User Reviews for Denosumab to treat Osteoporosis

Also known as: Prolia, Xgeva

Denosumab has an average rating of 2.6 out of 10 from a total of 257 ratings for the treatment of Osteoporosis. 13% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 79% reported a negative effect.

Denosumab Rating Summary

2.6/10 average rating

Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Osteoporosis.

Reviews for Denosumab

Kitty · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 13, 2021

Prolia (denosumab): “I have suffered from severe right hip and thigh pain and lower lumbar pain since I started Prolia injections in August 2020 for Osteopenia (following 6 consecutive fractures). The pain from my lower back, hip and thigh is truly debilitating - I have a throbbing sensation which comes and goes - it is always worse as soon as I've had my injection. I'm now looking at ways to stop taking this medication. It is just the worst feeling in the world to be so reliant on a drug which makes me feel so utterly immobile and in constant pain. I'm 55 years old and have been told I will need to be on this drug for the rest of my life. I will not be doing that. Absolutely no way! My last injection was my last. People PLEASE avoid this drug at all costs.”

Dog Lover March 9, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “Density went from -1.2 to -2.8 in 2 years bc of taking steroids for 2 years .Prior to Prolia, started weight bearing exercise regime to intensify bone building & planned to continue after taking the drug. I can’t because Of pain! Fingers,t humb,& wrist, shoulders, shoulder blades, right groin, hips & pelvic area with the worst In back & neck. Muscle soreness:biceps & thighs. Jaw pain for a month. Weakness: legs,arms, &hands. Major stiffness after short time sitting. Back cracks when I stand up, bend over or stretch. Hearing loss, fatigue & now take meds for insomnia. I was active: went to the gym, out with friends, walked 2 mi/day. No more. I awaken in the morning & can barely move. I’m depressed because of my situation. I had NONE of these Issues prior to taking this drug! Common De-denominator and cause = Prolia! This drug is poison & shame on the FDA. The makers of Prolia have put aside billions of $ for lawsuits. Hmm wonder why. I will NOT take my next injection despite what my doc advises. My whole life has been turned upside down.”

Disillusioned · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 24, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “I had my first Prolia injection in June 2016. I have since had 9 injections. I did not relate the severe muscle soreness, joint and bone pain to the drug. I was fit and healthy prior to taking the drug, walking regularly, swimming and lifting weights. Now my life has been ruined. I have difficulty functioning on a daily basis. Simple tasks like getting out of bed; in and out of a chair; in and out of a car; getting dressed and undressed are painful. My strength has decreased alarmingly. I researched the side effects of Prolia [the only drug I was taking]. I couldn't believe my eyes. The drug that was supposed to be enhancing my life was destroying my life. The sad thing is a bone-density scan revealed that my bone density had not improved. All the technician could say was that "it had not become any worse". I will not be taking Prolia or any other drug again. I will increase the foods in my diet that have high calcium levels and continue to take Calcium and vitamin D and K2.”

Ann August 1, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “Prolia, for me it was a nightmare. With my first injection, I had problems in my jaw. My second injection was in early 2020, Covid time. In March while walking, I noticed shortness of breath. Scary. Later developed a lingering Upper Respiratory Infection. Then came heart palpitations. 3 ENTs said it was GERD. Developed no voice, sore and swollen throat and difficulty eating. Sinus issues also. So many tests and many of the doctors indicated possible side effects from the drug. Here it is August and still suffering. The Company just said sorry and did indicate some of the side effects on the list. I am still on meds and hoping my problems disappear and they are not permanent. Over 100 amoxicillin pills, and months of pantoprazone and dozens of other meds. I hope there is a class action suit for this med or a black box warning.”

Lulu · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “I had one, and only one, injection of Prolia. The day after as I was sitting at the computer I began having severe chest pains that radiated up to my jaw. Needless to say I thought I was having a heart attack. I took an aspirin, unlocked my doors in case I had to call 911, and in about 50 minutes the pain subsided. A couple of weeks later I had a routine appointment with my cardiologist and was talking with the PA and she told me that her aunt had exactly the same reaction after her first, and only shot. I refused the second shot and will never have another. Nor will I have a bone density test as I refuse to take medication anyway.”

PAIN! · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 11, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “I had my first injection in Aug 2019. I’ve had joint stiffness and muscle aches daily. I’ve also noticed my legs have gotten so weak! When I walk down stairs I have to hold onto the railing for dear life, in case my legs collapse. I’m 58 years old but I feel like I’m 75. I just had my second shot yesterday and a few hours after I had it, I suddenly felt a horrible sharp pain in my lower leg that felt like a spasm, and it quickly spread down into my foot and then my foot became totally numb. I’ve never ever had this happen to me before, but the nurse believes it’s not related to the prolia. I’m convinced that it is.”

Ninetyplus · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “This drug was recommended by the endocrinologist. Only took the first dose. Although slowed bone loss in the body, it impaired the bone growth in the jawbone and also caused cancer to grow in the jawbone. After visiting dentist, I was educated about drugs like this. I hope before anyone takes this drug or any similar medication, speak to your dentist.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “The Prolia side effects are real and devastating. My rapid heart rate is out of control. This is dangerous. Not only will I never ever take this drug again, nor will I go to the bone specialist again. The skin rashes, the gut problems, vision loss. So much more! I called Prolia support line. Guess what? No support!”

MissLeopard83 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 22, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “Both my grandmother and my mother took this medication and it harmed their health. Caused cracked teeth, widespread joint and bone pain, and increased fatigue. It is supposed to help remineralize your bones but it appears to leech the calcium elsewhere in the body. My mom got such horrible cramps in her calves, it was pathetic. Both of them stopped the medication and they are still having side effects years later. This is poison.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “Had my first Prolia injection Feb 2020. Two to three days later upper abdominal swelling indigestion and reflux. Then came the blisters and my whole back peeled. Then came the aches and pains in lower back hip groin and knee. Next my hair started falling out my osteoarthritis in my hands was on fire with reddening of my skin. Constipation like I have never experienced and after 8 weeks a weight gain of 6kg. Blood test revealed raised levels of the parathyroid hormone was 2.7 now 9.7 out of the normal range. Cholesterol up vitamin b down to low levels . It’s called a road of misery. Been to doctors weekly endocrinologist but can do nothing. Have to wait for it to wean out of the body. Totally depressed with mood swings. I give it a zero Will not be getting another injection of it again ☹️”

Pumpsi February 9, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “In October 2019 I received my second injection of Prolia . I never researched any side effects . All I know is that since the time after my first injection, I have been feeling terrible, but sadly, never related it to this Prolia injection. After my second injection, I started feeling much worse with extreme pain in back and legs. Lots of severe digestive problems and night sweats, also extremely exhausted and to the point that all I want to do is stay in bed. That is when I started researching the only new drug I took since my first injection in April 2019 ! My eyes were opened and I will never take any drug again my doctor recommends without research of possible side effects. I will never take Prolia again and only hope that these horrible side effects will stop after this drug should be out of my system in April 2020 . Thanks for reading and be aware!”

muffin February 24, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “I have severe osteoporosis. Years ago my GP suggested I take prolia, so I did research and refused the treatment. I am handicapped due to a spinal fusion done 25 years ago, where the spinal cord was damaged. Nonetheless I have been active walking with two canes and doing aquafit. Now the GP is strongly suggesting prolia again, and sending me to a specialist. I'm diligent with the research, and I sincerely thank everyone who wrote on this forum. It is useful. If I were to have any side effects, it would immobilize me. I am leaning towards rejecting prolia again.”

Truthful · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 7, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “I took two shots of Prolia in Jan and June of 2019. Did not connect the side effects until way late as you don't think of any being due to Prolia. I belatedly read that its made from genetically engineered Chinese hamster ovary cells (!) and has tons of bad side effects that Drs ignore. Am looking for unbiased (from drs or drug co) website where affected people can help each other. I notice that the few people here, saying they have no problem with Prolia, have high marks of approval, yet all the others who are hurting have very low. Makes one wonder who is monitoring this site ☹️”

Geminii April 30, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “I dont know what to think about this medication. Been using it for 1 year now. I don't sleep due the the bone pain. My shoulders, elbows and hips are causing excruciating joint pain especially at resting time.”

T57 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “I had one shot of Prolia July 19, went through 6 months of nightmarish symptoms. Bone pain, jaw pain, even my teeth ached and have moved, I now have a gap in my teeth and they're chipping, my hair started to fall out, skin allergies, which I've never had, I am usually fit and healthy but never felt so sick after having Prolia. I'm so scared of rebound vertabrae fractures I'm taking a bisphosphonate as a relay drug. After that I'll never take an osteoporosis drug again.”

Lucy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “Had my first Prolia injection in Dec, 2019. Within 10 days had severe rolling pain throughout my body. Would go on for hours at a time. It would hit my toes, shins, top of foot, bottom of foot, abdomen, thigh, groin, knees. No energy. Difficulty getting out of chair and walking. Since it is a 6 month injection, it takes time to get out of your body. It is now Feb, 21, 2020. I am still having difficulty walking and so painful getting out of chair. Pain is intermittent and can hit any part of your body at any time. Have to take pain meds and muscle relaxer to get through the night. Will never take another injection. Do not know what drug to take next because if I don't take a drug for bones, I will have fractures of spinal column. I have never had a fracture in my life.”

bbassett420 June 22, 2021

Prolia (denosumab): “I had my first injection in April 2021 and started having side effects right after severe headaches, muscle pain and dizziness. It has been 2 months now and my bp has gone up, severe headaches, hip pain and every muscle in my body aches. I was told by the dr that this was unrelated to the Prolia. I had none of these until I had the injection. I will never take this again and be warned this is a horrible drug and should be taken off the market. I suffer daily and do not know how long this horrible drug will stay in my body and give me side effects. I live in severe pain everyday and my dr had to increase my pain med. There are days I feel like I am never going to be the same person! Please read all about this horrible drug and do not listen to your dr as it is Horrible!!!”

sdecoretz · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 18, 2021

Prolia (denosumab): “After one injection in April 2021, I have been miserable! My hair is coming out in clumps (I am so depressed) have muscle aches, night sweats, jaw pain and headaches. I feel like a bone on the outside of my foot broke just from walking. I will never take another Prolia injection! I feel like I’m on my own with medical care as I have lost confidence in my doctor after this horrible experience!”

Skeeter · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 11, 2021

Prolia (denosumab): “I blame Prolia for my late wife's death. She died from cervical cancer at 72 even though she had a hysterectomy at 30. I think it lowered her immune system so much she could not fight off the cancer. Even though the doctor knew she had had a thyroidectomy at 31, she still administered the Prolia injections. I would urge everyone to stay away from it.”

Slena · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 10, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “I took Prolia for 3 years. I didn't have any side effects until my 6th and last shot. The day I received my shot my gums started bleeding and I've had a bad taste in my mouth that I can't get rid of. I've since stop taking the shot. I'm very disappointed in not being informed that you can't stop taking this drug!”

nana · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2021

Prolia (denosumab): “I had my 1st Prolia shot 2 weeks ago. 24 hours after injection I got a severe headache which I still have. I am having bone and joint pain to the point I have to take prescription pain meds to even function. Previously I had taken a Reclast infusion, I almost died from side effects. So my Doctor put me on Fosamax. I had no reaction to Fosamax but my bone scan showed only minimal improvement. That's when my Doctor suggested Prolia. I should have refused and stayed on Fosamax but unfortunately I didn't.”

Grace February 17, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “I had 4 Prolia shots every six months. I started having arm pain then the last shot in Oct. 2018 left me with an arm I could not lift and extreme arm pain. I did physical therapy which helped a little. But it has been over a year and I have daily pain. The Dr. insists it wasn’t the shot that left me with terrible osteoarthritis of my arm. It didn’t happen until the shot. I wish I had researched it more and I wouldn’t have daily pain from taking a Prolia. Don’t take it!”

Anonymous February 19, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “I had 3 injections of Prolia in the last 2 years and really nothing that I have read has happened to me. Yesterday I had my appointment with my oncology and she told me that after review my bone density results, I don't need the 4th doses of Prolia. My bones are in excellent condition. I had no side effects at all.”

Once Wasfit · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2020

Prolia (denosumab): “I had my first shot in January 2020. The pain in my back and knee has increased unbearably within 24 hours and I now also have night sweats, hip pain, aching joints and intermittent pain in my groin. I also struggle to climb stairs and get up from seated position and to get out of bed. I am sore and fatigued and irritable all day. I am not enjoying my food. Often experience pins and needles in hands and feet and inexplicable sensations in limbs. Cramping easily. Ruined my walking regime. My next shot is scheduled for July. I won't be having it.”

Lovey July 10, 2021

Prolia (denosumab): “Had 1 injection of Prolia - about a week later was awakened in middle of the night with excruciating pain from my neck down. Was unable to move due to the severity! I breathed in & out for a bit, relaxing my body as best I could. Have less strength in my legs ever since. Walk a lot, but need to use my arms to rise from a chair! Take Calcium & 10,000 mg of vitamin D. My injecction was Oct. of 2018! Never again!!”

Learn more about Osteoporosis