User Reviews for Prometrium

Prometrium has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 28 ratings on Drugs.com. 63% of those users who reviewed Prometrium reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Progesterone Insufficiency
Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis
Summary of Prometrium reviews 7.3 28 reviews

Reviews for Prometrium

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2020

For Uterine Bleeding: “I am on 200mg Prometrium due to uterus bleeding and enlarged uterus wall. Other than the bleeding I had no post menopause issues (I am 57 with high estrogen levels). After 2 days of taking medication bleeding stopped - great! After a few more days I started gaining weight, breast tenderness, breast enlarging, very strange dreams every night, very tired during the day although I sleep at least 8 hours now, bad headaches. Too many side effects for me. I went to my naturopathic doctor to do detailed hormone tests. Result = extreme high progesterone level. Make sure you get your hormones tested before taking the medication!”

Fem54BayArea · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2020

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: “I developed severe tinnitus and after 1 week couldn't take generic progesterone for Prometrium any more.”

Beck · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 20, 2020

For Amenorrhea: “I had a uterine ablation 4 years ago at age 46 that failed. The Dr encouraged hysterectomy but my research scared me to so continued to research other options. I learned about prometrium and asked the Dr if I could try it after birth control pills and progestin failed. The Dr said it would not work and she ended up being so wrong. Prometrium gave me my life back and stopped my heavy periods. I have lost weight and feel like myself. I went off of prometrium for about a year but need to go back on at age 50 because I believe the weight loss changed my hormones again. What makes me upset is that 2 OB GYN doctors never told me about prometrium and I suffered in pain and became severely depressed and anemic for several years. Ladies do your research! Healthcare in the US is profit driven and the wellbeing of patients is secondary in my opinion.”

Danielle · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: “After 8 days on this medication I was having full blown panic attacks. I was on 200 mg daily. This is a horrible side effect just want people to know about. It may not do that to everyone but if you have ever had anxiety in the past be careful on your dosage.”

Missy · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 12, 2018

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: “I’m 46, perimenopausal, regular periods. I had very bad PMS and sore breasts for 2 weeks before period, and a serious inability to lose weight. I started this 3 months ago and I’m down 8 pounds, sleeping better and PMS is way better although it took the full 3 months for it to start helping. Now weighing 140 pounds at 5’7. I was very worried about weight gain on this, but it was opposite for me! I take 100mg at bedtime and stop it for 7 days during my period. I also started on Estro support (DIM) to lower estrogen as well. That also made a huge difference! Get your hormones tested so you know exactly what’s going on in your body!”

Stat5150 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 21, 2019

For Progesterone Insufficiency: “I was given prometrium 100mg vaginal inserts 14 days out of the month along with estradiol patch 1mg for post menopausal symptoms. Prior to taking the prometrium, I was sleeping poorly and had stubborn weight around the belly I couldn't get rid of. After menopause, my figure changed and I gained a total of 10 lbs. Well...miraculously in a month on these, I lost 7 of those pounds! I am sleeping really well. Almost too much but maybe I needed it. My post menopause pants are getting too loose now and I think I'll have to unpack my high-rise jeans. Yay for prometrium!”

skrumm March 4, 2009

For Progesterone Insufficiency: “I'm 48, and found that this nicely balanced the issues I'm having with estrogen dominance. I've had no side effects that I can tell, but a real clearing up of the fuzzy brain, night sweats, and trouble sleeping. I love it!”

Just an FYI. · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2016

For Progesterone Insufficiency: “I've been taking Prometrium for about 4 months now, & for the most part have no side effects. It works like its suppose to and keeps my progesterone to where it needs to be. However, just an FYI you should always take it before bed with food & I mean lights out in bed to sleep not watching TV or playing on your phone/tablet. If you take Prometrium & not go to bed it will cause a euphoric (high) feeling which may be unsettling to some people & may cause panic, because it does feel really weird.”

kbehunin November 12, 2010

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: “Taking it at 100 mg. Didn't like the dizzy feeling. Started taking it at night, much better but I feel it building up in my system over time. I wish I could take half or 3/4 as much but it is not available in those doses. I have absorption issues and the liquid form is great except I can't cut it in half. I do like what it does for my thinking, digestion, emotions etc but over time irritability, heavy-dreaming, pregnant-like feeling build-up. I am a small woman about 110lbs, 5 feet and wish smaller doses were available. A little bit goes a long way.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 13, 2019

“I am 21 years old & in about 2 months gained 30 pounds although I worked out consistently & kept a clean diet. In addition I wasn’t sleeping, was retaining so much water I could not wear rings, & had horrific mood swings. However, my main problem was that I could no longer breathe, just speaking or walking felt like a marathon. For 8 months I have had an endless nightmare of appointments & tests with different medical specialist with no answers. After loss of all hope, I finally decided to see a hormone specialist. Because of a mild progesterone deficiency she recommended Prometrium for 6 weeks. I have been on 200 mg. of Prometrium for two weeks now & after only 3 days I started noticing my water retention lessening & I could breathe again! I can now workout better than I ever have been able to in my life, I sleep well, my stress levels are down, & my mood swings have subsided. This medication may have saved my life. Get your hormones checked!”

Anonymous March 20, 2010

For Progesterone Insufficiency: “I'm pregnant and my lab work came back indicating I have a low progesterone level. My doctor prescribed Prometrium and initially I took the medication in the daytime, but then found that it makes me extremely tired. I decided to start taking the medicine at bedtime then started having very bizarre dreams only when I take the medication at bedtime. I informed my doctor,but he dismissed the side effect as not being related. I'm positive the side effect is from the medication. I hope this comment let other women who experience this side effect know that you are not alone. Just because it's not a listed side effect doesn't mean it can't happen.”

Beachmom1974 December 23, 2016

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: “I'm 42 years old and perimenopause has taken over my life. My estrogen dominance was so bad that for 8 whole days before I even started my period I was almost bed ridden. My breasts were so sore, it was as if they were engorged and I, at times, felt a low grade fever coming on. I have a 21 day cycle. I have one week a month that I felt pretty OK... Only one week a month!! Went to the Obgyn and begged for help. I'm now day 5 on prometrium. So far my head is clear, no boob pain, I'm awake not tired, not hungery either. I do have some uterine cramps every afternoon for some reason. I can't wait to see how my whole cycle will be. So far so good, very happy.”

boomer1171 November 22, 2016

For Progesterone Insufficiency: “I was diagnosed with hyperplasia. I was experiencing very heavy, clotty periods for YEARS. I thought this was normal until I had a month long period. This pill is heaven sent. I have not had a period for about 8 months, have lost a tone of weight, have more energy than I have had in years and I would say the only side effect is tender breasts. I cannot guarantee this result for everyone but clearly I was no producing my own progesterone.”

Stephie · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2020

For Perimenopausal Symptoms: “I started taking 200 mg day 14-28 of my cycle. My Dr had me combine it with a progesterone cream. My breasts became bigger and much more tender. I began steadily gaining weight up 7 lbs now. I am going to go off the prometrium and go back to the cream only and see of the sore breasts and weight gain subside. The cream worked well for in the past not sure why my Doc felt I needed both the cream and the pill. I do feel progesterone is wonderful for reducing mood swings and food cravings. That issue is all but abolished when I'm on the progesterones I just am obviously not a fan of the weight gain. So if the goal of the medicine is to increase progesterone levels and decrease mood swings..it IS effective .”

ACE24 November 13, 2008

For Uterine Bleeding: “My doctor is having me take this medication because I have excessive bleeding. So far the bleeding has stopped but I'm on day 10 and the side effects are kicking in. I have breast tenderness, stomach cramps and I makes me very tired. Overall so far it has done what it needs to do. I go off of it in 2 days I'm hoping that my body will regulate.”

rebelsunset August 29, 2014

For Premature Labor: “I was on Prometrium from day 1 up until week 19 then I was placed on the Makena shot which is also progesterone until I was 36 weeks. I fully believe this is why I have my daughter today. She is almost two and has had no side effects from me taking this medication in pregnancy. I have MTHFR FACTOR and low progesterone. This is why I needed to be on this medication”

chicago girl March 10, 2010

For Amenorrhea: “This drug is effective at inducing a period, but it has AWFUL side effects. Basically, you will feel pregnant--tired, dizzy, hungry for junk food, and BLOATED. My breasts grew half a size within 3 days of taking. Then the rest of me caught up and I gained 5lbs in the 10 day time frame that I took this drug. But it did do what it was supposed to do, so I can't totally complain.”

zoda August 19, 2008

For Seizures: “This artical says it's not known what happens with overdose of Prometrium but I can tell you do not take 2 doses at once. I normally take 800mg/day for last 1/2 of my cycle to suppress catamenial seizures. It works great with no negative side effects. I take 200mg every 6 hours. I recently missed a 200mg dose so I took 400mg at once. I was completely anesthesized for a couple of hours. Body went jelly-like. Everything slowed way down to the point that words came too slowly, if at all. Family opted to take me to the ER. Later was determined I was likely not in danger of dying but was clearly knocked out for a while. Memory of much of those 2 hours is totally lost to me. Family says I was pleasant and cooperative but out of it.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2012

For Amenorrhea: “I am currently taking this medication for a missed cycle. I was told to take it at night due to the drowsiness it may cause. So far I have not noticed much of a problem with that. I have been on the pill for 5 days and the side effects are almost unbearable. I have breast tenderness, but also the muscles around my chest/back area are aching to the point of being painful. I called my doctor about this side effect and was told that the medication has not been known to cause achiness. After reading this website I see it is very possible. I have had some dizziness, sweating, and irritability as well. Either way the medication seems to be helping, but I really cannot wait to quit it!”

Melba Bona · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2018

For Uterine Bleeding: “I'm 50 and developed simple hyperplasia. Went eight months without a period and then had a three-week period that was very heavy and sent me to the ER for hemorrhaging. Doctor put me on Prometrium 100 mg daily for three months. After just two pills, I was having panic attacks during the day and at night. Could not take it. Current endometrial lining is 8.4mm after three weeks of bleeding, so likely will need a D&C. Will work with a naturopath to have some hormone testing done. It's likely that this dosage is just too high for me, but Prometrium doesn't come in a lower dose than 100 mg.”

Dawn in NJ July 12, 2009

For Amenorrhea: “Prescribed by my gynecologist to treat amenorrhea and long, heavy periods as a result of anovulation (I have polycystic ovarian syndrome which causes anovulation). Due to the anovulation, I would go several months without a period only to eventually have a period which would last anywhere from 14-35 days. The period would be much heavier than the norm, especially for the first 7-10 days. I would also have very large clot-like discharge. I take Prometrium for 21 days, then off for 7 days(which brings on my period). The only significant side effect has been hot flashes during the day, usually in the late morning I will have one bad one with profuse sweating. Then usually one in the afternoon but it's not as bad.”

swhitico81 · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2012

For Progesterone Insufficiency: “I am 49 and have been on this medication for one cycle. The side effects have not been as bad as I had anticipated. I had a few mild headaches, and bit of bloating, tender breasts and a mild acne breakout, and was a bit tired a few days. I am taking it for a proliferative endometrium and after 4 days being off the medicine, I am getting a period, so it seems to be working as planned. I am taking 200 mg.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 2, 2012

For Premature Labor: “Early pregnancy loss was a huge issue. I have been on prometrium since day after ovulation. I am 18 weeks pregnant. Drs wanted me to stop at 14 weeks I had extra and continued. I ran out for two days and started having contractions. My Dr decided it was best to stay on prometrium due to evidence of risked preterm labor.”

Anonymous October 19, 2011

For Progesterone Insufficiency: “I am on 100mg dose, days 14-28 of my period or the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. The first month was great, I felt level, the only side effects felt were extreme sugar cravings and vivid, bizarre dreams. However, in month two, no cravings, extreme mood swings and ranging from a need for a lot of sleep, not wanting to get out of bed to anxiety and very little sleep. No pregnancy yet.”

etangel February 19, 2012

For Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis: “I am taking this med without any estrogen for endometrial hyperplasia. I am in my first cycle of taking this and already started a period on day 9 of the 12 pills. I really hope this will eradicate my hyperplasia,”

Shernandez0517 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 12, 2016

For Premature Labor: “Mild side affects such as fatigue and hunger, horrible headaches if not taken at all. Seems to work, however for the price paid for the medication seems like they could include a applicator like the ones they give with gels and OTC yeast meds etc. It's not fun or very easy trying to shove pills in your VAGAY with your fingers every single time you must use this medication.”

Anonymous December 31, 2008

For Progesterone Insufficiency: “I experienced a few mild side effects - mainly mild nausea and irritability. Well worth the improvement in my overall health.”

Anonymous March 10, 2011

For Uterine Bleeding: “It saved my baby. I was was showing signs of miscarrying because of my hormone levels. I took this for 12 weeks. The bleeding stopped the next day and I now have a healthy little girl!”