User Reviews for Progesterone to treat Progesterone Insufficiency

Also known as: Crinone, Endometrin, FIRST-Progesterone VGS 200, Prochieve

Progesterone Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 7 medications used in the treatment of Progesterone Insufficiency.

Reviews for Progesterone

"Just four times a year? I'll take it. I need this Rx because I am on an estrogen patch for severe menopause symptoms. My dose is intra-vaginally, 200 mg, every other night for 12 nights, every 3 months - so 4 times per year. I never forget it because I begin my regimen at the start of each season. This method of progesterone by far right easiest method to tolerate for me. I won't use these hormones forever, but for right now, they help. The first few days, I get mild PMS symptoms - to be expected - then usually begin menstruating, which means it did its job. The PMS rises and falls with stress levels and other issues. I manage it by doubling my exercise routine, adding meditation; - high stress levels drive many PMS symptoms. I also switched to a Mediterranean diet a few years ago. I strongly recommend these things as they have a proven record of reducing PMS symptoms."

nightOwl March 18, 2019

Crinone (progesterone): "I used it for IVF/Frozen Embryo Transfer. I’m due with our baby any day now, it was super easy and convenient to use. I’d much rather do this than a intra-muscular shot into the butt every day."

Nic (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2018

"I was prescribed progesterone in early pregnancy due to insufficiency. I switched pharmacies and this p-2 progesterone pill was a new brand that I was switched to. Two hours after taking the first pill (vaginally, as directed) I had spotting. This spotting continued for three days while I was on this pill. One day I didn't take it until the late afternoon and all morning had no bleeding. Then two hours after taking the pill I started bleeding again. I was far enough along in my pregnancy that when I brought this up to my doctor he said that I could safely stop taking it. Ever since I stopped taking this pill, the bleeding had since stopped too! I would not recommend this brand of progesterone."

Baby2017 (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2017

Prometrium (progesterone): "I was diagnosed with hyperplasia. I was experiencing very heavy, clotty periods for YEARS. I thought this was normal until I had a month long period. This pill is heaven sent. I have not had a period for about 8 months, have lost a tone of weight, have more energy than I have had in years and I would say the only side effect is tender breasts. I cannot guarantee this result for everyone but clearly I was no producing my own progesterone."

boomer1171 November 22, 2016

"Hey everyone, told you I'd be back. Lol So I'm still on the AK 100mg. pill. I have lost over 3 pounds. I haven't changed anything since before taking this medication. In fact the only thing it changed is my mood, and stress levels, an of course my hormonal issue. I do have a tiny list of effects it's had on me so far. Ok so, my voice before was deeper an more loud, angry so to speak.(Which was because of too much testosterone in my system.) So my voice started to change 3 days after starting this pill. It gave me a slight sore throat at first. Then my voice would cut out, or crack. So embarrassing...but now I have a softer tone. My depression is much less, I'm much happier now an positive. Acne is gone now too. Btw I'm 38. An progesterone works."

Shell99 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2016

"I'm on AK pill. My doctor said my weight problems an acne are from having no progesterone to regulate my hormones. An that it made my testosterone too high, which makes it hard to lose any weight. Took last night. Slept great. No bloat, an high energy. I'm happy so far. Can't say I have any bad side effects. I'll check back if I get any negatives."

Shell99 October 7, 2016

Prometrium (progesterone): "I've been taking Prometrium for about 4 months now, & for the most part have no side effects. It works like its suppose to and keeps my progesterone to where it needs to be. However, just an FYI you should always take it before bed with food & I mean lights out in bed to sleep not watching TV or playing on your phone/tablet. If you take Prometrium & not go to bed it will cause a euphoric (high) feeling which may be unsettling to some people & may cause panic, because it does feel really weird."

Just an FYI. (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2016

"The first two years on 100 mg were ok with a very rough 3 month adjustment period of feeling emotionally and physically completely wacked out. After two years I started feeling menopausal symtoms of brain fog again so started taking 200 mg. This is my second month, emotional roller coaster angry outbursts, racing heartbeat, no sleep! I am giving it another month to see if things Will get to normal like before. Maybe I have to go through this every several years, part of getting older."

Maureen2 April 26, 2016

Crinone (progesterone): "After a few days of use I had such horrible itching it prevented me from sleeping. The itching took about a week after discontinued use to subside."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2015

Prometrium (progesterone): "I am 49 and have been on this medication for one cycle. The side effects have not been as bad as I had anticipated. I had a few mild headaches, and bit of bloating, tender breasts and a mild acne breakout, and was a bit tired a few days. I am taking it for a proliferative endometrium and after 4 days being off the medicine, I am getting a period, so it seems to be working as planned. I am taking 200 mg."

swhitico81 (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2012

"I am using this in my FET cycle for IVF. I am 4 weeks, 4 days pregnant. I was taking 2 vaginal inserts (100mg) each per day but after blood tests came back showing a very low Progesterone level, my Dr is having me take an additional 600 mg per day in pill form (200 mg, 3x per day). My Dr warned me that I would be very tired and possibly dizzy. I have been on the pills for 3 days now and have noticed that my breast are very tender and swollen which they weren't before and it does make me a little drowsy but not bad, It's manageable. I go back on Tuesday to check my levels."

Amber712 (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2012

"All day dizziness and general blah feeling. Sleep majorly disrupted and when I get it it doesn't do anything to help with the tiredness I already have. Nails grew weak and thin. Also had some numbness in places which went away when I stopped the pill."

Snotori (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2012

Prometrium (progesterone): "I am on 100mg dose, days 14-28 of my period or the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. The first month was great, I felt level, the only side effects felt were extreme sugar cravings and vivid, bizarre dreams. However, in month two, no cravings, extreme mood swings and ranging from a need for a lot of sleep, not wanting to get out of bed to anxiety and very little sleep. No pregnancy yet."

Anonymous October 19, 2011

Prometrium (progesterone): "I'm pregnant and my lab work came back indicating I have a low progesterone level. My doctor prescribed Prometrium and initially I took the medication in the daytime, but then found that it makes me extremely tired. I decided to start taking the medicine at bedtime then started having very bizarre dreams only when I take the medication at bedtime. I informed my doctor,but he dismissed the side effect as not being related. I'm positive the side effect is from the medication. I hope this comment let other women who experience this side effect know that you are not alone. Just because it's not a listed side effect doesn't mean it can't happen."

Anonymous March 20, 2010

"I am taking progesterone suppositories to help sustain my pregnancy after a miscarriage due to insufficient progesterone levels. I began taking it at 4 wks pregnant, and am now 9 weeks along. My side effects have included drowsiness, cramping, bloating and upset stomach. A rather unfortunate side effects has also been vaginal itching and dryness that leads to major discomfort for the hour or two after I have inserted the medication. These are little issues that feel big, but in the grand scheme of things, if this medication helps me to have a healthy pregnany and baby, it will be well worth it."

Anonymous September 25, 2009

Prometrium (progesterone): "I'm 48, and found that this nicely balanced the issues I'm having with estrogen dominance. I've had no side effects that I can tell, but a real clearing up of the fuzzy brain, night sweats, and trouble sleeping. I love it!"

skrumm March 4, 2009

Prometrium (progesterone): "I experienced a few mild side effects - mainly mild nausea and irritability. Well worth the improvement in my overall health."

Anonymous December 31, 2008