User Reviews for Progesterone

Also known as: Prometrium, Crinone, Endometrin, Cyclogest, First Progesterone MC5, Gestone Milprosa First Progesterone MC10

Progesterone has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 67 ratings on Drugs.com. 52% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 19% reported a negative experience.

Progesterone Insufficiency
10.0
Summary of Progesterone reviews 6.7 67 reviews

Reviews for Progesterone

Beck · Taken for 2 to 5 years · September 20, 2020

Prometrium (progesterone) for Amenorrhea: “I had a uterine ablation 4 years ago at age 46 that failed. The Dr encouraged hysterectomy but my research scared me to so continued to research other options. I learned about prometrium and asked the Dr if I could try it after birth control pills and progestin failed. The Dr said it would not work and she ended up being so wrong. Prometrium gave me my life back and stopped my heavy periods. I have lost weight and feel like myself. I went off of prometrium for about a year but need to go back on at age 50 because I believe the weight loss changed my hormones again. What makes me upset is that 2 OB GYN doctors never told me about prometrium and I suffered in pain and became severely depressed and anemic for several years. Ladies do your research! Healthcare in the US is profit driven and the wellbeing of patients is secondary in my opinion.”

Danielle · Taken for less than 1 month · May 2, 2020

Prometrium (progesterone) for Perimenopausal Symptoms: “After 8 days on this medication I was having full blown panic attacks. I was on 200 mg daily. This is a horrible side effect just want people to know about. It may not do that to everyone but if you have ever had anxiety in the past be careful on your dosage.”

Missy · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 12, 2018

Prometrium (progesterone) for Perimenopausal Symptoms: “I’m 46, perimenopausal, regular periods. I had very bad PMS and sore breasts for 2 weeks before period, and a serious inability to lose weight. I started this 3 months ago and I’m down 8 pounds, sleeping better and PMS is way better although it took the full 3 months for it to start helping. Now weighing 140 pounds at 5’7. I was very worried about weight gain on this, but it was opposite for me! I take 100mg at bedtime and stop it for 7 days during my period. I also started on Estro support (DIM) to lower estrogen as well. That also made a huge difference! Get your hormones tested so you know exactly what’s going on in your body!”

Stat5150 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 21, 2019

Prometrium (progesterone) for Progesterone Insufficiency: “I was given prometrium 100mg vaginal inserts 14 days out of the month along with estradiol patch 1mg for post menopausal symptoms. Prior to taking the prometrium, I was sleeping poorly and had stubborn weight around the belly I couldn't get rid of. After menopause, my figure changed and I gained a total of 10 lbs. Well...miraculously in a month on these, I lost 7 of those pounds! I am sleeping really well. Almost too much but maybe I needed it. My post menopause pants are getting too loose now and I think I'll have to unpack my high-rise jeans. Yay for prometrium!”

Lorijita · April 22, 2012

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: “I am soon to be 49 and I was feeling so bad, hotflashes, 30 pounds of weight gain in 2 yrs, insomnia, foggy brain and a very large appetite, to name a few right but saw a doctor (alternative) and he did blood work and found my testosterone was so low and my progestin. So I now take a small dose of testosterone cream and 200 mg of natural progestin and can I tell you I feel like I did in my 30's. Use progestin at night, testosterone in the morning. I have lost 12 pds in about 40 days and it continues to fall off. Sleeping like a baby, no hot flashes and I think more clearly and my memory is awesome too. I do take a lot of supplements that work with the hormones. ”

Just an FYI. · Taken for 1 to 6 months · September 5, 2016

Prometrium (progesterone) for Progesterone Insufficiency: “I've been taking Prometrium for about 4 months now, & for the most part have no side effects. It works like its suppose to and keeps my progesterone to where it needs to be. However, just an FYI you should always take it before bed with food & I mean lights out in bed to sleep not watching TV or playing on your phone/tablet. If you take Prometrium & not go to bed it will cause a euphoric (high) feeling which may be unsettling to some people & may cause panic, because it does feel really weird.”

Ms. G · Taken for less than 1 month · June 4, 2013

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: “I am a 51 year old woman diagnosed with fibroids and have experience very heavy bleeding. With the added issue of the pre-menopausal symptoms I felt like I was losing my mind. Have been taking Progesterone 200mg for about a week and I haven't felt this good in years. No more cloudy head, joint pains and night sweats are almost gone. Best part is I'm not craving junk food and sweets.. So far so good, no weird side effects. This is the best!”

skrumm · March 4, 2009

Prometrium (progesterone) for Progesterone Insufficiency: “I'm 48, and found that this nicely balanced the issues I'm having with estrogen dominance. I've had no side effects that I can tell, but a real clearing up of the fuzzy brain, night sweats, and trouble sleeping. I love it!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month · July 13, 2019

Prometrium (progesterone): “I am 21 years old & in about 2 months gained 30 pounds although I worked out consistently & kept a clean diet. In addition I wasn’t sleeping, was retaining so much water I could not wear rings, & had horrific mood swings. However, my main problem was that I could no longer breathe, just speaking or walking felt like a marathon. For 8 months I have had an endless nightmare of appointments & tests with different medical specialist with no answers. After loss of all hope, I finally decided to see a hormone specialist. Because of a mild progesterone deficiency she recommended Prometrium for 6 weeks. I have been on 200 mg. of Prometrium for two weeks now & after only 3 days I started noticing my water retention lessening & I could breathe again! I can now workout better than I ever have been able to in my life, I sleep well, my stress levels are down, & my mood swings have subsided. This medication may have saved my life. Get your hormones checked!”

Anonymous · March 20, 2010

Prometrium (progesterone) for Progesterone Insufficiency: “I'm pregnant and my lab work came back indicating I have a low progesterone level. My doctor prescribed Prometrium and initially I took the medication in the daytime, but then found that it makes me extremely tired. I decided to start taking the medicine at bedtime then started having very bizarre dreams only when I take the medication at bedtime. I informed my doctor,but he dismissed the side effect as not being related. I'm positive the side effect is from the medication. I hope this comment let other women who experience this side effect know that you are not alone. Just because it's not a listed side effect doesn't mean it can't happen.”

kbehunin · November 12, 2010

Prometrium (progesterone) for Perimenopausal Symptoms: “Taking it at 100 mg. Didn't like the dizzy feeling. Started taking it at night, much better but I feel it building up in my system over time. I wish I could take half or 3/4 as much but it is not available in those doses. I have absorption issues and the liquid form is great except I can't cut it in half. I do like what it does for my thinking, digestion, emotions etc but over time irritability, heavy-dreaming, pregnant-like feeling build-up. I am a small woman about 110lbs, 5 feet and wish smaller doses were available. A little bit goes a long way.”

MiaR · Taken for less than 1 month · June 18, 2021

Prometrium (progesterone) for Progesterone Insufficiency: “I am 46. I am estrogen dominant and have low progesterone. I also have PCOS. I take 100 mg after menstrual bleeding, 200 mg upon ovulation, and none when bleeding starts. My periods were abnormal (cycle 25-36). I take it by mouth at night and go straight to bed as it makes me extremely drowsy. If I try to stay up, I have lucid dreams. Some tiny stomach cramps but not bad. Breast tenderness has drastically decreased. Some left shoulder pain. Not sure if that has anything to do with the medication. Since starting break thru spotting during ovulation and short window between ovulation and period. Cycle is currently now at 20 days. I have read this can happen but can’t find a lot of reviews on it. Not sure if that is normal and will be following up. Facial hair growth appears to have decreased.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month · October 23, 2020

Prometrium (progesterone) for Uterine Bleeding: “I am on 200mg Prometrium due to uterus bleeding and enlarged uterus wall. Other than the bleeding I had no post menopause issues (I am 57 with high estrogen levels). After 2 days of taking medication bleeding stopped - great! After a few more days I started gaining weight, breast tenderness, breast enlarging, very strange dreams every night, very tired during the day although I sleep at least 8 hours now, bad headaches. Too many side effects for me. I went to my naturopathic doctor to do detailed hormone tests. Result = extreme high progesterone level. Make sure you get your hormones tested before taking the medication!”

Beachmom1974 · December 23, 2016

Prometrium (progesterone) for Perimenopausal Symptoms: “I'm 42 years old and perimenopause has taken over my life. My estrogen dominance was so bad that for 8 whole days before I even started my period I was almost bed ridden. My breasts were so sore, it was as if they were engorged and I, at times, felt a low grade fever coming on. I have a 21 day cycle. I have one week a month that I felt pretty OK... Only one week a month!! Went to the Obgyn and begged for help. I'm now day 5 on prometrium. So far my head is clear, no boob pain, I'm awake not tired, not hungery either. I do have some uterine cramps every afternoon for some reason. I can't wait to see how my whole cycle will be. So far so good, very happy.”

boomer1171 · November 22, 2016

Prometrium (progesterone) for Progesterone Insufficiency: “I was diagnosed with hyperplasia. I was experiencing very heavy, clotty periods for YEARS. I thought this was normal until I had a month long period. This pill is heaven sent. I have not had a period for about 8 months, have lost a tone of weight, have more energy than I have had in years and I would say the only side effect is tender breasts. I cannot guarantee this result for everyone but clearly I was no producing my own progesterone.”

Jules · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 24, 2019

For Progesterone Insufficiency: “I’ve had a complete hysterectomy & am doing bio identical HRT therapy pellets on October 16th. Unfortunately progesterone has to be taken in pill form. I’m on 100mg at night. I looked at my RX just now & it’s the generic form from the manufacturer Akron. I’ve been having severe stomach cramps, back & rib pain, sneezing, itching and the crazy vivid dreams. I also am having anxiety to the point I can’t form words sometimes. I’m sincerely hoping that it’s just a matter of switching manufactures of the medication, because I absolutely need progesterone. Even with all these side effects, it is finally helping get rid of my hot flashes, mood swings & most importantly I’m getting my libido back. Not to mention it’s helping to pull me up ever so much out of this major depression I’ve been in for years. I go back to my doctor in a week to get bloodwork for my hormone level check, so he can do some fine tuning. Will update”

Lena · July 16, 2019

For Progesterone Insufficiency: “On June 30, 2019 the pharmacy filled my prescription with a new generic drug from the manufacturer Akorn, for micronized progesterone 100 mg capsules, I take 300 mg each night. The generic for Prometrium from Akorn manufacturer-generic micronized progesterone, I started itching, now I am itching head to toe, also, I started having headaches and dizziness. I started having strange vivid dreams, not sleeping well, increased hot flashes. I have been taking Prometrium for many years, including other generics without any problems. I decided to stop taking the Akorn manufacturer generic micronized progesterone 100 mg capsules, and request a new prescription of Prometrium. The FDA wrote two warning letters to Akorn in 02/2018 and 06/2019, at the same plants where the medication was made. It may be contaminated with unknown foreign substances. My co-pay after insurance for a 90 day supply was $241.24 -for quantity of 270 capsules, 100 mg each. Very expensive for a generic that harmed me!”

Shell99 · Taken for less than 1 month · October 17, 2016

For Progesterone Insufficiency: “Hey everyone, told you I'd be back. Lol So I'm still on the AK 100mg. pill. I have lost over 3 pounds. I haven't changed anything since before taking this medication. In fact the only thing it changed is my mood, and stress levels, an of course my hormonal issue. I do have a tiny list of effects it's had on me so far. Ok so, my voice before was deeper an more loud, angry so to speak.(Which was because of too much testosterone in my system.) So my voice started to change 3 days after starting this pill. It gave me a slight sore throat at first. Then my voice would cut out, or crack. So embarrassing...but now I have a softer tone. My depression is much less, I'm much happier now an positive. Acne is gone now too. Btw I'm 38. An progesterone works.”

Stephie · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 2, 2020

Prometrium (progesterone) for Perimenopausal Symptoms: “I started taking 200 mg day 14-28 of my cycle. My Dr had me combine it with a progesterone cream. My breasts became bigger and much more tender. I began steadily gaining weight up 7 lbs now. I am going to go off the prometrium and go back to the cream only and see of the sore breasts and weight gain subside. The cream worked well for in the past not sure why my Doc felt I needed both the cream and the pill. I do feel progesterone is wonderful for reducing mood swings and food cravings. That issue is all but abolished when I'm on the progesterones I just am obviously not a fan of the weight gain. So if the goal of the medicine is to increase progesterone levels and decrease mood swings..it IS effective .”

PL · Taken for 5 to 10 years · November 27, 2020

For Progesterone Insufficiency: “I have a progesterone insufficiency and one of its main symptoms is insomnia. Prometrium is too expensive in the US and the doc switched me to the Bionpharma generic. Unfortunately this is not natural progesterone but rather a progestin. After struggling with insomnia for weeks, I had to order actual progesterone from a compounding pharmacy. Now I am finally back to sleeping 8 hrs per night. My understanding is that US companies no longer use natural progesterone in their generics, so compounding pharmacies are the only viable alternative.”

Laulee · June 27, 2019

For Progesterone Insufficiency: “I started generic Prometrium for 10 days (for Premature menopause) then stopped because I broke out with itchy red bumps on my arms & legs. And, I still got hot flashes. When I stopped taking the progesterone (200mg at night) I started getting foggy brain again and terrible face aches and headaches. I restarted the generic Prometrium after a 5 day hiatus & after the red itchy bumps dried up. Now that I take the 200mg again no more head or face aches, and mild hot flashes finally disappeared. However, I continue to have vivid exhausting dreams every night that I take this. My sleep is NOT deep or restful. It is night after night of lucid, unwanted crazy dreams. This is an unreported side effect- I read other women experienced this, too. Also I get tiny somewhat itchy bumps under the skin on both of my hands. I wonder if the brand name Prometrium would have these bad effects on me as well...”

rebelsunset · August 29, 2014

Prometrium (progesterone) for Premature Labor: “I was on Prometrium from day 1 up until week 19 then I was placed on the Makena shot which is also progesterone until I was 36 weeks. I fully believe this is why I have my daughter today. She is almost two and has had no side effects from me taking this medication in pregnancy. I have MTHFR FACTOR and low progesterone. This is why I needed to be on this medication”

Sadie · December 1, 2020

For Amenorrhea: “Ultimate point: progesterone makes me self harm and have suicidal tendencies. I have been on Progesterone three different times. For two years as a teen, I attempted suicide three times. (Depo provera once monthly shot) I didn’t put the pieces together then. For three months at age 22 (Depo provera 3 month shot) Instantly I realized that Depo was the cause and vowed to never take it again. 1.5 years from age 23-25 I was put on the Progesterone only mini-pill. I didn’t realize that Depo and Progesterone were the same drug. I attempted suicide for the fourth time. I’ve since been permanently surgically sterilized.”

Cyberpunk · Taken for less than 1 month · December 1, 2020

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: “I got a hormone test and have low progesterone and high estrogen. I am 48 years young. My new menopause doctor put me on 100 mg of progesterone but I didn't like the side effects. I was really tired and my period started up again. I went off it and feel better. I think I am going natural because I don't think there is a medical reason for taking this. I'm afraid to tell my doctor because I was pressured into it. Nine years ago I took a Depo shot, 15 mins later I fell on my knees on the sidewalk in nyc in a skirt and couldn't stand up for 20 mins. A group of Dominican men called an ambulance for me. The EMS gave me water and I went home. I proceeded to bleed for 3 months after. They also had to give me calcium because it caused bone loss. I'm not saying this is the same, but it is progesterone and unless I have a life threatening illness that requires hormone replacement I think I'm going natural.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month · August 25, 2012

Prometrium (progesterone) for Amenorrhea: “I am currently taking this medication for a missed cycle. I was told to take it at night due to the drowsiness it may cause. So far I have not noticed much of a problem with that. I have been on the pill for 5 days and the side effects are almost unbearable. I have breast tenderness, but also the muscles around my chest/back area are aching to the point of being painful. I called my doctor about this side effect and was told that the medication has not been known to cause achiness. After reading this website I see it is very possible. I have had some dizziness, sweating, and irritability as well. Either way the medication seems to be helping, but I really cannot wait to quit it!”