone between knee and hip hurt tremendous for several days, had heasdaches......it has been 2 years since last prolia shot. MAYBE THINGS WOULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT IF ALL HAD STARTED CORRECTLY. EXPLAIN, EXPLAIN IS IMPORTANT FOR ADMINISTING ANY DRUGS TO PATIENTS"

j free October 8, 2016

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "This drug is a life saver. I tried Actonel and Fosamax with poor results. I experienced bone pain and flu like symptoms for weeks on end. After seeing an endocrinologist it was decided I try Prolia. NO side effects at all. Not even soreness at the injection site. I just received my 3rd injection and 2nd bone density test. Density is up 7-8% in spine and hip. I am thrilled."

AnnieNemous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 1, 2016

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "58 years old. Had the Prolia injection for newly diagnosed osteoporosis 3 months ago. Experienced flu-like symptoms for 2 weeks; muscle aches, constant burping, loose stools, extreme fatigue in thigh muscles. The manufacturer side effects list included depression. I wouldn't classify it as that, but, I definitely felt very exasperated for a couple of weeks, and, just not my usual cheery self. Then it all went away. I have no symptoms now & I don't know if it's helped my disease or not."

Shorty! (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2016

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "Please do your homework before taking this awful drug. My Dr. never told me about any potential side effects and I got them ALL. So sick for months with severe lower back pain radiating around the front. Severe upper GI issues with nausea and haven't been able to eat for months. Lost 15 lbs so fast that my skin is all wrinkles and lose. I look 20 years older than before taking this drug. Spent so much time at Dr's trying to figure out what was wrong with me and all tests came back negative. Only possible thing is Prolia shot. Headaches, chronic fatigue, poor sleep. Ended up in ER thinking I was having a heart attack...pain was debilitating. At least I found out my heart is good. Have had 3 additional episodes like this. BEWARE"

Jill cookie September 17, 2016

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "The Prolia is helping with my bone density. I am allergic to Actinol, Boniva, Envista etc. I have taken my third shot three weeks ago. I have experienced blisters between my toes, the bottom of my feet peeling off, rash, small pinpoint red dots on my skin, a cough, stomach discomfort, bleeding sores on my face and my cholesterol has gone up the the highest point of my life! I have also gained 10 pounds that are almost impossible to lose. I'll see what my cholesterol level is in another 6 months. I believe it should be down by then."

yoga1244 August 30, 2016

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "I am in the UK and therefore am 'lucky enough' not to have paid for my treatment. However I understand this is a relatively expensive drug for the National Health Service to prescribe. I have had two six monthly doses and I will certainly not be having the third and that is despite having severe osteoporosis . I have experienced no positive results from this drug, only debilitating pain, stiffness and general flu' like symptoms which come and go regularly day and night with no prior warning. My worst experience was a spot on my lower jaw bone that grew until it literally erupted, leaving a 2mm diameter hole in the side of my face. ( 2 months of antibiotics ) I can find no positive feedback to justify this drugs side effects."

Tu'pence (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 26, 2016

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "After two shots, had swelling in both elbows, stiff neck and pain. I am not sure prolia is the cause but I will not risk it again or any drugs for osteoporosis. My immune system was compromised too and I have had several illnesses. I went from an active fit person to not being able to perform simple everyday tasks without big pain. I have had the worst 6 months of my life. Avoid this medication!"

Layla Cat July 28, 2016

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "1 shot, due another in August and wondering. Constipation very severe, fatigue, hip pain, upper arm pain and shooting pains in head. I do not know if there are other options available and scared to take second shot in case things get worse."

G109 July 20, 2016

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "Can anyone tell me how long it stsys in your system please? Had only one injection, won't have another but want to know if these awful side effects will subside in time now that ive decided to stop them. Thankyou."

C.Moore. July 10, 2016

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "Various side effects including fractures in both feet and bad pain and aching in right leg making it almost impossible to walk and keeping me awake and in pain. It is time for my third Prolia shot and I have suffered from this for two months and am no better. This has not been a positive experience but a bad and painful one leaving me unable to get out and preform any daily task or functions."

Lake woman (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2016

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "After getting my 2nd Prolia injection, I've had the worst 4 months of my life!! Within a couple weeks, I went from a very young 70 yr old to a 90 year old woman. My back and hips have been so painful, that I have to wear a stiff back support to be able to move. Even with this, I can't stand up straight. I am awakened at night because of the pain and I can't turn over in bed. I am constantly achey and tired. Before Prolia, I was extremely active. I worked with a personal trainer twice a week for six months, before the 2nd injection, but now, I have probably lost all the muscle, strength and flexibility I gained. I put my gym membership on hold, until I can move, again, without pain. Prolia is the worst!!!!!"

GramJ2many (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2016

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hypercalcemia of Malignancy: "After breast cancer I had to go on Prolia to counter act the possible fractures caused by my cancer meds. My PCD noticed my PTH levels were off the charts and sent me for a CT scan. My numbers went down after 5 months post Prolia. They went up pre 2nd shot of Prolia. I went to Mayo Clinic because I needed an answer. The endocrinologists there stated point blank that the high PTH is common with Prolia, but that Prolia outways the possibile fractures weak bones can cause. So I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. He told me to up my Calcium and take 1000 units of Vitamin D /daily."

mmclamm June 20, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prolia (denosumab) for Osteoporosis: "I am having severe jaw pain, almost unbearable. It is one of the most horrible experiences I have ever gone through. Will not take this drug again. What is strange is that I didn't have a problem until after the second shot. Since then have not only teeth pain but sick with sore throat and cold. Also bad digestive problems."

Jude j June 13, 2016