User Reviews for Progesterone to treat Perimenopausal Symptoms

Also known as: Prometrium, Crinone, Endometrin, Cyclogest, Gestone, First Progesterone MC10 Milprosa First Progesterone MC5

Progesterone has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 12 ratings for the treatment of Perimenopausal Symptoms. 33% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Progesterone Rating Summary

5.9/10 average rating

Compare all 10 medications used in the treatment of Perimenopausal Symptoms.

Reviews for Progesterone

Missy · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 12, 2018

Prometrium (progesterone): “I’m 46, perimenopausal, regular periods. I had very bad PMS and sore breasts for 2 weeks before period, and a serious inability to lose weight. I started this 3 months ago and I’m down 8 pounds, sleeping better and PMS is way better although it took the full 3 months for it to start helping. Now weighing 140 pounds at 5’7. I was very worried about weight gain on this, but it was opposite for me! I take 100mg at bedtime and stop it for 7 days during my period. I also started on Estro support (DIM) to lower estrogen as well. That also made a huge difference! Get your hormones tested so you know exactly what’s going on in your body!”

Danielle · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

Prometrium (progesterone): “After 8 days on this medication I was having full blown panic attacks. I was on 200 mg daily. This is a horrible side effect just want people to know about. It may not do that to everyone but if you have ever had anxiety in the past be careful on your dosage.”

Lorijita April 22, 2012

“I am soon to be 49 and I was feeling so bad, hotflashes, 30 pounds of weight gain in 2 yrs, insomnia, foggy brain and a very large appetite, to name a few right but saw a doctor (alternative) and he did blood work and found my testosterone was so low and my progestin. So I now take a small dose of testosterone cream and 200 mg of natural progestin and can I tell you I feel like I did in my 30's. Use progestin at night, testosterone in the morning. I have lost 12 pds in about 40 days and it continues to fall off. Sleeping like a baby, no hot flashes and I think more clearly and my memory is awesome too. I do take a lot of supplements that work with the hormones. ”

Ms. G · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2013

“I am a 51 year old woman diagnosed with fibroids and have experience very heavy bleeding. With the added issue of the pre-menopausal symptoms I felt like I was losing my mind. Have been taking Progesterone 200mg for about a week and I haven't felt this good in years. No more cloudy head, joint pains and night sweats are almost gone. Best part is I'm not craving junk food and sweets.. So far so good, no weird side effects. This is the best!”

kbehunin November 12, 2010

Prometrium (progesterone): “Taking it at 100 mg. Didn't like the dizzy feeling. Started taking it at night, much better but I feel it building up in my system over time. I wish I could take half or 3/4 as much but it is not available in those doses. I have absorption issues and the liquid form is great except I can't cut it in half. I do like what it does for my thinking, digestion, emotions etc but over time irritability, heavy-dreaming, pregnant-like feeling build-up. I am a small woman about 110lbs, 5 feet and wish smaller doses were available. A little bit goes a long way.”

Beachmom1974 December 23, 2016

Prometrium (progesterone): “I'm 42 years old and perimenopause has taken over my life. My estrogen dominance was so bad that for 8 whole days before I even started my period I was almost bed ridden. My breasts were so sore, it was as if they were engorged and I, at times, felt a low grade fever coming on. I have a 21 day cycle. I have one week a month that I felt pretty OK... Only one week a month!! Went to the Obgyn and begged for help. I'm now day 5 on prometrium. So far my head is clear, no boob pain, I'm awake not tired, not hungery either. I do have some uterine cramps every afternoon for some reason. I can't wait to see how my whole cycle will be. So far so good, very happy.”

Stephie · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2020

Prometrium (progesterone): “I started taking 200 mg day 14-28 of my cycle. My Dr had me combine it with a progesterone cream. My breasts became bigger and much more tender. I began steadily gaining weight up 7 lbs now. I am going to go off the prometrium and go back to the cream only and see of the sore breasts and weight gain subside. The cream worked well for in the past not sure why my Doc felt I needed both the cream and the pill. I do feel progesterone is wonderful for reducing mood swings and food cravings. That issue is all but abolished when I'm on the progesterones I just am obviously not a fan of the weight gain. So if the goal of the medicine is to increase progesterone levels and decrease mood swings..it IS effective .”

Cyberpunk · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2020

“I got a hormone test and have low progesterone and high estrogen. I am 48 years young. My new menopause doctor put me on 100 mg of progesterone but I didn't like the side effects. I was really tired and my period started up again. I went off it and feel better. I think I am going natural because I don't think there is a medical reason for taking this. I'm afraid to tell my doctor because I was pressured into it. Nine years ago I took a Depo shot, 15 mins later I fell on my knees on the sidewalk in nyc in a skirt and couldn't stand up for 20 mins. A group of Dominican men called an ambulance for me. The EMS gave me water and I went home. I proceeded to bleed for 3 months after. They also had to give me calcium because it caused bone loss. I'm not saying this is the same, but it is progesterone and unless I have a life threatening illness that requires hormone replacement I think I'm going natural.”

kat June 17, 2019

“Does anyone else have a problem taking the 100mg (red, round gel ball) capsule made by Akorn inc? I find the capsule keeps sticking to the sides of my throat. It really bothers me so I am going to see if there is another brand.”

DeeColette October 21, 2019

“HRT has been a God send for me. I was recently diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). Experienced very painful abdominal discomfort monthly and had very few cycles. HRT was recommended as a low risk starting point for treatment. I sought an all natural organic product that was easy to incorporate into my daily routine. After much research a friend suggested a product and I am feeling better than I have in a really long time. I am using a cream on certain days of my cycle each month and the pain has subsided and my cycle has regulated itself. I am 54 and in perimenopausal and the symptoms of this are minimal as well. I am more than pleased with this treatment and highly recommend it as a low side effect starting point. Using a product that contains a therapeutic amount of progesterone is important for maximum benefit. I am hoping I found a long term solution, because I feel sooo much relief and comfort each month using this HRT cream.”

61778 September 24, 2017

“I take progesterone 100mg one a day and estradiol 1mg one a day. I have bad headaches, and start bleeding again when my period stop almost 2 years ago. My hot flashes slowed down but still there. Am I suppose to do these things? I need to know more from someone who takes those meds.”

Lois Lane · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2020

“This medicine smells strongly chemical and made me bleed for weeks. I had to switch to Dr. Reddit’s brand. Would not recommend. 200mg I had to pay $100 out of my own money because my insurance had already paid for this one. But I really didn't like it so much, I paid for the Dr. Reddy’s.”

Fem54BayArea · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2020

Prometrium (progesterone): “I developed severe tinnitus and after 1 week couldn't take generic progesterone for Prometrium any more.”

Anonymous May 18, 2011

Prometrium (progesterone): “I take this medicine in conjunction with applications of divigel ”